DJSNOLA

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:49 pm

SNN707 wrote:
LightningZ71 wrote:
I've been to the new terminal several times since opening and haven't had a single soap dispenser problem at any of the bathrooms that I've used. Also, AT&T and Verizon have decent coverage throughout the terminal, with only a few low signal areas that are between large support columns or in corners that have a lot of metal.around them. T-Mobile (and metro) are spotty all over the airport. That is, unfortunately, a carrier issue that they have had for a long time. Their primary spectrum has awful building penetration characteristics, and their recently added channel only helps a little. They have another major spectrum expansion project starting that may help more, but that will also require new devices in user hands that can actually use that new spectrum.

Also, there is free wifi that has full coverage throughout the facility. I've speed tested it many times and, while it advertises a minimum of 5 Mbps, it achieves over 20 on a regular basis. That's more than enough for both ride share apps and voice over Wifi calls.

Good to hear about the soap - maybe they are close to fixing that all around. I contacted TMO about this after the open house when I had basically no or little signal. I guess I need to tell them again. What fries me is when WN or TMO drops the ball, the airport seems to get the blame from pax.

On another topic, arriving at 12.45am, you really get the full picture on just how many planes overnight at MSY. I think there were 5 or 6 on the east RON area, almost every gate had a plane, including A which had a WN and an AA plane sleeping there (didnt get a view of the west RON stand).

Took a driverless Lyft BMW in Vegas. Very cool. Cheap since we were guinea pigs I guess. It will be interesting what arrivals will look like with those in the mix one day.

i really think with the driverless vehicles as well as current ride share the airport will move to a model similar to what they had at the old terminal.. a dedicated ground floor area probably where the current surface lot is located... the problem with timing pickup with rideshare is some people order them before the luggage has arrived so they wait around

and it def appears T mobile can step their game up with their network there... it is unfortunate because people blame the airport when its really the carriers fault

DJSNOLA

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:57 pm

looks like a pile is in the ground now for the flyover ramp.

SNN707

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:15 am

Thought fellow forumers would like to see how Skytrax posters feel about our new terminal. Not so good so far on that site.

https://www.airlinequality.com/airport- ... s-airport/

NolaMD88fan

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:39 am

August 2019 domestic and May 2019 international load factors and passenger numbers by route have been calculated.

International load factor for all carriers in May was 86.6%. Passenger traffic grew by -7.4% and seat count fell by -12.9% resulting in a 5.2% increase in load factor year over year. The drop in seat count and passenger count was directly tied to DE and DL not flying to FRA and CUN in May of this year. I had to combine PUJ and MBJ routes to estimate the Vacation Express (Swift Air) numbers this year as they were missing from the T-100 report. I used the dates flown to PUJ and MBJ, seat count of the aircraft, and the passenger totals reported for Vacation Express by the airport to calculate the total load factor for both PUJ and MBJ. Hopefully, the individual route numbers will be reported when June statistics come out next month.

May International route seat count(%change), pax count(%change), and load factor(change)

Airline............Seats.............................Pax..........................LF
AC................4,712(+0.1%)................4,207(+8.8%).........89.3%(+7.2%)
BA................9,634(+2.3%)................8,395(+7.0%).........87.1%(+3.8%)
CM...............4,472(+3.0%).................3,554(+2.3%)........79.5%(-0.5%)
WN...............1,144(0.0%).....................919(+6.6%).........80.3%(+5.0%)
WQ...............2,088(+6.0)...................2,014(+30.4%).......96.5%(+18.1%)

Domestically in August, airport-wide seat count grew by 7.4%, and pax traffic increased by 4.7% resulting in a -2.0% decline in load factors to 76.7%. AS's MSY-SEA route had the best loads of the month at 92.2%. NK's MSY-AUS route had the worst loads of the month at 52.5%. Year to date through August, airport wide domestic load factor was 80.8%. DL's seasonal MSY-SEA route had the highest load factor through August at 91.2%, and NK's MSY-AUS route had the lowest load factor at 56.5%.

AA, B6, G4, and UA all saw declines in passenger traffic in August. AS, DL, F9, NK, and WN all saw increases in passenger traffic.

August Domestic route seat count(% change), pax count(%change), and load factor(change):

Airline............Seats.............................Pax..........................LF
AS................20,002(-0.2%)..............15,723(+6.4%).........78.6%(+4.9%)
AA..............193,984(-1.3%)...........148,135(-5.1%)...........76.4%(-3.1%)
B6................34,556(-5.6%)..............29,384(-2.1%)..........85.0%(+3.0%)
DL..............219,913(+7.1%)...........184,825(+9.8%).........84.0%(+2.1%)
F9................40,814(+21.4%)............32,326(+13.1%).......79.2%(-5.6%)
G4.................8,040(+7.1%)................6,367(-0.2%)..........79.2%(-5.9%)
NK..............201,332(+26.9%).........155,745(+22.3%).......77.4%(-2.9%)
UA..............145,163(+0.2%)............111,200(-6.0%).........76.6%(-5.1%)
WN.............515,509(+7.3%)...........374,355(+3.9%).........72.6%(-2.4%)

Domestic
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E9rmJybgx62zThKL7FM9L53IOgxRhYEFSwGjW7KSHNw/edit?usp=sharing

International
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f_6DXIGr6PSyokEb5zZ_1OmdCwaesNjL2vt_N0BdigU/edit?usp=sharing

NolaMD88fan

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:57 am

SNN707 wrote:
Thought fellow forumers would like to see how Skytrax posters feel about our new terminal. Not so good so far on that site.

Three total reviews since the airport opened is not enough of a sample size to gather any conclusion from.

SNN707

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:53 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

Three total reviews since the airport opened is not enough of a sample size to gather any conclusion from.

Hence the words "so far". But the reviews quoted are from non-NOLA pax. It will bear watching as the months roll on.

But some comments run similar to ones in this forum. It's fair to ask if indeed there are enough seats in the gate areas for normal ops. Also there are plenty of elec outlets if you find a seat.

But it pains me to hear recurring posts from the NT that are similar to ones from the old terminal per surliness and rudeness from employees from both TSA and retail. I'm really hoping the new vendors nip that in the bud.

I'm also wondering if the NT was built big enough. On a non peak time, the concourses seemed pretty full of pax at the gates and establishments. Being that most gates 737/320 sized, only increases in flights will grow the airport. At 13M+ now, what is the theoretical max capacity of the NT per gates/checkin/bag claim? From the looks of it, I'd say 18M will be pushing it. Its a good problem to have until the limit is reached.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:14 am

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

Hence the words "so far". But the reviews quoted are from non-NOLA pax. It will bear watching as the months roll on.

But some comments run similar to ones in this forum. It's fair to ask if indeed there are enough seats in the gate areas for normal ops. Also there are plenty of elec outlets if you find a seat.

But it pains me to hear recurring posts from the NT that are similar to ones from the old terminal per surliness and rudeness from employees from both TSA and retail. I'm really hoping the new vendors nip that in the bud.

I'm also wondering if the NT was built big enough. On a non peak time, the concourses seemed pretty full of pax at the gates and establishments. Being that most gates 737/320 sized, only increases in flights will grow the airport. At 13M+ now, what is the theoretical max capacity of the NT per gates/checkin/bag claim? From the looks of it, I'd say 18M will be pushing it. Its a good problem to have until the limit is reached.

Its designed to handle 20 million passengers. Looking forward to another flight out of the new terminal on Thursday. The ramp views are a spotters dream.

DJSNOLA

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:20 pm

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

I can tell you this little nugget about online comments : whether its food, travl, hotel rooms, movies.. .people that tend to take the time to comment on something , its cause they want to complain.for example, if you care about your sanity avoid nola.com comments and tiger droppings at all cost

Flying out tomorrow morning again out of the new terminal (headed to montreal on air transat).. the new terminal is great and a lot of the kinks have been ironed out...

that being said im a rare breed person in that i take the time to comment on things when its positive experiences .. so will give my review on sites if i can

SNN707

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:01 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

I can tell you this little nugget about online comments : whether its food, travl, hotel rooms, movies.. .people that tend to take the time to comment on something , its cause they want to complain.for example, if you care about your sanity avoid nola.com comments and tiger droppings at all cost

Flying out tomorrow morning again out of the new terminal (headed to montreal on air transat).. the new terminal is great and a lot of the kinks have been ironed out...

that being said im a rare breed person in that i take the time to comment on things when its positive experiences .. so will give my review on sites if i can

I agree. There are many trolls out there in the internet on every site. Who are these miserable ppl? That being said, I do look for common trends. Like bed bugs, safety, etc. Will be looking for those trends at MSY, but with a grain of salt.

We had a great MSY experience save for the hour or so wait from 12.45am to around 1.40am for our bags. That's all on WN though. And its not just at MSY either from what I'm reading elsewhere.

One thing I noticed were the complaints about lack of gate area seating at MSY. I initially also had some concerns, but our C gate at LAS was about the same if not less. And while recently researching a trip to SJC, at least at the intl gates, there's hardly enough seating for half a widebody in the 2 gates combined (probably why The Club is there). So I think MSY is fine.

I do think we are going to need those 7 additional gates (to 42) sooner rather than later....

Nola

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:39 pm

SNN707 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

I do think we are going to need those 7 additional gates (to 42) sooner rather than later....

I agree. Is there a bonding limit or some other reason that the gates weren't added when A was designed? Or is the most likely response to capacity concerns going to be moving Frontier/Spirit/Southwest to the D concourse of the South Terminal?

SNN707

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:42 pm

Nola wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

I agree. Is there a bonding limit or some other reason that the gates weren't added when A was designed? Or is the most likely response to capacity concerns going to be moving Frontier/Spirit/Southwest to the D concourse of the South Terminal?

There seems to be a lot of mystery about how MSY can grow from it's current 35 gate situation. It seems to me the ONLY place this can happen is out west from the end of A - which is already a very long hike not adding even a longer hike with a 7 gate addition. Somewhere, there has to be at least a highly conceptual image about how this would happen.

it does make perfect sense to me to instead use old D and/or renovate old C for the LCCs/ULCCs (WN the exception). Tear down everything east of the Parabola, build a new check in/TSA/bag claim bldg, and make everything else post security for old C and old D.

I dont think this would really hurt most food/drink vendors at the NT. Pax who fly on ULCCs most likely won't be buying $15 drinks at Sazerac or eating at Emeril's table, when they are shoving a week's worth of clothes under an unassigned seat to save a buck.

I know we keep hearing using the old ST isn't going to happen. But it seems folly to add 7 more gates to a terminal which at times is stressed when you've got everything landside there at the ST, and have the luxury of a few years to get it ready. Making the Parabola and the old West check in post-TSA would allow affordable retail/food/drink to move in those spaces and allow free movement between old D and old C.

We're 5-10 years out here at a minimum. Just mothball it correctly and when the time comes, renovate. The long and short is you can then concentrate the big 3 in one NT concourse with higher end food/bev, and WN/B6/AS/misc in the other. What is certain in 5-10yrs SOMETHING will need to be built/renovated somewhere to accomodate pax growth.

LightningZ71

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:54 pm

I want to make sure that everyone understands this: NONE of the existing carriers want anything to do with the South terminal. The airport is really stretching the definition of "remain in use" as it is with concourse D being preserved for charter flights. It might see a handful of planes a year.

The near term plan is to year down concourses A and B and the East half of ticketing from the escalators to the end. Eventually, they want to year down C from the parabola to the end as well. The whole idea is to relocate general aviation over there to give them room to build an extension to A where the west hard stands and the general aviation terminal is now.

But, there is no rush to do any of that. Currently, there is no net growth seen in the short term, just some route and day swaps. Concourse A is barely used, with maybe six total planes a day on a good one. They still have two more jetways to move to the new A concourse!

And, it's just as well that they don't need to expand anytime soon, there's no more money available to start demolishing the targeted sections of the old terminal nor is there any to start on an expansion to the new A. They are counting on extra income from the increased landing fees that they agreed with the airlines on to help pay of the bonds they took for the construction and begin to pay towards the demo and next phase of growth.

BNAMealer

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 am

My two cents.

For a mid-sized airport like MSY, IMO, it’s better NOT to split operations between two terminals. This saves on cost. Eventually, the entire old terminal (including D) ought to come down and be replaced with general aviation facilities. I highly doubt D on the old terminal will be used enough to justify its continued existence.

I think another pier similar to B & C can be built off the end of A with another 15 gates if needed, bringing the total up to roughly 50. However, it will likely be some time before more gates are needed.

A more pressing need will be putting a new CONRAC facility/Ground transportation center adjacent to the new terminal. It is not needed right this second, but within the next decade most definitely.

SunsetLimited

Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:17 am

On the international side of things, A currently sees BA, CM, and TS... a grand total of 11 weekly flights at the current time.

It also sees roughly 2-3 daily on F9 during the day depending on the day of the week, and maybe 3 early morning originating flights on AA, WN, etc.

And that's it.

For 95% of the day, A has enough gate space to accommodate new service. An extension is just not needed right now.
Spread hope like fire.

msycajun

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:48 am

It's an interesting time to be watching aviation. Even with a strong economy, we've seen growth slow due to the MAX and a host of other equipment issues, plus turmoil in the transatlantic sector. It will be particularly interesting to see what WN does at MSY once the MAX returns. Plus NK, G4, and F9 have tons of planes on the way. If we're lucky there could be a few million more annual pax at MSY in the next few years. Even if there are free gates at certain parts of the day, that would put a lot of pressure on security, baggage, concessions, and roadways. I'd have to imagine that if and when expansion is needed, an additional terminal will need to be included.

Fortunately the opening of the UA and independent club plus additional concessions on A should relieve some of the crowding in gate areas. MSY certainly still has plenty on its plate with upcoming taxiway construction, south terminal demolition. I'd love to know where they plan on putting car rentals in the long term.

SNN707

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:50 am

SunsetLimited wrote:
On the international side of things, A currently sees BA, CM, and TS... a grand total of 11 weekly flights at the current time.

It also sees roughly 2-3 daily on F9 during the day depending on the day of the week, and maybe 3 early morning originating flights on AA, WN, etc.

And that's it.

For 95% of the day, A has enough gate space to accommodate new service. An extension is just not needed right now.

All good points per further expansion. In the end, given the various scenarios, it all comes down to money cost to the airlines (CPE), and the ability of the airlines to support the service they wish to operate out of MSY.

Say NK wants 5 more gates (to really expand), F9 and G4 two each. Thats 2 more gates than the theoretical NT terminal capacity. So something either must added, or renovate the ST. If the ST renovated cost (CPE) to airlines is less than a new concourse off A for the NT (which would need food + bev since A has none), would they still want nothing to do with the ST?

Just saying that it all comes down to money. We're not BNA or AUS with explosive growth. I think MSY needs to at least provide lower costs that the high growth airports to increase any kind of service that features connections. I'm totally fine with not using the ST again for ops. But then the money better be there for growth on the north side when it's time to do so. Once the ST concourses are gone, they're gone. Otherwise we'll be left in the dust again.

LAX772LR

Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:05 am

msycajun wrote:
It will be particularly interesting to see what WN does at MSY once the MAX returns.

Probably nothing spectacular, considering all the gates they're about to get in DEN.

msycajun wrote:
Plus NK, G4, and F9 have tons of planes on the way. If we're lucky there could be a few million more annual pax at MSY in the next few year

NK's definitely the one I'd be watching.

G4 seems like it's struggling to figure NOLA as a base market out, particularly if the rumors of hotels being reluctant to play ball with them, are accurate.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SNN707

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:17 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:
It will be particularly interesting to see what WN does at MSY once the MAX returns.

Probably nothing spectacular, considering all the gates they're about to get in DEN.

msycajun wrote:
Plus NK, G4, and F9 have tons of planes on the way. If we're lucky there could be a few million more annual pax at MSY in the next few year

NK's definitely the one I'd be watching.

G4 seems like it's struggling to figure NOLA as a base market out, particularly if the rumors of hotels being reluctant to play ball with them, are accurate.

It will be interesting to see the WN-NK battlegrounds going forward (F9 and G4 are ULCCs that really dont offer much per cnnx traffic). Right now, FLL is the big one by a large margin. On a smaller scale regionally, NK seems to be ramping up AUS and BNA.

While NK is growing here, WN is still king at MSY. Neither has the number of potential gates to obtain at the NT to really grow in a big way. This is where those last 7 remaining NT gates could come into play, especially if either WN or NK want to go intl out of MSY (close proximity). But thats 3 years of construction down the road if they started right now.

I think at any airport going fwd, WN is the prey and NK the hunter. NKs on time has surpassed AA, and WN can't decide whether or not it wants to be a LCC or a lower cost legacy. WN has a built in loyalty at MSY that's slowly being eroded. By ramping up, and possibly providing intl service to central/south america from MSY (were in a good geographic position there for midwest or NW connex) NK may just take their fight with WN to other airports.

Or NK could do the same while WN sits on its hands at MSY. A non scientific opinion - I think NK is better off fighting WN at millenial heavy cities like AUS and BNA, where pax may travel much lighter and bags fly free doesn't matter as much. I'd guess more pax check bags here at MSY so that gives a leg up plus their (still) dominant position here. WN could add PDX, SMF, etc which could be timed for Florida connex. I know there is HOU but MSY offers some nice tourist O&D as well.

I'd like to see either airline make MSY a true focus city.

SunsetLimited

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:38 pm

Just FYI, WN recently tried MSY-SMF but it has quietly been discontinued.
Spread hope like fire.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:24 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:

Same with some 1x weekly flights to BOS, CLE, and CMH. SMF had decent loads, but the yields were on the lower end. Maybe some of these routes will restart on a seasonal basis when the MAX returns to service. Tough to say.

AirFiero

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:30 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:

Was that daily or 1x/weekly?

AirFiero

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:30 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Same with some 1x weekly flights to BOS, CLE, and CMH. SMF had decent loads, but the yields were on the lower end. Maybe some of these routes will restart on a seasonal basis when the MAX returns to service. Tough to say.

Any idea if SJC did well?

SunsetLimited

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:33 pm

MSY-SJC is still operating seasonally.

MSY-SMF was both daily and 1x weekly at various times.
Spread hope like fire.

SNN707

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:22 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
MSY-SJC is still operating seasonally.

MSY-SMF was both daily and 1x weekly at various times.

Yeah, knew that but I meant if WN were to make MSY a true focus city, they would use it to funnel some pax on via connections. Like SMF/SJC/PDX > MSY > Florida/Caribbean. That would improve loads and allow for daily service. I absolutely think PDX could go daily by WN or NK on its own (but 28in pitch for that leg, ouch) even without focus. SMF and PDX are 2 large unserved markets. Not everyone wants to go thru LAS, HOU/DAL or PHX Southwest.

But if WN doesn't move post-MAX, NK probably will.

CMHtraveler

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:20 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

I can’t speak for the other cities you mentioned but 1x weekly (Sunday) CMH-MSY on WN resumes In January in line with its previous seasonal schedule. It’s currently bookable on Southwest.com with one of the January flights already sold out.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:36 pm

CMHtraveler wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

I can’t speak for the other cities you mentioned but 1x weekly (Sunday) CMH-MSY on WN resumes In January in line with its previous seasonal schedule. It’s currently bookable on Southwest.com with one of the January flights already sold out.

Good to hear.

SNN707

Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:34 am

CMHtraveler wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Echoing very good to hear. I was just searching last week for flights to SJC and SMH and the latter's fares were higher (all were connex). I'd like to see WN try to grow this route. You have options in the Bay Area, but SMH is a great jumping off point for wine country, the Sierras, Yosemite and Tahoe. For the average booking pax (non avgeek), knowing a flight is nonstop 1x is kind of hard to find, and even harder to make work for many travel plans.

SNN707

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Recent DE post on Black Friday air sale has MSY in the actual link but when you click it, no MSY.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3555791186

Here is the actual link text

https://www.condor.com/tca/us/offers/fi ... rrency=USD

Strangely, ANC and SEA are missing.

LAX772LR

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:46 pm

As shown elsewhere, the golden condor has been restored to DE's tail, and the Thomas Cook subtitles removed.

NolaMD88fan

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:02 pm

SNN707 wrote:
Recent DE post on Black Friday air sale has MSY in the actual link but when you click it, no MSY.

So schizophrenic when it comes to MSY.

superjeff

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:21 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

But Condor's website highlights New Orleans as one of their destinations in the U.S., so. . . .

LAX772LR

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:08 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:

Even if they announce tomorrow, it only leaves them around 6mo prior to the start of their typical season, no? :sad:

SNN707

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:35 am

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Even if they announce tomorrow, it only leaves them around 6mo prior to the start of their typical season, no? :sad:

I don't know why stating facts make me schizophrenic about MSY - its just discussion - but LAX makes a good point about the lack of lead time to buy tickets on DE. Because I usually book TATL on points, I need to do this about a year out to get decent availability. But I've read that for TATL cash prices, about 6 months out is optimal and many ppl book then. For S20 that time is now.

Assume of the total MSY TATL market, 40% book prior to 6 months out, another 40% book in the next 2 months, and the rest up to departure. Once those tickets are sold, the potential market shrinks with every passing day. This bodes poorly for DE's ability to fill planes/yields with such short lead time.

I just passed that tidbit on because it seemed odd the MSY was in the link but not in the result. I'll stay quiet on DE until another fact pops up to either confirm or dispel their MSY service for S20.

(And so glad DE is going back to yellowtail....)
Last edited by SNN707 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

LAX772LR

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:36 am

SNN707 wrote:
I don't know why stating facts make me schizophrenic about MSY

He was talking about Condor........

SNN707

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:58 am

LAX772LR wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

My deepest apologies to MD88 - I've been called a lot of things but schizo would be a new one LOL

But Europe is going through some serious airline turmoil now. I'm sure MSY is not high on DE's priority list right at this moment. They're dealing with loss of tour operator business, an aging fleet, and a loan that due in 3 months. It will be interesting.

NolaMD88fan

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:54 am

LAX772LR wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

Should have said DE is schizo concerning MSY. Thought that was implied. My bad.

SNN707

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:11 am

So the Business Week and Aerotelegraph of Germany just posted that LH Group will discontinue tourist longhaul flying by EW in 2020 - and create a new brand to do the flying. Supposedly this will be set up similarly to the Swiss/Edelweiss relationship.

Would MSY be a S20 destination - who knows. But maybe this changes everything again per USA low cost TATL to Germany. Does LH buy DE now and operate longhaul under Condor brand and Euro/sun routes under the EW branding? Can two German low cost airlines survive both flying out of FRA? Article says it wont be an exotic name like Joon. At any rate, a low cost TATL option would complement BA as it has the past few years out of MSY.

Here are the links if you want to use Google Translate...

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/lufthansa ... angstrecke

https://www.wiwo.de/unternehmen/dienstl ... 81484.html

NolaMD88fan

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:06 am

We flew out over the Thanksgiving weekend, and wanted to say that there were zero issues flying in or out. The extra security lanes helped keep people moving along, so security only took 10 minutes to clear even with a long line of people ahead of us. We did pass by the car that drove into the airport welcome sign. That person had to be drunk or high as hell.

LAX772LR

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
The extra security lanes

Are all lanes now physically completely built out?

LightningZ71

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Yes, all of the TSA lanes are physically present. I believe that the test runs on the last few lanes were completed around Thanksgiving. At this point, the only thing limiting them from running every lane at the same time is staffing and periodic maintenance needs. TSA should no longer be an issue as long as there isn't some larger problem affecting everything.

DJSNOLA

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Just returned from Montreal on Air Transat flight... the flight leaves out of A1. Will say both leaving and returning the flights were easily 95-98 percent full which is good to see for such a new route. Majority of the passengers are O&D from Montreal which is to be expected and probably even more so being that my outbound left on Thanksgiving Day.

As far as A terminal goes... a couple things I notice.. one theres nothing over there right now to browse or eat, just multiple bathrooms. Vino Volo and its market looks like its construction is cruising along as does The Club on second floor. Im not sure what the plan is for Duty Free on A but I think it could be successful. that said they may need to move some domestic flights to that terminal to give it the consistent traffic it needs to get more offerings. maybe move sun country and jet blue over there ?

Oh and on my return it was the fastest Ive ever gotten luggage from baggage claim , so that was awesome to see. Parking situation was so easy in short term too...

DJSNOLA

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 pm

SNN707 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

My deepest apologies to MD88 - I've been called a lot of things but schizo would be a new one LOL

But Europe is going through some serious airline turmoil now. I'm sure MSY is not high on DE's priority list right at this moment. They're dealing with loss of tour operator business, an aging fleet, and a loan that due in 3 months. It will be interesting.

heres the honest question at this point: would anyone here actually book a flight on Condor next summer? especially if booking things that are non refundable if stranded? with the increase in BA service I dont see why anyone would risk a Thomas Cook/Wow Air type situation

william

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:01 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
I want to make sure that everyone understands this: NONE of the existing carriers want anything to do with the South terminal. The airport is really stretching the definition of "remain in use" as it is with concourse D being preserved for charter flights. It might see a handful of planes a year.

The near term plan is to year down concourses A and B and the East half of ticketing from the escalators to the end. Eventually, they want to year down C from the parabola to the end as well. The whole idea is to relocate general aviation over there to give them room to build an extension to A where the west hard stands and the general aviation terminal is now.

But, there is no rush to do any of that. Currently, there is no net growth seen in the short term, just some route and day swaps. Concourse A is barely used, with maybe six total planes a day on a good one. They still have two more jetways to move to the new A concourse!

And, it's just as well that they don't need to expand anytime soon, there's no more money available to start demolishing the targeted sections of the old terminal nor is there any to start on an expansion to the new A. They are counting on extra income from the increased landing fees that they agreed with the airlines on to help pay of the bonds they took for the construction and begin to pay towards the demo and next phase of growth.

Thank you for the post, answered alot of my questions. Tearing the down the old terminal now, benefits no one, and is expensive. Are they still using the parking lot in front of the old terminal?

Will be interesting to see what happens to the businesses on Airline Drive that were there to support the old terminal. Will be interesting to see them move if they move at all.

msyjay

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Without much fanfare, Condor has announced that it is returning for the Summer.

http://condor-newsroom.condor.com/en/us ... booking-1/

NolaMD88fan

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:06 pm

Glad to see DE coming back, and even bringing back some May flying. Still annoyed it took them this long to announce it.

Delta28L

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:26 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Glad to see DE coming back, and even bringing back some May flying. Still annoyed it took them this long to announce it.

They’ve been a little busy dealing with the Thomas Cook collapse and trying to get everything sorted out from that. Condor was also in trouble and recently got more money to continue to operate and if they were going to collapse they didn’t want to announce anything before hand.

Nola

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 pm

It's on the airport facebook page too.

SNN707

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:05 am

msyjay wrote:
Without much fanfare, Condor has announced that it is returning for the Summer.

http://condor-newsroom.condor.com/en/us ... booking-1/

Without much fanfare is spot on. DE has their marketing work cut out for them. But better before the holidays than after. Ironically just a few days after LH announces EW will stop flying longhaul in favor of a new airline.

Very interesting how DE is ramping up TATL longhaul a bit from MUC. Would love to see 2x to FRA and 1x to MUC through Oktoberfest. But really would like to see DE survive. So far the J fares seem a little high vs prior years. They'll need to come down a bit since their hard product is a year longer in the tooth.

LAX772LR

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:14 am

MSY is listed as one of the destinations "operated by partner 763"..... wonder what that indicates.

BWI had that once, and ended up getting served by MT A332 for DE. :scratchchin:

jbs2886

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:43 am

LAX772LR wrote:
MSY is listed as one of the destinations "operated by partner 763"..... wonder what that indicates.

BWI had that once, and ended up getting served by MT A332 for DE. :scratchchin:

MSY does not even show on the S2020 schedule (https://www.condor.com/de/generated/flugplan_S2020.pdf) attached to the PR (http://condor-newsroom.condor.com/en/us ... booking-1/). Neither do the long-haul MUC flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos