jplatts
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:53 pm

WN announced Sunday-only nonstop service to AMA from HOU starting on October 6th, and the announcement can be found at https://www.swamedia.com/releases/release-c06a3e840c57c0ad7c0871e84c0ed4fa-southwest-airlines-adds-new-nonstop-flights-to-route-map.

There are still some more domestic nonstop routes such as HOU-CVG, HOU-CLE, HOU-DTW, HOU-RSW, HOU-MSP, HOU-ONT, HOU-SFO, and HOU-PBI that could be added by WN out of HOU.
 
HouStrategies
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:17 pm

zm093 wrote:
What do you guys think are the most underserved markets from IAH?


In general, it would be great to see IAH serve as more of a connecting hub between Asia and Latin America (something I think LAX dominates right now). Specifically, Asiana to ICN.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5871
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:42 pm

HouStrategies wrote:
zm093 wrote:
What do you guys think are the most underserved markets from IAH?


In general, it would be great to see IAH serve as more of a connecting hub between Asia and Latin America (something I think LAX dominates right now). Specifically, Asiana to ICN.


DFW is probably the biggest from Asia to Deep South America right now. It’s hard to connect in LAX to the same airline though I’m sure split tickets are common.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 792
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:45 pm

There is another thread on here started this week about the CEO of TAP stating he wants to start service to IAH ( among others) in 2020. I think this would be good for IAH and good for Houston area travelers to have easier access to the Iberian peninsula and North Africa. Obviously TAP being in Star Alliance probably tipped their decision.
Do you think the addition of TP to Houston would work in favor of IAH attracting SN or LX in the future, or would it hurt it by throwing too much European capacity at IAH, given there are already 4 other EU carriers operating there already?
 
zm093
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:21 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
There is another thread on here started this week about the CEO of TAP stating he wants to start service to IAH ( among others) in 2020. I think this would be good for IAH and good for Houston area travelers to have easier access to the Iberian peninsula and North Africa. Obviously TAP being in Star Alliance probably tipped their decision.
Do you think the addition of TP to Houston would work in favor of IAH attracting SN or LX in the future, or would it hurt it by throwing too much European capacity at IAH, given there are already 4 other EU carriers operating there already?


I don't think SN or LX would fare well.

OZ to ICN seems more realistic
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:31 pm

I think there’s room for a *A-affiliated airline like TP to carry high yielding business traffic to LAD and other destinations and fill seats to other destinations with connecting traffic ... essentially replicating the growth over the Pacific. Flying from Houston to Europe isn’t cheap as it is from other markets of size. I get the Atlanta calculus, too, for similar reasons although that’s a much tougher nut to crack.

SN I could see similarly ... they’d probably be even better situated but capacity is controlled by the A++ JV.

LX I don’t see much of a case for. MUC would have to stabilize long before that happened. Or I guess MUC could be replaced, but I don’t think the JV is working in that direction.
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 792
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:36 pm

1836Sam wrote:
I think there’s room for a *A-affiliated airline like TP to carry high yielding business traffic to LAD and other destinations and fill seats to other destinations with connecting traffic ... essentially replicating the growth over the Pacific. Flying from Houston to Europe isn’t cheap as it is from other markets of size. I get the Atlanta calculus, too, for similar reasons although that’s a much tougher nut to crack.

SN I could see similarly ... they’d probably be even better situated but capacity is controlled by the A++ JV.

LX I don’t see much of a case for. MUC would have to stabilize long before that happened. Or I guess MUC could be replaced, but I don’t think the JV is working in that direction.


You're certainly correct when you talk about fares Houston-Europe being above average. Though bargains can be found, Y class fares are usually north of US$1100r/t during the busier months. Asia flying is substantially cheaper.

I think that MUC has stabilized from here. It was flown all winter this year AFAIK, which is a switch from a couple years ago, when it was basically seasonal. My opinion on TP is that they will fill the void of oil-related Africa flying that SN could take advantage of, and keep SN out of the market. LH doesn't offer a robust Africa network, so much of that flying is scooped up by AF at IAH currently.
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 792
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Ethiopian has announced service to ADD via LFW to commence on 23 June using a 788 aircraft 3x weekly. This puts IAH back into the 6 continent club. The aircraft will spend quite a bit of time on the ground at IAH, and the departure will be in the middle of the big Euro departure bank.
While this had been announced a few months back, I think this is the first we've seen the actual schedule.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2019/
 
Airlines0613
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:06 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:24 pm

The Emir of Bahrain has stated intentions on starting flights from BAH-IAH on GF. That would be interesting if it comes to fruition.
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
The Emir of Bahrain has stated intentions on starting flights from BAH-IAH on GF. That would be interesting if it comes to fruition.


The direct quote: “looking at the possibility of direct flights to Houston,” not “intentions of starting flights.”

It’s really a throwaway quote. No different than any other political delegation issuing resolutions of support for nonstop service to Houston.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5871
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:01 pm

1836Sam wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
The Emir of Bahrain has stated intentions on starting flights from BAH-IAH on GF. That would be interesting if it comes to fruition.


The direct quote: “looking at the possibility of direct flights to Houston,” not “intentions of starting flights.”

It’s really a throwaway quote. No different than any other political delegation issuing resolutions of support for nonstop service to Houston.


Agreed. That’s one I sure don’t see starting.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
LH658
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:22 pm

1836Sam wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
The Emir of Bahrain has stated intentions on starting flights from BAH-IAH on GF. That would be interesting if it comes to fruition.


The direct quote: “looking at the possibility of direct flights to Houston,” not “intentions of starting flights.”

It’s really a throwaway quote. No different than any other political delegation issuing resolutions of support for nonstop service to Houston.


Difference is Bahrain is a Monarchy some what, so higher chance of starting vs some MP from the UK saying I would like to see direct flights from London to Khartoum.
 
1836Sam
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:31 pm

LH658 wrote:
1836Sam wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
The Emir of Bahrain has stated intentions on starting flights from BAH-IAH on GF. That would be interesting if it comes to fruition.


The direct quote: “looking at the possibility of direct flights to Houston,” not “intentions of starting flights.”

It’s really a throwaway quote. No different than any other political delegation issuing resolutions of support for nonstop service to Houston.


Difference is Bahrain is a Monarchy some what, so higher chance of starting vs some MP from the UK saying I would like to see direct flights from London to Khartoum.


Who said anything about an MP from the U.K.?!

The guy is coming to Houston to drum up investment. You don’t see how saying “Oh yeah, we may think about possibly doing that one day” is about as meaningless as it comes?

But, as you’ve proven a couple times, that doesn’t stop people from biting.
 
LH658
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:45 pm

1836Sam wrote:
LH658 wrote:
1836Sam wrote:

The direct quote: “looking at the possibility of direct flights to Houston,” not “intentions of starting flights.”

It’s really a throwaway quote. No different than any other political delegation issuing resolutions of support for nonstop service to Houston.


Difference is Bahrain is a Monarchy some what, so higher chance of starting vs some MP from the UK saying I would like to see direct flights from London to Khartoum.


Who said anything about an MP from the U.K.?!

The guy is coming to Houston to drum up investment. You don’t see how saying “Oh yeah, we may think about possibly doing that one day” is about as meaningless as it comes?

But, as you’ve proven a couple times, that doesn’t stop people from biting.


I was making a comparison. Yes he is coming to Texas, to bring energy companies to the table opportunity of Bahrain energy sector, and also if it can happen, maybe getting a direct flight started between the 2 cities, if those companies are willing to send their workers on GF.
 
UGLYRAED
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:18 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:16 pm

LH658 wrote:
1836Sam wrote:
LH658 wrote:

Difference is Bahrain is a Monarchy some what, so higher chance of starting vs some MP from the UK saying I would like to see direct flights from London to Khartoum.


Who said anything about an MP from the U.K.?!

The guy is coming to Houston to drum up investment. You don’t see how saying “Oh yeah, we may think about possibly doing that one day” is about as meaningless as it comes?

But, as you’ve proven a couple times, that doesn’t stop people from biting.


I was making a comparison. Yes he is coming to Texas, to bring energy companies to the table opportunity of Bahrain energy sector, and also if it can happen, maybe getting a direct flight started between the 2 cities, if those companies are willing to send their workers on GF.


gulf air has stated that the next 787's will have crew rest areas so they could operate to the US in 2020. coupled with this statement, it makes a lot of sense.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Did EK randomly downgrade back to the 77W or was this scheduled? https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ek211
 
User avatar
drerx7
Posts: 4380
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:19 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:45 pm

A380 due back may 22nd I believe
HOUSTON, TEXAS
 
tkoenig95
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:22 pm

drerx7 wrote:
A380 due back may 22nd I believe

Is this because of the runway closure at DXB?
 
hohd
Posts: 768
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm

I would like to see these 2 cities connected to IAH. HKG I know there are lots inexpensive fares chasing HKG, but a nonstop could get a premium and the other is ZUR. As far as ICN, Korean already tried that once, may be second time is the charm.
 
jplatts
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:26 pm

hohd wrote:
I would like to see these 2 cities connected to IAH. HKG I know there are lots inexpensive fares chasing HKG, but a nonstop could get a premium and the other is ZUR. As far as ICN, Korean already tried that once, may be second time is the charm.


UA or OZ could add IAH-ICN nonstop service, and UA would be able to connect passengers onto OZ flights from IAH at ICN if UA adds IAH-ICN nonstop service.
 
YoungDon
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu May 31, 2001 9:33 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:43 pm

jplatts wrote:
hohd wrote:
I would like to see these 2 cities connected to IAH. HKG I know there are lots inexpensive fares chasing HKG, but a nonstop could get a premium and the other is ZUR. As far as ICN, Korean already tried that once, may be second time is the charm.


UA or OZ could add IAH-ICN nonstop service, and UA would be able to connect passengers onto OZ flights from IAH at ICN if UA adds IAH-ICN nonstop service.


I've long thought that OZ was the better carrier for this route, but given their financial issues and lack of aircraft, it will probably have to be UA. Seems like a natural 787 route, but I don't see it happening soon unfortunately.

ZRH and HKG both seem like long shots for now, not sure what traffic would drive these routes. Swiss doesn't really bring anything that UA doesn't get from LH, and the local market from Houston to Hong Kong is small.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 13872
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:11 pm

jplatts wrote:
WN announced Sunday-only nonstop service to AMA from HOU starting on October 6th, and the announcement can be found at https://www.swamedia.com/releases/release-c06a3e840c57c0ad7c0871e84c0ed4fa-southwest-airlines-adds-new-nonstop-flights-to-route-map.

There are still some more domestic nonstop routes such as HOU-CVG, HOU-CLE, HOU-DTW, HOU-RSW, HOU-MSP, HOU-ONT, HOU-SFO, and HOU-PBI that could be added by WN out of HOU.


I would really like to see WN bring back HOU-EWR, once or twice daily.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5871
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:33 pm

YoungDon wrote:
jplatts wrote:
hohd wrote:
I would like to see these 2 cities connected to IAH. HKG I know there are lots inexpensive fares chasing HKG, but a nonstop could get a premium and the other is ZUR. As far as ICN, Korean already tried that once, may be second time is the charm.


UA or OZ could add IAH-ICN nonstop service, and UA would be able to connect passengers onto OZ flights from IAH at ICN if UA adds IAH-ICN nonstop service.


I've long thought that OZ was the better carrier for this route, but given their financial issues and lack of aircraft, it will probably have to be UA. Seems like a natural 787 route, but I don't see it happening soon unfortunately.

ZRH and HKG both seem like long shots for now, not sure what traffic would drive these routes. Swiss doesn't really bring anything that UA doesn't get from LH, and the local market from Houston to Hong Kong is small.


I would have loved that but given OZ’s financial troubles and the fact they couldn’t make ORD work even with 4.5 times the O&D, IAH is out of the question.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:26 pm

YoungDon wrote:
jplatts wrote:
hohd wrote:
I would like to see these 2 cities connected to IAH. HKG I know there are lots inexpensive fares chasing HKG, but a nonstop could get a premium and the other is ZUR. As far as ICN, Korean already tried that once, may be second time is the charm.


UA or OZ could add IAH-ICN nonstop service, and UA would be able to connect passengers onto OZ flights from IAH at ICN if UA adds IAH-ICN nonstop service.


I've long thought that OZ was the better carrier for this route, but given their financial issues and lack of aircraft, it will probably have to be UA. Seems like a natural 787 route, but I don't see it happening soon unfortunately.

ZRH and HKG both seem like long shots for now, not sure what traffic would drive these routes. Swiss doesn't really bring anything that UA doesn't get from LH, and the local market from Houston to Hong Kong is small.

I think ZRH or BRU will be the next European destinations at IAH. BRU for Africa connections and ZRH for pharma with TMC.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 5871
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:00 am

TWA772LR wrote:
YoungDon wrote:
jplatts wrote:

UA or OZ could add IAH-ICN nonstop service, and UA would be able to connect passengers onto OZ flights from IAH at ICN if UA adds IAH-ICN nonstop service.


I've long thought that OZ was the better carrier for this route, but given their financial issues and lack of aircraft, it will probably have to be UA. Seems like a natural 787 route, but I don't see it happening soon unfortunately.

ZRH and HKG both seem like long shots for now, not sure what traffic would drive these routes. Swiss doesn't really bring anything that UA doesn't get from LH, and the local market from Houston to Hong Kong is small.

I think ZRH or BRU will be the next European destinations at IAH. BRU for Africa connections and ZRH for pharma with TMC.


IAH-ZRH isn’t a big market.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"
 
jplatts
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:09 am

STT757 wrote:
I would really like to see WN bring back HOU-EWR, once or twice daily.


I agree that WN bringing back HOU-EWR nonstop service might possibly happen since (a) WN recently brought back BNA-EWR nonstop service, (b) WN has already announced plans to bring back BWI-EWR nonstop service, and (c) EWR is one of the top destinations traveled to from HOU that isn't currently served nonstop from EWR.
 
User avatar
AVENSAB727
Posts: 1354
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:18 am

https://www.mysanantonio.com/business/b ... 281158.php
2019 shaping up to be a good year for IAH and HOU.
Always look on the bright side of Life!
 
klakzky123
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:05 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 pm

Apologies if this has been posted already but I see that the IAH-LFW flight on ET is finally starting in December. Hopefully, it actually starts this time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos