Delta28L

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:09 pm

CLT and SMF are in the air as we speak
CLT eta is 736

Acey559

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:38 am

We received our briefing guides for the new ILN ops a day or two ago and I have to say that I’m pretty impressed. I hesitate to post too much on an open forum but since this is the first station to be staffed with Amazon employees, the whole thing seems to have stepped up a notch. I think Amazon has done their homework on how the “other guys” operate and has taken steps to emulate that. I’ll find out for sure in another week how the execution is going, but they seem to really be stepping things up. I’ll be anxious to see it firsthand.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

ILNFlyer

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:03 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Man, time flies! Looking forward to seeing the complexes, although I know they will be ramping up slowly.

Interesting- nothing's showing on FR24 or FlightAware, at least yet.

FlightAware is showing 3 arrivals scheduled

I think the first bird was an ABX flight that actually landed at 743pm.

CALMSP

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:09 pm

Acey559 wrote:
We received our briefing guides for the new ILN ops a day or two ago and I have to say that I’m pretty impressed. I hesitate to post too much on an open forum but since this is the first station to be staffed with Amazon employees, the whole thing seems to have stepped up a notch. I think Amazon has done their homework on how the “other guys” operate and has taken steps to emulate that. I’ll find out for sure in another week how the execution is going, but they seem to really be stepping things up. I’ll be anxious to see it firsthand.

Wasnt RIV first? A former colleague works for Amazon Air said they have their own staff at RIV.

Delta28L

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:41 pm

I’m only seeing SMF as the only arrival this evening around 930EST

CoThG

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:12 am

Crews are talking about a walkout on Prime Day over at APC. How would this affect Amazon's operation? I'm assuming that ATI will NOT participate as they are the only truly loyal to Amazon carrier. If true, this should cement in Amazon's mind that ATI is the only dependable carrier and worthy of becoming the wholly owned Prime Air.

Acey559

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:53 am

CALMSP wrote:
Acey559 wrote:

Wasnt RIV first? A former colleague works for Amazon Air said they have their own staff at RIV.

You may be right. I’ve never flown into RIV so I didn’t realize they’re a “true” Amazon station.

sunking737

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:20 am

Who is APC??
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

wjcandee

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:34 am

sunking737 wrote:
Who is APC??

Airline Pilot Central forum. Very helpful hiring and work life information for pilots about airlines they might want to work at, except for the thousands of posts by unhappy pilots, mostly at ABX Air and, to a lesser extent, Atlas/Southern. What's fun is to look at the FedEx and UPS boards, and watch folks who are paid at the top of the cargo heap bitch about things. There will be people in every workforce who never let themselves be happy.

A walkout would be hands-down illegal, and posting that kind of crap on APC is stupid, because the lawyers for the carriers will attach it as Exhibit A to a request for temporary restraining order. Without it, the carrier would have no evidence to justify such a request. With it, a pre-strike TRO is a possibility; it could be issued before the crews actually walk. ATI has a no-strike clause in its contract; Atlas and ABX do not. ATI has a relatively-current contract that is second only to Kalitta in the ACMI business.

Most likely this is just people blowing off steam. More importantly, I have not seen a single post at APC that actually says that a strike on Prime Day is seriously being considered. At least not recently.
Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

UPS757Pilot

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:41 am

wjcandee wrote:
sunking737 wrote:
Who is APC??
What's fun is to look at the FedEx and UPS boards, and watch folks who are paid at the top of the cargo heap bitch about things. There will be people in every workforce who never let themselves be happy.
Very happy at UPS, we are just always having to fight to defend our contract, constant vigilance.

wjcandee

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:46 am

CoThG wrote:
Crews are talking about a walkout on Prime Day over at APC. How would this affect Amazon's operation? I'm assuming that ATI will NOT participate as they are the only truly loyal to Amazon carrier. If true, this should cement in Amazon's mind that ATI is the only dependable carrier and worthy of becoming the wholly owned Prime Air.

The logic goes like this: if we put pressure on Amazon where it hurts -- reliability -- Amazon will lean on the carriers who they have contracted, telling them to make a deal with the pilots or lose the business. That's why you see ads around Christmas and media stories about how the ABX and Atlas pilots are "tired" and "overworked". Recently, they have stayed away from "underpaid", because people are generally not receptive to bitching from folks who make the kind of money that pilots at those carriers do, even with their "substandard" contracts. Now, they have an argument that the low pay is insufficient to bring aboard people of sufficient quality and experience. The Atlas accident in Houston will be used as an example of that. So that's why this is going on. However, Amazon is a small part of Atlas's business, and a raise would affect the profitability of all its contracts, not just Amazon. Accordingly, Amazon has no more control over Atlas than any other customer does. Amazon did say recently that if the carriers can't provide sufficient reliability, they will consider reallocating aircraft. They have a "termination for convenience" clause on something like 90 days' notice, which as a practical matter they could exercise on a onesie-twosie basis to apply pressure until things are resolved. The Atlas situation is complicated because the union is litigating a lot of process issues with the intent of gaining more leverage in negotiations, despite the fact that the Company is prepared to pay a good deal more money; the union wants more in terms of total pilot cost than they believe the company is willing to pay. (Total pilot cost means: pay, of course, but also work rules, health insurance, pension contribution, etc, the latter two of which are very important to the union.)

I do think that the Houston accident gives the union an avenue -- the military contracts -- to really wrap their carrier around an axle, because there would be a very different situation had that been an Atlas passenger 767 filled with troops. It is simply sheer luck that the crew in question was flying a cargo flight that day, and what happened in the cockpit happened then. The interesting thing is that the union hasn't overtly pursued this avenue, and what I have seen people say is that they don't actually want to cause the carrier the kind of significant long-term damage (and pilot furloughs) that a loss of their military contracts would cause -- evidence that there is a rational process at work despite the "Burn the place down!!" rhetoric.
Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

wjcandee

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:48 am

UPS757Pilot wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
sunking737 wrote:
Who is APC??
What's fun is to look at the FedEx and UPS boards, and watch folks who are paid at the top of the cargo heap bitch about things. There will be people in every workforce who never let themselves be happy.
Very happy at UPS, we are just always having to fight to defend our contract, constant vigilance.

Of course one must make sure that one gets what one is promised. I think you might agree, however, that some of the complaints posted by some people are a little silly. The good news about a contract is that there is a grievance process, and I of course agree that it should be utilized as often and as extensively as is necessary.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:38 pm

CoThG wrote:

European strikes tend to be scheduled ahead and on inconvenient but not 'aimed at the heart' sorts of days - and only for a day or two. Too many US strikes lead to companies going out of business or unions getting busted. There are/may be some institutional or legal reasons for the difference. Anyone have insight?

ps - there are three groups with powerful union rights - police and pilots, and to a lesser degree firemen. And while no longer doctors, the entire medical field is wrapped and rewrapped with federal monopolistic regulation. This is not healthy.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

wjcandee

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:14 pm

And, once again, FWIW, I hadn't noticed the posts to which CoThG refers. When I went back and looked, couldn't find any such recent ones, although I only looked in the Cargo section, where ABX/Atlas discussion is most-concentrated.

sunking737

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:39 pm

Thank for the replies. You do have to watch every move made by the companies. Union or no union
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

BTVB6Flyer

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:58 am

Some new TPA routes I'm seeing:

TPA-ILN (comes in from SMF)
PHX-TPA

wjcandee

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:33 pm

At present, the ILN routes seem to be:

DFW-ILN-PHX (ATI 762)
RFD-ILN-DFW (ATI 762)
SMF-ILN-CLT (ABX 762)
CLT-ILN-SMF (ABX 762)
TPA-ILN-SEA (ATN 763)

The aircraft routes involve more stops than these, so they move about the system until they hit a station from which they depart to ILN and pass through it. They're not just going back and forth through ILN. (The ABX aircraft may or may not turn back to ILN at CLT or SMF, or they may go to another Amazon destination from SMF or CLT.)

So, with different aircraft, we have to-and-from DFW, CLT and SMF. However, we also have from (only) TPA and RFD, and to (only) SEA and PHX.

wjcandee

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:25 am

And tonight...

TPA-ILN-SEA-ANC-PHX on 337AZ.

ANC begins!

wjcandee

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:20 am

And we add another ILN flight tonight (6/30/19): BDL-ILN-? (ABX 762).

And DFW-ILN-PHX seems to have switched from an ATI 762 to an ATI 763 the past two nights.

And it looks like the typical aircraft routing for ANC will be TPA-ILN-SEA-ANC-PHX-TPA.

ALSO, Southern added IAH-RFD-IAH in the past few days. It's not entirely-clear, but it looks like they're having some challenges keeping to a consistent timetable -- to the point that I'm not entirely clear what it is supposed to be. All 3 aircraft (N5113A, N5147A, N5153A) are being used, and the 4th (N5179A) presumably will be moving sometime soon.

wjcandee

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:25 am

wjcandee wrote:

So at least tonight the new route is BDL-ILN-BDL.

Delta28L

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:44 am

ATI-SMF/SEA/DFW/PHX
ABX-BDL/CLT

For tonight’s departures

wjcandee

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:08 am

Yeah that ILN-SMF segment on ATI looks like an ATI flight protecting ABX (note the "4000"-series flight number), possibly due to the 4-hour-late ABX inbound (and maybe an a/c that needs to be looked at). Could be back to 3 and 3 tomorrow. The last two nights, contrary to the initial patterns, the inbound SMF aircraft went back to SMF from ILN, so ATI could also protect the SMF-ILN flight tomorrow with 714AX, and ABX could rotate 740AX back into service on tomorrow's ILN-SMF if the aircraft is working and they have a rested crew (which they can bus to Hooterville off of reserve at CVG if they need to). ATI brought 714AX into ILN on Saturday; don't know if it was there by happenstance (i.e. waiting for scheduled maintenance) or whether they positioned it there as a spare for the ILN operation or even in anticipation of having to cover tonight's flight.

Acey559

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:11 pm

Another bit of info is that the normal ATI hot spare in SMF will transition to become a PHX hot spare sometime soon. Our bids made note of the change but didn’t give an exact date.

EK77WNH

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:23 pm

Which airports in New England do they fly to? I though PVD was/is one, but which others? BDL? I've never seen one in Boston or even in MHT (which is 3rd in New England based on tonnage).
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

Delta28L

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:11 pm

EK77WNH wrote:
Which airports in New England do they fly to? I though PVD was/is one, but which others? BDL? I've never seen one in Boston or even in MHT (which is 3rd in New England based on tonnage).

I think they pulled out of PVD in favor of BDL. Once they get more planes I think we’ll see another destination in the New England area

uconn99

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Delta28L wrote:
EK77WNH wrote:

I think they pulled out of PVD in favor of BDL. Once they get more planes I think we’ll see another destination in the New England area

That's correct, the PVD operation went to BDL.

MO11

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Amazon accepted N855DM on Friday (6/28) and N379AZ on Monday (7/1).

Spacepope

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:18 pm

wjcandee wrote:

And DFW-ILN-PHX seems to have switched from an ATI 762 to an ATI 763 the past two nights.

And it looks like the typical aircraft routing for ANC will be TPA-ILN-SEA-ANC-PHX-TPA.

ALSO, Southern added IAH-RFD-IAH in the past few days. It's not entirely-clear, but it looks like they're having some challenges keeping to a consistent timetable -- to the point that I'm not entirely clear what it is supposed to be. All 3 aircraft (N5113A, N5147A, N5153A) are being used, and the 4th (N5179A) presumably will be moving sometime soon.

So is this new schedule being accomplished by higher utilization, fleet increases or a combination of both? These old 762s don't seem to be leading the leisurely life of freighter conversions of yore.
The last of the famous international playboys

Acey559

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:41 pm

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

So is this new schedule being accomplished by higher utilization, fleet increases or a combination of both? These old 762s don't seem to be leading the leisurely life of freighter conversions of yore.

Both. New aircraft are trickling in but mostly it’s increased utilization. Our layovers have been cut shorter than they have historically been (but still fairly long compared to other airlines I’ve worked for) and many flights are working on two hour turns rather than sitting on the ground for half a day. I’ve noticed many more mid-evening departures than we’ve ever had. I’ll be very interested to see what they do with peak this year.

sunking737

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:45 pm

Any idea yet which carrier will be flying the 737??

wjcandee

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:48 am

sunking737 wrote:
Any idea yet which carrier will be flying the 737??

Southern is flying 3 of them now, and has 2 more coming on their cert that have been delivered and accepted. I think 5 was the number for the first year. Then ten more by 2021.

There are weird rumours floating around about other carriers to fly them, but AAWH (parent of Atlas/Polar/Southern) announced that Southern will be flying all 15. They are leased by Amazon from GECAS.

sunking737

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:03 am

wjcandee thanks for the info. MSP had a afternoon Amazon flight from ONT. caught our spotters by surprise. It had been an early AM arrival. Not sure if its a delay or new time

wjcandee

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:24 am

sunking737 wrote:
wjcandee thanks for the info. MSP had a afternoon Amazon flight from ONT. caught our spotters by surprise. It had been an early AM arrival. Not sure if its a delay or new time

I'm guessing "delay". Sunday and Tuesday, it's departing at 9:22pm. Monday's flight departed at 6:10am on Tuesday. In the weeks before that, it was generally departing 9-10pm-ish.

MO11

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:45 pm

CAM signed for CC-CZT yesterday (7/2).

wjcandee

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:20 pm

MO11 wrote:

Thanks MO11!! Now N304CM. Noticed it went to ILN on 6/28, but didn't focus on it as a possible purchase, given the huge volume of feedstock available to CAM from other sources.

wjcandee

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:39 pm

And FWIW, 740AX, which had flown to BDL for Amazon, had an interesting path back to CVG yesterday..

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N74 ... /KBDL/KMIA

Spacepope

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:12 pm

wjcandee wrote:
And FWIW, 740AX, which had flown to BDL for Amazon, had an interesting path back to CVG yesterday..

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N74 ... /KBDL/KMIA

You know, just because Fedex loves doing sweep flights doesn't mean everyone should do it...
The last of the famous international playboys

MajMattMason

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:30 pm

wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Thanks MO11!! Now N304CM. Noticed it went to ILN on 6/28, but didn't focus on it as a possible purchase, given the huge volume of feedstock available to CAM from other sources.

Three years ago, the lower floors of the “Crystal Palace of the Cornfield” was a buzz about a possible huge tie in with LAN Cargo which never panned out I guess. But with this new arrival, it’s possible that the fruit of those discussions three years ago might be a new deep source for feed stock.

lhpdx

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:07 pm

Out of PDX daily :

MIA-PDX
BWI-PDX
RFD-PDX
CVG-PDX
BDL-PDX...Did I miss any?

wjcandee

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:39 am

Okay, so as of today, July 6, we are up to 8 flights to and from ILN -- and we haven't even added Atlas yet.

The new stations are ONT and BWI, which get an outbound and inbound flight each on ABX.
Recall that BDL out-and-back was added earlier this week to the original 5 routes.

So, for now, the ILN flights are broken down as follows:
5 on ABX. All 762s.
3 on ATI. Two 762s and a 763 (the one that goes TPA-ILN-SEA-ANC-PHX-TPA).

So basically ABX added two flights to the previous list, but one route has changed (which you never know if it's permanent on ABX, because of how they run aircraft).

But for sure the originating stations are:
DFW -- ati
SMF
BDL
ONT
TPA -- ati
BWI
RFD -- ati
CLT

And the destination stations are:

SMF
BWI
ONT
BDL
SEA
DFW
CLT
PHX

So TPA and RFD are origin-only, and SEA and PHX are destination-only.

Later tonight, we will see what the routes are.
Last edited by wjcandee on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

wjcandee

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:51 am

SMF-ILN-BDL (768AX)
BWI-ILN-BWI (744AX)
CLT-ILN-CLT (740AX)
BDL-ILN-SMF (774AX)
ONT-ILN-ONT (752AX)

ATI:
RFD-ILN-PHX (791AX)
DFW-ILN-DFW (761CX)
TPA-ILN-SEA (311AZ in; 389AZ out) 389, new to Amazon but in the ATI fleet for a few months, had been at ILN since Tuesday.

So it looks -- maybe -- like the SMF flights through ILN are to/from BDL now rather than to/from CLT.

1337Delta764

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:02 am

For some unknown reason for the past month packages from PHX6 to DPX3 are no longer bypassing PHX8. I wonder if there is a local shortage of dropoff truck drivers in the area to the Delivery Stations.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Have a grandkid wanting a different experience after a rigorous college year. She is working in distribution center, and enjoying it. Works hard, but not overly. Reports most workers work, but a few slackers.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

mcg

Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Acey559 wrote:
Another bit of info is that the normal ATI hot spare in SMF will transition to become a PHX hot spare sometime soon. Our bids made note of the change but didn’t give an exact date.

Isn't every spare (and everything else) in PHX 'hot'?

yochai

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:02 pm

wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Due into TLV on Sunday 7/14 via tech stop in SNN.

wjcandee

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 pm

yochai wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Thanks, Yochai! Interesting that it's jumping ahead of N153DL, N381AN, and N379AN, all of which were previously-purchased by CAM.

1337Delta764

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:25 am

Just ordered an item from Amazon, and for the first time it is shipping from one of their Las Vegas area fulfillment centers. Shipping last mile by USPS, presorted by the Amazon linehaul network. I think Amazon added this linehaul route to PHX8 to accommodate their one-day shipping. I'm guessing most ground shipments via Amazon's linehaul network will either be from the local fulfillment centers, Las Vegas, or the Inland Empire with one-day shipping. Northern California (Tracy and Sacramento), Fresno, Salt Lake City, Denver (Thornton and Aurora), Dallas/Fort Worth, and San Marcos will likely be replaced by air service (which oddly, Fresno, SLC, and Denver were added in Fall 2018). We already have next-day Amazon Air service from the Portland area.

Also, Amazon Logistics shipments from PHX3 and LGB3 are also now making a stop at PHX8 before arriving at DPX3. I wonder why Amazon is no longer bypassing PHX8 my area for these fulfillment centers.

wjcandee

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:21 am

Thanks, 1337! So interesting!

1337Delta764

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:22 pm

If only Amazon had another fulfillment center in Albuquerque they could save on shipment costs to Phoenix, as well as local shipments for Albuquerque and New Mexico. I know at least for Phoenix, the Tucson fulfillment center is opening later this year.

Going the opposite direction, I know Amazon does some runs from PHX8 to local post offices in the Albuquerque area for USPS last mile delivery. However, I am not sure what the overall transit times are from shipment from a Phoenix area FC to delivery since I never actually placed an order going to Albuquerque. With one-day shipping, Albuquerque will be heavily dependent on UPS Next Day Air services, since no Amazon fulfillment center is within one-day UPS Ground or FedEx Ground/Home Delivery range.

fify

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:20 pm

yochai wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

This is my last year with Bedek, seems to be a very busy one! :D

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos