keesje

Re: Airbus A220 (CSeries) Delivery/Production Thread - 2019

Fri May 10, 2019 4:38 pm

lightsaber wrote:
rrbsztk wrote:
Interesting that airfleets got it wrong. For reference 50### is a 100 and 55### is a 300.

I allow mistakes in free. :spin:

Overall, airfleets is good. With a time lag, that is.

I haven't found anything free that is better.
I heavily use it to track A220 in service as well as MD-80/90. You now know my opinion.

Hey, any rumors of A220 increase in validity of service? My opinion is that it is designed for far more than 60,000 FC and 90,000 FH. However, it will take far more sales to expand. In my dream world, I see growth to first:
80,000 FC, 120,000 FH. This is A320 level flight hours.

A CFRP wing should have no issue with 100,000 FC and basically unlimited flight hours. (See 787 with 200,000 FH certified, I bet the structure could take much more). AFAIK, the A220 should be able to match 737/MD-80 cycles and exceed on FH. But since testing is expensive, I doubt there is a business case for more than 160,000 FH and the 100k cycles. I only propose 160k FH as a nice multiple for maintenance. I know of details in the design I think would have issues at 120k FC.

Note:. Airbus will want to go to 120k FH. Until the A320 is certified for more, we won't see more on the A220 IMHO. Cest la vie.

Lightsaber

100k flight hours is like 30-35 years for a NB and you are looking for 160k? :wideeyed: I assume your buddies at Pratt come up with something that doesn’t fit before that time. If any oil is left over anyhow.. :worried:
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

lightsaber

Fri May 10, 2019 5:05 pm

keesje wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
rrbsztk wrote:
Interesting that airfleets got it wrong. For reference 50### is a 100 and 55### is a 300.

I heavily use it to track A220 in service as well as MD-80/90. You now know my opinion.

Hey, any rumors of A220 increase in validity of service? My opinion is that it is designed for far more than 60,000 FC and 90,000 FH. However, it will take far more sales to expand. In my dream world, I see growth to first:

A CFRP wing should have no issue with 100,000 FC and basically unlimited flight hours. (See 787 with 200,000 FH certified, I bet the structure could take much more). AFAIK, the A220 should be able to match 737/MD-80 cycles and exceed on FH. But since testing is expensive, I doubt there is a business case for more than 160,000 FH and the 100k cycles. I only propose 160k FH as a nice multiple for maintenance. I know of details in the design I think would have issues at 120k FC.

Note:. Airbus will want to go to 120k FH. Until the A320 is certified for more, we won't see more on the A220 IMHO. Cest la vie.

Lightsaber

100k flight hours is like 30-35 years for a NB and you are looking for 160k? :wideeyed: I assume your buddies at Pratt come up with something that doesn’t fit before that time. If any oil is left over anyhow.. :worried:

JetBlue averages 11.77 hours per day, I believe there is room to increase. That is 4300 hours/year. So a little less at 28 years for 120k.

LH is scrapping a 26 year old A320 soon as there aren't enough hours left to justify a heavy C check. I'm not aware of an aircraft taken to the limit as they must be maintained earlier at every step, so the last bit of life. Did you see the part on maintenance? Extending allowed hours cuts shop visits and thus costs.

I'm not sure what you mean by find something that fits... Airbus likes support revenue. If they didn't, the A320 would be stuck at 48k FC and 60k FH. They'll like it for their A220 too.

Oil? We'll find fuel. E.g., biofuels. It is amazing what Happens when the price goes up. Suppliers find more. When fuel is cheap, why bother?

CFRP allows cheap life extensions. The 787 certified for 200,000 FH is insane. I'm not aware of a widebody going past 150,000 FH. But customers like servicing on longer intervals...At 15.5 hours/day that is 35 years. There is no business case to pay extra for that durability. But greater aircraft availability due to longer C check intervals? That sells.

A c-check take n days if every 10,000 FH (IIRC current A220) or every 17,777 (160k). Corrosion limits are every 4 years. So for JetBlue, 160,000 FH means they would go to the shop due to corrosion days before hours. Higher cycle airlines would always maintain on cycles, even if certified on 120k. Meh...

I love the A220, NEO, and MAX corrosion margins. So much better than the old coatings (it is why all aircraft are mostly green today prior to painting).

Lightsaber

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

TropicalSky

Fri May 10, 2019 7:39 pm

I so love your posts....they're always informative and well written to be understood

lightsaber wrote:
keesje wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

JetBlue averages 11.77 hours per day, I believe there is room to increase. That is 4300 hours/year. So a little less at 28 years for 120k.

LH is scrapping a 26 year old A320 soon as there aren't enough hours left to justify a heavy C check. I'm not aware of an aircraft taken to the limit as they must be maintained earlier at every step, so the last bit of life. Did you see the part on maintenance? Extending allowed hours cuts shop visits and thus costs.

I'm not sure what you mean by find something that fits... Airbus likes support revenue. If they didn't, the A320 would be stuck at 48k FC and 60k FH. They'll like it for their A220 too.

Oil? We'll find fuel. E.g., biofuels. It is amazing what Happens when the price goes up. Suppliers find more. When fuel is cheap, why bother?

CFRP allows cheap life extensions. The 787 certified for 200,000 FH is insane. I'm not aware of a widebody going past 150,000 FH. But customers like servicing on longer intervals...At 15.5 hours/day that is 35 years. There is no business case to pay extra for that durability. But greater aircraft availability due to longer C check intervals? That sells.

A c-check take n days if every 10,000 FH (IIRC current A220) or every 17,777 (160k). Corrosion limits are every 4 years. So for JetBlue, 160,000 FH means they would go to the shop due to corrosion days before hours. Higher cycle airlines would always maintain on cycles, even if certified on 120k. Meh...

I love the A220, NEO, and MAX corrosion margins. So much better than the old coatings (it is why all aircraft are mostly green today prior to painting).

Lightsaber

Lightsaber

keesje

Sat May 11, 2019 12:49 am

lightsaber wrote:
keesje wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Lightsaber

Lightsaber

I think Jetblue has the highest utilization of any NB fleet, 11.7 hours a day is not typical. Probably because of their transcon and East coast operations. 4-6 cycles a day, 10 hours seems typical of a NB lifetime, globally. After 20-25 years better engine technology boils up, system MRO goes up, environmental restrictions come in, shortening the economical life time of an aircraft.

I think apart from thermodynamic improvements, propulsive efficiency requirements will keep driving higher bypass ratios. It seems at some point the aircraft configuration needs to adjust to that, maybe 100.000 hrs / 30 years after initial operations.. of course all estimations, averages. I like the CSeries too, specially with the big, quiet GTF's. But 160.000 hrs seems very long, specially for NB. Has any NB ever flown that much?

Spacepope

Sat May 11, 2019 2:30 am

keesje wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
keesje wrote:

Lightsaber

Lightsaber

I think Jetblue has the highest utilization of any NB fleet, 11.7 hours a day is not typical. Probably because of their transcon and East coast operations. 4-6 cycles a day, 10 hours seems typical of a NB lifetime, globally. After 20-25 years better engine technology boils up, system MRO goes up, environmental restrictions come in, shortening the economical life time of an aircraft.

I think apart from thermodynamic improvements, propulsive efficiency requirements will keep driving higher bypass ratios. It seems at some point the aircraft configuration needs to adjust to that, maybe 100.000 hrs / 30 years after initial operations.. of course all estimations, averages. I like the CSeries too, specially with the big, quiet GTF's. But 160.000 hrs seems very long, specially for NB. Has any NB ever flown that much?

Highest time airliner ever is one of KLM’s 744s. Had just north of 140,000 hours. Very few narrowbodies have cracked 100,000
The last of the famous international playboys

lightsaber

Sat May 11, 2019 3:23 am

keesje wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
keesje wrote:

Lightsaber

Lightsaber

No narrowbody has flown that much. None will.
No MD-80 ever flew 110,000 cycles. Heck, the top was scrapped just below 100k. None has flown the allowed 150,000 FH. But every operator appreciated the long maintenance schedules.

C checks can be at 1/9th or 1/16th of the total life. Most are going to the later (shorter checks). Every 3 (for 1/9th) or 4 c checks (for 1/16th) must complete the heavy maintenance cycle.

LH has worn out A320s on hours. The plane hasn't flown 120,000 FH. One doesn't perform a final heavy c-check unless at least 10,000+ FC and 20,000+ FH are usable after the check.

A cycle is good for one interval. For the A220, I believe it is on a similar patter (E-jets on 1/16th).

Do currently, a c-check must be at the earliest of:
4 year
6,666 cycles
10,000 FH.

I proposed a maintenance schedule that would be at the earliest:
4 years
11,111 cycles
17,700 FH

Since maintenance is roughly
25% line maintenance on airframe
25% line maintenance on engines
25% c-check (heavily biased toward heavy C checks)
25% engine overhauls.

What I propose saves about 14% in maintenance costs.

So this isn't for aircraft life, it is to perform the testing to extend maintenance intervals.

The #1 advantage of the huge PIP on the A320 going from 60,000 FH to 120,000 FH was going from a c-check every 6,666 FH to an extended 13,333 FH. Now reinforcements were required in the wing send tail section, but work to that took about 2 days in parallel with other c-check work and payed off by the next c-check.

I believe the A220 has the structure. Most of the FH cracking is the wing and tail. Cycles are found by cracks in the body, wing root, wing box, nacelles, pylons, flap Joints, and gear bays. CFRP is practically immune after 60,000 FH. So as long as the tail is built right, why not go for cycles? It cuts maintenance bills. If 1,000+ aircraft are sold, the enhanced maintenance plans are sold for enough to pay for testing.

Airbus is working to extend the A320 limit of validity. It isn't that an airline worries about wearing out an A320 24 years from now, it is the reduced maintenance.

The 737 has a limit of validity of 110,000 FC and 125,000 FH. For airlines that fly sub 2 hour missions, that means reduced maintenance costs in high cycle duty due to longer intervals for maintenance.

Wouldn't we want the A220 to have even longer intervals?

The extremes seen so far are widebodies. Airbus typically certifies for 36,000 FC and 160,000 FH. So long in hours and cycles that A340 and A380 are being scrapped at the first interval when maintenance inspections can no longer be differed or 12 years.

I see A220 being scrapped at the end of the 2nd interval (about 24 years) with significant differed work on the plan I proposed. So in effect, I am proposing 160,000 FH to certify to allow for a lower cost 2/3rds life of less than 106,666 FH.

A great example is the 787.
C-check every
4 years
7,333 cycles (Only Japan domestic, that I know of)
22,222 FH. Umm... Not happening.

The 787 sells well as maintenance is usually on the clock (corrosion limits). That makes it easy to plan.

Hopefully I have made it clear for economics for two heavy maintenance cycles, not for a 30+ year life I want to see the A220 FH certification brought up to 160,000 FH. Predictable maintenance intervals is easy to plan.

The current intervals are too short (every 10,000 FH).

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

SteelChair

Sat May 11, 2019 11:16 am

In my experience, aircraft flying domestic routes in the USA at a typical major normally fly about 2,800-3,000 hours/year. Widebodies Intl run about 4,800. That JetBlue get 4,300 hr/yr on an A320 is impressive.

I have seen very few domestic narrowbodies exceed 100,000 flight hours, but a few DC9s have actually exceeded that while only having 70ish,000 hours.

IIRC, the infamous Aloha 737 had 89,000 cycles when it had the tragic failure.

I would not be surprised to see A220 average stage lengths run 2-3 hours, which is quite high for a small mainline narrowbody in my experience. Its really not optimised for 40 minute flights imho.

The heavy maintenance intervals will be much longer for composite structures won't they? And yet, little is known about the long term maintainability of primary composite structure, while we have extensive knowledge of aluminum airplanes, right? The oldest 787s are only about 13 years old, but Airbus has made composite vertical stabs since the 80s on the A300 and A310 fleets.

All fwiw.....just offering up the info.

LSZH34

Sat May 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Update on Swiss' last two CS100?

SteelChair

Sun May 12, 2019 1:34 am

LSZH34 wrote:
Update on Swiss' last two CS100?

I have seen that question asked several times on these message board on the last 6 months. Apparently, no one knows the answer, or at least not anyone who is at liberty to say.

rrbsztk

Sun May 12, 2019 1:45 am

I can't remember which thread buy i distinctly remember someone saying one of the swiss a220 100s was about to get engines put on.

I have wondered to myself if they plan to deal with these 2 planes once they finish the construction at mirabel opening up space to work in.

HBChris

Sun May 12, 2019 7:26 am

Last rumor I heard was that they will be delivered in Q2 19, which would mean that they would have to start with the test flight within a month. But then again there were so many other rumored delivery dates that all turned out to be wrong so I don't really believe any of them anymore.

dodoma

Sun May 12, 2019 8:42 am

Swiss expect their last two CS100 until Summer 2019: https://swiss.newsmarket.com/german/pre ... dad5fdc3b1 (I included the German version of the press release, the English one is ambiguous over the entry date)

HaulSudson

Fri May 17, 2019 7:14 pm

2 delivered today?

Tominjsh

Fri May 17, 2019 8:40 pm

HaulSudson wrote:
2 delivered today?

at least one :)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxky4QgJA5I ... e5511gg20g

rrbsztk

Fri May 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Air Baltic definitely has one today. Delta has the x thousandth delivery scheduled for today. Not sure when it's supposed to leave so should be sometime this evening unless weather interferes flying to Atlanta.

Also air Baltic had a third flight on their next A220 earlier this week so that should be soonish.

SteelChair

Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Flightaware shows DL9960 cxld and BTI9801 was showing on Flightradar24 enroute to RIX a few minutes ago, but it disappeared once he went feet wet. (about 2120Z).)

Jetsouth

Sat May 18, 2019 12:21 am

Red Wing cancelled its order for the A220. Yet, on the production lists, the first two of their cancelled order are near completion. Any idea what is going to happen to these jets?

JayinKitsap

Mon May 20, 2019 6:22 am

Braathens appears to be cancelling, as the rumors noted earlier in this thread indicated.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... rops-a220s

keesje

Mon May 20, 2019 7:35 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
Braathens appears to be cancelling, as the rumors noted earlier in this thread indicated.

Radical. I remember they used to operate a significant 737 fleet.. But seems to make sense form Braathens perspective. A small jet sub fleet is expensive. A simpler cleaner 1 type fleet would slash costs.. An efficient operated turboprop regional operation would be hard to beat even by LCC's.. A220 would have opened different opportunities but apparently the airline made some drastic strategic choices.

Except for some longer sectors, the ATR 72-600 suits BRA’s network and commitment to reduce its CO2 footprint, he asserted. “Our ATR 72-600 version uses 40 percent less fuel and emits 40 percent less CO2 than a regional jet like the Bombardier CRJ900 or an Embraer E175.”

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ramis-photos/26947222124

rrbsztk

Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 pm

Delta has taken their next A220 delivery (the one originally scheduled for last week) which is Airbus's 12,000th delivery.

rrbsztk

Sat May 25, 2019 3:52 pm

Air Baltic 55054 is delivered currently en route to Europe. This is the 14th delivery this year.

carljanderson

Sat May 25, 2019 5:09 pm

What's the status of N111NG?

rrbsztk

Sat May 25, 2019 5:18 pm

Fligerfaust indicated later today BBA510 will be the first flight for 50030 - N111NG. I've noticed they hop around a lot with deltas A220s as far as the order delivered versus order of serial number It could be #30 had an issue which is why #31 and 32 are delivered and #33 is well into test flight. It could also be that with the current less than ideal factory space it just logistically made sense to go out of order.

NWADTWE16

Sat May 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Seems to be picking up nicely then. Forgive me if it's been said already but what is B6 delivery schedule?
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

rrbsztk

Sat May 25, 2019 7:27 pm

NWADTWE16 wrote:
Seems to be picking up nicely then. Forgive me if it's been said already but what is B6 delivery schedule?

YEAR......2019...2020...2021...2022...2023...2024...2025
Air Baltic.....8.......12.......12........4
Air Canada 1.......14........15......15
Air Vanuatu 0........2..........2
Delta..........24......18.......12.......17........15
EgyptAir.......6........6
Jet Blue.......0.........1.........6.........8........19.......22......2
Korean Air...1
"Moxy" ........0.........6.......12.......12........15.......15
Swiss.......... 2
??STLC??....6 (Red wings cancelled - is STLC still taking delivery)
TOTAL........48......59........59......56......49.......37........2

Data is mostly in post 59 and about130 in this thread (im on my phone so had to guess post#130)

NWADTWE16

Sat May 25, 2019 7:48 pm

excellent, thank you
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

Oykie

Sat May 25, 2019 8:34 pm

rrbsztk wrote:
Air Baltic 55054 is delivered currently en route to Europe. This is the 14th delivery this year.

I noticed t as it passed over Norway. Pretty impressive performance, even though empty to fly nonstop Montreal - Riga. I’m so excited to have my first flight on. A220 this summer :-)
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

Jetsouth

Sat May 25, 2019 11:23 pm

Delta's N111NG had its first flight today, and its N114DU is supposed to be delivered before month-end.

e7plnr

Sat May 25, 2019 11:39 pm

lightsaber wrote:
keesje wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Lightsaber

No narrowbody has flown that much. None will.
No MD-80 ever flew 110,000 cycles. Heck, the top was scrapped just below 100k. None has flown the allowed 150,000 FH. But every operator appreciated the long maintenance schedules.

C checks can be at 1/9th or 1/16th of the total life. Most are going to the later (shorter checks). Every 3 (for 1/9th) or 4 c checks (for 1/16th) must complete the heavy maintenance cycle.

LH has worn out A320s on hours. The plane hasn't flown 120,000 FH. One doesn't perform a final heavy c-check unless at least 10,000+ FC and 20,000+ FH are usable after the check.

A cycle is good for one interval. For the A220, I believe it is on a similar patter (E-jets on 1/16th).

Do currently, a c-check must be at the earliest of:
4 year
6,666 cycles
10,000 FH.

I proposed a maintenance schedule that would be at the earliest:
4 years
11,111 cycles
17,700 FH

Since maintenance is roughly
25% line maintenance on airframe
25% line maintenance on engines
25% c-check (heavily biased toward heavy C checks)
25% engine overhauls.

What I propose saves about 14% in maintenance costs.

So this isn't for aircraft life, it is to perform the testing to extend maintenance intervals.

The #1 advantage of the huge PIP on the A320 going from 60,000 FH to 120,000 FH was going from a c-check every 6,666 FH to an extended 13,333 FH. Now reinforcements were required in the wing send tail section, but work to that took about 2 days in parallel with other c-check work and payed off by the next c-check.

I believe the A220 has the structure. Most of the FH cracking is the wing and tail. Cycles are found by cracks in the body, wing root, wing box, nacelles, pylons, flap Joints, and gear bays. CFRP is practically immune after 60,000 FH. So as long as the tail is built right, why not go for cycles? It cuts maintenance bills. If 1,000+ aircraft are sold, the enhanced maintenance plans are sold for enough to pay for testing.

Airbus is working to extend the A320 limit of validity. It isn't that an airline worries about wearing out an A320 24 years from now, it is the reduced maintenance.

The 737 has a limit of validity of 110,000 FC and 125,000 FH. For airlines that fly sub 2 hour missions, that means reduced maintenance costs in high cycle duty due to longer intervals for maintenance.

Wouldn't we want the A220 to have even longer intervals?

The extremes seen so far are widebodies. Airbus typically certifies for 36,000 FC and 160,000 FH. So long in hours and cycles that A340 and A380 are being scrapped at the first interval when maintenance inspections can no longer be differed or 12 years.

I see A220 being scrapped at the end of the 2nd interval (about 24 years) with significant differed work on the plan I proposed. So in effect, I am proposing 160,000 FH to certify to allow for a lower cost 2/3rds life of less than 106,666 FH.

A great example is the 787.
C-check every
4 years
7,333 cycles (Only Japan domestic, that I know of)
22,222 FH. Umm... Not happening.

The 787 sells well as maintenance is usually on the clock (corrosion limits). That makes it easy to plan.

Hopefully I have made it clear for economics for two heavy maintenance cycles, not for a 30+ year life I want to see the A220 FH certification brought up to 160,000 FH. Predictable maintenance intervals is easy to plan.

The current intervals are too short (every 10,000 FH).

Lightsaber

Guys, your numbers for the A200 maintenance intervals are a bit off:

Maintenance advantages
As a result of its optimized maintenance program, advanced systems integration and high-technology engine design A220 fly more with higher maintenance intervals: 850 hours for “A” checks and 8,500 hours for “C” checks

https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corp ... Family.pdf

C-checks: 8500 FH/3 years/7500 flight cycles (FC)
Followed by 6 year check (double the C-check limits) and then 12 year visit (C-check accomplishment between at 9 years). Structures task determine the calendar limits with system/zonal tasks for FH and FC. There will also be ALI task due at specified intervals, system or structures (most due at or later than 12 year visit).

For operators like Delta and JetBlue with higher FH utilization, FH limit will drive the C-checks prior to the 3 year limit. It will be advantageous for both to “optimize” the FH interval allowing to take full advantage of the structures interval. The other option is to wait for Airbus to optimize the FH tasks at the industry level.

rrbsztk

Fri May 31, 2019 2:33 am

50033 - Delta 114DU delivered today. 15 so far this year.

audidudi

Fri May 31, 2019 3:16 am

rrbsztk wrote:

Delta received 3 in 2018 and 9 so far this year.

rrbsztk

Fri May 31, 2019 3:36 am

audidudi wrote:
rrbsztk wrote:

Sorry i could've been more clear :)

15 A220 deliveries this year total for Airbus.

audidudi

Fri May 31, 2019 3:46 am

rrbsztk wrote:
audidudi wrote:
rrbsztk wrote:

Sorry to disagree again, but these are the 2019 deliveries so far (17 total):

A220-100
Delta Air Lines...9

A220-300
Air Baltic...5
Air Tanzania...1
Korean Air...1
Swiss...1

Total...17

rrbsztk

Fri May 31, 2019 3:56 am

audidudi wrote:
rrbsztk wrote:
audidudi wrote:

Sorry to disagree again, but these are the 2019 deliveries so far (17 total):

A220-100
Delta Air Lines...9

A220-300
Air Baltic...5
Air Tanzania...1
Korean Air...1
Swiss...1

Total...17

Technically Air Tanzania and Swiss received delivery in December of 2018 so Airbus could "deliver" 800 plands in 2018.

gokmengs

Fri May 31, 2019 4:39 am

Guys I truly appreciated the conversation regarding the life cycle of certain planes and how it relates to A220, and I’m not on of those thread police type guys where I interfere but can we stick to A220 deliveries a bit:) now I understand the deliveries are so rare we all lose track of the subject out of boredom, when can we expect consistent Airbus level delivery from this production line? It feels like the Airbus magic wand hasn’t made the full effect due to lead times in this industry. Thanks
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

ikolkyo

Fri May 31, 2019 4:52 am

gokmengs wrote:
Guys I truly appreciated the conversation regarding the life cycle of certain planes and how it relates to A220, and I’m not on of those thread police type guys where I interfere but can we stick to A220 deliveries a bit:) now I understand the deliveries are so rare we all lose track of the subject out of boredom, when can we expect consistent Airbus level delivery from this production line? It feels like the Airbus magic wand hasn’t made the full effect due to lead times in this industry. Thanks

You realize they aren’t exactly delivering these things daily right?

VV

Fri May 31, 2019 6:32 am

gokmengs wrote:

How many built aircraft are in Mirabel today?

The number of built aircraft in storage could indicate the level of delivery surge toward the end of the year, including "deliveries" that are merely a transfer of title.

gokmengs

Fri May 31, 2019 9:29 am

VV wrote:
gokmengs wrote:

The number of built aircraft in storage could indicate the level of delivery surge toward the end of the year, including "deliveries" that are merely a transfer of title.

I am sure someone here might have a better answer to your question re: aircraft awaiting delivery, but after some thread reading I noticed @lightsaber -who I trust with his knowledge- foresee 18 months from agreement to a significant increase in production.

Bostrom

Fri May 31, 2019 9:56 am

keesje wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:

Radical. I remember they used to operate a significant 737 fleet.. But seems to make sense form Braathens perspective. A small jet sub fleet is expensive. A simpler cleaner 1 type fleet would slash costs.. An efficient operated turboprop regional operation would be hard to beat even by LCC's.. A220 would have opened different opportunities but apparently the airline made some drastic strategic choices.

That was a different airline. Braathens Regional (known as BRA) that is cancelling their A220 orders have never operated any 737s, their biggest aircraft has been the Avro RJ100. You're thinking about the old Braathens, Braathens SAFE, that was sold to SAS in 2001 and merged with SAS Norge in 2004.

rrbsztk

Fri May 31, 2019 5:09 pm

gokmengs wrote:
VV wrote:
gokmengs wrote:

I am sure someone here might have a better answer to your question re: aircraft awaiting delivery, but after some thread reading I noticed @lightsaber -who I trust with his knowledge- foresee 18 months from agreement to a significant increase in production.

I also have seen others besides lightsaber echo ~18 months.
Below is news clip about their mirabel plan which would help support a meaningful increase by 18 months.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... es-454148/
From dec 2018

"Airbus confirms it has kicked off construction of two new buildings in Mirabel that will enable the company to boost production of A220s.

The move precedes the Airbus's plan to open an A220 assembly site in the USA, and comes as it begins fulfilling major orders from several large North American airlines.

"To support our ramp up, we need extra space in Mirabel, so we’ve started construction work for two new dome structures which will be ready around spring 2019," Airbus tells FlightGlobal.

lightsaber

Fri May 31, 2019 10:42 pm

rrbsztk wrote:
gokmengs wrote:
VV wrote:

Below is news clip about their mirabel plan which would help support a meaningful increase by 18 months.

From dec 2018

"Airbus confirms it has kicked off construction of two new buildings in Mirabel that will enable the company to boost production of A220s.

The move precedes the Airbus's plan to open an A220 assembly site in the USA, and comes as it begins fulfilling major orders from several large North American airlines.

"To support our ramp up, we need extra space in Mirabel, so we’ve started construction work for two new dome structures which will be ready around spring 2019," Airbus tells FlightGlobal.

Please don't take what I say as 100% always right. I make mistakes, I learn. I didn't know Mirabel needed more space. I just know how long it minimum takes to make a difference. Or, the fastest I could given fair targets.

I always like large tooling budgets. ;)

Lightsaber

rrbsztk

Fri May 31, 2019 10:52 pm

lightsaber wrote:
rrbsztk wrote:
gokmengs wrote:

From dec 2018

Please don't take what I say as 100% always right. I make mistakes, I learn. I didn't know Mirabel needed more space. I just know how long it minimum takes to make a difference. Or, the fastest I could given fair targets.

I always like large tooling budgets. ;)

Lightsaber

Don't worry i don't take you as 100% accurate ever. Nor anyone else on here.

VV

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:14 am

gokmengs wrote:
VV wrote:
gokmengs wrote:

That's interesting.

I lost track of the current delivery count from Mirabel this year. Someone here said there have been 14 deliveries in 2019. So, they need to deliver the required to achieve their target this year, whatever that target is, during the remaining seven months.

Can somebody please tell us what the target was? Thank you.

Considering the on going negotiations with the unions, delivery ramp-up might not start before an agreement is reached. If anybody knows what the status is with those negotiations, please let us know.

gokmengs

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 am

ikolkyo wrote:
gokmengs wrote:

You realize they aren’t exactly delivering these things daily right?

now I understand the deliveries are so rare we all lose track of the subject out of boredom

It seems you skipped this sentence on my post so here it is underlined;)

kimimm19

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:52 am

Sorry if I missed it, but does anyone know the status of these buildings at Mirabel?

Also, pressumably, Airbus wouldn't be investing as much into buildings to increase production if they didn't have it on good authority from airlines that the lack of orders is primarily down to production rates?

flyingphil

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:11 am

Airbus A200 order book - looks like it needs updating..

I see that Airbus still has the ODYSSEY AIRLINES LTD order for 10 A220-200’s on its books.

https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corp ... -2019.xlsx

This start up was supposed to be operating out of London City Airport according to its website. http://www.flyody.com/home.aspx

There doesn’t appear to be any prospect of this airline actually operating so I was wondering why Airbus still keeps this order on its books?

The last accounts that Odyssey filed at the UK Companies House are available here - https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history.

Seems like a few of the other orders on its books look pretty shaky too..

SteelChair

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 pm

I would like to point out that production rate is still increasing.

In the first 5 months of 2017, they delivered 5, first 5 months of 2018=9, first 5 months of 2019=15.

17 were delivered in 2017, 33 last year. I predict over 50 this year. Meanwhile, the Mobile factory is going up. I think they could be in the region of 100 deliveries/year by end of 2021. As more delivery slots become available, more orders will come. They just have got to reach "critical mass" on this program and "get it over the hump."

They delivered more airplanes than Boeing did 737s in April and May.

rrbsztk

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Updated Formatting:
Bold is firmly reported in news
Underlined is reported by A.net users
Italics is deliveries evened out across years when no exact breakdown

Delivery Schedule of Reported A220 Deliveries
Air Baltic.....8.......12.......12........4
Air Canada 1.......14........15......15
Air Vanuatu 0........2..........2
Delta..........24......18.......12.......17........15
EgyptAir.......6........6
Jet Blue.......0.........1.........6.........8........19.......22......2
Korean Air...1
"Moxy" ........0.........6.......12.......12........15.......15
Swiss.......... 2
??STLC??....6 (Red wings cancelled - is STLC still taking delivery)
TOTAL........48......59........59......56......49.......37........2

Orders not included in table:
86 Unlikely to happen imho (10 Braathens, 10 Gulf Air, 10 Odyssey, 40 Republic, 16 Saudi Gulf)
7 Possibly to be added (2 Falcon Aviation, 5 Iraqi Airways)
74 Leasors to be added (20 LCI, 40 Macquaire, 14 IFC)
232 Existing Customer Options (30ea. Air Baltic, Air Canada, Swiss Air, 20 Korean, 60 Jet Blue, 12 EgyptAir, 50 Delta)

Data is in post 59 and 130 in this thread
Flight Global 10.26.18 Airbus near final agreement on Mobile A220 Line, Delta reported 23-24 in 2019

rrbsztk

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 pm

As far as delivery goal for 2019, I have looked fairly extensively and not found any official info from Airbus or Bombardier.
The information in the table for 2019 is pretty solid.
The only numbers that have not been explicitly reported are 1 for Air Canada 6 for Egypt Air.
-Air Canada did report 15 by end of 2020 with deliveries starting end of 2019. A.net user shared it's only 1 in 2019. If anything, they would deliver more than 1.
-EgyptAir reported 12 in 2019-2020 starting Junly 2019 and has MSN 55058-55063 for their first six (per https://www.abcdlist.nl/cseries/cseries.html). Their 7th is 55068 and 8th is 55074. Looking at the list, Air Baltic expects 55071 and Red Wings had expected 55072 and 55073 this year. Unless they really go out of order, since they plan to deliver up to 55073, I assume Egypt Air 55058-55063 will definitely be delivered and likely 55068 and maybe even 55074.So, if anything, they would be delivering more than 6.

Although there is no official delivery goal, I believe 48 is within a couple few of the delivery goal.
Obviously there's some uncertainty here, but
I feel it is safe to say the 2019 delivery goal is high 40s to 50.
(Note this is with Red Wings included - I'm hoping STLC has good news in Paris, but the goal post Red Wings cancellation maybe should be low to mid 40s)

As always, if you have additional or conflicting info please share.

wrongwayup

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Air Canada reports fleet plan quarterly, through the end of the next calendar year. Current plan is 1 between now and Dec 2019 (I have it on good authority it's scheduled for December) and 14 more through end of Dec 2020. See page 19 here:

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/a ... MDA_q1.pdf

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos