N292UX

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 am

Saw a UA 753 approaching IND from LAX a few hours ago. Not sure what the specific event going on in Indy is, considering UA doesn't even fly LAX-IND.

Here's the flight:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /KLAX/KIND

zackary747

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:35 am

N292UX wrote:
Saw a UA 753 approaching IND from LAX a few hours ago. Not sure what the specific event going on in Indy is, considering UA doesn't even fly LAX-IND.

Here's the flight:

There were some ORD weather diversions earlier I believe.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr

N292UX

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:39 am

zackary747 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Here's the flight:

There were some ORD weather diversions earlier I believe.

That appears to be the case. There was also another UA 753 from LAX that diverted there, along with some AA 738s from SJD and PVR, and an AS A320 from LAX.

Indy

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:48 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Looks like G4 is gearing up for scheduled Mexico service, would like to see IND-CUN + maybe PVR or SJD. Who knows maybe they will be the ones to add IND-MEX.....

What makes you say they are gearing up for Mexico service?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Runway28L

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 am

Indy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Looks like G4 is gearing up for scheduled Mexico service, would like to see IND-CUN + maybe PVR or SJD. Who knows maybe they will be the ones to add IND-MEX.....

G4 submitted an application to the DOT requesting approval to start service.

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0067-0001
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

Midwestindy

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:50 am

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

If they add IND-MEX they better not get any incentive money. I can't support using that money for ULCC service.

stlgph wrote:
Cant discriminate

https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... EBSITE.pdf

According to the airports incentive policy, they don't discriminate based on ULCCs and FSCs. Although, they probably wouldn't get any of the Governor approved airline incentive money the state of Indiana just adopted.

Indy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

It looks like IAA is spying on this forum :white: (hi to those IAA employees reading this). A few months ago I came across a presentation that explained what IND had accomplished at Routes Americas in 2018, however I am assuming this wasn't supposed to be public information since the prezi has since been taken down and deleted. However, here were the findings:
Midwestindy wrote:
https://prezi.com/z3uuw-l9rglv/as-update-commercial-enterprise/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy
From Last year, Routes Americas 2018

Major news
16+ meetings over

IND market updates
Route performance
Tourism news
Airport updates

"Overall, all airlines very happy, making $$
Delta SLC will be extended year round
Delta replacing all 50 seat aircraft with 70 seater aircraft at IND
Allegiant wants to add international service
Mexico City potential
"
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

ilive4planes

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:25 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

If they add IND-MEX they better not get any incentive money. I can't support using that money for ULCC service.

stlgph wrote:
Cant discriminate

According to the airports incentive policy, they don't discriminate based on ULCCs and FSCs. Although, they probably wouldn't get any of the Governor approved airline incentive money the state of Indiana just adopted.

Indy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

It looks like IAA is spying on this forum :white: (hi to those IAA employees reading this). A few months ago I came across a presentation that explained what IND had accomplished at Routes Americas in 2018, however I am assuming this wasn't supposed to be public information since the prezi has since been taken down and deleted. However, here were the findings:
Midwestindy wrote:
https://prezi.com/z3uuw-l9rglv/as-update-commercial-enterprise/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy

Major news
16+ meetings over

IND market updates
Route performance
Tourism news
Airport updates

Mexico City potential
"

I think it's interesting in that board packet from June 2017 they mention JetBlue focus city with 6 destinations?

Midwestindy

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:07 pm

G4 basically confirmed it will be flying IND-Mexico yesterday in their investor call...

We're already flying charter work to Mexico. So operationally, it's not a leap to get from here to there. We're going to be selling in the same markets, we're already selling in. (already operating charter work)

So, and the nice thing where we're at now is we have most of them with customs access so we can do nonstop service, which is important. So, you're taking maybe an Indy, Cincinnati, and Pit (Pittsburgh), all these places where we're already at, it's just not a big leap to think that we can kind of sell that product.

ilive4planes wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

stlgph wrote:
Cant discriminate

Indy wrote:

Midwestindy wrote:

Major news
16+ meetings over

IND market updates
Route performance
Tourism news
Airport updates

Mexico City potential
"

I think it's interesting in that board packet from June 2017 they mention JetBlue focus city with 6 destinations?

IND would be lucky to get more than 2 destinations for B6 right out of the gate

N292UX

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:39 am

I saw a C-5 on approach to IND at ~7:30 tonight. Not sure why it's here. Maybe something to do with the Indy 500?

SumChristianus

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:09 am

N292UX wrote:
I saw a C-5 on approach to IND at ~7:30 tonight. Not sure why it's here. Maybe something to do with the Indy 500?

Isn't Trump speaking at the NRA convention?: https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2019 ... t-the-nra/

Probably part of the guard detachment

Is that a big convention, though. Not sure if it brings that much air traffic.
UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-ATL-DEN: WN 73G/738
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

Midwestindy

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:11 am

SumChristianus wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Isn't Trump speaking at the NRA convention?: https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2019 ... t-the-nra/

Probably part of the guard detachment

70,000-80,000 attendees, so yeah, pretty big

SumChristianus

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:14 am

Midwestindy wrote:
IND would be lucky to get more than 2 destinations for B6 right out of the gate

I assume it was just a demonstration scenario with no bearing on insider news. I highly doubt we'd ever see B6 to MBJ, AUS, or SJU.

GSOtoIND wrote:
UA is adding an extra IND-SFO flight for the NRA convention and an extra E175 to IAH
It looks like UA are doing better in October as well:
5/7 IND-EWR flights are E70/E75
IND-IAD has 2xE75 and 1xA319

SumChristianus wrote:

Ohh wait never mind on this comment

Midwestindy wrote:
October will see some insane growth for DL, it looks like October seats are scheduled to increase 26%.

IND-SLC B738 is extended through October
IND-RDU CR9 is added through October
IND-BOS extra frequency YOY + E175 added
IND-JFK extra frequency YOY
IND-ATL 5xMD88 upguaged to 3xB739 and 2xB738
IND-MSP all mainline, B739 added
IND-MCO YOY upguage to mainline
IND-DTW increase in 76 seaters

26%, this makes IND probably near the top of their fastest growing stations, right?
Do you think DL growth here is enough to make up for WN shrinkage?
UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-ATL-DEN: WN 73G/738
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

Midwestindy

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:43 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
October will see some insane growth for DL, it looks like October seats are scheduled to increase 26%.

IND-SLC B738 is extended through October
IND-RDU CR9 is added through October
IND-BOS extra frequency YOY + E175 added
IND-JFK extra frequency YOY
IND-ATL 5xMD88 upguaged to 3xB739 and 2xB738
IND-MSP all mainline, B739 added
IND-MCO YOY upguage to mainline
IND-DTW increase in 76 seaters

26%, this makes IND probably near the top of their fastest growing stations, right?
Do you think DL growth here is enough to make up for WN shrinkage?

1. DL is growing insanely fast
Feb +10.7%
Jan +13.3%
DEC +11.5%
NOV +15.2%
OCT +11.3%
SEP +14.8%
AUG +19.5%
JUL +14.9%
JUN +13.1%

It's quite impressive compared to where they were in 2017, and I don't see it stopping anytime soon given the yields, current trajectory, and how profitable IND is for DL

Also interesting to see how connections are now being opened up from RSW, MIA, SEA, e.t.c through IND, you don't see that often so I think it is quite meaningful

2. Probably not during the summer, but NK might be able to plug the difference. Once September and October hit though, DL will be able to make up the difference more easily, depending on LFs.

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Something interesting I noticed was that IND-ORD and IND-IAH are getting the new ExpressJet E175s in August-September

Given how premium heavy the ExpressJet configuration is (F:12,Y+:28, Y: 30), there is likely a good chance IND gets the CRJ550 fairly soon after they are delivered:

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:08 pm

1 more for the Weekend, DL is adding 2 off IND-LAS B738 flights for CES in January

ibthebigd

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
1 more for the Weekend, DL is adding 2 off IND-LAS B738 flights for CES in January
I wish DL would make LAS a focus city like MCO. I would gladly pick LAS over any hub to connect in the winter given the option.

I try to fly WN because of the "focus cities" in LAS and PHX

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tphuang

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:56 am

ibthebigd wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
I wish DL would make LAS a focus city like MCO. I would gladly pick LAS over any hub to connect in the winter given the option.

Delta would really hurt on a move like that given that NK and WN is entering a war there. Even now, they are struggling on the couple of non-hub LAS routes they fly. If anything, DL should make IND a real focus city.

Midwestindy

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:48 pm

tphuang wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Delta would really hurt on a move like that given that NK and WN is entering a war there. Even now, they are struggling on the couple of non-hub LAS routes they fly. If anything, DL should make IND a real focus city.

Not going to lie, I think that would be interesting to see, considering LAS already has a few likely onward connections on DL. They already run LAS-SAN/SJC/SNA, which is a good start, but it would be nice to have a Full-Service Carrier running IND-LAS, CMH-LAS, BNA-LAS, e.t.c

I think WN was a road block in the way of DL expanding too much in IND, now I think IND-BOS/NYC/AUS/WAS/Florida/e.t.c are areas they will target for growth (or continue growth). If the TATL flight does well in its second year, they will double down on their IND presence, if not they will target growth elsewhere.

ilive4planes

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
tphuang wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:

Not going to lie, I think that would be interesting to see, considering LAS already has a few likely onward connections on DL. They already run LAS-SAN/SJC/SNA, which is a good start, but it would be nice to have a Full-Service Carrier running IND-LAS, CMH-LAS, BNA-LAS, e.t.c

I think WN was a road block in the way of DL expanding too much in IND, now I think IND-BOS/NYC/AUS/WAS/Florida/e.t.c are areas they will target for growth (or continue growth). If the TATL flight does well in its second year, they will double down on their IND presence, if not they will target growth elsewhere.

By Double Down does that mean more growth?

zakuivcustom

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Something interesting I noticed was that IND-ORD and IND-IAH are getting the new ExpressJet E175s in August-September

Given how premium heavy the ExpressJet configuration is (F:12,Y+:28, Y: 30), there is likely a good chance IND gets the CRJ550 fairly soon after they are delivered:

That's way more premium than even the day (circa 2016-2017 IIRC) when it seems like every single flights on IND-ORD is on Republic's E70 :shock: (Only to get switch to those crappy CR2 of Air Wisconsin, of course...).

But then, even with 6 F's seats on those E70, I got upgraded as a *A Silver a few times, not that it make much difference on that 30mins flight. :white:

Midwestindy

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:34 pm

ilive4planes wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
tphuang wrote:

By Double Down does that mean more growth?

Yes

zakuivcustom wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

That's way more premium than even the day (circa 2016-2017 IIRC) when it seems like every single flights on IND-ORD is on Republic's E70 :shock: (Only to get switch to those crappy CR2 of Air Wisconsin, of course...).

But then, even with 6 F's seats on those E70, I got upgraded as a *A Silver a few times, not that it make much difference on that 30mins flight. :white:

IND-ORD is about to be upgrade central :spin: No way they can regularly fill 40 premium seats with regularity from IND....

zakuivcustom

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
IND-ORD is about to be upgrade central No way they can regularly fill 40 premium seats with regularity from IND....

From my experience those Y+ seats usually get filled with people holding Y tickets but doesn't have a seat assignment even now anyway :spin:

On another side note - IND-ORD and IND-IAH are probably the two UA sector that I flew the most anyway (ORD to connect to flight to HKG, IAH b/c my family lives down there), so the upgrade is definitely VERY welcome. :spin: :spin:

airboss787

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:35 pm

First post on the site. Been a fan for a long time. Student, based currently in Indianapolis so enjoy this thread a lot.

Browsing around FR24, there seem to be quite a few flights to Midway diverting to or circling around IND. I see WN483 (BNA-MDW), WN217 (BNA-MDW), WN2054 (ATL-MDW) circling and DL1766 (ATL-MDW) and WN982 (TPA-MDW) that are diverting. Bad weather again? Google just shows rain, is it that bad?
Star Alliance Gold

Midwestindy

Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm

G4 extended its schedule today through February:

Total Departures Dec 18-->Dec 19
IND-AUS=11-->11
IND-JAX=10-->11
IND-LAS=12-->9
IND-SRQ=12-->14
IND-PGD=27-->26
IND-FLL=16-->17
IND-PIE=25-->26
IND-SFB=13-->21

January is almost exactly the same as last year

During the Christmas holiday
IND-PGD goes up to 8x weekly
IND-SFB goes daily
IND-PIE stays daily
IND-FLL goes up to 5x weekly
IND-SRQ goes up to 4x weekly

IND-PGD/SFB/PIE/LAS/MYR are routes to watch, now that NK has entered the game

airboss787 wrote:
First post on the site. Been a fan for a long time. Student, based currently in Indianapolis so enjoy this thread a lot.

Browsing around FR24, there seem to be quite a few flights to Midway diverting to or circling around IND. I see WN483 (BNA-MDW), WN217 (BNA-MDW), WN2054 (ATL-MDW) circling and DL1766 (ATL-MDW) and WN982 (TPA-MDW) that are diverting. Bad weather again? Google just shows rain, is it that bad?

Welcome to the forum,

This time of year it isn't uncommon for this to happen (thunderstorm season), the air space up there is just so much more crowded.

Midwestindy

Sat May 04, 2019 5:04 pm

UA made amends for their IND-SFO change:
They are upguaging IND-SFO to the B738 from November-October, plus keeping IND-DEN 2x mainline (A320/B738), and keeping IND-DEN 1x mainline (A320)

Also I find it interesting that DL is still listing IND-CDG as daily in November, I doubt it will stay that way, but they are sure taking a while to edit it.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/73617-grou ... mmer-fares
Interesting article that will definitely impact IND this summer

zackary747

Sat May 04, 2019 5:26 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
They are upguaging IND-SFO to the B738 from November-October, plus keeping IND-DEN 2x mainline (A320/B738), and keeping IND-DEN 1x mainline (A320)

Also I find it interesting that DL is still listing IND-CDG as daily in November, I doubt it will stay that way, but they are sure taking a while to edit it.

That might explain why the Southwest fares to MCO in June were so sky high. I opted to fly down with Frontier and fly back connecting in DCA on American. Flying out on a Sunday resulted in the connecting flight with AA to be cheaper than the nonstop Spirit flight. I only paid 260 RT and I get to fly into DCA again, so I am happy.

Midwestindy

Sun May 05, 2019 11:38 am

Update on IND-CDG, the State of Indiana has given DL $3,023,405 out of the possible $5.5 million through March
https://secure.in.gov/apps/iedc/transpa ... 5056b34823
Also LFs have been improving on IND-CDG

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

That might explain why the Southwest fares to MCO in June were so sky high. I opted to fly down with Frontier and fly back connecting in DCA on American. Flying out on a Sunday resulted in the connecting flight with AA to be cheaper than the nonstop Spirit flight. I only paid 260 RT and I get to fly into DCA again, so I am happy.

Yeah I just booked a flight from BDL to MCO in June and WN was more expensive than AA/DL/B6/e.t.c. I'm guessing fewer planes for WN means more full planes, and as a result higher fares....

It's going to be an interesting summer without WN keeping a check on fares to NYC, BOS, Bay Area, e.t.c

Midwestindy

Sun May 05, 2019 11:55 pm

https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... nts-FS.pdf

"Looking Forward"

At the end of 2018, the IAA staff completed the five-year Air Service Strategy. In Q4, the strategy was
presented to and approved by the Air Service Task Force Executive Committee. The Committee includes
representatives from IEDC, Visit Indy and the Indy Chamber. The strategy considers a myriad of factors
including passenger demand, costs, airline strategy, industry trends, local and global economies amongst
others.

The strategy identifies two-year and five-year targets including both domestic and international markets
as well as domestic and international airlines. Short term market goals include Mexico (SJD?), Canada (YUL?, YVR?), West
Coast U.S. markets (PDX?), short haul drive markets (BNA, STL, MEM, MKE?) and domestic airlines (B6?, SY?). Long term markets include Asia,
Europe and international airlines.
The strategy outlines opportunities of implementation with emphasis
on data collection and airline engagement. Action items include working with local partners to continue
market research, visiting airline headquarters, hosting airlines in Indianapolis, and attending and hosting
networking planning conferences.

The world’s most prominent network planning conference, Routes Americas, recently selected
Indianapolis as the host of the February 2020 conference after a highly competitive bid process. Routes
Americas will bring 1,000+ airport and airline decision makers to Indianapolis, providing unparalleled
exposure of Central Indiana to key airline decision makers. The successful bid for Routes Americas 2020
is one example of the elevated and focused approach by which IAA aims to execute the five-year strategy.
In addition to bringing air service influencers to Indy in 2020 through Routes Americas, there are
approximately 14 different major sporting events that will occur in Indiana over the next 5 years
providing great opportunity to host airline decision makers in Indianapolis.

ilive4planes

Mon May 06, 2019 2:32 am

Midwestindy wrote:
https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/iaa-images/reports/12-2018-Audited-Financial-Statements-FS.pdf

"Looking Forward"

At the end of 2018, the IAA staff completed the five-year Air Service Strategy. In Q4, the strategy was
presented to and approved by the Air Service Task Force Executive Committee. The Committee includes
representatives from IEDC, Visit Indy and the Indy Chamber. The strategy considers a myriad of factors
including passenger demand, costs, airline strategy, industry trends, local and global economies amongst
others.

The strategy identifies two-year and five-year targets including both domestic and international markets
as well as domestic and international airlines. Short term market goals include Mexico (SJD?), Canada (YUL?, YVR?), West
Coast U.S. markets (PDX?), short haul drive markets (BNA, STL, MEM, MKE?) and domestic airlines (B6?, SY?). Long term markets include Asia,
on data collection and airline engagement. Action items include working with local partners to continue
market research, visiting airline headquarters, hosting airlines in Indianapolis, and attending and hosting

The world’s most prominent network planning conference, Routes Americas, recently selected
Indianapolis as the host of the February 2020 conference after a highly competitive bid process. Routes
Americas will bring 1,000+ airport and airline decision makers to Indianapolis, providing unparalleled
exposure of Central Indiana to key airline decision makers. The successful bid for Routes Americas 2020
is one example of the elevated and focused approach by which IAA aims to execute the five-year strategy.
In addition to bringing air service influencers to Indy in 2020 through Routes Americas, there are
approximately 14 different major sporting events that will occur in Indiana over the next 5 years

Should IND be expecting any new announcements within the next three months?

stlgph

Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 am

By the way the Indianapolis Airport leadership talks about itself and all these fantastic grandiose plans, you'd think the place was named Dubai World Central.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Midwestindy

Mon May 06, 2019 3:03 am

ilive4planes wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/iaa-images/reports/12-2018-Audited-Financial-Statements-FS.pdf

"Looking Forward"

others.

Wouldn't surprise me, F9 usually announces something mid-summer, there may be some G4 news later on as well, and WN has a schedule extension later this month(don't expect much from that)

IND-STL/BNA and B6/SY news seems to be on the back-burner lately, but all of these are possibilities

Also, they will probably do something for the 1 year anniversary of IND-CDG in a few weeks.

stlgph wrote:
By the way the Indianapolis Airport leadership talks about itself and all these fantastic grandiose plans, you'd think the place was named Dubai World Central.

Canada, Mexico, and additional Europe service are not unreasonable targets, talking 2-5 years down the road.

jplatts

Mon May 06, 2019 3:23 am

ilive4planes wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
West Coast U.S. markets (PDX?)

AS adding IND-PDX nonstop service might happen since (a) AS already serves PDX nonstop from ORD, MCI, MSP, and OMA in the Midwest on at least a seasonal basis and (b) PDX is one of the top domestic destinations traveled to from IND that isn't currently served nonstop from IND.

ATAIndy

Mon May 06, 2019 6:49 pm

jplatts wrote:
AS adding IND-PDX nonstop service might happen since (a) AS already serves PDX nonstop from ORD, MCI, MSP, and OMA in the Midwest on at least a seasonal basis and (b) PDX is one of the top domestic destinations traveled to from IND that isn't currently served nonstop from IND.

Expect an AS announcement in 2019, most likely a return to SFO.
Boiler up!

zackary747

Mon May 06, 2019 8:02 pm

ATAIndy wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Expect an AS announcement in 2019, most likely a return to SFO.

Where did you hear this from?

fedex1

Tue May 07, 2019 4:14 am

Why would DL not pick up PDX from IND?

Midwestindy

Tue May 07, 2019 11:38 am

fedex1 wrote:
Why would DL not pick up PDX from IND?

DL doesn't even fly PDX-BOS/RDU/CVG, which would be expected before IND. However, DL captures a significant amount of the current travel between IND-PDX. So, if DL were to open up more p2p routes from IND, I would expect IND-PDX to be high on the list behind IND-TPA/FLL/MSY/AUS

indygs

Tue May 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Update on IND-CDG, the State of Indiana has given DL $3,023,405 out of the possible $5.5 million through March

Will be interesting to see what happens in late October (or before) when the agreement stipulates DL will need to inform the state if they choose to suspend service between Jan 1--Mar 31, 2020. Hopefully advance bookings and this summer's LF's will climb high enough to make it worthwhile to continue the service. I don't claim to have any insider knowledge, but should service continue for those three months without an additional subsidy provided by the state, I would venture to say that's a good sign for the route.

Midwestindy

Tue May 07, 2019 7:40 pm

indygs wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Will be interesting to see what happens in late October (or before) when the agreement stipulates DL will need to inform the state if they choose to suspend service between Jan 1--Mar 31, 2020. Hopefully advance bookings and this summer's LF's will climb high enough to make it worthwhile to continue the service. I don't claim to have any insider knowledge, but should service continue for those three months without an additional subsidy provided by the state, I would venture to say that's a good sign for the route.

I agree, but if DL doesn't fly IND-CDG from Jan-Mar and ends up keeping it from Apr-Dec, I'd consider that pretty solid.

Ultimately, I think DL will do what makes them the most money in the long-run + what keeps their IND passengers loyal to skyteam. If they at least keep daily service from May-August, that will be enough to temporarily keep BA away.

Call me crazy, but I think DL is willing to give the route some time to develop. IND has the most destinations on DL (outside of their hubs/focus cities/MCO), and DL has pumped massive growth into the market in the past year, not to mention it is one of their highest yielding stations. So I wouldn't be too worried even if they drop Jan-March

kindeham

Tue May 07, 2019 7:42 pm

indygs wrote:

Second week of January through the end of February was pretty bad, however that's typical for most transatlantic routes. In order to drop IND they would need to be able to put that aircraft on a route that is more profitable, albeit only for 2 months? Doubt that will happen. Early January and March were quite full (especially mid to late March).

Indy

Tue May 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Not to mention the significant cargo in the belly.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

indygs

Wed May 08, 2019 12:43 am

Midwestindy wrote:
indygs wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I agree, but if DL doesn't fly IND-CDG from Jan-Mar and ends up keeping it from Apr-Dec, I'd consider that pretty solid.

Ultimately, I think DL will do what makes them the most money in the long-run + what keeps their IND passengers loyal to skyteam. If they at least keep daily service from May-August, that will be enough to temporarily keep BA away.

Call me crazy, but I think DL is willing to give the route some time to develop. IND has the most destinations on DL (outside of their hubs/focus cities/MCO), and DL has pumped massive growth into the market in the past year, not to mention it is one of their highest yielding stations. So I wouldn't be too worried even if they drop Jan-March

Totally agree with this. My only thought is it would be a big feather in IND's cap as they try to lure more routes if they can somehow maintain year-round (albeit 3X a week) service. It sounds a bit silly, but if you can market yourself as an airport with year-round non-stop TATL service, that sure does sound better than seasonal!

Midwestindy

Thu May 09, 2019 3:29 pm

https://www.ind.com/about/media/media-r ... er-traffic
https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... 0509093006

Biggest month in IAA history

Total March pax up 3.8%
YTD up 2.1%

For March
AS -40.5% (SFO dropped)
NK +100.0% (+MCO/LAS)
AC -4.4% (Slight impact from CDG, I'm assuming)
G4 +18.0% (Higher LFs, higher frequencies)
AA +3.2% (More mainline)
DL +14.6% (CDG/SEA, more mainline, higher LF)
F9 -17.7% (Frequency down to DEN, plus drop of TPA)
WN -1.9% (EWR, LAX, and other cuts)
UA -2.8% (Mainline down)

10 straight months of double digit growth from DL
Mar +14.6%
Feb +10.7%
Jan +13.3%
DEC +11.5%
NOV +15.2%
OCT +11.3%
SEP +14.8%
AUG +19.5%
JUL +14.9%
JUN +13.1%

Estimated LFs on Spirit's outbound flights appear to be above 88% for LAS and MCO combined, assuming I did the math correctly

indygs

Thu May 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Great to see. Here's hoping DL sees value in adding a few more nonstops out of IND given these successes.

That brings me to a point of wonder. When DL went to RDU or BOS or SEA and decided to significantly increase service (not saying the same is warranted here), did they have this kind of growth in their sails before doing so, or were they playing catch-up (to AA in RDU, B6 in BOS and AS in SEA) and wanting to claim more of the market?

I suppose I could see how this kind of growth could either a) affirm the network and destinations they have in place and not want to mess with it significantly or b) give them reason to believe that if they added underserved markets from IND, it wouldn't cut the arm off of their connecting traffic.

EMB170

Thu May 09, 2019 4:36 pm

Is the reason DL is moving 5x of its MD88 flights on IND-ATL simply because they're drawing down the MD88 fleet and need to replace with what's available...namely the 737-800/900?
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

Midwestindy

Thu May 09, 2019 5:33 pm

indygs wrote:
Great to see. Here's hoping DL sees value in adding a few more nonstops out of IND given these successes.

That brings me to a point of wonder. When DL went to RDU or BOS or SEA and decided to significantly increase service (not saying the same is warranted here), did they have this kind of growth in their sails before doing so, or were they playing catch-up (to AA in RDU, B6 in BOS and AS in SEA) and wanting to claim more of the market?

I suppose I could see how this kind of growth could either a) affirm the network and destinations they have in place and not want to mess with it significantly or b) give them reason to believe that if they added underserved markets from IND, it wouldn't cut the arm off of their connecting traffic.

I believe DL at RDU was similar to IND initially, they announced RDU-CDG and then 1-2 years later they had a big p2p expansion. BOS/SEA were a little different since they inherited some int'l ops from NW, but both had int'l flights in place then the US route network grew from there.

I would go with the latter in terms of giving them a reason to add underserved markets. If they were truely focused on status quo(paraphrasing) you wouldn't see them doing the things they are doing with IND to MCO, CDG, RSW, MIA, e.t.c.

In addition, the language used about IND by Delta and the airport is similar to the language that was being used before RDU became an official focus city

EMB170 wrote:
Is the reason DL is moving 5x of its MD88 flights on IND-ATL simply because they're drawing down the MD88 fleet and need to replace with what's available...namely the 737-800/900?

Yep, virtually every other midwest market is getting some sort of A321/B739/B738 mix once fall hits

indygs

Thu May 09, 2019 6:26 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
indygs wrote:

I believe DL at RDU was similar to IND initially, they announced RDU-CDG and then 1-2 years later they had a big p2p expansion. BOS/SEA were a little different since they inherited some int'l ops from NW, but both had int'l flights in place then the US route network grew from there.

I would go with the latter in terms of giving them a reason to add underserved markets. If they were truely focused on status quo(paraphrasing) you wouldn't see them doing the things they are doing with IND to MCO, CDG, RSW, MIA, e.t.c.

In addition, the language used about IND by Delta and the airport is similar to the language that was being used before RDU became an official focus city

Yeah, good point. What I find fascinating is the addition or increases of most routes from DL in IND with the exception of CDG have been largely leisure markets. Given it is one of the more higher yielding stations for DL, I'd think markets such as BDL, AUS, DCA (if you picked up more slots) for instance, would be more appealing than the additions like MCO, MIA, etc. Would love to be a fly on the wall when discussions around these lines are had in ATL just to better understand some of the variables that come in to play when making these types of decisions.

Midwestindy

Fri May 10, 2019 2:11 am

indygs wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
indygs wrote:

Yeah, good point. What I find fascinating is the addition or increases of most routes from DL in IND with the exception of CDG have been largely leisure markets. Given it is one of the more higher yielding stations for DL, I'd think markets such as BDL, AUS, DCA (if you picked up more slots) for instance, would be more appealing than the additions like MCO, MIA, etc. Would love to be a fly on the wall when discussions around these lines are had in ATL just to better understand some of the variables that come in to play when making these types of decisions.

I think leisure routes are easier to start because they don't require negotiating corporate contracts and they also help the airline build loyalty in the leisure segment. FFs need places to burn their miles. In other words, adding leisure routes helps keep the FF's happy. If you look at other airports that have a large FF base you can see similar patterns.

CLE: Large UA FF base, and still has service to FLL, TPA, MCO, CUN, e.t.c
IND: Large DL FF base, and still has service to MIA, RSW, and MCO
CMH: Large DL FF base, and still has service to MIA, RSW, and MCO
e.t.c

If they didn't offer these destinations FFs would potentially defect to WN

It's an interesting dynamic, and I think there isn't a right answer

beerbus

Fri May 10, 2019 2:29 am

Midwestindy wrote:
I think leisure routes are easier to start because they don't require negotiating corporate contracts and they also help the airline build loyalty in the leisure segment. FFs need places to burn their miles. In other words, adding leisure routes helps keep the FF's happy. If you look at other airports that have a large FF base you can see similar patterns.

I would suggest that corporate flights are easier to start from a route planners decision matrix.

1. They command higher RASM vs low yield vacation markets.
2. Higher RASM means a lower L/F is needed to break even.
3. There is a lesser chance of competing against the likes of NK, etc in their low-RASM generated environment.
4. Additional corporate flights aid to the scale of service that helps fill-out the the route structure needed for comprehensive corporate contracts. For example- a corporate travel manager wants to sign a contract with a carrier that services as many of their top markets a possible. New flights to business markets add to the desirability of a potential contract.
5. There is less seasonality on high-yield corporate markets.

At the US3, a route planner is trying to maximize the return on capital invested in expensive new assets like A321's and 737-900's. The easiest way to do that for UA, AA, and DL is add new business markets.

It is a very complex issue-

Midwestindy

Fri May 10, 2019 5:09 am

beerbus wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I would suggest that corporate flights are easier to start from a route planners decision matrix.

1. They command higher RASM vs low yield vacation markets.
2. Higher RASM means a lower L/F is needed to break even.
3. There is a lesser chance of competing against the likes of NK, etc in their low-RASM generated environment.
4. Additional corporate flights aid to the scale of service that helps fill-out the the route structure needed for comprehensive corporate contracts. For example- a corporate travel manager wants to sign a contract with a carrier that services as many of their top markets a possible. New flights to business markets add to the desirability of a potential contract.
5. There is less seasonality on high-yield corporate markets.

At the US3, a route planner is trying to maximize the return on capital invested in expensive new assets like A321's and 737-900's. The easiest way to do that for UA, AA, and DL is add new business markets.

It is a very complex issue-

Oh I completely agree, it is a very complex issue.

For example adding a route like IND-MCO vs. IND-AUS involves so many different variables.

For instance, AUS is heavily gate constrained, and only 1 flight could be added. Is it worth it to add a flight from IND-AUS on a CR9 or add another AUS-ATL/DTW/MSP frequency on a A319/A320/A321? You can analyze it using strickly numbers and say that the extra frequency to ATL on a large narrowbody would likely be more profitable and a better use of assets, plus it would allow greater access to AUS for more people, but what if companies X, Y, and Z(hypothetical) said they would be willing to switch over a large portion of their travel to DL if they were to add the flight to AUS?

-It isn't always as simple as which route will generate the most profit, the recent trend of DL has been adding flights that may be barely breaking even or slightly unprofitable(initially) in order to serve the future strategic needs of the hub/focus city they are expanding in

-Given this strategy employed by Delta, it actually may be more strategically beneficial to add a flight like IND-MCO/RSW over IND-AUS(or some other "business" market), considering MCO and RSW are both massive markets from IND that many FFs love to vacation to. Having options like this available can keep DL FFs away from WN when WN actually has(had) a more comprehensive network from IND

-From Dec to Mar is when many of the business routes suffer, on the contrary leisure routes like IND-FLL/RSW/MCO peak during that time. And in a lot of cases can command higher yield than some of the business markets during that same period. Therefore, it also makes sense to add leisure routes during this period, potentially over routes that have a business leaning. My example of this are the DL IND-RSW/MIA flights, where during December and March IND-RSW/MIA command higher yield than IND-JFK/BOS/LGA/e.t.c

I agree with your points on corporate contracts, however there are so many things and other factors to examine. I think going towards a business market over a leisure market is generally a safe choice, but there exceptions to be made if the leisure markets are particular important(ex. RSW/MCO) or they are high-yielding during certain times of the year.

jplatts

Fri May 10, 2019 1:28 pm

indygs wrote:

DL does already operate a few p2p nonstop routes out of DCA to destinations other than DL hubs or focus cities such as DCA-LEX, DCA-MSN, and DCA-OMA, but LEX, MSN, and OMA are all located in or near capital cities of U.S. states.

While I agree that DL adding IND-DCA might be a possible add if DL can get extra slots at DCA, DL doesn't currently have enough slots at DCA to add IND-DCA. DL has also had to cut back on some other DL nonstop routes out of DCA in order to add DCA-BOS nonstop service.

I agree that DL adding IND-BDL nonstop service might happen as DL already operates CLE-BDL nonstop service, which is a p2p nonstop route.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos