Blerg
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:45 pm

artflyer wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Anyone know how much compensation they could get?


In their 2018 financial statements they say that if grounding would last until end of July they estimate the loss to not exceed 100 mln PLN (some 25 mln USD). At that time they had 5 max grounded, by now they have 10 grounded and by the year end the number will be 12.

Milczarski also said that on top of 17 B787, already with LOT or to be delivered shortly, the next three wb will also be boing. My guess is that the compensation will be in a form of discounts on these birds, the same way LOT is compensated by RR in relation to engines issue.


Interesting, I wonder if they will get an additional three B789. I suppose they will need larger planes since the situation at WAW doesn't seem to be getting any better in terms of expansion.
 
artflyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Blerg wrote:
artflyer wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Anyone know how much compensation they could get?


In their 2018 financial statements they say that if grounding would last until end of July they estimate the loss to not exceed 100 mln PLN (some 25 mln USD). At that time they had 5 max grounded, by now they have 10 grounded and by the year end the number will be 12.

Milczarski also said that on top of 17 B787, already with LOT or to be delivered shortly, the next three wb will also be boing. My guess is that the compensation will be in a form of discounts on these birds, the same way LOT is compensated by RR in relation to engines issue.


Interesting, I wonder if they will get an additional three B789. I suppose they will need larger planes since the situation at WAW doesn't seem to be getting any better in terms of expansion.


In the meantime WAW expansion got a green light again (as some contracts that were on hold have now been awarded), but all works will take until end of 2022, so still a lot of time. Of course they will be done in stages, so the capacity will grow incrementally (north pier for NS and south pier for S).

I don't think it will be B787. I think they mentioned some time ago they are looking into B78X, so would be suprised if the choice is not between 789 and 78X (in some proportions). They might employ the latter in ORD, YYZ (especially during summer peaks) and ICN, but I still think they will go for all 789.

If LO indeed opens IAD, it will deepen their problems around seasonality, which is one of their top issues. There is no good way around that, except for Asia expansion, which is dragging.

What I am curious about is the short-haul expansion next year. They will have net some 10 max by the end of next year (7 net by its start) (ie. after deduction of the aircrafts that they now wet lease as a replacement for grounded max).
 
Blerg
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:30 pm

artflyer wrote:
Blerg wrote:
artflyer wrote:

In their 2018 financial statements they say that if grounding would last until end of July they estimate the loss to not exceed 100 mln PLN (some 25 mln USD). At that time they had 5 max grounded, by now they have 10 grounded and by the year end the number will be 12.

Milczarski also said that on top of 17 B787, already with LOT or to be delivered shortly, the next three wb will also be boing. My guess is that the compensation will be in a form of discounts on these birds, the same way LOT is compensated by RR in relation to engines issue.


Interesting, I wonder if they will get an additional three B789. I suppose they will need larger planes since the situation at WAW doesn't seem to be getting any better in terms of expansion.


In the meantime WAW expansion got a green light again (as some contracts that were on hold have now been awarded), but all works will take until end of 2022, so still a lot of time. Of course they will be done in stages, so the capacity will grow incrementally (north pier for NS and south pier for S).

I don't think it will be B787. I think they mentioned some time ago they are looking into B78X, so would be suprised if the choice is not between 789 and 78X (in some proportions). They might employ the latter in ORD, YYZ (especially during summer peaks) and ICN, but I still think they will go for all 789.

If LO indeed opens IAD, it will deepen their problems around seasonality, which is one of their top issues. There is no good way around that, except for Asia expansion, which is dragging.

What I am curious about is the short-haul expansion next year. They will have net some 10 max by the end of next year (7 net by its start) (ie. after deduction of the aircrafts that they now wet lease as a replacement for grounded max).


My guess is that if MAX aircraft remain grounded, LO will just lease some more B738s. They seem to be serving them quite well.
 
upintheair2018
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:59 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:50 pm

How an Airbus A350 would look in LOT Polish Airlines livery:

http://www.facebook.com/Aeronews.ro/pos ... 6779324741
 
artflyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Blerg wrote:
artflyer wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Interesting, I wonder if they will get an additional three B789. I suppose they will need larger planes since the situation at WAW doesn't seem to be getting any better in terms of expansion.


In the meantime WAW expansion got a green light again (as some contracts that were on hold have now been awarded), but all works will take until end of 2022, so still a lot of time. Of course they will be done in stages, so the capacity will grow incrementally (north pier for NS and south pier for S).

I don't think it will be B787. I think they mentioned some time ago they are looking into B78X, so would be suprised if the choice is not between 789 and 78X (in some proportions). They might employ the latter in ORD, YYZ (especially during summer peaks) and ICN, but I still think they will go for all 789.

If LO indeed opens IAD, it will deepen their problems around seasonality, which is one of their top issues. There is no good way around that, except for Asia expansion, which is dragging.

What I am curious about is the short-haul expansion next year. They will have net some 10 max by the end of next year (7 net by its start) (ie. after deduction of the aircrafts that they now wet lease as a replacement for grounded max).


My guess is that if MAX aircraft remain grounded, LO will just lease some more B738s. They seem to be serving them quite well.


For now all short-haul expansion is more or less halted, as it is pointless to do it based on wet leased planes. During that time for short-haul ops LO dry leased only 1 used NG and 3 used E95. E95 is where - at least according to rumours - the short-haul fleet expansion will continue (apart from max).

But in my post I meant short-haul expansion following the ban on max being lifted. Prior to the ban, I read for example that WAW-SOF would be doubled, ie from 3 to six daily, what gives some flavour on those plans.
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Definitely a lot of this is repeat. The CEO is feeling the burn because of the fleet so he has to say something about Airbus being an option too. I kept saying LOT should get the 787-10. Good news is on widebody plans LOT is decently on schedule (minus 3 at times 4 grounded 787s). As for a new route, I’m always wrong with these lol, DTW. Maybe should start more routes out of KRK if AA pushes them out of ORD.

As for WAW expansion yes finally some movement, probably the government is embarrassed that WAW is stagnant while other airports in the central/Eastern Europe keep climbing up. Plus how is CPK supposed to make it if WAW can’t get to 25 million even. It will be delayed anyway/hopefully canceled.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
terefere
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:45 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:07 pm

artflyer wrote:
In the meantime WAW expansion got a green light again (as some contracts that were on hold have now been awarded), but all works will take until end of 2022, so still a lot of time. Of course they will be done in stages, so the capacity will grow incrementally (north pier for NS and south pier for S).


I think I missed this, what happened? Which part of the expansion got a green light? What's the source of this info?
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:14 pm

terefere wrote:
artflyer wrote:
In the meantime WAW expansion got a green light again (as some contracts that were on hold have now been awarded), but all works will take until end of 2022, so still a lot of time. Of course they will be done in stages, so the capacity will grow incrementally (north pier for NS and south pier for S).


I think I missed this, what happened? Which part of the expansion got a green light? What's the source of this info?



I read that on a Polish forum Warsaw page few days ago. Apron 1 on north west part will be redone. Then the northern pier widened, and southern pier lengthened as per the plans from February.

Here is a link but it doesn’t have any plans like in the forum.
https://www.rynek-lotniczy.pl/mobile/ro ... -6757.html
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
terefere
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:45 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:28 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
terefere wrote:
artflyer wrote:
In the meantime WAW expansion got a green light again (as some contracts that were on hold have now been awarded), but all works will take until end of 2022, so still a lot of time. Of course they will be done in stages, so the capacity will grow incrementally (north pier for NS and south pier for S).


I think I missed this, what happened? Which part of the expansion got a green light? What's the source of this info?



I read that on a Polish forum Warsaw page few days ago. Apron 1 on north west part will be redone. Then the northern pier widened, and southern pier lengthened as per the plans from February.

Here is a link but it doesn’t have any plans like in the forum.
https://www.rynek-lotniczy.pl/mobile/ro ... -6757.html


Thank you. So, it looks like the Ministry of Infrastructure has lifted the ban on the expansion project. I am surprised this has not received more attention.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:45 pm

It's really impressive to see how much WAW has changed. I remember some 12 years ago when I landed there for the first time, half of the airport was empty and the highlight of the day was to see an old 767 take off.
 
UkiAir
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:59 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:00 pm

I'd LOVE if LOT started BOS. I know its highly unlikely, but it would be awesome.
All the B6 connections from LGA, ROC, BUF and beyond.
But hey, one can hope.
 
terefere
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:45 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:09 pm

UkiAir wrote:
I'd LOVE if LOT started BOS. I know its highly unlikely, but it would be awesome.
All the B6 connections from LGA, ROC, BUF and beyond.
But hey, one can hope.


Well, if I recall correctly it was mentioned somewhere that LOT's strategic plans list IAD, SFO and BOS as the destinations in the US they were interested in. SFO did not work out earlier, so they went with LAX instead. Unless something changed, it would be either IAD or BOS. I do think IAD is more likely, but who knows.
 
thesaladdays
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:20 am

pdp wrote:
upintheair2018 wrote:
LOT Polish Airlines CEO stated today in Warsaw: We will demand compensation from Boeing for the 737 MAX grounding. We would buy A350 and A320neo if the offer from Airbus was right.

https://www.rynek-lotniczy.pl/wiadomosc ... -6801.html


Not surprised myself. It must be terribly frustrating to see your biggest competitor at your home airport (W6) expanding operations and actually recieving new aircraft when you've had to store all of your shiny new aircraft around the four corners of Poland and Washington state because of an issue not of your own doing.


Indeed, first your brand new long-haul fleet is grounded and you have to scramble to cobble something together, then your brand new short/medium-haul fleet is grounded in tragic circumstances and you're in potentially an even worse situation, while your long-haul fleet is still struggling with engine issues.

With all the hype and attention put in before introducing a new fleet the scrutiny is intense once they start arriving. You're trying to build positive brand recognition and your main supplier is constantly letting you down... how would you not consider the alternatives? Even with compensation, your image has been tarnished, not by your own doing, I'm sure there are plenty saying they'll never choose THAT airline again.
 
UkiAir
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:59 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:58 pm

terefere wrote:
UkiAir wrote:
I'd LOVE if LOT started BOS. I know its highly unlikely, but it would be awesome.
All the B6 connections from LGA, ROC, BUF and beyond.
But hey, one can hope.


Well, if I recall correctly it was mentioned somewhere that LOT's strategic plans list IAD, SFO and BOS as the destinations in the US they were interested in. SFO did not work out earlier, so they went with LAX instead. Unless something changed, it would be either IAD or BOS. I do think IAD is more likely, but who knows.


Oh wow, wasnt aware of that! Ill keep mt fingers and toes crossed. Would really love to have them in BOS!
 
gloom
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:02 pm

upintheair2018 wrote:
How an Airbus A350 would look in LOT Polish Airlines livery:


Not really. Winglets would be getting the crane, exactly as on Embraers. Also, LOT letters position does not seem to be right, too close to nose, too far from wing. I also feel it is too white, but have no idea whether LOT would think so.

I don't think we'll see A350 anyways. Just a shot at Boeing to lower the price.

Cheers,
Adam
 
desmoLCY
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:23 am

LOT is opening KRK-JFK, starting in May '20:
LO019 KRK 18:45 - JFK 22:15 (------7)
LO020 JFK 00:15 - KRK 14:50 (------7)
They are also increasing KRK-ORD from 3x to 5x in the summer. Together with the AA flights KRK will have 10 weekly flights to Chicago.

Sources (in Polish):
https://www.pasazer.com/news/42255/lot, ... jorku.html
https://www.fly4free.pl/nowa-trasa-krakow-nowy-jork/
 
Blerg
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:35 pm

KRK-ORD will be a bloodbath as 10 weekly seems too much capacity. Does LO have any feed in KRK?
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Wow!!! Impressive, I guess LOT is showing AA the finger. LOT is finally learning that It doesn’t have to connect everyone thru WAW, it’s good to make more money flying passengers direct. Now if only it would start doing that with Gdańsk! With more 787s coming in next year, start flying there to NYC to get loyal customers before another airline comes in.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Blerg wrote:
KRK-ORD will be a bloodbath as 10 weekly seems too much capacity. Does LO have any feed in KRK?



If definitely could be a bloodbath, but if anyone will leave it will be AA. Its possible that AA could create more tourism growth for KRK from the USA side while LOT will keep locals and some Eastern Europeans. From what i read around there really is no transfer feed to KRK with current destinations, but I’m not sure about the new ones coming up.

When Air Canada started flying from YYZ to WAW for the summers I think LOT still increased flights so possibly both could coexist in KRK too.

Also an update on BUD, LOT is close within months? to opening it’s business lounge and will have a transfer desk.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
artflyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm

KRK is a nice touristic destination, so a good choice for AA after success in Dubrovnik etc. Old Town, Royal Castle, Wieliczka Salt Mine, Dunajec rafting, Auschwitz etc. Good for a couple of days and may easily be combined with Prague or Budapest.

It is rumoured that AA wanted to start ORD-WAW in the first place (that being one of the top routes for LO), but didn't manage to get decent slots in WAW. Given that it is no surprise that LO counteracts to protect its pitch. It could probably be very different, if AA were open to make cs with LO out of this and other US destinations, but it clearly isn't. So no cooperation, only fight.

AA will not leave easily as it will rely on transfer pax on the US side, that are outside of reach of LO. So it will charge them as if it has monopoly on the route, assuring profitability of the route regardless of what happens re O&D. Thus AA would leave only if there is no sufficient interest from this group.

LO may hope for increased outbound travel from a nearby Silesia region (wealthy, densly occupied, good spenders), if a visa requirement for Poles to the US is waived, and this is expected to happen next month. LO is generally preparing itself to a substantial increase in travel to US on that occasion. The other thing they may hope for is a good brand recognition among Polish descent Americans around ORD travelling to Poland, which is a large group of travellers on that route. Finally LO runs the route all-year-round (although with much smaller frequency during winter season, when pax are primarily transfered via WAW), what is also some advantage. Still it will be a bloodbath.

LO may anytime (although with some limitations) downgauge the route from B789 to B788. For now it seems it will have a much bigger capacity on the route than AA.

The key downside for LO is that there are and will be no transfers in KRK, so for them its only O&D.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1687
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:36 pm

artflyer wrote:
AA will not leave easily as it will rely on transfer pax on the US side, that are outside of reach of LO.

...

The key downside for LO is that there are and will be no transfers in KRK, so for them its only O&D.


Does LO not codeshare with UA? Would UA not be feeding the LO ORD-KRK service?
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:23 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
artflyer wrote:
AA will not leave easily as it will rely on transfer pax on the US side, that are outside of reach of LO.

...

The key downside for LO is that there are and will be no transfers in KRK, so for them its only O&D.


Does LO not codeshare with UA? Would UA not be feeding the LO ORD-KRK service?


Yes but United will still try to send you to Frankfurt or Munich first with Lufthansa. Everyone is very aware that LOT is getting the short shtick. LOT could barely get any codeshares with airlines when opening routes in Asia even though they were all Star*.

I checked few options from like Peoria Illinois to Krakow and UA codeshare with LOT is way down there probably in that case because LOT tends to be more expensive to KRK.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
winter
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:01 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:34 am

SRQLOT wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:
artflyer wrote:
AA will not leave easily as it will rely on transfer pax on the US side, that are outside of reach of LO.

...

The key downside for LO is that there are and will be no transfers in KRK, so for them its only O&D.


Does LO not codeshare with UA? Would UA not be feeding the LO ORD-KRK service?


Yes but United will still try to send you to Frankfurt or Munich first with Lufthansa. Everyone is very aware that LOT is getting the short shtick. LOT could barely get any codeshares with airlines when opening routes in Asia even though they were all Star*.

I checked few options from like Peoria Illinois to Krakow and UA codeshare with LOT is way down there probably in that case because LOT tends to be more expensive to KRK.


United doesn’t codeshare with LOT on any TATL op by LO.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:39 am

I think by now LO has realized that it won't get much benefit from UA or Asian Star Alliance carriers. They seem to be relying on themselves.

I do wonder if switching to SkyTeam or oneworld would make more sense to them. Star Alliance is way too crowded in their region with Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa and SAS being their next door neighbors.
 
artflyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:57 am

Blerg wrote:
I think by now LO has realized that it won't get much benefit from UA or Asian Star Alliance carriers. They seem to be relying on themselves.

I do wonder if switching to SkyTeam or oneworld would make more sense to them. Star Alliance is way too crowded in their region with Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa and SAS being their next door neighbors.


There is little benefit, but there is probably no real choice. It just goes that way in the world of JVs. Although I also recall that the previous CEO was openly talking about leaving star and that both ow and skytime have limited coverage here.

LO has an idea of being a first choice airline for Central/Eastern Europe, ie east of Germany and west of Russia from Baltic in the north to exYu in the south. This puts it on a collision course first and foremost with Austrian. A region of low yields but bear in mind that Poland enjoyed a GDP growth (ppp) every year since 1992 and cumulative growth for a decade used to be well above 40%. This is what LO hopes for to grow.
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:35 pm

More bad news for LOT but also other 787 RR operators. RR was hoping to have majority of grounded 787s flying by end of year but now it's been pushed back to Q2 2020.
https://simpleflying.com/rolls-royce-tr ... eline/amp/
Good news is LOT 787 SP-LSB is flying again so 2 are now grounded. Bad news is one 787 got hit by lightning few days ago and other Longhoul multiple flights cancelled.

Also LOT got the first of 2 former JET 737-800. No paint change or cabin change. Just a LOT sticker. I guess they want it to start working ASAP. LOT also has 2 Airbuses leased in it's fleet now.

Also an interview with LOT CEO in polish. No longer looking at 787-8 only bigger.
https://www.pasazer.com/mobi/news/42271 ... i,lot.html
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
parrotta
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Lot started BUD-ICN today
U can see the lot lounge on the pohotos
 
parrotta
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 am

SRQLOT wrote:
Blerg wrote:
KRK-ORD will be a bloodbath as 10 weekly seems too much capacity. Does LO have any feed in KRK?



If definitely could be a bloodbath, but if anyone will leave it will be AA. Its possible that AA could create more tourism growth for KRK from the USA side while LOT will keep locals and some Eastern Europeans. From what i read around there really is no transfer feed to KRK with current destinations, but I’m not sure about the new ones coming up.

When Air Canada started flying from YYZ to WAW for the summers I think LOT still increased flights so possibly both could coexist in KRK too.

Also an update on BUD, LOT is close within months? to opening it’s business lounge and will have a transfer desk.


- Transfer desk exists since summer, lounge opened yesterday. https://www.flickr.com/photos/b767fan/4 ... QjB1Ro0nH0
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:07 pm

parrotta wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:
Blerg wrote:
KRK-ORD will be a bloodbath as 10 weekly seems too much capacity. Does LO have any feed in KRK?



If definitely could be a bloodbath, but if anyone will leave it will be AA. Its possible that AA could create more tourism growth for KRK from the USA side while LOT will keep locals and some Eastern Europeans. From what i read around there really is no transfer feed to KRK with current destinations, but I’m not sure about the new ones coming up.

When Air Canada started flying from YYZ to WAW for the summers I think LOT still increased flights so possibly both could coexist in KRK too.

Also an update on BUD, LOT is close within months? to opening it’s business lounge and will have a transfer desk.


- Transfer desk exists since summer, lounge opened yesterday. https://www.flickr.com/photos/b767fan/4 ... QjB1Ro0nH0


Nice pics! They put up everything fast within few days. My cousin flew KRK-BUD-ORD few days ago + now was disappointed the lounge wasn’t open yet.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
Blerg
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:31 pm

Are the flights out of BUD operated by Polish or Hungarian crew?
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Blerg wrote:
Are the flights out of BUD operated by Polish or Hungarian crew?



LOT was supposed to be hiring 150 Hungarian crew no? No clue how far along they are.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
oxonrow
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:04 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:30 pm

An update in PL media today about CEO's comments on LO opening a new TATL link after PL is included in the visa waiver. SFO cited as most likely (though some say LO should consolidate its LAX presence first), but also IAD (less likely given that UA does not codeshare with LO, which means LO metal would not qualify under Fly America, which would be considerable part of the revenue), BOS and DTW. LO needs feed on US side, and US carrier code-share to get a bigger slice of the TATL pie. Tough one to crack.

*A really does appear a poor choice for LO -- possibly constrains it where it could do better being unaligned. Thoughts?

https://businessinsider.com.pl/firmy/st ... sa/e23m3v9
 
terefere
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:45 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:07 pm

oxonrow wrote:
An update in PL media today about CEO's comments on LO opening a new TATL link after PL is included in the visa waiver. SFO cited as most likely (though some say LO should consolidate its LAX presence first), but also IAD (less likely given that UA does not codeshare with LO, which means LO metal would not qualify under Fly America, which would be considerable part of the revenue), BOS and DTW. LO needs feed on US side, and US carrier code-share to get a bigger slice of the TATL pie. Tough one to crack.

*A really does appear a poor choice for LO -- possibly constrains it where it could do better being unaligned. Thoughts?

https://businessinsider.com.pl/firmy/st ... sa/e23m3v9



Just a clarification to this - UA does codeshare with LO, but it's only a few short-haul routes (e.g. UA2000) . But of course the scale of this completely does not meet the needs.

Which is probably what works in favor of BOS, where there is Jet Blue.
 
oxonrow
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:04 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:44 pm

terefere wrote:
Just a clarification to this - UA does codeshare with LO, but it's only a few short-haul routes (e.g. UA2000) . But of course the scale of this completely does not meet the needs.

Which is probably what works in favor of BOS, where there is Jet Blue.


You're right! UA does not codeshare on TATL flights with LO. This is a bigger issue than I initially thought -- this means not business that is precluded by Fly America Act. Jet Blue is right, given the geography, BOS ultimately also seems a better choice as a feeder destination. SFO less so.
 
parrotta
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Flew today BUD-JFK SP-LRD
Surprisignly no delay...
LF seemed good.

Crew was mixed, pilots polish, most of the flight attendants hungarians, PA in 3 languages.
Business Class full, prem half.
The new LOT business lounge was closed, officially they open in october.

Saw a new LOT transfer center about to open
 
tomgle
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:23 pm

Don't think this has been mentioned here, but interesting to note that the BUD-ICN (both outbound and return legs) are flown along a southern route, i.e. completely avoiding Russian airspace. This means a scheduled flight time of 12h45m on the return leg, whereas other flights following a similar route, e.g. ICN-PRG take about 10.5 hours.
Also, until the winter schedule comes into place, the timetable in BUD is somewhat of a mess, and LOT will regularly have to do ferry a 787 between Warsaw and Budapest. Also, the plane is only scheduled to be at ICN for about 1.5hrs between flights, which is very tight, especially considering LOT's already subpar on-time performance.
(Source in Polish) https://www.pasazer.com/news/42295/buda ... rynku.html Also interesting that the article claims that the Singapore flights aren't bringing the profits expected (no specific source stated for that though).
 
ek241yyz
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:52 pm

tomgle wrote:
Don't think this has been mentioned here, but interesting to note that the BUD-ICN (both outbound and return legs) are flown along a southern route, i.e. completely avoiding Russian airspace. This means a scheduled flight time of 12h45m on the return leg, whereas other flights following a similar route, e.g. ICN-PRG take about 10.5 hours.
(Source in Polish) https://www.pasazer.com/news/42295/buda ... rynku.html Also interesting that the article claims that the Singapore flights aren't bringing the profits expected (no specific source stated for that though).


They dont have Siberian Overflight rights from Hungary. Very costly, time consuming to get done as well. Not surprised they dont fly over Russia.

As for SIN, also not surprised.
For the regular passenger, They are priced quite high on that route. Too bad; they have the perfect time slots...codeshares ...still doesnt do too well.
Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.
 
Blerg
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:41 am

How long has it been since they launched SIN? I guess the route should have matured by now. It also doesn't help EK and QR are quite aggressive in Warsaw so they have a fierce competition for passengers heading to Australia or even south east Asia.
 
parrotta
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:54 am

ek241yyz wrote:
tomgle wrote:
Don't think this has been mentioned here, but interesting to note that the BUD-ICN (both outbound and return legs) are flown along a southern route, i.e. completely avoiding Russian airspace. This means a scheduled flight time of 12h45m on the return leg, whereas other flights following a similar route, e.g. ICN-PRG take about 10.5 hours.
(Source in Polish) https://www.pasazer.com/news/42295/buda ... rynku.html Also interesting that the article claims that the Singapore flights aren't bringing the profits expected (no specific source stated for that though).


They dont have Siberian Overflight rights from Hungary. Very costly, time consuming to get done as well. Not surprised they dont fly over Russia.

As for SIN, also not surprised.
For the regular passenger, They are priced quite high on that route. Too bad; they have the perfect time slots...codeshares ...still doesnt do too well.


I heard they avoid the Ukrainian air space, thatswhy they fly south. Russians would give the rights easily to hungarian based flights as the leaders are too good friends... just look at wizzairs expansions from Bud and Ltn...

Found a photo of the currently based 2 LOT dreamliners in BUD on tuesday.
 
oxonrow
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:04 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:48 am

parrotta wrote:
I heard they avoid the Ukrainian air space, thatswhy they fly south. Russians would give the rights easily to hungarian based flights as the leaders are too good friends... just look at wizzairs expansions from Bud and Ltn...

Found a photo of the currently based 2 LOT dreamliners in BUD on tuesday.


Doubtful argument re UKR airspace. KE VIE-ICN operates the northern route and almost entirely avoids the UKR airspace -- BUD as you know is very close. Besides, LO's other east-bound flights operate via UKR airspace (they only avoid the east of the country). More likely it is the cost of the Siberian rights, which could be heftier than the extra fuel carried/burned via the southern route. But it also suggests to me that the profit margins can't be that great if LO is willing to accept a significantly longer flight time (especially westbound). But I guess profitability of the entire BUD adventure is in question more generally. What I don't is whether Siberia overflight 'slots' are an issue -- a) can a PL carrier obtain them for a H originating flights; and b) whether PL has a limit and it is difficult for the gov't to negotiate a better deal; and c) are these 'timed', ie is there good and bad slots, which may not work for some routes/connectivity.
 
konrad
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:54 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:46 pm

tomgle wrote:
Don't think this has been mentioned here, but interesting to note that the BUD-ICN (both outbound and return legs) are flown along a southern route, i.e. completely avoiding Russian airspace. This means a scheduled flight time of 12h45m on the return leg, whereas other flights following a similar route, e.g. ICN-PRG take about 10.5 hours.


Actual flying times of the last few flights were 9h48 to 10h05 eastbound and 11h39 to 12h05 westbound.
For comparison PRG-ICN on KE was 9h20 eastbound and 10h37-10h53 westbound.
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Read that 787-8 SP-LRH finally made its first flight after sitting on the ground for a whole year, also it flew to EWR today. Yeah of course that was at the expense of another 787 loosing its engine and RR sending a fixed one. So still 3 grounded.

Also on a Polish forum read that GetJet send a A330 to Warsaw for LOT to use to YYZ for at least few days. Anyone have any info about that??? This means there are 5 Airbuses flying for LOT at this point. They should fight to get some of the Thomas Cook aircraft on property at this point.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:17 pm

USA president nominated Poland into the Visa Waiver Program. The process should be completed soon. So I guess we will hear LOTs new USA destination shortly.

https://www.rynek-lotniczy.pl/mobile/pr ... -6929.html
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Well. New USA destination is!!!! San Francisco starting August 5 2020.

https://wiadomosci.wp.pl/wizy-zniesione ... 558048897a


Also interesting fact. Next summer 2020, LOT will fly to Chicago 4 times on Tuesday’s and Saturday’s.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

LOT to fly WAW-SFO

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:56 pm

With Poland about to enter USA visa waiver LOT informed that it would open a new route to the states. It is SFO starting August 5, 2020 at 4 times weekly. It will be 9th route in the USA for LOT, flying time to get to SFO 12 hours.

https://wiadomosci.wp.pl/wizy-zniesione ... 558048897a
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4527
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: LOT to fly WAW-SFO

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:06 pm

August? A little late in the year to capture summer crowds.
mercure f-wtcc
 
SRQLOT
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: LOT to fly WAW-SFO

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:09 pm

mercure1 wrote:
August? A little late in the year to capture summer crowds.



Unfortunately that’s probably because of Rolls Royce. Up to 3 787s might still be out of service thru next summer. If 1 or 2 get fixed by next summer should be more bearable. Even with one more 787-9 being delivered in the coming weeks there is still a shortage of longhoul airplanes.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23967
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: LOT to fly WAW-SFO

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:10 pm

LAX also goes daily in 2020 effective end of March.

Indeed August a bit odd timing and quite late in the season to start.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
COSPN
Posts: 1756
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:33 am

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:46 pm

LO will fly a one time charter 10/7 IND-NAP on the 787 too bad it will be after midnight but glad to see LOT and the 787 in Indianapolis
 
tomgle
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: LOT News Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:04 pm

LOT is once again leasing a EuroAtlantic 767 with 2-4-2 seating in economy - a very tight squeeze, and certainly won't give passengers a good impression of LOT if they unwittingly book a flight operated by this plane.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos