N212R

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:50 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
frmrCapCadet wrote:
I don’t care what they look like. I just wish they would use a little more common sense / care for delivery placement. My USPS, FedEx, and UPS drivers will place my packages behind my landscaping around my front porch so it’s not visible from the street. The Amazon drivers will place it right in front of my door which is very obvious from the street.

Time is $ to these independent contractors. This isn't service with a smile. This is deliver as many packages in the shortest time possible. Would you expect anything different under the Amazon aegis?

jetmatt777

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:04 pm

N212R wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
frmrCapCadet wrote:
I don’t care what they look like. I just wish they would use a little more common sense / care for delivery placement. My USPS, FedEx, and UPS drivers will place my packages behind my landscaping around my front porch so it’s not visible from the street. The Amazon drivers will place it right in front of my door which is very obvious from the street.

Time is $ to these independent contractors. This isn't service with a smile. This is deliver as many packages in the shortest time possible. Would you expect anything different under the Amazon aegis?

I don’t disagree. But it does take the same amount of time to put the package 3 feet to the left or right of the door so it is out of sight. I’m not expecting them to find and lift up a secret hatch to put the packages in.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

USAirKid

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
N212R wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]

I don’t disagree. But it does take the same amount of time to put the package 3 feet to the left or right of the door so it is out of sight. I’m not expecting them to find and lift up a secret hatch to put the packages in.

I expect Amazon to eventually have a “package not found/stolen” metric for drivers then they’ll start hiding the packages better.

wjcandee

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:41 pm

N354AA has now been renumbered N397AZ and is making a test flight today. Been at ILN for 3 weeks since conversion and paint.

WPvsMW

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:54 pm

USAirKid wrote:
I expect Amazon to eventually have a “package not found/stolen” metric for drivers then they’ll start hiding the packages better.

Over the past several years, my neighbors and I noticed that drivers that had high "mis-delivered/missing Amazon packages" in my neighborhood no longer drove the route... mostly new 5X drivers, but at least one new FX driver. So... there appears to be a direct feedback loop between new drivers and mis-deliveries. In most cases, my AMZ packages were brought to my house days later by neighbors that found them on their doorstep, and I've done the same "last mile deliveries" to my neighbors.

wjcandee

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:10 am

So back to fleet stuff, and this one's a whopper.

There has been talk over the past week or so on APC about rumors among Atlas station managers that "as many as 9 of their best" Amazon-dry-leased 767-300s were going to be operated instead by ATI, pursuant to the termination-for-convenience clause in the Atlas CMI contract; that Amazon is putting its foot down. That didn't seem possible on its face, insofar as ATI will have absorbed 6 additional newly-acquired 767-300 freighters in 2019, so adding another 9 in short order would seem to be setting ATI up to be unable to properly-staff such flying. But it didn't escape me that such a transfer wouldn't necessarily have to happen overnight, that sister-company ABX Air has and/or will have some extra pilot availability once the Aeromex contract is terminated, etc. And I noticed that the regular anti-ABX posts on APC have all-but-disappeared the last week or so -- could ABX be seriously negotiating with its pilots to get its house in order so it could in short order take on some more Amazon flying? (Would 1224, which represents both ABX and Atlas pilots, allow such a thing?) Still...

But then N1049A flew to ILN on Friday night under an Atlas 9xxx flight number, coming in from AFW, to where it also had flown on a 9xxx flight number. I figured that that most likely had something to do with GTI starting to fly out of ILN in the next week or two (and Amazon starting to fly stuff out of AFW in the future), that Atlas crews might want to work with an actual aircraft at the new sort location to make the start up go smoothly. Or it could be a maintenance visit, as AMES at ILN has worked on some Atlas 767 aircraft, although Flightstar at VQQ currently has been doing basically all their 767 work recently. (AMES at ILN has worked on some Atlas-operated aircraft.) Or it could be a visit to ILN for ATI conformity, since that's where ATI does it. But still... Really? It seems beyond-the-beyond even to mention it.

But then there are rumors floating around Kalitta that something "big" and "hush-hush" is happening there very soon. Again, most likely just a coincidence in time, but...

And now tonight, there's a post on APC to the effect that N1049A and N1439A are in conformity to transfer to ATI. 1439 just finished a regular flight to TPA 3 hours ago, so that certainly puts the boot to that rumor if it is considered in its entirety, but 1049A is exactly the frame that has been at ILN, which is where ATI does conformity, for 5 days. You wouldn't see any transfers at the FAA web site, because Amazon is the dry-lessor of the frame and an Atlas subsidiary is still going to be the owner/lessor, it would just be the CMI agreement regarding that frame that would be amended. And given that Amazon can't have a bunch of aircraft out of service simultaneously, it could be that 1049A is the first and 1439A will follow. And only two Amazon-leased aircraft are presently in HMVs -- a 762 at ATI and a 763 at Atlas -- so now would be a logical time to do it. But, still...

Of course, if Amazon is trying to pressure Atlas to get its house in order, starting the process on one frame to show that you are serious, and then scheduling a second to show that you're not bluffing, would be a pretty-good way to make your point.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere, or if 1049A just loads up in a couple of days and moves out on an Amazon ILN mission under a GTI callsign. I think that it is most likely that folks are putting pieces together and coming up with unlikely extrapolations, but we shall see...

sunking737

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:49 am

This would be the time to get the house in order for all the carriers. Peak season is just around the corner.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

Acey559

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:14 am

For what it’s worth, I was talking with a pilot formerly under the AAWW umbrella who stated a similar claim as to many of the Atlas 767s going away. He didn’t mention ATI (or anyone, for that matter) as the receiving carrier, only that they were going away. I spoke to a buddy of mine who is still at ATI and he said they’re hiring full-bore with no letup in sight. This Amazon Air saga is quite the page-turner.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

wjcandee

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:34 am

It also occurs to me that if Atlas really is moving out a large quantity of 767s, there could also be pressure from the FAA, given that it likely already knows almost everything that the NTSB knows about the Houston accident. Atlas could be being "encouraged" to reduce the complexity of its operation -- maybe to focus on International 747 ahead of some of the other types and missions, like domestic 767. That would be extraordinary, but as long as I am in Massive Speculation mode...

It does seem like this rumour about a number of Amazon 767s departing seems to be coming from a number of executive and on-the-ground sources, but how far it goes -- if anywhere -- remains to be seen. I really do think that smoothly adding 10 newly-converted tails in two years at ATI is not a small project, so adding numerous additional tails from Atlas would be remarkable. But it's certainly possible.

Delta28L

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:07 pm

St. Louis twitter page announced that amazon starts cargo flights to STL today. What city is the flight originating from?

Jshank83

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:20 pm

Delta28L wrote:
St. Louis twitter page announced that amazon starts cargo flights to STL today. What city is the flight originating from?

One today, another starts October, chance for a 3rd around the holidays. I am assuming CVG but I haven't heard the location. I also heard they won't be painted in prime air colors supposedly, at least to start.

Jshank83

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:55 pm

Delta28L wrote:

Coming from BWI.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:03 am

Don't forget the Atlanta service that will start today. Guess it didn't merit an announcement from the Atlanta Airport Authority. :-)

BTVB6Flyer

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:13 am

SOO3608 doing PDX-TPA currently

wjcandee

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:20 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
I also heard they won't be painted in prime air colors supposedly, at least to start.

12 of the original 40 aircraft that Amazon Air dry-leased were 767-200s that were already-converted to freighters. 6 at ABX Air and 6 at ATI. Those aircraft are either all-white or bear the livery of the carrier that is operating them for Amazon.

ABX Air is operating the STL service, using a 767-200. The tail that will fly the route tonight, 797AX, is in ABX Air livery. Amazon has recently and quietly awarded ABX some more flying, increasing tempo on the ABX-operated Amazon-leased aircraft, and adding routes using ABX aircraft beyond those that Amazon has dry leased. Tonight's aircraft is a regular ABX Air tail, but there is no outward indication of which ones are Amazon-dry-leased (N744AX, 749, 750, 768, 774, 795).

ABX is also operating an ATL route with a 767-200.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:35 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
SOO3608 doing PDX-TPA currently

Increasing tempo in the SOO 737-800 operation. Connecting the dots between two existing nodes.

Only four of the five 737s that Amazon dry-leased from GECAS, to be operated by SOO, are currently operational. The fifth is inactive. Word is that Southern is having some challenges staffing the operation.

The current stations are PDX, IAH, RFD, TPA.

Tonight's PDX-TPA is the first to connect those two dots directly.

BTVB6Flyer

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:46 am

^^

It looks like the normal RFD-TPA-RFD flight is still scheduled, so I wonder where the inbound PDX flight goes to? The long talked about SJU or back to PDX or a new station.

Delta28L

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:29 am

wjcandee wrote:
Don't forget the Atlanta service that will start today. Guess it didn't merit an announcement from the Atlanta Airport Authority. :-)

Where did the flight originate? STL started today as well with a ABX plane inbound from BWI.

AV8AJET

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:50 am

Delta28L wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Where did the flight originate? STL started today as well with a ABX plane inbound from BWI.

ONT-ATL using an ABX B767-200
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

Jshank83

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:58 am

wjcandee wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
I also heard they won't be painted in prime air colors supposedly, at least to start.

12 of the original 40 aircraft that Amazon Air dry-leased were 767-200s that were already-converted to freighters. 6 at ABX Air and 6 at ATI. Those aircraft are either all-white or bear the livery of the carrier that is operating them for Amazon.

ABX Air is operating the STL service, using a 767-200. The tail that will fly the route tonight, 797AX, is in ABX Air livery. Amazon has recently and quietly awarded ABX some more flying, increasing tempo on the ABX-operated Amazon-leased aircraft, and adding routes using ABX aircraft beyond those that Amazon has dry leased. Tonight's aircraft is a regular ABX Air tail, but there is no outward indication of which ones are Amazon-dry-leased (N744AX, 749, 750, 768, 774, 795).

ABX is also operating an ATL route with a 767-200.

Good info. Thanks!

ATI is supposed to start a daily flight next month also. Will end up being one from each (although I think they are both owned by the same company now aren’t they?)

1337Delta764

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 am

It looks like it is official - Amazon Logistics is coming to Albuquerque (there is a job posting on Amazon's jobs website), one of the last major cities without AMZL service. Currently Albuquerque is mainly served by USPS and UPS (the former mainly from Phoenix and the latter mainly from elsewhere). I think the USPS last mile service from Phoenix is currently One-Day, but that I think is the only One-Day service Albuquerque currently gets. Amazon Logistics service might enable One-Day ground service from Denver and DFW. I wonder if Amazon Air can eventually come to ABQ as well.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:37 am

Jshank83 wrote:

ATI is supposed to start a daily flight next month also. Will end up being one from each (although I think they are both owned by the same company now aren’t they?)

That's good to know, thanks! Yes, ATI and ABX (along with Omni) are owned by ATSG, which also owns the former Airborne maintenance operation at ILN (AMES), the former PEMCO maintenance operation at TPA (which is now a unit of AMES), an aircraft leasing company (Cargo Aircraft Management a/k/a CAM), a ground-services and warehouse-services company (LGSTX), and a few other things. They are basically separate components of what adds up to a full-service airline, but they are operated as separate entities, and the airlines are fiercely-independent.

With the Amazon network growing by at least 10 767-300s in 2019-2020 (several of which are already in service), it will be interesting to see what new cities are served, and by what aircraft. The SOO 737 operation is still finding its footing, but ABX and ATI are blowing and going with the 767s. (And Atlas operates another 20, a few of which are rumored to be soon moved over to ATI, apparently because of Atlas's operational difficulties.) ABX has been drip-drip-drip losing business from its non-Amazon accounts, so it appears that Amazon is picking up some of its slack in pilots and aircraft. ABX generally is a good operator, steeped in the traditions of an express carrier, and ATI seems to be expanding smoothly.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:44 am

So the ABX aircraft that ran ONT-ATL is next going to run ATL-BWI. A fair guess from past experience is that it will then run BWI-ONT, but it could also take a more-circuitous route. Will be fun to see.

The ABX aircraft that ran BWI-STL is next going to run STL-ONT. It is possible, therefore, that the new circle will be ONT-ATL-BWI-STL-ONT, with two aircraft. Or not. My popcorn will be cooking soon...

wjcandee

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:48 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
It looks like it is official - Amazon Logistics is coming to Albuquerque (there is a job posting on Amazon's jobs website), one of the last major cities without AMZL service. Currently Albuquerque is mainly served by USPS and UPS (the former mainly from Phoenix and the latter mainly from elsewhere). I think the USPS last mile service from Phoenix is currently One-Day, but that I think is the only One-Day service Albuquerque currently gets. Amazon Logistics service might enable One-Day ground service from Denver and DFW. I wonder if Amazon Air can eventually come to ABQ as well.

That's very interesting. More AMZL displacing some USPS. Let us know how the mix seems to go...

BTVB6Flyer

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:47 pm

Looks like it's TPA-IAH

So the 737 routes from TPA are TPA-RFD/IAH and PDX/RFD-TPA

1337Delta764

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:10 pm

wjcandee wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

That's very interesting. More AMZL displacing some USPS. Let us know how the mix seems to go...

I don't live in Albuquerque anymore, but I find it interesting that it took Amazon so long to enter the market. The USPS and UPS information is from people from Albuquerque that I have asked on another forum.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:27 pm

wjcandee wrote:
So the ABX aircraft that ran ONT-ATL is next going to run ATL-BWI. A fair guess from past experience is that it will then run BWI-ONT, but it could also take a more-circuitous route. Will be fun to see.

The ABX aircraft that ran BWI-STL is next going to run STL-ONT. It is possible, therefore, that the new circle will be ONT-ATL-BWI-STL-ONT, with two aircraft. Or not. My popcorn will be cooking soon...

Well, turns out the BWI aircraft went nonstop to RIV. So, it could be (because aircraft get swapped and confuse me) that the route is RIV-BWI-STL-ONT-ATL-BWI-RIV, with two aircraft. Which actually makes sense and is consistent with the way other Amazon routes work.

velorouge

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:34 pm

wjcandee

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Again I have to wonder whether CargoFacts got the lead from us here. But it says that they confirmed it with Atlas, so there it is.

Spacepope

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:36 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Again I have to wonder whether CargoFacts got the lead from us here. But it says that they confirmed it with Atlas, so there it is.

Was wondering the same thing.

CargoFacts was also the one to "break" the launch of the 777P2F program a few months ago and then immediately had to retract it as well. I'll wait for independent confirmation here.
The last of the famous international playboys

wjcandee

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 pm

On the new ABX Air STL and ATL flights, it looks like the normal aircraft routing will indeed be ONT-ATL-BWI-RIV-BWI-STL-ONT.

With only a couple of hours between flights for that whole routing, before 12 hours' rest at ONT every second day, it will be interesting to see how these old gals do. My guess is that they're up to it.

wjcandee

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:09 am

N153DL is doing an hour-long test flight around ILN right now (2000h 9/13/19). Perhaps we will see it leave for conversion at TLV soon. IAI was originally expecting it around a week ago, from the information provided by Yochai.

travaz

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:08 am

As someone that is not a pilot or an ops guy, I wonder if the older 767-300, 200 can keep up the pace that Amazon wants to push the frames. It is a lot of flying for some older aircraft. Will there come a time when mechanically things start going South? I find this whole thread really fascinating and have read every post. I learned a heck of a lot. I dont think Fedex or UPS flys any of there aircraft at such a pace.
Thanks Guys!

bravoindia

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:44 am

wjcandee wrote:

So happy they’re starting here. Hopefully it turns into something decent sized.

wjcandee

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:49 am

bravoindia wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Gonna have to be pretty-big to be even noticeable where you are now. (Although I used to notice the couple of DHL aircraft parked nearby when I used to stay at the Renaissance and get a balcony room on the airport side.) A long way from ABE!! Hope you're loving it.
Last edited by wjcandee on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

bravoindia

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:53 am

wjcandee wrote:
bravoindia wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Gonna have to be pretty-big to be even noticeable where you are now. A long way from ABE!! Hope you're loving it.

Definitely loving it and hoping for big things even here. Would really benefit them to move domestic cargo to the south side by international cargo then there would be a lot of room to grow.

wjcandee

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:54 am

BI: One can always hope!! Glad you're loving it!

wjcandee

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:35 am

N153DL now on its way tonight (9/14/19) to SNN/TLV.

CALMSP

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:15 am

bravoindia wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

it will be 3x daily. Second flight will begin in November with the third planned for December.

1337Delta764

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 am

Note that I have noticed a difference in One-Day vs. Same-Day shipments from PHX6 in Phoenix. The One-Day packages make a stop at the PHX8 Sortation Center before arriving at the DPX3 Delivery Station, while the Same-Day packages bypass PHX8. In the past all AMZL shipments from PHX6 bypassed PHX8.

This actually makes me wonder how will the new Delivery Station in Albuquerque operate since there are no Sortation Centers in Albuquerque or New Mexico. Currently USPS packages going to Albuquerque are sorted in PHX8. I would presume Amazon preferably would want the Delivery Station to feed from more than just Phoenix (probably also Denver and DFW).

wjcandee

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:58 am

Just keeping an eye on the broader ABX and ATI fleets, I noticed that N317CM, an ABX/DHL aircraft, turned back to CVG tonight about 90 minutes into its flight to LAX. The thing that made that interesting is that this was its first revenue flight after returning from a 2-month HMV at HAECO at GSO, which has actually performed 6 of the 16 HMVs on the ABX fleet in the last 18 months (other 10 done at ILN). No big conclusions or implications, just something that piqued my interest.

1337Delta764

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:17 pm

Just to let you know, I think I have an idea why Non-Sortable (bulky/irregular) items are often ineligible for Same-Day Delivery. That is because Same-Day Delivery is usually delivered by Flex, and these packages would take up a lot of space in their vehicles, thus Amazon generally prefers to give them to the Delivery Service Partners with their large vans.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:23 pm

So 21Air's 762 N881YV is on its way to LAX tonight after a couple of months in overhaul at Stambaugh at BQK. This is the gang that apparently underbid ABX for the Aeromex contract. We will see how long they are able to sustain it in a reliable fashion, but assuming that it goes forward for now, that should free up some ABX pilots for additional Amazon flying. ABX should be the operation with the most pilot slack right now and it's a good operator with very-experienced pilots, so I anticipate it continuing to get some more Amazon business if not new aircraft.

ctrabs0114

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:18 pm

For what it’s worth, I heard rumors that Amazon’s hub at Fort Worth/Alliance Airport (KAFW) is expected to go live within the next few days. I don’t know how true that is, but that’s what I was hearing...
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

wjcandee

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:09 pm

Nice piece of information! Apparently it's going to be pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the complexes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos