Jshank83

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:10 pm

stl07 wrote:
atrude777 wrote:
http://www.wsiltv.com/story/40885188/veterans-airport-board-recommends-next-air-carrier

"MARION (WSIL) -- The Williamson County Airport Authority voted unanimously to recommend that the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) award a new contract to Cape Air.

The group chose the airline's proposal to fly into both St. Louis and Nashville, Tennessee. The Cape Air proposal also includes the introduction of a new aircraft that will provide more cabin and luggage space- the Tecnam Traveler."

Marion-MWA has voted to keep Cape Air over SkyWest and add a Nashville Proposal as well.

If MWA chose the 4 year option MWA-STL/BNA...it's 3,093, 781 with Cape Air, versus SkyWest at 3,179,862.

Assuming DOT approves it (would be shocked if DOT goes the other direction), MWA will get Nashville service.

The only reason I see DOT going with SkyWest is CGI and PAH nearby have United service and would compliment it, but not holding my breath.

I am very disappointed, as this service especially Nashville does no good to me trying to fly home to Southern Illinois from Chicago. I have no reason to fly ORD-BNA-MWA and spend $70 bucks extra to fly BNA-MWA when I can spend the $70 bucks to fly home non stop via CGI and PAH or even Amtrak.

CGI will select SkyWest, waiting for confirmation to be released...

So Community Support is...

UIN-Cape Air to STL/ORD
OWB-Cape Air to STL/BNA
CGI-SkyWest to ORD
MWA-Cape Air to STL/BNA

PAH's contract is up January of 2019.

Alex

Which begs the question, why did they even choose the BNA option? Wouldn't it have been better to keep the high frequency to STL for connectors?

Gives more codeshare/interline one stop options.
for example.
STL has PHX on AA, BNA doesn't
BNA has BOS on DL, STL doesn't.
Also I am guessing the airports have different flight times to different destinations so they can line up their flights better to have shorter layovers.
And of course a 2nd nonstop flight location.

PhilMcCrackin

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 am

stl07 wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Well, ANC got a flight. The only city even less likely than STL/PIT/BNA/CLE (ect.)

It's a summer seasonal flight and Alaska gets a shed load of tourism in the summer time.

And?

Do I really need to explain this further?

Does STL get cruise ships?

dcaproducer

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:41 am

jplatts wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Curious what Gojet getting kicked to the curb by DL will mean for flights here if anything. More mainline?

DL adding mainline to LGA from STL might happen since STL is one of the top domestic destinations traveled to from NYC that doesn't currently have mainline on any of the US3 carriers.

Perfect opportunity for an A220.

dcaproducer

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:43 am

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
stl07 wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:

It's a summer seasonal flight and Alaska gets a shed load of tourism in the summer time.

And?

Yes, yes it does. ;-)
https://www.americancruiselines.com/cru ... way-cruise

Jshank83

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:35 am

dcaproducer wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:
stl07 wrote:
And?

Yes, yes it does. ;-)
https://www.americancruiselines.com/cru ... way-cruise

Ive said it on here before and I’ll say it again. STL is the Miami of the Midwest. Cruises, waterfront property, beaches/sandbars, boating. Basically the same thing.....
Last edited by Jshank83 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

flyPIT

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:48 am

stl07 wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Well, ANC got a flight. The only city even less likely than STL/PIT/BNA/CLE (ect.)

And?

And what? It was spelled out there very simply. ANC got the service for those reasons.
FLYi

stl07

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:25 am

flyPIT wrote:
stl07 wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:

And?

And what? It was spelled out there very simply. ANC got the service for those reasons.

Cool. I never asked why ANC would get a flight. I was only commenting on the fact that people were laughing at suggestions like STL and other cities they deemed to be too small and ANC got a flight, which is less than a quarter of the sizes of those cities, and that response (and yours) had nothing to do with that. I can make up reasons why an airline could choose any city after they have chosen it. Heck, if Branson got a flight, I could say "It's a summer seasonal flight and (Branson) gets a shed load of tourism in the summer time.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

TWA302

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:07 am

stl07 wrote:
atrude777 wrote:
http://www.wsiltv.com/story/40885188/veterans-airport-board-recommends-next-air-carrier

"MARION (WSIL) -- The Williamson County Airport Authority voted unanimously to recommend that the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) award a new contract to Cape Air.

The group chose the airline's proposal to fly into both St. Louis and Nashville, Tennessee. The Cape Air proposal also includes the introduction of a new aircraft that will provide more cabin and luggage space- the Tecnam Traveler."

Marion-MWA has voted to keep Cape Air over SkyWest and add a Nashville Proposal as well.

If MWA chose the 4 year option MWA-STL/BNA...it's 3,093, 781 with Cape Air, versus SkyWest at 3,179,862.

Assuming DOT approves it (would be shocked if DOT goes the other direction), MWA will get Nashville service.

The only reason I see DOT going with SkyWest is CGI and PAH nearby have United service and would compliment it, but not holding my breath.

I am very disappointed, as this service especially Nashville does no good to me trying to fly home to Southern Illinois from Chicago. I have no reason to fly ORD-BNA-MWA and spend $70 bucks extra to fly BNA-MWA when I can spend the $70 bucks to fly home non stop via CGI and PAH or even Amtrak.

UIN-Cape Air to STL/ORD
OWB-Cape Air to STL/BNA
CGI-SkyWest to ORD
MWA-Cape Air to STL/BNA

Alex

Which begs the question, why did they even choose the BNA option? Wouldn't it have been better to keep the high frequency to STL for connectors?

Serious question here. Does BNA provide any financial incentives for this? It doesn't make sense to have both. I get the tourism of Nashvegas etc. But this is supposed to be EAS and BNA doesn't seem "essential" I could understand STL/ORS or BNA/ORD. Help me understand the thought process/business decision behind this one. Thanks. I'll hang up and listen.

Jshank83

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm

TWA302 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
atrude777 wrote:

UIN-Cape Air to STL/ORD
OWB-Cape Air to STL/BNA
CGI-SkyWest to ORD
MWA-Cape Air to STL/BNA

Alex

Serious question here. Does BNA provide any financial incentives for this? It doesn't make sense to have both. I get the tourism of Nashvegas etc. But this is supposed to be EAS and BNA doesn't seem "essential" I could understand STL/ORS or BNA/ORD. Help me understand the thought process/business decision behind this one. Thanks. I'll hang up and listen.

I don’t think either airport provides anything. It literally is Marion just wanting 2 destinations instead of one and ORD costs too much.

atrude777

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 pm

TWA302 wrote:

TWA-No incentive at all. BNA will be new for Cape Air, but the cost will be a bit lowered as both MWA and OWB will have service to BNA on Cape Air. I agree, I would have preferred 6 daily to STL instead.

I am more shocked they didn't try and ask Cape Air to do ORD...4 to STL and 2 to ORD, Cape Air can interline with EVERYONE out of Chicago while keeping STL for the Southwest options too.

I'll answer your question with Jshanks down below about why STL/BNA over ORD.

Jshank83 wrote:

I don’t think either airport provides anything. It literally is Marion just wanting 2 destinations instead of one and ORD costs too much.

Jshanks-The articles (ill provide links) said the cost was not the deciding factor. Overwhelmingly the support between Phone Calls, and Community and Business wanted Chicago Service. Overall SkyWest won, but Kimmel, the director for MWA said they did not want to limit themselves to only 2 flights and to ORD which is known for delays, cancellations and such.

Links and Statements...

http://www.wsiltv.com/story/40891124/ai ... ne-service

Quote "He explains Skywest, which proposed flights to Chicago, had most of the votes, but airport leaders decided to pick Cape Air.

"Regional air service is not successful based upon point-to-point service," says Kimmel."

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/airp ... d4e2e.html

Quotes "Kimmel said the support for Chicago flights was almost entirely from those who want direct access to and from Chicago, point-to-point service. Kimmel said that is not what makes regional air service successful or what it is designed to do. Regional air service is designed to get passengers to larger airports to connect them with the national air transportation system, then on to a final destination"

--I disagree with this. We wanted Chicago not just to be able to get to Chicago but to fly beyond Chicago. What Kimmel described is two segments...MWA-STL-XXX...where MWA-ORD-XXX is better...

"Kimmel added that in the end, Williamson County Airport Authority is not saying no to SkyWest, but just saying not right now. After four years with the new Cape Air planes and flights to Nashville, if the airport has not seen measurable growth in traffic, then the bidding process will start again."
--Fair enough but very disappointed either way.

This article is a very good and explains why Cape Air was chosen but the cost in terms of subsidiary was not the reason. Cape Air is stating they will sell BNA from MWA for $70 bucks and SkyWest will sell Chicago if they had been selected for $75 bucks (of course taxes and fees not included).

Reading the Facebook comments and Article, the majority of the region is NOT happy they went with STL/BNA. Business's especially were wanting the Chicago connection not just to fly to Chicago but to fly beyond Chicago and go all over the world in just one stop.

People down here said why vote for SkyWest when they already fly from CGI and PAH...and I am raising my eyebrow like you're assuming we will keep these services, CGI and PAH are also EAS and there is no guarantee these will last forever.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Jshank83

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:13 pm

atrude777 wrote:

Jshanks-The articles (ill provide links) said the cost was not the deciding factor.

They can say cost isn't a factor (and for them it might not have been due to no Cape ORD option) but it is and that is why Cape didn't offer ORD flights. The subsidies to the government would have been much higher and plane tickets would have been also. DOT probably wouldn't have approved whatever those numbers were and that is why ORD wasn't factored in. Air Choice One I think offered ORD/XXX options to Owensboro (They may have to Marion also) and they were really high.

Jshank83

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:35 pm

DEC is having their EAS contract renewed this year also. They are hearing presentations this week.

Cape Air, Air Choice One, SkyWest, Boutique.

I haven't seen all the numbers so I am not sure what the look like.

Last time they picked skywest and DOT said no and gave them Cape Air instead.

https://herald-review.com/news/local/pa ... a59bc.html

Jshank83

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:24 pm

Majestic is renting out space by fedex/UPS and starting 2 cargo flights a day in September.

stl07

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Majestic is renting out space by fedex/UPS and starting 2 cargo flights a day in September.

Who is majestic? I couldn't find a wiki
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Jshank83

Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:36 pm

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

https://www.majesticterminalservices.com

Currently, we operate in nine cities providing a wide range of services to most major carriers, including; Alaska, American, Delta, Southwest, United, and China Airlines. We also handle all charter aircraft as well as multiple daily All-Cargo Carriers in ONT for ABX, ATI, and Atlas in support of major e-commerce operations.

pmanni1

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:50 pm

F9 MCO-STL OCT 1.0>1.5[1.0] NOV 1.0>1.3[1.0]
Additional morning flight Mon,Wed,Fri,Sat at 9:16am on A320. Very close to the other morning flight at 7:40am.

TWA302

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Build-a-Bear is moving headquarters from Overland to downtown. Probably needs a lot of extra stuffed animal parts for this :rotfl:

dcaproducer

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Currently, we operate in nine cities providing a wide range of services to most major carriers, including; Alaska, American, Delta, Southwest, United, and China Airlines. We also handle all charter aircraft as well as multiple daily All-Cargo Carriers in ONT for ABX, ATI, and Atlas in support of major e-commerce operations.

Makes you wonder if they already have a cargo contract that covers those two flights. I wonder what aircraft these will be and who's flying the planes.

TWA302

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:15 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Makes you wonder if they already have a cargo contract that covers those two flights. I wonder what aircraft these will be and who's flying the planes.

ABX is all 767s, ATI has 767s and 757s so probably those. Atlas has the 767s and 747s. Would love to get some Queen of the Skies back here. Pretty sure each operator will use their own crews.

dcaproducer

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:29 am

TWA302 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

ABX is all 767s, ATI has 767s and 757s so probably those. Atlas has the 767s and 747s. Would love to get some Queen of the Skies back here. Pretty sure each operator will use their own crews.

To clarify my comment, I figured a cargo carrier would come in and operate the flights. I was more curious which one. Also, will this be international cargo or domestic. It will be interesting to see.

Jshank83

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:36 am

dcaproducer wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

To clarify my comment, I figured a cargo carrier would come in and operate the flights. I was more curious which one. Also, will this be international cargo or domestic. It will be interesting to see.

I assumed domestic but that’s a good question.

maps4ltd

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 am

pmanni1 wrote:
Additional morning flight Mon,Wed,Fri,Sat at 9:16am on A320. Very close to the other morning flight at 7:40am.

I could see this getting dicey in the event of a delay with gate availability. Doesn't F9 only have two gates?
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

Jshank83

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:31 am

maps4ltd wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

I could see this getting dicey in the event of a delay with gate availability. Doesn't F9 only have two gates?

Yea but there are a couple other per turn gates just up the way from theirs if they got in a pinch. Sun Country is per turn and they just redid C29/30 (one of those 2 is getting a jetbridge) so they could use one of those if they really needed to.

CUN is only running Tues/Thurs/Saturday in October so it looks like it shouldn't be a big deal. Pretty good gaps.

Depatures. Monday

DEN 540
MCO 740
MCO 916
DEN 1009
LAS 2018

Saturday

DEN 540
MCO 740
MCO 916
CUN1019
DEN 1932
LAS 2018

Jshank83

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 am

I'll be curious if this announcement tomorrow is G4 and if BLV gets anything. They have cut back flights this winter on the current schedule from last year. We will see if they fill them in with no routes or not. They haven't had a new route in a couple years.

jplatts

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 am

Jshank83 wrote:
I'll be curious if this announcement tomorrow is G4 and if BLV gets anything. They have cut back flights this winter on the current schedule from last year. We will see if they fill them in with no routes or not. They haven't had a new route in a couple years.

G4 adding BLV-SAV nonstop service is a possibility as St. Louis is the largest market in the Midwest that doesn't have nonstop service to SAV.

maps4ltd

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:20 am

Could be part of the SRQ.

Jshank83

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:52 am

jplatts wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

G4 adding BLV-SAV nonstop service is a possibility as St. Louis is the largest market in the Midwest that doesn't have nonstop service to SAV.

I doubt this update has SAV seeing it is probably winter flights. I can't see SAV starting earlier than March.

Jshank83

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:41 am

‪Starting November 15 Allegiant will start flying from BLV to Sarasota, FL 2x a week on Fridays and Mondays!‬ Great add

STLflyer

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Anyone know why the Cardinals charter switched from DAL8890 (which it's been for years) to DAL8884 a couple weeks ago?

maps4ltd

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:26 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Could be part of the SRQ.

Called it.

gnakra80

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:27 pm

STLflyer wrote:
Anyone know why the Cardinals charter switched from DAL8890 (which it's been for years) to DAL8884 a couple weeks ago?

Is it a more expensive plane with minimal rewards? If so, it’s on strategy with the team too.

Jshank83

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Bunge moving their global headquarters from New York to STL. Probably not a ton of new jobs seeing they already had their NA headquarters here but it adds a Fortune 500 company. Hopefully adds to the flight demand a bit (at least premium seats).

maps4ltd

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:14 am

American 777-200 PHX-LHR (N750AN) diverted to STL. Not sure why, but it's in the air again now, and seeing Flightradar24 label a flight STL-LHR on an American 777 is probably not something you'll see in a while.

stl07

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 am

gnakra80 wrote:
STLflyer wrote:

Is it a more expensive plane with minimal rewards? If so, it’s on strategy with the team too.

HA

Jshank83

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:32 am

maps4ltd wrote:
American 777-200 PHX-LHR (N750AN) diverted to STL. Not sure why, but it's in the air again now, and seeing Flightradar24 label a flight STL-LHR on an American 777 is probably not something you'll see in a while.

Unruly passenger.

https://www.kmov.com/news/flight-from-p ... 9e270.html

maps4ltd

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:58 am

Jshank83 wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

Unruly passenger.

Wow, slow news night at KMOV. That's the shortest article I've ever seen out of them.

It was nice to get that picture, though.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the first time American's PHX-LHR flight has diverted since it was inaugurated a few months ago.

Jshank83

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:03 am

maps4ltd wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

Unruly passenger.

Wow, slow news night at KMOV. That's the shortest article I've ever seen out of them.

It was nice to get that picture, though.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the first time American's PHX-LHR flight has diverted since it was inaugurated a few months ago.

Only 2 hours into the flight. That passenger wasn't wasting any time.

stl07

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:10 am

Can we get a dang sky club? They have been expanding existing clubs and adding new cities recently. Delta can want to be the hometown "business" carrier all it wants but it's not getting anywhere against AA without one (as well as significant additions to Florida, the Northeast, and the west coast, at least to where its hubs are, just like AA does)

stl07

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:34 am

In a shocking turn of events, SY has cancelled and/or suspended MSP beginning in Jan.

I wonder whether it was the high frequency of MSP on not one but two other airlines or the fact that nobody wants to go there in the winter, and nobody from there wants to come here in the winter

pmanni1

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 am

stl07 wrote:
In a shocking turn of events, SY has cancelled and/or suspended MSP beginning in Jan.

I wonder whether it was the high frequency of MSP on not one but two other airlines or the fact that nobody wants to go there in the winter, and nobody from there wants to come here in the winter

TPA and RSW start up again and replace MSP and run through April.

Jshank83

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:20 pm

stl07 wrote:

I wouldn’t say shocking. I was more shocked they ran it in the first place in winter or 4x at all any time. Looks like they backed BNA off to 2x a week to MSP

Skyclub wise they don’t really have anywhere to put it.

stl07

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:27 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

TPA and RSW start up again and replace MSP and run through April.

They were selling msp as well earlier

stl07

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I wouldn’t say shocking. I was more shocked they ran it in the first place in winter or 4x at all any time. Looks like they backed BNA off to 2x a week to MSP

Sarcasm

dcaproducer

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:31 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Build it on top of A, like they did with the B SkyClub in ATL ;-) (pipe dream)
Really, take out A9, put in a SkyClub there and take some of the space from A15.

Jshank83

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 am

A few aviation facts with the announcement of STL getting an MLS team.

STL has nonstop flights to 25 of the 27 MLS (and to be MLS) markets. Montreal and Vancouver are the only two that they don't have flights to.
Only other city without a TATL flight is Columbus.

Jshank83

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Up 17 flights on Sunday and 6 mon-fri. Pretty good gains there.

https://twitter.com/flystl/status/1162027503751507968

dcaproducer

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Think this growth will lead to more gates? My guess is if the Max issue is solved expect even more additions on the next schedule extension.
Their post also didn’t mention if there are any new destinations or just additional frequencies.

Jshank83

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:49 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Think this growth will lead to more gates? My guess is if the Max issue is solved expect even more additions on the next schedule extension.
Their post also didn’t mention if there are any new destinations or just additional frequencies.

It’s just frequencies. I’ll go thru them today or tomorrow. Oakland is back to year round now though. It has been suspended during Jan/feb past years.

pmanni1

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

It’s just frequencies. I’ll go thru them today or tomorrow. Oakland is back to year round now though. It has been suspended during Jan/feb past years.

I'm not understanding 17 additional flights make 117 total when I thought there were already over 120+ on Sundays..

dcaproducer

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:39 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

I'm not understanding 17 additional flights make 117 total when I thought there were already over 120+ on Sundays..

That’s a good point. I thought WN was already well over 100 daily flights. 17 additional on Sunday should be pushing higher than 117.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos