masseybrown

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:35 pm

CLEguy wrote:
LHR was on a 767-400 (one of my favorite aircraft!) and MAD was on a 777-300 (perhaps the first one at CLE?).

UA921 (from LHR) was on the ground at CLE for almost 6 hours; I hope they let the pax off. Would it be possible to use Concourse D as a sterile holding facility? Open a couple of toilets and a bar/bistro - at least let people stretch their legs.

CLEguy

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:11 pm

An upcoming forum on possible uses of BKL if the airport would close:

https://www.freshwatercleveland.com/fea ... e+and+more

CLEguy

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:16 pm

CLE's customer service score improved last year and is now above average!

https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2019 ... 2-headline

DesertFlyer

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Looks like UA cancelled one of the two daily CLE-SFO flights come September. No more redeye from SFO or evening flight to SFO.

Unfortunately I found this out since I was booked on both.

masseybrown

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:08 pm

DesertFlyer wrote:
Looks like UA cancelled one of the two daily CLE-SFO flights come September. No more redeye from SFO or evening flight to SFO.

Just for September, I believe; SFO is closing a runway for paving work. The October schedule shows two flights again.

DesertFlyer

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:26 pm

masseybrown wrote:
DesertFlyer wrote:

Just for September, I believe; SFO is closing a runway for paving work. The October schedule shows two flights again.

Good! Crazy to have only one nonstop CLE-SFO on UA.

ncflyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:34 am

A little surprised/disappointed that AA is adding CVG PHX seasonal but not CLE. PIT and CMH and IND have at times double daily. It must speak to how F9 is owning aspects of CLE now.

jplatts

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:51 am

ncflyer wrote:
A little surprised/disappointed that AA is adding CVG PHX seasonal but not CLE. PIT and CMH and IND have at times double daily. It must speak to how F9 is owning aspects of CLE now.

CVG-PHX nonstop service is a new nonstop route for AA whereas AA dropped CLE-PHX nonstop service back in April 2016.

There are a few markets other than CLE that have nonstop service out of PHX on WN but not on AA such as BUF, SDF, BNA, and TUL.

ncflyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:57 am

If memory serves jplatts AA last served the route for a very short time. A year or two.

HPAEAA

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:25 am

ncflyer wrote:
If memory serves jplatts AA last served the route for a very short time. A year or two.

Checked Wikipedia, (not the most reliable) and it looks like it was 2014-2015 on LUS metal- so before most of the integrations happened... was kind of surprised they haven’t tried this route again, HP used to have 2x daily on the route back in the day, but after the US merger they gave up and let WN/CO have the market... since then that’s evolved with different carriers but surprised that AA can’t make anything west of DFW/ORD work.
1.4mm and counting...

avtcle

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:38 pm

In my personal opinion, I thinks AAs decision to add CVG-PHX was a poor choice. The market there is going to be incredibly over saturated. Now between Delta, Frontier, Southwest and now American. That can be over 700 seats on some days! Whereas Cleveland doesn’t offer legacy service to PHX, so American would have the opportunity to pick up an under severed base in the market. I’m happy with our PHX service now, but AA would be nice!

fun2fly

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:17 pm

avtcle wrote:
In my personal opinion, I thinks AAs decision to add CVG-PHX was a poor choice. The market there is going to be incredibly over saturated. Now between Delta, Frontier, Southwest and now American. That can be over 700 seats on some days! Whereas Cleveland doesn’t offer legacy service to PHX, so American would have the opportunity to pick up an under severed base in the market. I’m happy with our PHX service now, but AA would be nice!

The HP service complimented the CO service at 3-4x per day. It' was a great stop over point on the way to SoCal destinations like SNA, etc.

masseybrown

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:38 pm

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ct-wow-air

... says WOW will be operating again and plans to serve the destinations it previously served plus IAD. Well, maybe ...

flyPIT

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:00 pm

masseybrown wrote:
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/80162-us-businesswoman-outlines-plans-to-resurrect-wow-air

... says WOW will be operating again and plans to serve the destinations it previously served plus IAD. Well, maybe ...

Not to nitpick, but this is what she said: "Destinations would be similar to those of WOW air, she said, with the addition of Washington Dulles"
That one word *could* change everything. CMH is "similar" to CLE, IND is "similar" to CVG, etc so it might not mean all the previous destinations.
FLYi

avtcle

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pm

flyPIT wrote:
masseybrown wrote:
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/80162-us-businesswoman-outlines-plans-to-resurrect-wow-air

Not to nitpick, but this is what she said: "Destinations would be similar to those of WOW air, she said, with the addition of Washington Dulles"
That one word *could* change everything. CMH is "similar" to CLE, IND is "similar" to CVG, etc so it might not mean all the previous destinations.

Should the airline offer to serve Cleveland, we should certainly accept, however I don’t think it’s an airline our airport should persue. For year-round business oriented service to work in Cleveland it has to be on a full service carrier to a larger, MAINLAND European hub. CLE should focus efforts on Aer Lingus before it looks to persue other, less enticing carriers — especially new and unstable ones.

Midwestindy

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:48 pm

avtcle wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
masseybrown wrote:

Should the airline offer to serve Cleveland, we should certainly accept, however I don’t think it’s an airline our airport should persue. For year-round business oriented service to work in Cleveland it has to be on a full service carrier to a larger, MAINLAND European hub. CLE should focus efforts on Aer Lingus before it looks to persue other, less enticing carriers — especially new and unstable ones.

Not to be "that guy," but you do realize that Ireland isn't in Mainland Europe?
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

masseybrown

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:27 pm

CLE posted June numbers. Total pax for the first half of 2019, 4.88 million - up 210K or 4.5%. Interestingly international passengers declined only 12K. Cargo was up 5.9%. Total landings declined by 6 (yes six) again pointing out the use of bigger planes by the airlines. Since the second half typically shows better numbers than the first half, 10 million still looks like it's within reach for the year.

https://www.clevelandairport.com/about-us/facts-figures

jplatts

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:52 pm

I am surprised that WN reduced CLE-LAS nonstop service from daily to Saturday-only when WN CLE-LAS actually had one of the highest load factors in 2018.

Here are the load factors for the top 10 WN nonstop routes out of LAS by load factor in 2018:
FLL-LAS - 91.69%
DTW-LAS - 91.12% (reduced to Saturday-only)
CLE-LAS - 90.97% (reduced to Saturday-only)
DSM-LAS - 90.74%
PIT-LAS - 90.30% (temporarily reduced to weekend-only due to 737 MAX grounding)
CMH-LAS - 89.65%
HOU-LAS - 88.79%
BWI-LAS - 88.29%
MDW-LAS - 88.27%
PHL-LAS - 88.19% (dropped)

WN will certainly continue to serve LAS nonstop from HOU, BWI, and MDW (even with nonstop competition from ULCC's) since HOU, BWI, and MDW are three of the largest WN focus cities.

WN also had nonstop competition on NK on its FLL-LAS, DTW-LAS, CLE-LAS, PIT-LAS, CMH-LAS, HOU-LAS, BWI-LAS, MDW-LAS, and PHL-LAS nonstop routes in 2018.

There were probably factors other than nonstop ULCC competition (or weakened yields resulting from nonstop ULCC competition) that led WN to decide to reduce CLE-LAS nonstop service to Saturday-only as WN still faces nonstop ULCC competition on FLL-LAS, CMH-LAS, and BWI-LAS nonstop service.

WN was probably doing well on CLE-LAS nonstop service in 2018 if WN was actually doing well on FLL-LAS, DTW-LAS, PIT-LAS, or CMH-LAS nonstop service in 2018 as all of these routes had high load factors and nonstop competition on ULCC's.

Why did WN decide to reduce CLE-LAS nonstop service to Saturday-only but keep daily nonstop service to LAS from CMH and FLL?

avtcle

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
avtcle wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Ireland is part of mainland Europe. Iceland is the only country that is not considered part of the mainland. http://www.theaa.com/services/european_ ... overed.jsp

cle757

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:59 pm

Anyone hear a rumor for a UA CLE-PHX route Sat/Sun coming this fall?
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

avtcle

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:08 pm

cle757 wrote:
Anyone hear a rumor for a UA CLE-PHX route Sat/Sun coming this fall?

I've heard chatter but I haven't seen anything materialize. I'm keeping an eye on the schedule.

United saw success in this route during the hub ops, and the way it was slotted the passengers had to be almost 100% O&D.
2014-01// CLE-PHX: 86%
2014-02// CLE-PHX: 95%
2014-03// CLE-PHX: 90%
2014-04// CLE-PHX: 86%
2014-05// CLE-PHX: 85%
2014-06// MARKET EXITED

Midwestindy

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 pm

avtcle wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
avtcle wrote:

Ireland is part of mainland Europe. Iceland is the only country that is not considered part of the mainland. http://www.theaa.com/services/european_ ... overed.jsp

Lol what is that source?

Merriam-Webster definition of mainland: "a continent or the main part of a continent as distinguished from an offshore island or sometimes from a cape or peninsula"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mainland

World Atlas: "Continental Europe is a continuous continental landmass that forms the mainland continent of Europe, excluding the surrounding islands. It is simply the continent of Europe, excluding European islands such as the Canary Islands, British Isles, and the Greek Islands"
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/wha ... urope.html

Kids Encyclopedia :D : "The most common definition of continental Europe excludes the Greek Islands, Malta, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, the Balearic Islands, Iceland, Ireland, and the United Kingdom and its dependencies"
https://kids.kiddle.co/Continental_Europe

It's not a big deal, but I thought I should say something since I have seen it referred to as mainland a few times on this thread.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

avtcle

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:06 am

UA1995, a Boeing 777-224ER en route from ORD to EWR diverted to CLE tonight. Currently sitting on the pad, estimated to depart in 30 minutes. Anyone know the reason for the diversion?

Buffalomatt1027

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:21 am

jplatts wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

CVG-PHX nonstop service is a new nonstop route for AA whereas AA dropped CLE-PHX nonstop service back in April 2016.

There are a few markets other than CLE that have nonstop service out of PHX on WN but not on AA such as BUF, SDF, BNA, and TUL.

WN seems to have the BUF - PHX market monopoly. With such good load rates and such a large amount of Canadians that use that flight, I am shocked AA doesnt try that route. They did recent add DFW and seasonal MIA.

joeman

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:54 am

Midwestindy wrote:
avtcle wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Lol what is that source?

Merriam-Webster definition of mainland: "a continent or the main part of a continent as distinguished from an offshore island or sometimes from a cape or peninsula"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mainland

World Atlas: "Continental Europe is a continuous continental landmass that forms the mainland continent of Europe, excluding the surrounding islands. It is simply the continent of Europe, excluding European islands such as the Canary Islands, British Isles, and the Greek Islands"
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/wha ... urope.html

Kids Encyclopedia :D : "The most common definition of continental Europe excludes the Greek Islands, Malta, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, the Balearic Islands, Iceland, Ireland, and the United Kingdom and its dependencies"
https://kids.kiddle.co/Continental_Europe

It's not a big deal, but I thought I should say something since I have seen it referred to as mainland a few times on this thread.

For us CLE folks, after all this debate, going forward maybe just refer to Europe or main hubs in Europe rather than arguing if Dublin or London or whatever is part of "mainland" Europe.

avtcle

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:27 am

A little bit of Allegiant expansion heading for Cleveland for some existing routes.

CLE-BNA will go on hiatus in August and will return at 2x weekly in February — this extends the route’s season by 4 months.

CLE-CHS will go on hiatus in August and will return at 2x weekly in February — this extends the route’s season by 5 months.

CLE-SAV will continue year-round at 3x weekly, which is one additional weekly flight as opposed to the fall/winter of 2018.

Geowizical

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:38 pm

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019 ... -2019.html

CLE still on-pace for a 10 million passenger year. 4.9 million passengers in first half. 97% O&D.

pmanni1

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:58 pm

Geowizical wrote:
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019/07/cleveland-hopkins-airport-sees-45-passenger-increase-during-first-half-of-2019.html

CLE still on-pace for a 10 million passenger year. 4.9 million passengers in first half. 97% O&D.

I wonder how much of this has been at the expense of CAK. Traffic has fallen by half there since 2012.

joeman

Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:11 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
Geowizical wrote:
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019/07/cleveland-hopkins-airport-sees-45-passenger-increase-during-first-half-of-2019.html

I wonder how much of this has been at the expense of CAK. Traffic has fallen by half there since 2012.

Good point and interesting...I'd imagine some bleed to PIT, maybe CMH as well as CLE just as there's been accounts of CLE bleed to surrounding airports especially involving international

ncflyer

Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:38 pm

Given that the low fare carriers packed up shop in CAK and moved to CLE, there’s not much of a question. No more AirTran, no more WN, no more F9, skeletal NK service. . . Bad for CAK but very good for the region because CLE has a scale that CAK could never have. I’d like to see both airports run by a regional commission that shares resources but that will never happen in a million years— because Northeast Ohio. . .

avtcle

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:22 pm

10 million passengers on the charts will truly be impressive to see. Most airports CLEs size that break this threshold have seen significant buildup from a single carrier — Southwest in BNA & STL, Delta in CVG & RDU, Frontier in AUS and SAT. Cleveland has such a strong market that seems to be healthily spread out through many different airlines. latest OAG report states that 44% of CLE traffic is LCC, while the remaining 56% is legacy traffic.
Last edited by avtcle on Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jplatts

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:23 pm

ncflyer wrote:
Given that the low fare carriers packed up shop in CAK and moved to CLE, there’s not much of a question. No more AirTran, no more WN, no more F9, skeletal NK service. . . Bad for CAK but very good for the region because CLE has a scale that CAK could never have. I’d like to see both airports run by a regional commission that shares resources but that will never happen in a million years— because Northeast Ohio. . .

One reason why WN pulled out of CAK is that CLE was served by WN prior to the WN-FL merger, whereas WN inherited CAK through the WN-FL merger. CAK-ATL was also the only remaining WN nonstop route out of CAK at the time of WN's pullout of CAK, and WN moved CAK-ATL over to CLE after WN's pullout of CAK.

avtcle

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:30 pm

jplatts wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

One reason why WN pulled out of CAK is that CLE was served by WN prior to the WN-FL merger, whereas WN inherited CAK through the WN-FL merger. CAK-ATL was also the only remaining WN nonstop route out of CAK at the time of WN's pullout of CAK, and WN moved CAK-ATL over to CLE after WN's pullout of CAK.

Simply did not make sense for Southwest to continue serving the same routes in CAK as they did in CLE. We see Spirit struggling with the same thing in CAK — the overlapping routes they serve in Akron consistently preform worse than those they serve from Cleveland. CAK to MYR and LAS were cut in 2017 and looking at the stats for TPA and RSW, I’d say those routes are ill fated as well. Also, when Allegiant pulled out of CAK, they noted that a large majority of their passengers were coming from the Cleveland area.

jplatts

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:53 pm

avtcle wrote:
Simply did not make sense for Southwest to continue serving the same routes in CAK as they did in CLE. We see Spirit struggling with the same thing in CAK — the overlapping routes they serve in Akron consistently preform worse than those they serve from Cleveland. CAK to MYR and LAS were cut in 2017 and looking at the stats for TPA and RSW, I’d say those routes are ill fated as well. Also, when Allegiant pulled out of CAK, they noted that a large majority of their passengers were coming from the Cleveland area.

I agree with your point, even though there are a few destinations such as BOS, LGA, and DCA that WN previously served nonstop from CAK but never served nonstop from CLE. WN also didn't serve ATL nonstop from CLE prior to WN pulling out of CAK.

greenair727

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:06 am

pmanni1 wrote:
Geowizical wrote:

I'd say, in the grand picture, none. Most of the pax were Hopkins' to begin with. CAK launched a heavy campaign to take pax from CLE--there were even billboads right outside Downtown CLE trying to get pax to use CAK over CLE---and help undermine and kill the UA hub. History is now correcting a wrong that was pushed by CAK.

greenair727

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:08 am

from Enilria's weekly OAG thread:

DL CLE-SLC JAN 0.6>0.8[0.0] FEB 0.5>0.7[0]

not much, but something is better than nothing!

CleSyrRoc

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:43 am

I agree that for a market of Cleveland's size, having two commercial airports did more harm than good for our service levels. Getting back above the 10 million mark will be an accomplishment the area can be proud of. Hopefully the growth continues.

avtcle

Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Looks like FedEx’s daily IND-CLE run is switching from an A300 to a B763! Cleveland’s cargo ramp was recently fitted to handle 767s so I figured this change would be coming...

swacle

Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:43 pm

jplatts wrote:

It had far more with UA's dehubbing than anything else.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32

CLEguy

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:13 am

Let's hope Aer Lingus uses one of their new A321LR for a new route to CLE soon!

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/aer-lin ... UZsJg72K2g

csizmpl

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:52 am

FedEx’s evening flight FX356 from KMEM is switching to the 763 as well.

ncflyer

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:04 pm

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2019/ ... orial.html

Nice to see the PD planting a seed regarding airport modernization. They seem to be the only ones. Best I can tell a master facility plan vendor hasn’t been selected yet that seems slow to me.

masseybrown

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:11 pm

Interesting comment by enilria regarding CLE-KEF:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1428147&p=21550455#p21550455

ncflyer

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:28 am

It is an interesting comment and of course Eniliria's the man when it comes to flight schedules. I feel like FI rollout in CLE was so haphazard/in some ways drowned out by WOW, and the withdrawal this summer so unfortunate (max issues outside of FI's control of course) that FI ought to do something to stay engaged in the community if they really are committed. Place an ad in the orchestra program like they used to do. Plant a story in the P.D. or Crain's. Give away free trips from CLE to Iceland. Something. I haven't paid enough attention at the airport to note if there are still signs up for Icelandair.

avtcle

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:43 am

We’ll see how this all plays out... If Aer Lingus adds Cleveland for 2020 you can bet that Icelandair won’t be sticking around. Cleveland showed stronger numbers and better loads with Icelandair at 5x weekly than Kansas City did at 3x weekly — however at the end of the day there must have been a specific reason why Kansas City stuck around instead of Cleveland. I’ll believe it when I see it!

joeman

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:21 am

The enilria comment is more positive then we were last led to believe about FI. I think MCI was giving subsidies in a different nature then CLE, the MAX wasn't an issue. Now we're thinking both FI and EI have interest, we don't know any incentive offers to EI, suppose FI still has unused portions of their original agreement, but neither currently has the equipment to make a possible commitment. I agree they both aren't going to happen in the same year and realistically, I think if FI actually comes on board, EI will to the next prospect on their review list. I don't have the same aspirations that some other mid-sized city a.netters have looking for a second or 3rd TATL carrier/destination nearly as soon as they get their 1st. Great if any TATL is re-established, hopefully permanently for a change.

Now if we could only get a carrier like AS to provide consistent year-round CLE-SEA, even if not daily in lower periods, like our surrounding neighbors of CMH, IND, CVG (DL), and PIT...

737MAX7

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:00 am

CLE saw it’s first 787-10 tonight as their TLV-EWR flight diverted. It was also joined by a UA 763 from TXL.

greenair727

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:38 pm

Frontier flight attendant steals a bag on Concourse A at CLE then brings it on board a flight that is about to take off. After the bag is reported stolen, CPD quickly found out what happened and catch the guy before the F9 flight departs--very fast and impressive work.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/loc ... stolen-bag

SgtBarone

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Just got back to CLE after a conference in Milwaukee. Looks like Delta is expanding into Gate B3. They are setting up a full kiosk rather than temporary signage. Makes sense with their recent route additions that they want more permanent space in B.
AGP ATL BCN BNA BOS CLE CLT DCA DEN FLG FLL FRA IAD IAH JAX LAX LGB MAD MCI MDW MKE MUC PHX RDU RSW SEA SJU SLC SNA TPA

plinth857

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 pm

SgtBarone wrote:
Just got back to CLE after a conference in Milwaukee. Looks like Delta is expanding into Gate B3. They are setting up a full kiosk rather than temporary signage. Makes sense with their recent route additions that they want more permanent space in B.

I know the Salt Lake City flight leaves from A11 - maybe this moves it into B!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos