777PHX

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
ultrapig wrote:
I find the endless talk about TATL flights from St. Louis very interesting. Sure alot of people fly go to London from St. Louis but obviously not a plane full a day. If you were to get a non-stop to LHR, CDG , DUB or FRT. most of the passengers would connect. That's one stop service to most of Europe but we already have one stop service to virtually all of Europe through ORD, EWR, JFK etc. Its just not a big deal. It would be a big deal if we had 300-500 people a day going to one of the big European cities but we don't.

Although I mostly agree with your point... We don't have flights to JFK, which cuts down on some of the one stop options. I went to Athens last year. There weren't any one stop options for when I wanted to go (since we don't have a JFK flight) so I went to AMS instead and took a side trip to Greece in the middle of it. Not saying we have a ton of people going to Greece every day (or month) but it would open up one stop options. My wife's company has a major office in southern France. They have to take two stops to get there, but it would be one if we had a TATL flight. I am sure there is some percent that would have 2 stops cut down to 1 to some secondary European cities. It wouldn't need to be a daily flight so if you did it 4x or 5x a week you could just compress some of those travelers into those days to help fill it.

For some people it wouldn't matter and they would continue to make their stop in the USA. At least coming back I would rather go thru customs in STL than I would New York, so that would be nice to have the TATL park from here instead of somewhere else. Is it the end of the world that we don't have a TATL flight, no, but it would be a good thing for the business community to have it and just for the cities profile in general.

WOW/Icelandair flights in my mind really don't do anything for us because they don't add any one stop cities. WOW was nice to have because it was cheap but logistically didn't add anything for the business community or cutting down airport time. If we are talking those two airlines then I entirely agree with you.

Inbev leases out space in NYC and puts their top North American guys there for a reason. It's too damn hard to get to STL from Brazil or Belgium.

Jshank83

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:20 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Speaking of FI, anyone hear any updates or progress on talks? Seems to have gone silent.

Hoping something is mentioned in the commission meeting next week. In the November one they acted like they wouldn't hear anything until at least the end of December/beginning of January.

777PHX

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:42 pm

STLflyer wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StLouis/comments/acfljt/alaska_airlines_possibly_opening_a_hub_at_lambert/

Thoughts? This is probably 110% pure BS, but maybe someone else has heard something.

Nonsense.

STL is a huge WN stronghold and AS has what, two flights/day out of STL? And they're going to go from two flights/day to a hub?

Plus the source......a pilot in a new hire class - frontline employees are typically the last to know anything about anything. Especially someone who's barely an employee to begin with.

Jshank83

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:48 pm

I think I posted this awhile back but customs is going to be busy in March on Saturdays. It will be interesting to see how they handle it, especially if there are delays before the 3 flights getting in at the same time.

F9 CUN-STL 1522
WN PUJ-STL 1640 -- this one is going to need to be a quick turn.
F9 PUJ-STL 1700
WN CUN-STL 1725
WN MBJ-STL 1725
Volaris HUX-STL 2105

maps4ltd

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:24 am

jplatts wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
Could DL drop STL-CVG and replace it with RDU? Both hubs are near each other in terms of flights, and STL-CVG loads are frequently in the 50s. I would think the first think they would add would be BOS.

If WN adds STL-CVG nonstop service, WN would be able to capture some of the St. Louis area business travelers who currently drive to Greater Cincinnati instead of flying to CVG. WN would likely charge offer lower fares on STL-CVG than DL currently does on STL-CVG nonstop flights since fares are usually higher on DL's STL-CVG nonstops than on WN nonstops to other Midwestern destinations from STL.

WN would also be able to pull in connecting passengers from AUS, DAL, DSM, HOU, MCI, LIT, MSY, OKC, OMA, SAT, TUL, and ICT if it added a morning departure to CVG from STL that departs from STL after 8:30 AM Central Time. WN isn't able to connect passengers onto the first CVG-MDW flight of the day from these places, and WN also isn't able to connect passengers onto the 2nd CVG-MDW flight of the day from some of the places west of the Mississippi that have nonstop service to both STL and MDW on WN.

I was asking about DL's future with CVG; the WN STL-CVG (and SDF and IND) have already been discussed numerous times on this forum.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

STLflyer

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:49 am

Jshank83 wrote:
I think I posted this awhile back but customs is going to be busy in March on Saturdays. It will be interesting to see how they handle it, especially if there are delays before the 3 flights getting in at the same time.

F9 CUN-STL 1522
F9 PUJ-STL 1700
WN CUN-STL 1725
WN MBJ-STL 1725

Volaris HUX-STL 2105

Assuming full loads, that's 641 people in less than an hour. I don't think "busy" is the correct word here. Clusterf... is more accurate.

Jshank83

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:57 am

STLflyer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

F9 CUN-STL 1522
F9 PUJ-STL 1700
WN CUN-STL 1725
WN MBJ-STL 1725

Volaris HUX-STL 2105

Assuming full loads, that's 641 people in less than an hour. I don't think "busy" is the correct word here. Clusterf... is more accurate.

And if the F9 CUN flight runs a little late it’s on an A321...

I guess now we know why they are looking to open a 2nd FIS. Give WN their own and everyone else uses the 2nd one.

I looked at incoming on March 23. WN PUJ is sold out (737-800) CUN is sold out (-700) and MBJ only has one seat left (-700). F9 PUJ has 2 seats left (a320). So yea, like you said, that hour is going to be a madhouse.

STLflyer

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:31 am

I wonder what the fire marshal would have to say about 600+people crammed into a small space. Could everyone safely get out in the event of an emergency?

I've only been through customs a couple times here. Maybe it's bigger than I remember.

pmanni1

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:39 am

Does anyone know what aircraft Volaris will be using?

Jshank83

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:04 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
Does anyone know what aircraft Volaris will be using?

Looks like a A320 based on the seat map. At least in March for HUX.

Cubsrule

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:08 pm

STLflyer wrote:
I wonder what the fire marshal would have to say about 600+people crammed into a small space. Could everyone safely get out in the event of an emergency?

I've only been through customs a couple times here. Maybe it's bigger than I remember.

The thing that you have to remember is that these Caribbean flights process pretty quickly. They are virtually all US citizens with pedestrian travel histories. Folks being over the duty free allowance is about the only issue, and for families that’s really pretty hard to do.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

pmanni1

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:09 pm

SY starting STL-MSP June 9th 4x weekly and STL-PDX June 10th 2x weekly.

maps4ltd

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Good to see SY ramping up. I think they're building a responsible network. They have set up a few focus-city wannabes (PDX, BNA, DFW), and are building out. This kind of steady route planning is much more responsible than the F9 dartboard. I hope to see SY build out more, both at STL and elsewhere. I am looking to go to MSP in August, and I'd like to try them.

TVNWZ

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:21 pm

777PHX wrote:

Inbev leases out space in NYC and puts their top North American guys there for a reason. It's too damn hard to get to STL from Brazil or Belgium.

They wouldn’t come to STL even if it were easy. Little Reason.

Jshank83

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Good to see the PDX add. I thought that was a possibility but I wasn't sure if they would add a route that long this soon. Hopefully it does well. We will see what connections they open up thru MSP. Kind of weird they will have a 2 month break in flights at STL but oh well.

Also, the contour route was officially announced today.

stl07

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:04 am

TVNWZ wrote:
777PHX wrote:

They wouldn’t come to STL even if it were easy. Little Reason.

Huh, the company is here, that's the reason. Business trips aren't a vacation to a desirable city, or else every overseas flight would only leave from MIA and LAX
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:06 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Good to see the PDX add. I thought that was a possibility but I wasn't sure if they would add a route that long this soon. Hopefully it does well. We will see what connections they open up thru MSP. Kind of weird they will have a 2 month break in flights at STL but oh well.

The adds are cool, nothing great, but still something. PDX like you said was nice. I'm more worried about the fact that we may no longer be an SY focus city.

"On Tuesday, Sun Country also unveiled new routes from Nashville, Portland and Dallas-Fort Worth, which have become focal markets for it because travelers there face higher fares on certain leisure destination"

Also on the new routes page, STL is listed under the focus cities as a destination, instead of as its own focus city like it used to
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Jshank83

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:10 am

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

The adds are cool, nothing great, but still something. PDX like you said was nice. I'm more worried about the fact that we may no longer be an SY focus city.

"On Tuesday, Sun Country also unveiled new routes from Nashville, Portland and Dallas-Fort Worth, which have become focal markets for it because travelers there face higher fares on certain leisure destination"

Also on the new routes page, STL is listed under the focus cities as a destination, instead of as its own focus city like it used to

I didn't realize we ever were a focus city, especially with just 2 routes. Interesting.

stl07

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:21 am

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

I didn't realize we ever were a focus city, especially with just 2 routes. Interesting.

I think what the airline was trying to say is a "base" (Meaning for the first time, NOT MSP) that other destinations will be served from.

But now it looks like we are just a spoke. But who knows, we'll see in the next few years what really happens

stl07

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 am

I would personally love for them to add St. Kitts, which they seem to be fond of currently with these last few adds. If you have never been there, it is the definition of the real Carribean, not the tourist factories seen in many other islands. But unlike other authentic islands, they have the infrastructure to support tourism and a higher standard of living.

Right now, its a pain to get there from STL

TVNWZ

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:04 am

stl07 wrote:
Huh, the company is here, that's the reason. Business trips aren't a vacation to a desirable city, or else every overseas flight would only leave from MIA and LAX

Pretty much in name only. Company’s run out of Lueven and São Paulo. Watch Monsanto suffer the same fate. Yes, there is some travel, but no nearly what it used to be. That’s why they are in New York. Little reason to be in StL.

stl07

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:19 am

TVNWZ wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Pretty much in name only. Company’s run out of Lueven and São Paulo. Watch Monsanto suffer the same fate. Yes, there is some travel, but no nearly what it used to be. That’s why they are in New York. Little reason to be in StL.

Fair point

pmanni1

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:55 am

I hope these flights are successful. The 9:10pm departure time to PDX seems less than ideal. But I guess price sensitive flyers will deal with an oddly timed flight. The MSP flight seems to be strictly for o&d and doesn't seem to offer any connections. Can this route support a 3rd airline?

TWA302

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:12 pm

stl07 wrote:
I would personally love for them to add St. Kitts, which they seem to be fond of currently with these last few adds. If you have never been there, it is the definition of the real Carribean, not the tourist factories seen in many other islands. But unlike other authentic islands, they have the infrastructure to support tourism and a higher standard of living.

Right now, its a pain to get there from STL

It would be nice. Love SKB. Wife, daughter and I went there last year March and it wasn’t a bad route at all, GETTING there. STL-CLT-SKB, had a 2 hour layover in CLT. Getting BACK was a different story with a massive layover in MIA.

stlgph

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Speaking of FI, anyone hear any updates or progress on talks? Seems to have gone silent.

I suspect Icelandair may be silent for most of the year. While it was exciting for the past 2, even 3 years, their expansion into a number of markets was more a necessity because of WOW Air. Now, things should probably tone down a bit so they can get a little bit more control of the customer experience at KEF as while air service has grown - the facilities really, have not.

I see the focus this year on working on their 2nd bank they're building at KEF, doing some cost control on outstanding debt, and building the 737MAX fleet.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

777PHX

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:26 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Exactly.

It's not like these guys are working on the production line. They don't need to be in STL to run NA ops.

Jshank83

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
I hope these flights are successful. The 9:10pm departure time to PDX seems less than ideal. But I guess price sensitive flyers will deal with an oddly timed flight. The MSP flight seems to be strictly for o&d and doesn't seem to offer any connections. Can this route support a 3rd airline?

It is only the 2nd airline. Just WN is on it. I think it can do okay in the summer. WN had 95% loads last year.

stl07

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 pm

pmanni1 wrote:

AS service to PDX is "suspended"

stl07

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:05 am

I forgot where but I read that Contour wants to add BNA from FLW too. They also said the community loved Cape, but it was time to move on to jets.

Jshank83

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 am

stl07 wrote:
I forgot where but I read that Contour wants to add BNA from FLW too. They also said the community loved Cape, but it was time to move on to jets.

It was mentioned in the airport commission meeting that they are talking to Contour about adding at risk routes.

Also mentioned, O&D up 4% in November. 9% over Christmas. Looking like the final number for the year will be between 15.6 and 15.7 million.

kipfilet

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:24 am

ultrapig wrote:
I find the endless talk about TATL flights from St. Louis very interesting. Sure alot of people fly go to London from St. Louis but obviously not a plane full a day. If you were to get a non-stop to LHR, CDG , DUB or FRT. most of the passengers would connect. That's one stop service to most of Europe but we already have one stop service to virtually all of Europe through ORD, EWR, JFK etc. Its just not a big deal. It would be a big deal if we had 300-500 people a day going to one of the big European cities but we don't.

Many of my Europe trips end up involving two stops (one to a UA hub in the US, then one to a Euro hub, then one to the final destination). Since TATL service would likely be to a Euro hub, this would make it two stops.
What you are saying is true only if we got TATL service to an airport that is not a major hub, i.e. KEF; to be clear, from KEF you can connect to primary cities but not to secondary -- think Marseille, Lisbon, Naples, Athens -- to which you can obviously connect from main hubs such as LHR, FRA, CDG, AMS...

stl07

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:21 pm

Looks who's back!
https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... 3ee4e.html
700 new jobs
"put St. Louis on the map as an international logistics air hub."

JHwk

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 pm

stl07 wrote:
Looks who's back!
700 new jobs

Doesn’t seem like that building is quite tall enough for a modern logistics hub.

stl07

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:50 pm

If you or a friend is coming home from the airport tonight please take the metro and don't get on the road

save yourself the 3+ hour drive

Jshank83

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 am

stl07 wrote:
Looks who's back!
700 new jobs

They talked about this in the commission meeting but I wasn't 100% sure what they were saying about it. They did say it had a bunch of milestones it had to hit along the way.

Great to hear!

Jshank83

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:50 am

Pic of above

maps4ltd

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:42 am

For the winter storm, Lambert is so far doing pretty well...from Fr24

Anyone flying out or in today or know someone who is?

maps4ltd

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:44 am

...And I take that back. Lots of cancellations tonight and tomorrow, especially WN.

Was doing fine until 3.

Jshank83

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:02 am

maps4ltd wrote:

I flew in tonight. Got in at 4:30. Had my DCA-STL flight on AA canceled (the last 2 from there of the day were canceled.) Barely made it to the one I did. They announced 4 minutes til the door was closing when I walked up and asked if I could get on it. They didn't even have time to print the ticket out, they just said get on and find an empty seat. Thank goodness I did after seeing how much snow was already on the ground. My originally rescheduled flight DCA-ORD-STL had the 2nd leg canceled.

TWA302

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 pm

maps4ltd wrote:

Flew in last night 630ish from PHX. Had to hold for about 15 due to snow plows. Luggage took FOREVER to get. Normal commute home is 25-30. Took 46 but hey we made it.

rivak

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:35 pm

https://twitter.com/KHesselFox2/status/ ... 8948334592

Second alarm fire in the T1 center dome right now. Operations have stopped on A and C concourse.

https://twitter.com/flystl/status/1084456705730273280

STLflyer

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:06 pm

Huh, I saw on the news this morning that the fire was at the Southwest cargo facility, they even showed firetrucks in front of it. Were they wrong, or were there two fires?

stlgph

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:09 pm

dont quote me - could be two separate fires or "fires"

well, it did say second alarm.

I would presume if there is a two alarm in Terminal 1 by itself, Terminal 2 would be shut down as a precaution. I would presume Terminal 2 is still operating because Terminal 1 has no actual raging fire but may be a smoke or electrical condition.

pmanni1

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:16 pm

stlgph wrote:

I would presume if there is a two alarm in Terminal 1 by itself, Terminal 2 would be shut down as a precaution. I would presume Terminal 2 is still operating because Terminal 1 has no actual raging fire but may be a smoke or electrical condition.

2 alarm fire means 2 firehouses responded to it. Not 2 fires.

stlgph

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:20 pm

Yes 2 alarms does mean 2 firehouses respond but does not mean they are at the same exact location.

Jshank83

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:25 pm

stlgph wrote:

T2 operations are normal. It is just T1 being effected.

stlgph

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Yes, there's apparently a problem area going on in the roof.

If there was a raging fire, I could see T2 being shut down.

Jshank83

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Here is an “alarm” update and who was what. All for same fire but it looks like cargo road is how the north county trucks got there.

https://twitter.com/stlfiredept/status/ ... 81089?s=21

stlgph

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm

Ah, the poor beautiful roof.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos