• 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 17
 
ibthebigd
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am

I would think FLL would be added for the connections it offers plus O&D.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:29 pm

WN IND-BOS is officially gone as of this schedule.
WN IND-OAK is still down to weekday only

WN are getting some heavy pressure from AA, NK, F9, DL, and G4 to Florida, LAX, CUN, LAS, CHI, etc

We’ll see where they go from here
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
zackary747
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
WN IND-BOS is officially gone as of this schedule.
WN IND-OAK is still down to weekday only

WN are getting some heavy pressure from AA, NK, F9, DL, and G4 to Florida, LAX, CUN, LAS, CHI, etc

We’ll see where they go from here


I'm honestly not that disappointed that WN is dropping BOS. 1x weekly doesn't do much and the bigger the hole the more likely that JetBlue (or Spirit seasonally) would snatch it. Also, did you check to see if its a seasonal drop or a permanent drop? (I am guessing permanent).

I also think OAK will do fine weekday only. No need to run it on the weekend although outside of summer they need to use the -700.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
WN IND-BOS is officially gone as of this schedule.
WN IND-OAK is still down to weekday only

WN are getting some heavy pressure from AA, NK, F9, DL, and G4 to Florida, LAX, CUN, LAS, CHI, etc

We’ll see where they go from here


I'm honestly not that disappointed that WN is dropping BOS. 1x weekly doesn't do much and the bigger the hole the more likely that JetBlue (or Spirit seasonally) would snatch it. Also, did you check to see if its a seasonal drop or a permanent drop? (I am guessing permanent).

I also think OAK will do fine weekday only. No need to run it on the weekend although outside of summer they need to use the -700.


IND-BOS drop was expected, what's surprising is how much service they are dropping, and simply moving to Florida. IND-MCO is 6x daily in October on Saturdays.....

The problem that will begin to arise is that, fares are going to begin to creep up on IND-SFO/BOS/NYC/PHL/e.t.c.(All routes that used to have LCC/ULCC competition).Carriers will begin to restrict capacity and increase fares on these routes as long as no other carriers challenge them. Which is fine when I am traveling for work, but it's not fun when you have to shell out $600+ dollars to fly an RJ nonstop to PHL
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 pm

https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... asset:6765
https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacers- ... al-airport
Construction begins in April, completion is set for 2022

What restaurants are leaving?

King David Dogs: The last location of locally owned restaurant King David Dogs, which closed its downtown location in November, will be replaced by Shake Shack, officials say. King David's closing date wasn't clear, but construction on its replacement could start this summer.

Café Patachou: This local breakfast, brunch and lunch chain with several Indianapolis-area locations has had a storefront in the airport's Civic Plaza since the terminal opened just over a decade ago.

Other restaurant tenants exiting the airport over the next three years include Wolfgang Puck, Copper Moon Coffee (concourses A and B), 96th St. Steakburgers, South Bend Chocolate Co., Qdoba, Auntie Anne's, Granite City Food and Beverage, Au Bon Pain, 317 Tap Room, Indy 500 Grill, Freshens and Green Leaf & Bananas

Image
Image
Image
Image
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
jplatts
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
IND-BOS drop was expected, what's surprising is how much service they are dropping, and simply moving to Florida. IND-MCO is 6x daily in October on Saturdays.....

The problem that will begin to arise is that, fares are going to begin to creep up on IND-SFO/BOS/NYC/PHL/e.t.c.(All routes that used to have LCC/ULCC competition).Carriers will begin to restrict capacity and increase fares on these routes as long as no other carriers challenge them. Which is fine when I am traveling for work, but it's not fun when you have to shell out $600+ dollars to fly an RJ nonstop to PHL


WN will still offer connecting service to BOS from IND through BWI once it discontinues IND-BOS nonstop service. WN will also be offering easier connecting access to NYC from IND through BWI with the return of BWI-EWR nonstop service on October 2nd.

Even though fares on UA IND-SFO nonstop flights might be higher with AS dropping IND-SFO nonstop service, fares are likely to be reasonable on UA IND-SFO nonstop flights with WN still serving OAK nonstop from IND.
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Bummer Wolfgang Puck's is leaving. I loved that place.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
ibthebigd
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 pm

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... ew-vendors

Sad to see some of the concepts leave.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm

jplatts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
IND-BOS drop was expected, what's surprising is how much service they are dropping, and simply moving to Florida. IND-MCO is 6x daily in October on Saturdays.....

The problem that will begin to arise is that, fares are going to begin to creep up on IND-SFO/BOS/NYC/PHL/e.t.c.(All routes that used to have LCC/ULCC competition).Carriers will begin to restrict capacity and increase fares on these routes as long as no other carriers challenge them. Which is fine when I am traveling for work, but it's not fun when you have to shell out $600+ dollars to fly an RJ nonstop to PHL


WN will still offer connecting service to BOS from IND through BWI once it discontinues IND-BOS nonstop service. WN will also be offering easier connecting access to NYC from IND through BWI with the return of BWI-EWR nonstop service on October 2nd.

Even though fares on UA IND-SFO nonstop flights might be higher with AS dropping IND-SFO nonstop service, fares are likely to be reasonable on UA IND-SFO nonstop flights with WN still serving OAK nonstop from IND.


Not sure people care much about connecting flights when other airlines offer nonstop.
 
jplatts
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Not sure people care much about connecting flights when other airlines offer nonstop.


There are probably some travelers who would consider connecting options on WN over a nonstop on a US3 carrier when the connecting options on WN are significantly cheaper than the nonstop option. There are some cases where connecting on WN is significantly cheaper than taking a nonstop on US3 carriers, but these cases are usually on routes that are served nonstop by one of the US3 carriers but not served nonstop by WN.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2837
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:14 pm

jplatts wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Not sure people care much about connecting flights when other airlines offer nonstop.


There are probably some travelers who would consider connecting options on WN over a nonstop on a US3 carrier when the connecting options on WN are significantly cheaper than the nonstop option. There are some cases where connecting on WN is significantly cheaper than taking a nonstop on US3 carriers, but these cases are usually on routes that are served nonstop by one of the US3 carriers but not served nonstop by WN.


I doubt they are significantly cheaper. A lot of 106 dollar flights for nonstop. I doubt southwest is going to go under that significantly (or at all)
 
jplatts
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
IND-BOS drop was expected, what's surprising is how much service they are dropping, and simply moving to Florida. IND-MCO is 6x daily in October on Saturdays.....


What were the load factors like on IND-BOS in 2018 compared to MDW-BOS, CMH-BOS, MCI-BOS, MKE-BOS, and STL-BOS? I am also surprised that WN still has 2 daily nonstops to BOS from CMH when WN is dropping IND-BOS nonstop service and when WN has already cut back on MDW-BOS, MCI-BOS, and MKE-BOS nonstop service.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 pm

jplatts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
IND-BOS drop was expected, what's surprising is how much service they are dropping, and simply moving to Florida. IND-MCO is 6x daily in October on Saturdays.....


What were the load factors like on IND-BOS in 2018 compared to MDW-BOS, CMH-BOS, MCI-BOS, MKE-BOS, and STL-BOS? I am also surprised that WN still has 2 daily nonstops to BOS from CMH when WN is dropping IND-BOS nonstop service and when WN has already cut back on MDW-BOS, MCI-BOS, and MKE-BOS nonstop service.


WN FY 18
MDW-BOS-87.3%-136 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $149-Yield-0.1731
BOS-MDW-85.9%-133 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $150-Yield-0.1738

STL-BOS-83.2%-131 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $272-Yield-0.2601
BOS-STL-82.7%-132 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $270-Yield-0.2579

MCI-BOS-78.4%-119 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $187-Yield-0.1502
BOS-MCI-77.1%-117 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $189-Yield-0.1501

IND-BOS-73.3%-115 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $157-Yield-0.1924
BOS-IND-75.9%-116 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $160-Yield-0.1961

CMH-BOS-68.3%-101 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $169-Yield-0.2637
BOS-CMH-71.2%-103 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $172-Yield-0.2686

MKE-BOS-59.5%-91 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $178-Yield-0.2074
BOS-MKE-65.4%-96 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $178-Yield-0.2066

Keep in mind, DL runs MCI/MKE-BOS 2x daily, CMH-BOS 3x daily, IND-BOS soon to be 4x daily, STL-BOS has no n/s competition
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
jplatts
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:58 am

Midwestindy wrote:
WN FY 18
IND-BOS-73.3%-115 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $157-Yield-0.1924
BOS-IND-75.9%-116 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $160-Yield-0.1961

CMH-BOS-68.3%-101 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $169-Yield-0.2637
BOS-CMH-71.2%-103 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $172-Yield-0.2686

MKE-BOS-59.5%-91 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $178-Yield-0.2074
BOS-MKE-65.4%-96 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $178-Yield-0.2066


I am surprised that WN is dropping IND-BOS nonstop service when WN had slightly better load factors on IND-BOS than on CMH-BOS or MKE-BOS nonstop service. WN also carried more passengers in and out of IND in 2018 than it did out of CMH in 2018.

However, there is more demand for US3 service out of IND than out of CMH or MKE, and WN also has greater percentage market share in the CMH and MKE markets than in the IND market.

Load factors will likely improve on MKE-BOS nonstop service in Summer 2019 since WN will only be operating 1 daily nonstop to BOS from MKE in Summer 2019.
 
tphuang
Posts: 3110
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:07 am

jplatts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
WN FY 18
IND-BOS-73.3%-115 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $157-Yield-0.1924
BOS-IND-75.9%-116 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $160-Yield-0.1961

CMH-BOS-68.3%-101 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $169-Yield-0.2637
BOS-CMH-71.2%-103 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $172-Yield-0.2686

MKE-BOS-59.5%-91 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $178-Yield-0.2074
BOS-MKE-65.4%-96 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $178-Yield-0.2066


I am surprised that WN is dropping IND-BOS nonstop service when WN had slightly better load factors on IND-BOS than on CMH-BOS or MKE-BOS nonstop service. WN also carried more passengers in and out of IND in 2018 than it did out of CMH in 2018.

However, there is more demand for US3 service out of IND than out of CMH or MKE, and WN also has greater percentage market share in the CMH and MKE markets than in the IND market.

Load factors will likely improve on MKE-BOS nonstop service in Summer 2019 since WN will only be operating 1 daily nonstop to BOS from MKE in Summer 2019.

BOS-IND was the worst performing one if you look at the avg fare and distance
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Looks like MD88s will begin to be phased out in January, DL IND-ATL goes to 3x739/1x738 then, also DL IND-SEA was increased to daily in May
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
fedex1
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:19 am

So what is going on with SouthWest? Why are they “retreating” here in Indianapolis? I don’t see Delta coming the growth?? Or United, or American. . . They have IND where they want them... thoughts!?
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:12 pm

fedex1 wrote:
So what is going on with SouthWest? Why are they “retreating” here in Indianapolis? I don’t see Delta coming the growth?? Or United, or American. . . They have IND where they want them... thoughts!?


Well they are cutting some weaker routes, and routes where it doesn't have a large presence on at least one end. Some of that cut capacity is being used to other large focus cities like BWI and MCO, but not all.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/70355-airp ... w-momentum
"Dallas-based Southwest is least likely to cut service in markets where it has a strong presence, a large customer base and strong customer loyalty, Southwest Airlines spokesman Chris Mainz said.

“Indianapolis is so strong. If anything, I think we probably view it as a growth market,” Mainz said."

However, DL and the addition of NK will provide enough growth:
This has been DL's growth over the last 6 months
DEC +11.5%
NOV +15.2%
DL +11.3%
SEP +14.8%
AUG +19.5%
JUL +14.9%
JUN +13.1%

AA will likely see a slight increase, while UA will shrink, and G4 will continue to see at least some marginal growth for most of the year.

I think UA will add some capacity to EWR over the summer, as they are running fewer seats than when WN was in the market.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:54 pm

https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... Report.pdf

January numbers
Total Passengers down -0.5%
Int'l Passengers up 120.6%

Total Cargo
0.0% growth

Market Share (YOY Jan pax difference) [Jan 2018 market share]
WN-30.7% (-4.9%) [32.4%]
DL-24.4% (+13.3%) [21.6%]
AA-22.8% (+0.1%) [22.7%]
UA-12.1% (-4.5%) [12.5%]
G4-4.8% (-4.9%) [4.9%]
F9-3.3% (-12.5%) [3.5%]
AS-1.2% (-32.6%) [1.6%]
AC-0.6% (+10.0%) [0.5%]

Bad month for everyone but DL, 7 straight months of double digit growth from them
Jan +13.3%
DEC +11.5%
NOV +15.2%
DL +11.3%
SEP +14.8%
AUG +19.5%
JUL +14.9%
JUN +13.1%
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
beerbus
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
jplatts wrote:
[quote="Midwestindy"
IND-BOS-73.3%-115 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $157-Yield-0.1924
BOS-IND-75.9%-116 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $160-Yield-0.1961

CMH-BOS-68.3%-101 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $169-Yield-0.2637
BOS-CMH-71.2%-103 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $172-Yield-0.2686


As noted by a couple of other readers-

What REALLY matters is Yield........

The CMH BOS Yield is 37% higher than IND BOS. That is a HUGE number. That number speaks volumes as to why IND BOS was axed by WN.

As I previously wrote, we made significant money at NW flying IND LGA N/S on DC 9 -30's with 50% load factors.

The load factor was meaningless to NW Route Planners, Regional Financial Analysts, and myself (Regional Marketing) because the HIGH yields generated a profit, despite lousy load factors. The gate agents would ask me "Oh! the load factory is lousy- are they going to remove the flights from the market?". I told them "heck no- it's a cash cow.."

So thanks for posting those numbers- because it made things crystal clear on why WN is dropping the IND BOS market.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:02 am

beerbus wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
jplatts wrote:
[quote="Midwestindy"
IND-BOS-73.3%-115 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $157-Yield-0.1924
BOS-IND-75.9%-116 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $160-Yield-0.1961

CMH-BOS-68.3%-101 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $169-Yield-0.2637
BOS-CMH-71.2%-103 Pax/flight-Avg WN n/s fare $172-Yield-0.2686


As noted by a couple of other readers-

What REALLY matters is Yield........

The CMH BOS Yield is 37% higher than IND BOS. That is a HUGE number. That number speaks volumes as to why IND BOS was axed by WN.

As I previously wrote, we made significant money at NW flying IND LGA N/S on DC 9 -30's with 50% load factors.

The load factor was meaningless to NW Route Planners, Regional Financial Analysts, and myself (Regional Marketing) because the HIGH yields generated a profit, despite lousy load factors. The gate agents would ask me "Oh! the load factory is lousy- are they going to remove the flights from the market?". I told them "heck no- it's a cash cow.."

So thanks for posting those numbers- because it made things crystal clear on why WN is dropping the IND BOS market.


Yep, while LF numbers are great and all, yield tells most of the story

--------------------

2018 Year in Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcuPvBxID9I

Highlights:
-Expect more flights and connectivity
-2:50 mark, FX facility will end up growing to nearly the size of the MEM facility
Image
Image
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:09 am

Doing my part to help the IND-CDG flight, work forked up $5k for IND-CDG-JFK round-trip

Flight went out above 80% full

Image
Image
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
jplatts
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:29 am

What are the load factors and yields like on WN IND-DAL nonstop service compared to MDW-DAL, CMH-DAL, DTW-DAL, MCI-DAL, OMA-DAL, and STL-DAL on WN?
 
User avatar
atypical
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:43 am

FYI on at least a part of FedEx IND expansion: https://bgabuilders.com/wp-content/uplo ... treach.pdf
 
Ahad56Rex
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:55 am

Midwestindy wrote:
https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/iaa-images/board-papers/2019-March-IAA-Board-Packet-WEBSITE.pdf

Shop proposals very impressed by the airport here:
Sun King Brewery-microbrewery concept-Concourse B

The Farmer’s Market- feature products that are endorsed by Indiana Grown, which is an Indiana Department of Agriculture branding initiative that encourages consumers to buy and eat local products. This 3,382 sq. ft. space will showcase Indiana products in a market setting with which takes passengers on a journey from Hoosier farms to tables-Concourse B

Side by side in Concourse A:
Bento Sushi- a concept which will offer fresh, made-to-order sushi, as well as grab and go sushi options
Bub’s Burgers-a locally owned and operated burger brand that is home to the Big Ugly, a 1.5-pound behemoth cheeseburger challenge that is famous for taking down food athletes across the country

Hot Box Pizza-Civic Plaza


Harry & Izzy's-This proposed Agreement with SSP will include a 1,697 sq. ft. expansion of the Harry & Izzy’s (H&I) concept in Concourse A. The existing H&I space is 3,450 sq. ft. and is set to expire on December 31, 2023. With this proposed expansion, SSP is requesting a new 10-year term for the overall 5,147 square foot location. To enhance the customer experience, the bar will be extended to include a raw bar featuring their famous shrimp cocktail with a wine display added to showcase the wide selection of wines available. SSP’s strategy in creating this larger space will allow for more seating capacity which translates into increased customer satisfaction and increased local brand presence with a potential for increased revenue to the Airport. In 2018, sales for the current location almost surpassed $5 million and was listed in Forbes magazine as one of the “6 Great Reasons to Visit America’s Most Underrated City Right Now. The intent is to elevate customer experience through expanding the bar presence, creating a cocktail sauce mixing station, offering a grab and go window and providing more seating for passengers.

Starbucks-HMS has proposed four (4) Starbucks locations, one in each of Concourse, one in Civic Plaza and one in Baggage Claim. The Starbucks in Baggage Claim will include a news and convenience component called, Circle City News.

Indiana Pacers Courtside Club-The Pacers Club concept will give visitors a “court-side” view of Civic Plaza and feature a menu inclusive of the Indiana Pacers player’s favorite dishes. The Pacers Club will showcase an interactive pop-a-shot basketball game and Indiana Pacer’s memorabilia that will introduce Pacers basketball to a whole new generation of travelers.

Circle City Beer Garden has been proposed as the microbrewery/craft beer tap room concept-This open concept will provide visitors a chance to sample Indiana-made craft beers with a menu that offers tapas and small appetizers featuring the famous local charcuterie company, Smoking Goose.

Tinker Coffee-Concourse B-Not much explained here....

Social Cantina-Concourse A-a sit-down Mexican cuisine concept. A brainchild of Indiana native Nathan Finney, Social Cantina features a tequila wall, salsa flights, 12 kinds of tacos and on-tap Margaritas. Passengers will be delighted to discover this concept that offers a twist on ordinary Mexican cuisine with authentic flavors found at the heart of the street fare style food served here. Social Cantina will be located at the end of Concourse A.

Stacked Pickle-Concourse A-Stacked Pickle was established in 2010 by former Indianapolis Colts player, Gary Brackett and offers a fully immersive sports environment, complete with multiple best cheap projectors and plasma TV’s which allows fans to view multiple games from all angles

Shake Shack-Concourse B-IND will feature the first Shake Shack in Indiana and will offer this popular roadside burger dining experience to delight passengers for the next ten years.

Ben’s Soft Pretzels-Concourse A and B-With unique flavor combinations and breakfast options served on their famous pretzel rolls, the addition of Ben’s will ensure that passengers “Have a Pretzel Day.”


Also seems that DL brought IND-MCO back to the B717, the A320 could potentially be added back later?
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Ahad56Rex wrote:
Also seems that DL brought IND-MCO back to the B717, the A320 could potentially be added back later?


I think I mentioned the switch back a little bit ago, but the initial change also corresponded with RDU-MCO going all A320 as well. Unfortunate that the change happened, since it seemed quite interesting.

Once RDU-MCO was switched back to mostly B717 so did IND-MCO, because the only way IND-MCO can get the A320 is if it is paired with RDU-MCO (unless they change the times on the IND-MCO flight). The way they route the planes is IND-MCO-RDU-XXX-RDU-MCO-IND since RDU and IND are the only routes with the B717 into MCO

Long story short, it will probably be added back in the next year.

atypical wrote:
FYI on at least a part of FedEx IND expansion: https://bgabuilders.com/wp-content/uplo ... treach.pdf


Interesting....good find:

https://bgabuilders.com/fedex-indianapolis-ob4-project/

"800,000-square-foot, two-story expansion of FedEx’s existing sort facility at Indianapolis International Airport. The project is a major component of FedEx’s seven-year, $1.5 billion plan to increase capacity at the Indianapolis location"
"The expansion will be connected to the existing sort facility by an enclosed, 350-foot-long connector bridge on the second level. In addition to sorting equipment, the facility will also include personnel and support facilities, including ramp agent offices, meeting rooms, cafeteria, mechanical and fire pump rooms, power substation, emergency generators, and a data center. The new building is designed to achieve LEED certification for new construction."

Image
Image
Image

Love the walkway.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
fedex1
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:06 pm

1.5 billion, and that is the expansion???
 
User avatar
zackary747
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:08 pm

fedex1 wrote:
1.5 billion, and that is the expansion???


That's only one portion of the total expansion. Remember the expansion is over a 7 year period.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr
 
fedex1
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:28 am

Do we have renderings... of phase 2- whatever of what the 1.5 billion could look like??
 
User avatar
zackary747
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:29 am

fedex1 wrote:
Do we have renderings... of phase 2- whatever of what the 1.5 billion could look like??


As far as I know (midwestindy might know more) we might have to wait to hear what the whole expansion will look like.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:05 pm

zackary747 wrote:
fedex1 wrote:
Do we have renderings... of phase 2- whatever of what the 1.5 billion could look like??


As far as I know (midwestindy might know more) we might have to wait to hear what the whole expansion will look like.


As far as I know, I don't even think FedEx has "everything" figured out yet.


It appears that:
UA is extending IND-IAD mainline to year-round starting Aug 20th, IND-DEN as well has mainline scheduled back to year-round
In October 5/7 UA IND-EWR flights will be E170
Surprised no mainline for ORD and EWR as of now, but I assume that could change.

DL will be adding a B738 to IND-ATL in August, and 2-4 B739/B738s for Labor Day week
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
atypical
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:07 am

Midwestindy wrote:
As far as I know, I don't even think FedEx has "everything" figured out yet.


I think you are right. They are currently performing an upgrade to the current sorting equipment, there is at least the additional building expansion, and the airport authority has stated that 25 more FDX cargo gates are going to be added. FedEx has also stated that current obsolete buildings at MEM will be demolished. Only those executives at FedEx know what the ultimate plans are for both MEM and IND however it isn't impossible that FedEx plans for more parity between the two hubs.
 
fedex1
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:10 pm

How many gates will Fedex have after the 25 get built at IND?
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 am

Btw, F9 extended their schedule recently and it appears they are moving the IND-LAS to depart at 11:14 PM! Which seems incredibly late....it could be that the gate might be needed during other times of the day.

IND got very lucky in TATL service, as they seemed to have missed out on the wave of TATL cuts so far, CLE is losing WW and FI, STL lost WW, CVG lost WW, PIT lost DL and WW, e.t.c
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
Shields
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:49 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:47 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Btw, F9 extended their schedule recently and it appears they are moving the IND-LAS to depart at 11:14 PM! Which seems incredibly late....it could be that the gate might be needed during other times of the day.

IND got very lucky in TATL service, as they seemed to have missed out on the wave of TATL cuts so far, CLE is losing WW and FI, STL lost WW, CVG lost WW, PIT lost DL and WW, e.t.c


I guess . . . but IND never had WW or FI service to begin with. So it is hard to say that IND got "lucky."
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:06 pm

You can't lose what you didn't have....neither WW or FI serve IND correct??
I am me and no one else
 
stlgph
Posts: 10974
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:22 pm

Getting lucky is a loose term.

They got lucky by ***NOT*** having Wow Air come in after the free money those running the IND airport want to hand out only to later pull out and then crapping all over the DL service to CDG and possibly having it go away, too.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:42 am

stlgph wrote:
Getting lucky is a loose term.

They got lucky by ***NOT*** having Wow Air come in after the free money those running the IND airport want to hand out only to later pull out and then crapping all over the DL service to CDG and possibly having it go away, too.


Sorry, I just don't see DL dropping IND-CDG in the near future, at worst they would probably just reduce it to Summer only. IND is a pretty lucrative market for DL, and I don't think they would want to jeopardize that...

If they were to drop it, I would think the airport/state would find a suitor like BA or EI in a timely manner.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
joeblow10
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:09 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Btw, F9 extended their schedule recently and it appears they are moving the IND-LAS to depart at 11:14 PM! Which seems incredibly late....it could be that the gate might be needed during other times of the day.

IND got very lucky in TATL service, as they seemed to have missed out on the wave of TATL cuts so far, CLE is losing WW and FI, STL lost WW, CVG lost WW, PIT lost DL and WW, e.t.c


I mean it still gets in at or just after midnight (if ontime, which I’ll admit is a stretch that late in the day). They’re running RDU-PHX right now and it also leaves just before 11:30p arriving at 1:15a but it was arriving at 2:15a before the time change. Now that’s awful timing...
 
stlgph
Posts: 10974
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:37 am

Midwestindy wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Getting lucky is a loose term.

They got lucky by ***NOT*** having Wow Air come in after the free money those running the IND airport want to hand out only to later pull out and then crapping all over the DL service to CDG and possibly having it go away, too.


Sorry, I just don't see DL dropping IND-CDG in the near future, at worst they would probably just reduce it to Summer only. IND is a pretty lucrative market for DL, and I don't think they would want to jeopardize that...

If they were to drop it, I would think the airport/state would find a suitor like BA or EI in a timely manner.


not what i was getting at.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
kindeham
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Sorry, I just don't see DL dropping IND-CDG in the near future, at worst they would probably just reduce it to Summer only. IND is a pretty lucrative market for DL, and I don't think they would want to jeopardize that...

If they were to drop it, I would think the airport/state would find a suitor like BA or EI in a timely manner.


I see what he was getting at (if there was another player in the market it *might* have fauled the water for DL). There is no way they get rid of the flight having cornered the market themselves. I know it's spring break time, but IND-CDG has been going out quite full lately and I suspect this summer is going to be great.
 
Moosefire
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:44 pm

fedex1 wrote:
How many gates will Fedex have after the 25 get built at IND?


At present there’s roughly 65 FedEx gates, though that number is always changing. So guessing approx 90 after this phase of expansion
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:06 am

I am flying RDU-DTW-IND tonight. I have to say I am disappointed that DTW lets people push a button to temporarily suspend the tunnel light show.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:20 am

Indy wrote:
I am flying RDU-DTW-IND tonight. I have to say I am disappointed that DTW lets people push a button to temporarily suspend the tunnel light show.


Slightly off topic, but the flight time changes on DL IND-RDU are a killer. The moving of the 6 or 7am IND-RDU departure to noon is not ideal, plus the latest RDU-IND flight leaves 3:05PM. Makes it very difficult to chose DL on this route, so I have been going with AA recently. It could be to boost connections through ATL, or to feed the CDG flights, but either way it is inconvenient.

AA has a similar problem with their LGA schedules, which makes DL much more convenient, but those are different circumstances....
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
TimeForFlight
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2000 6:36 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Indy wrote:
I am flying RDU-DTW-IND tonight. I have to say I am disappointed that DTW lets people push a button to temporarily suspend the tunnel light show.


They do it for very good reason. There are a number of medical and psychological reasons (e.g. claustrophobia) somebody might need to turn it off. I'd much prefer they turn the show off for 5 minutes than risk their health and comfort (and the comfort of those around them), especially considering how many people are infrequent and nervous fliers. But I don't think you have to worry. With dozens of connections each year, I've never seen the light show suspended.
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 pm

TimeForFlight wrote:
Indy wrote:
I am flying RDU-DTW-IND tonight. I have to say I am disappointed that DTW lets people push a button to temporarily suspend the tunnel light show.


They do it for very good reason. There are a number of medical and psychological reasons (e.g. claustrophobia) somebody might need to turn it off. I'd much prefer they turn the show off for 5 minutes than risk their health and comfort (and the comfort of those around them), especially considering how many people are infrequent and nervous fliers. But I don't think you have to worry. With dozens of connections each year, I've never seen the light show suspended.


I took my girlfriend through the tunnel to see the show and it was suspended twice while we were down there.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
TimeForFlight
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2000 6:36 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:46 pm

Indy wrote:
TimeForFlight wrote:
Indy wrote:
I am flying RDU-DTW-IND tonight. I have to say I am disappointed that DTW lets people push a button to temporarily suspend the tunnel light show.


They do it for very good reason. There are a number of medical and psychological reasons (e.g. claustrophobia) somebody might need to turn it off. I'd much prefer they turn the show off for 5 minutes than risk their health and comfort (and the comfort of those around them), especially considering how many people are infrequent and nervous fliers. But I don't think you have to worry. With dozens of connections each year, I've never seen the light show suspended.


I took my girlfriend through the tunnel to see the show and it was suspended twice while we were down there.



Did you wait 5 minutes?
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:37 pm

We stood down there for a little while and then went from one end to another. After the show had been paused, it resumed for a few seconds before someone shut it off again. Eventually we did get to see the show. Did they change it up a bit? It seems now the music is synced up to oldies.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:22 pm

https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... _FINAL.pdf

February numbers
Feb '18 to Feb '19 pax (+2.4%)
int'l up (158.1%)

AS (-46.5%)
SY (+836.7%)
G4 (-2.8%)
AA (+2.4%)
DL (+10.7%)
F9 (-7.8%)
WN (+0.0%)
UA (+4.7%)

WN down to 30.9% Market Share
8 straight months of double digit growth from Delta
Feb +10.7%
Jan +13.3%
DEC +11.5%
NOV +15.2%
DL +11.3%
SEP +14.8%
AUG +19.5%
JUL +14.9%
JUN +13.1%

Surprised UA and WN are flat/slightly up. March will be a more solid with growth from most carriers plus NK
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
zackary747
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:21 pm

This mornings Spirit flight from LAS got stuck in the grass.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 17

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos