gregpodpl

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Blerg wrote:
Where is LO getting all the slots for these winter increases? I thought the airport was maxed out or is it only in summer?

I think it's maxed out only at the certain times of the day.

SRQLOT

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:18 pm

Blerg wrote:
Where is LO getting all the slots for these winter increases? I thought the airport was maxed out or is it only in summer?

There are still plenty of slots actually it’s the timing issue. The new regional flights are set for evening or night so there is space. Now Wroclaw needs an extra flight or two each day. Szczecin needs more flights because they almost get no connections across the Atlantic and that’s the biggest complaint I hear. Bydgoszcz wants LOT too but it’s almost as close to WAW like Lublin. There is more Poland regional traffic that LOT can, but it needs aircraft. The 737MAX was supposed to be doing flights to KRK, GDN and others at the busiest flights, but we know how it this went.

Blerg

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:41 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
Blerg wrote:

There are still plenty of slots actually it’s the timing issue. The new regional flights are set for evening or night so there is space. Now Wroclaw needs an extra flight or two each day. Szczecin needs more flights because they almost get no connections across the Atlantic and that’s the biggest complaint I hear. Bydgoszcz wants LOT too but it’s almost as close to WAW like Lublin. There is more Poland regional traffic that LOT can, but it needs aircraft. The 737MAX was supposed to be doing flights to KRK, GDN and others at the busiest flights, but we know how it this went.

I also noticed that they are increasing Belgrade to 11 (from 10) next summer. I hope they also add a night flight from Warsaw as they could use the morning flight to offer connections to their morning wave.

Let's see what they do next summer and what changes they introduce. What is the status on the mini expansion at the airport?

terefere

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:29 pm

gregpodpl wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I think it's maxed out only at the certain times of the day.

Exactly, see https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploa ... Report.pdf
No runway capacity at certain peak times, terminal capacity is also a problem for non-schengen flights.

SRQLOT

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Blerg wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I also noticed that they are increasing Belgrade to 11 (from 10) next summer. I hope they also add a night flight from Warsaw as they could use the morning flight to offer connections to their morning wave.

Let's see what they do next summer and what changes they introduce. What is the status on the mini expansion at the airport?

There are still many flights that don’t offer any good connections and LOT is loosing passengers with that.

As to WAW expansion, who knows with this government freeze on expansion projects. Now that CPK is being moved back to “2029” I’m not sure how LOT can grow to at least 25 million passengers at WAW and be big enough to make CPK viable. Just doesn’t make sense either way. We can now see that KRK and GDN are going to benefit with congestion at WAW (already growth is getting smaller). KRK is working at expansion and GDN is looking at bids for the expansion and just now announcement a plan for Airport City with shops restaurant businesses across the street from the terminal. It will be ironic if this government allows these two airports to grow and risk the centralized idea of CPK airport because they want to harm WAW.

oxonrow

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:57 pm

I saw speculation in a Polish paper that AA was interested in WAW ex ORD (unclear whether seasonally or year-round) but did not receive a welcoming response from the PPL/airport authority (allegedly new routes get priority treatment when it comes to slots at decent times -- and LO already serve ORD).

Anyone know if any LO/One World talks might ensue anytime soon? Star is a punishing prospect for LO, and One World could benefit from a stronger partner in this part of Europe -- AY's Asia traffic competition vs. LO's prospective growth notwithstanding.

SRQLOT

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:13 pm

I know this is LOT thread but Here’s a link to Gdańsk Airport City plans I forgot to add. In polish

https://www.pasazer.com/mobi/news/41993 ... dansk.html

I’m always interested to see that in all these images showing future expansions there are a lot of LOT 787s Lol

Blerg

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:25 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
Blerg wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:

There are still many flights that don’t offer any good connections and LOT is loosing passengers with that.

As to WAW expansion, who knows with this government freeze on expansion projects. Now that CPK is being moved back to “2029” I’m not sure how LOT can grow to at least 25 million passengers at WAW and be big enough to make CPK viable. Just doesn’t make sense either way. We can now see that KRK and GDN are going to benefit with congestion at WAW (already growth is getting smaller). KRK is working at expansion and GDN is looking at bids for the expansion and just now announcement a plan for Airport City with shops restaurant businesses across the street from the terminal. It will be ironic if this government allows these two airports to grow and risk the centralized idea of CPK airport because they want to harm WAW.

I wonder if a way around all this is for LO to introduce higher capacity planes, maybe B739s in higher configuration or to upgauge many roues from E70/75 to E95 and then E95 routes with B738. Then again there is the risk of congesting the inside of the terminal which would create a mess similar to the one at the old IST

terefere

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:22 pm

Blerg wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I wonder if a way around all this is for LO to introduce higher capacity planes, maybe B739s in higher configuration or to upgauge many roues from E70/75 to E95 and then E95 routes with B738. Then again there is the risk of congesting the inside of the terminal which would create a mess similar to the one at the old IST

I think LOT is already doing this - 787-9 instead of 787-8, Max 8 instead of 734, E95 slowly replacing E70 and E75. The planned new fleet expansion will likely further increase avg number of seats per flight. But I'm not sure to what extent this has to do with WAW capacity rather than their growth in scale of operations.

terefere

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:10 pm

easyjet withdraws from WAW-BER, LO steps in with an added daily frequency, bringing the total to 4x daily except Saturdays (27x weekly) (source in Polish: https://www.pasazer.com/news/42002/wars ... sciej.html) This makes BER the german airport with the most flights per week by LO, more than MUC or FRA (of course, there are also codeshares on these)

Blerg

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:50 pm

terefere wrote:
easyjet withdraws from WAW-BER, LO steps in with an added daily frequency, bringing the total to 4x daily except Saturdays (27x weekly) (source in Polish: https://www.pasazer.com/news/42002/wars ... sciej.html) This makes BER the german airport with the most flights per week by LO, more than MUC or FRA (of course, there are also codeshares on these)

How many frequencies did easyJet have? I wonder if someone else will step in. Does W6 fly to Berlin from Warsaw?

terefere

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Blerg wrote:
terefere wrote:

How many frequencies did easyJet have? I wonder if someone else will step in. Does W6 fly to Berlin from Warsaw?

6x weekly in S19, so LO more than compensates in terms of frequencies but seat capacity may still be down. Nope, no W6 - and after AirBerlin went under, LO has monopoly on all WAW-BER flights.
Easy Jet has earlier this year cancelled Geneva and Gatwick to WAW flights, which also benefits LOT.

marcogr12

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:10 pm

terefere wrote:
Blerg wrote:
terefere wrote:

6x weekly in S19, so LO more than compensates in terms of frequencies but seat capacity may still be down. Nope, no W6 - and after AirBerlin went under, LO has monopoly on all WAW-BER flights.
Easy Jet has earlier this year cancelled Geneva and Gatwick to WAW flights, which also benefits LOT.

Why didn't Easyjet make it in the polish market,on such popular routes? If anything they would have been a great alternative to LOT etc
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

Blerg

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:15 pm

Wow I am shocked to see easyJet fail so badly in so many markets from Warsaw, especially since Warsaw is not really a poor market so yields shouldn't be that bad. Good for LO I guess as these yields should further help them improve their finances.

terefere

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:08 pm

I can only speculate, but I think in case of BER, easyjet's low frequency meant that business travelers (are there any to BER?) may have preferred LO. Moreover, LO flew turboprops and easyjet A319 - and mind you, this is a 500 km segment. There is also competition from railways, with 3 or so daily trains. All this could have resulted in low yields.
GVA is typically a high yield market but again, LO has a perfect schedule and typical high yield customers probably won't be trying to save a few bucks flying easyjet. The VFR market is probably much smaller than Berlin.
I am more surprised about Gatwick because the market is there, but the competition is also massive: 33x weekly LO to LCY&LHR, 23x weekly W6 to LTN, 14x weekly BA to LHR, and 18x weekly FR from WMI to STN. Now Easyjet in WAW only has the WAW-Basel route, with small competition from W6 (3x weekly).

Blerg

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 pm

How is Wizz Air doing in WAW? How are they coexisting with LO so far?

terefere

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:57 pm

Blerg wrote:

Looks like they are doing fine. WAW is one of their largest bases in terms of destinations (top 3?), all their planes here are A321, and there are something like 8 of them stationed (pls correct me if that's not accurate). They just announced a new route - to Edinburgh. Most of their routes are different from LOT's, but they do compete directly on some of them and so far no casualties.

thekorean

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:28 am

BUD-ICN is a strange one. Not so much because they are going to start long haul from BUD but why they chose ICN as their first Asian destination out of BUD. I am pretty sure they don't fly daily from WAW.

Blerg

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:47 am

terefere wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Looks like they are doing fine. WAW is one of their largest bases in terms of destinations (top 3?), all their planes here are A321, and there are something like 8 of them stationed (pls correct me if that's not accurate). They just announced a new route - to Edinburgh. Most of their routes are different from LOT's, but they do compete directly on some of them and so far no casualties.

Thanks, I was under the impression that Wizz Air was quite dormant in Warsaw, they have not been expanding as much as they have in other bases. Just an impression I had. I guess Warsaw has a lot of competition so it's not as easy.

smbukas

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:37 am

Blerg wrote:
terefere wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Wizz Air is doing fine, but at the same time, the PPL and LOT protection doesn't help them. When night curfew was introduced in WAW it was for the benefit of LOT and to make charters and Wizz Air life more difficult.

As Wizz Air bases 7-8 aircraft in WAW, they needed to reduce average utilisation when night curfew was introduced. Wizz Air is flying relatively longer sectors and want to start as early as possible and land at the base as late as possible. With curfew, early morning and late-night slots became limited not saying you can land at night or depart at 5 AM. Wizz Air tries to fly some red-eye flights like Lisbon when departing late evening from WAW and arriving early morning, but there are not so many such routes from WAW and the flight times are really terrible. Still, Wizz Air answered to that replacing all A320 to A321 and now and still are a really strong competitor. They are the ones who are able to make easyJet and Norwegian fail in WAW.

marcogr12

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:49 am

terefere wrote:
I can only speculate, but I think in case of BER, easyjet's low frequency meant that business travelers (are there any to BER?) may have preferred LO. Moreover, LO flew turboprops and easyjet A319 - and mind you, this is a 500 km segment. There is also competition from railways, with 3 or so daily trains. All this could have resulted in low yields.
GVA is typically a high yield market but again, LO has a perfect schedule and typical high yield customers probably won't be trying to save a few bucks flying easyjet. The VFR market is probably much smaller than Berlin.
I am more surprised about Gatwick because the market is there, but the competition is also massive: 33x weekly LO to LCY&LHR, 23x weekly W6 to LTN, 14x weekly BA to LHR, and 18x weekly FR from WMI to STN. Now Easyjet in WAW only has the WAW-Basel route, with small competition from W6 (3x weekly).

You could be right about the WAW-TXL route but then again the TXL-CPH is a short one as well and there is competition from SAS, DY but Easyjet is holding its own with double daily flights..I guess it all comes down to yields..LGW was a surprise for me too..I think in the future W6 will take over this route as well, as they already fly BUD,OTP,CLJ,GDN along with the LTN flights...
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

parrotta

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 am

thekorean wrote:
BUD-ICN is a strange one. Not so much because they are going to start long haul from BUD but why they chose ICN as their first Asian destination out of BUD. I am pretty sure they don't fly daily from WAW.

ICN-BUD was one of the top5 unserved links from BUD. lots of Korean companies in Hungary and huge tourist demand.

parrotta

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 am

thekorean wrote:

ICN-BUD was one of the top5 unserved links from BUD. lots of Korean companies in Hungary and huge tourist demand.

lhrsfosyd91

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:53 am

parrotta wrote:
thekorean wrote:

And those high yielding executives will be adjusting their schedule to catch LOT flights I gather?

terefere

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:39 pm

thekorean wrote:

Nope, they fly 5x weekly 789 out of WAW. This is the maximum they can fly given the current bilateral. They have indicated on numerous occasions they want to fly daily, but couldn't. Flying out of BUD is thus also a partial response to restrictions on flying more from WAW. Their BUD-ICN flights are nicely aligned with WAW-BUD flights and take place on those days LO does not fly to ICN from WAW. ICN makes sense also because the bilateral between Hungary and Korea allows for foreign carriers to operate between them. I believe this is not necessarily the case for other East Asian markets. Besides, BUD already has flights to Shanghai and Beijing.

terefere

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 pm

OAG report puts LOT among top 10 airlines with highest seat losses due to Max 8 grounding.

(Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... 60d3731fdf )

I really wonder how did they get these numbers.

SRQLOT

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:36 pm

terefere wrote:
OAG report puts LOT among top 10 airlines with highest seat losses due to Max 8 grounding.

LOT should have had 9 Maxes by now? I think 14-15 by end of this upcoming winter, I think. With the plan to start removing E-170s. So definitely plenty of seats lost, one reason I have been wondering if LOT will make it to 10 million passengers this year

terefere

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:44 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
terefere wrote:

LOT should have had 9 Maxes by now? I think 14-15 by end of this upcoming winter, I think. With the plan to start removing E-170s. So definitely plenty of seats lost, one reason I have been wondering if LOT will make it to 10 million passengers this year

Yes, I guess you are right. 186 eats per plane, 372 seats per return rotation, 150 days Max 8 grounded, accounting for the later scheduled delivery of those planes that were to join LO at a later time and are grounded at Renton, the number makes sense counting maxes could make 4 rotations per day. 4 is tight but I guess possible, depending on the routing.

SRQLOT

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:16 pm

terefere wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:
terefere wrote:

Yes, I guess you are right. 186 eats per plane, 372 seats per return rotation, 150 days Max 8 grounded, accounting for the later scheduled delivery of those planes that were to join LO at a later time and are grounded at Renton, the number makes sense counting maxes could make 4 rotations per day. 4 is tight but I guess possible, depending on the routing.

Yep and LOT makes their rotations really tight during summer hence why all the delays.

terefere

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:43 pm

LOT Polish Airlines to fund tree-planting initiative
(Source: https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... nitiative/ )

Seems like LOT is following the trend.

parrotta

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:12 am

and again, LOT leaves pax in BUD in misery. In the last 1 week, major delays due to problems with 787, 6-7 hours delays, cancelled flight from JFK to BUD, then 2-4 hrs delays in a row, and todays JFK is cancelled.

last week my friend told me his JFK-BUD flight was cancelled for x-mas a week ago, he bought it in March. It happened to him the last winter as well, no wonder why LOT long haul is not really popular in Hungary. Offering a new service and delivering a crap service will not help them. plus the unporfessional and rude ppl at their call center....
they should try better.

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:23 am

LO needs to sort out these operational issues before the next summer season otherwise there will be true mess when transfer passengers start arriving. This might then affect their overall image and many might start avoiding them for flights via WAW.

artflyer

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Blerg wrote:
LO needs to sort out these operational issues before the next summer season otherwise there will be true mess when transfer passengers start arriving. This might then affect their overall image and many might start avoiding them for flights via WAW.

On 19 Sept SP-LRE due to fly JFK-BUD had issues with the chassis at JFK and is stuck there until now. Since then LO was using its WAW based 787s to cover for it in BUD, but apparently it's not that easy, specially that we are in the peak season and issues with RR engines continue. Soon there will be two 787s based in BUD, so maybe that will somehow help.