donindc

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:14 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
October 23 is the opening date all airline employees have been advised of, according to a friend at an airline at MSY. Not public yet but that’s what everyone is presumably being told.

I don't doubt that's what they were told, but if the recent pictures posted of the TSA screening area were in fact taken just last week, I have my doubts about Oct. 23. There are still no ceiling tiles and no screening equipment anywhere in sight. I don't have any idea how long it takes to deliver, install and test 16 lanes of screening equipment but I'd bet it's a real stretch to make an October opening at this point. Not to mention there haven't been any dry runs of passenger flow using volunteers from the general public as has been previously mentioned. I'm betting on early December. It will still be Fall since winter doesn't officially start until 12/21.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:55 pm

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

$58M seems a lot for about 250yds of taxiway. I also believe that the FAA pays for most of that if I'm not mistaken. I think the extra borrowing is simply for punch list items and closing out the project, your typical cost overruns on a project of this scale.

I would think that the work on G could commence quickly as the project's EIS was covered most likely by the pump station work. Things are falling into place. I'm almost 100% certain now the Go-Live date will be in early December.....

It's actually more than 250 yards of taxiway. The current portion of Taxiway G will also need to reinforced/rebuilt as it is not designed to handle of the weight of commercial sized aircraft.

That is great info - I did not know that. But it is also very troubling to think that all traffic using 11-29 will have to use Taxiway E and cross the live RWY11-29 again (except for arrivals on RWY11), while G is basically being totally rebuilt.

Im guessing at peak hours when RWY11 is in use, departures will have to taxi all the way over to S then cross 11-29 and taxi all the way out to 11 on E (off peak I guess it will be F to E to 11). For 29, it will be in reverse.

This should have been done long before the NT opening. There will be some long taxi times.

That is what will have to occur until G is rebuilt.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 am

Some updates from board meeting. Baggage system has passed all tests and is certified. That is a big milestone to pass. Training for airline tenants expected to be complete by mid-October. All concessions expected to get certificate of occupancy by end of next week. One of the vendors confirmed the date of October 23rd mentioned before, but that has still not been formally announced.

Now for a possible reason a date has not been officially announced yet. Access road won't be done at Veterans until mid-October due to an AT&T Telco vault needing to be buried. Once the vault is buried, they can finish paving that last part of the road.

DJSNOLA

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:49 am

What about the long term garage? They said mid to late october .. so I’m guessing nailing that down to a def date will be nescesarry too

SNN707

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:17 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
What about the long term garage? They said mid to late october .. so I’m guessing nailing that down to a def date will be nescesarry too

I will be very curious about the pricing. A huge amount of extra capacity is about to come one with the 3 NT lots plus the new USPark lot on Vets, in addition to PnF, the ST Garage and USPark staying open on Airline.

Losing the CC lot and ST short term garage negates the NT surface lot and NT short term garage. So the net gain is the big LT Garage and USPnorth. Don't think parking will be an issue anymore. I think PnF will have to cut rates because they have a very long haul using the Aberdeen entrance, and USPairline will no doubt drop rates big time for same reason.

LAX772LR

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:33 am

donindc wrote:
I have my doubts about Oct. 23.

FWIW, NOLA.com today stated that the airport will likely not be finished in October, despite the Oct23 leaks.

https://www.nola.com/news/business/arti ... e6ce8.html
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Metrocard

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:48 am

SNN707 wrote:
I will be very curious about the pricing. A huge amount of extra capacity is about to come one with the 3 NT lots plus the new USPark lot on Vets, in addition to PnF, the ST Garage and USPark staying open on Airline.

Losing the CC lot and ST short term garage negates the NT surface lot and NT short term garage. So the net gain is the big LT Garage and USPnorth. Don't think parking will be an issue anymore. I think PnF will have to cut rates because they have a very long haul using the Aberdeen entrance, and USPairline will no doubt drop rates big time for same reason.

Did US Park say that they were keeping the old lot open permanently or where they saying that they were staying open until the terminal was open since they had originally said they would move around the previous opening date?

SNN707

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:09 am

Metrocard wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

Did US Park say that they were keeping the old lot open permanently or where they saying that they were staying open until the terminal was open since they had originally said they would move around the previous opening date?

That's a good question. The sign says in big letters "Remaining Open". Since the Vets lot is not yet open, I read this as the lot will remain open after the Vets lot opens. I think USP is thinking that ppl coming from the Earhart direction will prefer to park on Airline rather than drive all the way to the end of Vets. I dont think they want to cede this business to PnF and the airport. Maybe at some point, just not at the start.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:03 am

LAX772LR wrote:
donindc wrote:
I have my doubts about Oct. 23.

FWIW, NOLA.com today stated that the airport will likely not be finished in October, despite the Oct23 leaks.

https://www.nola.com/news/business/arti ... e6ce8.html

The headline says that, but the body of the article never mentions a delay. Total clickbait. It even has a quote from a vendor saying the airport will open on Oct. 23rd according to airport staff, and there is no rebuttal of that statement by anyone else present.

The biggest news today is the baggage system passed all tests with flying colors, and that badge holding airport workers are being selected as volunteers for full scale operational testing on October 1st. Unfortunately, the volunteer opportunity will not be open to the general public. This was announced today.

SNN707

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:10 pm

Well, here's some bad news. Virgin Atlantic plans to add 84 new destinations from LHR, providing the 3rd runway is built.

But MSY doesn't make the cut (neither does BNA despite having a Virgin hotel like NOLA). New US routes planned are AUS, SAN, MCO, RDU, DEN, and ORD.

This is despite the idea being that they will go head to head against any route that is an IAG monopoly to LHR. So if we are going to get a Skyteam nonstop to LHR, it will be DL. Note this is very ambitious and long term, but it does indicate where MSY fits into Virgin's plan - it doesn't for now.

Article link
https://www.virgin.com/news/virgin-atla ... n-heathrow

Metrocard

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:47 pm

SNN707 wrote:
Well, here's some bad news. Virgin Atlantic plans to add 84 new destinations from LHR, providing the 3rd runway is built.

But MSY doesn't make the cut (neither does BNA despite having a Virgin hotel like NOLA). New US routes planned are AUS, SAN, MCO, RDU, DEN, and ORD.

This is despite the idea being that they will go head to head against any route that is an IAG monopoly to LHR. So if we are going to get a Skyteam nonstop to LHR, it will be DL. Note this is very ambitious and long term, but it does indicate where MSY fits into Virgin's plan - it doesn't for now.

Article link

Can MSY support two carriers to LHR or when a carrier to both LHR and LGW that aren’t no-frills budget airlines? Also, as much as I prefer VS over BA, at least BA allows you to connect over LHR.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:32 pm

SNN707 wrote:

Article link

So, this is basically a pipe dream of Virgin. It may be a decade or two before we see that 3rd runway at LHR.

msycajun

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Metrocard wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

Article link

Can MSY support two carriers to LHR or when a carrier to both LHR and LGW that aren’t no-frills budget airlines? Also, as much as I prefer VS over BA, at least BA allows you to connect over LHR.

MSY's European traffic is much more weighted towards continental Europe than most U.S. markets, which is why state, local, and business officials have been working to lure AF or DL to at CDG. I also wouldn't be surprised to see EW add FRA if Thomas Cook goes bust. A combination of LHR, FRA, and CDG is much better than multiple LHR or LHR/LGW. The various Virgin companies have little to no cooperation in terms of operations. But if we did see another Virgin company, my money would be on Virgin trains long before VA to LHR.

Also, one of the companies pushing for CDG service is Air Liquide, which just announced a $270 million expansion in the area.

donindc

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:58 pm

SNN707 wrote:

Article link

I don't really consider this bad news.The MSY-LHR market isn't strong enough for a second carrier on the route. BA's load factor across 12 months is running at about 79%, and that's based on 5X weekly. Imagine how diluted that would be if VS entered the market. The risk is turning the market into a money loser for both BA and VS. I think the current BA/Condor service combo is the perfect TATL offering to meet MSY's TATL demand. Hopefully something will replace Condor if they don't return, either to FRA or CDG.

Metrocard

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:19 pm

msycajun wrote:
MSY's European traffic is much more weighted towards continental Europe than most U.S. markets, which is why state, local, and business officials have been working to lure AF or DL to at CDG. I also wouldn't be surprised to see EW add FRA if Thomas Cook goes bust. A combination of LHR, FRA, and CDG is much better than multiple LHR or LHR/LGW. The various Virgin companies have little to no cooperation in terms of operations. But if we did see another Virgin company, my money would be on Virgin trains long before VA to LHR.

Also, one of the companies pushing for CDG service is Air Liquide, which just announced a $270 million expansion in the area.

That makes a lot more sense vs having an additional UK carrier that is more or less all O/D.

At any rate I’m flying out today, headed home and noticed a UA 772 on the rotunda at D. I’m assuming it’s spillover from IRROPs at IAH.

Also, multiple pax were complaining about long term parking, the credit card lot, Park and Fly, and US Park all being full. Obviously this is a recurring theme.

This brings me back to another question, what will the purpose of the surface lot at the NT be?

SNN707

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:29 pm

donindc wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

Article link

I don't really consider this bad news.The MSY-LHR market isn't strong enough for a second carrier on the route. BA's load factor across 12 m

onths is running at about 79%, and that's based on 5X weekly. Imagine how diluted that would be if VS entered the market. The risk is turning the market into a money loser for both BA and VS. I think the current BA/Condor service combo is the perfect TATL offering to meet MSY's TATL demand. Hopefully something will replace Condor if they don't return, either to FRA or CDG.

I agree in 2019, its not bad news. But we're talking 2026. And even then it may not be bad considering the DL/VS/KL/AF TATL JV may have other plans for MSY such as AMS or CDG - or DL flying MSY-LHR.

I agree that in 2019, I think MSY can support about 8-9 flights a week TATL. Which is about where we are now with the LF's. Given that DE has not renewed and will most likely go belly up, that throws some capacity on the market of ppl willing to fly nonstop out of MSY. So if BA does not increase capacity, then this opens a door for a non-oneworld airline to capture market share. That most likely will be either EW (Star) or DL/AF (skyteam).

Bear in mind that DL started TPA-AMS and it hss been wildly successful, mostly due to AMS large connection offerings. Running MSY-AMS on a 767 would absolutely eat into BA's LHR connection traffic in a big way. So you can see that very soon BA will need to S or get off the pot and announce daily at least in summer. As DL gets more 330neos, those 767s become available for developmental routes like MSY-AMS or CDG. Also do not discount the ease of connections in AMS vs post-Brexit LHR.

QB504

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Would greatly prefer a *A carrier to pick up if DE goes under. EW or LH would be awesome. UA even better but highly unlikely.

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:25 am

msycajun wrote:
which is why state, local, and business officials have been working to lure AF or DL to at CDG.

Interesting! Can you expand on this? Any indications beyond the the slips showing airport meetings with AF?

msycajun wrote:

:hearts: :hearts: Link, or anywhere we can read up on that?

Metrocard wrote:
noticed a UA 772 on the rotunda at D. I’m assuming it’s spillover from IRROPs at IAH.

UA's NRT-IAH, diverted.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:25 am

QB504 wrote:
Would greatly prefer a *A carrier to pick up if DE goes under. EW or LH would be awesome. UA even better but highly unlikely.

Of the three mentioned, I think EW on a Summer seasonal basis would work best. More leisure focused and with a price point closer to what DE offered.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:28 am

msycajun wrote:

Agreed about EW coming into the market if DE does go under. Very intrigued to hear about this push for AF service. I know there have been rumblings about this for the past several months, but we haven't heard much recently. Would be great if the local team could pull off either a DL or AF flight to CDG. I imagine it would not be daily service if it did come to fruition.

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:49 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Would be great if the local team could pull off either a DL or AF flight to CDG

Would be beyond shocked (though thrilled!) if they can land AF, considering that it doesn't really do medium US markets--IINM, the smallest gateway that it serves is IAD, but that's because that airport splits a 9million person CSA with BWI/DCA/etc.

Then again, if anyone could pull it off, it'd be MSY:
Still the only medium US gateway with nonstops to Central America, for nearly half a decade...

....and it'll be interesting to test how much the market wants to establish an actual French connection, and not just the one that people seem to believe it has. :razz:

msycajun

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:10 pm

The airport has been posting that the parking garages are full recently - I assume this is due to Imelda related flooding and apparently one of the bridges west of Beaumont is closed for the foreseeable future having been struck by barges. If it remains closed, I wonder if MSY will see some extra flights to Houston and points west.

SNN707

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:35 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Would be beyond shocked (though thrilled!) if they can land AF, considering that it doesn't really do medium US markets--IINM, the smallest gateway that it serves is IAD, but that's because that airport splits a 9million person CSA with BWI/DCA/etc.

Still the only medium US gateway with nonstops to Central America, for nearly half a decade...

....and it'll be interesting to test how much the market wants to establish an actual French connection, and not just the one that people seem to believe it has. :razz:

Will AF have enough lift considering they plan to retire their 380s in 2022? I can't see them starting a route to MSY only to need the metal in 2 years. This seems like an old DL 767 would get the MSY-CDG nod in the TATL JV decision. And I dont think that AF would begin a route because Air Liquide is going to buy a handful of seats.

I'm still riding for AMS as I think it has better Euro connections overall than CDG (and is much friendlier for connex).

In the end, DE goes belly up, EW takes over the route to FRA 3x seasonally. That's probably more likely than any other scenario IMO. If the FRA route drops, then BA goes daily 788, at least seasonally.

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:17 pm

SNN707 wrote:
This seems like an old DL 767 would get the MSY-CDG nod in the TATL JV decision.

Not sure the need to insert "old" in there, seeing as DL's intercon 767s have a newer interior than anything in the AF fleet, save for its one A350.

The high density version also has the advantage of only 25J seats, less than the configuration that DE flew several MSY segments with this year, and only 7 more than DE's low-J version.

[quote="SNN707"]I'm still riding for AMS as I think it has better Euro connections overall than CDG (and is much friendlier for connex).
....and comparatively zilch O&D, relative to the likes of LHR/FRA/CDG from MSY.
While any such flight would of course be primarily aimed at cnnx, O&D is almost always the higher yielding patronage.

That, and DL/KL can't add anything at AMS without subtracting another; KL's slot allotment is exhausted. CDG doesn't have that issue.

SNN707

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 am

LAX772LR wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
This seems like an old DL 767 would get the MSY-CDG nod in the TATL JV decision.

Not sure the need to insert "old" in there, seeing as DL's intercon 767s have a newer interior than anything in the AF fleet, save for its one A350.

The high density version also has the advantage of only 25J seats, less than the configuration that DE flew several MSY segments with this year, and only 7 more than DE's low-J version.

SNN707 wrote:
I'm still riding for AMS as I think it has better Euro connections overall than CDG (and is much friendlier for connex).
....and comparatively zilch O&D, relative to the likes of LHR/FRA/CDG from MSY.
While any such flight would of course be primarily aimed at cnnx, O&D is almost always the higher yielding patronage.

That, and DL/KL can't add anything at AMS without subtracting another; KL's slot allotment is exhausted. CDG doesn't have that issue.

I think you just made a pretty good argument that DL to CDG on that 25J 767 is quite possible. Maybe DL is waiting to see if EW will pick up MSY - whether or not DE survives or not since they haven't renewed.

Meanwhile we wait on BA.

LAX772LR

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:27 am

SNN707 wrote:
Meanwhile we wait on BA.

Well THAT hasn't shown itself to be much of a fruitful endeavor:
next month makes 2yrs since they've altered the scheduled service in any way.

Every other one of their yearround USA-LHR services got an announcement for daily and/or 4class upon completion of its first year, save this'n.

Could be worse, at least they haven't altered it down.... but still. :(
Last edited by LAX772LR on Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

N292UX

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:34 am

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

I feel like AF's smallest US market would have to be MSP and DFW. They don't even fly there year-round.

LAX772LR

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:38 am

N292UX wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

I feel like AF's smallest US market would have to be MSP and DFW. They don't even fly there year-round.

I was speaking in terms of pax throughput...

phatfarmlines

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:25 pm

Will there be an open house for the new North Terminal before it officially opens on what has been announced as October 23rd? Also, will this new facility completely replace all of the current South Terminal?

LAX772LR

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:14 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
will this new facility completely replace all of the current South Terminal?

Yes.

The rotunda gates of south concourse D will remain operational, but its use will be reserved for charters or infrequent events.

SNN707

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:38 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
Will there be an open house for the new North Terminal before it officially opens on what has been announced as October 23rd? Also, will this new facility completely replace all of the current South Terminal?

There was supposed to be an ops "run through/stress test" with public volunteers, but another poster said that this will be done only with badged airport employee volunteers.

I think we will all see it when we buy a ticket. Check out the great pics further down that a poster posted a few days ago.

NolaMD88fan

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:43 am

Sounds like Condor lives on for now. That is good news. The flight today should operate as normally scheduled. This will be the final flight of the Summer season. We'll see if they survive as a brand over the winter months, and if they will be back at MSY for next Summer. https://twitter.com/Condor/status/1175885838091280386

LAX772LR

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:00 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Sounds like Condor lives on for now. That is good news. The flight today should operate as normally scheduled. This will be the final flight of the Summer season. We'll see if they survive as a brand over the winter months, and if they will be back at MSY for next Summer.

FWIW, they still have a dedicated advertisement page for NOLA flight deals. Going to be watching to see what they do with this, upon update.

Mostly because the marketing is for October 2019, December 2019, and January 2020. Not sure who it'd now be on.

https://www.condor.com/tca/us/offers/fi ... rrency=USD

SNN707

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:12 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
Sounds like Condor lives on for now. That is good news. The flight today should operate as normally scheduled. This will be the final flight of the Summer season. We'll see if they survive as a brand over the winter months, and if they will be back at MSY for next Summer.

FWIW, they still have a dedicated advertisement page for NOLA flight deals. Going to be watching to see what they do with this, upon update.

Mostly because the marketing is for October 2019, December 2019, and January 2020. Not sure who it'd now be on.

An article in German just posted that the Federal German govt will not provide DE with a bridge loan. Also, TC has informed DE not to fly customers with TC package tours. I don't think the state of Hesse has the financial ability to keep DE flying until next summer much less next month. The loss of TC package tour business will immensely affect DE's revenues going forward.

However, ppl will still want to go on vacation, and no matter how the hotel side is handled, ppl still need to fly to the destination somehow. Ryanair and EasyJet don't have the capacity. This could be a blessing for DY/DI.

The thing with DE is their US/Canada longhaul probably has a far less % of pax on package tours than the sun destinations. Those routes could be of value to someone. I could see LH buying the whole of DE, sending the sun routes to Sun Express, and the longhaul to EW, and rebranding it "Condor". That might work, depending on the price and labor unions. If it did, LH would need to order some replacements for the 767s pretty quickly. This will be interesting.

SNN707

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:26 pm

SNN707 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

An article in German just posted that the Federal German govt will not provide DE with a bridge loan. Also, TC has informed DE not to fly customers with TC package tours. I don't think the state of Hesse has the financial ability to keep DE flying until next summer much less next month. The loss of TC package tour business will affect DE's revenues going forward (approx 20% of DEs load)

However, ppl will still want to go on vacation, and no matter how the hotel side is handled, ppl still need to fly to the destination somehow. Ryanair and EasyJet don't have the capacity.

The thing with DE is their US/Canada longhaul probably has a far less % of pax on package tours than the sun destinations. Those routes could be of value to someone. I could see LH buying the whole of DE, sending the sun routes to Sun Express, and the longhaul to EW, and rebranding it "Condor". That might work, depending on the price and labor unions. If it did, LH would need to order some replacements for the 767s pretty quickly. This will be interesting.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:47 am

Condor is once again all in with Oktoberfest starting next weekend. That is a positive sign for a return next Summer assuming they survive as an independent airline. You can even buy a Condor Air Premium Pass allowing access to the main hall and other amenities. https://oktoberfestnola.com/premium-pass/

msyjay

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:33 pm

We must be getting close. This was on the airports Facebook post this morning. https://www.facebook.com/14711429197583 ... =0&sfns=mo

NolaMD88fan

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 pm

msyjay wrote:
We must be getting close. This was on the airports Facebook post this morning. https://www.facebook.com/14711429197583 ... =0&sfns=mo

Biggest sign I've seen yet. Great news.

SNN707

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:52 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Condor is once again all in with Oktoberfest starting next weekend. That is a positive sign for a return next Summer assuming they survive as an independent airline. You can even buy a Condor Air Premium Pass allowing access to the main hall and other amenities. https://oktoberfestnola.com/premium-pass/

Thats interesting as we've known that MSY wasn't in the S20 schedule for quite some time, yet DE obviously paid a promotional/sponsor fee to the Oktoberfest for naming rights to the pass.

msycajun

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:03 pm

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Thats interesting as we've known that MSY wasn't in the S20 schedule for quite some time, yet DE obviously paid a promotional/sponsor fee to the Oktoberfest for naming rights to the pass.

I'm pretty sure the promotional funds were coming from the local tourism agencies anyway. The question is, did they sign an agreement for next summer or was this part of this summer's agreement? And why would they agree to put funding in place to promote a service that is not currently on sale? This is right about the time when some early birds will begin planning their early summer trips. MSY doesn't even show up as an option on their flight search anymore.

I enjoyed my trip on DE this summer, but they have not been setting MSY up for success with no flights for sale as early as their other markets and flying on the same days as BA this summer.

SNN707

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:11 am

msycajun wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

I'm pretty sure the promotional funds were coming from the local tourism agencies anyway. The question is, did they sign an agreement for next summer or was this part of this summer's agreement? And why would they agree to put funding in place to promote a service that is not currently on sale? This is right about the time when some early birds will begin planning their early summer trips. MSY doesn't even show up as an option on their flight search anymore.

I enjoyed my trip on DE this summer, but they have not been setting MSY up for success with no flights for sale as early as their other markets and flying on the same days as BA this summer.

Well DE is certainly one airline that (at least at MSY) has really succeeded and grown despite really not promoting it the way it should be promoted. I wonder how many ppl will see the promotion, have a good time and be inspired to book a trip to Germany on DE only to be told that "We are not flying to New Or-leens anymore". How do you say Scratching my Head in German?

DE was great but MSY needs the big boys to take over this route with a proper loyalty program and better biz hard product - and nurture the route properly. It will succeed.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:11 am

I think we will see the same pattern with Summer service announced as returning next month. Same pattern as the past two years.

SNN707

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:44 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
I think we will see the same pattern with Summer service announced as returning next month. Same pattern as the past two years.

DE would probably be wise not to go head to head with EW in PHX and ANC. That would free up frequencies to actually increase MSY to 3x-4x and maybe begin at BNA as well.

One thing interesting is that this last summer on days where DE wasnt operating at MSY, one had the option of B6 to NY then on MT across the pond. Thats gone now. DE's biggest hurdle will be to convince pax they will be around and get bookings far in advance.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:33 am

Very glad to see that DE got the bridging loan. https://www.dw.com/en/germany-condor-to ... SUVShmMI4s

Article states they are in talks with potential buyers. Really hope it's the LH group that can get them, although I've read that TUI is also interested. They will also start the process of separating themselves from Thomas Cook through German insolvency laws.

If they are around next Summer, I agree that they would be crazy to go head to head with EW in PHX and ANC.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:02 am

In new terminal news, today was another big day. Fencing around the ramp is down, terminal doors secured, and gate fitting took place. Basically, the airlines put aircraft into their assigned gates to make sure the lines were painted properly. Sounds like it was a success. Here are some shots from Spirit Airlines.

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Nice of spirit to let the airport borrow a plane for this

HMSHost is holding interviews for positions at #TheNewMSY today and tomorrow at the Crowne Plaza New Orleans Airport hotel. #MSYKREWE #bepartoftheKREWE

DJSNOLA

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:04 pm

Lots of steel going up at the new North Terminal at the MSY Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport!!! #Construction #PEC #theNewMSY

September 18 at 5:03 PM ·

LAX772LR

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:39 am

What is that structure?

NolaMD88fan

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:48 am

June 2019 domestic and March 2019 international load factors and passenger numbers by route have been calculated.

International load factor for all carriers in March was 80.4%. Passenger traffic grew by 0.4% and seat count fell by -0.2% resulting in a 0.5% increase in load factor year over year. AC had a pretty big drop in passenger numbers year over year. The weaker Canadian dollar may have something to do with that. Through the 1st quarter of the year, the airport wide load factor for international carriers was 73.3%. CM's MSY-PTY route had the highest load factor at 75.6%. DL's MSY-CUN route had the lowest load factor at 53.1% through the 1st quarter.

March International route seat count(%change), pax count(%change), and load factor(change)

Airline............Seats.............................Pax..........................LF
AC................9,512(+2.7%)................7,136(-7.3%)..........75.0%(-8.2%)
BA................9,432(+0.0%)................8,198(+7.7%).........86.9%(+6.2%)
CM...............4,340(-3.2%).................3,501(+3.0%).........80.7%(+4.9%)
DL................1,320(-11.4%)..................957(-5.0%)..........72.5%(+4.9%)

Domestically in June, airport-wide seat count grew by 5.8% and pax traffic increased by 4.7% resulting in a -0.9% decline in load factors to 84.2%. AA's MSY-LAX route had the best loads of the month at 95.7%. WN's MSY-PIT route had the worst loads of the month at 44.4%. DL's MSY-RDU route started up (resumption of pre-Katrina service) and had a good load factor of 83.1%. Through the 1st half of the year, airport wide domestic load factor was 81.7%. WN's MSY-SJC route had the highest load factor in the first 6 months of the year at 92.1%, and NK's MSY-AUS route had the lowest load factor at 58.6%.

AS, DL, WN, and NK were the only airlines to see an increased in both capacity and passengers in June. DL was the only airline where demand outstripped the capacity increase resulting in a higher monthly load factor. F9 was the only airline to see an increase in capacity and a decline in passengers. G4, AA, B6, and UA all saw declines in both capacity and passengers. SY did not operate in June.

One other note of interest is that NK had more capacity and transported more passengers than AA or UA in June making them the third largest carrier at the airport for that month.

June Domestic route seat count(% change), pax count(%change), and load factor(change):

Airline............Seats.............................Pax..........................LF
AS................20,966(+7.2%)............18,410(+3.5%).........87.8%(-3.2%)
AA..............187,262(-5.9%)............157,649(+4.5%)........84.2%(+1.2%)
B6................40,718(-7.8%)..............35,160(-3.9%).........86.4%(+3.5%)
DL..............221,746(+5.5%)...........199,960(+9.3%)........90.2%(+3.2%)
F9................33,708(+3.0%)..............28,495(-3.8%)........84.5%(-6.0%)
G4................12,918(-8.5%)................9,963(-15.5%)......77.1%(-6.4%)
NK..............198,371(+28.8%).........159,104(+24.9%).....80.2%(-2.5%)
UA..............143,159(-3.0%)............125,898(-5.0%)........87.9%(-1.8%)
WN.............536,154(+8.0%)...........439,455(+5.4%).......82.0%(-2.1%)

Domestic
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E9rmJybgx62zThKL7FM9L53IOgxRhYEFSwGjW7KSHNw/edit?usp=sharing

International
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f_6DXIGr6PSyokEb5zZ_1OmdCwaesNjL2vt_N0BdigU/edit?usp=sharing

NolaMD88fan

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:55 am

LAX772LR wrote:
What is that structure?

Some type of shopping kiosk. I know those pictures are pretty old though. The pictures posted by Kyoya a couple of weeks back showed that in place and painted black with what look like shelving units being installed beneath. I would expect it to be someplace selling snacks, drinks, etc. for those waiting on arriving passengers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos