DJSNOLA

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:29 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
I know one of the main goals of the new terminal is to keep the CPE low by increasing non-aviation related revenue through increased use of concessions. The new terminal layout will definitely help with that. I do think an increase in the CPE will have to occur, but even an increase back to around $7.00 would be below the average for large and medium hub airports.

yes and theres another reason to add to that they went with a new airport too and thats because the maintenance cost on the existing terminal is expensive and that would only get worse

DJSNOLA

Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:33 pm

Also driving through the intersection of vets and the airport access road yesterday Im really confused why the state and kenner and nola didnt see the need to increase the capacity and function of that intersection too? would be a big help in moving traffic there

jetKIWI

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:00 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
All airports are required to report financial data to the FAA through CATS (Certification Activity Tracking System). This data must be submitted by the end of June. Cost per enplanement can be found in this data. https://cats.airports.faa.gov/Reports/reports.cfm

After going through the list of FAA defined large and medium hub airports, MSY now has the 5th lowest CPE of these 61 airports, and is positioned between PBI and SLC. The CPE for MSY was $4.31 in 2018. The CPE in 2017 was $6.18, so this was a massive drop. The lowest CPE for medium and large hub airports was BUR at $2.09 and the highest was EWR at $26.17.

Airports with the highest CPE:

EWR = $26.17
JFK = $25.41
SFO = $20.63
LGA = $19.33
MIA = $19.20
ORD = $17.87
LAX = $16.75
IAD = $16.53
PHL = $16.04
SJU = $14.99

Airports with the lowest CPE:

BUR = $2.09
ATL = $2.61
CLT = $3.58
SLC = $4.17
MSY = $4.31
PBI = $4.70
CVG = $4.71
TPA = $4.89
PHX = $6.26
MKE = $6.42

Thanks for posting this. Nice to see the numbers. Wasn't there a time in the late 90's when MSY had one of the highest CPE - or maybe it was landing fees - in the nation? I remember reading about the airport trying to woo TransBrasil via MCO and other international routes but high fees were a major barrier to new services.

NolaMD88fan

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:46 pm

jetKIWI wrote:
Thanks for posting this. Nice to see the numbers. Wasn't there a time in the late 90's when MSY had one of the highest CPE - or maybe it was landing fees - in the nation? I remember reading about the airport trying to woo TransBrasil via MCO and other international routes but high fees were a major barrier to new services.

Yes, as recently as 2012 the CPE was $10.69. There has been a significant reduction in the CPE due to a combination of increased service and a push to increase non-aviation related income through concessions and parking.

sketch

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:39 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Also driving through the intersection of vets and the airport access road yesterday Im really confused why the state and kenner and nola didnt see the need to increase the capacity and function of that intersection too? would be a big help in moving traffic there

Vets and the current airport access road? Why would that need improvements? Traffic should decrease by a lot once the new terminal opens. It's already not that bad as the vast majority of traffic is coming from the east anyway.

DJSNOLA

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:41 pm

sketch wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

Vets and the current airport access road? Why would that need improvements? Traffic should decrease by a lot once the new terminal opens. It's already not that bad as the vast majority of traffic is coming from the east anyway.

I disagree with your opinion here.. a lot of traffic will be added to this portion of veterans.. heading west on vets from williams or veterans exit or taking a left from airport road onto vets... the airport plans to utilize this route for employee parking shuttles, long term economy parking garages and rental car shuttling... not sure why you think the current intersection which is a problem as is. wont get worse? btw i drive this area almost daily and there is a bottleneck between airport road and williams and vets... this will just add to that no doubt ... will it be awful ? not sure but improvements to capacity for a relatively small price could dramatically improve the flow here

DJSNOLA

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:20 pm

This system seems like a big improvement over current ones and they are very cool looking!

Miami International Airport installs state-of-the-art 3D checkpoint technology

https://www.futuretravelexperience.com/2019/06/miami-international-airport-3d-checkpoint-technology/

biggest imrpovement is this

Passengers travelling through a lane with a CT scanner will be permitted to leave laptops and other electronic devices in their carry-on bags. In the future, the goal is to keep 3-1-1 liquids inside the bag as well.

Metrocard

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
I disagree with your opinion here.. a lot of traffic will be added to this portion of veterans.. heading west on vets from williams or veterans exit or taking a left from airport road onto vets... the airport plans to utilize this route for employee parking shuttles, long term economy parking garages and rental car shuttling... not sure why you think the current intersection which is a problem as is. wont get worse? btw i drive this area almost daily and there is a bottleneck between airport road and williams and vets... this will just add to that no doubt ... will it be awful ? not sure but improvements to capacity for a relatively small price could dramatically improve the flow here

Wouldn’t the bulk of traffic utilizing that intersection be moved a mile or so down? I doubt that people trying to save on parking and employees are going to replace the amount of cars that were removed. Either way, that intersection would have had to be included in the engineering study and they apparently didn’t see the need. Do you even know if it’s that specific intersection causing the bottleneck and not just spillover from the bigger intersection before it?

DJSNOLA

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Metrocard wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

Wouldn’t the bulk of traffic utilizing that intersection be moved a mile or so down? I doubt that people trying to save on parking and employees are going to replace the amount of cars that were removed. Either way, that intersection would have had to be included in the engineering study and they apparently didn’t see the need. Do you even know if it’s that specific intersection causing the bottleneck and not just spillover from the bigger intersection before it?

since theres no real airport traffic at that intersection now i would say no... its all localized or people using it as an alternate route to i-10 which is why i dont understand how it wasnt included in the upgrades... just my two cents .. im sure it will be functional i just think for a mil or two they could have handled the added influx with no problem

msycajun

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:58 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Metrocard wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

since theres no real airport traffic at that intersection now i would say no... its all localized or people using it as an alternate route to i-10 which is why i dont understand how it wasnt included in the upgrades... just my two cents .. im sure it will be functional i just think for a mil or two they could have handled the added influx with no problem

Yeah it seems that with a little bit of extra pavement for turning lanes could improve rush hour traffic substantially. I wonder though if that wasn't a priority because the DOTD already has plans on the drawing board to add lanes to I-10 between Vets and Loyola.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:07 am

Pretty much all flights cancelled last evening and today. Fortunately, things don't look quite as bad as initially feared at MSY. Winds will be gusty from the south-southeast today at 30 mph and some rain bands will move through. The evening flights could have easily occurred as winds were generally around 20 mph with near VFR conditons, but I'm sure route planners based decisions off information from earlier in the day that indicated tropical storm force winds and heavier rains.

SunsetLimited

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:45 pm

This can only help out inbound air travel... Royal Caribbean to sail year-round from NOLA for the first time ever starting in January, 2020.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019 ... leans-2020
Spread hope like fire.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Great to see Royal Caribbean adding year-round service.

Fully expect airport operations to be back to normal tomorrow.

LAX772LR

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:16 am

Glad everything is looking okay for you guys... was worried for a bit there.

Hopefully they get the flooding in the city in order.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DJSNOLA

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:50 pm

Reading John Folses post on his twitter he seems to hint at a late fall opening ... so it seem like november opening date is in the cards which the airport director hinted to as well in the first episode on airport youtube channel... so my guess is sometime between halloween and thanksgiving

msycajun

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:51 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Reading John Folses post on his twitter he seems to hint at a late fall opening ... so it seem like november opening date is in the cards which the airport director hinted to as well in the first episode on airport youtube channel... so my guess is sometime between halloween and thanksgiving

Anyone know what the current holdup is? I wasn't really surprised by the first delay or two, but this is getting ridiculous.

Since they have stopped maintenance at the ST, it's become a real dump lately.

LAX772LR

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:29 pm

msycajun wrote:
the ST, it's become a real dump lately.

In what way(s)?

I haven't been there since last Christmas... has it gotten bad so fast?

NolaMD88fan

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:53 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:
the ST, it's become a real dump lately.

In what way(s)?

I haven't been there since last Christmas... has it gotten bad so fast?

It has definitely gotten worse. Minimal maintenance and cleaning. You can tell they don't want to spend money on a facility they plan to leave in the next few months.

SunsetLimited

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:59 pm

I’d bet my savings on a 2020 opening for the new terminal. Fall would literally take a miracle.
Spread hope like fire.

msycajun

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:50 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
I’d bet my savings on a 2020 opening for the new terminal. Fall would literally take a miracle.

What makes you say that? Another major issue?

SunsetLimited

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:27 am

msycajun wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Yeah more or less. I’ve heard this from multiple people. Guess we’ll find out!
Spread hope like fire.

LAX772LR

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:49 am

msycajun wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

I keep hearing that the whole thing is still sinking, but that not all parts are sinking evenly and it's causing concern.

No idea the degree of accuracy in that; but if true, it might be of cause for delay while they figure out how to adjust/compensate for it.

DJSNOLA

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:54 pm

and yes whoever said the current airport is disgusting and falling apart is being kind... its embarrassing to be frank

DJSNOLA

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:03 pm

ALso Im not sure that John Folses post is really hinting at another delay so much as more of a definitive opening date... april delays said fall 2019.. some on here thought that meant august 9th but fall isnt technically until late september so late fall would be somewhere in november to early december if following actual dates of the seasons

heres the direct quote: he does say estimate to be fair

John Folse
July 11 at 3:34 PM ·
This is the first view of Folse Market in the new airport build out in New Orleans. The airport is scheduled to open in late Fall 2019, but this is simply an estimate. I cannot be more excited, having created this beautiful space in Concourse C for travelers leaving or returning to New Orleans. At Folse Market, one can pick up a true taste of Louisiana. We will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, with special areas assigned to coffee, desserts and even wine and alcoholic beverages. You may wish to pick-up fully frozen and packaged Cajun and Creole food items to take home with you whether leaving or returning to the Crescent City. I look so forward to serving you in Folse Market. See you in Concourse C!! J

DJSNOLA

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:04 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

I keep hearing that the whole thing is still sinking, but that not all parts are sinking evenly and it's causing concern.

No idea the degree of accuracy in that; but if true, it might be of cause for delay while they figure out how to adjust/compensate for it.

if thats true then lawsuits are going to start flying soon thats for sure!

AirFiero

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:19 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
and yes whoever said the current airport is disgusting and falling apart is being kind... its embarrassing to be frank

If it is any consolation, I flew in and out of MSY in May and nothing left me with a negative impression of the current terminal. It was a thoroughly pleasant travel experience. And of course, my stay in New Orleans was awesome as usual. It is probably my favorite vacation destination.

DJSNOLA

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:55 pm

AirFiero wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

If it is any consolation, I flew in and out of MSY in May and nothing left me with a negative impression of the current terminal. It was a thoroughly pleasant travel experience. And of course, my stay in New Orleans was awesome as usual. It is probably my favorite vacation destination.

thanks i mean i was truly embarrassed arriving last week from cabo... i dont know if its just us on here being aware of how nice the new terminal is and just losing patience but its just ugly as it currently is and it seems the maintenance and janitorial staff has all but quit...

Nola

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:57 pm

The South terminal has seemed somewhat dirty lately, particularly in the common areas outside of security between C and D.

sketch

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:57 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
sketch wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

Did I miss a notice where they said they'd be removing the current ramps between the access road and I-10 to the east? If so, that's on me, but I have not heard about this.

If not, then currently, traffic from/to the east uses the ramps, traffic from/to the west (such as it is) uses the Williams exit to connect to Vets on the surface, and some traffic from certain nearby areas to the south (Harahan, south Kenner, St. Rose, probably some traffic from 310) uses Airline. Virtually all airport traffic fits into these three buckets because they're the only 3 ways to get to the airport in a car right now. Of course the bulk of this traffic is using the flyover ramps because east is where most of the traffic is going to or coming from.

When the new terminal opens, access will be via Loyola on the surface. Of course this is going to create big problems at all points on the I-10/Loyola interchange, but mostly for the westbound exit ramp and eastbound entrance ramp, because that's where most of the traffic is. And of course that's why LaDOTD has done so much work there.

Traffic coming from the east (who currently use the flyovers in all cases) will now be fragmented. Most traffic (pick-up/drop-off, taxi, rideshare, premium parking) will be using the Loyola interchange. Some traffic (employees, discount parking, rental cars) will continue to use the flyovers. None of this has a direct effect on the Vets/access road intersection.

Traffic coming from the west (who currently use the Williams exit to Vets) will now be fragmented. Most traffic (pick-up/drop-off, taxi, rideshare, premium parking) will be using the Loyola interchange. Some traffic (employees, discount parking, rental cars) will continue to use the Williams exit to connect to Vets, but much less than before—because the Loyola interchange will provide the most direct terminal access.

Traffic coming from the south (who currently uses Airline for nearby access to the airport) will now be fragmented as well. For most traffic (pick-up/drop-off, taxi, rideshare, premium parking), the quickest option for traffic from 310, St. Rose, and perhaps even parts of South Kenner will now be to take 310 up to I-10 to the Loyola exit; some amount of traffic from parts of the Harahan/Elmwood area might use the access road to Vets to Loyola, but others might use Williams to Vets or Clearview to I-10 (particularly Elmwood and Huey P traffic). Other traffic (employees, discount parking, rental cars) will continue to access from the south.

In the end, most traffic will continue to bypass the Vets/access road intersection, either the same way that it's bypassed today or by directly using the I-10/Loyola interchange. I would bet that there will be a much greater impact from people who will now be able to access the airport directly from the west (from places like LaPlace and Destrehan but even as far as Hammond and Baton Rouge and beyond) by using the Loyola interchange—they will no longer have to use Williams-Vets-access road. I believe the relief from the west (including all points up I-55) will be much greater than the additional traffic from the few points south who won't now have a better way to the new terminal (south Kenner, River Ridge) and the handful of shuttles that will now be using the intersection.

Again, this is assuming the flyover ramps are remaining in place for the time being. If I missed something saying that the flyover ramps would be removed in the near term, then that's on me, but I haven't seen any indication of that.

NolaMD88fan

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:45 pm

There are no plans to remove the existing airport access road ramps.

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:02 am

DJSNOLA wrote:

Personally, I'd be shocked if just about every contract related to this terminal's construction/creation that didn't have significant contingency clauses for sink/settling-related delays and procedures, that allay lawsuits (save for negligence).

NolaMD88fan

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:51 am

Here is how our TATL routes compared to all other TATL routes from peer FAA defined medium hub airports in January.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pUim6zLou2yi0OrZXam_VbjP4piD9X6G1bGOSez4ODs/edit?usp=sharing

January-
MSY-LHR ranked 7th out of 15 routes in pax count falling between DL's CVG-CDG and DY's OAK-CDG routes.
MSY-LHR ranked 7th out of 15 routes for load factor falling between DL's CVG-CDG and BA's SJC-LHR routes.

NolaMD88fan

Re: NCM (Copa) December Stats Airport.......Seats......Pax......Load Factor SJU...........1ew Orleans Aviation Thread -

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:47 am

CM (Copa) January Stats
Airport.......Seats......Pax......Load Factor
MCO.........44304....39171.......88.41%
LAX...........33498....29590.......88.33%
FLL.............6776.....5918........87.34%
JFK...........34034....29192.......85.77%
IAD............22608...19377........85.71%
SFO..........21840...18670........85.49%
LAS.............9872....8439.........85.48%
TPA............8072.....6806.........84.32%
MIA...........57210....48212.......84.27%
DEN............7904....6646.........84.08%
BOS..........13660...11038........80.81%
SJU...........18802....14504.......77.14%
MSY............3988.....3069........76.96%
ORD..........23760...17258.......72.63%

The route was on the lower end of the station list in the terms of loads, but did not perform horribly.

BA (British Airways) January Stats
Airport.......Seats......Pax......Load Factor
LAS..........28044.....23224.......82.81%
SEA..........19790....16131.......81.51%
DFW.........11724......9432........80.45%
PHX.........20894.....16670.......79.78%
SFO.........37744.....30097.......79.74%
MIA..........70680.....56095.......79.36%
ORD.........28937.....22961.......79.35%
LAX..........56950.....45053.......79.11%
BWI..........12428......9401........75.64%
SAN..........16775....12676.......75.56%
EWR.........20946....15788.......75.37%
IAH...........21726.....16098.......74.10%
DEN.........20646.....15174.......73.50%
ATL.......... 13866....10047........72.46%
JFK........133389.....95892.......71.89%
IAD...........33406.....23853.......71.40%
AUS.........17664.....12586........71.25%
BOS.........52515.....37169.......70.78%
MCO........20832.....14577.......69.97%
MSY...........9000......6151.........68.34%
PHL..........17732.....12086.......68.16%
TPA..........14832......9823........66.23%
SJC..........12960......8559........66.04%
BNA...........7276......4516.........62.07%
FLL............8292......5129.........61.85%

Not amazing loads for the month, but performed above par for stations of a similar size and even outperformed a couple of larger stations.

LAX772LR

Re: NCM (Copa) December Stats Airport.......Seats......Pax......Load Factor SJU...........1ew Orleans Aviation Thread -

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:18 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
and even outperformed a couple of larger stations.

In loads. Keep in mind, BA still charges sky-high fares in winter at MSY.... well, advertised and publicly available anyway.

Seen winter fares from the east coast at half the rate, and fares from the west at equal or greater (despite the far longer distance).

msyflyer

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:40 am

There used to be a NOLA blog on skyscrapers. But it no longers is available. Does anybody know what happened?

DJSNOLA

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:19 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

Personally, I'd be shocked if just about every contract related to this terminal's construction/creation that didn't have significant contingency clauses for sink/settling-related delays and procedures, that allay lawsuits (save for negligence).

im sure they do but that only buys you time to create a solution its not an indefinite absolving of responsibility... i can assure you that at some point things are going to get ugly and publicly so between the airport and CMAR if its not open by thanksgiving

DJSNOLA

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 pm

msyflyer wrote:
There used to be a NOLA blog on skyscrapers. But it no longers is available. Does anybody know what happened?

not sure but these two have always been around and hasnt gone anywhere

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthr ... ost8633472

https://djsnola.tumblr.com/

DJSNOLA

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:40 pm

sketch wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
sketch wrote:

Did I miss a notice where they said they'd be removing the current ramps between the access road and I-10 to the east? If so, that's on me, but I have not heard about this.

If not, then currently, traffic from/to the east uses the ramps, traffic from/to the west (such as it is) uses the Williams exit to connect to Vets on the surface, and some traffic from certain nearby areas to the south (Harahan, south Kenner, St. Rose, probably some traffic from 310) uses Airline. Virtually all airport traffic fits into these three buckets because they're the only 3 ways to get to the airport in a car right now. Of course the bulk of this traffic is using the flyover ramps because east is where most of the traffic is going to or coming from.

When the new terminal opens, access will be via Loyola on the surface. Of course this is going to create big problems at all points on the I-10/Loyola interchange, but mostly for the westbound exit ramp and eastbound entrance ramp, because that's where most of the traffic is. And of course that's why LaDOTD has done so much work there.

Traffic coming from the east (who currently use the flyovers in all cases) will now be fragmented. Most traffic (pick-up/drop-off, taxi, rideshare, premium parking) will be using the Loyola interchange. Some traffic (employees, discount parking, rental cars) will continue to use the flyovers. None of this has a direct effect on the Vets/access road intersection.

Traffic coming from the west (who currently use the Williams exit to Vets) will now be fragmented. Most traffic (pick-up/drop-off, taxi, rideshare, premium parking) will be using the Loyola interchange. Some traffic (employees, discount parking, rental cars) will continue to use the Williams exit to connect to Vets, but much less than before—because the Loyola interchange will provide the most direct terminal access.

Traffic coming from the south (who currently uses Airline for nearby access to the airport) will now be fragmented as well. For most traffic (pick-up/drop-off, taxi, rideshare, premium parking), the quickest option for traffic from 310, St. Rose, and perhaps even parts of South Kenner will now be to take 310 up to I-10 to the Loyola exit; some amount of traffic from parts of the Harahan/Elmwood area might use the access road to Vets to Loyola, but others might use Williams to Vets or Clearview to I-10 (particularly Elmwood and Huey P traffic). Other traffic (employees, discount parking, rental cars) will continue to access from the south.

In the end, most traffic will continue to bypass the Vets/access road intersection, either the same way that it's bypassed today or by directly using the I-10/Loyola interchange. I would bet that there will be a much greater impact from people who will now be able to access the airport directly from the west (from places like LaPlace and Destrehan but even as far as Hammond and Baton Rouge and beyond) by using the Loyola interchange—they will no longer have to use Williams-Vets-access road. I believe the relief from the west (including all points up I-55) will be much greater than the additional traffic from the few points south who won't now have a better way to the new terminal (south Kenner, River Ridge) and the handful of shuttles that will now be using the intersection.

Again, this is assuming the flyover ramps are remaining in place for the time being. If I missed something saying that the flyover ramps would be removed in the near term, then that's on me, but I haven't seen any indication of that.

Not to keep harping on this but you are missing the part im talking about .. the new shuttles buses will use the ground level intersection with airport road and veterans.. the existing overpass isnt relevant to this discussion because it doesnt address the new traffic patterns that wil result that are currently not routes used by airport traffic... if the intersection is congested now as is adding shuttle and parking traffic that will use that ground intersection will result in increased traffic at that intersection.. simple widening at the ground level would in my mind help traffic flow better through the whole corridor.. what good is widening loyola at vets to accommodate traffic for it all the just get stuck a couple of red lights over in another overburdened intersection.. juyst figured it was something they could have addressed fairly cheaply becaus but even once those open they wont help out with traffic at this intersection as long as large amounts of parking and shuttle buses are used to service south terminal

sketch

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:58 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Not to keep harping on this but you are missing the part im talking about .. the new shuttles buses will use the ground level intersection with airport road and veterans.. the existing overpass isnt relevant to this discussion because it doesnt address the new traffic patterns that wil result that are currently not routes used by airport traffic... if the intersection is congested now as is adding shuttle and parking traffic that will use that ground intersection will result in increased traffic at that intersection.. simple widening at the ground level would in my mind help traffic flow better through the whole corridor.. what good is widening loyola at vets to accommodate traffic for it all the just get stuck a couple of red lights over in another overburdened intersection.. juyst figured it was something they could have addressed fairly cheaply becaus but even once those open they wont help out with traffic at this intersection as long as large amounts of parking and shuttle buses are used to service south terminal

Not missing it at all. Most of traffic that currently uses the Vets/Airport Access Rd intersection—traffic from the west, e.g., LaPlace, Destrehan, Hammond, Gonzales—will no longer have to use that intersection with the new terminal. Traffic that used to go I-10 eastbound to Williams to Vets to the access road will now simply exit at Loyola.

The amount of traffic increase from a few shuttle buses will be much less than the amount of traffic reduced by moving most current traffic to Loyola instead.

DJSNOLA

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 pm

sketch wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

Not missing it at all. Most of traffic that currently uses the Vets/Airport Access Rd intersection—traffic from the west, e.g., LaPlace, Destrehan, Hammond, Gonzales—will no longer have to use that intersection with the new terminal. Traffic that used to go I-10 eastbound to Williams to Vets to the access road will now simply exit at Loyola.

The amount of traffic increase from a few shuttle buses will be much less than the amount of traffic reduced by moving most current traffic to Loyola instead.

a huge portion of traffic coming from the west uses airline and or 310 to airline and enters that way... so thats not traffic currently exiting at wiliams or loyola

sketch

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:50 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
a huge portion of traffic coming from the west uses airline and or 310 to airline and enters that way... so thats not traffic currently exiting at wiliams or loyola

Without some kind of traffic study this is all guesswork. But I would absolutely bet that most traffic from I-10 to the west and from I-55 will use I-10 to the Williams exit because that is the one signed for the Airport.

And I would bet it's faster for them, too. The left turn into the airport from eastbound Airline backs up much worse than the left turn from Vets to the access road in my experience. And the stretch of Airline between 310 and the airport is kind of a pain in the ass, with truck traffic and red lights you mostly don't have to deal with on the airport road.

Yes, some traffic from the west will take 310 to Airline... but only traffic that would have already been on 310, so coming from some place west on 90 (Houma, etc., as far as Morgan City) or maybe Luling. I would bet that is not much compared to the volumes of traffic coming from everywhere west of Kenner on I-10 and north on 55, which includes not only travelers from those parts of the GNO area (LaPlace etc.; Hammond etc.) but also many who would rather take Southwest to Disney World or a $59 Spirit flight to LAX than to connect somewhere from BTR or even LFT or JAN.

At any rate... even if you're right and 70% of the traffic from the west takes 310 to Airline, the 30% that takes I-10 to Williams will be able to use Loyola to go to the new terminal, and I still do not believe that a few shuttle buses (a bus or two every 2–3 minutes at peak times maybe?) will even come close to making up for that.

msycajun

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:36 pm

Apologies if this has already been discussed....
Allegiant has extended their schedule into May. Overall seems that they've rebound quite well considering all of the other ULCC competition.

CVG extended into spring mostly 2 weekly, but 4 weekly around Mardi Gras and 4 weekly starting late April
SDF and USA continue 2 weekly Feb-May, after hiatus in Jan
IND resumes in Feb through May 2 weekly
GRR is extended 2 weekly throughout the schedule - this must be doing well so far
PIT and RDU return in Feb after a hiatus starting in Aug - I’m surprised they’re continuing RDU with all of the new service on that route

NolaMD88fan

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:47 pm

msycajun wrote:
Apologies if this has already been discussed....
Allegiant has extended their schedule into May. Overall seems that they've rebound quite well considering all of the other ULCC competition.

CVG extended into spring mostly 2 weekly, but 4 weekly around Mardi Gras and 4 weekly starting late April
SDF and USA continue 2 weekly Feb-May, after hiatus in Jan
IND resumes in Feb through May 2 weekly
GRR is extended 2 weekly throughout the schedule - this must be doing well so far
PIT and RDU return in Feb after a hiatus starting in Aug - I’m surprised they’re continuing RDU with all of the new service on that route

Good to see G4 finally finding some footing in the market. Thanks for the update!

LAX772LR

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:34 am

msycajun wrote:
Overall seems that they've rebound quite well considering all of the other ULCC competition.

Good to hear. I was really concerned about them, especially after pulling back all of their Florida service.

Really wish their Oklahoma operations had worked out, and maybe could've seen them spread into the likes of Kansas and Nebraska... after PDX, the most glaring gap in MSY's service is to the Breadbasket region.

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Good to see G4 finally finding some footing in the market.

:checkmark: :checkmark:

Really think we'll start seeing some intriguing destinations, if/when G4 decides to go into expansion. Just hope the NOLA hotels continue to play ball.

msycajun

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:06 am

Board meeting tomorrow:
http://www.flymsy.com/Files/Publications/JulyAgenda.pdf
Another change order, for $5 million on the docket. I'm very curious to know what's going on over there.

It was posted elsewhere that the signage for the NT included Silver Airways. Assuming it comes to fruition, it will be interesting to see where they fly. I personally think MSY has a decent shot at being a base for them now that the ATRs are in operation. JAX, RSW, EYW, TLH, VPS, DAB, GNV, HSV, BHM, MEM, LIT, SHV, TUL, OKC, CHS, SAV, GSP, AVL, TYS, CRP, CLL, and ACT are all within the range of the 42-600 and the 72 has even more range. Not saying they would add all of those, but even a fraction could make for a substantial operation. Several (TLH, GNV, DAB, ACT) have no UA service (AVL has no IAH service) and many more have no B6 service, so MSY could serve as a connecting option for a lot of routings.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:15 am

Would love to see Silver Airways start up here, but I'll believe when I see it even with it on the departures signage at the new terminal. They have announced and backed out twice before.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:51 pm

April 2019 domestic and January 2019 international load factors and passenger numbers by route have been calculated.

International load factor for all carriers in January was 68.1%. Passenger traffic grew by 1.7% and seat count fell by 1.8% resulting in a 2.3% increase in load factor year over year.

January International route seat count(%change), pax count(%change), and load factor(change)

Airline............Seats.............................Pax..........................LF
AC................8,656(+6.8%)................5,788(+5.7%)..........66.9%(-0.7%)
BA................9,000(-4.8%).................6,151(-1.6%)..........68.3%(+2.2%)
CM...............3,988(-11.5%)...............3,069(+4.6%)..........77.0%(+11.9%)
DL................1,056(+1.3%)...................452(-16.6%).........42.8%(-9.2%)

Domestically in April, airport-wide seat count grew by 5.6% and pax traffic increased by 3.9% resulting in a -1.3% decline in load factors to 83.7%. WN's MSY-SJC route had the best loads of the month at 95.0%. NK's MSY-DEN route had the worst loads of the month at 55.9%.

All of the airlines except for G4 saw increases in capacity and pax.

April Domestic route seat count(% change), pax count(%change), and load factor(change):

Airline............Seats.............................Pax..........................LF
AS................30,040(+54.3%)............24,779(+41.7%).....82.5%(-7.3%)
AA...............220,109(+8.2%)...........186,768(+6.5%).......84.9%(-1.4%)
B6................38,342(+1.0%)..............33,061(+1.2%)........86.2%(+0.2%)
DL...............239,469(+3.3%)............207,063(+1.7%).......86.5%(-1.4%)
F9................37,638(+0.5%)...............31,956(-1.1%)........84.9%(-1.3%)
G4...............17,292(-35.8%).............13,519(-35.2%).......78.2%(+0.8%)
NK..............156,024(+12.2%)..........127,121(+12.8%).....81.5%(+0.5%)
SY..................3,444............................2,426.....................70.4%
UA..............192,705(+10.0%).........164,249(+6.3%)........85.2%(-3.0%)
WN.............529,936(+4.5%)............435,072(+2.4%).......82.1%(-1.6%)

Domestic
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E9rmJybgx62zThKL7FM9L53IOgxRhYEFSwGjW7KSHNw/edit?usp=sharing

International
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f_6DXIGr6PSyokEb5zZ_1OmdCwaesNjL2vt_N0BdigU/edit?usp=sharing

NolaMD88fan

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:14 am

Munch Factory signage in the new terminal looks great.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:25 am

Here's the now infamous Silver Airways signage in the departures area of the new terminal.

Also, the new shuttle bus pick-up and drop-off area for the CONRAC is complete on the southside of the airport complex.

LAX772LR

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:08 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Would love to see Silver Airways start up here, but I'll believe when I see it

Me too. Never seen a flakier airline!

NolaMD88fan wrote:
the departures signage at the new terminal.

...which I'm sorta surprised, aren't digital/electronic. Seems it'd be easier to change/add to them, especially the way the airport's been growing as of late.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos