NolaMD88fan

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:06 pm

Garage is going up fast now that that foundation works looks done. They are working fast on the Loyola improvements too! Good to see.

DJSNOLA

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:32 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Garage is going up fast now that that foundation works looks done. They are working fast on the Loyola improvements too! Good to see.

it is .. didnt realize how huge the long term garage would be also it appears the long term garage is actually the tallest structure on the north side of airport.. you can see it easily from i 10 over passes now

flyPIT

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:58 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Just realized I forgot to do this when the August T-100 data came out a couple of weeks ago.

DE (Condor) August Stats
Airport.......Seats......Pax......Load Factor
MSP...........9141......8973........98.09%
SEA.........15762....15328........97.25%
PDX...........9036......8689........96.16%
BWI...........9128......8609.........94.31%
LAS...........8406......7836.........93.22%
SJU...........1928......1793.........93.00%
PHX...........4478......4152........92.72%
ANC...........8402......7421........88.32%
MSY...........4586......3871........84.41%
AUS...........6872......5740........83.53%
PIT..............7140.....5938........83.17%

Considering August is one of the slowest travel months of the year for MSY, I'm quite happy with these loads for DE.

It's interesting that the latest Condor destination LH muscled its way in to is one of the ones with the lowest LF (AUS). Then again AUS (and PIT) were 3x weekly. MSP, PDX, BWI and LAS seem to be killing it considering they all are served 4 or 5x weekly with loads in the mid nineties or higher. I'd expect LH to go after MSP, PDX, and AUS next; BWI being too close to IAD although that hasn't stopped BA.
FLYi

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:11 am

flyPIT wrote:
I'd expect LH to go after MSP, PDX, and AUS next

LH has already announced AUS.

flyPIT wrote:
BWI being too close to IAD although that hasn't stopped BA.

BWI-LHR had long been subsidized by the government of Maryland, hence helping that flight develop.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SeanM1997

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 am

Does anyone know if New Orleans to London Heathrow is going daily from W19 and if so have a source?

NolaMD88fan

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:07 am

According to a person who works for a Oneworld carrier at the airport, the local staff was notified that an announcement will be made soon of the flight going daily. This will likely coincide with the finalization of the winter schedule. The last increase from 4x to 5x weekly occurred with the start of the winter schedule, so this would be par for the course if it indeed happens.

flyPIT

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:41 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

flyPIT wrote:

BWI-LHR had long been subsidized by the government of Maryland, hence helping that flight develop.

Oops.. I was thinking LAS but typed AUS. As far as BWI, BA has been there since 1985, long before it was subsidized.
FLYi

ricport

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:05 pm

flyPIT wrote:

BWI-LHR had long been subsidized by the government of Maryland, hence helping that flight develop.[/quote]

How many years should a flight be allowed to "develop" before the taxpayer-fueled tap should be shut off?

ricport

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:08 pm

flyPIT wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

flyPIT wrote:

Oops.. I was thinking LAS but typed AUS. As far as BWI, BA has been there since 1985, long before it was subsidized.

BA may have been there since 1985, but if it weren't for the endless largesse of inept Maryland politicians fueled by taxpayer dollars, they probably would have pulled out a long time ago. It's the aviation/governmental equivalent of tying a liver around your kid's neck to get the cats to play with him.

DJSNOLA

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 pm

As we approach 2 months and counting to opening whats peoples thoughts on what will and wont be open in time? Im still a bit concerned about the parts of the access road near the intersection with loyola... sure hope they can get that done in time to allow access to the airport.. othertwise it seems like a good portion of that new long term garage may be ready to be used if not opening at least by june/july. Pretty much any vendor hoping to be ready for opening day would need to be under construction by now

SunsetLimited

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:44 pm

Everything is going to be open and ready to go for 5/15 *except* for some of the vendors. Most of the vendors will be open, but not all.
Spread hope like fire.

msycajun

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:14 pm

My big question is how will the gates be allocated. I imagine there will be more shared/common use that at present. Last I heard was DL/UA/AC/B6/NK on C WN/AA/AS on B and F9/SY/BA/CM/DE and any others on A.

Assuming 9-10 gates for DL/UA/AC, 1 for B6 and 3-4 for NK, that will be fairly tight on C (15 gates). 7 for WN, 5 for AA, and 1 for AS doesn't leave much extra room on B (14 gates). However there should be plenty of space on A (6 gates). At WN and NK's growth rates, I wonder if they may need to move B6 and AS to A at some point.

SunsetLimited

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:21 pm

Airlines on B or C will be able to operate from A as needed since there will be common use gates. For example in the morning,airlines with a lot of RON aircraft will have departures from A.... AA, DL, UA, etc.
Spread hope like fire.

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:37 pm

ricport wrote:
How many years should a flight be allowed to "develop" before the taxpayer-fueled tap should be shut off?

That's a subjective question.

I'd personally say: so long as the tangible benefits outweigh the expenditure, then have no problem with keeping it into perpetuity.
Someone obsessed with "the market!" might feel otherwise.

DJSNOLA

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:15 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
ricport wrote:

I'd personally say: so long as the tangible benefits outweigh the expenditure, then have no problem with keeping it into perpetuity.

Totally agree with you! Sometimes the route itself may not make sense to subsidize in and of itself but a city might find other tangibke benefits from having the route ... that are hard to quantify but are definitely there. I think subsidizing domestic routes outside of to the nations capital is silly but international routes have a certain prestige to it sort of like nfl, nba or mlb teams have ... obviously its ideal to have something sustain itself on its own but i can see why baltimore ( maryland) would subsidize it for this long

DJSNOLA

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
Everything is going to be open and ready to go for 5/15 *except* for some of the vendors. Most of the vendors will be open, but not all.

Any idea on when they will start trial
Runs of the airport ? Would be fun to volunteer for this

Also im guessing the priority pass lounge and vino bolo def wont be ready to open since they were awarded later on ?

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
Any idea on when they will start trial Runs of the airport

Already have. Though don't know of any involving the public.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:39 am

I don't think there are going to be any trial runs involving the public. I do remember reading that an open house for the public will occur shortly before the opening date. I'm pretty sure it will be restricted to landside areas of the terminal complex given security concerns.

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 pm

NolaMD88fan

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 am

Yup...taxiway H has been in use since they started work on the taxiway G extension to taxiway S last month.

LAX772LR

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:55 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Yup...taxiway H has been in use since they started work on the taxiway G extension to taxiway S last month.

Is it official that they're going to extent (whatever taxiway it is) to the end of Rwy11?

NolaMD88fan

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:35 am

There is an RFQ out for the design and engineering portion of the taxiway G extension to the end of RWY 11, so it seems to be moving forward. Once the design and engineering is done, the construction contract should be bid out shortly thereafter. Who knows how long that process will take though.

DJSNOLA

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:48 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Is it official that they're going to extent (whatever taxiway it is) to the end of Rwy11?

bids were due this week for the RFQ

ricport

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:33 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
ricport wrote:

Totally agree with you! Sometimes the route itself may not make sense to subsidize in and of itself but a city might find other tangibke benefits from having the route ... that are hard to quantify but are definitely there. I think subsidizing domestic routes outside of to the nations capital is silly but international routes have a certain prestige to it sort of like nfl, nba or mlb teams have ... obviously its ideal to have something sustain itself on its own but i can see why baltimore ( maryland) would subsidize it for this long

For starters, I don't believe government should be in the business of giving hard-earned taxpayer $$ to businesses who can decide for themselves whether or not to enter a market, unless there is some extraordinary extenuating circumstance. Next, the only metric that should be used is whether or not the flight can support itself. If not, then there is absolutely no reason why government should be fueling it with taxpayer $$ in perpetuity, just for "prestige." Businesses in MD may think it's great to have BA service out of BWI, but if they're not taking it, then why should the taxpayers be asked to support it?

Finally, I could even possibly see a short-term government grant to get a route started -- especially in an area that does not already have other nearby airports currently providing a robust offering of international service - but in BWI's case, all this amounts to is endless government largesse, year after year, in order to stroke MD politicians/B-More Chamber egos. It's time to cut off the tap, and either the route makes it on its own or it doesn't.

DJSNOLA

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:50 pm

There’s a new taxiway at MSY. Say hello to Taxiway H!

LAX772LR

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 am

ricport wrote:
For starters, I don't believe government should be in the business of giving hard-earned taxpayer $$ to businesses who can decide for themselves whether or not to enter a market, unless there is some extraordinary extenuating circumstance. Next, the only metric that should be used is whether or not the flight can support itself. If not, then there is absolutely no reason why government should be fueling it with taxpayer $$ in perpetuity, just for "prestige." Businesses in MD may think it's great to have BA service out of BWI, but if they're not taking it, then why should the taxpayers be asked to support it?

Finally, I could even possibly see a short-term government grant to get a route started -- especially in an area that does not already have other nearby airports currently providing a robust offering of international service - but in BWI's case, all this amounts to is endless government largesse, year after year, in order to stroke MD politicians/B-More Chamber egos. It's time to cut off the tap, and either the route makes it on its own or it doesn't.

You could've just summed that up by saying "I harbor holistically subjective parameters that no one else has any reason to care about."

Less typing that way. :)

NolaMD88fan

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:46 am

New aerial posted.

Dirt work looks basically complete for the taxiway G extension to taxiway S. Concrete pouring of the ramp near concourse A looks almost done as well. New parking garage is visible going up on the east side of the terminal. Glad to see an overhead awning is being built between the garage and the terminal to protect passengers from the elements. There is also a new walkway in place in the open air lot to the west.
Overhead signage is also up on the road network.

ricport

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
ricport wrote:

You could've just summed that up by saying "I harbor holistically subjective parameters that no one else has any reason to care about."

Less typing that way. :)

...and how is your drivel any different, pray tell?

msyflyer

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:57 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
New aerial posted.

Dirt work looks basically complete for the taxiway G extension to taxiway S. Concrete pouring of the ramp near concourse A looks almost done as well. New parking garage is visible going up on the east side of the terminal. Glad to see an overhead awning is being built between the garage and the terminal to protect passengers from the elements. There is also a new walkway in place in the open air lot to the west.

I'm not trying to be a cynic here, but with less than 65 days before opening, I'm not very confident this opening will occur. If it does, I'm afraid it's going to be a half assed opening which is not cool.

SunsetLimited

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:13 pm

It will be open on May 15. Not all of the vendors will be open, perhaps some of the landscaping will still be a work in progress, but the terminal opens to passengers on May 15.
Spread hope like fire.

DJSNOLA

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 pm

msyflyer wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
New aerial posted.

I'm not trying to be a cynic here, but with less than 65 days before opening, I'm not very confident this opening will occur. If it does, I'm afraid it's going to be a half assed opening which is not cool.

As someone that works in real estate and construction you would be surprised how quickly things can move at the end... having only landscaping and road word left to do is definitely feasible. My biggest concern if there is one is just the intersection of loyola and vets// hopefully thats ready to go.. also we should start seeing installation of new interstate signage for the airport within the month.. im cautiously optimistic the date will stand and deliver a great opening... no reason to wait for every little thing to be open ... thats just an unreasonable expectation with so many moving parts

DJSNOLA

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:20 pm

Oh another note ... i was having a conversation at a bar this weekend and its still amazing to me how many people still dont know the scale of the new airport or even what it is... many people will be in for quite the shock

LAX772LR

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 am

ricport wrote:

if you have a specific example of such you wish to refute or disparage, then by all means: point it out and let's discuss.

DJSNOLA

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:20 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
ricport wrote:

if you have a specific example of such you wish to refute or disparage, then by all means: point it out and let's discuss.

can we focus on relevant topics here folks

On topic... i noticed the entry roads to the airport from the loyola are looking like they are progressing well so I definitely am not concerned about the road (at least the part from loyola south to the airport making it in time.

also on the LA Dotd site it shows this for the letting date for loyola overpass:

Jefferson 2019-07-01 H.011670 I-10 I-10 / Loyola Interchange Improvement Interchange Improvement $70,000,000 to $100,000,000 0.65

NolaMD88fan

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:18 am

Great shot of the new terminal. Shocked how tall the new parking deck is. Didn't expect it to be taller than the terminal.

Agreed on the roads. Things are progressing quickly on that front. Glad to see the new flyover ramps are going out for bid this Summer.

msyflyer

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:47 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Great shot of the new terminal. Shocked how tall the new parking deck is. Didn't expect it to be taller than the terminal.

Agreed on the roads. Things are progressing quickly on that front. Glad to see the new flyover ramps are going out for bid this Summer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new parking garage is (partially) open if/when the NT opens in May.

ricport

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:44 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
ricport wrote:

How about:

"I'd personally say: so long as the tangible benefits outweigh the expenditure, then have no problem with keeping it into perpetuity.
Someone obsessed with "the market!" might feel otherwise."

Your missive is the same as mine -- opinion. This board is about expressing ideas and opinion, as well as fact. You seem to not grasp that, and instead resort to juvenile attacks. Disagree with me all you want - but try to act like an adult about it, instead of a petulant 8-year old.

And, the last time I checked, you do not own this site, so your board nannying is not appreciated.

DJSNOLA

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Personally I just ignore people that cant grasp how to interact like a mature adult online.. not worth my time

Anyways, I never fully understood the reason for the airlines all investing in a new underground fueling system for the new airport themselves... perhaps someone on here could explain in layman terms why the airlines would find this valuable enough to pay for themselves and what it means from an operational standpoint compared to the current airports truck fueling system...thanks

LAX772LR

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 am

ricport wrote:
And, the last time I checked, you do not own this site, so your board nannying is not appreciated.

No one actually cares what you appreciate, but between the two posts, you seem to have missed that one was only a response to a direct question. Asked by you in fact. Which makes it even more odd that it'd escape you.

DJSNOLA wrote:
Anyways, I never fully understood the reason for the airlines all investing in a new underground fueling system for the new airport themselves... perhaps someone on here could explain in layman terms why the airlines would find this valuable enough to pay for themselves and what it means from an operational standpoint compared to the current airports truck fueling system...thanks

Less risk of FOD by trucks, potentially one less contractor/staffer (driver) required depending on ops, less requirement for multiple trucks if tank size is less than 6000gallons, etc.

ricport

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:34 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
ricport wrote:

No one actually cares what you appreciate, but between the two posts, you seem to have missed that one was only a response to a direct question. Asked by you in fact. Which makes it even more odd that it'd escape you.

And what exactly makes you think that anyone cares what you have to say?

You, nor I speak for "everyone" - only ourselves. Bottom line is your board bullying doesn't move me. I will not be cowed by the petty likes of you. Since you seem intent to have the last word here, I hereby acquiesce.

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:21 am

ricport wrote:
Bottom line is your board bullying doesn't move me. I will not be cowed by the petty likes of you. Since you seem intent to have the last word here, I hereby acquiesce.

Get off your cross and get a freakin' life already. No one's "bullying" you... I've not said three words to you in the past, and wouldn't notice you in the future, if only you'd cease sending quote notations.

msyflyer wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the new parking garage is (partially) open if/when the NT opens in May.

Has there been any indication that they wouldn't be finished concurrently? Separate delays?

msycajun

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:02 am

Doing a spot check of the WN schedule extension into October shows MSY up to 64 weekday and 73 Sunday departures. That's up roughly 8-10 compared to last fall.

I read somewhere recently that the second garage is going to be partially opening in July and complete in September. I think that was from an official source, but I can seem to find it now.

DJSNOLA

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:49 pm

msycajun wrote:
Doing a spot check of the WN schedule extension into October shows MSY up to 64 weekday and 73 Sunday departures. That's up roughly 8-10 compared to last fall.

I read somewhere recently that the second garage is going to be partially opening in July and complete in September. I think that was from an official source, but I can seem to find it now.

you werent mistaken it said maybe even as early as june a partial opening of it...

DJSNOLA

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:23 pm

NolaMD88fan

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Great perspective.

LAX772LR

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 am

msycajun wrote:
64 weekday and 73 Sunday departures.

So where are these extra ones going to on Sundays? I'm guessing SMF, SJC, CUN, and where else?

SunsetLimited

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:07 am

It looks like SMF is off the map.

PIT, RDU, CMH, IND, and SJC are Sunday-only. Other daily routes must be seeing extra frequencies.
Spread hope like fire.

Jshank83

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:23 am

MCI and BNA have an extra Sunday flight to MSY compared to their weekday flights.

STL has 2 extra.

LAX772LR

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:35 am

^ ah, well those above, seem to be the 9!

SunsetLimited wrote:
It looks like SMF is off the map.

For good? I thought it was going seasonal?

msycajun

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:00 am

Notably LAX, DEN and AUS are 3 daily, MDW, BWI and MCO, 4 daily and SAT 2 daily. In addition to what was mentioned above, ATL, DCA, DAL, and LGA see extra Sunday flights and HOU, DEN, and LAX have one fewer on Sundays.

As for SMF, a bit surprising seeing that they even made the service daily last December. Just a hunch, but it seems like they may be shifting a bit to the older model of higher frequency short haul and "hubs" versus longer thinner routes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos