SunsetLimited
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 06, 2019 12:32 pm

I think the addition of YUL gives MSY 8 international destinations. Not bad for a mid size market.
Spread hope like fire.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1355
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 06, 2019 1:18 pm

I took a commercial flight into MSY last week for the first time in more years than I can count. The old terminal was still pleasant, and I like the Uber pick up area.

We arrived at night, so I only saw the new terminal from a distance and lit up, but it looked great! Congrats, NOLA a.nutters, on a great new terminal on its way.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Any idea on when the Montreal flight goes on sale? also what days of the week it will fly?
 
QB504
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 06, 2019 4:45 pm

MSY - YUL non-stops showing up on Google Flights beginning in December for $286 RT.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 06, 2019 6:27 pm

TS will fly on Thu/Sun from November to April. That’s peak cruise ship season.
Spread hope like fire.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 06, 2019 7:27 pm

perfect thanks for the information
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 07, 2019 6:23 pm

What do you guys think about MSY offering a private terminal like this for travelers?





MAG appoints Jacobs to design unique private terminal at Manchester Airport

Image

Image

https://www.futuretravelexperience.com/2019/05/mag-appoints-jacobs-to-design-unique-private-terminal-at-manchester-airport/
 
msycajun
Posts: 1061
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 07, 2019 7:11 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
What do you guys think about MSY offering a private terminal like this for travelers?

Isn't that basically what NEW is for? Between that and the current south terminal being used for charters, seems like non-public flights are well accommodated.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 07, 2019 7:14 pm

msycajun wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
What do you guys think about MSY offering a private terminal like this for travelers?

Isn't that basically what NEW is for? Between that and the current south terminal being used for charters, seems like non-public flights are well accommodated.

No this is a new concept.. what it does is its almost like a vip setup for commercial flights.. so you pay extra for a vip experience before and after your flights... think of it as the boarding experience of flying private but on commercially scheduled flights.. LA has one that recently opened at LAX
 
msycajun
Posts: 1061
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 07, 2019 7:21 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
msycajun wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
What do you guys think about MSY offering a private terminal like this for travelers?

Isn't that basically what NEW is for? Between that and the current south terminal being used for charters, seems like non-public flights are well accommodated.

No this is a new concept.. what it does is its almost like a vip setup for commercial flights.. so you pay extra for a vip experience before and after your flights... think of it as the boarding experience of flying private but on commercially scheduled flights.. LA has one that recently opened at LAX

Oops, missed the part about commercial flights. Even so, hard to imagine MSY has the volume of celebrities who are flying commercial to compared to a place like LAX to build something like that from scratch. But perhaps it would make sense as a partial re-use of one of the south concourses.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 07, 2019 7:25 pm

msycajun wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
msycajun wrote:
Isn't that basically what NEW is for? Between that and the current south terminal being used for charters, seems like non-public flights are well accommodated.

No this is a new concept.. what it does is its almost like a vip setup for commercial flights.. so you pay extra for a vip experience before and after your flights... think of it as the boarding experience of flying private but on commercially scheduled flights.. LA has one that recently opened at LAX

Oops, missed the part about commercial flights. Even so, hard to imagine MSY has the volume of celebrities who are flying commercial to compared to a place like LAX to build something like that from scratch. But perhaps it would make sense as a partial re-use of one of the south concourses.



Its open to anyone flying commercial in any class to upgrade to the experience so long as their airline participates in it
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Image


Looks like a real airport now ..

btw does anyone know what they will be doing with the current worker parking area to the northwest of the terminal once construction wraps?
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 2:01 am

Interesting idea with the VIP terminal, but don't see enough demand for something like that here.

No clue what the plans are for the worker lot. If the current CONRAC was never built, it would have been the perfect spot to build one there. Alas, that ship has sailed at least until the bonds are paid off for the current CONRAC.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 2:23 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
Image


Looks like a real airport now ..

btw does anyone know what they will be doing with the current worker parking area to the northwest of the terminal once construction wraps?


What are the two gates on the left for? Widebodies?
 
msycajun
Posts: 1061
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 2:34 am

Ishrion wrote:

What are the two gates on the left for? Widebodies?


There will eventually be six bridges on that concourse. Five will be international capable and I think three are designed for widebodies.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12490
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 4:05 am

SunsetLimited wrote:
8 international destinations. Not bad for a mid size market.

...which has no hub tenant, and very little international transfer traffic.

Will be interesting to see what happens if/when the likes of NK or WN decide to flow some international connecting traffic over MSY. Could easily be staring down a 15MM pax year.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 1:56 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
8 international destinations. Not bad for a mid size market.

...which has no hub tenant, and very little international transfer traffic.

Will be interesting to see what happens if/when the likes of NK or WN decide to flow some international connecting traffic over MSY. Could easily be staring down a 15MM pax year.



Always seem like Nola would be a good airport to do that through (especially as an alternate route for when Dallas, atlanta and charlotte get those winter ice storms... )
 
Nola
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Lufthansa is looking to buy Condor. That could mean that LH will not fly to MSY, despite reports of discussions with NOAB.

https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa-condor-takeover/
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 4:02 pm

Nola wrote:
Lufthansa is looking to buy Condor. That could mean that LH will not fly to MSY, despite reports of discussions with NOAB.

https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa-condor-takeover/


I could see as happened in austin a successful run with condor turning into yearly Lufthansa... they could also fold it into their Eurowings brand... but If i remember correctly Condor was partly owned by Lufthansa back in the day ?
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 4:06 pm

Also noticed asphalt pouring on the Loyola access road project looks to be mostly done now with the exception of some exit lanes off I-10 and they are moving full speed ahead on pile driving for the support columns for the interstate signage
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 4:09 pm

Image



Image



Image



Image
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 10:31 pm

DE and LH are so integrated right now, it's basically like having LH flying here already. The only thing lacking is the hard product in the biz class cabin. Hoping LH is allowed by regulators to purchase DE. Would be a win win for all involved.
 
msycajun
Posts: 1061
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 11:05 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
DE and LH are so integrated right now, it's basically like having LH flying here already. The only thing lacking is the hard product in the biz class cabin. Hoping LH is allowed by regulators to purchase DE. Would be a win win for all involved.



I don't quite agree. While it would be a plus for some travelers and has some prestige, you can bet LH would be charging nearly double what DE does. I'd rather see DE remain independent and expand their season and frequency to provide a check on prices. Unfortunately it doesn't seem likely that DY, FI, EI, or other LCCs will be expanding much. However I think a combination of BA and DE leaves open the possibility of AF/DL to CDG at some point and that would be preferable to only BA and LH to me.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12490
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 09, 2019 2:47 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
DE and LH are so integrated right now

Not really, they just have an extensive interline and a limited codeshare.

Cooperative, yes; but no more integrated relative to any other similar agreement.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 09, 2019 4:18 am

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
DE and LH are so integrated right now

Not really, they just have an extensive interline and a limited codeshare.

Cooperative, yes; but no more integrated relative to any other similar agreement.


DE also participates in the Miles and More program and J class pax have access to LH lounges.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 09, 2019 9:45 pm

Photos of Access Road and Loyola Intersection that I took today:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image


Image

Image


Image


Image


Image


Image

Image


Image
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 09, 2019 9:53 pm

Long Term Garage And Short Term Garage:


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image

Image

Image
Image


Image

Image
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Terminal Photos:

Image

Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri May 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Nonstop flights between Montreal and New Orleans announced

Image

https://www.nola.com/business/2019/05/non-stop-flights-between-montreal-and-new-orleans-announced.html


I know this flight is meant more for Montreal Citizens to leave the cold than for NOLA people to go there but still nice to have.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri May 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Terminal looks great. Glad to see the roadwork is nearly complete.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12490
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 13, 2019 7:44 am

Really cool to see those closeup pics of A.... area still seems so thin though! :eek:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
msyflyer
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 13, 2019 12:44 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Really cool to see those closeup pics of A.... area still seems so thin though! :eek:


I actually disagree. I think it's wider than I originally thought. There's a good bit of space on A. Impressed!
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 13, 2019 1:03 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Really cool to see those closeup pics of A.... area still seems so thin though! :eek:



It def looks thin but since the gates are elongated and theres only gates on one side my guess is A will be the most comfortable terminal to fly out of ... the other two i imagine will be quite crowded all the time
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12490
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 13, 2019 6:32 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Really cool to see those closeup pics of A.... area still seems so thin though! :eek:

the other two i imagine will be quite crowded all the time

Possibly. Though just having gone through SFO T3, which is similar in (internal) design in that retail completely dominates the center, with seats only at the edges and front.... and yet, it works.

Even with AS' hub there, and all the flow traffic sitting waiting for a connection, it still works just fine. Gives a lot of confidence that B and C won't feel crowded at all.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 13, 2019 8:42 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Really cool to see those closeup pics of A.... area still seems so thin though! :eek:

the other two i imagine will be quite crowded all the time

Possibly. Though just having gone through SFO T3, which is similar in (internal) design in that retail completely dominates the center, with seats only at the edges and front.... and yet, it works.

Even with AS' hub there, and all the flow traffic sitting waiting for a connection, it still works just fine. Gives a lot of confidence that B and C won't feel crowded at all.

Thats good to hear on all fronts
 
LightningZ71
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 am

Having recently been in all three concourses of the new terminal, I can safely say that it is quite spacious. There's a bit more crammed down the center of B and C than I might have liked, but, it's no worse than any other modern concourse that I've flown through. A is plenty wide for it's function. I expect that there will be a few small newsstand and snack areas added as traffic grows, but, it won't be crowded at all. The terminal complex, as a whole, is not this mamouth place. It's a seven minute walk from the end of B to the end of C if you don't stop for anything along the way. Along the way, you will pass 90% of the restaurants and stores available in the terminal. Except for A1, the rest of A will barely be used on the average day.

It'll be fine for the next five years if they keep to growth projections.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 6:20 am

UK CAA stats are out for March.
https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/Standard_Content/Data_and_analysis/Datasets/Airport_stats/Airport_data_2019_03/Table_12_1_Intl_Air_Pax_Traffic_Route_Analysis(3).pdf


The MSY-LHR route had an estimated load factor of 89.5% in March. There were 8,430 pax flying on an estimated 9,416 offered seats. Last year, the load factor was 80.5% with 7,923 pax flying on an estimated 9,844 offered seats. Pax count grew by a healthy 6.4% year over year.

All seat estimations for MSY and BWI are based on 788 seat count. SJC is based on 789 seat count. BNA is a 788 seat count except for 3/31 when 789 service commenced. There were no cancelled flights for any of the routes in March.

The following breaks down the numbers for each station that sees 788/789 flying exclusively.

Station..........Mar. Seats........Mar. Pax........Mar. LF.......YTD Seats.......YTD Pax......YTD LF
MSY................9,416................8,430..............89.5%.........26,964............21,015..........77.9%
BWI...............13,268..............11,256..............84.8%.........37,664............28,290..........75.1%
SJC...............13,392..............10,945..............81.7%.........35,856............25,153..........70.2%
BNA................7,708................6,220..............80.7%.........21,832............14,970..........68.6%
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12490
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Station..........Mar. Seats........Mar. Pax........Mar. LF.......YTD Seats.......YTD Pax......YTD LF
MSY................9,416................8,430..............89.5%.........26,964............21,015..........77.9%
BNA................7,708................6,220..............80.7%.........21,832............14,970..........68.6%

I'd love to know the criteria that they used to decide that the latter gets immediately upgauged. On it's face, the disparity is confounding.

The advertised fares aren't different on either route for both J and Y; and save for a brief period in the summer, MSY routinely outperformed in total pax.

I'm guessing it has to be undisclosed negotiated corporate fares, or some manner of private-treaty guarantee... nothing else sees to point toward that decision, even with the persistent rumors of MSY going 777.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 7:06 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
Station..........Mar. Seats........Mar. Pax........Mar. LF.......YTD Seats.......YTD Pax......YTD LF
MSY................9,416................8,430..............89.5%.........26,964............21,015..........77.9%
BNA................7,708................6,220..............80.7%.........21,832............14,970..........68.6%

I'd love to know the criteria that they used to decide that the latter gets immediately upgauged. On it's face, the disparity is confounding.

The advertised fares aren't different on either route for both J and Y; and save for a brief period in the summer, MSY routinely outperformed in total pax.

I'm guessing it has to be undisclosed negotiated corporate fares, or some manner of private-treaty guarantee... nothing else sees to point toward that decision, even with the persistent rumors of MSY going 777.


Agreed that it is likely due to some type of corporate fare stipulation. Something we'll probably never hear about.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 pm

 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12490
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 11:00 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Agreed that it is likely due to some type of corporate fare stipulation. Something we'll probably never hear about.

Indeed, I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

I doubt even sensitive/high-yielding cargo would be enough, in a vacuum.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 1:11 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
Agreed that it is likely due to some type of corporate fare stipulation. Something we'll probably never hear about.

Indeed, I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

I doubt even sensitive/high-yielding cargo would be enough, in a vacuum.



How much shorter is the route from nashville round trip to london compared to NOLA and would that have any bearing?
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 5:01 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
Agreed that it is likely due to some type of corporate fare stipulation. Something we'll probably never hear about.

Indeed, I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

I doubt even sensitive/high-yielding cargo would be enough, in a vacuum.



How much shorter is the route from nashville round trip to london compared to NOLA and would that have any bearing?


No bearing at all. BA flies daily on significantly longer routes from LHR.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2146
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Indeed, I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

I doubt even sensitive/high-yielding cargo would be enough, in a vacuum.



How much shorter is the route from nashville round trip to london compared to NOLA and would that have any bearing?


No bearing at all. BA flies daily on significantly longer routes from LHR.


I think he means that the shorter flight time to BNA gives more flexibility to go daily. But, I agree, this has no bearing whatsoever as the difference is negligible. LHR-BNA is 4,181 while LHR-MSY is 4,629. BA's scheduling of those aircraft cannot be so tight that they can't do daily to MSY, but they can to BNA.

Edit to add that other possibilities are (1) corporate contracts requiring daily for BNA, but none for MSY, or (2) while MSY has higher LF, the higher LF could be attributable in part to a greater number of nonrevs.
 
msyflyer
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 7:06 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:


How much shorter is the route from nashville round trip to london compared to NOLA and would that have any bearing?


No bearing at all. BA flies daily on significantly longer routes from LHR.


I think he means that the shorter flight time to BNA gives more flexibility to go daily. But, I agree, this has no bearing whatsoever as the difference is negligible. LHR-BNA is 4,181 while LHR-MSY is 4,629. BA's scheduling of those aircraft cannot be so tight that they can't do daily to MSY, but they can to BNA.

Edit to add that other possibilities are (1) corporate contracts requiring daily for BNA, but none for MSY, or (2) while MSY has higher LF, the higher LF could be attributable in part to a greater number of nonrevs.


As someone who nonrevs on BA, I can assure you the most I've ever seen was 3. It's so rare that gate agents do not even know how to handle nonrevs too well.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Pics of Air Force One at the Airport Yesterday:


Image

Image

Terminal from I-10:

Image


Image

Image



I-10 Airport Signage Construction:

Image


Image

Image


Image
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 6:16 am

Excellent information shared on the local spotters page. This analysis was performed by RDC Apex for PIT. https://rdcapex.com/

Image

MSY has performed very well over the past 6 months with yield falling above the yield curve. Yields were on par with the likes of BWI, IAD, ORD, and LAS. It's also not shocking to see why FLL and OAK were axed. Those routes performed horribly. Also surprised by the poorer than average yields at SJC. CHS and PIT are both starting out nicely for BA based on this data.

Looking at this yield data combined with the very decent load factors on the MSY route, I'm very befuddled as to why the route is not daily yet after 2+ years of service.
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 10:25 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Excellent information shared on the local spotters page. This analysis was performed by RDC Apex for PIT. https://rdcapex.com/

Image

MSY has performed very well over the past 6 months with yield falling above the yield curve. Yields were on par with the likes of BWI, IAD, ORD, and LAS. It's also not shocking to see why FLL and OAK were axed. Those routes performed horribly. Also surprised by the poorer than average yields at SJC. CHS and PIT are both starting out nicely for BA based on this data.

Looking at this yield data combined with the very decent load factors on the MSY route, I'm very befuddled as to why the route is not daily yet after 2+ years of service.


Not surprised to see SJC so bad. SFO is right up the road and has better facilities for long haul flights. It’s a mystery why SJC has any European service.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12490
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 10:42 am

Fargo wrote:
It’s a mystery why SJC has any European service.

The largest city in the Bay CSA, surrounded by worldwide business HQs and extremely wealthy neighborhoods.

No real mystery there.

What *is* something of a mystery, is why SJC remains 4class, when gateways that routinely outperform it in yield (MSY) and in yield+volume (BWI) remain 3class. I'm guessing it's a contractual stipulation, but who knows.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
Fargo
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 11:10 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Fargo wrote:
It’s a mystery why SJC has any European service.

The largest city in the Bay CSA, surrounded by worldwide business HQs and extremely wealthy neighborhoods.

No real mystery there.

What *is* something of a mystery, is why SJC remains 4class, when gateways that routinely outperform it in yield (MSY) and in yield+volume (BWI) remain 3class. I'm guessing it's a contractual stipulation, but who knows.


And yet, despite all the businesses and wealth, it doesn’t have good yields. Like I said, SFO is right up the road, most people are probably using the plethora of options there.

You are spot on about the four class situation. That is indeed also a mystery.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos