Proudly banned from TigerDroppings since 2011
What are they saying on that drivel den?
I'll point out some points mentioned in TD and comment in parens after. A few good posters there, others mostly uninformed.
- not enough seats and too crowded in concourses (maybe true based on the open house. But probably by design to drive pax to food/bar)
- no moving walkways (MSY is big but manageable, those help in connex airports more)
- DL and WN did not get what they wanted from NOAB, are not happy (can't validate that, but DL seems to have adequate gate space, WN maybe not)
- is this terminal big enough to support 42 gates when its so crowded now (TSA and rideshare will get worked out, but I'm kind of wondering the same, which brings to the next point)
- no way 35 or even 30 planes can be at 35 gates (I can see this with 757 on up, but can 35 737/320's be accommodated at same tme?)
- instead of expanding to 42 gates at NT, bargain lease to WN the old ST Concourse C and let them build it out as they see fit. (a lot of posters seem in agreement on this. But its very complicated with the revenue bonds. That said, it makes some sense over building a 2nd NT later on, esp from a flight ops scenario and the fact a lot of fixed assets are already there)
- build a tramway/rail connecting the NT and ST (totally cost prohibitive - but if indeed an airside link is done, using the runway tunnel and dedicated road just for a bus shuttle would be the only option. Otherwise, the current landside bus shuttle would suffice)
- getting to the NT is a disaster (I think this has been pleasantly debunked. Loyola & Vets seems to be working quite well)
- Arrivals curbside is a cluster**** (TRUE - biggest issue is the approach to curbside backs up a lot, prevents rideshares from getting to the curb, and taxis take up a lot of the curb. My suggestion would be use the underutilized Short term surface lot to create a roomy rideshare facility close in to the terminal. Then leave the taxis to the inner arrivals curb and personal pickup to the outside curb)
- how will the build the ramps without impacting traffic? (good question - my advice dont do it during the holidays)
- not enough bag claim belts (right now, its ok as more pax are carrying on and I believe they are stacking multiple flights per belt, but as pax counts grow or if airlines change carryon policy, who knows)
There's a lot more, mostly uninformed posts. Bottom line, let's see in a month how things are. TSA will be fixed. Rideshare will be addressed. Plenty of parking. But I am very curious how a 35gate, 17million pax terminal will function.