Blueknows

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:48 pm

BGR has customs all the time. Its setup for just that scenario. AC are not stopping in PQI. Give me a break. Dont even bring that eas skywest crap up

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:45 am

Blueknows wrote:
BGR has customs all the time. Its setup for just that scenario. AC are not stopping in PQI. Give me a break. Dont even bring that eas skywest crap up

No need to be a a douche. You said BGR was the last airport between here and Europe. I assume you meant capable of handling jets? PQI, while unlikely to be used, is the last airport. The runway is long enough and there is Customs. Delta flew mainline there back in the day. As well as Northeast. If there was a fire in the cargo hold, the cockpit filling up with smoke, and PQI was 150+miles closer than BGR, it could indeed be used in the case of emergency. And it would correctly be the last airport in the U.S. able to accommodate a mainline passenger aircraft. Corporate jets also stop there for fuel enroute to Europe on occasion.

N664US

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:31 am

33lspotter wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
Fex180 wrote:

Wayback machine for the Wikipedia page on BGR shows DL / Comair flying BGR-BOS until December 2009.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090827151 ... al_Airport

If that true, I’ll stand corrected. Departed flights didn’t have anything past 1999.

My knowledge is PWM history 1980-current. However, it is Wiki. Anybody can go on there and post whatever they want. There’s been inaccurate historical things on there about PWM.

A wayback capture of the BGR airline page from July 2008 shows mention of its non-stop service to BOS. Couldn't get any captures from 2009, but assuming that BGR updated its website somewhat consistently we can infer that they ran at least through mid-2008.

Call me crazy considering that topic is a week old, but...

airtimes.com has a few (old) timetables available from Delta. I'm not sure how, but snooping through their website found me both the 2008 timetable (eff. 04/01) (http://www.airtimes.com/cgat/usb/delta/pdf/dl080401.pdf) and 2010 timetable (eff. 06/01) (http://www.airtimes.com/cgat/usb/delta/pdf/dl100601.pdf).

Note that Delta shows a nonstop BOS-BGR in spring 2008, but the nonstop disappears by summer 2010...

paysonmt77

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Delta is starting BGR-DTW sat seasonal only service in June. Hopes are that they will go year round according to BIA. Service stopped in 2017.

Fex180

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:32 pm

paysonmt77 wrote:
Delta is starting BGR-DTW sat seasonal only service in June. Hopes are that they will go year round according to BIA. Service stopped in 2017.

Service is only running June 8th through August 10th. A very modest seasonal run indeed. It looks like a CRJ-9 will be used.

It's good to see growth at BGR though. They've been mostly stagnant for a few years now. I would assume part of that stagnation is more central Maine travelers using PWM.

paysonmt77

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Article posted in MaineBiz today about BGR:
Weeks after Portland International Jetport announced it had its all-time busiest year in 2018, Bangor International Airport has announced that 2018 was a record-breaker there, too.
Both facilities are expanding domestic flights, with Bangor International Airport announcing Tuesday that Delta Airlines would reintroduce service from Bangor to Detroit Metro Airport on June 8 and Portland announcing last month that United Airlines will start seasonal service to Denver this spring.
In 2018, Bangor International Airport saw more than 600,000 passengers, which translates to a 10% increase over 2017 traffic, according to a March 5 news release.
January through October all proved to be record-breaking months, bringing 2018 higher than either of the prior two years, which each had broken traffic records at the Bangor airport.
"We are grateful to be part of such a wonderful community that understands the value of our airport and the vital role that Bangor International Airport plays in the local economy," Airport Director Tony Caruso said in the release. "We also are thankful to our employees who continue to provide the best customer service in the business, and the proof is the record numbers we keep seeing year after year."
Last month, the Portland International Jetport announced that more than 2.13 million passengers used the jetport in 2018. Overall traffic was up 14.6% year-over-year, surpassing the previous record 1.86 million passengers in 2017.
More domestic service
Delta's seasonal service from Bangor to Detroit Metro Airport that begins on June 8 will fly Saturdays through Aug. 10, with hopes to expand in 2020 if supported by passenger traffic. Bangor last had service to Detroit in November 2016..
Delta also offers daily nonstop service from Bangor to New York's LaGuardia airport, Philadelphia and Reagan National in Washington, D.C.
In Portland, United Airlines' nonstop seasonal weekend service to Denver will run from June 8 through Labor Day, providing easy connections through Denver to popular West Coast destinations.

paysonmt77

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:44 pm

PWM has just announced they are the recipient of the 2018 ASQ Award winners for "Best Airport"
Under 2 million passengers
North America
Fort McMurray International Airport (Fort McMurray, Canada)
Portland International Jetport (Portland, United States)

Between 2 and 5 million passengers
North America
El Paso International Airport (El Paso, United States)
Ottawa International Airport (Ottawa, Canada)

With the new passenger count, it will interesting if they can compete with the 2-5 category

paysonmt77

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:55 pm

PWM has now updated their website to include airport stats on passenger counts. January 2019 has been posted with 123,949 total passengers , January 2018 108,340 and January 2017 106,791
January is usually a slow month, so far its 15K more passengers than last year . Last years stats do not include Frontier. Frontier started service late in 2018 MCO, RSW, and TPA

Portlander

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Got a tour of the construction site at PWM last week. The central lower portion (circa 1969) of the terminal that leads from the concourse exit to baggage claim is progressing well and will be completed next month. Moving the escalators back has really opened up the area and the design elements that are being incorporated will give it a contemporary and classy appearance. Off white tiles are being installed not only on the lower level, but also on the upper passenger corridor between Gates 1 through 6. As funds become available, the tiling may continue all the way to Gate 11 to cover up numerous cracks in the new terminal's concrete flooring. Some future projects include reconfiguring baggage carousel number 1 and adding a fourth near the current restaurant, continued apron and taxiway improvements and a 3 gate terminal expansion to west when airline demand requires it.

33lspotter

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:42 am

paysonmt77 wrote:
With the new passenger count, it will interesting if they can compete with the 2-5 category

I'd love it if they could but that may be a bridge too far. Not only is it from "top of one league" to "bottom of the next," but I am not sure they are capable of adding many more destinations at the moment (or at least compared to others in the 2-5 million category). Would love to be wrong!

mjgbtv

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:21 am

33lspotter wrote:
paysonmt77 wrote:

I'd love it if they could but that may be a bridge too far. Not only is it from "top of one league" to "bottom of the next," but I am not sure they are capable of adding many more destinations at the moment (or at least compared to others in the 2-5 million category). Would love to be wrong!

This is a service quality award based on passenger satisfaction. I'm not sure if things like the number of destinations would have much direct impact. My guess is they try to focus on the details of the passenger's particular visit.

Fex180

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Looks like WN isn't doing Saturday PWM-MCO this year, which makes sense given the overabundance of Florida seats on F9. They have added a 5th daily frequency on PWM-BWI for parts of this summer. And maintain 4x daily to BWI well into late fall. I'm still curious as to why they haven't tried a daily MDW flight, at least seasonally. It's much better for western connections than BWI

Fex180

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Looks like WN isn't doing Saturday PWM-MCO this year, which makes sense given the overabundance of Florida seats on F9. They have added a 5th daily frequency on PWM-BWI for parts of this summer. And maintain 4x daily to BWI well into late fall. I'm still curious as to why they haven't tried a daily MDW flight, at least seasonally. It's much better for western connections than BWI

lat41

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:50 pm

Fex180 wrote:

I call this the Southwest "Westbound Wall". WN keeps a lid on capacity headed West from PVD, MIT and presumably PWM in hopes of bolstering their Westbound business from BOS. There, there are many seats headed out in that direction, many being sold at lowball prices as Southwest did not garner the business travelers and FFs as it thought and competition is particularly punishing at BOS. Pinching back capacity to the West at WN's other airports and keeping rates high, in theory was to funnel business to BOS. This is why you won't see too many adds to MDW, STL, DEN etc. The effect is debatable.

EK77WNH

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:29 pm

I think WN moving into BOS will be seen as a net drain rather than a gain. The planes can’t turn there in their customary Half-hour like they could at the secondary cities. But, someone somewhere told them they had to be at the big-City airports, and here they are...for better or worse. There can’t be more than one or two BOS routes that WN has to itself. And consequently, they have to fight with fares to fill the seats. None of that would have been the case at MHT or elsewhere.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

paysonmt77

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Swa did fly from pwm to mco this year only Saturday only in February. They will only fly mdw Saturday only this summer into fall. My feeling is that swa is tight with plane availability. Pwm has alot of lift to the Chicago area with united and aa, at some point when swa has more planes delivered from Boeing you should see at least a daily flight to mdw...seasonal.

Fex180

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:13 pm

paysonmt77 wrote:
Swa did fly from pwm to mco this year only Saturday only in February. They will only fly mdw Saturday only this summer into fall. My feeling is that swa is tight with plane availability. Pwm has alot of lift to the Chicago area with united and aa, at some point when swa has more planes delivered from Boeing you should see at least a daily flight to mdw...seasonal.

My mistake. I remember 2017 and 2018 the Saturday MCO flights ran from Feb. through May. Really right now PWM has an overabundance of seats to Florida on F9. Not surprised WN cut MCO back a bit. I think there's plenty of demand for a daily MDW flight, especially with UA cutting back a bit with mainline PWM-ORD

VS4ever

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:18 pm

Latest Regional adjustments from the OAG thread (copyright to Enilria of course for doing all the work). As he points out, the ORH-PHL reduction is curious down to less than daily, especially in June. But all cuts here sadly, unless up-gauges have taken place to balance them out.

AA BDL-LAX JUN 1.0>0.6[1.0]
AA BDL-PHL JUN 6>5[6]
AA BTV-PHL JUN 5>4[5]
AA MHT-PHL JUN 6>5[6]
*AA ORH-PHL JUN 1.9>0.8[0]
AA PHL-PVD JUN 6>5[6]
AA PHL-PWM JUN 6>4[6
AC BDL-YUL APR 0.9>0.7[3]
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Fex180

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:35 am

VS4ever wrote:
Latest Regional adjustments from the OAG thread (copyright to Enilria of course for doing all the work). As he points out, the ORH-PHL reduction is curious down to less than daily, especially in June. But all cuts here sadly, unless up-gauges have taken place to balance them out.

AA BDL-PHL JUN 6>5[6]
AA BTV-PHL JUN 5>4[5]
AA MHT-PHL JUN 6>5[6]
AA PHL-PVD JUN 6>5[6]
AA PHL-PWM JUN 6>4[6

doesn't appear to be any upgagues, at least at PWM. Looks like mostly E-175s and CRJ-7's. BTV is mostly ERJ-145's with the occasional E-175. Not seeing any mainline equipment for Portland, which is odd. Usually PWM-PHL is consistently 5-6x daily with mainline equipment mixed in . I wonder whats causing this big PHL cutback.

jplatts

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:28 am

lat41 wrote:
Fex180 wrote:

I call this the Southwest "Westbound Wall". WN keeps a lid on capacity headed West from PVD, MIT and presumably PWM in hopes of bolstering their Westbound business from BOS. There, there are many seats headed out in that direction, many being sold at lowball prices as Southwest did not garner the business travelers and FFs as it thought and competition is particularly punishing at BOS. Pinching back capacity to the West at WN's other airports and keeping rates high, in theory was to funnel business to BOS. This is why you won't see too many adds to MDW, STL, DEN etc. The effect is debatable.

WN currently serves FLL, RSW, MCO, TPA, DCA, and PBI nonstop from PVD but not from BOS.

WN bringing back PVD-DEN nonstop service might happen since (a) DEN is one of the top destinations traveled to from PVD that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from PVD, (b) WN has announced plans to bring back BUF-DEN nonstop service starting in June 2019, and (c) WN is still expanding at DEN. There is also a significant amount of passengers connecting to destinations in the Western U.S. from PVD, and WN bringing back PVD-DEN nonstop service would allow for easier connections to the Western U.S. from PVD (and vice versa). There is also a significant amount of passengers connecting to DEN from PVD, even with F9 serving DEN nonstop from PVD.

WN bringing back PVD-BNA nonstop service might happen since (a) BNA is one of the top destinations traveled to from PVD that isn't currently served nonstop from PVD, (b) WN is still expanding at BNA, and (c) there is probably enough demand for WN to bring back PVD-BNA on at least a seasonal basis, even with WN already serving BNA nonstop from BOS.

WN also adding PVD-STL nonstop service is another possibility since (a) WN is still expanding at STL, (b) STL is one of the top destinations traveled to from PVD that isn't currently served nonstop from PVD, and (c) there are some destinations that WN doesn't serve nonstop from BWI or MDW that are served nonstop from STL on WN.

While WN served MCI nonstop from PVD in the past, WN is unlikely to bring back PVD-MCI nonstop service with WN already serving PVD nonstop from BOS. There are also currently fewer passengers connecting to MCI from PVD than passengers connecting to DEN, BNA, or STL from BNA.

uconn99

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:22 am

Fex180 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

AA BDL-PHL JUN 6>5[6]
AA BTV-PHL JUN 5>4[5]
AA MHT-PHL JUN 6>5[6]
AA PHL-PVD JUN 6>5[6]
AA PHL-PWM JUN 6>4[6

doesn't appear to be any upgagues, at least at PWM. Looks like mostly E-175s and CRJ-7's. BTV is mostly ERJ-145's with the occasional E-175. Not seeing any mainline equipment for Portland, which is odd. Usually PWM-PHL is consistently 5-6x daily with mainline equipment mixed in . I wonder whats causing this big PHL cutback.

BDL gets an additional A319 during June for 2 daily. In July BDL-PHL looks to go back to 6x daily with 1x 319, 1x E175, 1x E190, 1x CR7, 1x CRJ, 1x ER4.

Is it possible the less than daily LAX flight in June is result of Project Oasis issues?

uconn99

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:25 am

jplatts wrote:
lat41 wrote:
Fex180 wrote:

WN currently serves FLL, RSW, MCO, TPA, DCA, and PBI nonstop from PVD but not from BOS.

WN bringing back PVD-DEN nonstop service might happen since (a) DEN is one of the top destinations traveled to from PVD that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from PVD, (b) WN has announced plans to bring back BUF-DEN nonstop service starting in June 2019, and (c) WN is still expanding at DEN. There is also a significant amount of passengers connecting to destinations in the Western U.S. from PVD, and WN bringing back PVD-DEN nonstop service would allow for easier connections to the Western U.S. from PVD (and vice versa). There is also a significant amount of passengers connecting to DEN from PVD, even with F9 serving DEN nonstop from PVD.

WN bringing back PVD-BNA nonstop service might happen since (a) BNA is one of the top destinations traveled to from PVD that isn't currently served nonstop from PVD, (b) WN is still expanding at BNA, and (c) there is probably enough demand for WN to bring back PVD-BNA on at least a seasonal basis, even with WN already serving BNA nonstop from BOS.

WN also adding PVD-STL nonstop service is another possibility since (a) WN is still expanding at STL, (b) STL is one of the top destinations traveled to from PVD that isn't currently served nonstop from PVD, and (c) there are some destinations that WN doesn't serve nonstop from BWI or MDW that are served nonstop from STL on WN.

While WN served MCI nonstop from PVD in the past, WN is unlikely to bring back PVD-MCI nonstop service with WN already serving PVD nonstop from BOS. There are also currently fewer passengers connecting to MCI from PVD than passengers connecting to DEN, BNA, or STL from BNA.

Sun Country will be flying PVD-BNA I believe less than daily seasonally?

paysonmt77

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:23 pm

PHL is in the middle of an infrastructure project and is finishing up a runway project this spring and various other terminal projects are underway as well. All flights across the board are affected and reduced. The flights(PWM, BTV, etc.) are back to normal in July. The same is going on in FLL where schedules have been reduced due to runway construction.

PVD757

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 pm

uconn99 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
lat41 wrote:

Sun Country will be flying PVD-BNA I believe less than daily seasonally?

Yes, SY PVD-BNA starts April 8th 4x weekly.

MO11

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:27 am

uconn99 wrote:

BDL gets an additional A319 during June for 2 daily. In July BDL-PHL looks to go back to 6x daily with 1x 319, 1x E175, 1x E190, 1x CR7, 1x CRJ, 1x ER4.

Is it possible the less than daily LAX flight in June is result of Project Oasis issues?[/quote]

The July AA schedule isn't loaded yet.

What is significant in June is that BDL-ORD goes to 4 mainline and one Eagle. There hasn't been that much mainline AA BDL-ORD service in years.

lat41

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:37 am

VS4ever wrote:

AA BDL-PHL JUN 6>5[6]
AA BTV-PHL JUN 5>4[5]
AA MHT-PHL JUN 6>5[6]
AA PHL-PVD JUN 6>5[6]
AA PHL-PWM JUN 6>4[6

Larger equipment mitigates the frequency reduction PVD to PHL. Overall seats might even increase a bit.

btvhopper

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:28 am

paysonmt77 wrote:
PHL is in the middle of an infrastructure project and is finishing up a runway project this spring and various other terminal projects are underway as well. All flights across the board are affected and reduced. The flights(PWM, BTV, etc.) are back to normal in July. The same is going on in FLL where schedules have been reduced due to runway construction.

Then why downguage what was previously mainline mix (albeit E-190s) for these BTV/PWM/MHT routes to E145/175’s? It’s concerning that AA isnt shifting capacity elsewhere to CLT, ORD or DCA to make up for the PHL cuts—or at least I’m not seeing any indication of that.

cloudboy

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:39 pm

VS4ever wrote:

AA BDL-PHL JUN 6>5[6]
AA BTV-PHL JUN 5>4[5]
AA MHT-PHL JUN 6>5[6]
AA PHL-PVD JUN 6>5[6]
AA PHL-PWM JUN 6>4[6

Unfortunately I saw this one coming. I am Exec. Platinum on AA. ORH is just a few minutes drive from my house, yet I have used them a total of twice from ORH, and one of those was for the inaugural.

I hate to put it this way, but I got the impression AA really tried to make this not work. you could not find any workable flight connections, prices are always sky high, you're flying on one of the worst planes in the system, and there are no upgrades. It would have been, should have been, a great service. Instead I could never use them. I think they wanted to "prove" Worcester was unviable.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

tysmith95

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:37 am

Well with the grounding of Norwegians 737 fleet the PVD flights to Ireland are already starting to be cancelled. Norwegian is probably one of the airlines most dependent on the 737 MAX.

RL757PVD

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:48 am

They ran ops with the regular 738 for months so they can do it, probably just weren’t ready to. I did BGO and back which was much a few hundred miles further with the regular 800
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

EK77WNH

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:32 pm

They're using the 787 to Stewart in place of the grounded 737s, as I understand it.
Next Trip:
September

lat41

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:19 pm

[quote="RL757PVD"]They ran ops with the regular 738 for months so they can do it, probably just weren’t ready to. I did BGO and back which was much a few hundred miles further with the regular 800[/quote

It looks as though that is how PVD DUB will be handled starting in a couple of days.

uconn99

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:35 pm

lat41 wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:
They ran ops with the regular 738 for months so they can do it, probably just weren’t ready to. I did BGO and back which was much a few hundred miles further with the regular 800[/quote

It looks as though that is how PVD DUB will be handled starting in a couple of days.

Sounds like they are busing people to SWF for a 787 flight. If this is true, that is terrible.

I noticed on the Norwegian website, both PVD and SWF-DUB is shown as sold out for March and April and $800 plus each way for the summer. I assume this is just temporary until they get things settled.

btvhopper

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:55 pm

BTV off to a solid start in February (pax up 9% YOY) despite AA's cuts and downgauging.

https://www.boarddocs.com/vt/burlington ... istics.pdf

F9 only accounted for a little over 1k of enplanement growth (the MCO route started part way through the month). It'll be interesting to see how them impact the numbers in March when they'll be there over the whole month.

Any AA cuts are getting replaced by DL frequency upgrades, so not to concerned about it (shouldn't be long before DL overtakes AA as second largest airline at BTV). The main concern is B6. They're continuing to decline and lose market share. I'm not sure what their yields and load factors are but it's not looking sustainable especially now with price deflation and competition for Florida destinations from F9.

Anyone know anything on the status of the potential new BOS route (likely to be a DL crj)? My understanding is we're still competing with ROC but an announcement should be imminent....unless DL scrapped the expansion plan entirely.

Fex180

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:40 am

btvhopper wrote:
BTV off to a solid start in February (pax up 9% YOY) despite AA's cuts and downgauging.

https://www.boarddocs.com/vt/burlington ... istics.pdf

The main concern is B6. They're continuing to decline and lose market share. I'm not sure what their yields and load factors are but it's not looking sustainable especially now with price deflation and competition for Florida destinations from F9.

I may be a bit pessimistic, but I think B6 at BTV is one lackluster winter away from reducing BTV to a seasonal route a'la PWM. B6 spent a few years gradually losing ground in Portland, losing market share to WN, AA and F9. BTV seems to be in a similar position now. It seems to me that B6 doesn't really care about origin traffic at many of its smaller destinations. They're only catering to Bostonians and New Yorkers, not Mainers and Vermonters, and I think that's their loss because I know they've lost a lot of loyal customers in the Portland area.

Fex180

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:53 am

Interestingly, F9 carried more pax out of PWM in November and December than they did in July and August. A good indication that the winter Florida routes are performing well.

F9 2018 origin pax numbers from Portland

Jul- 3,465
Aug - 5,579
Sept- 4,460
Oct- 5,883
Nov- 5,853
Dec- 6,013

mjgbtv

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Fex180 wrote:
Interestingly, F9 carried more pax out of PWM in November and December than they did in July and August. A good indication that the winter Florida routes are performing well.

F9 2018 origin pax numbers from Portland

Jul- 3,465
Aug - 5,579
Sept- 4,460
Oct- 5,883
Nov- 5,853
Dec- 6,013

BTV as well, seemingly. F9 already added a third flight for a few weeks, and I noticed on FR24 today that tomorrow's and next Thursday's flights are scheduled to be A321s. In terms of passengers I believe those will be the largest scheduled flights to have operated at BTV.

uconn99

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:59 am

BDL was quite busy yesterday with NCAA charters. The highlight has to be the Ameristar 737-200 bringing 'Nova to town!

9:50AM BDL-JAX SY 738 (Yale)
12:51PM TLH-BDL SY 738 (Florida State)
3:48PM MKE-BDL SY 738 (Marquette)
5:08PM ORF-BDL G4 A319 (Old Dominion)
5:15PM EVV-BDL Swift 734 (Murray State)
6:31PM OAK-BDL SY 738 (St. Mary's)
6:39PM BUF-BDL G4 A319 (University of Buffalo Women's team)
7:37PM LAF-BDL Swift 734 (Purdue)
8:01PM PHL-BDL Ameristar 732 (Villanova) :hyper:

EK77WNH

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:58 pm

So I've booked my business trip to Shanghai for June 1-June 7. I so sincerely wanted to use DL out of Manchester via Detroit, and get on their A350. But the airfare was $1,700. Then I checked Air Canada Boston-Montreal-Shanghai, then Shanghai-Toronto-Boston. 787-9s on both the long legs. That all came to just about $816...less than half.

Boston wins again, MHT loses again. :(
Next Trip:
September

B595

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:57 am

mjgbtv wrote:
I noticed on FR24 today that tomorrow's and next Thursday's flights are scheduled to be A321s. In terms of passengers I believe those will be the largest scheduled flights to have operated at BTV.

Sometime in the 80's, USAir flew a one-off 757-200 PIT-BTV as a special upgauge around the Christmas holiday. Not sure if this was scheduled in advance or was an unscheduled substitution. I learned of it through an ATC exchange (overheard on my VHF scanner) where the pilot of another plane flying or taxiing in sequence with the USAir flight asked if it was a 757 and the BTV tower/approach controller confirmed that, yes, it was. The call sign of the flight was USAir 006.

Alas, I don't have any other proof of this. It would be fun to browse the BTV tower logs from those days, but they are probably long gone.

mjgbtv

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:57 pm

B595 wrote:
mjgbtv wrote:
I noticed on FR24 today that tomorrow's and next Thursday's flights are scheduled to be A321s. In terms of passengers I believe those will be the largest scheduled flights to have operated at BTV.

Sometime in the 80's, USAir flew a one-off 757-200 PIT-BTV as a special upgauge around the Christmas holiday. Not sure if this was scheduled in advance or was an unscheduled substitution. I learned of it through an ATC exchange (overheard on my VHF scanner) where the pilot of another plane flying or taxiing in sequence with the USAir flight asked if it was a 757 and the BTV tower/approach controller confirmed that, yes, it was. The call sign of the flight was USAir 006.

Alas, I don't have any other proof of this. It would be fun to browse the BTV tower logs from those days, but they are probably long gone.

I have read about the 757 also, and I think I might have even heard the USAir station manager at the time mention it, so I believe it was here. The 757 is certainly larger and heavier than the A321, but according to my research an F9 A321 has a lot more seats than a US 757 would have had so I qualified my comment accordingly.

B595

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:45 pm

mjgbtv wrote:
I have read about the 757 also, and I think I might have even heard the USAir station manager at the time mention it, so I believe it was here.

Interesting - maybe I'm not crazy after all :D

mjgbtv wrote:
The 757 is certainly larger and heavier than the A321, but according to my research an F9 A321 has a lot more seats than a US 757 would have had so I qualified my comment accordingly.

Understood - I was thinking only in terms of a/c size.

On a side note: Does anyone know how the UVM men's bball team got to SLC? I did not see a charter on flightaware.

uconn99

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Duplicate post, please delete.
Last edited by uconn99 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uconn99

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:00 pm

B595 wrote:
mjgbtv wrote:
I have read about the 757 also, and I think I might have even heard the USAir station manager at the time mention it, so I believe it was here.

Interesting - maybe I'm not crazy after all :D

mjgbtv wrote:
The 757 is certainly larger and heavier than the A321, but according to my research an F9 A321 has a lot more seats than a US 757 would have had so I qualified my comment accordingly.

Understood - I was thinking only in terms of a/c size.

On a side note: Does anyone know how the UVM men's bball team got to SLC? I did not see a charter on flightaware.

UVM played in Hartford so they took the bus, lost to Florida State in a close game.

B595

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:04 pm

uconn99 wrote:
UVM played in Hartford so they took the bus, lost Florida State in a close game.

That would explain it... :blockhead:

rnav2dlrey

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:19 pm

relevant entries in enilria’s weekly OAG thread:

AA BDL-DFW APR 1.9>1.5[1.9]
AA BDL-LAX APR 0.9>0.2[0.9
AA ORH-PHL JUL 1.7>0.9[0] AUG 2>1.0[0] SEP 2>1.0[0] OCT 2>1.0[1.8] NOV 2>1.0[1.9] DEC 2>1.0[2.0]

B6 BDL-SJU NOV 0>0.9[0.6] DEC 0>1.0[0.8]
B6 MCO-PVD NOV 0>2[1.9] DEC 0>2[1.8]

UA’s PVD-EWR lives on for another week.

i view AA’s BDL-LAX as an indicator of whether BDL can sustain additional transcon routes. as much as i’d like to see DL/AS fly BDL-SEA, i just don’t see it happening anytime soon. maybe PW can win the 797 engine competition and that traffic will spur a SEA flight.

33lspotter

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:33 pm

After five years in Boston I’ll be moving back to the Portland area this spring...I’ve enjoyed my time in BOS (particularly as an avgeek and airline passenger with the variety of international routes) but am a Mainer at heart and am glad to be returning. I’d like to try a couple of PWM F9 flights this summer as 1. Pretty sure it’d be my first mainline flight out of PWM and 2. I have a thing for Airbuses with sharklets.

Question: Has F9’s success thus far at PWM been the carrier’s ability to create new demand versus capitalizing on existing demand?

Edit: I am imagining so because when F9 announced its intention to come to PWM I thought ‘no way, there’s already B6 and WN.’ And while B6 and WN are not exactly maxing out their potential in Portland I did not think F9 would survive, particularly flying to places like RDU, MCO, and DEN — places I did not think could sustain a market involving PWM. Given the addition of new destinations and UA (as it did with BTV) announcing its intention to start its own DEN service, clearly I was wrong. Curious to hear other views.
Last edited by 33lspotter on Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MO11

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:38 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:

i view AA’s BDL-LAX as an indicator of whether BDL can sustain additional transcon routes.

These changes are taking place in 9 days. They will free up a 737-800 to cover for MAX groundings.

Fex180

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:41 pm

33lspotter wrote:
After five years in Boston I’ll be moving back to the Portland area this spring...I’ve enjoyed my time in BOS (particularly as an avgeek and airline passenger with the variety of international routes) but am a Mainer at heart and am glad to be returning. I’d like to try a couple of PWM F9 flights this summer as 1. Pretty sure it’d be my first mainline flight out of PWM and 2. I have a thing for Airbuses with sharklets.

Question: Has F9’s success thus far at PWM been the carrier’s ability to create new demand? I am imagining so because when F9 announced its intention to come to PWM I thought ‘no way, there’s already B6 and WN.’ And while B6 and WN are not exactly maxing out their potential in Portland I did not think F9 would survive, particularly flying to places like RDU, MCO, and DEN — places I did not think could sustain a market involving PWM. Clearly I was wrong.

Welcome back to Portland :) I think you'll be impressed with how the jetport has evolved. I just flew out PWM-CLT-PHX a few days ago, and the new renovations really make the terminal a great experience.

In regards to Frontier, I think they've done a good job at both capturing local demand and bringing in visitors. It seems like they also played a big role in pushing B6 into seasonal service. I was skeptical that RDU would work, but it seems like it was successful enough to come back this year (still 3 x weekly) DEN-PWM is of course coming back this spring-summer with daily frequencies. It also seems the Portland - Florida flights are doing quite well, as I pointed out earlier, F9 handled more origin pax out of Portland in the fall and early winter than they did in the summer, and PWM-MCO has gone year round with some flights being on 321's. Florida has always been one of the most popular destinations for travelers out of PWM, so that's not surprising.

I wish WN would do SOMETHING new at Portland, but they are upgauging a lot of the BWI flights (737's for 738's) and have gone from 3 to 4 x daily PWM-BWI during the slower months.
Last edited by Fex180 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PVD757

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:

AA ORH-PHL JUL 1.7>0.9[0] AUG 2>1.0[0] SEP 2>1.0[0] OCT 2>1.0[1.8] NOV 2>1.0[1.9] DEC 2>1.0[2.0]

B6 BDL-SJU NOV 0>0.9[0.6] DEC 0>1.0[0.8]
B6 MCO-PVD NOV 0>2[1.9] DEC 0>2[1.8]

UA’s PVD-EWR lives on for another week.

i view AA’s BDL-LAX as an indicator of whether BDL can sustain additional transcon routes. as much as i’d like to see DL/AS fly BDL-SEA, i just don’t see it happening anytime soon. maybe PW can win the 797 engine competition and that traffic will spur a SEA flight.

A few more PVD highlights:
B6 PVD-PBI daily stays in the November and December schedules.

SY ups PVD-MSP to 6x weekly for September and October while dropping BOS-MSP.

SY keeps PVD-BNA for September and October at 3x weekly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos