LightningZ71
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:53 pm

The area above the TSA is an open girder ceiling, just like a warehouse or gym. The surface of the entire thing has an applied insulating/acoustic coating to reduce thermal transfer and reduce noise reflections. It's also a VERY high ceiling, so sound wave bounce back will be greatly diffused due to area and distance. I don't think that excessive noise will be an issue for the area, aside from the fact that it'll be hundreds of people crammed together at a time.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:46 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
The area above the TSA is an open girder ceiling, just like a warehouse or gym. The surface of the entire thing has an applied insulating/acoustic coating to reduce thermal transfer and reduce noise reflections. It's also a VERY high ceiling, so sound wave bounce back will be greatly diffused due to area and distance. I don't think that excessive noise will be an issue for the area, aside from the fact that it'll be hundreds of people crammed together at a time.



that makes sense since the volume of the space is quite large... well as long as it looks great , im fine with it.. now we just need that opening date announced... .
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:36 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
The area above the TSA is an open girder ceiling, just like a warehouse or gym. The surface of the entire thing has an applied insulating/acoustic coating to reduce thermal transfer and reduce noise reflections. It's also a VERY high ceiling, so sound wave bounce back will be greatly diffused due to area and distance. I don't think that excessive noise will be an issue for the area, aside from the fact that it'll be hundreds of people crammed together at a time.


Good to know. Thanks!
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:19 pm

Has anyone noticed if the signs on the NT arrivals ramp still list "Condor"?

I know Silver was removed presumably when it came apparent they weren't coming here. As long as Condor is still on the sign there may be hope. I can't see the terminal opening shortly with them still listed if they aren't returning.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:31 pm

SNN707 wrote:
Has anyone noticed if the signs on the NT arrivals ramp still list "Condor"?

I know Silver was removed presumably when it came apparent they weren't coming here. As long as Condor is still on the sign there may be hope. I can't see the terminal opening shortly with them still listed if they aren't returning.


It was as of four days ago.

Then again, there’s no sign for Air Transat, so it probably doesn’t mean much.
Spread hope like fire.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:12 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
Has anyone noticed if the signs on the NT arrivals ramp still list "Condor"?

I know Silver was removed presumably when it came apparent they weren't coming here. As long as Condor is still on the sign there may be hope. I can't see the terminal opening shortly with them still listed if they aren't returning.


It was as of four days ago.

Then again, there’s no sign for Air Transat, so it probably doesn’t mean much.



true and who knows what will happen to the first fliers of air transat since they may have to use south terminal... Air Canada is purhcasing air transat but i dont think that is until may 2020.. so not sure how people will be processed until then and if the name air transat will stikc around or be changed to air canada
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:54 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
Has anyone noticed if the signs on the NT arrivals ramp still list "Condor"?

I know Silver was removed presumably when it came apparent they weren't coming here. As long as Condor is still on the sign there may be hope. I can't see the terminal opening shortly with them still listed if they aren't returning.


It was as of four days ago.

Then again, there’s no sign for Air Transat, so it probably doesn’t mean much.



true and who knows what will happen to the first fliers of air transat since they may have to use south terminal... Air Canada is purhcasing air transat but i dont think that is until may 2020.. so not sure how people will be processed until then and if the name air transat will stikc around or be changed to air canada


Well CrankyFlier opines that TS will remain in name due to Quebecois political considerations.

https://crankyflier.com/2019/07/02/air- ... to-quebec/

But this next article bears watching, as TS has an agreement with Thomas Cook for seven aircraft to use over the winter. That is now void. Hopefully TS can still get the metal to serve MSY

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/09/23 ... -dies/amp/

One last thing - why would TS have to use the ST? The NT has software now to let any airline use any counter and gate if necessary.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:51 am

SNN707 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

It was as of four days ago.

Then again, there’s no sign for Air Transat, so it probably doesn’t mean much.



true and who knows what will happen to the first fliers of air transat since they may have to use south terminal... Air Canada is purhcasing air transat but i dont think that is until may 2020.. so not sure how people will be processed until then and if the name air transat will stikc around or be changed to air canada


Well CrankyFlier opines that TS will remain in name due to Quebecois political considerations.

https://crankyflier.com/2019/07/02/air- ... to-quebec/

But this next article bears watching, as TS has an agreement with Thomas Cook for seven aircraft to use over the winter. That is now void. Hopefully TS can still get the metal to serve MSY

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/09/23 ... -dies/amp/

One last thing - why would TS have to use the ST? The NT has software now to let any airline use any counter and gate if necessary.


TS has their first flight on 11/3. If the new terminal is not open by that date, they will have to fly out of the current terminal for at least one day of service. That's what the OP was referring to.
 
ExMilitaryEng
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:27 am

SNN707 wrote:
Well CrankyFlier opines that TS will remain in name due to Quebecois political considerations.

While it's an easy political shot from CrankyFlier, I would pretend that Transat has a better brand image than Rouge - anyways you look at it. It actually makes perfect business sense to keep the Transat name alive - even if it is just for the french speaking market.

I would also pretend that Transat has more competency in organising tour packages than Air Canada Vacation. I even suspect ACV will be amalgated into Transat.

However I agree Air Canada excels by far in its capacity to obtain services/spare parts etc at way cheaper prices/better conditions. It has a superior flight operation management team (and way more flexibility due to the bigger fleet). It also manages its flights pricings way more efficiently and swiftly. (Thus can extract better revenues).

So there is more in this acquisition than just eliminating a competitor.
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:35 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:


true and who knows what will happen to the first fliers of air transat since they may have to use south terminal... Air Canada is purhcasing air transat but i dont think that is until may 2020.. so not sure how people will be processed until then and if the name air transat will stikc around or be changed to air canada


Well CrankyFlier opines that TS will remain in name due to Quebecois political considerations.

https://crankyflier.com/2019/07/02/air- ... to-quebec/

But this next article bears watching, as TS has an agreement with Thomas Cook for seven aircraft to use over the winter. That is now void. Hopefully TS can still get the metal to serve MSY

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/09/23 ... -dies/amp/

One last thing - why would TS have to use the ST? The NT has software now to let any airline use any counter and gate if necessary.


TS has their first flight on 11/3. If the new terminal is not open by that date, they will have to fly out of the current terminal for at least one day of service. That's what the OP was referring to.


Got it. My mind was on autopilot thinking about a split op rather than opening date.

I did pick up a tidbit about ex-WOW planes being repainted in Ireland and joining the NK fleet. They're growing in leaps and bounds.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Almost forgot all about wow air... thats a few good planes...
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:02 pm

SNN707 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

It was as of four days ago.

Then again, there’s no sign for Air Transat, so it probably doesn’t mean much.



true and who knows what will happen to the first fliers of air transat since they may have to use south terminal... Air Canada is purhcasing air transat but i dont think that is until may 2020.. so not sure how people will be processed until then and if the name air transat will stikc around or be changed to air canada


Well CrankyFlier opines that TS will remain in name due to Quebecois political considerations.

https://crankyflier.com/2019/07/02/air- ... to-quebec/

But this next article bears watching, as TS has an agreement with Thomas Cook for seven aircraft to use over the winter. That is now void. Hopefully TS can still get the metal to serve MSY

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/09/23 ... -dies/amp/

One last thing - why would TS have to use the ST? The NT has software now to let any airline use any counter and gate if necessary.



The extension of the booking dates to august would seem to indicate to me air transat has this situation addressed.. may even be the reason why they extended the dates further ... might be necessary with whatever new agreements they signed...

If air transat does indeed have a to fly out of south terminal a few days thoughts on what concourse ? Im just hoping that delays in opening new terminal dont lead to air transat canceling flights until north terminal is open
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:27 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:


true and who knows what will happen to the first fliers of air transat since they may have to use south terminal... Air Canada is purhcasing air transat but i dont think that is until may 2020.. so not sure how people will be processed until then and if the name air transat will stikc around or be changed to air canada


Well CrankyFlier opines that TS will remain in name due to Quebecois political considerations.

https://crankyflier.com/2019/07/02/air- ... to-quebec/

But this next article bears watching, as TS has an agreement with Thomas Cook for seven aircraft to use over the winter. That is now void. Hopefully TS can still get the metal to serve MSY

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/09/23 ... -dies/amp/

One last thing - why would TS have to use the ST? The NT has software now to let any airline use any counter and gate if necessary.



The extension of the booking dates to august would seem to indicate to me air transat has this situation addressed.. may even be the reason why they extended the dates further ... might be necessary with whatever new agreements they signed...

If air transat does indeed have a to fly out of south terminal a few days thoughts on what concourse ? Im just hoping that delays in opening new terminal dont lead to air transat canceling flights until north terminal is open


They won't cancel flights because of where the plane is parking to offload and load passengers. Since YUL is pre-clearance, they can park at any gate in the current terminal.
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:47 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
SNN707 wrote:

Well CrankyFlier opines that TS will remain in name due to Quebecois political considerations.

https://crankyflier.com/2019/07/02/air- ... to-quebec/

But this next article bears watching, as TS has an agreement with Thomas Cook for seven aircraft to use over the winter. That is now void. Hopefully TS can still get the metal to serve MSY

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/09/23 ... -dies/amp/

One last thing - why would TS have to use the ST? The NT has software now to let any airline use any counter and gate if necessary.



The extension of the booking dates to august would seem to indicate to me air transat has this situation addressed.. may even be the reason why they extended the dates further ... might be necessary with whatever new agreements they signed...

If air transat does indeed have a to fly out of south terminal a few days thoughts on what concourse ? Im just hoping that delays in opening new terminal dont lead to air transat canceling flights until north terminal is open


They won't cancel flights because of where the plane is parking to offload and load passengers. Since YUL is pre-clearance, they can park at any gate in the current terminal.


Correct, that being said, TS will most likely use a common use gate at the ST and NT until the AC merger is finalized.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:05 pm

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:


The extension of the booking dates to august would seem to indicate to me air transat has this situation addressed.. may even be the reason why they extended the dates further ... might be necessary with whatever new agreements they signed...

If air transat does indeed have a to fly out of south terminal a few days thoughts on what concourse ? Im just hoping that delays in opening new terminal dont lead to air transat canceling flights until north terminal is open


They won't cancel flights because of where the plane is parking to offload and load passengers. Since YUL is pre-clearance, they can park at any gate in the current terminal.


Correct, that being said, TS will most likely use a common use gate at the ST and NT until the AC merger is finalized.

makes sense.. just curious.. how are common use gates staffed?
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:01 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
Almost forgot all about wow air

...who, BTW, is set to resume service soon at IAD.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
wn676
Posts: 1697
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:03 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

They won't cancel flights because of where the plane is parking to offload and load passengers. Since YUL is pre-clearance, they can park at any gate in the current terminal.


Correct, that being said, TS will most likely use a common use gate at the ST and NT until the AC merger is finalized.

makes sense.. just curious.. how are common use gates staffed?


Each airline is responsible for their own staffing which is the model that common-use infrastructure is meant to accommodate.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:10 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
Almost forgot all about wow air

...who, BTW, is set to resume service soon at IAD.



wonder if it will ever happen though?


Sounds Sketch !

https://onemileatatime.com/wow-air-relaunch-delayed/
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:41 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
Almost forgot all about wow air

...who, BTW, is set to resume service soon at IAD.



wonder if it will ever happen though?


Sounds Sketch !

https://onemileatatime.com/wow-air-relaunch-delayed/


The WOW CEO is a kook. They will never fly again, and if so not for long.

The main contribution of WOWs demise was Icelandair now can get back to business, and the Spirit scooped up some of their planes, painted them and are ready to go into service. Probably those planes provided the lift NK needed to start all the new AUS routes.

Its what it is with AUS. Its the place "everyone" wants to be. Nevermind the airport is undersized for this growth rate for much longer.

In a way, MSY"s growth is more sustainable. We have a good deal going and we will grow at the proper levels. That being said, we do need to replace DE's market rather than lose it.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:25 pm

At the New Orleans Airport, a Taste of Leah Chase’s Food and Art


Image

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/dining/leahs-kitchen-new-orleans-airport.html?fbclid=IwAR2Oz1esrr2jL7dIWhoU0F0UJU-luqK6F7RaqiaZedbncCKFAeCkb6yAjF8

he food and art favored by Leah Chase, who was the nation’s pre-eminent Creole chef when she died in June at age 96, will live on in a restaurant that members of her family and an international hospitality group plan to open as soon as November inside the new billion-dollar terminal of Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.


no surprise here but first mention of november ive seen in a print outlet as a possible opening date... i think we all agreed last week october is off the table now
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Speaking of the Condor route.. noticed EuroWings is debuting this month or next april 6 new routes from frankfurt on routes that condor currently serves.. i dont see that begin sustainable for both airlines so my guess is condor will move planes off some of those routes too.

Eurowings[40] Las Vegas (begins 27 October 2019),[41] Windhoek-Hosea Kutako (begins 29 October 2019)[42]
Seasonal: Anchorage (begins 1 June 2020), Barbados (begins 28 October 2019, ends 24 April, 2020[43]), Mauritius (begins 25 October 2019), Phoenix–Sky Harbor (begins 29 April 2020)
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:37 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Speaking of the Condor route.. noticed EuroWings is debuting this month or next april 6 new routes from frankfurt on routes that condor currently serves.. i dont see that begin sustainable for both airlines so my guess is condor will move planes off some of those routes too.

Eurowings[40] Las Vegas (begins 27 October 2019),[41] Windhoek-Hosea Kutako (begins 29 October 2019)[42]
Seasonal: Anchorage (begins 1 June 2020), Barbados (begins 28 October 2019, ends 24 April, 2020[43]), Mauritius (begins 25 October 2019), Phoenix–Sky Harbor (begins 29 April 2020)


FWIW the mod who keeps up the DE Wikipedia page just updated it today. It still lists MSY as "seasonal" rather than "terminated". I would assume they keep up pretty well with what DE is doing. I would think the mod also thinks it may return before changing it to terminated (they really have not said theyre not coming back, but havent said they are either). So in addition to the DE MSY SignWatch, we have this as well.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:41 pm

I also saw a social media post from the owner of Fleurty Girl saying November. My thoughts are November 6th as a possible date.

It will be strange hanging out at the Condor Air Festival Hall at Oktoberfest this Saturday if they decide not to return. This was the time of year that we heard of returning service in the past, so hopefully we'll see a press release soon.
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:46 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
I also saw a social media post from the owner of Fleurty Girl saying November. My thoughts are November 6th as a possible date.

It will be strange hanging out at the Condor Air Festival Hall at Oktoberfest this Saturday if they decide not to return. This was the time of year that we heard of returning service in the past, so hopefully we'll see a press release soon.


Although they probably won't have a clue at the Oktoberfest, ask some questions about this and see what they say. Its a strange situation. Kind of like raffling off tickets on WOW.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:15 am

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
I also saw a social media post from the owner of Fleurty Girl saying November. My thoughts are November 6th as a possible date.

It will be strange hanging out at the Condor Air Festival Hall at Oktoberfest this Saturday if they decide not to return. This was the time of year that we heard of returning service in the past, so hopefully we'll see a press release soon.


Although they probably won't have a clue at the Oktoberfest, ask some questions about this and see what they say. Its a strange situation. Kind of like raffling off tickets on WOW.


I will definitely inquire. Going to see if they have a raffle for flights like CM had at Gretna Fest too.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:03 am

SNN707 wrote:
Its what it is with AUS. Its the place "everyone" wants to be.

It's not surprising that a place with a boom in both tech and industrial jobs + relatively low cost of living, would experience a surge in (corporate and personal) relocation.


SNN707 wrote:
In a way, MSY"s growth is more sustainable.

Based on what?


SNN707 wrote:
We will grow at the proper levels.

Define "proper levels"....


SNN707 wrote:
FWIW the mod who keeps up the DE Wikipedia page just updated it today. It still lists MSY as "seasonal" rather than "terminated". I would assume they keep up pretty well with what DE is doing

Of any source, that's likely to be your least timely and reliable.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:49 am

LAX772LR wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
Its what it is with AUS. Its the place "everyone" wants to be.

It's not surprising that a place with a boom in both tech and industrial jobs + relatively low cost of living, would experience a surge in (corporate and personal) relocation.


SNN707 wrote:
In a way, MSY"s growth is more sustainable.

Based on what?


SNN707 wrote:
We will grow at the proper levels.

Define "proper levels"....


SNN707 wrote:
FWIW the mod who keeps up the DE Wikipedia page just updated it today. It still lists MSY as "seasonal" rather than "terminated". I would assume they keep up pretty well with what DE is doing

Of any source, that's likely to be your least timely and reliable.


What I mean is NOLAs growth will be slower and air service will ramp up as that gradual growth occurs. Austin is experiencing superhot growth and airlines are just throwing capacity there as fast as they can, maybe even ahead of growth. I really don't think Austin's growth, while hot, is not as hot as their TATL growth since it started. I dont think Austins population has grown quite as rapidly as the # of TATL seats since they started flights. Its all about proactive positioning for the future in AUS - being the airline of choice then. For MSY, growth seems to be reactionary. Because NOLA usually gets service after strong demand is already is established, I think it ends up being sustainable. AUS may be sustainable as well, but it cant last forever at that pace with the airport capacity they have.

As for Wikipedia, in many things it is great info, sometimes garbage. In this case, the Condor site seems decent. It serves a service in that if a person with no knowledge wants to know about DE in a short time, it does the job. I'm just saying the mod may or may not have good info per MSY. Because everyone on here (incl me) and other related sites have just as much info on DE, which is nothing right now.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am

SNN707 wrote:
What I mean is NOLAs growth will be slower and air service will ramp up as that gradual growth occurs. Austin is experiencing superhot growth and airlines are just throwing capacity there as fast as they can, maybe even ahead of growth. I really don't think Austin's growth, while hot, is not as hot as their TATL growth since it started. I dont think Austins population has grown quite as rapidly as the # of TATL seats since they started flights. Its all about proactive positioning for the future in AUS - being the airline of choice then. For MSY, growth seems to be reactionary. Because NOLA usually gets service after strong demand is already is established, I think it ends up being sustainable.

And yet, none of this is quantitative data to support your earlier claims one way or another.....

AUS is experiencing a growth pattern similar to SAN's over the last half-decade, but with a proportionally larger percentage of high-end jobs to populace, and a far more expandable/adjustable airfield. While economic forecasts may be bearish, it isn't unreasonable to see their currently level of growth continue for quite some time yet.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:05 pm

I personally find wikipedias airlines page to be very useful... sure we will know anything at the same time as the editor of that page... that said does anyone see condor terminating routes that eurowings is adding?

btw the airport facebook page posted something about air transat and their flights starting.. im going to message them about where should i expect to fly out of on november 3rd... might get some information out of them that way.. update posted a question about it and will see if i can get any kind of clarity





Today, Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) held the groundbreaking ceremony for the I-10/Loyola Drive Interchange Project. The new interchange will improve regional traffic flow and will provide direct access between I-10 and #TheNewMSY airport terminal. This project is vitally important to support the future growth of the city of Kenner and the region

Image
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 pm

FWIW I’ve been hearing that November 6 date being thrown around as well. I’ll believe it when I see it, but everything is basically done in there. It will open without the Vino
Volo or The Club MSY being open, but all the other vendors should be ready to go.
Spread hope like fire.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:05 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
FWIW I’ve been hearing that November 6 date being thrown around as well. I’ll believe it when I see it, but everything is basically done in there. It will open without the Vino
Volo or The Club MSY being open, but all the other vendors should be ready to go.

i mean that date makes sense to me as a latest one because i dont see them opening right before thanksgiving ... that is tough because there will be inevitable kinks to work out no matter how much one plans.. anyone have an idea on whats a typical notice for a new airport opening date? i would think a min of two weeks notice would need to go out to the general public
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:32 pm

WWL news also stated that the airport is no longer considered a construction project as a certificate of occupancy was granted.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/loca ... 3c36363333
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:40 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
WWL news also stated that the airport is no longer considered a construction project as a certificate of occupancy was granted.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/loca ... 3c36363333



well that seems promising
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Well, DE just announced an early cancellation of their 2X route to KUL (Kuala Lumpur). This was served on DE metal 767 in the summer and a partner airline flew an A330 for them in winter.

Here's another available 2x aircraft to put on the FRA-MSY route - if they choose to. The clock is ticking for summer bookings - we're already 11 months out from the S20 LAST potential flight of the season. But, a plane is available.

Update: then again, maybe not. Seems that PIT was supposed to go from a DE 767 to a TC A330 for S20. That's not happening now, so maybe PIT gets the KUL 767. Oh, well.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... ght=Condor
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:39 am

Here is how our TATL routes compared to all other TATL routes from peer FAA defined medium hub airports in April and year to date.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pUim6zLou2yi0OrZXam_VbjP4piD9X6G1bGOSez4ODs/edit?usp=sharing

April-
MSY-LHR ranked 10th out of 18 routes in pax count falling between BA's BNA-LHR and DI's AUS-LGW routes.
MSY-LHR ranked 3rd out of 18 routes for load factor falling between DI's AUS-LGW and DY's OAK-CDG routes.

YTD-
MSY-LHR ranked 6th out of 21 routes in pax count falling between DL's CVG-CDG and DY's OAK-CDG routes.
MSY-LHR ranked 5th out of 21 routes for load factor falling between DY's OAK-FCO and OAK-CDG routes.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Also, MSY-LHR ranked 2nd out of the 12 routes flown all 4 months for load factor falling between DY's OAK-BCN and OAK-CDG routes.
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:16 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Also, MSY-LHR ranked 2nd out of the 12 routes flown all 4 months for load factor falling between DY's OAK-BCN and OAK-CDG routes.


BA is just cashing in at MSY on yield. I just put a random query in for a week to week in April.

BA $1254
DL $1085

Sure theres a nonstop premium but if you are taking a family of 4, going DL will save you some coin.

If BA were to be price competitive they get that family of 4 but given the current high LF, the extra demand would require upgauging. Obviously this of no interest to BA, they seem to be quite happy with their yields at MSY.

Strong showings like this have resulted in capacity and/or upgauges in other markets, in some cases rather quickly. Obviously those 2 extra slots at LHR have more value elsewhere.

The only other thing I can think of is the 788 maybe has a lower cargo lift % than a 777 or 789. Maybe those other markets need more cargo capacity?
 
ldvaviation
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:05 pm

MSYlurker wrote:
There will not be ceiling tiles over TSA or the two concession areas, this is confirmed. This is beyond embarrassing, to spend 1 Billion dollars on a new terminal and value engineer the ceiling so it looks like a Costco.

CMAR projects always under deliver on with design because the construction manager controls the project instead of the design team, making poor choices like this one more likely.



The finished building hardly resembles the original design.

It was supposed to look like this:
https://pcparch.com/project/louis-armst ... l-airport/

Why hire a name architect if you are just going to butcher the design?
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:45 am

DE must be coming back next year. Bought a raffle ticket for a roundtrip flight for two next Summer. Drawing is next Saturday.
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:16 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
DE must be coming back next year. Bought a raffle ticket for a roundtrip flight for two next Summer. Drawing is next Saturday.


Someone must know something (the Honorary Consul does has an office there). I saw the ticket raffle too. That was the best news of the night. May have to buy a ticket as well next weekend. Still, why not announce? I'm guessing there may be a DE rep at the raffle draw doing just that.

On another note, today/tonights crowd was huge - stayed full despite ppl coming and going all day. There seems to be a lot of interest in Germany, if not DE, then EW/LH come on down.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:36 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
The finished building hardly resembles the original design.

It was supposed to look like this:
https://pcparch.com/project/louis-armst ... l-airport/

Why hire a name architect if you are just going to butcher the design?

Not really sure what you're going on about, but the originally advertised design actually looked like this:

Image

That said:

  1. International traffic absolutely skyrocketed from the initial time of design (BA, DE, CM, TS, DL, UA, and WN have all begun/announced international nonstops from MSY since the terminal project was initiated), making the original proposal of only 2 FIS gates woefully inadequate; so they created an entire international concourse to the west of the structure, in order to meet that demand
  2. No agreement was reached on a hotel operator, so the proposed hotel tower attached to the terminal was cancelled
  3. parking became severely limited, so the hotel area was repurposed for a larger-than-proposed parking garage
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:57 pm

saw new ads on interstate billboards for the future Park MSY Express.. i didnt realize all the services they were going to offer... these are good to see and will def make that an appealing offer


Image

https://www.parkmsyexpress.com/
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:26 pm

SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
DE must be coming back next year. Bought a raffle ticket for a roundtrip flight for two next Summer. Drawing is next Saturday.


Someone must know something (the Honorary Consul does has an office there). I saw the ticket raffle too. That was the best news of the night. May have to buy a ticket as well next weekend. Still, why not announce? I'm guessing there may be a DE rep at the raffle draw doing just that.

On another note, today/tonights crowd was huge - stayed full despite ppl coming and going all day. There seems to be a lot of interest in Germany, if not DE, then EW/LH come on down.


Condor's loan package was approved by the EU today. If this was a sticking point for DE to resume service to MSY in S20, it isn't anymore
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:31 am

BA (British Airways) April Stats
Airport.......Seats......Pax......Load Factor
BWI..........12856.....11450.......89.06%
SFO..........43746.....38226......87.38%
MIA...........64412.....56107......87.11%
IAD...........29641.....25596.......86.35%
LAX..........46603.....40161.......86.18%
JFK........146644....126102......85.99%
LAS..........31830.....27371.......85.99%
EWR.........28339....24030.......84.79%
MSY...........8988......7607........84.64%
PHX..........20096....16743.......83.32%
SJC..........12096......9927.......82.07%
DEN.........19209.....15607.......81.25%
AUS.........20198.....16234.......80.37%
SAN..........17664....14165.......80.19%
SEA..........30184.....23972......79.42%
MCO.........34504.....26657......77.26%
ATL.......... 13539.....10353......76.47%
DFW.........13024......9889.......75.93%
FLL............7636......5796........75.90%
TPA..........18500.....14003.......75.69%
PHL..........22710.....17087.......75.24%
ORD.........44640.....33422.......74.87%
BOS.........64539.....47083.......72.95%
BNA.........10792......7664........71.02%
IAH...........28386.....19254.......67.83%
CHS...........3424.......2305.......67.32%
PIT.............7062.......4689.......66.40%

Another excellent month with very solid load factors for the route.

CM data is corrupted and inaccurate this month.
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:35 pm

SNN707 wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
DE must be coming back next year. Bought a raffle ticket for a roundtrip flight for two next Summer. Drawing is next Saturday.


Someone must know something (the Honorary Consul does has an office there). I saw the ticket raffle too. That was the best news of the night. May have to buy a ticket as well next weekend. Still, why not announce? I'm guessing there may be a DE rep at the raffle draw doing just that.

On another note, today/tonights crowd was huge - stayed full despite ppl coming and going all day. There seems to be a lot of interest in Germany, if not DE, then EW/LH come on down.


Condor's loan package was approved by the EU today. If this was a sticking point for DE to resume service to MSY in S20, it isn't anymore


Hate to bump over NOLAMD's always excellent data about BA at MSY (as usual, SMH) but there was some news about MSY on Condor's FB site yesterday. A poster asked if DE was flying to MSY and the DE rep said no. The poster then asked again specifically about seasonal service in S20. Then the rep said "no flights planned yet" and to check the schedule.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3555791186

Its not like the rep is a route planner or similar with real knowledge. Just a SM expert who probably looks in the timetable and sees what they see. But it is from the horse's mouth.

I did read yesterday that DE has been cancelling quite a few NA longhaul flights due to various reasons. Also Tunisia is threatening to impound DE aircraft per TC liabilities (LH and TUI are picking up those DE pax). Maybe MSY is not high on the list of fires to put out right now. But it was a successful route the kind DE will need for long term success.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:06 pm

its still a very weird situation to be raffling tickets away and stuff on flights you havent announced yet but in some ways Id be happier with Eurowings came in instead for longer term stability
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Maybe DE and NK are waiting to make announcements once the new terminal opens?
Spread hope like fire.
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:51 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
Maybe DE and NK are waiting to make announcements once the new terminal opens?



its possible for sure and i have a feeling the hard rock situation may have cause people to delay press announcements for a couple of projects this week too.. get lost in the news cycle plus seems a little insensitive to the officials preoccupied with that event
 
SNN707
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:03 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
Maybe DE and NK are waiting to make announcements once the new terminal opens?



its possible for sure and i have a feeling the hard rock situation may have cause people to delay press announcements for a couple of projects this week too.. get lost in the news cycle plus seems a little insensitive to the officials preoccupied with that event


All quite possible. But DE is 11 months out from selling its LAST ticket of S20 right now. Ppl are booking TATL trips now for a year out. DE is shrinking its potential market out of MSY with every passing day if they dont announce.

That said the fact that MCI just lost FI and most likely will make a run at DE, and PIT doesnt have a physical plane to fly it's route (it was a TC A330) - and there is always BNA - could mean MSY may be the odd guy out here. And maybe not. DE is announcing nothing officially for the above either, which also hurts those markets ss well.

All I know is between DE and BA I've scratched off darn near my entire head.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:21 am

Well, it's illegal to raffle off a prize that isn't actually available, so I expect to see something announced this week.

DE has likely been waiting on the EU approval of the loan before finalizing any schedules for next Summer. Now that they have that loan in place, they can start finalizing route decisions for next year.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos