• 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:56 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
BNIA construction also includes expanding the airplane parking on the west side of the airport for more RONs. to be parked at night. Found that interesting because that was not talked about during the airport expansion upgrade.


What’s with all the RON space. Don’t they already have a crap-ton of RON space over on the east side of 32?
 
maximairways
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:05 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
BNIA construction also includes expanding the airplane parking on the west side of the airport for more RONs. to be parked at night. Found that interesting because that was not talked about during the airport expansion upgrade.


They did talk about it. I can't find the article but there are renderings showing this, and a new parallel taxiway for rwy 14.

Here is the 2013 masterplan, showing that. The 32 RON parking would disappear

https://imgur.com/zIbE5hu
 
jworks158
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:14 am

Today while chasing down a Jetblue Mint A321 Diversion into ROC I noticed a DC-3 surrounded by airport fire on the end of Runway 28. After driving around the airport to get a clean picture which was hard due to location and the weather at the time, I found a new location to be able to get a clean shot (by the DHL facility.

I composed a tweet with a little bit of history about the bird, which is quite interesting N345AB was one of the lead aircraft during D-Day and battle of normandy.

After contacting Tom Podolec the guru of emergencies/diversions, and consulting flightradar24 data it was determined that the 76 year old DC-3/C-47 rejected it's takeoff after suffering a blown tire. I have provided photos to the airports fire service for use on their social media etc..

Thread on Jetblue Mint A321 Diversion (with unedited photos): https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/sta ... 93504?s=20
Thread on Jetblue Mint A321 Diversion (with edited photos): https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/sta ... 45377?s=20
Thread on 76 year old N345AB Rejected Takeoff + Blown Tire (with pictures): https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/sta ... 27616?s=20
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
ROCDLFAN
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:43 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:20 am

jworks158 wrote:
Today while chasing down a Jetblue Mint A321 Diversion into ROC I noticed a DC-3 surrounded by airport fire on the end of Runway 28. After driving around the airport to get a clean picture which was hard due to location and the weather at the time, I found a new location to be able to get a clean shot (by the DHL facility.

I composed a tweet with a little bit of history about the bird, which is quite interesting N345AB was one of the lead aircraft during D-Day and battle of normandy.

After contacting Tom Podolec the guru of emergencies/diversions, and consulting flightradar24 data it was determined that the 76 year old DC-3/C-47 rejected it's takeoff after suffering a blown tire. I have provided photos to the airports fire service for use on their social media etc..

Thread on Jetblue Mint A321 Diversion (with unedited photos): https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/sta ... 93504?s=20
Thread on Jetblue Mint A321 Diversion (with edited photos): https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/sta ... 45377?s=20
Thread on 76 year old N345AB Rejected Takeoff + Blown Tire (with pictures): https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/sta ... 27616?s=20


Fantastic shots! I saw it just before it came into A5 as I was leaving today and it’s always a great sight to say. About 3-5 times a year for one reason or another the B6 321 ends up here in ROC.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."
 
ROCDLFAN
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:43 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Wed May 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Thought this was funny. Apparently B6 and B8 jetbridges (two of the 3 newest at ROC) were down this morning, so UA had to borrow A1 for the 8am ORD. Pulling in this morning I just saw the shadow in the darkness and assumed it was a casino charter, it wasn’t until I heard the commotion and went outside myself that I saw it to believe it:

https://imgur.com/gallery/VkIfHSd
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."
 
BUFJACK10
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:09 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Thu May 09, 2019 12:20 am

A pretty good article on the beginning of and $80 million renovation at BNIA. The original new terminal cost somewhere in the vicinity of $56 million in the 90's, even adjusted for inflation it's a pretty hefty budget for improvements.


https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/06/80-m ... the-chaos/
AA AK AL AQ AS B6 CO DL EA FL F9 HP KN NY MO NW PA PE PI RC QX TW UA UR US WN AF AN AO CS IB OA TR VS
A300 A319 A320 BAE146 BAC111 DC8 DC9 DC10 MD80 707 717 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 L10 F27 F28 F100 ERJ CRJ SE-210 SSC B1900 ATR42 ATR72 DH8 E120 SWM
 
Buffalomatt1027
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 2:32 am

BUFJACK10 wrote:
A pretty good article on the beginning of and $80 million renovation at BNIA. The original new terminal cost somewhere in the vicinity of $56 million in the 90's, even adjusted for inflation it's a pretty hefty budget for improvements.


https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/06/80-m ... the-chaos/



Its kind of crazy how construction is going to take 2 years? Its honestly not a huge project and kind of improving on things people nitpick. The luggage area upgrade is the only truly necessary thing needing to be done to the airport.

The RON expansion that was never talked about is also being done right now. ( i mentioned that in a previous post) They never announced that.


But overall, hopefully the expansion attracts more Canadians and the airport can up its passenger count from last year.
 
DCA-ROCguy
Posts: 4172
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2000 5:03 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 2:51 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:
Thought this was funny. Apparently B6 and B8 jetbridges (two of the 3 newest at ROC) were down this morning, so UA had to borrow A1 for the 8am ORD. Pulling in this morning I just saw the shadow in the darkness and assumed it was a casino charter, it wasn’t until I heard the commotion and went outside myself that I saw it to believe it: https://imgur.com/gallery/VkIfHSd


There was a time decades ago when UA 727's and 737's parked in that very area!

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)
 
Roots1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:38 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Southwest is increasing ROC-BWI from 3x to 4x in August.
 
ROCDLFAN
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:43 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Roots1 wrote:
Southwest is increasing ROC-BWI from 3x to 4x in August.


Wow. If that sticks, BWI then is on course to seriously compete with ORD as the top route N/S from ROC. Some nice reassurance, especially since ROC isn’t exactly the place you send planes when you just have an extra laying around so you know the demand is there. Anyone have any stats on the routes performance by chance?
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."
 
MO11
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue May 14, 2019 7:36 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:
Roots1 wrote:
Southwest is increasing ROC-BWI from 3x to 4x in August.


Wow. If that sticks, BWI then is on course to seriously compete with ORD as the top route N/S from ROC. Some nice reassurance, especially since ROC isn’t exactly the place you send planes when you just have an extra laying around so you know the demand is there. Anyone have any stats on the routes performance by chance?


BDL-BWI went from 6 in April to 8 in May to 5 in June and beyond. May be more rhyme than reason.
 
ROCDLFAN
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:43 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 am

Per the minutes from this past regular meeting of the MCAA, the airport authority has a meeting with F9 coming up to go after MCO and DEN service. Considering they serve BUF, SYR, and ALB, this isn’t a far stretch.

Also, ROC started work on replacing B2 today with a new jerbridge. B2 is one of the only gates that is not currently either leased or used as a reserve gate for another airline, so I can’t help but think that when the director mentions being “move-in ready” he’s referring to having a new, open gate.

https://www2.monroecounty.gov/files/air ... -15-19.pdf
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."
 
ROCDLFAN
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:43 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sat May 18, 2019 11:46 pm

Maddog replacements officially hitting the schedule. First on the docket is BUF, last MD flight will be 3/1/20, starting 3/2/20 all 5 ATL flights are moving to the A320. Nothing posted yet for ROC/SYR/ALB.

It is noteworthy to mention that, although I only checked a handful of other cities to show that this is a purposeful change reflecting on the Maddog retirement, BUF is not the only city who has this change occurring on the same date.
Eff March 2nd 2020 (all ATL)
Cities going all A320: BUF, PIT
Cities going all 737 family: EWR, RIC, BNA, BWI, CVG
Cities going to a mix of 737/A320/and or 717: CMH, IAD

Correction: CMH appears to be down to 1-2 MD aircraft, not fully replaced.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."
 
jworks158
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun May 19, 2019 2:25 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:
Also, ROC started work on replacing B2 today with a new jerbridge. B2 is one of the only gates that is not currently either leased or used as a reserve gate for another airline, so I can’t help but think that when the director mentions being “move-in ready” he’s referring to having a new, open gate.


Pictures of the old B2 removed, and New B2 attached (https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/status/1129861155189600257)

Also Quebec City Airport YQB announced that they had started the installation of planes spotting camera holes in fences around their airport. So most of #avgeek twitter has tagged their local airports in the post https://twitter.com/TomPodolec/status/1129586222383411200
Some airports like YVR have even responded saying "great idea, we have forwarded it to the appropriate department to review"

I tagged ROC airport in the post https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/status/1130087954674782209, while I don't expect a response from them, if anyone knows anyone able to submit the suggestion more formally it would be great if you could do so!

Lastly I have noticed that the canopy lights have been off recently does anyone know why?
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
Buffalomatt1027
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 12:38 am

ROCDLFAN wrote:
Per the minutes from this past regular meeting of the MCAA, the airport authority has a meeting with F9 coming up to go after MCO and DEN service. Considering they serve BUF, SYR, and ALB, this isn’t a far stretch.

Also, ROC started work on replacing B2 today with a new jerbridge. B2 is one of the only gates that is not currently either leased or used as a reserve gate for another airline, so I can’t help but think that when the director mentions being “move-in ready” he’s referring to having a new, open gate.

https://www2.monroecounty.gov/files/air ... -15-19.pdf


BUF already has F9 MCO and Denver service.... but definitely interesting for the other 2 cities.
 
ROCDLFAN
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:43 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 3:38 am

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
ROCDLFAN wrote:
Per the minutes from this past regular meeting of the MCAA, the airport authority has a meeting with F9 coming up to go after MCO and DEN service. Considering they serve BUF, SYR, and ALB, this isn’t a far stretch.

Also, ROC started work on replacing B2 today with a new jerbridge. B2 is one of the only gates that is not currently either leased or used as a reserve gate for another airline, so I can’t help but think that when the director mentions being “move-in ready” he’s referring to having a new, open gate.

https://www2.monroecounty.gov/files/air ... -15-19.pdf


BUF already has F9 MCO and Denver service.... but definitely interesting for the other 2 cities.



MCAA = Monroe County Airport Authority, AKA ROC. Not talking about BUF, stating that because they already serve SYR, ALB, and BUF, adding ROC with those two routes would make a lot of sense to complete their network.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

I was watching the Syracuse Airport webcams and noticed a couple private planes had to use customs at gate 12. Every plane that needs customs has to use gate 12. This gate is all the way down in the corner of the alley between the two concourses. Would it not make more sense to make gate 15, which is kind of off by itself on the southern side of the terminal, the customs gate? Then gate 12 can be made a regular gate again like the other gates on the concourse which the Airport can then lease out to an airline? Just makes sense to me.
 
teneriffe77
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:00 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sat May 25, 2019 7:56 pm

I've been think the same way about using gate 15 as a customs gate myself although the offices would have to be upstairs due to the baggage claim downstairs. Also gate 12 can still be used by customs flights and a regular scheduled flight. I know this as I took the the Air Canada express 1900D flight last October just before it ended and for some reason a UAEX E-170 was parked at gate 12 so space isn't an issue. I know during the winter B6 uses B-12 as a RON gate due to them have the FLL, MCO and BOS flights all on the ground at once.
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1318
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun May 26, 2019 2:43 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
I was watching the Syracuse Airport webcams and noticed a couple private planes had to use customs at gate 12. Every plane that needs customs has to use gate 12. This gate is all the way down in the corner of the alley between the two concourses. Would it not make more sense to make gate 15, which is kind of off by itself on the southern side of the terminal, the customs gate? Then gate 12 can be made a regular gate again like the other gates on the concourse which the Airport can then lease out to an airline? Just makes sense to me.

Gate 14 can also handle Customs, but no other gates can, because those two gates are attached to a corridor that leads below the concourse, where the Customs facility is. For many years, gate 14 was Northwest's which did not fly international flights from SYR.
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun May 26, 2019 4:42 am

Towards the end of Air Canada’s presence in SYR they didn’t need to use the customs as most if not all of their flights were cleared before they left Canada (US Pre-Clearance)
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1318
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun May 26, 2019 1:03 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Towards the end of Air Canada’s presence in SYR they didn’t need to use the customs as most if not all of their flights were cleared before they left Canada (US Pre-Clearance)

Air Canada used gate 14 (or maybe 12, but the hard stand for 14), not because they needed the Customs facility, but because they flew a B1900. Since the construction of the central TSA checkpoint, the space for gate 14 and gate 27 hard stands are much smaller, however they do still exist. I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard in the past that certain airports have made arrangements for Canadian flights so they can support Customs on either end of the flight, in case there was an operational problem in Canada.
 
BUFJACK10
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:09 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Thu May 30, 2019 12:56 pm

American’s BUF - DFW must be doing pretty good, I was checking random dates in June, July and August and it’s upgraded from an A319 to a B738. Good to see, maybe it’ll encourage to add additional nonstops from DFW to the other major upstate airports
AA AK AL AQ AS B6 CO DL EA FL F9 HP KN NY MO NW PA PE PI RC QX TW UA UR US WN AF AN AO CS IB OA TR VS
A300 A319 A320 BAE146 BAC111 DC8 DC9 DC10 MD80 707 717 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 L10 F27 F28 F100 ERJ CRJ SE-210 SSC B1900 ATR42 ATR72 DH8 E120 SWM
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1318
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Thu May 30, 2019 1:03 pm

BUFJACK10 wrote:
American’s BUF - DFW must be doing pretty good, I was checking random dates in June, July and August and it’s upgraded from an A319 to a B738. Good to see, maybe it’ll encourage to add additional nonstops from DFW to the other major upstate airports

That would be great if DFW could return to SYR, and maybe that would spur UA to consider IAH. For now, I'm happy that they are starting SYR-DEN next week. I have that flight booked for Christmas and my parents are using it next month when they come into town. I would love to know why UA felt SYR was the city worth trying the Nonstop to DEN. I predicted that F9 would get UA to compete against them, but F9 also flies DEN-BUF/ALB, and UA hasn't done anything with those larger markets. Is it WN scaring them off? WN only flies ALB-DEN once a week.
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Fri May 31, 2019 3:23 pm

I was just wondering if the new SYR-DEN United Express flight starting next week will become the longest scheduled flight for OO and the E175. United has the flight at 1,504 miles. Anybody know of any longer E-175 flights than that?
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1318
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Fri May 31, 2019 7:25 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
I was just wondering if the new SYR-DEN United Express flight starting next week will become the longest scheduled flight for OO and the E175. United has the flight at 1,504 miles. Anybody know of any longer E-175 flights than that?

I don't know what the longest one is, but IAH-RNO is 1530 mi, so just a hair longer.
 
Buffalomatt1027
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Fri May 31, 2019 8:14 pm

BUFJACK10 wrote:
American’s BUF - DFW must be doing pretty good, I was checking random dates in June, July and August and it’s upgraded from an A319 to a B738. Good to see, maybe it’ll encourage to add additional nonstops from DFW to the other major upstate airports


Only negative is ...... American downgraded their early morning / late night flights from an A321 to an A320 during the summer. Wonder if we will get the a321 back anytime soon. The only full time A321 service we have is f9 orlando and ft myers f9 a321.
 
jworks158
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:34 pm

On Friday ROC had a visit from a C-2A

Pictures and a description: https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/status/1135006491394490368
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
BatonOps
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:47 pm

The ITH expansion and renovation project is moving right along...

https://flyithaca.com/2019/05/ith-construction-update/
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:25 pm

BatonOps wrote:
The ITH expansion and renovation project is moving right along...

https://flyithaca.com/2019/05/ith-construction-update/


Looking good.

On the service side I wouldn't be surprised if AA moved one of their 2 BOS-ROC flights to ITH.
 
jworks158
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:46 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
BatonOps wrote:
The ITH expansion and renovation project is moving right along...

https://flyithaca.com/2019/05/ith-construction-update/


Looking good.

On the service side I wouldn't be surprised if AA moved one of their 2 BOS-ROC flights to ITH.


Two things,
1st AE operates 3 daily BOS-ROC flights.
2nd I find it highly unlikely that AA will start a new regional route out of BOS, as they have only been reducing regional flying out of BOS.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:58 pm

jworks158 wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
BatonOps wrote:
The ITH expansion and renovation project is moving right along...

https://flyithaca.com/2019/05/ith-construction-update/


Looking good.

On the service side I wouldn't be surprised if AA moved one of their 2 BOS-ROC flights to ITH.


Two things,
1st AE operates 3 daily BOS-ROC flights.
2nd I find it highly unlikely that AA will start a new regional route out of BOS, as they have only been reducing regional flying out of BOS.


Great. Even more reason to move one to ITH. SYR gets by on just one flight a day. And they're not adding more regional flying doing this. They'd just be changing one ROC flight to ITH.
 
ROCDLFAN
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:43 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:35 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

Looking good.

On the service side I wouldn't be surprised if AA moved one of their 2 BOS-ROC flights to ITH.


Two things,
1st AE operates 3 daily BOS-ROC flights.
2nd I find it highly unlikely that AA will start a new regional route out of BOS, as they have only been reducing regional flying out of BOS.


Great. Even more reason to move one to ITH. SYR gets by on just one flight a day. And they're not adding more regional flying doing this. They'd just be changing one ROC flight to ITH.


But what is the reasoning behind it? I’d find it extremely unlikely that they’re ever going to add another regional route out of BOS ever again. The only reason that SYR, ROC, And MDT still exist is because they operate on extremely high yields. Moving a flight to another station where there’s no proof of any demand would be highly moronic and would then pull yield from a route that’s performing perfectly fine. As soon as SYR, ROC and MDT yields dip, AA will pull the routes in the blink of an eye.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."
 
Roots1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:38 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:34 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
jworks158 wrote:

Two things,
1st AE operates 3 daily BOS-ROC flights.
2nd I find it highly unlikely that AA will start a new regional route out of BOS, as they have only been reducing regional flying out of BOS.


Great. Even more reason to move one to ITH. SYR gets by on just one flight a day. And they're not adding more regional flying doing this. They'd just be changing one ROC flight to ITH.


But what is the reasoning behind it? I’d find it extremely unlikely that they’re ever going to add another regional route out of BOS ever again. The only reason that SYR, ROC, And MDT still exist is because they operate on extremely high yields. Moving a flight to another station where there’s no proof of any demand would be highly moronic and would then pull yield from a route that’s performing perfectly fine. As soon as SYR, ROC and MDT yields dip, AA will pull the routes in the blink of an eye.


Exactly right. BOS-ROC/SYR (along with MDT) are legacy US Airways routes. If anything they will come down sooner rather than later, particularly if JetBlue increases either above 1x daily.

AA is not adding new regional flying from BOS, especially to a place like Ithaca. If anything they would add DCA or ORD to ITH long before BOS.
 
DCA-ROCguy
Posts: 4172
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2000 5:03 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:08 pm

And why would AA "need" to "change" one ROC flight to ITH if they wanted to add one in ITH? What's with the anti-ROC zero-sum game thinking here? Is there really a market from the Ithaca-Cortland MSA, population 145,000, to justify a non-hub flight anyway?

As Roots1 notes, if B6 increases either ROC-BOS or SYR-BOS beyond 1x daily, AA would likely leave the route. ITH's service patterns suggest they are more likely to see an additional hub route, it seems to me, than a PTP regional business route. In addition to ORD or DCA, ATL seems to me a possibility.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)
 
BatonOps
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:10 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
BatonOps wrote:
The ITH expansion and renovation project is moving right along...

https://flyithaca.com/2019/05/ith-construction-update/


Looking good.

On the service side I wouldn't be surprised if AA moved one of their 2 BOS-ROC flights to ITH.


I'd like to see ITH add service to ORD on either AA or UA.
 
jworks158
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:12 am

jworks158 wrote:
On Friday ROC had a visit from a C-2A

Pictures and a description: https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/status/1135006491394490368


Here is a video of the C-2A Engine startup at the 700 ramp. https://twitter.com/theOrangetechie/status/1135328973737668610
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
teneriffe77
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:00 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:32 am

I noticed that DL is doing it's usual reduction of BGM-DTW from 3 to 2 for the winter which means on some days due to G4, OGS will have more capacity than BGM. This quite the change from a few years ago when OGS just had a few Cape Air C402 flights to ALB while BGM had USEX to PHL, DL to DTW and UAEX to IAD.
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Delta has officially classified BOS as a hub, in addition they’ve classified BNA, RDU, and SJC as focus cities. https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... th-458669/
I know DL added BUF-BOS almost a year ago. What does this mean for the upstate NY area? Could BUF (maybe even other cities) see DL service to one of their new focus cities?
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
DCA-ROCguy
Posts: 4172
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2000 5:03 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:11 pm

I'd guess these announcements by Delta mean little for Upstate NY. I doubt Delta is interested in legacy US Airways regional routes--with a 'hub' of 150 flights a day, really more of a large focus city, more likely higher-yield transatlantic and big-city routes. And SJC and AUS are probably far too few PDEW for any legacy to be interested in serving UNY directly.

However....given how gangbusters Austin seems to be growing, 2x weekly Frontier on BUF-AUS doesn't sound entirely implausible.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)
 
ROCDLFAN
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:43 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:41 am

The only route I could potentially see being added would be BUF-RDU 1X daily on a -200, and even that would be a huuuuge stretch.

I’d say that so far B6 and AA are both still running solid operations on their own for BOS from ROC, but I still believe that DL will get in the mix sooner or later, especially once AA eventually leaves. SYR can’t handle the BOS capacity it has now based on the load reports that were in the B6 network thread last week I believe it was, so I highly doubt they’d ass BOS unless they at minimum swapped it out for a JFK flight, and that wouldn’t make sense.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:36 am

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
I'd guess these announcements by Delta mean little for Upstate NY. I doubt Delta is interested in legacy US Airways regional routes--with a 'hub' of 150 flights a day, really more of a large focus city, more likely higher-yield transatlantic and big-city routes. And SJC and AUS are probably far too few PDEW for any legacy to be interested in serving UNY directly.

However....given how gangbusters Austin seems to be growing, 2x weekly Frontier on BUF-AUS doesn't sound entirely implausible.

Jim


Didn't F9 already try BUF-AUS before and ended up dropping it?
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:45 am

ROCDLFAN wrote:
SYR can’t handle the BOS capacity it has now based on the load reports that were in the B6 network thread last week I believe it was, so I highly doubt they’d ass BOS unless they at minimum swapped it out for a JFK flight, and that wouldn’t make sense.


Plus, DL would want the BOS flight in late to RON for the morning like the others and they don't have any gate space left to park another plane on top of the five that already RON. Unless they are willing to park it on a stand away from the terminal.
 
Buffalomatt1027
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:38 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Delta has officially classified BOS as a hub, in addition they’ve classified BNA, RDU, and SJC as focus cities. https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... th-458669/
I know DL added BUF-BOS almost a year ago. What does this mean for the upstate NY area? Could BUF (maybe even other cities) see DL service to one of their new focus cities?


BUF - BNA seems possible. Southwest is trying it this fall for a few flights. So BUF has some sort of demand there.
 
tphuang
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:50 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:
The only route I could potentially see being added would be BUF-RDU 1X daily on a -200, and even that would be a huuuuge stretch.

I’d say that so far B6 and AA are both still running solid operations on their own for BOS from ROC, but I still believe that DL will get in the mix sooner or later, especially once AA eventually leaves. SYR can’t handle the BOS capacity it has now based on the load reports that were in the B6 network thread last week I believe it was, so I highly doubt they’d ass BOS unless they at minimum swapped it out for a JFK flight, and that wouldn’t make sense.


SYR can't handle more capacity even if AA leaves. ROC can if AA leaves. Either way, I don't see DL lasting long term in these BOS-upstate new york routes. BOS-BUF has to be one of the worst performing routes in their entire system.
 
jworks158
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:54 pm

Some big equipment changes at ROC airport coming up this week, data from flightradar24 route screen

Weekday Schedules Only, unless otherwise noted

Delta
ROC-ATL June 7th (1x MD90, 2xMD88) June 9th (1x 738, 2x B717)^
MSP-ROC June 8th (1x B717), June 9th (1x A319)
DTW-ROC June 7th (1x A319, 1x CRJ700, 2x CRJ900) June 10th (1x B717, 1x CRJ700, 2x CRJ900)
LGA-ROC No Changes
JFK-ROC June 7th (2x CRJ900, 1x CRJ200), June 8th (3x CRJ900)

United
EWR- ROC June 5th (1x 739, 1x E145 on the reverse route 1x E175 instead of E145), June 6th (4x E145)
*ORD-ROC June 5th (2x 739, 1x A319, 1x E175 on the reverse route 1x 145 instead of E175) June 7th (1x A320, 3x 738**)
IAD-ROC June 5th (1x CRJ200, 1x ERJ 145, 1x CRJ700) June 6th (***1x E145 or CRJ200, 2x CRJ700)

American Airlines
ORD-ROC No Changes
BOS - ROC No changes except it seems this week on two days this week only there is a 4th frequency****
DCA-ROC June 5th (1x E175, 1x E145, 2x CRJ200) June 6th (1x E145, 2x CRJ145)
PHL-ROC No Changes
CLT-ROC No Changes

Southwest
TPA-ROC June 8th (1x 73W) June 9th (0x) Nothing in the system past June 8th (Dummy booking for the following week confirms this)
MCO-ROC No changes
BWI-ROC No changes

JetBlue
No changes


*The most frequent type used on the route, other mainline types do come but at random
** This means we may get to see the new UA livery at ROC
*** This frequency is replaced on the weekend by an extra CRJ700
**** Recently Piedmont started flying some of the DCA frequencies and it appears they are using this route to switch the E145 in to DCA
^ This seems to be a big capacity cut
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
flyrocoak
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:41 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
BatonOps wrote:
The ITH expansion and renovation project is moving right along...

https://flyithaca.com/2019/05/ith-construction-update/


On the service side I wouldn't be surprised if AA moved one of their 2 BOS-ROC flights to ITH.


Do you think that ROC is pulling in that many travelers from the Ithaca region on that flight? It's far more likely that Ithaca passengers are leveraging Syracuse which is quite a bit closer. I can't imagine ROC gets much of a bump at all from the Ithaca region beyond Southwest.
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1318
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:55 pm

flyrocoak wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
BatonOps wrote:
The ITH expansion and renovation project is moving right along...

https://flyithaca.com/2019/05/ith-construction-update/


On the service side I wouldn't be surprised if AA moved one of their 2 BOS-ROC flights to ITH.


Do you think that ROC is pulling in that many travelers from the Ithaca region on that flight? It's far more likely that Ithaca passengers are leveraging Syracuse which is quite a bit closer. I can't imagine ROC gets much of a bump at all from the Ithaca region beyond Southwest.

From downtown Ithaca, Google maps says 1hr 13 min to Syracuse airport, 1 hr 48 min to Rochester airport, so it is farther, but in planning your day before a flight, I would probably round that to an extra half an hour. I live in the Utica area, and I have regularly driven past SYR on my way to ROC for cheaper flights and additional flight times.
 
ROCDLFAN
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:43 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:46 pm

jworks158 wrote:
Some big equipment changes at ROC airport coming up this week, data from flightradar24 route screen

Weekday Schedules Only, unless otherwise noted

Delta
ROC-ATL June 7th (1x MD90, 2xMD88) June 9th (1x 738, 2x B717)^
MSP-ROC June 8th (1x B717), June 9th (1x A319)
DTW-ROC June 7th (1x A319, 1x CRJ700, 2x CRJ900) June 10th (1x B717, 1x CRJ700, 2x CRJ900)
LGA-ROC No Changes
JFK-ROC June 7th (2x CRJ900, 1x CRJ200), June 8th (3x CRJ900)

United
EWR- ROC June 5th (1x 739, 1x E145 on the reverse route 1x E175 instead of E145), June 6th (4x E145)
*ORD-ROC June 5th (2x 739, 1x A319, 1x E175 on the reverse route 1x 145 instead of E175) June 7th (1x A320, 3x 738**)
IAD-ROC June 5th (1x CRJ200, 1x ERJ 145, 1x CRJ700) June 6th (***1x E145 or CRJ200, 2x CRJ700)

American Airlines
ORD-ROC No Changes
BOS - ROC No changes except it seems this week on two days this week only there is a 4th frequency****
DCA-ROC June 5th (1x E175, 1x E145, 2x CRJ200) June 6th (1x E145, 2x CRJ145)
PHL-ROC No Changes
CLT-ROC No Changes

Southwest
TPA-ROC June 8th (1x 73W) June 9th (0x) Nothing in the system past June 8th (Dummy booking for the following week confirms this)
MCO-ROC No changes
BWI-ROC No changes

JetBlue
No changes


*The most frequent type used on the route, other mainline types do come but at random
** This means we may get to see the new UA livery at ROC
*** This frequency is replaced on the weekend by an extra CRJ700
**** Recently Piedmont started flying some of the DCA frequencies and it appears they are using this route to switch the E145 in to DCA
^ This seems to be a big capacity cut


The runway construction should be starting any day now. The 738 on ATL in the morning will be cool to see, but the 2X 717 turns are going to suck, in short. The MD’s aren’t being scheduled up here during the construction and that capacity cut will be felt.

It looks like the Seasonal TPA reduction is happening two months early this year, most likely due to the MAX cuts. BWI will be up to 4X frequency at the end of July as mentioned, and TPA will be back in the fall.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."
 
jworks158
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:36 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
Some big equipment changes at ROC airport coming up this week, data from flightradar24 route screen

Weekday Schedules Only, unless otherwise noted

Delta
ROC-ATL June 7th (1x MD90, 2xMD88) June 9th (1x 738, 2x B717)^
MSP-ROC June 8th (1x B717), June 9th (1x A319)
DTW-ROC June 7th (1x A319, 1x CRJ700, 2x CRJ900) June 10th (1x B717, 1x CRJ700, 2x CRJ900)
LGA-ROC No Changes
JFK-ROC June 7th (2x CRJ900, 1x CRJ200), June 8th (3x CRJ900)

United
EWR- ROC June 5th (1x 739, 1x E145 on the reverse route 1x E175 instead of E145), June 6th (4x E145)
*ORD-ROC June 5th (2x 739, 1x A319, 1x E175 on the reverse route 1x 145 instead of E175) June 7th (1x A320, 3x 738**)
IAD-ROC June 5th (1x CRJ200, 1x ERJ 145, 1x CRJ700) June 6th (***1x E145 or CRJ200, 2x CRJ700)

American Airlines
ORD-ROC No Changes
BOS - ROC No changes except it seems this week on two days this week only there is a 4th frequency****
DCA-ROC June 5th (1x E175, 1x E145, 2x CRJ200) June 6th (1x E145, 2x CRJ145)
PHL-ROC No Changes
CLT-ROC No Changes

Southwest
TPA-ROC June 8th (1x 73W) June 9th (0x) Nothing in the system past June 8th (Dummy booking for the following week confirms this)
MCO-ROC No changes
BWI-ROC No changes

JetBlue
No changes


*The most frequent type used on the route, other mainline types do come but at random
** This means we may get to see the new UA livery at ROC
*** This frequency is replaced on the weekend by an extra CRJ700
**** Recently Piedmont started flying some of the DCA frequencies and it appears they are using this route to switch the E145 in to DCA
^ This seems to be a big capacity cut


The runway construction should be starting any day now. The 738 on ATL in the morning will be cool to see, but the 2X 717 turns are going to suck, in short. The MD’s aren’t being scheduled up here during the construction and that capacity cut will be felt.

It looks like the Seasonal TPA reduction is happening two months early this year, most likely due to the MAX cuts. BWI will be up to 4X frequency at the end of July as mentioned, and TPA will be back in the fall.


Runway Construction???
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
Roots1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:38 am

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2019

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:14 pm

jworks158 wrote:
ROCDLFAN wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
Some big equipment changes at ROC airport coming up this week, data from flightradar24 route screen

Weekday Schedules Only, unless otherwise noted

Delta
ROC-ATL June 7th (1x MD90, 2xMD88) June 9th (1x 738, 2x B717)^
MSP-ROC June 8th (1x B717), June 9th (1x A319)
DTW-ROC June 7th (1x A319, 1x CRJ700, 2x CRJ900) June 10th (1x B717, 1x CRJ700, 2x CRJ900)
LGA-ROC No Changes
JFK-ROC June 7th (2x CRJ900, 1x CRJ200), June 8th (3x CRJ900)

United
EWR- ROC June 5th (1x 739, 1x E145 on the reverse route 1x E175 instead of E145), June 6th (4x E145)
*ORD-ROC June 5th (2x 739, 1x A319, 1x E175 on the reverse route 1x 145 instead of E175) June 7th (1x A320, 3x 738**)
IAD-ROC June 5th (1x CRJ200, 1x ERJ 145, 1x CRJ700) June 6th (***1x E145 or CRJ200, 2x CRJ700)

American Airlines
ORD-ROC No Changes
BOS - ROC No changes except it seems this week on two days this week only there is a 4th frequency****
DCA-ROC June 5th (1x E175, 1x E145, 2x CRJ200) June 6th (1x E145, 2x CRJ145)
PHL-ROC No Changes
CLT-ROC No Changes

Southwest
TPA-ROC June 8th (1x 73W) June 9th (0x) Nothing in the system past June 8th (Dummy booking for the following week confirms this)
MCO-ROC No changes
BWI-ROC No changes

JetBlue
No changes


*The most frequent type used on the route, other mainline types do come but at random
** This means we may get to see the new UA livery at ROC
*** This frequency is replaced on the weekend by an extra CRJ700
**** Recently Piedmont started flying some of the DCA frequencies and it appears they are using this route to switch the E145 in to DCA
^ This seems to be a big capacity cut


The runway construction should be starting any day now. The 738 on ATL in the morning will be cool to see, but the 2X 717 turns are going to suck, in short. The MD’s aren’t being scheduled up here during the construction and that capacity cut will be felt.

It looks like the Seasonal TPA reduction is happening two months early this year, most likely due to the MAX cuts. BWI will be up to 4X frequency at the end of July as mentioned, and TPA will be back in the fall.


Runway Construction???


There is significant runway construction scheduled for this summer at ROC, including a period of time when 4/22 will be closed completely. This is likely at least partially driving Delta’s decision to pull the MD’s completely from ROC, given only the shorter 10/28 will be available during that time. But I was under the impression it was scheduled for later in the summer (e.g. August)
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos