dcaproducer

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Anyone have any questions for STLAVDay tomorrow. I’ll ask if I get a chance.

-What’s the status of the end of C?
-What’s the status of the dual customs cargo facility?
-Any thoughts on a combined rental car facility? Fewer buses would help over at T2.
-How many gates would WN have to take for them to open D all the way to T1?

They aren’t going to reveal anything in terms of new service/airlines, so asking about things that are fairly general should reveal a lot.

By end of C do you mean C29/30 or the actual end?

Actual end. Have they even developed a plan, that if needed, they can get those gates online quickly for a new carrier?
Ie, let’s say NK came in and wanted 2 gates with room to grow.

Jshank83

Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:41 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

-What’s the status of the end of C?
-What’s the status of the dual customs cargo facility?
-Any thoughts on a combined rental car facility? Fewer buses would help over at T2.
-How many gates would WN have to take for them to open D all the way to T1?

They aren’t going to reveal anything in terms of new service/airlines, so asking about things that are fairly general should reveal a lot.

By end of C do you mean C29/30 or the actual end?

Actual end. Have they even developed a plan, that if needed, they can get those gates online quickly for a new carrier?
Ie, let’s say NK came in and wanted 2 gates with room to grow.

A hard plan doubtful. That said, the reason remodeled 29/30 is to have room for a new carrier so they would have those 2 ready for someone now then I wouldn’t think it would take much to then plan a continuation of the remodel. But they move slow on things. These 2 gates took over a year of planning/construction. Which seems like a long time.

Only other caveat (and one I will ask about) if they are thinking about reopening the FIS down there then that would be a hard plan.

TVNWZ

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:04 pm

At what point would they consider BLV a threat?

dcaproducer

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Yeah, I thought they had an RFP out related to the FIS facilities at the airport. Even with minor expansion by WN and F9 they could use more gates/space to process international arrivals.

Jshank83

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:35 pm

The WN flight to SLC has been pushed back to October start date due to the MAX schedule update.

Jshank83

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:12 pm

Notes from the event today

Top 3 domestic destinations wanted: IND, SDF, ABQ

Most likely airline to add BOS is SY.

JetBlue almost came 4 years ago.

Intl wise an airline had planned to start service this year but couldn't because of equipment issues. I was told more details on it and I wasn't told it was off the record but I don't really know if it is something they want out in public so I am leaving it at that. You can speculate from there. I do not know if they for sure will start next year if those issues are resolved.

They are looking to start reopening D/E to C next year if they can find funding for it. They know this is a top priority for travelers. 15 million to do it. They think Southwest will want another bank of gates but didn't go into specifics on timeline. But this makes sense with the 3 gates floating around that they are adding.

They are looking to add a plane spotting location outside of the airport somewhere. Early stages.

If they open up another FIS they will close the one in T2. US Customs doesn't want to run 2 separate ones.

dcaproducer

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Intl wise an airline had planned to start service this year but couldn't because of equipment issues. I was told more details on it and I wasn't told it was off the record but I don't really know if it is something they want out in public so I am leaving it at that. You can speculate from there. I do not know if they for sure will start next year if those issues are resolved.

They are looking to start reopening D/E to C next year if they can find funding for it. They know this is a top priority for travelers. 15 million to do it. They think Southwest will want another bank of gates but didn't go into specifics on timeline. But this makes sense with the 3 gates floating around that they are adding.

They are looking to add a plane spotting location outside of the airport somewhere. Early stages.

If they open up another FIS they will close the one in T2. US Customs doesn't want to run 2 separate ones.

Did the airport folk seem happy to have you guys there? They were posting all over Instagram.

Interesting about B6. Did they reveal what happened?
The feedback on D reopening to connect T1 and T2 is interesting. I think WN will get back to adding service after the MAX issues are sorted out.

Where would they put another FIS? I can’t recall how big the one in C is and that location wouldn’t work well for WN. They’d almost need an entirely new FIS.

Thanks for the report.

Jshank83

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Yeah, they were all in a really good mood and friendly. They took a ton of pics.

The B6 convo and the intl convo were just me talking to Rhonda not to the whole group. I think someone came up to her in the middle of the B6 convo so she didn't end up saying why they didn't come or I just missed it.

Yea, it was the first time I had heard anyone at the airport actually talk about wanting to open D up. Before they always kind of deflected.

She was talking to someone else about FIS. They brought up B, she said no to that. Sounds like back at the end of C again. But I am not 100% sure on that.

Midwestindy

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Any indication on who might add IND, or is it the previously rumored airline?
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Jshank83

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:59 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Any indication on who might add IND, or is it the previously rumored airline?

She didn’t get that detailed and I didn’t follow up on it. Just said they are working with different airlines on them.

I did find out Contour actually rents a gate though. I was surprised it wasn’t per turn (like SY, although it was said they may end up renting theirs also) So they have plenty of room to expand.

dcaproducer

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:32 pm

If you think about it the airport is in a good place space-wise. If SY expands and another airline comes in, C has plenty of gate space. WN has plenty of space to move down D. If the connection to T1 reopens, then FIS can be at the end of C and WN passengers can make it over to T2 for connections.

I find it odd DL doesn’t want to expand at STL.

Jshank83

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:01 am

dcaproducer wrote:
If you think about it the airport is in a good place space-wise. If SY expands and another airline comes in, C has plenty of gate space. WN has plenty of space to move down D. If the connection to T1 reopens, then FIS can be at the end of C and WN passengers can make it over to T2 for connections.

I find it odd DL doesn’t want to expand at STL.

I was really surprised it sounds like DL isn’t even looking at Boston.

Jshank83

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:52 am

Jshank83 wrote:

One more thing.

Average cost per enplaned passenger for a medium hub airport is $9.07.

STL is at $8.87

It’s been a long time since we have even been close to average and now we are below average which is nice to see. Should help service.

The airport also mentioned they are focusing on upping cargo operations. They showed a chart that showed they make more off cargo per flight than passenger service.

T18

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:52 am

Jshank83 wrote:

I feel like they could find a nice spot off Banshee between it and Lindbergh. I tend to find my self plane spotting every-time I drive that stretch anyway,
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

jplatts

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:39 am

Jshank83 wrote:

While IND is closer to STL than any of the destinations that WN currently serves nonstop from STL, there are some shorter WN nonstop routes within the contiguous U.S. that have significant O&D traffic such as AUS-DAL, AUS-HOU, BWI-ORF, BUR-LAS, MDW-DTW, FLL-MCO, FLL-TPA, LAS-ONT, LAS-SNA, OAK-RNO, and RNO-SJC. The PDEW on IND-STL was only 7 passengers per day in Q4 2018. I am unsure if WN re-adding IND-STL nonstop service will happen anytime soon with very few passengers currently connecting to STL from IND.

I agree that WN bringing back STL-ABQ and STL-SDF nonstop service is a possibility since WN was operating both of these nonstop routes in the earlier part of this decade.

Other top destinations traveled to from STL that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from STL include CLT, CVG, JAX, ORF, ONT, PVD, RIC, SNA, and IAD.

Jshank83

Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Apparently I missed the March release.

Anyway...

Newer route numbers:
Frontier to JAX 86%
Frontier to West Palm 84%

Sun Country to Fort Myers 83.5%
Sun Country to Tampa 89%

Southwest to Hartford 89%

Sun Country seems to keep picking up traction. Good to see.

International for December.
Air Canada 62%
Frontier Cancun 72%
Southwest Cancun 75%
WOW 60%

Jshank83

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
The WN flight to SLC has been pushed back to October start date due to the MAX schedule update.

August 31 not October. I can't read a schedule apparently.

Jshank83

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:36 pm

WN FLL-STL AUG 1.9>3[1.9] (mon-fri go to 3x from 2x)
WN SAN-STL AUG 2>1.6[2] (mon-sat goes from 2x to 1x)
WN SLC-STL AUG 0.2>0.0[0] lose sat/sun flight

3 flights a week down. Not all that bad.

dcaproducer

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:57 pm

I agree ABQ seems like a logical add for WN. I know people keep talking about IND, but I just don't think that route really makes that much sense.
RIC and CLT also make sense for WN. RIC has been booming as of late. WN already flies to BWI and DCA from STL, so I'm not sure IAD makes sense for them.

Any word on Alaska adding additional destinations?

Jshank83

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:28 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
I agree ABQ seems like a logical add for WN. I know people keep talking about IND, but I just don't think that route really makes that much sense.
RIC and CLT also make sense for WN. RIC has been booming as of late. WN already flies to BWI and DCA from STL, so I'm not sure IAD makes sense for them.

Any word on Alaska adding additional destinations?

Only thing on Alaska that was mentioned was PDX was cut because of equipment issues. I guess they didn’t like running it on a E175 and didn’t think they could fill a 737? Or they needed the E175 elsewhere. Doable for a 175 but it’s a long route.

STLflyer

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:28 pm

IIRC, the FIS at the end of C would require local pax to STL to still reclear TSA to re-enter the C concourse, and then exit to landside with domestic pax. Then presumably they’d have to re-check bags in FIS, only to reclaim them at the T1 belts. Unless they could build some long tunnel or walkway entirely underneath C to dump passengers landside.

And unless C and D/E get reconnected, connecting pax on SW will have to go through TSA to get into C, exit to landside in T1, shuttle over to T2 and reclear security again.

dcaproducer

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:41 pm

STLflyer wrote:
IIRC, the FIS at the end of C would require local pax to STL to still reclear TSA to re-enter the C concourse, and then exit to landside with domestic pax. Then presumably they’d have to re-check bags in FIS, only to reclaim them at the T1 belts. Unless they could build some long tunnel or walkway entirely underneath C to dump passengers landside.

And unless C and D/E get reconnected, connecting pax on SW will have to go through TSA to get into C, exit to landside in T1, shuttle over to T2 and reclear security again.

It would take some ramp space, but building a new international arrivals facility with a few gates at the confluence of C/D would be a good option. It would make a short walk to arrivals at T1. For passengers connecting, they could go back through the C checkpoint and if D is reopened it would serve WN and other carriers.

Midwestindy

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:59 pm

Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Jshank83

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:43 am

Midwestindy wrote:
https://airlinegeeks.com/2019/06/15/st-louis-welcomes-avgeeks-to-inaugrual-stlavday/

STL is big time!

Thanks for posting, this is a good overview of the day.
dcaproducer wrote:
STLflyer wrote:

It would take some ramp space, but building a new international arrivals facility with a few gates at the confluence of C/D would be a good option. It would make a short walk to arrivals at T1. For passengers connecting, they could go back through the C checkpoint and if D is reopened it would serve WN and other carriers.

This would be my preferred setup, but I am sure it wouldn't be cheap. You could easily move cape and air choice one somewhere else.

dcaproducer

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
https://airlinegeeks.com/2019/06/15/st-louis-welcomes-avgeeks-to-inaugrual-stlavday/

STL is big time!

Thanks for posting, this is a good overview of the day.
dcaproducer wrote:
STLflyer wrote:

This would be my preferred setup, but I am sure it wouldn't be cheap. You could easily move cape and air choice one somewhere else.

It would be an investment, but the airport could build a well thought out facility that also looks new/modern. It wouldn't have to be massive, but enough to handle a wide body or two, and a couple of narrow body aircraft simultaneously.

Jshank83

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Viva Aerobus is the airline that will be running to charter routes to Huatulco, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta in 2020. Volaris is currently running them.

stl07

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:24 pm

Shoot. They suck. They are the via of Mexico
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

mwmav8r01

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:26 am

stl07 wrote:
Shoot. They suck. They are the via of Mexico

Cheap flights= cheat service. Hopefully abother airline will come in and run some scheduled service. I think MBJ PUJ could stick with some feed.

Jshank83

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:43 am

Frontier has extended their schedule into early March.

Denver moves to 4x a week. Don't really understand that one.
Orlando stays daily
Vegas stays daily
Cancun stays daily
Punta Cana goes up to 4x a week (Ran 3x this year)
No West Palm Beach
No Jacksonville

Not sure on adds, Frontier isn't the easiest to find new ones on.

pmanni1

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:24 am

Jshank83 wrote:

Orlando stays daily
Vegas stays daily
Cancun stays daily
No West Palm Beach
No Jacksonville

It's too bad F9's growth has been stagnant in STL for years now never really getting above 5-6 flights per day. I had big hopes for them to grow more. I wonder if the PUJ increase will stick being that the Dominican Republic is getting nonstop bad press lately with a new tourist death practically everyday.

Jshank83

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:30 pm

^i agree on PUJ. That extra flight surprised me. Frontier just runs such a weird operation to me. Loads on JAX/PBI weren’t bad but like they do every year they just cut things. No time to let a route develop for a couple seasons and have people realize it even exists.

BN727227Ultra

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:33 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Orlando stays daily
Vegas stays daily
Cancun stays daily
No West Palm Beach
No Jacksonville

Delta: We're ready when you are.
Frontier: We'll tell you when you're ready.

symphonicpoet

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:15 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
TangoAlphaWhisk wrote:
Came across a photo of the old Ambassador Lounge above C28 and C27
https://web.archive.org/web/20010611052 ... y1stll.jpg

Great find. That looks like it's an employee event. Was it before the lounge opened? I can't imagine a lounge with banquet tables/chairs. I'm also surprised how low the ceiling is.

I have a feeling the picture makes the ceiling look at least a little lower than it actually is. The photographer appears to have been standing on a chair or maybe even a table. As to the date, it looks like it was September of 2000. I couldn't make out the text on the banner in the background, but 727 is clear enough. And the appearance of the people in the photograph felt very 90s to me, so I figured it had to be from the retirement of the 727. A tiny bit of searching found a reference in a book called Airlines of the Jet Age: A History, By R.E.G. Davies. Apparently TWA held a "pig party" to celebrate the last flight on September 30, 2000. That's got to be the event.
TW AA MU JL KE DL UA LOF GJS SKW WN
STL JFK FRA GVA CDG IAD ORD PVG SGN NRT ICN ATL SFO HKG MDW LGA BNA
L1011 MD82 83 88 B737 738 741 744 762 772 773 777 A320 E175 C700

STLflyer

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:57 pm

symphonicpoet wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
TangoAlphaWhisk wrote:
Came across a photo of the old Ambassador Lounge above C28 and C27
https://web.archive.org/web/20010611052 ... y1stll.jpg

Great find. That looks like it's an employee event. Was it before the lounge opened? I can't imagine a lounge with banquet tables/chairs. I'm also surprised how low the ceiling is.

I have a feeling the picture makes the ceiling look at least a little lower than it actually is. The photographer appears to have been standing on a chair or maybe even a table. As to the date, it looks like it was September of 2000. I couldn't make out the text on the banner in the background, but 727 is clear enough. And the appearance of the people in the photograph felt very 90s to me, so I figured it had to be from the retirement of the 727. A tiny bit of searching found a reference in a book called Airlines of the Jet Age: A History, By R.E.G. Davies. Apparently TWA held a "pig party" to celebrate the last flight on September 30, 2000. That's got to be the event.

Part of the file name in the URL is twb727lastflightstl so yeah, that’s definitely the 727 retirement party.

dcaproducer

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:34 am

I remember those 727’s well. Hard to believe it was still flying in 2000.

Unrelated, during the event last weekend did they say anything about the dual customs cargo facility? Aren’t those guys supposed to be building a cargo complex at the airport? It seems like that hasn’t gone anywhere.

Jshank83

Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:36 am

dcaproducer wrote:

Unrelated, during the event last weekend did they say anything about the dual customs cargo facility? Aren’t those guys supposed to be building a cargo complex at the airport? It seems like that hasn’t gone anywhere.

Nothing specific. The airport director did say airport is putting a focus on growing cargo now.

It (bi national) came up in the May airport commission meeting. I think it was said they had been to Mexico recently to discuss the dual customs part with them. Government leaders changed since the last time they were down there so they kind of had to start over.

Page 2 and 3.
Still moving along.
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... Y-2019.pdf

TangoAlphaWhisk

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 am

Here's the website I found the Ambassador club picture on. https://web.archive.org/web/20010331201 ... ghtstl.htm

dcaproducer

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:09 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

Nothing specific. The airport director did say airport is putting a focus on growing cargo now.

It (bi national) came up in the May airport commission meeting. I think it was said they had been to Mexico recently to discuss the dual customs part with them. Government leaders changed since the last time they were down there so they kind of had to start over.

Page 2 and 3.
Still moving along.
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... Y-2019.pdf

I think if they can build up a decent sized cargo facility that would be great. Would also bring in more larger aircraft.

Jshank83

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

The airport also mentioned they are focusing on upping cargo operations. They showed a chart that showed they make more off cargo per flight than passenger service.

Just to clarify here because I got called out on it. The landing fees per type of plane is basically the same cargo vs passenger.

I said they make more on cargo per flight just because they usually are larger planes.

Also, F9 PBI/JAX are official cut.

TWA302

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:15 pm

49 year anniversary of the Cooper copycat at Lambert - https://www.stltoday.com/news/archives/june-you-re-not-going-to-believe-this-a-bizarre/article_1aac5de6-6eb4-5245-a126-7adf324d5eb2.html#1. I was only one month old but what a story.

I remember watching this clip on the news which gives a little bit more on the attempted breakout and hijacking of the helicopter after McNally was in prison. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsBv5SIICIY.

LambertMan

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:04 pm

TangoAlphaWhisk wrote:
Here's the website I found the Ambassador club picture on. https://web.archive.org/web/20010331201 ... ghtstl.htm

Wow. Those pictures are wild. I didn't remember the space looking like that - and as other have suggested its more than a little tacky. I guess it fits into the rest of the motif for the high-end C gates, then.....

dcaproducer

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:28 pm

TWA302 wrote:
49 year anniversary of the Cooper copycat at Lambert - https://www.stltoday.com/news/archives/june-you-re-not-going-to-believe-this-a-bizarre/article_1aac5de6-6eb4-5245-a126-7adf324d5eb2.html#1. I was only one month old but what a story.

I remember watching this clip on the news which gives a little bit more on the attempted breakout and hijacking of the helicopter after McNally was in prison. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsBv5SIICIY.

I remember that crazy story with the chopper hijacking. I worked with Alan Barklage briefly when I was at KSDK about a year before he died in an unrelated helicopter crash.

atrude777

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:55 pm

I did not want to start an entire topic as this is STL related...

Cape Air's contract for MWA-Marion, Illinois is up this year, I believe ending November, 2019.

If history is showing...SkyWest will probably place a bid to fly MWA-ORD like they have done with DEC, UIN, CGI and the other former or current Cape Air stations that saw service to STL.

What are the odds SkyWest would actually place a bid for MWA-ORD service with CGI and PAH so close to each other?

I was stunned that UA/OO chose CGI over MWA with how close CGI is to PAH, but only then realize it was because MWA/9K's contract was not up yet in 2017 when it was announced.

I am from MWA so they would support jet service to ORD in a heartbeat, knowing they can drive 2 hours to STL. I imagine it would not be a loss to lose STL service, but MWA has seen STL service for so long via Ozark, TWA and etc.

Is there a way to look or be notified when they start the bidding process for MWA EAS service?

Thanks,

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Jshank83

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 pm

atrude777 wrote:

If history is showing...SkyWest will probably place a bid to fly MWA-ORD like they have done with DEC, UIN, CGI and the other former or current Cape Air stations that saw service to STL.

What are the odds SkyWest would actually place a bid for MWA-ORD service with CGI and PAH so close to each other?

Skywest hasn't placed bids on all EAS routes Cape and Air Choice One are flying from STL (like TBN), they also haven't won all they tried to get (like DEC). Not sure what Skywest is looking for route wise to bid on one.

UIN is up again this year, I would guess skywest will bid it again but the last report I saw said they are only breaking even on it so not sure if that keeps them around. Depends on if there are other routes they can use the planes for UA/AA/DL.

Jshank83

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:33 pm

dcaproducer

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:26 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

BLV numbers are pretty good. Looks like MYR is missing.

Have you seen May passenger totals for STL? And does BLV release their passenger totals?

Jshank83

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:59 pm

MYR doesn’t start til June (or maybe May).

May aren’t out for STL yet.

BLV doesn’t release theirs. I only see theirs during the same release as the LF so they should only be out thru March.

TVNWZ

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
I remember that crazy story with the chopper hijacking. I worked with Alan Barklage briefly when I was at KSDK about a year before he died in an unrelated helicopter crash.

Were you there for Bob Richards suicide by plane?

dcaproducer

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:23 am

TVNWZ wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

Were you there for Bob Richards suicide by plane?

End of high school! I remember that morning well. The Post was publishing an article about an alleged affair that morning, if I recall, and he crashed his plane at Spirit.

STLflyer

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:23 am

Damn, how did we miss the Queen making a visit to STL a couple weeks ago?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/PAC ... /KSTL/OETB

Any idea what a random cargo flight from STL to Saudi Arabia might’ve been carrying?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos