TWA302

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm

An WN blows the doors off of PDX after AS drops it. Love it.

TWA302

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Dumb question, but I am sure there is a good answer. Looking at the WQ loads, that has to be rough on the balance sheet to have 48% loads to Los Cabos. I have only flown WN there (via HOU/DEN) but do they get any kickbacks from the tour operators to pay for a certain % of unbooked seats?

dcaproducer

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:30 pm

WN definitely gets the business, but some of those high numbers to CA are connecting. Looking at UA, they're 82% to SFO. WN is close to 90% at SJC and SFO.

I think AS could add SFO, which would make that route interesting and maybe snag some AA customers looking to get to the bay area.

I also think it will be interesting to see what Sun Country's long term strategy is. I don't think there is much of one right now.
Allegiant has a nice thing going at BLV.

Jshank83

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:01 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Dumb question, but I am sure there is a good answer. Looking at the WQ loads, that has to be rough on the balance sheet to have 48% loads to Los Cabos. I have only flown WN there (via HOU/DEN) but do they get any kickbacks from the tour operators to pay for a certain % of unbooked seats?

I’ll try to take a closer look tonight but some of those are thrown off because they threw widebodies on them last year because the charter airline was having issues with their 737s. So they messes up the load %

TWA302

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

I’ll try to take a closer look tonight but some of those are thrown off because they threw widebodies on them last year because the charter airline was having issues with their 737s. So they messes up the load %

No need for extra work! Just curious on how the airlines gets compensated for nearly 50% empty? I don't think WQ used their 767s on the SDJ routes.

pmanni1

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 pm

symphonicpoet wrote:
Eegads, the loads on that DL flight to Cincinnati look terrible. I know it's a short hop and all that, but . . . eek!

Low loads but high prices keep this route going. Tomorrow STL-CVG lowest price is $398. By comparison tomorrow STL-ATL lowest price $286.

Jshank83

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:47 pm

TWA302 wrote:

Funny thing to me is that AS had good loads on it when they dropped it (and right before summer no less). Sun Country probably is making a good move picking it up.

dcaproducer

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:58 am

Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

Funny thing to me is that AS had good loads on it when they dropped it (and right before summer no less). Sun Country probably is making a good move picking it up.

Wasn’t AS short on pilots/aircraft? I wonder if they’d every try it again.
It will be interesting to see what Sun Country does in STL. I think NK would be better than Sun Country in STL.

Jshank83

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:17 am

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

Wasn’t AS short on pilots/aircraft? I wonder if they’d every try it again.
It will be interesting to see what Sun Country does in STL. I think NK would be better than Sun Country in STL.

That is what the rumor was. An AS employee told me they have been hearing SFO is coming for over a year. So maybe that will be their next spot.

My parents took Sun Country a couple weeks ago and really liked it. So I hope they get some traction.

stl07

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:41 am

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

No need for extra work! Just curious on how the airlines gets compensated for nearly 50% empty? I don't think WQ used their 767s on the SDJ routes.

The resorts subsidized the flight from my understanding. But don't quote me on that
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:42 am

And the fares are absurdly high too
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Jshank83

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Numbers are out for Feb. Look pretty good to me, even with all the weather.

Up 4.9% on the month
Up 3.6% on the year

Cargo up 2.5%

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... 9_AATS.pdf

maps4ltd

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Tons of weather recently. I’ve seen 6/24 way more than usual
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

dcaproducer

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:58 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Numbers are out for Feb. Look pretty good to me, even with all the weather.

Up 4.9% on the month
Up 3.6% on the year

Cargo up 2.5%

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... 9_AATS.pdf

Nice increase during what is traditionally the slowest month of the year. Last year Feb saw only a 3.9% increase over 2017.
STL should surpass 16 Million in 2019. If BLV grows even half of what they did last year the two airports will be closer to 17 million. I’d say that is a pretty good recovery from the days of the TW hub. Not quite where things used to be, but heading in the right direction. That’s better than how PIT, MEM, CVG and CLE have fared.

TWA302

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:09 pm

The WN MAX parked at Lambert will be heading to VCV this morning along with all the others parked around the country.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA8703/history/20190323/1310Z/KSTL/KVCV

TWA302

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Looks like the Cards will fly this season under the DL8890 flight number. They arrived at MKE early this morning for opening day on Thursday,

STLflyer

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:37 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Looks like the Cards will fly this season under the DL8890 flight number. They arrived at MKE early this morning for opening day on Thursday,

They've been on DL8890 for a few years now

TWA302

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:03 pm

STLflyer wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

They've been on DL8890 for a few years now

Yes, just bringing it back up since opening day is upon us. :thumbsup:

Jshank83

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:01 am

A month later, Elwell initiated another exchange. He emailed JetBlue executives, asking them for help with “an airport privatization issue.” He later asked if the airline had “any luck finding a JetBlue exec we can throw to the lions, er, I mean, introduce to a nice reporter to say nice things about airport privatization?” JetBlue, the airline lobbyist and the FAA then coordinated on talking points for a story about privatizing management of St. Louis Lambert International Airport.

Just weird to think about JetBlue involved in something at STL since they don't fly there. But maybe they had privatization experience.

https://www.propublica.org/article/dan- ... -on-policy

maps4ltd

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:13 am

Jshank83 wrote:
A month later, Elwell initiated another exchange. He emailed JetBlue executives, asking them for help with “an airport privatization issue.” He later asked if the airline had “any luck finding a JetBlue exec we can throw to the lions, er, I mean, introduce to a nice reporter to say nice things about airport privatization?” JetBlue, the airline lobbyist and the FAA then coordinated on talking points for a story about privatizing management of St. Louis Lambert International Airport.

Just weird to think about JetBlue involved in something at STL since they don't fly there. But maybe they had privatization experience.

Why would they contact an airline person for airport privatization--especially one of an airline that doesn't yet fly to STL?
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

Jshank83

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:44 am

maps4ltd wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Why would they contact an airline person for airport privatization--especially one of an airline that doesn't yet fly to STL?

I guess they wanted someone to put in a good word for it and Jetblue had experience with the San Juan privatization. Just weird how they went about it and that they (FAA) weren't exactly impartial. But then again the entire privatization saga has been pretty shady so far.

stl07

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:55 am

maps4ltd wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

The other large privatized airport, San Juan, is a JetBlue hub (maybe focus city?)

Jshank83

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:21 pm

Looking at the April Schedule
F9 starts double daily to DEN on April 29th.
F9 JAX/PBI end their seasons April 27/28
WN PUJ/PBI end their seasons April 5
SY TPA/RSW end their seasons April 7
WN MBJ takes a break til summer
DL MCO takes a break til summer
G4 AZA ends its season April 22

pmanni1

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:56 am

I don't understand SY's plan in STL. They could be the go to airline for Florida year round yet they think it's seasonal. How do they build any momentum or recognition when they stop flying all together until June when they start MSP & PDX?

RJNUT

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:24 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
I don't understand SY's plan in STL. They could be the go to airline for Florida year round yet they think it's seasonal. How do they build any momentum or recognition when they stop flying all together until June when they start MSP & PDX?

Best not to try to understand SY at this point as they seem to be in complete flux!

Jshank83

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:34 pm

I do think it is weird they won’t have any flights for 2 months. I don’t think there is any way they would be the go to Florida airline (WN has that pretty much covered and to a lesser extent G4) but I think they could have flown to Florida until they started MSP/PDX

dcaproducer

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:49 am

I don’t think SY has any long term plans. They definitely won’t build brand loyalty with this type of service. This is why I think NK would be a better option for STL.

On a side note, good think STL lost WOW before they folded. What a mess.

stlgph

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:50 am

Sun Country is playing it smart. It's their first year around town, they came in and did the winter and spring break peak season, take a bench for a slower two month spring season when everyone does nothing but get into baseball, come back in the summer when more people are ready to bolt out of town.

I wouldn't be surprised if a bulk of their business comes from the smaller towns outside the metro....such as Cuba, Mexico, Jerseyville, Ste Genevieve etc etc
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

TWA302

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:36 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
I don’t think SY has any long term plans. They definitely won’t build brand loyalty with this type of service. This is why I think NK would be a better option for STL.

Why would an airline have anything BUT long term plans? We shall see how it shapes out with them over the course of the next year.

dcaproducer

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:38 pm

TWA302 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

Why would an airline have anything BUT long term plans? We shall see how it shapes out with them over the course of the next year.

Oh I totally agree. I’m just not sure why SY would enter the market. If you’re not going to provide service year round and almost daily what’s the point?

jplatts

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:56 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Oh I totally agree. I’m just not sure why SY would enter the market. If you’re not going to provide service year round and almost daily what’s the point?

There are some F9 domestic destinations that do not have year-round service on F9, but the F9 destinations that do not have year-round service on F9 are in smaller markets.

Jshank83

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:25 am

jplatts wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

There are some F9 domestic destinations that do not have year-round service on F9, but the F9 destinations that do not have year-round service on F9 are in smaller markets.

I think his point was the airline isn't even operating year round out of STL. Frontier has 4 year round routes so they are operating all the time. SY isn't operating in May and a chunk of April at all

dcaproducer

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:22 am

Jshank83 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

I think his point was the airline isn't even operating year round out of STL. Frontier has 4 year round routes so they are operating all the time. SY isn't operating in May and a chunk of April at all

Yeah. My point is that STL isn’t a small market. If they can’t figure out a year round market maybe they shouldn’t be in STL. F9 has found their groove in the market.
I think NK would as well.

With that said I think the two things I’d like to see this year is WN expanding into more of D and D opens back to T1 and a solid airline to Europe.

rainaviation2

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm

SY has many many many routes and destinations that are served at VERY low frequency and odd times. Take STS-LAS for example, there is not even a true "round-trip" flight on that route. The planes do MSP-STS-LAS on Thursday and MSP-LAS-STS on Sunday!

This is the SY business model, take a slow start into a market, then expand wherever they feel that there is ANY amount of passengers they can pick up for a low cost.

I do think they could have served STL-RSW/TPA for a bit longer, but we shall see next year what is really going on in STL with SY.

Jshank83

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:39 pm

rainaviation2 wrote:
SY has many many many routes and destinations that are served at VERY low frequency and odd times. Take STS-LAS for example, there is not even a true "round-trip" flight on that route. The planes do MSP-STS-LAS on Thursday and MSP-LAS-STS on Sunday!

This is the SY business model, take a slow start into a market, then expand wherever they feel that there is ANY amount of passengers they can pick up for a low cost.

I do think they could have served STL-RSW/TPA for a bit longer, but we shall see next year what is really going on in STL with SY.

I think PDX is a good pick up for them over summer. I wasn't sure they would pick up a route that long but with AS dropping it (even with good loads) and with WN getting the loads they do, I think that was an easy one to pick up. They did make a misstep not opening up connections thru MSP/PDX until about a week ago. I emailed them asking why they weren't offering them even though other airports had them and then they finally showed up a day later. Not to say my email was the reason but I think they should have had those open from the start. 4x a week to MSP without allowing any onward connections could have been tough.

TWA302

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:10 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
I think PDX is a good pick up for them over summer. I wasn't sure they would pick up a route that long but with AS dropping it (even with good loads) and with WN getting the loads they do, I think that was an easy one to pick up. They did make a misstep not opening up connections thru MSP/PDX until about a week ago. I emailed them asking why they weren't offering them even though other airports had them and then they finally showed up a day later. Not to say my email was the reason but I think they should have had those open from the start. 4x a week to MSP without allowing any onward connections could have been tough.

Well, I will thank you! I was looking at a jaunt up to Alaska for some fishing this summer. AS was $924 without any checked bags. SY was $699 WITH premium seating and checked bag. That is a HUGE difference. The times are not the best, but for $255/person, and a family of 4, I will save $1,020+ any day. Change premium seats to regular and we are approaching $1,300 difference.

Jshank83

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:28 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Well, I will thank you! I was looking at a jaunt up to Alaska for some fishing this summer. AS was $924 without any checked bags. SY was $699 WITH premium seating and checked bag. That is a HUGE difference. The times are not the best, but for $255/person, and a family of 4, I will save $1,020+ any day. Change premium seats to regular and we are approaching $1,300 difference.

My parents flew the premium seats to TPA a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I was going to go but work got in the way. :mad: Pretty cheap to upgrade (I think it was $25, normal seat selection was 9 or 10 anyway). I would upgrade every time for what you get.Let us know how you like it.

rainaviation2

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:52 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Yes, PDX was a very good addition. I am sure routings like STL-MSP-ANC and STL-MSP-SEA will be able to get some connecting passengers. Now only if they had timed it right for STL-PDX-HNL........

rainaviation2

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

My parents flew the premium seats to TPA a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I was going to go but work got in the way. :mad: Pretty cheap to upgrade (I think it was $25, normal seat selection was 9 or 10 anyway). I would upgrade every time for what you get.Let us know how you like it.

I just flew HRL-MSP in their premium seats. They offer a nice premium product (for an ULCC/LCC anyway). The aircraft I was on (N824SY) was one of a few aircraft with Air-fi reinstalled after they have had to take it off of their planes to be fixed. The Air-fi worked for everyone on board (except the man next to me with an iPhone 4 but that is his own fault) and had many movies and shows, I was very impressed! In the "Best" seats, you get 120V power and USB, which both worked. You also get a free alcoholic beverage and a free stroopwafel (which they do not advertise). Legroom was good (I am 5' 10") and the recline was farther than I expected.

I would say it was worth the upgrade for $45 on a 3 hour flight.

TWA302

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:14 am

rainaviation2 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Yes, PDX was a very good addition. I am sure routings like STL-MSP-ANC and STL-MSP-SEA will be able to get some connecting passengers. Now only if they had timed it right for STL-PDX-HNL........

Many connections have crud times. the ANC-MSP flight to connect to STL you have to leave at 0135. THAT is rough but to save the ~$1,300 over AA/AS we can manage. Now if WN would go to ANC......... :cloudnine: And on that note, is there a rationale why they haven't picked it up? I am sure it has been discussed 10000000000000000000 times on this forum, but it is late and I am lazy after a long day of travels and Blues loss.

Jshank83

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:51 pm

The FY2018 report is out for anyone who is interested.

There are some god tidbits on the airport

A few are:

Southwest added 85 jobs
CPE is down to $8.87 (20% drop over 2017)
Fuel farm looks to be moving along.

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... Report.pdf

TWA302

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
The FY2018 report is out for anyone who is interested.

There are some god tidbits on the airport

A few are:

Southwest added 85 jobs
CPE is down to $8.87 (20% drop over 2017)
Fuel farm looks to be moving along.

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... Report.pdf

Wow, kudos to Rhonda and her team. That is an impressive report card.

dcaproducer

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:21 pm

Speaking of the report card, any word on how the Wingtips lounge is doing? I’m sure that’s very welcome for T2 passengers.

That CPE number is great and should impress airlines looking at new service/routes.

pmanni1

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:50 pm

AA PHX-STL MAY 2.0>1.2[2]
AA doesn't even seem to want to compete with WN's 4x daily on this route in May.

jplatts

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:08 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
AA doesn't even seem to want to compete with WN's 4x daily on this route in May.

There are some destinations such as BUF, CLE, LIT, SDF, BNA, MSY, TUL, and ICT that have nonstop service to PHX on WN but not on AA. AA can also already connect passengers to most of its Western destinations from STL through DFW or LAX.

Jshank83

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:49 pm

pmanni1 wrote:

Might also be they are moving a plane to fill in for a MAX somewhere since it goes back to 2x in June (and just changed their schedule for May to take out the MAX flights). Also odd to have this late of a shift in schedule, which makes me think it is a MAX issue.

Jshank83

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:03 pm

May flight frequency spreadsheet

I only did WN for May last year so I can't compare the other airlines to last year.
WN is up +30 flights over last year or 4%
Only difference on WN from April is an extra Mon-Fri flight to MCO.

Other notes

AA added frequencies back to DCA/LGA/PHL as summer starts to get closer.
DCA has no 50 seaters. First time I have seen this since I have been keeping track. All E175 and CRJ700s
LGA is going to have 4 E140s though....
DFW will have 6 of its 8 flights on MD80s.. get em while you can.
PHX previously mentioned goes down to 1x

DL
LGA almost all switched from CRJ900s to E175s now

AC
Added a 3rd flight to Saturday so it is 3x daily now. (4 daily kicks in in June)

F9
DEN goes to 2x daily

UA
Not in my spreadsheet because it isn't consistent but they are starting to mix in E175s on EWR. Up to 2 a day, sometime none.

G4
VPS goes to 9x a week. First route at BLV to have more than one flight daily on it ever.

Full Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Midwestindy

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

stl07

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Sy is having some fun

Jshank83

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:28 pm

They have been picking up others drop. F9 drops TPA/RSW and they pick it up. AS drops PDX they pick it up. G4 drops LAS they pick it up.

I'll be curious to see if TPA/RSW comes back or not.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos