ibthebigd

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:03 pm

Even a E175 to SLC for a 2nd flight be nice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Indy

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Think there will ever be mainline between IND and RDU? With Infosys building the campus in IND and there already being a big office in RDU (and growing), there could be decent travel for the company between the two cities. I know I've met a number of people at work who have been to the Indy Infosys office.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Midwestindy

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:07 pm

Indy wrote:
Think there will ever be mainline between IND and RDU? With Infosys building the campus in IND and there already being a big office in RDU (and growing), there could be decent travel for the company between the two cities. I know I've met a number of people at work who have been to the Indy Infosys office.

I wish! What needs to happen first is that the first flight of the day on IND-RDU needs to not be at 11:30am and on a CRJ. Once it is changed back to a 6-8am IND-RDU CR7/9, DL would likely add more midday frequencies if demand warranted it, but even with Infosys strong on both ends, they won't grow IND-RDU too much with ATL being so close.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Midwestindy

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:40 pm

airboss787 wrote:
With VX/AS gone on the IND-SFO route and WN significantly downsizing IND-OAK, I can see there being demand for 2x daily year-round UA to SFO. Was on UA500 couple weeks ago and it was a completely full flight not knowing yield. Unless UA is aiming for a premium by having just 1x daily and charging more, I can see 2x daily filling up on a regular basis.

And so it begins....

UA IND-SFO AUG 1.7>1.0[1.8]

I think we found the answer, with WN gone (for now) UA knows what to do. Shame, it looks like IND is going back to square 1 in terms of service to the Bay. September/October still show 2x daily, but I'm not convinced that will stay. UA is quite the interesting airline when it comes to IND.

pmanni1

Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:04 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
airboss787 wrote:
With VX/AS gone on the IND-SFO route and WN significantly downsizing IND-OAK, I can see there being demand for 2x daily year-round UA to SFO. Was on UA500 couple weeks ago and it was a completely full flight not knowing yield. Unless UA is aiming for a premium by having just 1x daily and charging more, I can see 2x daily filling up on a regular basis.

And so it begins....

I think we found the answer, with WN gone (for now) UA knows what to do. Shame, it looks like IND is going back to square 1 in terms of service to the Bay. September/October still show 2x daily, but I'm not convinced that will stay. UA is quite the interesting airline when it comes to IND.

Does IND have service to OAK or SJC? I don't know why so many markets struggle with service to the Bay area. It's got some of the highest O&D of anywhere not to mention the connections to Hawaii and Asia.

CRJ200flyer

Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:51 pm

I recently made an infographic showcasing FedEx’s facilities growth at IND. Impressive changes!

For more see: https://www.facebook.com/CommercialAviationInfographics

Midwestindy

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:47 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
airboss787 wrote:

And so it begins....

Does IND have service to OAK or SJC? I don't know why so many markets struggle with service to the Bay area. It's got some of the highest O&D of anywhere not to mention the connections to Hawaii and Asia.

Yes....and no, technically WN serves IND-OAK, but it is gone from the schedules because of the MAX issues.

I don't think it as much about struggling, it is more about there being so many connecting options in between to get to the Bay Area. Demand is there to make it work, yields are there to make it work, but carriers aren't going to cannibalize their own traffic if they don't need to. Hence why UA didn't fully increase IND-SFO to 2x daily until AS entered the market.

CRJ200flyer wrote:
I recently made an infographic showcasing FedEx’s facilities growth at IND. Impressive changes!

For more see: https://www.facebook.com/CommercialAviationInfographics

I like the page, keep it up

Indy

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:21 am

Midwestindy wrote:
I wish! What needs to happen first is that the first flight of the day on IND-RDU needs to not be at 11:30am and on a CRJ. Once it is changed back to a 6-8am IND-RDU CR7/9, DL would likely add more midday frequencies if demand warranted it, but even with Infosys strong on both ends, they won't grow IND-RDU too much with ATL being so close.

Honestly, nobody flying between IND and RDU for Infosys wants to stop in ATL. It is out of the way and a big waste of time. IND-RDU is 489 miles. IND-ATL-RDU is 788 miles (over 60% more) plus a 1+ hour layover. No thanks to ATL. Just get me a good nonstop flight in the morning and evening and offer first class seats. Infosys won't pay for domestic first class travel but you can always upgrade.

Midwestindy

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:58 pm

https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... 0701154457
April pax were slightly down from IND -1.4%, YOY up 1.2%
Cargo up 7.0%, due to FX increase

AS (-42.8%)-Loss of SFO
AC (+1.0%)
G4 (+4.7%)
AA (-5.2%)-Not sure on that one
DL (+10.9%)
F9 (-23.7%)- Loss of PHL/AUS? I think....
WN (-4.6%)- Loss of EWR, OAK, and other MAX cuts
UA (-11.8%)- Loss of 1xSFO, drop in mainline

11 straight months of double digit growth from DL
Apr +10.9%
Mar +14.6%
Feb +10.7%
Jan +13.3%
DEC +11.5%
NOV +15.2%
OCT +11.3%
SEP +14.8%
AUG +19.5%
JUL +14.9%
JUN +13.1%

Too bad May '18 was 6% growth or it would be 13 straight months of double digit growth

Midwestindy

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:39 pm

https://www.ibj.com/articles/74438-indi ... re-tourism
https://calendar.in.gov/site/lg/event/l ... fZ-7cljeMQ

"Indiana officials plan Mexico trip to tout agriculture, tourism"

"In Mexico City, the tourism delegation will be working to develop relationships with key travel and tourism stakeholders, while showcasing the state’s tourism assets and promoting travel to Indiana."

:stirthepot:

FlyingElvii

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 am

LH 432 747-800 just weather diverted into Indy from ORD...
AA41 787-800 from BCN about to touch down

Jake1993P

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:57 am

Why does DL500 seem to be delayed more days than not?

zackary747

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:52 am

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest ... -LvfBZQkeU

Looks like OAK-IND wasn't the only one temp. suspended. Southwest put a big dent into OAK due to the MAX issues.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr

Midwestindy

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:48 am

FlyingElvii wrote:

Great day for diverts :o

zackary747 wrote:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-airlines-suspends-13-routes-because-of-boeing-737-max-grounding/?utm_content=CFE559C4-9D12-11E9-9D7F-DBD2923C408C&utm_campaign=facebook&utm_term=Editorial&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3kMRmtjdSlM_XoDpDrR-kjYYYx8uH7xRx32hwQwcLdNkylC-LvfBZQkeU

Looks like OAK-IND wasn't the only one temp. suspended. Southwest put a big dent into OAK due to the MAX issues.

Yeah, but it would be one thing if it looked like a temporary suspension, but other routes listed appear bookable after October...IND-OAK does not(with the exception of Thanksgiving).

Even worse, it appears IND-MDW/LAX/1xBWI are zero'd out in October in addition to OAK, if true that would not be ideal at all, even if temporary. October is a pretty large travel month for IND.

zackary747

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

zackary747 wrote:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-airlines-suspends-13-routes-because-of-boeing-737-max-grounding/?utm_content=CFE559C4-9D12-11E9-9D7F-DBD2923C408C&utm_campaign=facebook&utm_term=Editorial&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3kMRmtjdSlM_XoDpDrR-kjYYYx8uH7xRx32hwQwcLdNkylC-LvfBZQkeU

Yeah, but it would be one thing if it looked like a temporary suspension, but other routes listed appear bookable after October...IND-OAK does not(with the exception of Thanksgiving).

Even worse, it appears IND-MDW/LAX/1xBWI are zero'd out in October in addition to OAK, if true that would not be ideal at all, even if temporary. October is a pretty large travel month for IND.

I am still convinced that OAK will come back as a spring/summer seasonal bare minimum once WN gets their crap together. The route performed very well until winter time hit. And ouch for October. I'm flying Southwest in September to LAX via PHX (and then off to LAS later that night) and I hope their network isn't a complete mess that day.

Also, the fact that IND-OAK is even bookable on the Thanksgiving window is a good sign in my opinion. Someone could argue that if it was completely gone the Thanksgiving window wouldn't exist and nothing would be bookable. Time will tell of course.

EDIT: Do a dummy booking in something around December 18. IND-OAK is listed. It appears that WN is taking it in and out of the schedule depending on aircraft availability (which would make sense considering the MAX issues and they had other issues earlier this year as well when it came to maintenance). It appears to be bookable between Dec 18-20. This flight is all over the place lol.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr

Midwestindy

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:32 am

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

zackary747 wrote:

I am still convinced that OAK will come back as a spring/summer seasonal bare minimum once WN gets their crap together. The route performed very well until winter time hit. And ouch for October. I'm flying Southwest in September to LAX via PHX (and then off to LAS later that night) and I hope their network isn't a complete mess that day.

Also, the fact that IND-OAK is even bookable on the Thanksgiving window is a good sign in my opinion. Someone could argue that if it was completely gone the Thanksgiving window wouldn't exist and nothing would be bookable. Time will tell of course.

EDIT: Do a dummy booking in something around December 18. IND-OAK is listed. It appears that WN is taking it in and out of the schedule depending on aircraft availability (which would make sense considering the MAX issues and they had other issues earlier this year as well when it came to maintenance). It appears to be bookable between Dec 18-20. This flight is all over the place lol.

WN is probably just tentatively planning to run it during peak times (Thanksgiving/Christmas), unless MAX issues are extended.

I mentioned fare increases were likely going to be a problem this summer, but it looks like the increases were realized before the MAX issues even hit:
Here are nonstop fares in Q1 2019, compared to Q1 2018 for the US3:

The question is now, how high will they get? The fact that only 4 routes decreased in Avg fares is sad. Margin increases in fares are good and to be expected, but once you start seeing drastic increases in fares in the slow season you can tell airlines aren't matching demand.

$343 on DL IND-RSW is insane for a leisure route

Trend should continue, considering UA/WN/AA have been fairly stagnant or decreased capacity in the market.

fedex1

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:25 am

I would love to see KLM AMS-IND.... I know it would never happen! I have flown KLM had a terrific experience!

kindeham

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:01 am

fedex1 wrote:
I would love to see KLM AMS-IND.... I know it would never happen! I have flown KLM had a terrific experience!

Tell me about it! Would make my life easier - but like you say, I doubt it will ever happen. Only real potential I see for that is some sort of seasonal service at most.

Midwestindy

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:26 pm

Very interesting development for the December schedule from IND, it appears that DL is making IND-RDU daily for the holiday season. But for the 19th and 20th of December the route is 3x daily. It looks like IND and CVG are the only mid-sized cities with n/s service to RDU during Christmas break(other than the leisure routes obviously).

Appears to be in the evening, so it may be for connecting pax through IND-RDU-CDG or RDU-IND-CDG

fedex1

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:45 am

I truly can’t see why a 3x weekly during summer couldn’t work well with DL CDG service! But what the heck do I know!!! NOTHING about flight planning, or yields!!!! I am just speaking out loud!

kindeham

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:03 am

fedex1 wrote:
I truly can’t see why a 3x weekly during summer couldn’t work well with DL CDG service! But what the heck do I know!!! NOTHING about flight planning, or yields!!!! I am just speaking out loud!

I am confused what you are talking about? IND-CDG is daily during the summer and is often full. Or could you possibly be talking about adding AMS 3x weekly to suppliment CDG?

fedex1

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Adding AMS to supplement daily to CDG...

indygs

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Not sure how accurate this is now > 1 year later, but at the launch of IND-CDG the VP of route planning for DL mentioned the hang-up at AMS are slots. If that's the case, I think it would be tough to envision how DL would get hold of enough slots to cycle a 3X weekly flight in and out of AMS to handle pax who can largely be accommodated (sans some African destinations) via service from CDG. Would be great to see, for sure, but not sure the economics of it would really work out.

fedex1

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:07 pm

Is KLM slot restricted as well? Or just a Delta thing? I don’t know how slots work.

Indy

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:04 am

I didn't realize AMS was slot restricted.

indygs

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:10 am

Here's some info about the slot restrictions in place at AMS: https://slotcoordination.nl/slot-monitoring/.

Much of it I believe has to do with a covenant also reached with area residents that limits night time movements and total movements for the year. I believe this is due to be re-negotiated soon.

kindeham

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:57 am

AMS is currently considering a plan to build more runways (or even move the antire airport) in the North Sea. There would be a rail link to the main terminal. This would allow for more flights without disturbing the neighbors, but obviously this is a very long term plan. On the short term there is a plan to move some flights to nearby Lelystad airport, however that keeps being delayed. I work directly next to Schiphol (get an amazing view of departures when the wind is out of the south!) Schiphol could probably handle quite a bit more traffic based on my personal observations - however the question would be at what expense? Schiphol seems to rarely have backups like you may see at LaGuardia, for instance, so seems that at the moment the traffic is very well managed.

ibthebigd

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:36 pm

I think a summer seasonal flight from Aer Lingus would be awesome on a A321XLR

I don't know if that would ever happen.

I don't think Aer Lingus has a close relationship with AA to tap those FF from AA

Midwestindy

Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:12 pm

ibthebigd wrote:
I think a summer seasonal flight from Aer Lingus would be awesome on a A321XLR

I don't know if that would ever happen.

I don't think Aer Lingus has a close relationship with AA to tap those FF from AA

I'd hope LHR would be next

First January 2019 numbers came in about CDG
January International
DL CDG-IND-72.4%; IND-CDG-56.7%
DL CUN-IND-82.8%; IND-CUN-82.5%

WN CUN-IND-78.5%; IND-CUN-76.5%

AC YYZ-IND-66.7%; IND-YYZ-54.7%

APRIL Domestic
AS SEA-IND-87.2%; IND-SEA-80.0%

AA LAX-IND-94.1%; IND-LAX-91.7%
AA MIA-IND-90.0%; IND-MIA-78.8%
AA PHX-IND-84.3%; IND-PHX-74.2%
AA DFW-IND-85.7%; IND-DFW-80.6%
AA DCA-IND-83.6%; IND-DCA-79.4%
AA JFK-IND-82.5%; IND-JFK-70.5%
AA CLT-IND-82.3%; IND-CLT-74.2%
AA PHL-IND-73.5%; IND-PHL-69.3%
AA ORD-IND-73.2%; IND-ORD-57.6%

G4 PIE-IND-95.4%; IND-PIE-80.2%
G4 FLL-IND-94.5%; IND-FLL-79.6%
G4 PGD-IND-91.3%; IND-PGD-68.7%
G4 LAS-IND-91.2%; IND-LAS-87.4%
G4 SRQ-IND-88.4%; IND-SRQ-83.2%
G4 SFB-IND-88.0%; IND-SFB-74.3%
G4 AUS-IND-81.2%; IND-AUS-71.3%
G4 SAV-IND-77.9%; IND-SAV-67.5%
G4 MSY-IND-76.2%; IND-MSY-68.4%
G4 CHS-IND-74.8%; IND-CHS-66.7%

DL RDU-IND-89.9%; IND-RDU-87.8%
DL LAX-IND-89.0%; IND-LAX-78.1%
DL ATL-IND-88.2%; IND-ATL-81.1%
DL MSP-IND-87.5%; IND-MSP-85.6%
DL SEA-IND-84.2%; IND-SEA-67.9%
DL BOS-IND-79.7%; IND-BOS-73.8%
DL JFK-IND-79.3%; IND-JFK-61.4%
DL DTW-IND-74.6%; IND-DTW-70.9%
DL MCO-IND-66.7%; IND-MCO-63.2%

F9 DEN-IND-92.3%; IND-DEN-92.6%
F9 LAS-IND-91.4%; IND-LAS-86.2%
F9 RSW-IND-89.5%; IND-RSW-62.6%
F9 MCO-IND-86.8%; IND-MCO-74.6%

NK LAS-IND-77.6%; IND-LAS-62.3%
NK MCO-IND-82.4%; IND-MCO-65.9%

WN LAX-IND-96.9%; IND-LAX-86.3%
WN FLL-IND-96.7%; IND-FLL-74.3%
WN AUS-IND-96.7%; IND-AUS-78.8%
WN MSY-IND-94.4%; IND-MSY-35.4%
WN RSW-IND-94.2%; IND-RSW-68.4%
WN LAS-IND-91.0%; IND-LAS-86.3%
WN DAL-IND-90.8%; IND-DAL-84.9%
WN PHX-IND-87.4%; IND-PHX-77.2%
WN BWI-IND-87.3%; IND-BWI-81.1%
WN OAK-IND-87.0%; IND-OAK-75.1%
WN DEN-IND-87.0%; IND-DEN-80.1%
WN TPA-IND-85.6%; IND-TPA-68.9%
WN MCO-IND-83.5%; IND-MCO-71.0%
WN ATL-IND-82.4%; IND-ATL-78.0%
WN HOU-IND-82.1%; IND-HOU-70.1%
WN MDW-IND-74.4%; IND-MDW-69.8%
WN MCI-IND-65.5%; IND-MCI-59.6%
WN BOS-IND-62.1%; IND-BOS-66.7%

UA IAH-IND-87.8%; IND-IAH-82.9%
UA DEN-IND-87.5%; IND-DEN-83.1%
UA EWR-IND-86.7%; IND-EWR-80.4%
UA IAD-IND-84.3%; IND-IAD-81.6%
UA SFO-IND-83.8%; IND-SFO-70.8%

indygs

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Dang, 56.7% for IND-CDG. I get that its shoulder season, but that flight was operating 3X week. I suppose the saving grace is the return %age, which I assume was largely dictated by those returning from holidays in Europe.

Midwestindy

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 pm

indygs wrote:
Dang, 56.7% for IND-CDG. I get that its shoulder season, but that flight was operating 3X week. I suppose the saving grace is the return %age, which I assume was largely dictated by those returning from holidays in Europe.

To be honest, I actually think that wasn't as bad as I expected, January outbound across the board was rough for most of the newer routes: PIT-KEF-55.0%, STL-KEF-43.9%, MSY-LHR-61.5%(not really "new"), BNA-LHR-58.4%, e.t.c, so 56.7% is about expected for January on a brand new route.

And if you compare the inbound of 72.4%, it also falls along the same lines as LHR-MSY-75.2% and LHR-BNA-65.7%, and even some hub-hub routes like AMS-DTW-67.4%

kindeham

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:24 pm

So a strange insight I may have about Spirit in Indy. Back in September of last year Spirit hired someone I used to know as their director of route planning...he was a HUGE ATA fanboy. I don't have contact with him any longer - but Spirit adding Indy is probably not a chance based on what I know about him. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Spirit add some more leisure routes that ATA used to fly.

Jshank83

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:53 am

Midwestindy wrote:
indygs wrote:

To be honest, I actually think that wasn't as bad as I expected, January outbound across the board was rough for most of the newer routes: PIT-KEF-55.0%, STL-KEF-43.9%, MSY-LHR-61.5%(not really "new"), BNA-LHR-58.4%, e.t.c, so 56.7% is about expected for January on a brand new route.

And if you compare the inbound of 72.4%, it also falls along the same lines as LHR-MSY-75.2% and LHR-BNA-65.7%, and even some hub-hub routes like AMS-DTW-67.4%

Weren’t both the KEF routes partial months because they had been cut. Not sure I’d factor those in. But your point stands on the other ones.

indygs

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 am

Midwestindy wrote:
indygs wrote:

That's good perspective. Especially the MSY and BNA routes. Do those run 3x a week, too? AMS-DTW is a bit surprising given its a hub-hub route for DL and I'm on that one often--I'd love a few of my flights to come back that empty.

Midwestindy

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
indygs wrote:

Weren’t both the KEF routes partial months because they had been cut. Not sure I’d factor those in. But your point stands on the other ones.

Tried to get a wider data range, as there weren't that many new mid-sized routes operating in January.

kindeham wrote:
So a strange insight I may have about Spirit in Indy. Back in September of last year Spirit hired someone I used to know as their director of route planning...he was a HUGE ATA fanboy. I don't have contact with him any longer - but Spirit adding Indy is probably not a chance based on what I know about him. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Spirit add some more leisure routes that ATA used to fly.

Yeah, he's been good to Indy so far: RSW, MCO, TPA, LAS, and MYR have filled in. There isn't much room for them to expand though, with G4/F9/WN/DL/AA serving Florida quite well. Best shot for them is to try BWI, MSY, FLL, and maybe even BOS or EWR.

Also G4 just extended their schedule through May
G4 next Spring Break (weekly frequencies)
2017-2018-2019
IND-MSY 3x-2x-2x
IND-LAS 2x-2x-2x
IND-FLL 7x-7x-9x
IND-SFB 8x-9x-9x
IND-JAX 3x-3x-2x
IND-PGD 8x-9x-10x
IND-PIE 8x-9x-9x
IND-AUS 2x-2x-2x
IND-AZA 2x-0x-0x
IND-SAV 2x-3x-2x
IND-SRQ 0x-2x-5x
IND-CHS 0x-2x-2x

Still waiting on AZA to come back, but everything seems about status quo with the exception of SRQ.

Hopefully G4 adds IND-Mexico/Caribbean next year, as it appears Vacation Express is gone, and WN has cut back on IND-CUN.

indygs wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
indygs wrote:

That's good perspective. Especially the MSY and BNA routes. Do those run 3x a week, too? AMS-DTW is a bit surprising given its a hub-hub route for DL and I'm on that one often--I'd love a few of my flights to come back that empty.

I believe MSY/BNA-LHR were 4x weekly, I think AMS-DTW was low because of the larger A350 running the route.

ibthebigd

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:53 pm

It sucks Allegiant hasn't grown more from IND.

You would think they could run 5X weekly atleast to LAS.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
I believe MSY/BNA-LHR were 4x weekly, I think AMS-DTW was low because of the larger A350 running the route.

MSY is 5x weekly year round.

Midwestindy

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:11 am

ibthebigd wrote:

It's about aircraft time, they hardly run LAS-East of the Mississippi more than 3-4x weekly.

G4's staffing model makes it hard to run Transcontinental flights at high frequency. Plus, if they run an IND-LAS flight that means that aircraft can only operate 1 other r/t for the day. Whereas if they were to run IND-PIE, they could also run IND-CHS r/t plus IND-SRQ r/t in the same day.

SumChristianus

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:19 am

Midwestindy wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:

It's about aircraft time, they hardly run LAS-East of the Mississippi more than 3-4x weekly.

G4's staffing model makes it hard to run Transcontinental flights at high frequency. Plus, if they run an IND-LAS flight that means that aircraft can only operate 1 other r/t for the day. Whereas if they were to run IND-PIE, they could also run IND-CHS r/t plus IND-SRQ r/t in the same day.

They just started red-eyes though, right - opportunity?
Midwestindy wrote:
Hopefully G4 adds IND-Mexico/Caribbean next year

Their first quarter conference call mentioned IND/CVG as the types of cities from which they'd launch international
With WN and Vacation Express off the route and IND-CUN likely again to be one of DL's top CUN performers, seems more and more likely.
UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-ATL-DEN: WN 73G/738
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

Midwestindy

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 am

SumChristianus wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:

They just started red-eyes though, right - opportunity?
Midwestindy wrote:
Hopefully G4 adds IND-Mexico/Caribbean next year

Their first quarter conference call mentioned IND/CVG as the types of cities from which they'd launch international
With WN and Vacation Express off the route and IND-CUN likely again to be one of DL's top CUN performers, seems more and more likely.

Red Eyes are still relatively uncommon for G4 (I think they only operate a handful of red eye flights weekly), but it may be an opportunity, however G4's staffing and crew base policies make it hard to tell how it would work at a high frequency.

Yeah DL has already reacted to WN/Vacation Express being gone, nonstop IND-CUN fares for Christmas break are $1.3k one-way. Leaving Dec 21st and returning Jan 4th will run you $2k, which is absurd.

Midwestindy

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:14 am

Southwest update for October:

IND-LAX gone for October
IND-MDW moved to 1x weekly Sat (1x daily cancelled, 3x daily Sun cancelled)
IND-HOU 1x downguage B738-->B737
IND-OAK unsurprisingly gone
IND-LAS down to 2x daily, 1x daily on Sat

Jshank83

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:40 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

IND-LAX gone for October

Did they just push back the max again or is this the original release?

Runway28L

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

IND-LAX gone for October

At first, I thought WN buying used B738s to cover for the MAX would be a waste of money. But after seeing what UA is doing by proactively acquiring 19 B73Gs, and also there being no timetable of the MAX returning to service, WN needs to stop sitting on their hands and do something. This inconveniencing of passengers can only be manageable for so long.

Midwestindy

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

IND-LAX gone for October

Did they just push back the max again or is this the original release?

Yep pushed MAX back to early November, probably pushed further soon as well

Midwestindy

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

IND-LAX gone for October

At first, I thought WN buying used B738s to cover for the MAX would be a waste of money. But after seeing what UA is doing by proactively acquiring 19 B73Gs, and also there being no timetable of the MAX returning to service, WN needs to stop sitting on their hands and do something. This inconveniencing of passengers can only be manageable for so long.

The intel has been horrible, to start out the word on the street was that it would only be grounded for a few weeks or a month. I think it is finally becoming clear that this is going to take some time to sort out. Next week, I think WN is going to feel the heat from their investors on coming up with a solution.

indygs

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:46 am

WN in a quick retreat at IND. Quite a retreat I might add, given where their ambition was maybe two years back.

kindeham

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:20 am

indygs wrote:
WN in a quick retreat at IND. Quite a retreat I might add, given where their ambition was maybe two years back.

Someone is going to smell blood in the water. I am kinda thinking Spirit, if they have the aircraft available.

Midwestindy

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:02 pm

kindeham wrote:
indygs wrote:

Someone is going to smell blood in the water. I am kinda thinking Spirit, if they have the aircraft available.

WN went from serving 22 destinations in 2017/2018, its quite impressive how so much has changed, without an obvious reason

As predicted, IND-SFO has been drawn back to only 2x daily for October(not sure how long that will stay), and Christmas break. DL is going the opposite direction though, with DL extending the B738 on IND-SLC through December, and extending the B739 on IND-MSP through December

IND currently has the highest fares of any airport of its size, so I could see there being a power vacuum of sorts. SAN, BOS, AUS, LAX (if WN cuts back more), WAS, MSY, CUN/Carribean, SAT, Bay Area, PHL, PDX, NYC, e.t.c are all arguably underserved and would be good locations for other carriers to target.

I'd like for the airport to put more emphasis on getting domestic carriers to address some of the higher fare/underserved city pairs rather than waiting for carriers to do it on their own.

Bluegrass60

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Am thinking DL's increases; ULCC's arrivals; WN MAX problems all causing WN to deploy assets where it see's a better ROI

NB1231

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Headed from CLT to IND on an AA A321, our A319 that was scheduled had maintenance issues so we got upgraded thankfully, didn’t realize how much more room these had!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos