DJSNOLA

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:28 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
One question.. are they putting ceiling paneling above the TSA area and the areas behind ticket counters or is that staying exposed?

All of the renderings I've seen have those areas enclosed by ceiling tiles, but maybe that plan has changed.

I see that in the renderings too im just confused why it looks like they just stopped.. or maybe they are still working and i dont see it.. but its purposeful where the ceiling tiles end which makes me wonder

DJSNOLA

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Any thoughts on an opening date right now? I think the 23rd would be pushing it since we havent had any permanent announcements.. if they dont open in first week or so of November I think we could see a post thanksgiving date because that would be nuts to open a new airport during or a week before the busiest flying week of the year... just my two cents... im still thinking the first week of november is most likely at this point to make sure long term garage is ready

NolaMD88fan

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:22 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Any thoughts on an opening date right now? I think the 23rd would be pushing it since we havent had any permanent announcements.. if they dont open in first week or so of November I think we could see a post thanksgiving date because that would be nuts to open a new airport during or a week before the busiest flying week of the year... just my two cents... im still thinking the first week of november is most likely at this point to make sure long term garage is ready

No clue there. Things seem to progressing along to an opening, but the date remains a mystery. I think we'll hear something about a week before opening.

ACI-NA also put out the top 50 airports of North America information. MSY was 42nd busiest airport when combining both Canada and the United States stats together. Ranked as 13th fastest growing among the top 50 airports. Not too shabby.

https://airportscouncil.org/intelligence/north-american-airport-traffic-reports/

DJSNOLA

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:23 pm

Interstate Signage Trusses:

SNN707

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:44 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

No clue there. Things seem to progressing along to an opening, but the date remains a mystery. I think we'll hear something about a week before opening.

ACI-NA also put out the top 50 airports of North America information. MSY was 42nd busiest airport when combining both Canada and the United States stats together. Ranked as 13th fastest growing among the top 50 airports. Not too shabby.

https://airportscouncil.org/intelligence/north-american-airport-traffic-reports/

I'd say zero chance of opening 23OCT, 15% 1st week of NOV, 100% 1st week of DEC

Loyola and Vets still a big hole and all of the wire work still needs to be done. That seems to be the Achilles heel with opening. Also looks like they are beginning work to put up light poles in the Vets median from the looks of the piling poles along that stretch.

DJSNOLA

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:11 pm

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

Loyola and Vets still a big hole and all of the wire work still needs to be done. That seems to be the Achilles heel with opening. Also looks like they are beginning work to put up light poles in the Vets median from the looks of the piling poles along that stretch.

they already said that vets will be finsihed next week at the city council meeting... so i dont think that will be a big hold up.. i thinbk early november is most likely

SNN707

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

they already said that vets will be finsihed next week at the city council meeting... so i dont think that will be a big hold up.. i thinbk early november is most likely

I can't imagine the board making a hard call until the intersection is completely finished: subgrade work, wired connections, traffic lights, paving and striping.

They are not going to rely on promises. They only have one chance to get it right. Another 10 days or 30 days is not a big deal with the holidays approaching. Also, with a Grand opening, travel writers will be invited, they also need time to make plans. Not 3 weeks. Everyone needs some good pub with this, and everybody needs to be here.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:13 am

Some updates: TSA equipment is now being installed; bag claim office construction about to wrap up; The Club and Vino Volo will not be finished by opening. Area is already construction walled off like you see when a new store is going into a mall. Not surprised given the much shorter lead times for those projects.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:38 am

Also, ceiling is done. No tiles above TSA.

SNN707

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:18 pm

Unlike last year, the Oktoberfest began last night with no apparent announcement of the resumption of service FRA-MSY. However, there was Condor signage on the main stage, and there was a Condor Airlines Premium Lounge pass (access to A/C, open bar, etc.)

Quite odd considering as of now you cannot book DE from MSY. Did talk to several ppl who just came from the Munich Oktoberfest. You wonder why DE never flew at least to the end of that in the past. Big event.

SunsetLimited

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:16 pm

TS MSY-YUL is now open for booking through August. I wonder if this quietly been extended to a year-round service?

I’m excited about this route.
Spread hope like fire.

DLD9S

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:03 pm

SNN707 wrote:
Unlike last year, the Oktoberfest began last night with no apparent announcement of the resumption of service FRA-MSY. However, there was Condor signage on the main stage, and there was a Condor Airlines Premium Lounge pass (access to A/C, open bar, etc.)

Quite odd considering as of now you cannot book DE from MSY. Did talk to several ppl who just came from the Munich Oktoberfest. You wonder why DE never flew at least to the end of that in the past. Big event.

Condor's summer 2020 schedule is out, and it appears MSY will not be returning: https://www.condor.com/us/generated/timetable_S2020.pdf
717 727 737 747 757 767 777 DC9 DC10 M80 M90 M11 L10 AB6 333 340 319 320 321 ARJ CRJ EM2 EMJ SF3 146 100 BE1...

SNN707

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:21 pm

DLD9S wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

Condor's summer 2020 schedule is out, and it appears MSY will not be returning: https://www.condor.com/us/generated/timetable_S2020.pdf

In the past 2 years, Condor has not had MSY in the original summer schedule for the next year. However, the did announce in early October. So far that is not the case this year. Because of that, every year they have lost out on potential bookings for ppl who book 9-12 months out. Despite that, they have had a strong showing at MSY.

The NOLA Oktoberfest is a natural marketing tool. Ppl are enjoying the beer and culture, and may decide to try out Condor to Germany next year - except they can't right now.

I'll say it - if they don't announce in the next 7 days and not take advantage of their most prominent marketing tool - they are gone forever. This would be a great time for EW to make an announcement and rescue the route. Just cover up the Condor sign on the stage LOL.l

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:18 pm

It makes no sense to sponsor the Oktoberfest if they aren't returning. Would expect to hear something soon. Last year the announcement was October 12th. October 10th the year before.

Also, figuring out routes with the loss of Thomas Cook connections may delay things. That timetable still has Thomas Cook flying included. We know that isn't happening.
Last edited by NolaMD88fan on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msycajun

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:37 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
TS MSY-YUL is now open for booking through August. I wonder if this quietly been extended to a year-round service?

Great find! Seems to be year-round now, was originally NOV-APR. On their website it's on sale through April 2021. Very excited about this route as well. I wanted to take advantage of it, but I was wary of Montreal during winter holidays, so I'm much more likely to take a trip over the summer. I'd have to imagine that once the AC/TS tie up occurs that they might be able to increase frequency once you have all of that connectivity to fill extra seats.

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:45 pm

msycajun wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Great find! Seems to be year-round now, was originally NOV-APR. On their website it's on sale through April 2021. Very excited about this route as well. I wanted to take advantage of it, but I was wary of Montreal during winter holidays, so I'm much more likely to take a trip over the summer. I'd have to imagine that once the AC/TS tie up occurs that they might be able to increase frequency once you have all of that connectivity to fill extra seats.

Oh wow! Great news!

DJSNOLA

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:50 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:

flying this over thanksgiving. (a littler nervous about the cold weather but ill survive i think lol.. i got the four seasons there for 270 a night ..wow). . also this airline has no place in current terminal and starts beginning of november,, another reason i think airport opens before then
Last edited by DJSNOLA on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJSNOLA

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:53 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
It makes no sense to sponsor the Oktoberfest if they aren't returning. Would expect to hear something soon. Last year the announcement was October 12th. October 10th the year before.

Also, figuring out routes with the loss of Thomas Cook connections may delay things. That timetable still has Thomas Cook flying included. We know that isn't happening.

i agree i also dont understand why they dont fly all the way through oktoberfest in germany? either way, it does seem like they should have more flexibility not less , next year no?

DJSNOLA

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:03 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Also, ceiling is done. No tiles above TSA.

are the ceiling tiles above the ticketing back of house done as well? great to hear as that was the most glaring things left to do...

DJSNOLA

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:43 pm

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:58 pm

No tiles over ticketing back of house either. The pics we have scene are the finished product.

DJSNOLA

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:31 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
No tiles over ticketing back of house either. The pics we have scene are the finished product.

So im confused they arent doing tiles above the tsa area at all?

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:44 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

That's what I was told.

bretonrlong

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:24 pm

So far where does it look like the best viewing area's will be? Anything on the first level in the terminal at all?

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:56 pm

bretonrlong wrote:
So far where does it look like the best viewing area's will be? Anything on the first level in the terminal at all?

I think the walkway on the third level overlooking the TSA and huge windows is the best area.

DJSNOLA

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:00 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

That's what I was told.

well it seems to fit the pictures that its not too.. so thoughts on that? since you saw it in person? does it look good the way it is?

Kyoya

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:46 am

It looks unfinished in person.

alexdelzotto1

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:47 am

msycajun wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Once AC takes over TS I could see it as a daily E75 or CR9.

NolaMD88fan

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:19 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

That's what I was told.

well it seems to fit the pictures that its not too.. so thoughts on that? since you saw it in person? does it look good the way it is?

Haven't seen it in person. Just told by someone who works at the airport. I'm surprised they aren't finishing it. Seems half done to me in the pictures.

SNN707

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 pm

alexdelzotto1 wrote:
msycajun wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Once AC takes over TS I could see it as a daily E75 or CR9.

I'm guessing AC had some imminent plans to start YUL-MSY year round. Now that TS has announced those plans are in place now, with TS doing the work in order to develop the route.

Montreal in winter is doable, as most of the city is connected underground. Its just really cold above ground. But in summer its fantastic.

NolaMD88fan

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:33 am

Now we just need to get WS back here with a YYC flight.

LAX772LR

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:52 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Now we just need to get WS back here with a YYC flight.

How cool would it be if they ended up putting one of their 736s (smallest thing in their fleet that can make the distance) on such a route?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DJSNOLA

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:23 pm

MSYlurker

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Lurker here...

There will not be ceiling tiles over TSA or the two concession areas, this is confirmed. This is beyond embarrassing, to spend 1 Billion dollars on a new terminal and value engineer the ceiling so it looks like a Costco.

CMAR projects always under deliver on with design because the construction manager controls the project instead of the design team, making poor choices like this one more likely.

The airport is making a decision this afternoon on the opening date, Nov looking more likely than expected.

AirFiero

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Wow, John Folse. Big name. We have his Cajun cookbook, it nearly takes two people to carry it. ;)

msycajun

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:04 pm

MSYlurker wrote:
Lurker here...

There will not be ceiling tiles over TSA or the two concession areas, this is confirmed. This is beyond embarrassing, to spend 1 Billion dollars on a new terminal and value engineer the ceiling so it looks like a Costco.

CMAR projects always under deliver on with design because the construction manager controls the project instead of the design team, making poor choices like this one more likely.

The airport is making a decision this afternoon on the opening date, Nov looking more likely than expected.

I totally agree. It's got to be a drop in the bucket to finish the tiling, no good reason not to install it everywhere. Most people don't realize how important acoustic tiles are, especially over such a large area that will be filled with the noise of hundreds passing through TSA. Being bombarded with all of that sound makes for a much more stressful experience.

November sounds reasonable based on what I see. Still a decent amount to be done especially on the interstate signage.

donindc

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:15 pm

MSYlurker wrote:
Lurker here...

Sounds like the Property Brothers from HGTV might be in charge.
"Got some bad news. We found some cracks in the sewer pipes and it's going to be very expensive to fix. In order to make up for it in the budget, we're not going to be able to give you those ceiling tiles you wanted in TSA and concession areas."

DJSNOLA

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:51 pm

donindc wrote:
MSYlurker wrote:
Lurker here...

Sounds like the Property Brothers from HGTV might be in charge.
"Got some bad news. We found some cracks in the sewer pipes and it's going to be very expensive to fix. In order to make up for it in the budget, we're not going to be able to give you those ceiling tiles you wanted in TSA and concession areas."

Its bizaree to me why they wouldnt finish that... whoever made that decision ? it looks odd.. if the ceilings in these areas werent visible from the passenger areas that would be one thing but they are so its just odd to not finish it out

DJSNOLA

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 pm

MSYlurker wrote:
Lurker here...

Hmmm when you say November im assuming first week or two is most likely now?

NolaMD88fan

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:22 pm

msycajun wrote:
MSYlurker wrote:
Lurker here...

I totally agree. It's got to be a drop in the bucket to finish the tiling, no good reason not to install it everywhere. Most people don't realize how important acoustic tiles are, especially over such a large area that will be filled with the noise of hundreds passing through TSA. Being bombarded with all of that sound makes for a much more stressful experience.

November sounds reasonable based on what I see. Still a decent amount to be done especially on the interstate signage.

Noise is the biggest concern for sure in that TSA area. Oh well. Looking forward to flying out of the terminal in November.

SunsetLimited

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:12 pm

The ceiling above the TSA does not look bad at all. I’ve seen it in person twice. In fact I like it the way it is. I think most will agree once they see it in person.
Spread hope like fire.

DJSNOLA

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
The ceiling above the TSA does not look bad at all. I’ve seen it in person twice. In fact I like it the way it is. I think most will agree once they see it in person.

That’s good to hear.. i think I’d be fine if they would finish the tiles above the ticketing back of house though... i think that def looks weird

NolaMD88fan

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 am

MSYlurker wrote:
Lurker here...

Any word on what was decided for opening date?

LAX772LR

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:12 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Noise is the biggest concern for sure in that TSA area.

Since I have no sense of humor, I honestly can't tell whether this was said in jest or not..... but that said, gonna go out on a limb and say that noise is among the least of TSA/designers' concerns, for what's to go on in that area. ;)
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SNN707

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:12 am

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Since I have no sense of humor, I honestly can't tell whether this was said in jest or not..... but that said, gonna go out on a limb and say that noise is among the least of TSA/designers' concerns, for what's to go on in that area. ;)

I don't know if this was value engineered or not, but it is not out of the question that with all that glass facing the ramp, they wanted a plain black ceiling so it would not be overly bright in the TSA area with a white dropdown ceiling. Also there may have been maintenance concerns being over the TSA area.

But frankly, I think that no one going through TSA is looking around at architecture, or as stated earlier, concerned about noise. So why spend money on an architectural feature that won't get appreciated and could incur additional maintenance costs.

Just being a Devil's Advocate here.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:38 am

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Not in jest. It's going to be loud in that area. I'm thinking more from the passenger point of view, not the TSA point of view. I think it will just lead to an even more uncomfortable experience for everyone involved. At least there will be an awesome view of the ramp to enjoy.

DJSNOLA

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:17 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Not in jest. It's going to be loud in that area. I'm thinking more from the passenger point of view, not the TSA point of view. I think it will just lead to an even more uncomfortable experience for everyone involved. At least there will be an awesome view of the ramp to enjoy.

I wonder if the TSA is the one that asked for this change to the ceiling tiles? Noise levels will def be interesting to hear and thats not really something you can test for, just anticipate with the types of material finishes used...

DJSNOLA

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Looks like the rest of the Sign Trusses have shown up or are on their way for the Interstate Signs... also notice from DOTD about installation this week

I-10 from Power Boulevard to I-310 interchange, St. Charles Parish, S.P. No. H.013599
Friday, October 04, 2019 at 1:21:05 PM

Westbound and Eastbound I-10 from Power Boulevard in Metairie to I-310 interchange in Destrehan, alternating single shoulder closures recurring daily from Monday, October 7th thru Friday, October 11th from 9:00 AM until 2:00 PM; while crews construct concrete footings and assemble new sign trusses.

DOTD appreciates your patience and reminds you to please drive with caution through the construction/maintenance site and be on the lookout for work crews and their equipment.

___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Kayla Klein
Project Analyst, 02/242
Department of Transportation and Development
166 W. 3rd St.
Kenner, LA 70063
Office: (504) 465-3473
E-mail: [email protected]
DOTD website: http://www.dotd.la.gov
Statewide Traffic Information – dial 511 or visit http://www.511la.org

SNN707

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:22 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I wonder if the TSA is the one that asked for this change to the ceiling tiles? Noise levels will def be interesting to hear and thats not really something you can test for, just anticipate with the types of material finishes used...

That well very well be true. If you remember the Brussels and Istanbul attacks, many were injured by hanging ceilings coming down. Not saying this is the case but simply put, these design elements are not critical to TSA's mandate. My major concern is ongoing maintenance - keep what they have looking good and functioning.

BTW looking like blast fences are going up between the C east ramp and LT garage area.

DJSNOLA

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm

i do remember the airport saying the tSA asked for some last minute changes

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos