SunsetLimited

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:26 pm

The airport already moved two jetways off of C which is really making ops difficult for several airlines on that concourse. Plus they've removed one from D. I can't imagine they'd do that knowing it's not opening until August unless something major in the past week has came to light.
Spread hope like fire.

DJSNOLA

Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:32 am

dc10co wrote:
Just received confirmation that the opening of the terminal is now officially delayed until August 7th. Haven’t gotten an official reason yet but I can’t say that I’m surprised.

thats just ridiculous if true but not surprising i agree.. but the august date seems extreme unless something really serious

The website was updating the twitter feed every day last week and then stopped on April 4th which is kind of weird to see considering thats 6 days ago and the frequency was almost daily before that

https://www.thenewmsy.com/

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:24 am

SunsetLimited wrote:
The airport already moved two jetways off of C which is really making ops difficult for several airlines on that concourse. Plus they've removed one from D. I can't imagine they'd do that knowing it's not opening until August unless something major in the past week has came to light.

If this is true, I really feel bad for the airlines operating out of C. It could be a long Summer with limited gate availability. D will be tight, but I think it's more manageable over there.

I'm honestly shocked given we're only a month out from May 15th. Even the vendors had started hiring staff. Interior buildouts should be nearing completion with the 24/7 construction schedules in place, so I have no idea what could have sparked this change. Agreed that is must be something very serious (potentially life threatening to passengers or damaging to aircraft).

In the end, I'll wait for confirmation from more than one source. If those who work for other airlines confirms this, or someone who works directly for the airport confirms then I'll believe it. I wonder if this memo was meant to be about the United Club (rumors of that actually opening in August have abounded), and not the terminal move.
Last edited by NolaMD88fan on Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

msycajun

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:39 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

If this is true, I really feel bad for the airlines operating out of C. It could be a long Summer with limited gate availability. D will be tight, but I think it's more manageable over there.

I'm honestly shocked given we're only a month out from May 15th. Even the vendors had started hiring staff. Interior buildouts should be nearing completion with the 24/7 construction schedules in place, so I have no idea what could have sparked this change. Agreed that is must be something very serious (potentially life threatening to passengers or damaging to aircraft).

I wonder if there might be a partial move being planned. Maybe keep D open and move the other airlines over? The south side is well over capacity as it is, so having both open temporarily would solve most of the traffic and parking issues.

And if there is a major issue, we need to be asking why the construction manager isn't paying for it. From what I've heard, they must have made some mistakes dealing with the soil and foundation engineering. There have been monthly change orders adding millions to the bill.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:42 am

msycajun wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

I wonder if there might be a partial move being planned. Maybe keep D open and move the other airlines over? The south side is well over capacity as it is, so having both open temporarily would solve most of the traffic and parking issues.

And if there is a major issue, we need to be asking why the construction manager isn't paying for it. From what I've heard, they must have made some mistakes dealing with the soil and foundation engineering. There have been monthly change orders adding millions to the bill.

I edited my quote to say that I'm waiting for confirmation from either airport staff or someone who works for another airline. Wondering if this was meant to be for the United Club. That would not be shocking.

Kyoya

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:35 am

msycajun wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

To be fair, the majority of the change orders have been at the request of the client.

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:46 am

msycajun wrote:

Solve some, but create others... would be a nightmare educating customers as to which airline would depart where; especially for DL, who uses both D and C. :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:49 am

Chicago airports finally posted 2018 numbers, so here are the top 50 airports in the lower 48 states last year. (The reason for not including Hawaii is a lack of publicly available data produced in a timely fashion.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11denqMCwsaU6CdqV9RFST2dXsSLuo5gelC8uvDgUTRg/edit?usp=sharing

MSY was the 10th fastest growing and 37th busiest airport in the lower 48 states last year.

SJC was the fastest growing airport, and DCA and MDW were the only airports among the 50 busiest to see a decline in passengers.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:16 am

One other thing that makes literally no sense about any terminal delay is the all out media blitz that occurred literally a week ago in both the T-P and Advocate. Those articles screamed about a May 15th opening date and what was involved in moving operations over such as test runs involving the public, the job fair being held last Saturday, etc. If there were something serious enough to spark a delay of nearly 3 months, there is no way that media blitz would be allowed to happen. The airport would have known about an issue that serious well beforehand.

Remember, the sewer line issue was known to the airport over the Summer of last year and the delayed opening was voted on by the airport board in September or a good 6 months in advance. The airport board would have to approve any delay again in a public meeting. The next meeting is scheduled on April 18th. Until that vote is made, the official opening date is still May 15th.

With that said, the airport posted February numbers. http://www.flymsy.com/Files/Press/February2019.pdf

Unfortunately, there was a decline in passengers of 0.7% to 989,899. Year to date numbers are up 1.9% to 1,991,211. Still 38th busiest in the lower 48 and 39th busiest nationally, and also still positioned between RSW and OAK. Among the top 5 carriers at the airport, AA and WN saw growth while DL, UA, and NK all had declines in passenger numbers. CM had a rough month in terms of loads. One of the worst months I've seen on that route in a long time. Not sure what drove the decline in demand on the route this year.

Estimated international carrier load factor (February):

AC: 73.0% full outbound (MSY-YYZ) 2984 pax/4088 seats
79.8% full inbound (YYZ-MSY) 3262 pax/4088 seats
76.4% full combined 6246 pax/8176 seats

BA: 65.9% full outbound (MSY-LHR) 2820 pax/4280 seats
74.6% full inbound (LHR-MSY) 3194 pax/4280 seats
70.3% full combined 6014 pax/8560 seats

CM: 49.5% full outbound (MSY-PTY) 982 pax/1984 seats
52.7% full inbound (PTY-MSY) 1045 pax/1984 seats
51.1% full combined 2027 pax/3968 seats

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Well, my optimism failed me. The new terminal opening is officially delayed until the Fall with no firm opening date set. This is a major public relations snafu for the airport and the contractor given the media blitz, job fair, etc. that just happened last week.

http://www.flymsy.com/Files/Newsletter/ ... XlgNjpLoII

Nola

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:52 pm

View this email in your browser

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 11, 2019
Erin Burns
[email protected]
City, Aviation Board Reschedule Opening
of New Airport Terminal

NEW ORLEANS - Today, the City of New Orleans and the New Orleans Aviation Board announced that, after evaluating the status of all construction activities and consulting with key stakeholders, the new terminal at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) will now open to the public in fall 2019. The complex coordination of construction activities during the final phase of this major project has impacted the ability to provide the new, state-of-the-art airport facility to the Greater New Orleans region on the previously-scheduled date of May 15, 2019.

“This is a once in a lifetime investment that will benefit our city, region, state and all of our people. I accept the responsibility of making sure that when our new airport opens, it is at 100 percent readiness,” said Mayor LaToya Cantrell. “The fact is: it is not ready, and there is more work to be done to get us there. I fully support the additional time needed and look forward to opening our new, completely operational facility at its peak on Day One.”

With passenger safety and customer experience as a top priority, the adjusted schedule will provide more time for testing, training, and implementation of key systems to transition operations to the new terminal. It will also give local residents time to become accustomed to the new access routes.

“Throughout the construction process, the Board has received progress updates, and we believe that this decision is in the best interest of our partners and the community. We can easily continue to operate in our existing facility during this short period until the new terminal is ready for full activation. It’s a big and complicated project, so it’s important we take this time to ensure that all systems are fully functional,” said Doug Thornton, Chair of the New Orleans Aviation Board Construction Committee.

“This is one of the most significant infrastructure projects in this region’s history. We want to make sure that we get it right. The additional time is going to allow us to deliver a world-class airport and ensure a safe and seamless transition so that our passengers have the best possible experience,” said Kevin C. Dolliole, Director of Aviation.

The existing airport facility remains operational, and there will be no impact to flights to and from MSY as a result of this change. As Airport officials continue to evaluate the project construction schedule, a specific opening date will be confirmed in advance of the move so the general public and other stakeholders can make any necessary preparations.

Because a move of this magnitude impacts employees, tenants, suppliers, and the surrounding community, the Airport will also continue with its plans to conduct real-life passenger trials prior to facility opening. In the coming weeks, MSY will solicit volunteers of all ages and travel experience to participate in trials to be conducted before the opening of the terminal. Those interested in participating should visit http://www.thenewmsy.com to sign up to receive additional information.

Project Background

Announced in April 2013, the new terminal has been under construction on the north side of the airport property since January 2016 and is now nearly ninety-five percent complete. The project is creating thousands of new construction jobs and significant opportunities for local businesses and disadvantaged business enterprises (DBEs) in the region.

In total, the approximately 972,000 square-foot terminal will feature three concourses, 35 gates, two new garages and surface parking lot next to the terminal plus a remote economy garage with shuttle service. It will also feature modern passenger conveniences like a consolidated checkpoint where passengers will have access to over 40 different food, beverage, news, gift, and specialty retail concessions once they are beyond security.

# # #

Copyright © 2019 Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport - New Orleans Aviation Board, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you subscribed on our website.

Our mailing address is:
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport - New Orleans Aviation Board
900 Airline Drive
Kenner, LA 70062

braniff2hav

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:55 pm

... and so MSY joins the ranks of Istanbul, Berlin and Denver ...LOL
I walked through the existing building Sunday evening ... lights flickering, tiles missing and just a general more so than usual ineptness and unkept look ... I guess they better spruce up the old digs again for a while.

Not a big deal really in the grand scheme of things over time. So typical of Louisiana.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:08 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
... and so MSY joins the ranks of Istanbul, Berlin and Denver ...LOL
I walked through the existing building Sunday evening ... lights flickering, tiles missing and just a general more so than usual ineptness and unkept look ... I guess they better spruce up the old digs again for a while.

Not a big deal really in the grand scheme of things over time. So typical of Louisiana.

It really drives home why projects like this don't happen very often. They are not easy to build. Tack on the swampy soils here, and that leads to more issues. I think the last ground up terminal built in the US was at IND. MCI will be the next project going up after ours if all goes as planned up there.

msycajun

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Yeah, with all of the new capacity this summer, the current terminal will be a mess. I wonder if they will bring back any of the jet bridges that were moved?

At any rate, something needs to be done about parking and access - I wonder if there is any way to use some of the parking on the north side and shuttle to the south? That would at least bring in some revenue and remove some congestion from the roadways.

DJSNOLA

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Its nice to at least see the article discuss trials by volunteers in the next couple of weeks.. def want to do that.. again the contractor in my mind let the airport down by giving them unreasonable schedule... starting trials in may or june is what should be happening for a facility to open at the earliest in august! so i dont understand why they did all that knowing it wouldnt make it... no reason to open an airport half ass.. that does no one any good

dc10co

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm

I think it’s very telling that a firm date is not being released to the public. I think the airport realizes what a huge blunder this was and how bad it makes them look. The date we received was August 6th all RONs park at new terminal with an open date of August 7th, either the issue is more serious than initially thought or they are trying to save face in the event that something further delays the opening beyond August 7th
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm

dc10co wrote:
I think it’s very telling that a firm date is not being released to the public. I think the airport realizes what a huge blunder this was and how bad it makes them look. The date we received was August 6th all RONs park at new terminal with an open date of August 7th, either the issue is more serious than initially thought or they are trying to save face in the event that something further delays the opening beyond August 7th

I think this is exactly it. Might as well say Fall, and then if everything goes as planned for an August 7th opening they will look good. In the end, I'm just really disappointed in the lack of transparency and forthrightness by both the contractor and the airport board. The only thing this does is piss off the tenants and the general public since they feel lied to. I know I'm in that boat. Why go through the effort of moving jetbridges, starting up a media blitz (including tv commercials), and hiring people for the retail and food vendors if a delay of a few months was known beforehand. It looks really bad.

Also, didn't mean any disrepect to you dc10co. I always like to have more then one source for things like this, and was also in disbelief that the airport would do this to the tenants on such short notice. The jetbridges should have never been moved from C and D.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:16 am

CM (Copa) October Stats
Airport.......Seats......Pax......Load Factor
SFO..........15936...14967........93.92%
FLL.............7132.....6684........93.72%
JFK...........32340....29451.......91.07%
LAX..........27780.....25221.......90.79%
LAS.............9260....8291.........89.54%
MCO.........39884....35149.......88.13%
SJU...........12808....11117........86.80%
MIA...........53660....44897.......83.67%
ORD..........19744...14959.......75.76%
TPA............7880.....5528.........70.15%
BOS..........12226.....8448.......69.10%
IAD............24334...16712.......68.68%
DEN............5760....3924.........68.13%
MSY............4668.....3088........66.15%

Not a good month for the CM flight considering October is a peak travel month at MSY.

BA (British Airways) October Stats
Airport.......Seats......Pax......Load Factor
SEA..........24689....22328.......90.44%
SFO.........44603.....39800.......89.23%
EWR.........26559....23690.......89.20%
LAS..........36436.....32460.......89.09%
PHL..........19589.....17165.......87.63%
MSY...........9648......8435.........87.43%
JFK........150051...130162.......86.75%
BOS.........64271.....55666.......86.61%
BWI..........13288.....11453.......86.19%
IAD...........35110.....30202.......86.02%
ATL.......... 13956....11927........85.46%
MIA..........44009.....37477.......85.16%
LAX..........68135.....57857.......84.92%
ORD.........43762.....36922.......84.37%
BNA...........9630.......8036.......83.45%
MCO........34897.....28739.......82.35%
SAN..........18184....14890........81.89%
PHX.........27971.....22887........81.82%
DEN.........19972.....16339.......81.81%
AUS.........19409.....15518........79.95%
SJC..........13392....10593........79.10%
DFW.........17856.....13931.......78.02%
TPA..........18332.....14141........77.14%
IAH...........26079.....19816.......75.98%
FLL............8502......5853.........68.84%
OAK...........2750......1280.........46.55%

Very good month for the route.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:28 am

Here is how our TATL routes compared to all other TATL routes from peer FAA defined medium hub airports in October and YTD 2018.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pUim6zLou2yi0OrZXam_VbjP4piD9X6G1bGOSez4ODs/edit?usp=sharing

October-
MSY-LHR ranked 8th out of 28 routes in pax count falling between DL's RDU-CDG and EI's BDL-DUB routes.
MSY-LHR ranked 1st out of 28 routes for load factor.

YTD-
MSY-LHR ranked 10th out of 36 routes in pax count falling between EI's BDL-DUB and LH's SJC-FRA routes.
MSY-FRA ranked 31st out of 36 routes in pax count falling between DE's PIT-FRA and FI's MCI-KEF routes.
MSY-FRA ranked 4th out of 36 routes for load factor falling between DI's OAK-LGW and BA's BNA-LHR routes.
MSY-LHR ranked 21st out of 36 routes for load factor falling between DY's OAK-ARN and BA's SJC-LHR routes.

Note: for routes flown all 10 months, MSY-LHR ranked 9th out of 13 routes for load factor falling between DYs OAK-ARN and BA's SJC-LHR routes.

DJSNOLA

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:27 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
dc10co wrote:

I think this is exactly it. Might as well say Fall, and then if everything goes as planned for an August 7th opening they will look good. In the end, I'm just really disappointed in the lack of transparency and forthrightness by both the contractor and the airport board. The only thing this does is piss off the tenants and the general public since they feel lied to. I know I'm in that boat. Why go through the effort of moving jetbridges, starting up a media blitz (including tv commercials), and hiring people for the retail and food vendors if a delay of a few months was known beforehand. It looks really bad.

Also, didn't mean any disrepect to you dc10co. I always like to have more then one source for things like this, and was also in disbelief that the airport would do this to the tenants on such short notice. The jetbridges should have never been moved from C and D.

They didnt tell anyone at City Council either, ran into Jarred Brossett yesterday and he said he found out when everyone else did too.. oops! lol
was also thinking about the current airport tenants and how hard it must be for them to keep staff as is and then now this yikes lol

On a positive note at least the long term garage will be ready now and that should help relieve some of the traffic headaches...

NolaMD88fan

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 am

I've heard the garage will be ready by July, so an August opening would time out well for that. We'll see if that August date holds firm.

DJSNOLA

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:37 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
I've heard the garage will be ready by July, so an August opening would time out well for that. We'll see if that August date holds firm.

i actually think considering the status of the airport thats what they are waiting for to finish.. otherwise no reason to push opening back to august otherwise

msycajun

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:18 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

i actually think considering the status of the airport thats what they are waiting for to finish.. otherwise no reason to push opening back to august otherwise

On one hand it will be nice to have more on-site capacity, but on the other it will probably make traffic from I10 worse compared to having long term parking on the south side.

NolaMD88fan

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:34 pm

AA cutting back LAX quite a bit this Summer. Probably related to 737MAX grounding. Hoping it's a temporary thing.

LAX772LR

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:27 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
MSY-LHR ranked 1st

Had to point it out again. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

So nice to see Louisiana ranking first in something positive!

LAX772LR

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
AA cutting back LAX quite a bit this Summer.

B6 is also cutting back FLL a good bit throughout the fall. Last fall, they were still daily.

SunsetLimited

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:16 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
AA cutting back LAX quite a bit this Summer.

B6 is also cutting back FLL a good bit throughout the fall. Last fall, they were still daily.

I’m surprised B6 is still even in the market, to be honest. The flights are rarely full (usually around 75% from what I see) and the yields have to be terrible with NK/WN competition.
Spread hope like fire.

LAX772LR

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:49 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
and the yields have to be terrible with NK/WN competition.

For the O&D... but I'd have to surmise that B6 is going for LatAm traffic, that WN doesn't really compete for and NK often has different markets or charges higher fares.

Otherwise, like you said, dunno how they can be making any decent money on MSY-FLL as a standalone.

tphuang

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:33 am

B6 makes a lot of money on JFK/BOS-MSY. They are more apt to stick out with FLL when there is more service than to just BOS.

NolaMD88fan

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 am

MSY-FLL has good times that allow for connections, but good luck getting back using FLL-MSY. The early departure time out of FLL eliminates most connecting opportunities, and most pax would rather not fly all the up to JFK or BOS to connect to MSY from the likes of AUA, MBJ, or BOG. All of our Caribbean trips have either been on CM or AA recently. B6 isn't really an option.

DJSNOLA

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

For the O&D... but I'd have to surmise that B6 is going for LatAm traffic, that WN doesn't really compete for and NK often has different markets or charges higher fares.

Otherwise, like you said, dunno how they can be making any decent money on MSY-FLL as a standalone.

you have to be right because the JEt Blue times are always off for us to ever consider flying them especially on the return flight.. couldnt use them to the Bahamas next week for this exact reason

DJSNOLA

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:30 pm

I read this about the new Istanbul Airport.. does anyone know if MSY will be able to deliver something like this one day? Just think its a great idea to know when baggage is there and not have to stand for 20 minutes

“Another critical solution that we have implemented is the extended RFID baggage tracking project, which informs the customers right after their baggage is dropped on the particular carousel so that they can enjoy their time in other facilities such as duty free shops or coffee shops instead of waiting for baggage claim. The same technology is also integrated with the Lost & Found system. It is super easy for the agents to identify the owner of lost baggage. We renewed our self-service devices such as kiosks and self-bag drop devices in accordance with our renewed brand identity at Istanbul Airport. In order to enable our passengers to complete their transactions in the shortest timeframe, we have carried some of the transactions performed by our sales offices to the counter, such as excess baggage and sports equipment operations. We will also be providing our Braille boarding card service for our visually impaired guests at more points to provide a more accessible service at Istanbul Airport.”

https://www.futuretravelexperience.com/2019/04/turkish-airlines-innovation-following-great-move-istanbul-airport/

BRJ

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:33 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

you have to be right because the JEt Blue times are always off for us to ever consider flying them especially on the return flight.. couldnt use them to the Bahamas next week for this exact reason

We flew FLL-MSY back in November, after a cruise. While I can see how the earlier departure would limit the connections, I will say the flight was pretty much full, mostly returning from cruises as well. It was a much better option than sitting around FLL until 4pm for WN's next nonstop. That said, I think the timing works well for cruise market on the weekend, particular Sunday, but I can see how it would be empty during the week.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:45 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
I read this about the new Istanbul Airport.. does anyone know if MSY will be able to deliver something like this one day? Just think its a great idea to know when baggage is there and not have to stand for 20 minutes

“Another critical solution that we have implemented is the extended RFID baggage tracking project, which informs the customers right after their baggage is dropped on the particular carousel so that they can enjoy their time in other facilities such as duty free shops or coffee shops instead of waiting for baggage claim. The same technology is also integrated with the Lost & Found system. It is super easy for the agents to identify the owner of lost baggage. We renewed our self-service devices such as kiosks and self-bag drop devices in accordance with our renewed brand identity at Istanbul Airport. In order to enable our passengers to complete their transactions in the shortest timeframe, we have carried some of the transactions performed by our sales offices to the counter, such as excess baggage and sports equipment operations. We will also be providing our Braille boarding card service for our visually impaired guests at more points to provide a more accessible service at Istanbul Airport.”

https://www.futuretravelexperience.com/2019/04/turkish-airlines-innovation-following-great-move-istanbul-airport/

That would be awesome to have, but no clue if it's in the new terminal.

flyPIT

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:21 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Here is how our TATL routes compared to all other TATL routes from peer FAA defined medium hub airports in October and YTD 2018.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pUim6zLou2yi0OrZXam_VbjP4piD9X6G1bGOSez4ODs/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you so much for compiling this. These stats are round trip, correct?

You could make a dedicated thread out of that spreadsheet if you keep updating it, it sure would be of interest to everyone in all the peer cities you have listed.
FLYi

NolaMD88fan

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 pm

flyPIT wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Thank you so much for compiling this. These stats are round trip, correct?

You could make a dedicated thread out of that spreadsheet if you keep updating it, it sure would be of interest to everyone in all the peer cities you have listed.

Thanks! Yes, these are round trip stats. I may consider creating a dedicated thread, but worry about being tied down to it. Something to think about.

strangeplanes

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:09 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:

Istanbul is utilizing an ICS system which allows them to track bags in real time. I’m not super familiar with NoLa new terminal but I think it’s BHS is a conveyor, not ICS.

Edit: I did some reading and it does appear that the new terminal is using a conveyor based BHS.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:54 am

January 2019 domestic and October 2018 international load factors and passenger numbers by route finally calculated.

International load factor for all carriers in October was 81.5%. Passenger traffic and seat count both grew by 15.7% resulting in no net change in load factor year over year. Year to date load factor for all international routes was 76.1%. DE flew into early October 2017, but did fly into October 2018. CM added capacity and pax, but pax growth was not enough to fill all of the added seats. AC saw more balanced growth and BA saw demand outstrip capacity increases resulting in a higher load factor.

October International route seat count(%change), pax count(%change), and load factor(change)

Airline............Seats.............................Pax..........................LF
AC................5,007(+8.5%)................4,217(+6.9%)..........84.2%(-1.3%)
BA................9,648(+25.2%)..............8,435(+29.1%)........87.4%(+2.6%)
CM...............4,668(+37.9%)..............3,088(+22.7%)........66.2%(-8.1%)
DE.......................0(-100.0%)............. 0(-100.0%).......0.00%(-62.1%)

Domestically in January, airport-wide seat count grew by 6.4% and pax traffic grew by 4.3% resulting in a -1.5% decline in load factors to 74.6%. B6's MSY-BOS route had the best loads of the month at 89.7%. WN's MSY-CMH route had the worst loads of the month at 52.1%.

AA and UA saw significant increases in capacity and passengers on a year over year basis. AA firmly supplanted DL to be the largest network carrier at the airport in January. DL saw a slight decline in capacity and passengers while WN saw a modest increase in capacity and a slight decline in pax. NK saw a sharp decline in capacity and a modest increase in pax resulting in a much higher load factor.

January Domestic route seat count(% change), pax count(%change), and load factor(change):

Airline............Seats.............................Pax..........................LF
AS................19,254(+80.9%)...........15,350(+68.7%)......79.7%(-5.8%)
AA...............228,624(+22.2%).........176,054(+19.4%).....77.0%(-1.8%)
B6................34,492(-11.7%)..............27,129(-9.4%).......78.7%(+2.0%)
DL...............183,427(-1.4%)............145,417(-3.4%)........79.3%(-1.6%)
F9................28,648(-24.9%)..............23,413(-18.5%)......81.7%(+6.4%)
G4...............10,044(-42.1%)...............6,453(-46.7%).......64.3%(-5.4%)
NK...............132,088(-10.9%)...........99,613(+2.6%)........75.4%(+9.9%)
SY..................5,733............................3,402.....................59.3%
UA..............166,730(+28.1%)..........127,476(+18.8%).....76.5%(-6.0%)
WN.............511,860(+4.3%)............363,183(-1.5%)........71.0%(-4.2%)

Domestic
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E9rmJybgx62zThKL7FM9L53IOgxRhYEFSwGjW7KSHNw/edit?usp=sharing

International
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B6bS8RNmaygLVtQ18N7aIAziuHLr6W1g1XTgve_M-Lg/edit?usp=sharing

jbs2886

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:27 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
January 2019 domestic and October 2018 international load factors and passenger numbers by route finally calculated.

International load factor for all carriers in October was 81.5%. Passenger traffic and seat count both grew by 15.7% resulting in no net change in load factor year over year. Year to date load factor for all international routes was 76.1%. DE flew into early October 2017, but did fly into October 2018. CM added capacity and pax, but pax growth was not enough to fill all of the added seats. AC saw more balanced growth and BA saw demand outstrip capacity increases resulting in a higher load factor.

October International route seat count(%change), pax count(%change), and load factor(change)

AC................5,007(+8.5%)................4,217(+6.9%)..........84.2%(-1.3%)

Domestically in January, airport-wide seat count grew by 6.4% and pax traffic grew by 4.3% resulting in a -1.5% decline in load factors to 74.6%. B6's MSY-BOS route had the best loads of the month at 89.7%. WN's MSY-CMH route had the worst loads of the month at 52.1%.

AA and UA saw significant increases in capacity and passengers on a year over year basis. AA firmly supplanted DL to be the largest network carrier at the airport in January. DL saw a slight decline in capacity and passengers while WN saw a modest increase in capacity and a slight decline in pax. NK saw a sharp decline in capacity and a modest increase in pax resulting in a much higher load factor.

January Domestic route seat count(% change), pax count(%change), and load factor(change):

SY..................5,733............................3,402.....................59.3%

Domestic
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E9rmJybgx62zThKL7FM9L53IOgxRhYEFSwGjW7KSHNw/edit?usp=sharing

International
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B6bS8RNmaygLVtQ18N7aIAziuHLr6W1g1XTgve_M-Lg/edit?usp=sharing

It’s amazing how large AA can be without any NYC flights.

jbs2886

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:33 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:

Domestic

International

DL capacity numbers are off. Every route saw an increase in capacity, no routes dropped, but lower overall capacity? Edit, same issue on passengers.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:09 pm

jbs2886 wrote:

DL capacity numbers are off. Every route saw an increase in capacity, no routes dropped, but lower overall capacity? Edit, same issue on passengers.

These are the numbers DL reported to the government, so no way to recalculate anything unfortunately.

msycajun

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:29 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

These are the numbers DL reported to the government, so no way to recalculate anything unfortunately.

It seems the error is in the spreadsheet - the sum function doesn't include the last row (JFK). But as always appreciate you compiling this.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:49 am

msycajun wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

It seems the error is in the spreadsheet - the sum function doesn't include the last row (JFK). But as always appreciate you compiling this.

Oh crap. Didn't realize that. I will fix it when I get off work.

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 am

First DL confirms its return to MSY-CUN, now UA is returning as well:
https://wayfarer.travel/united-airlines ... rn-summer/

WN is on the route, and isn't someone else doing it too?

Despite the relatively low loads seen, especially for the two Legacies... something seems to keep pulling them back. Oh well, happy!

NolaMD88fan

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:28 am

The DL numbers have been corrected in the spreadsheet. Capacity growth of 11.5% and pax growth of 6.9%.

Glad to see UA returning for the Summer. Vacation Express dropped CUN and replaced with MBJ. We'll only see UA and WN on the CUN route this Summer which will do wonders for the loads. DL will be back for the winter season.

DJSNOLA

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:40 pm

#TheNewMSY will have three lounges including a Delta Air Lines Sky Club and many more passenger amenities. Learn more about the new, replacement terminal at www.thenewmsy.com.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:19 am

Looks like the A220 will be flying MSY-LHR Saturday only service from 9/14 to 9/28. Flight arrives at 12:06 and departs at 13:00.

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/1120067792038797312?s=09&fbclid=IwAR38x-8KhoPoD2trVMlXAW-DKl9MVMwKDVffmBaHoc2XG4sRoJAWzMlw098

Ishrion

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:22 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Looks like the A220 will be flying MSY-LHR Saturday only service from 9/14 to 9/28. Flight arrives at 12:06 and departs at 13:00.

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/1120067792038797312?s=09&fbclid=IwAR38x-8KhoPoD2trVMlXAW-DKl9MVMwKDVffmBaHoc2XG4sRoJAWzMlw098

You mean LGA, not LHR?

NolaMD88fan

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:10 pm

Ishrion wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

You mean LGA, not LHR?

:lol: Yup. Would be quite the feat to see an A220 flying MSY-LHR. My bad.

Rumors persist of increase to 3 class 772 and daily service for the BA LHR flight. We'll see how that plays out.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Further confirmation that some type of announcement is in the works with BA. http://www.flymsy.com/Files/CrossReference/1A/03-DirectorsSignedCCReport-March.pdf The airport director had a meeting with BA in late March. Likely to coordinate press announcements. Guessing we'll be hearing about capacity and/or frequency increases in the near future.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos