Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
dcaproducer
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:40 am

I agree DL could fit a few more flights into their current gates. BOS would make sense with an AM and PM flight and LAX/SEA could easily be a single flight each. DL parks aircraft by B and then just tows them over after the first morning wave leaves. This could work since there is available ramp space. A15 would just give them some elbow room.

I don’t ever recall a United Club in STL. I mainly flew TWA, but I just don’t recall that. A in general has good food options. The Delta gates get busy because they use a lot of mainline aircraft. The UA gates are close together near the end of A so there’s not a ton of space. With the exception of A9/A15 the rest of the concourse is pretty well used. A9 is basically a door without a waiting area. A15 has a large hold area.
 
Trololzilla
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:20 am

I still think that long-term, it makes more sense for DL to move to C and for airlines with a smaller presence (like DY, AS, etc.) to move to A. Gives DL a more room to grow, takes some pressure off of A, and it would even give DL the option to renovate the TWA Ambassador's Club space into a Sky Club if need be.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:31 am

Trololzilla wrote:
I still think that long-term, it makes more sense for DL to move to C and for airlines with a smaller presence (like DY, AS, etc.) to move to A. Gives DL a more room to grow, takes some pressure off of A, and it would even give DL the option to renovate the TWA Ambassador's Club space into a Sky Club if need be.


I really like this idea.
 
jrkstl
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Trololzilla wrote:
I still think that long-term, it makes more sense for DL to move to C and for airlines with a smaller presence (like DY, AS, etc.) to move to A. Gives DL a more room to grow, takes some pressure off of A, and it would even give DL the option to renovate the TWA Ambassador's Club space into a Sky Club if need be.


I really like this idea.


Me.Too!

I know it’s a long shot, but would love nothing more than to see DL ramp up service here. And how cool would it be to see a DL transatlantic flight or two coming out of the end of C again?

Hey, I can dream...
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:12 am

Listening to ATC and an AA jet was given 12L to land on. Asked for 12R but was denied do to broken down vehicle blocking runway :roll: Then asked for 11, due to better braking, and it is closed also. I didn't realize 12L is that much worse than the others that AA would rather use 11 over 12L
 
N383SW
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:18 am

jrkstl wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Trololzilla wrote:
I still think that long-term, it makes more sense for DL to move to C and for airlines with a smaller presence (like DY, AS, etc.) to move to A. Gives DL a more room to grow, takes some pressure off of A, and it would even give DL the option to renovate the TWA Ambassador's Club space into a Sky Club if need be.


I really like this idea.


Me.Too!

I know it’s a long shot, but would love nothing more than to see DL ramp up service here. And how cool would it be to see a DL transatlantic flight or two coming out of the end of C again?

Hey, I can dream...


I've never understood why A was renovated when Delta and United could've been consolidated in C or even move someone (namely 3E and 9K) over to the first few gates on D. It would consolidate the amount of Security checkpoints. Pipe dreams I suppose lol
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:27 pm

I think moving UA and DL to C would require both C and D to be operational. There are 14ish gates on A that are in use and even if you open all of C that would pretty much not leave much room to expand. D is better to save for WN.

I think DL could easily move to C and have the end of the concourse, but I think they like being at the beginning of A. Security at A, at lease PreCheck, is always super fast. End of C would give them a lot of flexibility with aircraft.
 
kipfilet
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:05 pm

UA used to have a lounge on the A concourse??
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:27 pm

kipfilet wrote:
UA used to have a lounge on the A concourse??


I don't ever remember UA having a club in STL. Looking at old terminal maps from the 1980's on Departed Flights doesn't show any club.
I have no idea where a club would even fit in concourse A.
 
N383SW
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:22 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
kipfilet wrote:
UA used to have a lounge on the A concourse??


I don't ever remember UA having a club in STL. Looking at old terminal maps from the 1980's on Departed Flights doesn't show any club.
I have no idea where a club would even fit in concourse A.


I've been trying to find info on this since yesterday and can't find anything. I'm considering sending an email to either United or Lambert but I don't even know where to begin or if anybody today can even recall a Red Carpet Club. I do remember several times seeing a sign for it when I was younger (I'm 43 now) and always thought it was odd that they had a club here (only served DEN and ORD back then with 737's and 727's). I hate misinformation and like to have facts to back up anything that I say so hopefully I can find a definite answer one way or the other.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11223
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:28 pm

United can stay where they are.
Doing a flip with Delta into C and bringing some of their carriers into A makes sense - as it appears they may actually be interested in bringing in larger aircraft and perhaps connecting to other cities important to the Delta network and allow them to do the unthinkable and crazy - adding something along the lines of Boston and JFK.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:12 am

2018 3rd qtr O&D numbers are out.

Overall up 3% or 335 passengers a day for my chart. I try to only do routes with 10 or more passengers a day on them so everything under that I don't take into account but it could skew things some.

Biggest gains YOY (Raw Number)
Miami 43
Houston 42
Orlando 38
Sacramento 27
Tampa 26
Dallas 25
SLC 22
Milwaukee 21
Hartford 20 (new route)

Losers
Atlanta -45
Chicago -21

By %
Gains
Amarillo 38%
Milwaukee 37%
Billings, Sacramento, Boise 32%
Hartford 28%

Largest Unserved
Norfolk, VA 57
Richmond, VA 44
Albuquerque, NM 39

Full document. Separate tabs for the past year and change YoY
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:24 pm

I’m surprised WN doesn’t fly Albuquerque. I can see them picking up Richmond and/or Norfolk.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11223
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:51 pm

Out of curiosity - where does Tucson rank on the list? I know Phoenix has and will always continue to be strong and a favorite of people for STL for retirements, golfing, etc., but I know in recent years, more and more have been going further south to Tucson, etc.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:30 pm

stlgph wrote:
Out of curiosity - where does Tucson rank on the list? I know Phoenix has and will always continue to be strong and a favorite of people for STL for retirements, golfing, etc., but I know in recent years, more and more have been going further south to Tucson, etc.



Tied with Reno for next unserved. Only 35 a day. Long route for that low.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11223
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Southwest *COULD* come on the route and "do it's thing" but they've generally gotten away from using the "Southwest Effect" for route strategy.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Out of curiousity, what is the O&D to NAS and SJU? CUN may be a better beach destination from STL, but on the east coast we definitely favor the Caribbean. TWA used to make SJU work from STL, as in they flew it.

On the big “what if” front, if WN does expand and eventually take up most of D and let’s say most of C eventually fills up in the next few years, does the airport potentially look at a major rebuild of the concourses at some point? Obviously business has to be sustained, but I’m thinking 10 years down the road.
Something similar to what SLC is doing?
 
ktarabay98
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:40 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Out of curiousity, what is the O&D to NAS and SJU? CUN may be a better beach destination from STL, but on the east coast we definitely favor the Caribbean. TWA used to make SJU work from STL, as in they flew it.

On the big “what if” front, if WN does expand and eventually take up most of D and let’s say most of C eventually fills up in the next few years, does the airport potentially look at a major rebuild of the concourses at some point? Obviously business has to be sustained, but I’m thinking 10 years down the road.
Something similar to what SLC is doing?


In RouteShop, STL has SJU on the interested unserved destination list.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:30 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Out of curiousity, what is the O&D to NAS and SJU? CUN may be a better beach destination from STL, but on the east coast we definitely favor the Caribbean. TWA used to make SJU work from STL, as in they flew it.

On the big “what if” front, if WN does expand and eventually take up most of D and let’s say most of C eventually fills up in the next few years, does the airport potentially look at a major rebuild of the concourses at some point? Obviously business has to be sustained, but I’m thinking 10 years down the road.
Something similar to what SLC is doing?



They only list mainland US airports in the O&D numbers as far as I have seen.

As far as long term terminal plans, I haven't seen any. That said. I don't see it filling up in the next 10 years.
 
STLflyer
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:27 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Out of curiousity, what is the O&D to NAS and SJU? CUN may be a better beach destination from STL, but on the east coast we definitely favor the Caribbean. TWA used to make SJU work from STL, as in they flew it.

On the big “what if” front, if WN does expand and eventually take up most of D and let’s say most of C eventually fills up in the next few years, does the airport potentially look at a major rebuild of the concourses at some point? Obviously business has to be sustained, but I’m thinking 10 years down the road.
Something similar to what SLC is doing?

They’ll reopen B
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:48 pm

STLflyer wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Out of curiousity, what is the O&D to NAS and SJU? CUN may be a better beach destination from STL, but on the east coast we definitely favor the Caribbean. TWA used to make SJU work from STL, as in they flew it.

On the big “what if” front, if WN does expand and eventually take up most of D and let’s say most of C eventually fills up in the next few years, does the airport potentially look at a major rebuild of the concourses at some point? Obviously business has to be sustained, but I’m thinking 10 years down the road.
Something similar to what SLC is doing?

They’ll reopen B


Does B actually have space for mainline aircraft?
Realistically if the airport gets back to 20+ million in annual passengers (which is realistic) it would be intesting to see if any sort of push develops for a remodel. But I agree they will likely use every square inch first. (Not saying they will, just think it’s an interesting question)
 
N383SW
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:55 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
STLflyer wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:
Out of curiousity, what is the O&D to NAS and SJU? CUN may be a better beach destination from STL, but on the east coast we definitely favor the Caribbean. TWA used to make SJU work from STL, as in they flew it.

On the big “what if” front, if WN does expand and eventually take up most of D and let’s say most of C eventually fills up in the next few years, does the airport potentially look at a major rebuild of the concourses at some point? Obviously business has to be sustained, but I’m thinking 10 years down the road.
Something similar to what SLC is doing?

They’ll reopen B


Does B actually have space for mainline aircraft?
Realistically if the airport gets back to 20+ million in annual passengers (which is realistic) it would be intesting to see if any sort of push develops for a remodel. But I agree they will likely use every square inch first.


Yeah, when TWA was still using B, I would see 727’s and DC9’s parked there. Now idk how much of it would be useful on the side between A and B.
 
Trololzilla
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:35 am

Moving Cape Air and Air Choice One to B would free up some 3-4 gates on C, which would help.

Otherwise there's always the new midfield terminal option.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11223
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:56 pm

I dont think reopening B is part of the outlook right now. They've been promoting it as an event and conference space and appear to be continuing to do so since they are looking to add to their marketing and communications team to continue to build the space and services, among other things.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:54 pm

stlgph wrote:
I dont think reopening B is part of the outlook right now. They've been promoting it as an event and conference space and appear to be continuing to do so since they are looking to add to their marketing and communications team to continue to build the space and services, among other things.


I agree with this. I think the airport wants to focus on C and D. If WN takes 3-4 more gates I think there's a real possibility of the rest of D reopening to connect to T1. I would suspect, if new service/airline begins, we'll see the rest of C open too.
Also, DL uses the area around B to park planes, especially for their morning departures.
 
Trololzilla
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:05 am

stlgph wrote:
I dont think reopening B is part of the outlook right now. They've been promoting it as an event and conference space and appear to be continuing to do so since they are looking to add to their marketing and communications team to continue to build the space and services, among other things.

Agreed. That said, I don't think moving Cape/AC1 to B would necessarily preclude using it as a rental event space. AFAIK, they only use the end of B (where it becomes a large room), and the very end of the gate hall for events. I honestly think they could squeeze both carriers into B4 (maybe B4 and B6) and just partition off the event space end of the concourse with some of those handy folding sound-dampening room dividers. Security access for passengers shouldn't be an issue as there's a secure hallway leading from the B/C/D checkpoint to B, and a separate hallway that I think leads to arrivals (I never flew out of Lambert when B was operational, so if that's wrong, feel free to let me know). With the gate agent(s), some belt barriers, and an additional staff member or two, it'd probably be pretty easy to corral passengers to where they needed to go. There'd likely still be ample room to use B for extra parking/ramp storage as well, and the views during an event certainly wouldn't be hurt.

With the proper separation, you could honestly probably have an event happening alongside operations at B. Doubt the TSA/FAA would like or approve it, but I bet it could be done without too much hassle.
 
N383SW
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 am

Trololzilla wrote:
stlgph wrote:
I dont think reopening B is part of the outlook right now. They've been promoting it as an event and conference space and appear to be continuing to do so since they are looking to add to their marketing and communications team to continue to build the space and services, among other things.

Agreed. That said, I don't think moving Cape/AC1 to B would necessarily preclude using it as a rental event space. AFAIK, they only use the end of B (where it becomes a large room), and the very end of the gate hall for events. I honestly think they could squeeze both carriers into B4 (maybe B4 and B6) and just partition off the event space end of the concourse with some of those handy folding sound-dampening room dividers. Security access for passengers shouldn't be an issue as there's a secure hallway leading from the B/C/D checkpoint to B, and a separate hallway that I think leads to arrivals (I never flew out of Lambert when B was operational, so if that's wrong, feel free to let me know). With the gate agent(s), some belt barriers, and an additional staff member or two, it'd probably be pretty easy to corral passengers to where they needed to go. There'd likely still be ample room to use B for extra parking/ramp storage as well, and the views during an event certainly wouldn't be hurt.

With the proper separation, you could honestly probably have an event happening alongside operations at B. Doubt the TSA/FAA would like or approve it, but I bet it could be done without too much hassle.


Well for Cape and AC1 there is also D8/10 (IIRC is where Cape used to operate from before the move to C) which are Ramp boarding gates. With the talk of reopening D and the fact that 9K and 3E don't utilize jetways anyway it seems like a perfect spot for them. I understand there is rumor of WN taking more D gates but I'm sure since D8/10 are ground level that it really wouldn't interfere even IF someday WN wanted to expand into what remains of the concourse.
 
Trololzilla
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:47 am

^ Even better, since it's less of a move for either airline and comes with far fewer other hassles. The smaller size of D's gate areas seems more aptly suited for them anyway - I'm glad to have the airlines, don't get me wrong, but it is a bit frustrating for them to occupy and essentially waste so much fairly valuable real estate.
 
User avatar
symphonicpoet
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:57 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:16 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Listening to ATC and an AA jet was given 12L to land on. Asked for 12R but was denied do to broken down vehicle blocking runway :roll: Then asked for 11, due to better braking, and it is closed also. I didn't realize 12L is that much worse than the others that AA would rather use 11 over 12L


It is quite a lot narrower than 12R at least, which isn't too obvious when you're taking pictures. 12L is maybe 150' from some Google measuring, 11 is similar, but with nice new concrete and grooves, and 12R is nigh on 200' wide two thousand feet longer as well. I'm trying to remember the weather that day. I seem to recall it was cold and there was at least a light dusting of snow. Maybe the narrower runway is harder to use in crosswind conditions, as it's less forgiving? Might also be that the fresh grooves make 11 easier when things are slick. I'd forgotten the width was that different, but you can see it on aerial photographs easily enough.

As to all of the B business . . . I don't think anyone was suggesting such a thing would be in the cards anytime soon. There's just so much more room now than there was in the 80s when the airport first crossed twenty million. But if the airport is pushing thirty million people again I could believe B will start looking attractive. Before major reconfigurations. Cheap usually wins. (Which is actually not always a bad thing.)

Not sure I see DL moving to C, but . . . that would solve their club problem nicely. If they ever wanted to do more here they might, but that's a really big if. It's a nice idea, really. Not bad. Would probably depend on incentives and numbers, though. I don't see anyone moving without at least a little encouragement.
TW AA MU JL KE DL UA LOF GJS SKW WN VN
STL JFK FRA GVA CDG IAD ORD PVG SGN NRT ICN ATL SFO HKG MDW LGA BNA DTW LHR
L1011 MD82 83 88 B737 738 741 744 762 763 772 773 777 A320 330 350 E175 C700
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:21 pm

symphonicpoet wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Listening to ATC and an AA jet was given 12L to land on. Asked for 12R but was denied do to broken down vehicle blocking runway :roll: Then asked for 11, due to better braking, and it is closed also. I didn't realize 12L is that much worse than the others that AA would rather use 11 over 12L


It is quite a lot narrower than 12R at least, which isn't too obvious when you're taking pictures. 12L is maybe 150' from some Google measuring, 11 is similar, but with nice new concrete and grooves, and 12R is nigh on 200' wide two thousand feet longer as well. I'm trying to remember the weather that day. I seem to recall it was cold and there was at least a light dusting of snow. Maybe the narrower runway is harder to use in crosswind conditions, as it's less forgiving? Might also be that the fresh grooves make 11 easier when things are slick. I'd forgotten the width was that different, but you can see it on aerial photographs easily enough.

Wind wasn't an issue, it was snow on the runway. They acted like they were concerned about stopping.I am pretty sure 11 and 12L are the same length. 11 is newer though so maybe better pavement. I get wanting 12R over 12L since R is longer. Just not sure on 11 over 12L.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:44 pm

Looks like Sun Country has officially moved over to C28 now. The airport also lists Volaris at C28, but it might just be temporary while they replace the A15 jetway.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:49 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Looks like Sun Country has officially moved over to C28 now. The airport also lists Volaris at C28, but it might just be temporary while they replace the A15 jetway.

Flights to MEX? :bouncy:
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:15 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Looks like Sun Country has officially moved over to C28 now. The airport also lists Volaris at C28, but it might just be temporary while they replace the A15 jetway.


Any photos of what it looks like down by C28? I take it the concourse is still closed beyond there?
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:40 am

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Looks like Sun Country has officially moved over to C28 now. The airport also lists Volaris at C28, but it might just be temporary while they replace the A15 jetway.


Any photos of what it looks like down by C28? I take it the concourse is still closed beyond there?


Yeah. It is currently walled off after C28. Not sure when they are taking down that one and moving it back to beyond C30. I had heard March but I haven't heard an update since last year. I saw a few pics of the backside of the new wall (beyond C30) but nothing in the C29/30 area.

Here is a post from someone in an STL forum. Has a link to photos they took a couple weeks ago. Not sure if they are on a.net or not.

pmt257 wrote:
Not the best quality, I was running late and hustling a bit. Sun County was sitting at C27. I took a pick of C28 as it’s still striped for a 747.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xXHzX ... FLIk74WKaW
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:02 am

April Frequency Spreadsheet Update

Notes:
Frontier is running DEN 2x on Monday and MCO 2x on Friday

UA moves over 200 weekly departures (for the first time since I have been keeping track) and passes DL in that respect. But DL is running a lot more mainline so they have more passengers. UA is up 8.6% seats capacity YOY Mon-Fri

WN will have 3 scheduled daily MAX8's during the week (OAK/DEN/PHX). These and -800s get swapped out fairly often though so who knows what the number really will be.
WN will be at
119 mon-Thurs
120 Fri
87 Sat
125 Sun
808 Weekly

Weekly flights YoY change
WN 808 +46 (6%)
AA 246 -15 (-5.8%)
UA 201 +21 (11.7%)
DL 196 +13 (7.1%)
F9 38 +10 (35.8%)
AS 21 -7 (-25%)
AC 20 +1 (5.3%)
G4 20 even
SY 6

1701 for STL +54 (3.3%)
1721 combine with BLV

I'll try to get the seat differences later. UA is the only one I did so far. WN I won't have, I didn't keep track of plane type until a few months ago for them.

Full spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
 
Trololzilla
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:32 am

Jshank83 wrote:
symphonicpoet wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Wind wasn't an issue, it was snow on the runway. They acted like they were concerned about stopping.I am pretty sure 11 and 12L are the same length. 11 is newer though so maybe better pavement. I get wanting 12R over 12L since R is longer. Just not sure on 11 over 12L.

Length was probably the issue, since both main runways have very similar pavements conditions. Not sure how much they improved the overall surface of 12R/30L during the recent improvements (not much, I think), but it's probably not too much better in any case.

Runway | Length | Surface | Condition
06/24 7,607 x 150 Concrete Fair
11/29 9,001 x 150 Concrete Excellent
12L/30R 9,003 x 150 Concrete Good
12R/30L 11,019 x 200 Concrete Good
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:49 pm

Jshank83 is AA upgrading to larger aircraft with those reductions? Or shrinking even more?
I'm happy DL flies so much mainline in. I think they really could expand their market share in STL.

As for the photos around C28, I remember the retail/restaurant space along the people movers as you went up the ramp. It will be nice to see the airport fill out that space and give it some life. Hopefully the rest of the concourse gets reopened. Great real estate down there for retail options. I wonder if that old smoking lounge is still there. It was like a fishbowl of people sitting in their puffing away.
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8629
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Is runway 29 used for landings?
Is runway 11 used for takeoffs?

Looking at a google image, there's no black exhaust on one end, so I'm suspecting NO on both questions.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:08 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Is runway 29 used for landings?
Is runway 11 used for takeoffs?

Looking at a google image, there's no black exhaust on one end, so I'm suspecting NO on both questions.


29 is used for a limited number of arrivals. 11 was not used for departures in 2018. Data is on page 4
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/documents/noise-program/2018-Annual-NOISE-MANAGEMENT-REPORT-final.pdf
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8629
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:34 pm

TWA302 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
Is runway 29 used for landings?
Is runway 11 used for takeoffs?

Looking at a google image, there's no black exhaust on one end, so I'm suspecting NO on both questions.


29 is used for a limited number of arrivals. 11 was not used for departures in 2018. Data is on page 4
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/documents/noise-program/2018-Annual-NOISE-MANAGEMENT-REPORT-final.pdf



Thank you !!!!
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:13 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 is AA upgrading to larger aircraft with those reductions? Or shrinking even more?
I'm happy DL flies so much mainline in. I think they really could expand their market share in STL.

As for the photos around C28, I remember the retail/restaurant space along the people movers as you went up the ramp. It will be nice to see the airport fill out that space and give it some life. Hopefully the rest of the concourse gets reopened. Great real estate down there for retail options. I wonder if that old smoking lounge is still there. It was like a fishbowl of people sitting in their puffing away.


Seats are down 6.3% on AA for March YoY.

I really wish DL would do something like add LAX/SEA/BOS and international. Then offer equal status to everyone who has UA/AA status for the rest of the year. They could take over #2 pretty easily with something like that. I know it would never happen but I think they could push AA back even more with something like that.

And I am pretty sure the smoking lounge is still there. At least what looks like one. I didn't take a pic of it and haven't found anyone else who has though.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:16 pm

TWA302 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
Is runway 29 used for landings?
Is runway 11 used for takeoffs?

Looking at a google image, there's no black exhaust on one end, so I'm suspecting NO on both questions.


29 is used for a limited number of arrivals. 11 was not used for departures in 2018. Data is on page 4
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/documents/noise-program/2018-Annual-NOISE-MANAGEMENT-REPORT-final.pdf


29 is was used for landings when one of the 30s was closed for repairs. I noticed one day and stopped by the cell phone lot. Got some great pics. I wish it would happen more often. Also got some landings at 6 one day. Another great spot for it. That is even more rare though.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:18 pm

St. Clair County is adding bus service from the Scott metrolink station to BLV. A couple years overdue in my opinion but great to see. Makes it more likely I would fly out of there.
 
dcaproducer
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:33 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
St. Clair County is adding bus service from the Scott metrolink station to BLV. A couple years overdue in my opinion but great to see. Makes it more likely I would fly out of there.


I can't believe this didn't already exist. It will be interesting to see if Allegiant adds anything to BLV and if BLV can get the expansion completed that would add more gates.

As for DL, as a long time DL Platinum Medallion, they have a good product. I switched from AA to DL about ten years ago because of clients in ATL. If DL did something like they did in SEA by offering a status match or easy status to STL based fliers I think they'd pick up some travelers. DL has good one-stop options to Europe and Asia from STL. BOS/LAX/SEA would be nice adds. Move to C, open a SkyClub and I'd be really happy. Dare I also say STL-AUS as they ramp up AUS.
 
kipfilet
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:45 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
St. Clair County is adding bus service from the Scott metrolink station to BLV. A couple years overdue in my opinion but great to see. Makes it more likely I would fly out of there.


I can't believe this didn't already exist. It will be interesting to see if Allegiant adds anything to BLV and if BLV can get the expansion completed that would add more gates.

As for DL, as a long time DL Platinum Medallion, they have a good product. I switched from AA to DL about ten years ago because of clients in ATL. If DL did something like they did in SEA by offering a status match or easy status to STL based fliers I think they'd pick up some travelers. DL has good one-stop options to Europe and Asia from STL. BOS/LAX/SEA would be nice adds. Move to C, open a SkyClub and I'd be really happy. Dare I also say STL-AUS as they ramp up AUS.

Unfortunate there is no DL (or AA) flight to JFK though. There are a couple European destinations that are served by Delta from JFK but not ATL (LIS for example).
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 pm

dcaproducer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
St. Clair County is adding bus service from the Scott metrolink station to BLV. A couple years overdue in my opinion but great to see. Makes it more likely I would fly out of there.


I can't believe this didn't already exist. It will be interesting to see if Allegiant adds anything to BLV and if BLV can get the expansion completed that would add more gates.

As for DL, as a long time DL Platinum Medallion, they have a good product. I switched from AA to DL about ten years ago because of clients in ATL. If DL did something like they did in SEA by offering a status match or easy status to STL based fliers I think they'd pick up some travelers. DL has good one-stop options to Europe and Asia from STL. BOS/LAX/SEA would be nice adds. Move to C, open a SkyClub and I'd be really happy. Dare I also say STL-AUS as they ramp up AUS.

I'm not switching to DL because they don't have essentials like LAX/SAN, SEA, ORD, PHL, DC, or any Florida city for when I go on vacation (that once weekly seasonal flight doesn't count), all of which AA has. If they added BOS, DCA, SEA,FLL, and LAX like they do from other midwest cities, I would consider the switch, but right now, it is impractical. The only real hole AA has is BOS, which I put up with because they have everything else. I would love a skyclub like you said too
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:26 pm

.
Last edited by Jshank83 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Looks like Sun Country has officially moved over to C28 now. The airport also lists Volaris at C28, but it might just be temporary while they replace the A15 jetway.


Got a reply back and Volaris at C28 is permanent. So that means A15 is open for someone *cough* DL *cough*.


stl07 wrote:
I'm not switching to DL because they don't have essentials like LAX/SAN, SEA, ORD, PHL, DC, or any Florida city for when I go on vacation (that once weekly seasonal flight doesn't count), all of which AA has. If they added BOS, DCA, SEA,FLL, and LAX like they do from other midwest cities, I would consider the switch, but right now, it is impractical. The only real hole AA has is BOS, which I put up with because they have everything else. I would love a skyclub like you said too


This really is my biggest knock on DL. Their hubs aren't in places I go besides LGA. So I really only fly them to NYC/Europe and if I have to have a connection anyway. I just like their product better than the others, ie hardly any 50 seaters. But that is a personal thing, obviously.
UA is almost all places I go, especially SFO. So I wish UA would just fly bigger planes. I could switch to them fairly easy.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:34 am

Extra flight now showing up as bookable on AC to YYZ starting June 3rd. 4x daily. (3 on Sat)
 
BHMNONREV
Posts: 1237
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:17 am

Re: St. Louis Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:06 am

Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
Is runway 29 used for landings?
Is runway 11 used for takeoffs?

Looking at a google image, there's no black exhaust on one end, so I'm suspecting NO on both questions.


29 is used for a limited number of arrivals. 11 was not used for departures in 2018. Data is on page 4
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/documents/noise-program/2018-Annual-NOISE-MANAGEMENT-REPORT-final.pdf


29 is was used for landings when one of the 30s was closed for repairs. I noticed one day and stopped by the cell phone lot. Got some great pics. I wish it would happen more often. Also got some landings at 6 one day. Another great spot for it. That is even more rare though.


As a kid growing up in Bridgeton in the late 60's/early 70's, landings on 06 were a near daily occurrence for hours at a time. Soon after TW started bringing the 747, was on the school playground when the big beast flew right over my head and landed on 06 about 30 seconds later. Always a treat, understand they just don'the happen too much anymore..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos