NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:58 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:
He sees opportunities to improve collaboration with the port, particularly to benefit fly-in cruise passengers and southside redevelopment.

Been screaming THAT for years... would be great to finally see it happen, especially for int'l flights.


msycajun wrote:
Strong support for rail service to Baton Rouge with a stop at the airport and eastward along the gulf coast, noting that it would boost passenger draw geographically.

Would love to see it, but not holding my breath. Legacy of Jindal still lives on, in the area's general aversion to that. :(


NolaMD88fan wrote:
I know NK is going to 4 gates in C

How many average daily departures (current+planned) are they up to now?


Around 20 on average. It varies day by day since some of the destinations are only 3-4x weekly.
 
msycajun
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:12 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:
He sees opportunities to improve collaboration with the port, particularly to benefit fly-in cruise passengers and southside redevelopment.

Been screaming THAT for years... would be great to finally see it happen, especially for int'l flights.


msycajun wrote:
Strong support for rail service to Baton Rouge with a stop at the airport and eastward along the gulf coast, noting that it would boost passenger draw geographically.

Would love to see it, but not holding my breath. Legacy of Jindal still lives on, in the area's general aversion to that. :(


NolaMD88fan wrote:
I know NK is going to 4 gates in C

How many average daily departures (current+planned) are they up to now?


Around 20 on average. It varies day by day since some of the destinations are only 3-4x weekly.


However in the current winter schedule, DFW and PHL/CMH are seasonally suspended. It's hard to justify 4 gates with 20 or fewer flights. Makes me wonder if we are going to see some additional announcements or if they won't be taking 4 gates after all.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:22 pm

There won’t be rail between NO and BTR unless the STATE coughs up $80+ million to at least build a new trestle over the spillway...and from what I hear, KCS won’t allow passenger trains on its mainline at all, so an entirely new track might have to be built, and that would never happen in Louisiana. Truthfully, there’s a better chance of EK starting MSY in 5 years time than seeing passenger rail between those two cities again. Look at the hurdles we had to cross just to get the I-10 ramps to MSY to be funded.

Louisiana HAS put up money for the resumption of Gulf Coast service, but the difference is, Amtrak wants that to happen and the CSX mainline is in much better shape and is essentially ready to handle passenger trains today, unlike the non-signaled KCS main which hasn’t seen a passenger train since the 60s.
Spread hope like fire.
 
msycajun
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:42 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
There won’t be rail between NO and BTR unless the STATE coughs up $80+ million to at least build a new trestle over the spillway...and from what I hear, KCS won’t allow passenger trains on its mainline at all, so an entirely new track might have to be built, and that would never happen in Louisiana. Truthfully, there’s a better chance of EK starting MSY in 5 years time than seeing passenger rail between those two cities again. Look at the hurdles we had to cross just to get the I-10 ramps to MSY to be funded.

Louisiana HAS put up money for the resumption of Gulf Coast service, but the difference is, Amtrak wants that to happen and the CSX mainline is in much better shape and is essentially ready to handle passenger trains today, unlike the non-signaled KCS main which hasn’t seen a passenger train since the 60s.


You're right about the expense. I think the key there is federal funding. We'd probably have it operating now or close to it if the previous governor accepted federal money when it was available. The thing is, that corridor is growing fast with all of the new industrial projects and any expansion of the interstate between BR/NO is probably decades and several billions away. As far as KCS is concerned, you'd think they'd be happy to have someone pay to upgrade their line in exchange for some passenger service.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:34 pm

KCS only runs 4 trains a day over the line. A round-trip NO-BTR and a round-trip NO-SHV. Plus there’s a weekly intermodal to/from Dallas. Point is, I just don’t think they want to be bothered. That’s the impression I got from comments I’ve read from spokespeople. But that attitude isn’t uncommon around the country, unfortunately.
Spread hope like fire.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:34 pm

DL is back to all 757/321 service on MSY-ATL in September.

7X 757
4X 321

Also the 3X AA 321s that start in May on MSY-DFW have been extended through early July with the latest schedule update.
Spread hope like fire.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:06 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
DL is back to all 757/321 service on MSY-ATL in September.

7X 757
4X 321

Also the 3X AA 321s that start in May on MSY-DFW have been extended through early July with the latest schedule update.


Are the MD-80s no longer on the DFW route with the schedule update?

Also nice to see DL putting some substantial capacity on the ATL route during the slow season.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:43 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
DL is back to all 757/321 service on MSY-ATL in September.

7X 757
4X 321

Also the 3X AA 321s that start in May on MSY-DFW have been extended through early July with the latest schedule update.


Are the MD-80s no longer on the DFW route with the schedule update?

Also nice to see DL putting some substantial capacity on the ATL route during the slow season.


Still 3X S80 from May-July at least. The other three are 738.
Spread hope like fire.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12400
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:45 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
substantial capacity on the ATL route during the slow season.

Can you imagine what things would look like, if/when there's a time where even September is a 1million+ month? :hearts:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:50 pm

Latest rumor is that MSY-LHR might stay 5X weekly but in the process get upgauged to a 3-class 77E. So who the heck knows.
Spread hope like fire.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12400
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:15 am

SunsetLimited wrote:
Latest rumor is that MSY-LHR might stay 5X weekly but in the process get upgauged to a 3-class 77E.

Wouldn't be all that surprising if so:
If they go with the current 3class 77E configuration, then it's only 5 more J seats and 65 more Y, with one less W seat.

Not unreasonable for a market with a heavy tourism component, and still lets them address the business market as they currently do.

If however they go with the new (LGW, but not necessarily restricted thereto) 3class 77E configuration, then it's 3 less J seats, but an increase of 27 W seats and 98 Y seats. :eek:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:55 am

Would prefer the daily service initially and then the upguage, but no say in that matter.
 
Nola
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:35 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
https://twitter.com/FrenchSTATnola/status/1111073505334964224

An interesting tweet that may further indicate how ongoing discussions between AF and the regional chamber of commerce are proceeding. It kind of makes sense in that SkyTeam doesn't want to lose too much market share to BA and OneWorld, but the numbers aren't high enough yet to take action. Also hate when people use the word direct and non-stop interchangeably.


A nonstop to CDG would really help SkyTeam keep up with the additional One World capacity to Nola, and give BA some price competition for seats between MSY and Europe. I'd still guess it would be handled with a DL 767 (and the its not great seats) but that would still be an improvement for the market and probably increase French tourism to New Orleans and Acadiana.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12400
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:12 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Would prefer the daily service initially and then the upguage, but no say in that matter.

Sorta figured they'd at least go 6xWk though, as DE has consistently proven that people do want to fly out/into Europe on Sundays (and DE aircraft are even higher capacity than BA's).... though guess the yield just isn't there to interest them, if upgauging-first is the route that they go.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
msyflyer
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:42 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
Latest rumor is that MSY-LHR might stay 5X weekly but in the process get upgauged to a 3-class 77E. So who the heck knows.


So this doesn't surprise me at all. It's alot easier to fill a few extra seats instead of adding a whole new day and filling those. I personally like the 788/789, so I would be very sad to see that go, but a 777 would be huge for MSY.
 
donindc
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:36 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Sorta figured they'd at least go 6xWk though, as DE has consistently proven that people do want to fly out/into Europe on Sundays (and DE aircraft are even higher capacity than BA's).... though guess the yield just isn't there to interest them, if upgauging-first is the route that they go.


Totally agree. BA is missing out on one of the busiest travel days of the week at MSY and they'd generate additional traffic if they operated on Sundays. I'd bet most people who want/need to travel on Sundays are opting for a connection rather than waiting around a day for the nonstop.
 
mutu
Posts: 486
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:04 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:40 pm

donindc wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Sorta figured they'd at least go 6xWk though, as DE has consistently proven that people do want to fly out/into Europe on Sundays (and DE aircraft are even yhigher capacity than BA's).... though guess the yield just isn't there to interest them, if upgauging-first is the route that they go.


Totally agree. BA is missing out on one of the busiest travel days of the week at MSY and they'd generate additional traffic if they operated on Sundays. I'd bet most people who want/need to travel on Sundays are opting for a connection rather than waiting around a day for the nonstop.


I imagine BA are fully aware of this and if it were the case would have swapped days around subject to slots of course
 
QB504
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Looks like Sun Country trying PVD again.
 
bretonrlong
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:39 pm

Thought i would see if anyone had any further details on airline gate assignments for the new terminal yet. Below were some of my assumptions.

It sounds like Delta and Spirit will be utilizing Concourse C. Thought i saw someone mention on here at one point or another United potentially using C as well.

Concourse A: 6 Gates **Condor, Copa Airlines, British Airways, Vacation Express**
Concourse B: 14 Gates **American, Frontier, Alaska, JetBlue, Allegiant, Southwest, Sun Country**
Concourse C: 15 Gates **Delta, United, Air Canada & Spirit**


Best as i can tell these are some of the old gate assignments.
Old Terminal (Current) Gate Assignments
Southwest Airlines (8 Gates)
B2 - Southwest
B4 - Southwest
B5 - Southwest
B7 - Southwest
B8 - Southwest
B9 - Southwest
B10
B11
B12
B15A - Southwest
B15B - Southwest

Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, American Airlines, British Airways, Condor, Copa Airlines, Delta Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Jetblue Airways, Spirit Airlines & Vacation Express
C1 – American / Spirit / Copa / Allegiant
C2 - Spirit
C3 – Delta / Allegiant
C4 – Spirit
C5 - Jetblue
C6 - Alaska
C7 – American / Frontier / Spirit
C8 - American
C9 - American / Alaska
C10 - American
C11 – American / British Airways
C12 - American
C14
C15 - American
C16 - American

Delta Air Lines (7 gates), Air Canada & United Airlines (5 gates)

D1 - United
D2 – Delta / Sun Country
D3 - United
D4 - Delta
D5 - United
D6 - Delta
D7 – United / Air Canada
D8 - Delta
D9 - United
D10 - Delta
D11 - United
D12 – Delta
 
msycajun
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:46 pm

bretonrlong wrote:
Thought i would see if anyone had any further details on airline gate assignments for the new terminal yet. Below were some of my assumptions.

It sounds like Delta and Spirit will be utilizing Concourse C. Thought i saw someone mention on here at one point or another United potentially using C as well.

Concourse A: 6 Gates **Condor, Copa Airlines, British Airways, Vacation Express**
Concourse B: 14 Gates **American, Frontier, Alaska, JetBlue, Allegiant, Southwest, Sun Country**
Concourse C: 15 Gates **Delta, United, Air Canada & Spirit**


UA will definitely be on C - that's where their lounge is.

An older plan had:
C: DL, UA/AC, NK, B6
B: WN, AA, AS
C: Everyone else

I assume that is still pretty close to the current plan, although word has been that NK may be taking more gates, so B6 might be moved to A or B.
 
Kyoya
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:52 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:57 am

It seems like I remember someone saying there were concerns about Concourse A only being able to handle 2 wide-bodies at a time because of the gate spacing.

According to the plans, A should be able to handle 3 747-400s at once.

Image

Image
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 am

Thanks for sharing these diagrams. Good to know that A can handle 3 widebodies at a time with no problem.

AFAIK, NK is taking 4 gates on C, so that would absolutely push B6 over to concourse A or B. I would expect to see further growth from NK based on this.

We'll have to wait and see how all of the BA rumors pan out when the winter schedule is finalized in the next couple of months.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:47 am

DL’s weekly seasonal CUN apparently resumes in December. They might just run it December - April like they did this year. I thought it was a goner, to be honest.
Spread hope like fire.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:18 am

SunsetLimited wrote:
DL’s weekly seasonal CUN apparently resumes in December. They might just run it December - April like they did this year. I thought it was a goner, to be honest.


Good to see. Also wasn't expecting it back.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12400
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:06 am

msyflyer wrote:
a 777 would be huge for MSY.

Literally! :spin:


bretonrlong wrote:
C1 – American / Spirit / Copa / Allegiant
C2 - Spirit
C3 – Delta / Allegiant
C4 – Spirit
C5 - Jetblue
C6 - Alaska
C7 – American / Frontier / Spirit
C8 - American
C9 - American / Alaska
C10 - American
C11 – American / British Airways
C12 - American
C14
C15 - American
C16 - American

Condor also uses C11 on Sundays, and C1 on the days when they and BA arrive concurrently.


Kyoya wrote:
It seems like I remember someone saying there were concerns about Concourse A only being able to handle 2 wide-bodies at a time because of the gate spacing.

Wasn't that. Before A was officially commissioned, FIS would've been the first two westward-facing gates on B, where it appeared that a widebody on one would've had the effect of blocking the other.

With A in its current state, those such (unsubstantiated, seeing as the gate spacing size was never officially released) concerns are long-since moot.



NolaMD88fan wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
DL’s weekly seasonal CUN apparently resumes in December. . . . I thought it was a goner, to be honest.

Good to see. Also wasn't expecting it back.

Me three on that one. Thrilled to see it back.

Be even more thrilled if DL **finally** goes on an expansion at MSY, to reclaim/retain its decades-long status as by far the largest most comprehensive global carrier there.

I really do wonder if AA/BA's growth has gotten DL's attention in all of this.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12400
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:30 am

Kyoya wrote:
Image

So if I'm reading this correctly:
A1 and A4 won't have jetbridges attached...

...and A3 will actually be a dual gate that can swing between two narrowbodies, or dual-tandem on a widebody?

Is this document (still) an accurate reflection of A as it will be today?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:54 am

I count 6 jetbridges. A2 and A3 can be used for dual boarding purposes based on the diagram. Looking forward to seeing BA and DE parked at A in the near future.

If GNOinc, NOCVB, and the airport do end up getting AF here in the next few years, all three gates could potentially be in use at the same time. That would be amazing.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12400
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:46 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
I count 6 jetbridges. A2 and A3 can be used for dual boarding purposes based on the diagram.

I'm not disputing that there's 6 jetbridges, that much is obvious... what I'm essentially asking, is if we'll see a sequential numbering, or would it be more like A2, A3a, A3b, A4, A5, A6?


NolaMD88fan wrote:
If GNOinc, NOCVB, and the airport do end up getting AF here in the next few years, all three gates could potentially be in use at the same time. That would be amazing.

Absolutely.

The sight of AF at DL gates in MSY.... always a fun thing to see. ;)

Image
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
Metrocard
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:11 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:46 am

So it looks as if a widebody at A1 will block the first gate on B. Also, is it possibly that the boarding doors for A2 and A3 are just really close to one another?
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Metrocard wrote:
So it looks as if a widebody at A1 will block the first gate on B. Also, is it possibly that the boarding doors for A2 and A3 are just really close to one another?


i thought with the addition of terminal A that one gate in b was removed?
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:14 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Metrocard wrote:
So it looks as if a widebody at A1 will block the first gate on B. Also, is it possibly that the boarding doors for A2 and A3 are just really close to one another?


i thought with the addition of terminal A that one gate in b was removed?


One gate was removed from B, but it looks like there will be still be issues with that B gate potentially being blocked with larger widebody aircraft parked at A1.

Also, according to the airport the gates will be labeled A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, and A6.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:41 pm

I suppose A1 would only be used as a last resort for a wide body. Would imagine the go-to gates for BA/DE would be the ones to the left. A6/5/4/3 etc.
Spread hope like fire.
 
Kyoya
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:52 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:20 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Kyoya wrote:
Image

So if I'm reading this correctly:
A1 and A4 won't have jetbridges attached...

...and A3 will actually be a dual gate that can swing between two narrowbodies, or dual-tandem on a widebody?

Is this document (still) an accurate reflection of A as it will be today?


Concourse A can handle 6 narrow-bodies. All 6 gates have PPBs. What you're seeing in the print A1, A2 and A3, A4, and A5. A6 is cropped out only to show in larger detail that A2 and A3 can be used together to load larger wide-body aircraft if needed.
 
Kyoya
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:52 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:31 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
I suppose A1 would only be used as a last resort for a wide body. Would imagine the go-to gates for BA/DE would be the ones to the left. A6/5/4/3 etc.

The level 2 sterile corridor only extends from A1-A5.

Image

Image
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:23 pm

So A6 isnt international capable and is just lagniappe for an airline like silver or sun country ?
 
N292UX
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Whatever happened to GLO Airlines? I know they shut down in late 2017-early 2018, but was it due to not filling up planes enough or other reasons?
I thought their route map out of MSY (MEM, HSV, LIT, SHV) seemed decent and I felt like BHM, JAN, JAX, MGM, CHA, and TYS may have also fit their route map at some point. I think a most of those cities would at least be able to fill a 30-seater. I'd say Silver could try it, but I think they're much better off focusing on Florida/The Bahamas right now.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 pm

N292UX wrote:
Whatever happened to GLO Airlines? I know they shut down in late 2017-early 2018, but was it due to not filling up planes enough or other reasons?
I thought their route map out of MSY (MEM, HSV, LIT, SHV) seemed decent and I felt like BHM, JAN, JAX, MGM, CHA, and TYS may have also fit their route map at some point. I think a most of those cities would at least be able to fill a 30-seater. I'd say Silver could try it, but I think they're much better off focusing on Florida/The Bahamas right now.


It was absolutely due to not filling up the planes with enough passengers. Load factors were typically in the 30-50% range. LIT was the best performing route. Flying 2x daily M-F was too much capacity even with a 30 seater on the route.
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
So A6 isnt international capable and is just lagniappe for an airline like silver or sun country ?


Correct. Wouldn't be shocked to G4, SY, or F9 end up at that gate.
 
msycajun
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:15 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
N292UX wrote:
Whatever happened to GLO Airlines? I know they shut down in late 2017-early 2018, but was it due to not filling up planes enough or other reasons?
I thought their route map out of MSY (MEM, HSV, LIT, SHV) seemed decent and I felt like BHM, JAN, JAX, MGM, CHA, and TYS may have also fit their route map at some point. I think a most of those cities would at least be able to fill a 30-seater. I'd say Silver could try it, but I think they're much better off focusing on Florida/The Bahamas right now.


It was absolutely due to not filling up the planes with enough passengers. Load factors were typically in the 30-50% range. LIT was the best performing route. Flying 2x daily M-F was too much capacity even with a 30 seater on the route.


Of course more seats filled would have helped, but it seemed like the more immediate cause of their demise was the operational and reliability issues (GLO essentially chartered the planes and didn't operate themselves). And reliability issues hurt bookings, much like what happened with ViaAir. Eventually the operator decided not to continue flying for GLO, after what I recall was a dispute over who would pay for things like maintenance and repairs.

Now GLO's problem in my opinion was that they took a long time to work out their distribution to third party sites (e.g. Kayak) and still weren't showing up on most online booking engines.

Silver on the other hand has a much more comprehensive booking system plus extensive codesharing and interline agreements. They'd surely do much better than GLO. The new ATRs are significantly faster and cheaper to operate as well.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12400
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:42 am

msycajun wrote:
Silver on the other hand has a much more comprehensive booking system plus extensive codesharing and interline agreements. They'd surely do much better than GLO. The new ATRs are significantly faster and cheaper to operate as well.

...now if only they'd start what they announce. :irked:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
DJSNOLA
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:53 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:
Silver on the other hand has a much more comprehensive booking system plus extensive codesharing and interline agreements. They'd surely do much better than GLO. The new ATRs are significantly faster and cheaper to operate as well.

...now if only they'd start what they announce. :irked:


Ive lost count of how many times Silver have said they would start flying outside of Florida too lol
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Call me a pessimist but I just don’t see Silver flying anything other than something like MSY-JAX or MSY-RSW - routes to larger cities/areas where they can build up the volume needed to support the ATRs. TPA would have been an ideal route before NK started it. Not sure they’d want to get into that market now.
Spread hope like fire.
 
User avatar
Metrocard
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:11 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
Metrocard wrote:
So it looks as if a widebody at A1 will block the first gate on B. Also, is it possibly that the boarding doors for A2 and A3 are just really close to one another?


i thought with the addition of terminal A that one gate in b was removed?


Possibly, but it’s clear on the plan sheet that the wingspan of anything larger than a B757 will spill over into the allocated parking space for the first westward factoring B gate.
 
User avatar
Metrocard
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:11 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:30 pm

So I have a question about ops that hopefully someone might be able to answer.

Being in the area recently, near the airport, I noticed that planes most planes were arriving and departing on 2. However, all of the WN flights seemed to depart from 29. Any reason for this? It first caught my attention because UA was lining up on 2 with DL, NK, and AA in tow, but 2 WN’s were bee lining for 29 and got out ahead of the others. Every subsequent WN departure left on 29, while the others remained on 2.
 
msycajun
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:53 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:
Silver on the other hand has a much more comprehensive booking system plus extensive codesharing and interline agreements. They'd surely do much better than GLO. The new ATRs are significantly faster and cheaper to operate as well.

...now if only they'd start what they announce. :irked:


Ive lost count of how many times Silver have said they would start flying outside of Florida too lol


Well HSV-MCO has been operating nearly a year now and they're about to start their second summer of BOS-BHB flights, so at least a few markets have been attempted. It doesn't surprise me that they weren't in a hurry to start the BKG flights.

SunsetLimited wrote:
Call me a pessimist but I just don’t see Silver flying anything other than something like MSY-JAX or MSY-RSW - routes to larger cities/areas where they can build up the volume needed to support the ATRs. TPA would have been an ideal route before NK started it. Not sure they’d want to get into that market now.


I agree JAX should be a priority. I think at least LIT could work. Perhaps we could also see HSV a few times a week since they are already in that market - that was also an old GLO route. I'd like to see TLH as well, but that would be dependent on connections. DAB and VPS could be interesting routes for them to attempt as well.

One of the reasons I think 3M would be good for MSY is that their codeshares with UA and B6 would help fill up flights during the summer and winter when some routes see reduced frequency and gauge. For example, neither UA nor B6 fly to DAB and TLH, so MSY would be a great way to connect them to both networks.
 
dc10co
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:41 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Just received confirmation that the opening of the terminal is now officially delayed until August 7th. Haven’t gotten an official reason yet but I can’t say that I’m surprised.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:58 pm

dc10co wrote:
Just received confirmation that the opening of the terminal is now officially delayed until August 7th. Haven’t gotten an official reason yet but I can’t say that I’m surprised.



Well that would be incredibly disappointing but par for the course for Louisiana.
Spread hope like fire.
 
donindc
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:06 pm

dc10co wrote:
Just received confirmation that the opening of the terminal is now officially delayed until August 7th. Haven’t gotten an official reason yet but I can’t say that I’m surprised.


Could it just be that it's simply not finished? The pictures that were released a few weeks ago were telling. While it looks nice, aside from some of the gate areas, not one area looked finished - dry wall, ceilings, concession build outs, etc., not to mention the access road. I just wonder how long they've known it wasn't going to open on May 15.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 pm

donindc wrote:
dc10co wrote:
Just received confirmation that the opening of the terminal is now officially delayed until August 7th. Haven’t gotten an official reason yet but I can’t say that I’m surprised.


Could it just be that it's simply not finished? The pictures that were released a few weeks ago were telling. While it looks nice, aside from some of the gate areas, not one area looked finished - dry wall, ceilings, concession build outs, etc., not to mention the access road. I just wonder how long they've known it wasn't going to open on May 15.


As of a week ago the update email sent out to all of the airport tenants still said a May 15th opening with training in the new building to start in about a week. If true, something has changed in a week.
Spread hope like fire.
 
Kyoya
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:52 am

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:44 pm

dc10co wrote:
Just received confirmation that the opening of the terminal is now officially delayed until August 7th. Haven’t gotten an official reason yet but I can’t say that I’m surprised.

It will be interesting to see what issue they claim is the reason. They could announce a delay because of soil instability. Uretek is supposed to do a test section of the arrivals lane. They will lift the sagging roadway slabs with expanding foam. This was just issued a couple of days ago.

For anyone interested in how this is done, check out this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGIohRT698s

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos