AdEd
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:40 pm

N401DZ is scheduled for SEA-NRT: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n401dz

What could it be doing?
 
Tomsixty2
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:06 pm

Maybe a test flight....
 
FSDan
Posts: 2498
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:07 am

audidudi wrote:
More details of additional routes for the refurbished B764s:

https://news.delta.com/delta-rolls-out- ... th-america


I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this! Here's a recap of the routes in the link:
ATL-LHR starting 11/12/19
JFK-LHR starting 11/16/19
BOS-LHR starting 11/20/19
JFK-ZRH starting 12/8/19
JFK-BRU starting 1/30/20
ATL-BRU starting 2/22/20
...and then starting on unannounced dates in 2Q 2020:
JFK-GRU
DTW-LHR
MSP-LHR
PDX-LHR
ATL-MUC
JFK-NCE
ATL-ZRH
ATL-EZE

A few observations:
  • Assuming DTW, ATL, and JFK to LHR each see the 764 on both daily frequencies, the above list speaks for most of the fleet (something like 19 out of 21 frames). However, if routes like DTW-LHR and ATL-LHR only see the 764s on one daily frequency, then there may be a few more routes to announce at a later date.
  • It's very interesting to me that SLC-LHR is the only LHR route not included. I suppose that might just be because it's seasonal; otherwise, perhaps they're looking at transferring that particular route to VS?
  • It's also interesting to me that BRU will see the refurbished 764s while FRA won't. I would have expected DL's FRA routes to be more premium than their BRU routes.
  • I expect the HNL routes that currently see 764s will either move to 763s (DTW, if it sticks around long term; maybe MSP) or 333s (ATL, MSP if DTW-HNL goes away). There will probably be an uptick in 763s on JFK-LAX to balance out the 764s leaving the route, although it should still be possible to fit in one or two rotations on the 764s along with the above announced routes.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
AdEd
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:42 am

FSDan wrote:
audidudi wrote:
More details of additional routes for the refurbished B764s:

https://news.delta.com/delta-rolls-out- ... th-america


A few observations:
  • Assuming DTW, ATL, and JFK to LHR each see the 764 on both daily frequencies, the above list speaks for most of the fleet (something like 19 out of 21 frames). However, if routes like DTW-LHR and ATL-LHR only see the 764s on one daily frequency, then there may be a few more routes to announce at a later date.
  • It's very interesting to me that SLC-LHR is the only LHR route not included. I suppose that might just be because it's seasonal; otherwise, perhaps they're looking at transferring that particular route to VS?
  • It's also interesting to me that BRU will see the refurbished 764s while FRA won't. I would have expected DL's FRA routes to be more premium than their BRU routes.
  • I expect the HNL routes that currently see 764s will either move to 763s (DTW, if it sticks around long term; maybe MSP) or 333s (ATL, MSP if DTW-HNL goes away). There will probably be an uptick in 763s on JFK-LAX to balance out the 764s leaving the route, although it should still be possible to fit in one or two rotations on the 764s along with the above announced routes.


According to airlineroute, ATL-LHR and JFK-LHR will eventually go double daily on the refurbished 764s:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -nov-2019/

Listed there is also ATL-CDG due to start on 01/12/20 but wasn’t listed on DL’s press release.

AFAIK, SLC-LHR seasonals will still continue to use the 763.
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 am

Noteworthy Aircraft Activity 6/25
763ER-low J: unscheduled swap from 764 on ATL-GIG-ATL rotation (N152DL)
763ER-low J: PDX-NRT flight cancelled - tech (N195DN)
763ER-low J: unscheduled upgrade from 752 on 7:25pm DTW-ATL flight (N175DZ)
764: GIG-ATL rescue flight following previous day's cancellation (N835MH)
339: SEA-NRT-SEA ETOPS certification flight? (N401DZ)
77L: LAX-ATL ferry flight - aircraft repositioning (N708DN)
77L: unscheduled swap from 7CD on 10:48pm ATL-CDG-ATL rotation (N708DN)
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:32 am

AdEd wrote:
Listed there is also ATL-CDG due to start on 01/12/20 but wasn’t listed on DL’s press release.

I'm seeing ATL-CDG temporarily on new 764s during W19/20 then reverting back to 777 for S20
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:19 am

Does Delta operate any 767s as hot spares?
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:32 am

NateGreat wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Are any of the 763ERs going to receive Delta One Suites?

No. The 764ERs are receiving a new D1 seat that borrows a few components from the D1 Suite. Whether or not the 763ERs will get that new product, I do not know. If they do, only a few will, as the 763ERs will be leaving the fleet in the coming years. But it will very likely NOT be the D1 Suite.


I thought I read somewhere that some were slated to get the 764 seat, but I'll have to double-check.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
777Mech
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:33 am

AdEd wrote:
N401DZ is scheduled for SEA-NRT: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n401dz

What could it be doing?


It's a validation flight.
 
NateGreat
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:24 am

777Mech wrote:
AdEd wrote:
N401DZ is scheduled for SEA-NRT: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n401dz

What could it be doing?


It's a validation flight.

What’s a “validation flight”?
 
AdEd
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:42 am

777Mech wrote:
AdEd wrote:
N401DZ is scheduled for SEA-NRT: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n401dz

What could it be doing?


It's a validation flight.


For ETOPS certification? Or has it been certified already?
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:55 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Does Delta operate any 767s as hot spares?

yes. At peak S20 schedule, 1x 76Z, 3x 76T and the lone 764 with DS will act as hot spares.
 
777Mech
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:34 pm

AdEd wrote:
777Mech wrote:
AdEd wrote:
N401DZ is scheduled for SEA-NRT: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n401dz

What could it be doing?


It's a validation flight.


For ETOPS certification? Or has it been certified already?


For ETOPS.
 
audidudi
Posts: 2064
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:51 pm

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Does Delta operate any 767s as hot spares?

yes. At peak S20 schedule, 1x 76Z, 3x 76T and the lone 764 with DS will act as hot spares.

I think you mean S19, not S20, here don't you?
 
audidudi
Posts: 2064
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:53 pm

777Mech wrote:
AdEd wrote:
777Mech wrote:

It's a validation flight.


For ETOPS certification? Or has it been certified already?


For ETOPS.

Wouldn't ETOPS have been certified on the delivery flight from TLS>ATL last month?
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:17 pm

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Does Delta operate any 767s as hot spares?

yes. At peak S20 schedule, 1x 76Z, 3x 76T and the lone 764 with DS will act as hot spares.

What is a 76Z?
 
NateGreat
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:33 pm

FSDan wrote:
audidudi wrote:
More details of additional routes for the refurbished B764s:

https://news.delta.com/delta-rolls-out- ... th-america


I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this! Here's a recap of the routes in the link:
ATL-LHR starting 11/12/19
JFK-LHR starting 11/16/19
BOS-LHR starting 11/20/19
JFK-ZRH starting 12/8/19
JFK-BRU starting 1/30/20
ATL-BRU starting 2/22/20
...and then starting on unannounced dates in 2Q 2020:
JFK-GRU
DTW-LHR
MSP-LHR
PDX-LHR
ATL-MUC
JFK-NCE
ATL-ZRH
ATL-EZE

A few observations:
  • Assuming DTW, ATL, and JFK to LHR each see the 764 on both daily frequencies, the above list speaks for most of the fleet (something like 19 out of 21 frames). However, if routes like DTW-LHR and ATL-LHR only see the 764s on one daily frequency, then there may be a few more routes to announce at a later date.
  • It's very interesting to me that SLC-LHR is the only LHR route not included. I suppose that might just be because it's seasonal; otherwise, perhaps they're looking at transferring that particular route to VS?
  • It's also interesting to me that BRU will see the refurbished 764s while FRA won't. I would have expected DL's FRA routes to be more premium than their BRU routes.
  • I expect the HNL routes that currently see 764s will either move to 763s (DTW, if it sticks around long term; maybe MSP) or 333s (ATL, MSP if DTW-HNL goes away). There will probably be an uptick in 763s on JFK-LAX to balance out the 764s leaving the route, although it should still be possible to fit in one or two rotations on the 764s along with the above announced routes.

Looks like there’s gonna be a lot of fleet shifting, considering this article. I assume the A332s will go on to replace many 763ER routes beyond which routes listed in this article are not going to the refurbished 764.
https://simpleflying.com/delta-767-to-a330-replacement/
 
sketch
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:28 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:42 pm

audidudi wrote:
Wouldn't ETOPS have been certified on the delivery flight from TLS>ATL last month?

"ETOPS" isn't a single certification, there are levels based on the number of minutes to an airport capable of handling that aircraft. For example, ETOPS 180 certification means an aircraft can fly any route that is no more than 180 minutes from a suitable diversion airport. ETOPS started with 90- and 120-minute rules and has expanded since then.

So, TLS-ATL would be enough to certify for "basic" ETOPS but not enough to certify for ETOPS levels of 180 and beyond which are desired especially for TPAC routes.
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:57 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
What is a 76Z?

A low-J 763ER. 76T is a high-J 763ER with crew rest area.
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:30 am

Noteworthy Aircraft Activity 6/26
763ER-low J: PDX-NRT rescue flight following previous day's cancellation (N195DN)
763ER-low J: unscheduled upgrade from 75W on 11:45am JFK-LAX-JFK rotation (N174DZ)
359: ICN-ATL flight diverted to HSV - weather (N503DN)
359: LAX-PVG flight cancelled - tech (N511DN)
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:53 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Does Delta operate any 767s as hot spares?

You seem interested/intrigued in spares. Currently DL has the following widebody spares (not all are hot yet -764DS/339):
76T (high-J, cabin rest area) - 1x
76Z (low-J) - 2x
764 (DS) - 1x
339 - 2x
77L - 1x
333 - 1x

At peak S19 schedule, you'll see these extra movements in the fleet:
- DTW-HNL inaugural on 6/29 on 764
- ATL-MUC moving from 764 to 76Z effective 7/1 (result: 76Z decreases to 1x spare)
- SEA-PVG moving 76T to 339 effective 7/15 (result: 339 no spare; 76T increases to 3x spares)

So you're looking at 7 hot spares at peak S19 out of a total active widebody fleet of 152 (or 4.6%)
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 am

Is the rest area on the 76T for the flight attendants or a second pair of pilots?
 
panamair
Posts: 4088
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Is the rest area on the 76T for the flight attendants or a second pair of pilots?


On the 76T, the pilots have their own rest bunks in the cabin in the forward Y section while the flight attendant bunks are below deck at the tail of the aircraft. Because the pilots have their separate rest area on the 76T, DL is able to sell all 36 Delta One seats on this aircraft. On the 76L or the 76Z, the pilots take one of the Delta One seats for their rest break so DL can only sell 35 D1 seats on the 76L and 25 D1 (out of 26) on the 76Zs; flight attendant rest area is the same on the 76L, 76Z and 76T.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 am

panamair wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Is the rest area on the 76T for the flight attendants or a second pair of pilots?


On the 76T, the pilots have their own rest bunks in the cabin in the forward Y section while the flight attendant bunks are below deck at the tail of the aircraft. Because the pilots have their separate rest area on the 76T, DL is able to sell all 36 Delta One seats on this aircraft. On the 76L or the 76Z, the pilots take one of the Delta One seats for their rest break so DL can only sell 35 D1 seats on the 76L and 25 D1 (out of 26) on the 76Zs; flight attendant rest area is the same on the 76L, 76Z and 76T.

Why is there only one relief pilot? Shouldn't there be two?
 
FB330
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:54 am

Any update of when the ex-Gulf Air low-J 763s will retire?
 
FSDan
Posts: 2498
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:59 pm

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Does Delta operate any 767s as hot spares?

You seem interested/intrigued in spares. Currently DL has the following widebody spares (not all are hot yet -764DS/339):
76T (high-J, cabin rest area) - 1x
76Z (low-J) - 2x
764 (DS) - 1x
339 - 2x
77L - 1x
333 - 1x

At peak S19 schedule, you'll see these extra movements in the fleet:
- DTW-HNL inaugural on 6/29 on 764
- ATL-MUC moving from 764 to 76Z effective 7/1 (result: 76Z decreases to 1x spare)
- SEA-PVG moving 76T to 339 effective 7/15 (result: 339 no spare; 76T increases to 3x spares)

So you're looking at 7 hot spares at peak S19 out of a total active widebody fleet of 152 (or 4.6%)


Out of interest, what makes a spare a hot spare? Being able to be subbed seamlessly with an active fleet as opposed to being a separate aircraft type/configuration?

Also, am I right in thinking that DL is down to just 10 76Ls at this point?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
n515cr
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:49 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:48 pm

FSDan wrote:
Also, am I right in thinking that DL is down to just 10 76Ls at this point?

Correct
N171DN 171
N172DN 172
N174DN 174
N175DN 175
N176DN 176
N177DN 177
N178DN 178
N179DN 179
N183DN 183 - supposedly will be converted to 76Z
N185DN 185 - supposedly will be converted to 76Z
 
GSOtoIND
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:17 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Why is there only one relief pilot? Shouldn't there be two?

It depends on the block time. I believe the specific thresholds are in the CBA, but I think you need an FB on flights 8-12 hours and an FC only on flights over 12 hours. The 767 isn't a 12-hour plane for most airlines.
IND. 2018: BOS/AUA/MIA/DEN Next: LAS/SLC/DEN
 
Dldiamondboy
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:28 pm

TW870 wrote:
Dldiamondboy wrote:
Delta announced that as of March 1 2019 ATL-NRT-ATL would be flown with the 777 that had been converted over to the D1 suites. These suites are quite nice and if you are in row A or D there is more room than the A350 suites. I fly ATL-NRT-SIN-NRT-ATL monthy and I have noticed that this month quite often this route is being flown with the 777's that have the old herringbone business class seat configuation. Does anyone know why this is taking place? Busy summer travel season perhaps? I have the req #'s of the LR's that have been modfied. Is there a way to see more than a day out the reg number of the ship that will be doing a particular flight?


You are correct that this has been common. The reason lies in the small overall size of the 777 fleet at Delta, and the fact that only four of ten LRs have been converted. It is very easy for airplanes to get out of sequence when a small fleet serves so many stations. The 777 had to cover LAX-HND two days ago, for example, because an A350 went tech. I'm guessing that they have a spare 777 in LA on some days, but that still has consequences downline, which is why you see so many configuration changes. If you follow this thread, you can see how often the reconfigured 777s swap out with the non-reconfigured birds.


I would just like to figure out how to avoid the non-modified LR's. I guess I can check FR24 and call the Diamond Line several days out.
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:40 pm

FSDan wrote:
Out of interest, what makes a spare a hot spare? Being able to be subbed seamlessly with an active fleet as opposed to being a separate aircraft type/configuration?

you're probably reading too much into my words. i mean hot spare in terms of an aircraft ready to go if needed (ie. not in maintenance or induction or stored). Currently the 339s and 764 (DS) are going through induction so wouldn't qualify as hot spares.
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:45 pm

Dldiamondboy wrote:
I would just like to figure out how to avoid the non-modified LR's. I guess I can check FR24 and call the Diamond Line several days out.

This is the 777 route allocation by type for S19. The hot spare is a 77L (non-mod) so that's where you're most likely to see any unscheduled swap for both 7CB/7CD and 359 routes. Trying to predict unscheduled swaps is an art no one i know has yet mastered...

7CD (4-class 772) - 8 frames:
msp-hnd
hnd-msp-cdg
cdg-atl-cdg
cdg-atl-cdg
cdg-lax
lax-cdg
cdg-msp-icn
icn-msp

7CB (4-class 77L) - 4 frames:
atl-nrt
nrt-atl-lax
lax-syd-lax
lax-atl

77L (3-class 77L) - 6 frames:
[hot spare]
atl-pvg
[overnight pvg]
pvg-atl-ams
ams-atl-jnb
jnb-atl
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:24 pm

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Out of interest, what makes a spare a hot spare? Being able to be subbed seamlessly with an active fleet as opposed to being a separate aircraft type/configuration?

you're probably reading too much into my words. i mean hot spare in terms of an aircraft ready to go if needed (ie. not in maintenance or induction or stored). Currently the 339s and 764 (DS) are going through induction so wouldn't qualify as hot spares.

What is induction?
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:27 pm

GSOtoIND wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Why is there only one relief pilot? Shouldn't there be two?

It depends on the block time. I believe the specific thresholds are in the CBA, but I think you need an FB on flights 8-12 hours and an FC only on flights over 12 hours. The 767 isn't a 12-hour plane for most airlines.

What is an FC?
 
FSDan
Posts: 2498
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:28 pm

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Out of interest, what makes a spare a hot spare? Being able to be subbed seamlessly with an active fleet as opposed to being a separate aircraft type/configuration?

you're probably reading too much into my words. i mean hot spare in terms of an aircraft ready to go if needed (ie. not in maintenance or induction or stored). Currently the 339s and 764 (DS) are going through induction so wouldn't qualify as hot spares.


Got it. Thanks for the clarification! :)
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
FSDan
Posts: 2498
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:30 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
hkcanadaexpat wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Out of interest, what makes a spare a hot spare? Being able to be subbed seamlessly with an active fleet as opposed to being a separate aircraft type/configuration?

you're probably reading too much into my words. i mean hot spare in terms of an aircraft ready to go if needed (ie. not in maintenance or induction or stored). Currently the 339s and 764 (DS) are going through induction so wouldn't qualify as hot spares.

What is induction?


The time between delivery from the manufacturer and entry into service. There's work to be done (I'd guess largely on the interiors) before airlines put a new aircraft into action on revenue flights.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:00 pm

How many L-1011s does Delta have in storage?
 
777Mech
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:06 am

blacksoviet wrote:
How many L-1011s does Delta have in storage?


0
 
FlyHPN
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:34 am

blacksoviet wrote:
How many L-1011s does Delta have in storage?

Quick question: have you ever heard of google?
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:36 am

777Mech wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
How many L-1011s does Delta have in storage?


0

Are there any former Delta L-1011s still intact at Mojave or Victorville?
 
socalflyer00
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:19 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:48 am

It seems that a lot of 359s have suffered tech related cancellations since entering service. Monitoring this thread it seems as if a 359 flight is cancelled aat least several times a week.

Are these teething issues? Without starting an A v. B war, can anyone provide further credible info on DLs 359 performance thus far?
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2526
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:52 am

Saw a 339 in SEA this morning at the south satellite. Good looking plane.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:10 am

Noteworthy Aircraft Activity 6/27
763ER-low J: unscheduled upgrade from 75W on 7:05am JFK-SEA-JFK rotation (N174DZ)
7CB: unscheduled swap from 7CD on 10:48pm ATL-CDG-ATL rotation (N705DN)
359: LAX-PVG rescue flight following previous day's cancellation (N509DN)
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:26 am

socalflyer00 wrote:
It seems that a lot of 359s have suffered tech related cancellations since entering service. Monitoring this thread it seems as if a 359 flight is cancelled aat least several times a week.
Are these teething issues? Without starting an A v. B war, can anyone provide further credible info on DLs 359 performance thus far?

I write the thread and i would disagree. 359s have the least amount of issues of any widebody type in DL's fleet. You also need to bear in mind that the 359 fleet is fully committed without any hot spares which makes the smallest issue noticeable to the naked eye. A 76W that encounters a problem that is replaced by a hot spare and results in a delay (not a cancellation) is not reported actively in this thread.
 
TW870
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:26 am

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
Dldiamondboy wrote:
I would just like to figure out how to avoid the non-modified LR's. I guess I can check FR24 and call the Diamond Line several days out.

This is the 777 route allocation by type for S19. The hot spare is a 77L (non-mod) so that's where you're most likely to see any unscheduled swap for both 7CB/7CD and 359 routes. Trying to predict unscheduled swaps is an art no one i know has yet mastered...

7CD (4-class 772) - 8 frames:
msp-hnd
hnd-msp-cdg
cdg-atl-cdg
cdg-atl-cdg
cdg-lax
lax-cdg
cdg-msp-icn
icn-msp

7CB (4-class 77L) - 4 frames:
atl-nrt
nrt-atl-lax
lax-syd-lax
lax-atl

77L (3-class 77L) - 6 frames:
[hot spare]
atl-pvg
[overnight pvg]
pvg-atl-ams
ams-atl-jnb
jnb-atl


hkcanadaexpat thanks for writing this out this way as it is a great way to visualize how each frame is used. Now I can see how they were able to sub a 777 onto LAX-HND the other day when the A350 went tech. They took the plane that was supposed to do LAX-ATL and sent it LAX-HND, and then used the hot spare for ATL-NRT. I'm guessing they eventually ferried the 4-class 7CB back to ATL after it did the HND turn? Or perhaps they let the spare (77L) do ATL-NRT-ATL-LAX and then let the 7CB swap back into pattern on LAX-SYD, leaving the spare hot at LAX?

Do they try to keep the spare 777 at ATL since it has the most 777 departures? Or do they just let it sit wherever it finishes a trip? I recognize that the spare is not necessarily one airplane, but rather the block time of one airplane that doesn't get scheduled for regular service.
 
TW870
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:31 am

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
socalflyer00 wrote:
It seems that a lot of 359s have suffered tech related cancellations since entering service. Monitoring this thread it seems as if a 359 flight is cancelled aat least several times a week.
Are these teething issues? Without starting an A v. B war, can anyone provide further credible info on DLs 359 performance thus far?

I write the thread and i would disagree. 359s have the least amount of issues of any widebody type in DL's fleet. You also need to bear in mind that the 359 fleet is fully committed without any hot spares which makes the smallest issue noticeable to the naked eye. A 76W that encounters a problem that is replaced by a hot spare and results in a delay (not a cancellation) is not reported actively in this thread.


Right. Plus the A350 is scheduled in a really complicated way this summer, with U.S. departures out of DTW, SEA, LAX, and ATL. Not only is there no spare, but you can't even move up an airplane from a later trip to an earlier trip minimize delays and thus keep crews legal like you could when the whole operation was out of DTW. With the schedule they wrote, there are going to long delays and cancels now and then. I think it actually shows confidence in the airplane that they were willing to write such a complex schedule for a small fleet.
 
Eyad89
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:40 am

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
socalflyer00 wrote:
It seems that a lot of 359s have suffered tech related cancellations since entering service. Monitoring this thread it seems as if a 359 flight is cancelled aat least several times a week.
Are these teething issues? Without starting an A v. B war, can anyone provide further credible info on DLs 359 performance thus far?

I write the thread and i would disagree. 359s have the least amount of issues of any widebody type in DL's fleet. You also need to bear in mind that the 359 fleet is fully committed without any hot spares which makes the smallest issue noticeable to the naked eye. A 76W that encounters a problem that is replaced by a hot spare and results in a delay (not a cancellation) is not reported actively in this thread.



It has achieved a dispatch reliability of 99.3% 4 years after EIS, is that a record?

https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corp ... res-EN.pdf
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:18 am

Is the 777 still the flagship of the fleet or is it now the 359?
 
AdEd
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:18 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Is the 777 still the flagship of the fleet or is it now the 359?


A359
 
User avatar
747d10
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:46 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Is the 777 still the flagship of the fleet or is it now the 359?


I presume the 359 is considered the flagship. Look at an availability screen on Delta.com from DTW to ICN for example. The flights featuring the 359 have a little red tag that says "Flagship".
flown: E145/190;F100;L10/15;DC8;D8S;D10;M11;D91/S/5;M80;M90;717;727;72S;732/3/4/5/G/8/9;
741/2/3/4;752;762/3/4;77E/L;A300;310;319;320;321;330;Concorde
 
dcall620
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Delta Widebody Thread - 2019

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:20 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Is the 777 still the flagship of the fleet or is it now the 359?

A359. https://news.delta.com/deltas-flagship- ... craft-a350

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos