Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:41 am

I know this really hasn’t been talked about much, mainly because of lack of info, but what it everyone’s take on privatization?

I’ve been on the no side for a long time but recently I have started to change my mind. I think the entire process has been super shady. I also think the airport has been on an upswing lately. All that said, the more I have talked to people who work for airlines (or do business with the airport), the more of a cluster it sounds like it is behind the scenes. And I am sure I have only heard a small amount of what goes on. Not to mention the current marketing effort I think needs a lot of work.

I would still put myself in the undecided category, mainly because I want more info, but I am more open minded about it than I was before.

My main objection is the city taking out a bunch of money from it.
 
strangeplanes
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:21 am

Jshank83 wrote:
I know this really hasn’t been talked about much, mainly because of lack of info, but what it everyone’s take on privatization?

I’ve been on the no side for a long time but recently I have started to change my mind. I think the entire process has been super shady. I also think the airport has been on an upswing lately. All that said, the more I have talked to people who work for airlines (or do business with the airport), the more of a cluster it sounds like it is behind the scenes. And I am sure I have only heard a small amount of what goes on. Not to mention the current marketing effort I think needs a lot of work.

I would still put myself in the undecided category, mainly because I want more info, but I am more open minded about it than I was before.

My main objection is the city taking out a bunch of money from it.

Europe seems to do a great job at running private airports (Heathrow). In my opinion, a new terminal at Lambert would be more financially feasible and more likely to happen under private ownership.
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:28 pm

stl07 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
St. Clair County is adding bus service from the Scott metrolink station to BLV. A couple years overdue in my opinion but great to see. Makes it more likely I would fly out of there.


I can't believe this didn't already exist. It will be interesting to see if Allegiant adds anything to BLV and if BLV can get the expansion completed that would add more gates.

As for DL, as a long time DL Platinum Medallion, they have a good product. I switched from AA to DL about ten years ago because of clients in ATL. If DL did something like they did in SEA by offering a status match or easy status to STL based fliers I think they'd pick up some travelers. DL has good one-stop options to Europe and Asia from STL. BOS/LAX/SEA would be nice adds. Move to C, open a SkyClub and I'd be really happy. Dare I also say STL-AUS as they ramp up AUS.

I'm not switching to DL because they don't have essentials like LAX/SAN, SEA, ORD, PHL, DC, or any Florida city for when I go on vacation (that once weekly seasonal flight doesn't count), all of which AA has. If they added BOS, DCA, SEA,FLL, and LAX like they do from other midwest cities, I would consider the switch, but right now, it is impractical. The only real hole AA has is BOS, which I put up with because they have everything else. I would love a skyclub like you said too


I totally get that and it makes sense. I live right next to DCA, which is an AA hub. Since DCA is slot and perimeter controlled DL only has so much they can do. I normally connect, but if I’m going West it’s easy to connect in DTW or ATL. They do have a daily nonstop to LAX on a DeltaOne equipped 75S which is great because it gets the full D1 service. I also don’t mind connecting in SLC, which will be great once complete.

I probably connect through ATL 15+ times a year. DL, with the exception of weather they can’t control, is almost always on time. It’s amazing how smooth ATL runs. I also connect through JFK a few times a year. It’s delay prone, but not terrible. I think DL could add a STL-JFK flight to connect to their afternoon/evening European departures.

I used to love the CRJ7/9 flight DL had between DCA-STL. This went away because of the DL/US Air slot swap at DCA/LGA. So not it’s pretty much just hub flying from DCA.
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:19 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
I know this really hasn’t been talked about much, mainly because of lack of info, but what it everyone’s take on privatization?

I’ve been on the no side for a long time but recently I have started to change my mind. I think the entire process has been super shady. I also think the airport has been on an upswing lately. All that said, the more I have talked to people who work for airlines (or do business with the airport), the more of a cluster it sounds like it is behind the scenes. And I am sure I have only heard a small amount of what goes on. Not to mention the current marketing effort I think needs a lot of work.

I would still put myself in the undecided category, mainly because I want more info, but I am more open-minded about it than I was before.

My main objection is the city taking out a bunch of money from it.


I am shocked at the amount of money already spent on the study to study the feasibility of it. The lack of information that is being shared is scary as well, so I am on the undecided side of the fence as well. Need more info on how this will happen. Some of the people involved in this are super shady as well which makes me VERY skeptical.
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:42 pm

Regarding privatization I think it's a bad idea for STL to pretty much be the first fairly large domestic US airport to go this route. SJU is private and seems to be well run. I go through there a few times a year. But that's it and I don't know if they think its really successful.

I don't know if I agree with the motivation to go private. Airports are a service to the public and public services must make decisions that are in the best interest of the customers (airlines and passengers). Corporations are in the business of making money, that is their job. That doesn't always meld with "doing the right thing."

I don't get the city's motivation to be an outlier when it comes to privatization.
See just how short the list really is:
https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/ne ... id=103_F_S
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:56 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Regarding privatization I think it's a bad idea for STL to pretty much be the first fairly large domestic US airport to go this route. SJU is private and seems to be well run. I go through there a few times a year. But that's it and I don't know if they think its really successful.

I don't know if I agree with the motivation to go private. Airports are a service to the public and public services must make decisions that are in the best interest of the customers (airlines and passengers). Corporations are in the business of making money, that is their job. That doesn't always meld with "doing the right thing."

I don't get the city's motivation to be an outlier when it comes to privatization.
See just how short the list really is:
https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/ne ... id=103_F_S



The city want the cash infusion from it. Pretty simple as that.
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Regarding privatization I think it's a bad idea for STL to pretty much be the first fairly large domestic US airport to go this route. SJU is private and seems to be well run. I go through there a few times a year. But that's it and I don't know if they think its really successful.

I don't know if I agree with the motivation to go private. Airports are a service to the public and public services must make decisions that are in the best interest of the customers (airlines and passengers). Corporations are in the business of making money, that is their job. That doesn't always meld with "doing the right thing."

I don't get the city's motivation to be an outlier when it comes to privatization.
See just how short the list really is:
https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/ne ... id=103_F_S



The city want the cash infusion from it. Pretty simple as that.


I'm sure many cities would like the cash infusion, but how did this crazy idea come to mind? Of all of the ways to raise money someone thought, hey lets do something no other city is doing.

Not to get off on a tangent, but St. Louis folks need to look at how other thriving cities have become successful. I own a business in Virginia and Northern Virginia is one of the fastest growing regions in the country. The Reston/Herndon tech corridor, Arlington County, etc have made it attractive and easier for businesses to thrive and drive the economy forward. It helps that the federal government is spending, but it's not all government. I couldn't even begin to imagine MWAA privatizing DCA/IAD. Heck the MWAA even owns the highway to takes you to Dulles. I say this as someone who grew up in STL and still have family there. Honestly the city needs to be progressive, kinda like Austin.

Also, this article from last week sheds doubt on the plan moving forward:
https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/la ... m#stream/0

Out of curiosity, do the airlines support it?
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Looks like Sun Country has officially moved over to C28 now. The airport also lists Volaris at C28, but it might just be temporary while they replace the A15 jetway.


Got a reply back and Volaris at C28 is permanent. So that means A15 is open for someone *cough* DL *cough*.


So now the airport site lists Volaris back at A15. I give up.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:31 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Regarding privatization I think it's a bad idea for STL to pretty much be the first fairly large domestic US airport to go this route. SJU is private and seems to be well run. I go through there a few times a year. But that's it and I don't know if they think its really successful.

I don't know if I agree with the motivation to go private. Airports are a service to the public and public services must make decisions that are in the best interest of the customers (airlines and passengers). Corporations are in the business of making money, that is their job. That doesn't always meld with "doing the right thing."

I don't get the city's motivation to be an outlier when it comes to privatization.
See just how short the list really is:
https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/ne ... id=103_F_S



The city want the cash infusion from it. Pretty simple as that.


I'm sure many cities would like the cash infusion, but how did this crazy idea come to mind? Of all of the ways to raise money someone thought, hey lets do something no other city is doing.

Out of curiosity, do the airlines support it?


It is STL. We live in crazy here when it comes to politics. Every other day something comes out that I don't think makes sense.

They are currently negotiating with airlines. I would assume they would get to a deal they support.
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:08 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Looks like Sun Country has officially moved over to C28 now. The airport also lists Volaris at C28, but it might just be temporary while they replace the A15 jetway.


Got a reply back and Volaris at C28 is permanent. So that means A15 is open for someone *cough* DL *cough*.


So now the airport site lists Volaris back at A15. I give up.


:spin: :white: Maybe they will move to D next week somewhere :duck:
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Looks like Sun Country has officially moved over to C28 now. The airport also lists Volaris at C28, but it might just be temporary while they replace the A15 jetway.


Got a reply back and Volaris at C28 is permanent. So that means A15 is open for someone *cough* DL *cough*.


So now the airport site lists Volaris back at A15. I give up.


The good news if the airport needed gate A15 for DL it would be easy to move charters to C. It will be interesting to see what develops this year.

The airport’s next meeting agenda lists a memorandum of agreement with Southwest. Is this for more gates?
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... 3-6-19.pdf
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:17 am

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Got a reply back and Volaris at C28 is permanent. So that means A15 is open for someone *cough* DL *cough*.


So now the airport site lists Volaris back at A15. I give up.


The good news if the airport needed gate A15 for DL it would be easy to move charters to C. It will be interesting to see what develops this year.

The airport’s next meeting agenda lists a memorandum of agreement with Southwest. Is this for more gates?
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... 3-6-19.pdf


When I saw that I thought gates or baggage claim. We know both are coming.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:37 pm

January numbers are out.

Passengers up 2.4% over last January.

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... PubRel.pdf
 
pmanni1
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:59 pm

It looks like AA MD80s STL- DFW will have their final flight on Sep 3. On Sep 4 that route becomes 8x daily 738s.
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:10 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
It looks like AA MD80s STL- DFW will have their final flight on Sep 3. On Sep 4 that route becomes 8x daily 738s.


:hissyfit:
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Frontier going double daily from April April 29th til end of bookable schedule on DEN-STL.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 1425
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:27 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
It looks like AA MD80s STL- DFW will have their final flight on Sep 3. On Sep 4 that route becomes 8x daily 738s.

Sad, but good riddance
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"
 
StlHsvSfoSan
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:22 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
It looks like AA MD80s STL- DFW will have their final flight on Sep 3. On Sep 4 that route becomes 8x daily 738s.


I guess I have to plan a trip top Dallas on Sep 3 ! Is this the last AA MD-80 flight to STL or are there still some to ORD ?
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:23 pm

StlHsvSfoSan wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
It looks like AA MD80s STL- DFW will have their final flight on Sep 3. On Sep 4 that route becomes 8x daily 738s.


I guess I have to plan a trip top Dallas on Sep 3 ! Is this the last AA MD-80 flight to STL or are there still some to ORD ?


ORD are already done.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 1425
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:12 pm

StlHsvSfoSan wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
It looks like AA MD80s STL- DFW will have their final flight on Sep 3. On Sep 4 that route becomes 8x daily 738s.


I guess I have to plan a trip top Dallas on Sep 3 ! Is this the last AA MD-80 flight to STL or are there still some to ORD ?

I did multiple recently. They were awful, and so were the crew. The 738s and their fresh crew are a blessing. Although it was fun to look out at the gates and remember how it used to be at both STL and DFW, so it may be worth it just for the nostalgia.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:08 pm

stl07 wrote:
StlHsvSfoSan wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
It looks like AA MD80s STL- DFW will have their final flight on Sep 3. On Sep 4 that route becomes 8x daily 738s.


I guess I have to plan a trip top Dallas on Sep 3 ! Is this the last AA MD-80 flight to STL or are there still some to ORD ?

I did multiple recently. They were awful, and so were the crew. The 738s and their fresh crew are a blessing. Although it was fun to look out at the gates and remember how it used to be at both STL and DFW, so it may be worth it just for the nostalgia.


I love seeing them fly but not at much being on them. I'll miss seeing them around.
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:28 pm

I don’t miss the MD80/88/90. I can’t speak for AA, since I haven’t flown them in 10 years, but DL still flies quite a few. I avoid them as much as possible.
I’d rather be on an A320/21 or 757. I’d actually rather be on a CR7/9.

I do remember the sea of T tails at STL. Mostly 727’s and DC9’s at first.
 
jrkstl
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:05 am

I will miss the MD80/88/90 for two main reasons: they are really quiet near the front, and I’m a big fan of the 2x seating on one side. 3x3 seating is no fun when just the two of us travel together.

Also always enjoyed the seemingly steeper than normal climb at take off. Could just be my imagination, but they always seem to climb faster than 737/A320, etc.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:12 am

jrkstl wrote:

I will miss the MD80/88/90 for two main reasons: they are really quiet near the front, and I’m a big fan of the 2x seating on one side. 3x3 seating is no fun when just the two of us travel together.

Also always enjoyed the seemingly steeper than normal climb at take off. Could just be my imagination, but they always seem to climb faster than 737/A320, etc.


Always been a DC-9/MD-80/717 fan and YES, the 2x3 seating is a treasure compared to 3x3. Well at least we have the A 220 to look forward to on DL, hopefully, in STL.
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:21 am

jrkstl wrote:
I will miss the MD80/88/90 for two main reasons: they are really quiet near the front, and I’m a big fan of the 2x seating on one side. 3x3 seating is no fun when just the two of us travel together.

Also always enjoyed the seemingly steeper than normal climb at take off. Could just be my imagination, but they always seem to climb faster than 737/A320, etc.


LOVED flying up front in the Mad Dogs. So quiet. Really have been an amazing workhorse in the aviation industry. I don't fly AA anymore unless it is the only option to my final destination. Last AA flight on one was DFW-STL about a year ago and it was an EX-TW bird.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:50 am

jrkstl wrote:

LOVED flying up front in the Mad Dogs. So quiet. Really have been an amazing workhorse in the aviation industry. I don't fly AA anymore unless it is the only option to my final destination. Last AA flight on one was DFW-STL about a year ago and it was an EX-TW bird.


I got to fly the MD-80 in F ONCE, TPA-STL. It was so quiet the FA could speak to us in a normal, conversational voice and we could hear every word just fine. The ravioli was great!
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 am

jrkstl wrote:
I will miss the MD80/88/90 for two main reasons: they are really quiet near the front, and I’m a big fan of the 2x seating on one side. 3x3 seating is no fun when just the two of us travel together.

Also always enjoyed the seemingly steeper than normal climb at take off. Could just be my imagination, but they always seem to climb faster than 737/A320, etc.


This is why I prefer 700/900/175 over most mainlines. 2x seating. Something about the 80s/717 I just don't like though. Weren't comfortable for me at least.
 
stlgph
Posts: 10961
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:17 am

I absolutely will miss them and would totally entertain a couple of last nostalgia flights. The look, the sound, and even the *smell* defined the old TWA hub.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:39 pm

WN has Hawaii loaded in the schedules. You can fly from STL to HNL for $183 each way! HOLY CRAP! That is intro for sure, but I just booked a trip for a week. This is awesome. Coupled with my Companion Pass and Marriott points gonna be a great week.
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:28 pm

Too bad the Max8 doesn't have the legs for STL-HNL although that would be a long flight in a single aisle aircraft.

As for the Mad Dog's, since airlines have been planning on retiring them, DL in particular, hasn't really done much to the cabins. The upgraded interiors and IFE in the 737's and A321's is nice.
 
bretonrlong
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:00 am

Is anyone able to view and select a roundtrip ticket on SW from STL - HNL? I've checked several times and it appears you can view the outbound leg, however all i can see on the return side in unavailable.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:23 am

bretonrlong wrote:
Is anyone able to view and select a roundtrip ticket on SW from STL - HNL? I've checked several times and it appears you can view the outbound leg, however all i can see on the return side in unavailable.


Flights leave OAK/SJC too early for there to be connections to come back. Probably will have to wait until SAN gets their Hawaii flights for them to connect here. I booked a stop in OAK back but I have in laws in OAK so it wasn't a huge deal to stay with them for a night or two. If connections back open up then we might change.
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
bretonrlong wrote:
Is anyone able to view and select a roundtrip ticket on SW from STL - HNL? I've checked several times and it appears you can view the outbound leg, however all i can see on the return side in unavailable.


Flights leave OAK/SJC too early for there to be connections to come back. Probably will have to wait until SAN gets their Hawaii flights for them to connect here. I booked a stop in OAK back but I have in laws in OAK so it wasn't a huge deal to stay with them for a night or two. If connections back open up then we might change.


We did the same thing and spending two days in SFO. Had to book to different reservations, which is strange.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:19 pm

‪Airport commission meeting notes. ‬

‪The airlines (driven by Southwest) are doing their own privitzaion study. ‬

‪Cost per enplaned passenger down to $8.87‬


My headphones went dead with 9 minutes left. If anything else comes up I’ll post it.
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
‪Airport commission meeting notes. ‬

‪The airlines (driven by Southwest) are doing their own privitzaion study. ‬

‪Cost per enplaned passenger down to $8.87‬


My headphones went dead with 9 minutes left. If anything else comes up I’ll post it.


Was that the Southwest item on the agenda?
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
‪Airport commission meeting notes. ‬

‪The airlines (driven by Southwest) are doing their own privitzaion study. ‬

‪Cost per enplaned passenger down to $8.87‬


My headphones went dead with 9 minutes left. If anything else comes up I’ll post it.


Was that the Southwest item on the agenda?


Yes. The airport is paying for the study and Southwest (and others who agree to it) is refunding them. The funding is a little more complicated than that, but that is the gist of it.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:36 pm

For the next month STL will have EIGHT international flights on Saturdays. While it doesn't get the pub that a Europe flight does, that is still pretty impressive.

2x STL-YYZ Air Canada
2x STL-CUN Southwest/ Frontier
2x STL-PUJ Southwest/Frontier
1x STL-MBJ Southwest
2x STL-HUX Volaris (Apple Vacations)

Going to be busy is customs with 6 flights coming in.

Arrival times
F9 CUN 1527
WN PUJ 1640
F9 PUJ 1712
WN MBJ 1725
WN CUN 1725
Y4 HUX 2123

They are going to have to turn that WN PUJ flight quick or some of the later flights will be waiting.
 
stlgph
Posts: 10961
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:12 am

How many gates again have access to customs? Two?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
777PHX
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:10 am

TWA302 wrote:
WN has Hawaii loaded in the schedules. You can fly from STL to HNL for $183 each way! HOLY CRAP! That is intro for sure, but I just booked a trip for a week. This is awesome. Coupled with my Companion Pass and Marriott points gonna be a great week.


That's a long damn time in a 737. I'm glad we've got direct HA A330 service here.
 
N383SW
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:46 am

stlgph wrote:
How many gates again have access to customs? Two?


E29,31,33 (31 and 33 are Southwest gates)
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Since the airport put out an RFP regarding ideas for a renovated or new customs facility, what are the likely outcomes?

-New/larger customs facility built in D or T2 to accommodate all airlines
-End of C reopens with mothballed customs facility and flights can use C or T2.

I don't remember the customs hall in C all that well, but I don't think either area (T2 or C) has all that much space.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:48 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Since the airport put out an RFP regarding ideas for a renovated or new customs facility, what are the likely outcomes?

-New/larger customs facility built in D or T2 to accommodate all airlines
-End of C reopens with mothballed customs facility and flights can use C or T2.

I don't remember the customs hall in C all that well, but I don't think either area (T2 or C) has all that much space.


I think there are only 2 real options. Reopen C or make D into one. That’s all I can think of. I would hedge towards C. The RFQ said using existing infustracture or something like that so they don’t want expansion.
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:49 pm

Is there a way to connect any other E gates to Customs?

At the very least, either E31 or E33 should be common use.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:22 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Is there a way to connect any other E gates to Customs?

At the very least, either E31 or E33 should be common use.


I don’t imagine is can be done easily based on the setup. Maybe they could build a walkway underneath from 22/24.

I would assume, maybe incorrectly, there is a clause that those 2 gate can be used by someone else if needed for international arrivals if WN is just using them for domestic at the time.
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:44 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Since the airport put out an RFP regarding ideas for a renovated or new customs facility, what are the likely outcomes?

-New/larger customs facility built in D or T2 to accommodate all airlines
-End of C reopens with mothballed customs facility and flights can use C or T2.

I don't remember the customs hall in C all that well, but I don't think either area (T2 or C) has all that much space.


I think there are only 2 real options. Reopen C or make D into one. That’s all I can think of. I would hedge towards C. The RFQ said using existing infustracture or something like that so they don’t want expansion.


I think you posted a while back, do you know how much bigger the C area is? I just don’t recall it all that well.
If other airlines use C, I could see WN using 2-3 gates in T2 for their operations.
 
strangeplanes
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:54 pm

I heard from a good source that STL has been putting a lot of effort into courting Condor this past year.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Since the airport put out an RFP regarding ideas for a renovated or new customs facility, what are the likely outcomes?

-New/larger customs facility built in D or T2 to accommodate all airlines
-End of C reopens with mothballed customs facility and flights can use C or T2.

I don't remember the customs hall in C all that well, but I don't think either area (T2 or C) has all that much space.


I think there are only 2 real options. Reopen C or make D into one. That’s all I can think of. I would hedge towards C. The RFQ said using existing infustracture or something like that so they don’t want expansion.


I think you posted a while back, do you know how much bigger the C area is? I just don’t recall it all that well.
If other airlines use C, I could see WN using 2-3 gates in T2 for their operations.


I assume you mean the FIS area.
32k sq ft in T2.
C I can't 100% tell. I never have been in the customs area in C. There is a 31K space between C31 and C25. I would GUESS this is the area that was the FIS in the past by looking at the floorplans but seeing it isn't all the way at the end if C, like I was led to believe, I am not 100% sure. It looks like C30/32/34/35/36/38 all had access to this area. So C30 when it opens in theory would have access if they leave the walkway in.
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

I think there are only 2 real options. Reopen C or make D into one. That’s all I can think of. I would hedge towards C. The RFQ said using existing infustracture or something like that so they don’t want expansion.


I think you posted a while back, do you know how much bigger the C area is? I just don’t recall it all that well.
If other airlines use C, I could see WN using 2-3 gates in T2 for their operations.


I assume you mean the FIS area.
32k sq ft in T2.
C I can't 100% tell. I never have been in the customs area in C. There is a 31K space between C31 and C25. I would GUESS this is the area that was the FIS in the past by looking at the floorplans but seeing it isn't all the way at the end if C, like I was led to believe, I am not 100% sure. It looks like C30/32/34/35/36/38 all had access to this area. So C30 when it opens in theory would have access if they leave the walkway in.


Yeah those C gates has glass partitions that allowed the redirect of passengers arriving on international flights. I don’t recall exactly how customs worked down there. It’s been 25 years since I’ve been down there.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Yeah those C gates has glass partitions that allowed the redirect of passengers arriving on international flights. I don’t recall exactly how customs worked down there. It’s been 25 years since I’ve been down there.



Concourse C
The best I could tell you came down the stairs just west of C32 and it fed into that open area. You can then see the FIS processing stations in the floorplan. After you talked to them there it would feed you out into where the baggage claims are. Not sure where you went from there.

Image
Image

Terminal 2

Can't really figure out how this one works. I guess it feeds everyone to the south end, check passports on that end then feed into baggage claim from there?
Image
Image
 
STLflyer
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:18 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Yeah those C gates has glass partitions that allowed the redirect of passengers arriving on international flights. I don’t recall exactly how customs worked down there. It’s been 25 years since I’ve been down there.



Concourse C
The best I could tell you came down the stairs just west of C32 and it fed into that open area. You can then see the FIS processing stations in the floorplan. After you talked to them there it would feed you out into where the baggage claims are. Not sure where you went from there.

Image
Image

Terminal 2

Can't really figure out how this one works. I guess it feeds everyone to the south end, check passports on that end then feed into baggage claim from there?
Image
Image


Yeah, so in T2, everyone's fed to the South end. You get your passport checked, then move to the single bag carousel that's right there. Then once you exit the FIS area, you walk down a hallway that dumps you into the domestic SWA bag claim.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos