DJSNOLA

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Metrocard wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
Looks like the official notice to proceed on the new interchange at Loyola was approved last Friday. I did not know a diverging diamond interchange was also going to occur along the flyover ramps.

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/Announcement.aspx?key=20896

According to a local colleague who worked on the interchange study, the department of transportation wanted to go the 3 flyover option and was settled on it but the local community was vehemently against more than 2 flyover ramps leaving the DDI as the more expensive, but acceptable option.

Apparently people would rather see multiple residential properties razed to the south of the expressway than see a flyover ramp rise from the median of the main thoroughfare to the north of it.

So are these properties being bought through eminent domain? like the hotel etc? curious what price that building will get

william

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:33 pm

Metrocard wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
Looks like the official notice to proceed on the new interchange at Loyola was approved last Friday. I did not know a diverging diamond interchange was also going to occur along the flyover ramps.

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/Announcement.aspx?key=20896

According to a local colleague who worked on the interchange study, the department of transportation wanted to go the 3 flyover option and was settled on it but the local community was vehemently against more than 2 flyover ramps leaving the DDI as the more expensive, but acceptable option.

Apparently people would rather see multiple residential properties razed to the south of the expressway than see a flyover ramp rise from the median of the main thoroughfare to the north of it.

That Hotel on the corner is gone. What neighbor group? Did not know there was one in that area. Two sets of flyovers, the older airport road flyover and this new one literally back to back.

Since there will be shuttles going from this new location to present garage and CONRAC, what route would they take? I see a perimeter airport road leading west from the new terminal sight.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:54 pm

william wrote:
Metrocard wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

That Hotel on the corner is gone. What neighbor group? Did not know there was one in that area. Two sets of flyovers, the older airport road flyover and this new one literally back to back.

Since there will be shuttles going from this new location to present garage and CONRAC, what route would they take? I see a perimeter airport road leading west from the new terminal sight.

I was just listening to that meeting update from airport staff on the new airport terminal with the city council. it seems like these shuttles may actually use bainbridge to go to Vets and then a right on vets to get to airport road then down to airline to access these garages.. and the Hotel on the corner is still there so im confused what ur saying its gone? i know it will have to go but I was wondering through what process is the land being purchased

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:09 pm

Also while listening to that meeting closely between the airport staff and the City Counil Transportation Committee, its clear that the issues with the sewer werent in fact related to subsidence. So given the other options someone is going to be paying a lot to the airport (either the contractor or the engineers).. given the amount of mess ups we have seen on other projects resulting from engineering errors, my guess is its another engineering plan; one interesting other possibility is that it could have been the result of construction sequencing. the breaks may have been caused by improper construction sequencing that resulted in construction equipment causing the cracks too... either way alot of those change orders the airport approved over the past year or two are very likely to be reimbursed to the NOAB and then some

william

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:18 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
william wrote:
Metrocard wrote:

I was just listening to that meeting update from airport staff on the new airport terminal with the city council. it seems like these shuttles may actually use bainbridge to go to Vets and then a right on vets to get to airport road then down to airline to access these garages.. and the Hotel on the corner is still there so im confused what ur saying its gone? i know it will have to go but I was wondering through what process is the land being purchased

Thank you for the info, interesting about the shuttle route. My prediction is that the ugly business and warehouse district in front of the new terminal will look totally different in one to two years time.

. I meant the hotel on the that corner is as good as "gone". It will have to be removed for the flyover project to proceed.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 pm

william wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
william wrote:

Thank you for the info, interesting about the shuttle route. My prediction is that the ugly business and warehouse district in front of the new terminal will look totally different in one to two years time.

. I meant the hotel on the that corner is as good as "gone". It will have to be removed for the flyover project to proceed.

gotcha given the NTP was just given for the project my guess is that hotel has already been purchased because demoing that will take a few months alone and seems like the goal is to get the two nola flyover ramps done as quickly as possible

NolaMD88fan

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
william wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

gotcha given the NTP was just given for the project my guess is that hotel has already been purchased because demoing that will take a few months alone and seems like the goal is to get the two nola flyover ramps done as quickly as possible

I would expect a two phase project. Phase 1 would be the flyovers and phase 2 the diverging diamond. Getting the flyovers done first would greatly reduce the traffic count on the existing interchange and thus reduce the impacts during diverging diamond work.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:30 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
william wrote:

I would expect a two phase project. Phase 1 would be the flyovers and phase 2 the diverging diamond. Getting the flyovers done first would greatly reduce the traffic count on the existing interchange and thus reduce the impacts during diverging diamond work.

makes sense to me so def will need to start demo on that hotel soon then.. since htey said work should be complete by 2022 im guessing the flyover ramps will be done even earlier?

NolaMD88fan

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:57 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

makes sense to me so def will need to start demo on that hotel soon then.. since htey said work should be complete by 2022 im guessing the flyover ramps will be done even earlier?

Yup.

Metrocard

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:46 am

william wrote:

The people who live in and adjacent to the study area and well as the business that line then main thoroughfare. If you look at the figure you will seen residential units/houses working the footprint of the eastbound exit ramp. The preferred plan by the state, from my understanding, would have mirrored the current airport interchange exactly, with the southbound entrance ramp rising in the median from Furman. The people didn’t want this.

SNN707

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:44 am

There are so many unanswered questions as to NT access.

Bainbridge: will it ever be fixed? Its in very, very bad shape. Also, in addition to the NOAB ST econ garage buses, will Park n Fly and USPark (new billboard says the Airline lot is staying open) also be allowed to use the Bainbridge gate?
Based on some interior NT signage I noticed that the NOAB shuttles will drop/pickup on the east lower level arrivals curb. If all private shuttles have to use Aberdeen Access, thats a long way from Airline.

I fully agree that once the ramps are built, they will unload a lot of traffic. Since there are only 2 lanes on Aberdeen Access, one lane will be dedicated eventually to ramp traffic and the other to Vets/Loyola traffic. With only one lane heading to/from that intersection, you wonder if the DD intersection is actually necessary, or could the current config handle the flow post-ramp traffic?

I think the big question is can the Aberdeen Access road handle 15-20M pax? It is 2 narrow lanes with zero shoulders on either side. An accident or breakdown will cause chaos almost immediately. It is the eye of the needle.

Also, can the internal road network and load zone linear length handle 15-20M pax? I'm not so sure about that. I think eventually Bainbridge will have to be converted to a full alternate access road to be used when there is a blockage on Aberdeen Access. I think a lot of these questions will be immediately answered between the opening and New Years Day 2021.

DJSNOLA

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:33 pm

SNN707 wrote:

Bainbridge: will it ever be fixed? Its in very, very bad shape. Also, in addition to the NOAB ST econ garage buses, will Park n Fly and USPark (new billboard says the Airline lot is staying open) also be allowed to use the Bainbridge gate?
Based on some interior NT signage I noticed that the NOAB shuttles will drop/pickup on the east lower level arrivals curb. If all private shuttles have to use Aberdeen Access, thats a long way from Airline.

I fully agree that once the ramps are built, they will unload a lot of traffic. Since there are only 2 lanes on Aberdeen Access, one lane will be dedicated eventually to ramp traffic and the other to Vets/Loyola traffic. With only one lane heading to/from that intersection, you wonder if the DD intersection is actually necessary, or could the current config handle the flow post-ramp traffic?

I think the big question is can the Aberdeen Access road handle 15-20M pax? It is 2 narrow lanes with zero shoulders on either side. An accident or breakdown will cause chaos almost immediately. It is the eye of the needle.

Also, can the internal road network and load zone linear length handle 15-20M pax? I'm not so sure about that. I think eventually Bainbridge will have to be converted to a full alternate access road to be used when there is a blockage on Aberdeen Access. I think a lot of these questions will be immediately answered between the opening and New Years Day 2021.

I still think people forget how crap access is to the current airport though too.. i overall think the worst thing will be them running out of parking on the northside and having to go to southside to park.. thats quite an ordeal.. i for one will be uber/lyfting or having someone drop me off for a good while if not all the time

william

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:55 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

I still think people forget how crap access is to the current airport though too.. i overall think the worst thing will be them running out of parking on the northside and having to go to southside to park.. thats quite an ordeal.. i for one will be uber/lyfting or having someone drop me off for a good while if not all the time

I frequently fly in and out of MSY. It just amazes me no one in government thought about access to the shiny new terminal from the I-10. The old terminal with all its flaws is at least only 5 minutes from I-10. I shudder to think how long it will take to get from I-10 to the new terminal though an interchange not built to handle a tenth of the traffic heading for it.

I bet you it will be quicker to get off at the William's exit, go east on Veterans to get to Aberdeen St. The morning rush to the airport will be entertaining to watch.

SNN707

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:05 am

Small update. Looks like the pile driving on Vets+Loyola was for the large towers supporting the new traffic signal arms currently being installed. Still some work to do on that intersection.

NolaMD88fan

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:04 pm

SY is closing up the PVD station at least for the winter, so the PVD route will be ending in November. We'll see if they actually return to PVD for the Summer.

LAX772LR

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:38 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
SY is closing up the PVD station at least for the winter, so the PVD route will be ending in November. We'll see if they actually return to PVD for the Summer.

Start a route in September, end it in November, unilaterally cancel everyone's Christmas plans with nothing other than a direct refund-- with average fare to MSY now $300/person higher than they tickets they bought on you...... yeahhhh, not exactly the way to build a client base. :irked:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

msycajun

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:00 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
Look whats below Jet Blue here!

Where would Silver most logically offer service from MSY?
I can only see them opening up new cities because where they fly now is already served and I don't think Pensacola is a market for them.
Maybe a Jacksonville, Shreveport, Huntsville, Little Rock... totally speculating.

Silver left JAX, so I don't see that one happening. Possible options would be LIT, MEM, HSV, BHM, and SHV to the north and VPS, EYW, and TPA or MCO in Florida. Something similar to what the short-lived GLO tried to do, but with an airline that has more stable finances and existing code-share agreements with several airlines to work with.

One fly in the ointment is that Silver has announced service here before and then failed to start it. I will remain skeptical until a plane with a Silver livery is actually departing with fared passengers.

DJSNOLA wrote:
Well the original one was to branson i think and pensacola when it was announced a few years ago ... my gues sis they may possibly be setting nola up as a western hub type thing and in that case i def think you would see tulsa, oklahoma city , little rock, memphis and maybe birmingham ... its all speculation but ur right one would hardly think a pensacola to nola route would do much without major connection opportunities... they def must be going somewhere though because why add that to new airport especially if they dont even fly out the current one... they have code share with jet blue too along with a few other major airlines

While I wouldn't say I'm an expert, I have been keeping an eye on Silver for a while now. I agree that MSY would be a great new hub/base for them since there are so many unserved routes within the 300-600 mile range. A couple of observations:
JAX was dropped when WN and NK added the FLL-JAX route. Generally speaking they've been trimming shorter routes in favor of longer ones, so JAX-MCO/TPA wasn't viable. I could see them returning to the market now that WN and NK have dropped the route. Maybe a plane doing something like FLL-JAX-MSY-LIT-MSY-JAX-FLL

They are apparently not opposed to running flights that do not touch their bases at MCO, TPA, and FLL, including BHB-BOS which is in its second summer. I don't see them doing MSY-TPA/MCO for that reason - they'd get killed by WN and NK.

I could see VPS and TLH if they needed to route planes and crews to Florida. TLH has no UA or B6 service, so they could use a flight to MSY for connections, especially to the west. I think VPS would do better than PNS given the longer driving distance and its popularity with local vacationers.

SAV is an airport that they've indicated interest in and lacks service to MCO, TPA, and FLL. I could see something extended to MSY if they do add it. MSY-SAV is a decent sized market at about 25-30 PDEW without a nonstop IIRC.

The logjam of ATR deliveries has finally started to clear with 4 42s and one 72 already delivered and another 2 42s and 2 72s should arrive by the end of the year. So if they can get enough pilots trained, we should be seeing some new stuff soon.

DJSNOLA

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:03 pm

Kind of off topic but relevant to nola potentially if there is
A need to reuse the south terminal at some point...ive been stuck on a plane for two hours in 100 plus degree heat after having to board from the south terminal here in austin because they have plane problems. This situation would be handled differently at a legit terminal ... its a def bad experience... frontier and allegiant have to use this south terminal and its not a good experience at all... u board and unboard on the tarmac, no tsa lines for security, literally a taco truck for food and almost impossible to get an uber / lyft to pick you up . Just a thought for msy in the future... do not get caught in the position austin is in... not a good look at all

NolaMD88fan

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:44 pm

No BA flight today due to the pilot strike. Fortunately for us, there is still the DE flight to Frankfurt today for anyone wanting a non-stop flight to Europe. One nice advantage of having two European carriers in the market.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba224
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/de2067

Concerning any future use of the south terminal. There is no plan to demolish Concourse D, so those gates could be used in the future if needed.

AirFiero

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:08 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
No BA flight today due to the pilot strike. Fortunately for us, there is still the DE flight to Frankfurt today for anyone wanting a non-stop flight to Europe. One nice advantage of having two European carriers in the market.

Concerning any future use of the south terminal. There is no plan to demolish Concourse D, so those gates could be used in the future if needed.

I stopped by SJC last night for just a few minutes to watch planes. I noticed the BA 787 being towed from the gate instead of departing as scheduled. I couldn’t figure out why, I thought the flight is scheduled daily. I forgot about the strike. Are all US flights canceled, or just some?

NolaMD88fan

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:02 pm

AirFiero wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

I stopped by SJC last night for just a few minutes to watch planes. I noticed the BA 787 being towed from the gate instead of departing as scheduled. I couldn’t figure out why, I thought the flight is scheduled daily. I forgot about the strike. Are all US flights canceled, or just some?

Pretty much all of them. I think a BOS and JFK flight operated today, but no other flights.

SunsetLimited

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Current Concourse D might be used for charter flights for the next Super Bowl and other events of that magnitude. Not much else is planned for that building in terms of flight ops. It’s going to be used mostly as airport office space.

Everything from the parabola east (and current Concourse C) will eventually be torn down.

99.9% of all ops, scheduled and charter, will be from the North Terminal once it opens.
Spread hope like fire.

SNN707

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:23 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
.....This situation would be handled differently at a legit terminal ... its a def bad experience... frontier and allegiant have to use this south terminal and its not a good experience at all... u board and unboard on the tarmac, no tsa lines for security, literally a taco truck for food and almost impossible to get an uber / lyft to pick you up . Just a thought for msy in the future... do not get caught in the position austin is in... not a good look at all

I took a quick detour to check out the ST after arriving at AUS last fall on my way to the Circuit of the Americas racetrack.

In this case, the overwhelmed main terminal needed to make an offer to free up terminal space. F9 and G4 obviously are getting a sweetheart deal at the ST. G4 flies to many similar terminals. I think this setup is fine if your are originating at AUS. Park cheaper, less hassle. I do think they run a bus shuttle to the main terminal.

As for MSY, I think ST-D will be rarely used and only the rotunda gates at that. Never say never, but at some point the NT will be saturated and a new terminal will be needed. Your choices are build a new one west of the NT (require buying property and building new garages) or taking Conc D and the Parabola (putting it behind security) and maybe building a new C. Best bet would be making the "new" ST strictly for ULCCs, who may not desire the big retail of the NT. The biggest thing a "new" ST can offer is all the landside support (parking, CONRAC, roadways, etc) are in place.

Its a long way off, they'll build the NT out to 42 gates first then the 2nd terminal will need to get a master plan.

DJSNOLA

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:28 pm

SNN707 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
.....This situation would be handled differently at a legit terminal ... its a def bad experience... frontier and allegiant have to use this south terminal and its not a good experience at all... u board and unboard on the tarmac, no tsa lines for security, literally a taco truck for food and almost impossible to get an uber / lyft to pick you up . Just a thought for msy in the future... do not get caught in the position austin is in... not a good look at all

I took a quick detour to check out the ST after arriving at AUS last fall on my way to the Circuit of the Americas racetrack.

In this case, the overwhelmed main terminal needed to make an offer to free up terminal space. F9 and G4 obviously are getting a sweetheart deal at the ST. G4 flies to many similar terminals. I think this setup is fine if your are originating at AUS. Park cheaper, less hassle. I do think they run a bus shuttle to the main terminal.

As for MSY, I think ST-D will be rarely used and only the rotunda gates at that. Never say never, but at some point the NT will be saturated and a new terminal will be needed. Your choices are build a new one west of the NT (require buying property and building new garages) or taking Conc D and the Parabola (putting it behind security) and maybe building a new C. Best bet would be making the "new" ST strictly for ULCCs, who may not desire the big retail of the NT. The biggest thing a "new" ST can offer is all the landside support (parking, CONRAC, roadways, etc) are in place.

Its a long way off, they'll build the NT out to 42 gates first then the 2nd terminal will need to get a master plan.

im sure allegiant and frontier are getting a sweetheart deal on their CPE for using the south terminal, my main point was that there are other factors that come into play not only for the airline but the destination and airport when you relegate people to a subpar terminal... i didnt hear anything complimentary from other travelers. many got dropped off at north terminal and had to shuttle last minute and the offerings are weak. could austin improve the experience of the south side easily? yes i think it could but its just a warning to that some short term solutions come at a cost. best to prepare and not need than the other way around!

DJSNOLA

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Music by local musicians will welcome visitors and residents to New Orleans from this stage in the Jazz Garden! #TheNewMSY will reverberate all the best our City has to offer from the food to the music and everything in betwee

william

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:05 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Kind of off topic but relevant to nola potentially if there is
A need to reuse the south terminal at some point...ive been stuck on a plane for two hours in 100 plus degree heat after having to board from the south terminal here in austin because they have plane problems. This situation would be handled differently at a legit terminal ... its a def bad experience... frontier and allegiant have to use this south terminal and its not a good experience at all... u board and unboard on the tarmac, no tsa lines for security, literally a taco truck for food and almost impossible to get an uber / lyft to pick you up . Just a thought for msy in the future... do not get caught in the position austin is in... not a good look at all

Uh, thats why I love the South Terminal compared to the Zoo just north of it. Walking across the tarmac is cool (wait till you travel to Europe) and give you a different perspective of ops.
Last edited by william on Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metrocard

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:13 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
u board and unboard on the tarmac, no tsa lines for security, literally a taco truck for food and almost impossible to get an uber / lyft to pick you up.

Is your complaint that they don’t have a PreCheck line or are you saying there is no security checkpoint at all? Does that terminal get busy enough to necessitate one?

Aside from that and sitting on a 100° aircraft, the rest of your experience (emplaning on the tarmac, etc.) is a common enough occurrence at large airports like LAX and JFK and I’ve never seen anyone bat an eye. This is practically normal at major European airports like LHR, DUB, CDG, etc. depending on parking availability and terminal.

william

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:13 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
Current Concourse D might be used for charter flights for the next Super Bowl and other events of that magnitude. Not much else is planned for that building in terms of flight ops. It’s going to be used mostly as airport office space.

Everything from the parabola east (and current Concourse C) will eventually be torn down.

99.9% of all ops, scheduled and charter, will be from the North Terminal once it opens.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.985424, ... 312!8i6656

The half dome stays though, right? Just everything behind it and to the right goes. The upper will probably disappear too, no need for it, since its becoming offices.

Off topic, your screen name is not taken from Amtrak train 1 and 2 , is it?

sketch

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Just got the following notification through the NOLA Ready email notification system:

The Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) is seeking 100 volunteers to participate in a full-scale airport public safety exercise. This important drill will help MSY and their public safety partners test emergency response plans in the event of an incident.

Volunteers will be assigned various roles to play in the exercise, including roles with varying degrees of injury. Role-playing with real people allows emergency personnel to fully test plans, policies, and response.

Date & Time: September 25, 2019, 7am-1pm

Location: Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY West Ramp - Red Roof Building - 4 W Access Rd, Kenner)

Water, lunch and free parking are included.

Further instructions and directions for the exercise will be provided in an email following registration.

This is not a Nola Ready event, but we hope you can support our airport partners by volunteering for this important public safety exercise.

For additional questions, please contact Heather Hilliard at [email protected]

SunsetLimited

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:23 pm

william wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

The half dome stays though, right? Just everything behind it and to the right goes. The upper will probably disappear too, no need for it, since its becoming offices.

Yes the dome will stay. I think the upper level board rooms will stay. Everything else will go except for the D lobby and D.

Regarding the name, yep, long time Amtrak rider!
Spread hope like fire.

william

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:27 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
william wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Yes the dome will stay. I think the upper level board rooms will stay. Everything else will go except for the D lobby and D.

Thanks, I meant the upper roadway from where the pic was taken will probably be torn down since it will not needed.

I love Amtrak too............in the Northeast, the SL and TE tests my patience when it comes to being on time or close to on time scheduling.

Nola

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:01 pm

william wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
william wrote:

Thanks, I meant the upper roadway from where the pic was taken will probably be torn down since it will not needed.

I love Amtrak too............in the Northeast, the SL and TE tests my patience when it comes to being on time or close to on time scheduling.

I wouldn't think the roadway would be torn down. Expensive to do that and not necessary even when A/B are torn down. And leaving the roadway and signs there make it easier to use the ST as a movie set for Hollywood South.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Latest aerial photo. Work continues to complete the entry and exit roadways and booths for the long term parking garage. Can also see some construction vehicles in the upper left corner on the new access road where to work to complete the intersection (new signals being installed now) continues. Otherwise, everything looks ready to go.

DJSNOLA

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Metrocard wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
u board and unboard on the tarmac, no tsa lines for security, literally a taco truck for food and almost impossible to get an uber / lyft to pick you up.

Is your complaint that they don’t have a PreCheck line or are you saying there is no security checkpoint at all? Does that terminal get busy enough to necessitate one?

Aside from that and sitting on a 100° aircraft, the rest of your experience (emplaning on the tarmac, etc.) is a common enough occurrence at large airports like LAX and JFK and I’ve never seen anyone bat an eye. This is practically normal at major European airports like LHR, DUB, CDG, etc. depending on parking availability and terminal.

sorry i should have been clearer... my complaint was there was a pre check line but it wasnt operable so it made check in kind of a mess.. i certainly can appreciate the ambiance of the smaller terminal in some ways... my main point was that there are plenty of downsides to it as well. unfortunately, my expereince sunday was one problem after the other and they just cascaded.

Not blaming anyone either since frontier sent me and the rest of my group vouchers for future flights... so I think everyone realized it was kind of a mess

DJSNOLA

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:17 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
william wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

I heard some rumors about reusing some of the old spaces in the old original airport as event and possibly dining venture sort of like the current lakefront airport and its terminal.. i think that would be a pretty neat idea to be able to lounge and watch planes take off in a vintage type setting

DJSNOLA

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Latest aerial photo. Work continues to complete the entry and exit roadways and booths for the long term parking garage. Can also see some construction vehicles in the upper left corner on the new access road where to work to complete the intersection (new signals being installed now) continues. Otherwise, everything looks ready to go.

I still wonder why the airport wouldnt just pave over the area currently used for constructon worker parking as additional surface lot parking? seems like it would be in demand too? I know that may require additonal environmental impact statement or drainage adjustments but still seems it would be worthwhile no?

msycajun

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 pm

sketch wrote:
Just got the following notification through the NOLA Ready email notification system:

The Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) is seeking 100 volunteers to participate in a full-scale airport public safety exercise. This important drill will help MSY and their public safety partners test emergency response plans in the event of an incident.

Volunteers will be assigned various roles to play in the exercise, including roles with varying degrees of injury. Role-playing with real people allows emergency personnel to fully test plans, policies, and response.

Date & Time: September 25, 2019, 7am-1pm

Location: Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY West Ramp - Red Roof Building - 4 W Access Rd, Kenner)

Water, lunch and free parking are included.

Further instructions and directions for the exercise will be provided in an email following registration.

This is not a Nola Ready event, but we hope you can support our airport partners by volunteering for this important public safety exercise.

For additional questions, please contact Heather Hilliard at [email protected]

Interesting, my initial thought was that this would be for the north terminal, but the address is on the south side. I wonder if this is just a general drill? They do these every now and then, there was one at Armstrong Park not too long ago.

sketch

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:51 pm

I dunno, maybe they will shuttle everyone to the North Terminal?

NolaMD88fan

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:38 pm

These drills are usually outside to mimic a plane crash, so it isn't related to the new terminal.

SNN707

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:20 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
These drills are usually outside to mimic a plane crash, so it isn't related to the new terminal.

I thought at one time you could sign up for an NT "simulation" shortly before opening to test check-in, TSA, bathrooms, bag claim, etc.

Obviously this isn't it. But I would think opening would be no earlier than 3 wks after the NT simulation. So as of today, we're probably not looking at a GO LIVE until 1 Oct at the earliest.

I think it happens 29 OCT. 3 weeks before Thanksgiving rush. If not then, then 3 DEC (still technically Fall)

NolaMD88fan

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:25 pm

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

I thought at one time you could sign up for an NT "simulation" shortly before opening to test check-in, TSA, bathrooms, bag claim, etc.

Obviously this isn't it. But I would think opening would be no earlier than 3 wks after the NT simulation. So as of today, we're probably not looking at a GO LIVE until 1 Oct at the earliest.

I think it happens 29 OCT. 3 weeks before Thanksgiving rush. If not then, then 3 DEC (still technically Fall)

At this point, who knows.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:23 am

New Liquor Filing for United Airline Lounge at new terminal

UNITED CLUB MSY 1 TERMINAL DR SPACE 1711 KENNER LA Jefferson AG.26.0000115170-BL AG.BL - CLASS A GENERAL BEER AND LIQUOR 2600115170 PENDING 09/10/2019

SNN707

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:09 pm

The Antonov AN-124 is back at MSY. Quite a regular visitor now.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 pm

SNN707 wrote:

Pretty cool... why is it here so much now?

SNN707

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:44 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

Pretty cool... why is it here so much now?

I would say lots of oversized oilfield equipment, and it being several times at Stennis - rocket motors. Also, the AN-124 is sort of like the old tramp steamship, it wouldn't sail until it had a load. I think they try to keep airframe and engine times as low as possible. So if the next load isnt for 7 days, they wont fly all the way back to the Ukraine. My guess also the laying over here also is better for crew morale. Lots of things to do as opposed to Huntsville or that cargo airport in the middle of nowhere in coastal Carolina. They're away from home a long time, and flying back home via LHR is also easier. Just leave the plane here with a skeleton crew.

Nola

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:27 pm

The Points Guy has a post on the North Terminal:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/tpg-tours ... e-44677045

NolaMD88fan

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Nola wrote:
The Points Guy has a post on the North Terminal:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/tpg-tours ... e-44677045

Noticed that Silver is no longer mentioned with JetBlue on the departures sign. No surprise there.

TSA screening area looks to be the biggest project left in terms of finishing the ceiling up and installing equipment.

Looking forward to flying out of this beautiful facility.

Kyoya

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Here are some pics I took today. Sorry for not sorting them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WQ9rV ... d1jRCjb6Is

sketch

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Kyoya wrote:

All these road sign pictures are absolute gold to me. I'm a Waze map editor and would love nothing more than to have everything properly named and labeled before the terminal opens.

Kyoya

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:00 pm

sketch wrote:
Kyoya wrote:

All these road sign pictures are absolute gold to me. I'm a Waze map editor and would love nothing more than to have everything properly named and labeled before the terminal opens.

I figured they would be of interest to someone.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos