wjcandee

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi, CM. Do you mean 792, which was reregistered to AMES and is definitely a parts plane? I think 794 was reregistered A9C-DHP and exported, last I looked...

But yes, you are otherwise correct, Sir!

Allee

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:41 am

I expect the white ABX 767-300s (219, 226, 317, 362, 363, 364) to receive the DHL livery once the Lease-CMI contract is finalized.

wjcandee

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:52 am

Allee wrote:
I expect the white ABX 767-300s (219, 226, 317, 362, 363, 364) to receive the DHL livery once the Lease-CMI contract is finalized.

Thanks, Al! I wonder how that's going? Don't they have like 9 days to get it done?

cmairplaneman

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:35 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Allee wrote:

Thanks, Al! I wonder how that's going? Don't they have like 9 days to get it done?

Thanks for correcting me. Yes I did mean 792. Also, a UPS 767-300 is scheduled to arrive at Wilmington
Glider Pilot & CVG/ILN Spotter

wjcandee

Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:34 pm

cmairplaneman wrote:
Also, a UPS 767-300 is scheduled to arrive at Wilmington

Interesting. Will be interesting to see what tail it turns out to be. I guess the relationship established by the Peak+ charters extended to some 767 work being done by AMES. They have a nice little operation going there: Patriots 767s, Len Blavatnik's 767, other private 767s, Delta 767s, now UPS 767s.

Explains why AMES and PEMCO have a zillion A&P and other jobs available; paying signing bonuses in TPA. Seems like a good opportunity for some Northeastern folks to move from the snow to the sun, from high-tax Northeast to a low-tax state, and develop an improved quality of life.

wjcandee

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:16 pm

So this morning's UPS flight from SDF-ILN was N334UP, a 17-year-old frame with GE engines and winglets, delivered originally to UPS. Interestingly, it's the last of the original group of 32 767s that UPS bought in the mid-90s. (Actually, it looks like they did a group of 30, then added 2. Then, a group of 27 after an 8-year gap. Then the 3 ex-JAL ones recently, and of course 9 more on the way.)

wjcandee

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:28 am

Looks from the articles like GECAS has already sourced some number of 738 pax aircraft (from the GECAS lease fleet) for use as feedstock for its Amazon conversions, given that the article appears to say that the Amazon order will take about a year to deliver. (Whether that is correct info or not, who knows?) However, those 737-800s probably just went up a notch in value temporarily as manufacturers work through the 738MAX issues. That might be only for a year or so, but still; I'm thinking that some of GECAS's customers who have aircraft coming off lease may wish to extend them for another year or two until the MAX situation becomes clearer.

ottergoose

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Spacepope

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 pm

ottergoose wrote:

Southern just had a 734F position to CVG this past week. Is this for DHL ops or are Amazon testing?
The last of the famous international playboys

wjcandee

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 pm

Spacepope wrote:
ottergoose wrote:

Southern just had a 734F position to CVG this past week. Is this for DHL ops or are Amazon testing?

I think I saw elsewhere weeks ago that they have been doing proving runs on Amazon routes with that 734. Which is why this wasn't a particularly-well-kept "secret". Whether it's true or not, of course, I have no idea, but I think the rumors predated the published photos of the GECAS Amazon 737-800.

CALMSP

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:31 pm

isnt the 734F always in CVG? I saw it operate SLC-CVG the other day.

CRJ200flyer

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:49 pm

CALMSP wrote:
isnt the 734F always in CVG? I saw it operate SLC-CVG the other day.

When I flew from CVG frequently last fall, I’d see the Southern 734F departing in the early morning cargo bank with the DHL logo on the tail (if that’s the type being referred to).

KCVGSpotter

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:21 pm

Spacepope wrote:
ottergoose wrote:

Southern Air operate five daily routes in the DHL network. N305GT, N306GT, N307GT, N309GT and N311GT are freighters operating under CMI. N361GT and N362GT are owned by Atlas and are still in passenger configuration. N362GT has been flying multiple times a week exit CVG. I can only assume these flights are to train for the upcoming influx of aircraft.

MO11

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
ottergoose wrote:

I think I saw elsewhere weeks ago that they have been doing proving runs on Amazon routes with that 734. Which is why this wasn't a particularly-well-kept "secret". Whether it's true or not, of course, I have no idea, but I think the rumors predated the published photos of the GECAS Amazon 737-800.

I couldn't figure out why an airline would need to do "proving runs" with an airp!ane it already operates (B734).

Spacepope

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:26 pm

MO11 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

I couldn't figure out why an airline would need to do "proving runs" with an airp!ane it already operates (B734).

I thing the proving runs were MIA-RFD flights for training using a pax configured 734 though, not a freighter.

KLM747er

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:48 pm

Mayby a little off topic here but speaking about Southern air they just acquired a ex EK Boeing 777F
The aircraft in particular is A6-EFD only 10 years old but probably it is at the end off a lease period at EK.
Source: https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... r/9bW0TQjZ

KLM 747er

wjcandee

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:54 pm

MO11 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Dude, just sayin' what I read. Including that it could be total BS.

UPS757Pilot

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:51 am

wjcandee wrote:
So this morning's UPS flight from SDF-ILN was N334UP, a 17-year-old frame with GE engines and winglets, delivered originally to UPS. Interestingly, it's the last of the original group of 32 767s that UPS bought in the mid-90s. (Actually, it looks like they did a group of 30, then added 2. Then, a group of 27 after an 8-year gap. Then the 3 ex-JAL ones recently, and of course 9 more on the way.)
ILN where the UPS 767s are being modified with the Rockwell-Collins Large Display System (LDS) flightdeck. The 757s getting the same treatment in Abbotsford, BC (YXX).

wjcandee

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:44 am

UPS757Pilot wrote:
ILN where the UPS 767s are being modified with the Rockwell-Collins Large Display System (LDS) flightdeck. The 757s getting the same treatment in Abbotsford, BC (YXX).

Thanks for that info! So cool! ILN has a lot of experience installing the IS&S flat panel display system on 767s and 757s, so cool that they're getting the contract to do the Rockwell Collins LDS on the 767 for UPS. A nice piece of work.

Interesting that UPS chose to send the 757s to Cascade.

KLM747er

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Are these the next cargo conversion's for Amazon?
Boeing 767-304 28039 610 I-AIGJ Airitaly Meridiana cs, ferried 01-02apr19 LDE-MXP-TLV, for freighter conversion ex N769NA.
And Boeing 767-323 27449 564 N389AA Cargo Aircraft Management ferried 01apr19 ROW-MZJ prior freighter conversion.
Anyone can confirm this if it's true?
Source: https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=4

KLM747er

wjcandee

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:19 pm

I'm thinking that the Air Italy one is not going to be going to ATSG/CAM. It might be going to Atlas ultimately, and maybe then for Amazon, although I suspect not, unless it's a replacement for N1217A. It looks at the moment like an atlas subsidiary is going to be running the additional 737s, whereas ATI is going to be running the additional 767s. For the moment at least. I think we know the sourcing of aircraft to be converted for ATI. That second aircraft you mention is possibly going to them. Or it may be one that CAM decides to lease to a third party. The Air Italy bird could be going anywhere. DHL, Kalitta, the Middle East, China, anywhere.

KLM747er

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:46 pm

wjcandee wrote:
I'm thinking that the Air Italy one is not going to be going to ATSG/CAM. It might be going to Atlas ultimately, and maybe then for Amazon, although I suspect not, unless it's a replacement for N1217A. It looks at the moment like an atlas subsidiary is going to be running the additional 737s, whereas ATI is going to be running the additional 767s. For the moment at least. I think we know the sourcing of aircraft to be converted for ATI. That second aircraft you mention is possibly going to them. Or it may be one that CAM decides to lease to a third party. The Air Italy bird could be going anywhere. DHL, Kalitta, the Middle East, China, anywhere.

Thank you for the answer wjcandee! really appreciated it!
So it is still unknow wich aircraft are gonna go to amazon in 2019?

KLM747er

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:46 pm

In what way do we think they will use the 738's? A hub-feed system? Like possible some stationed at various US cities and fly into smaller cities from that main 'hub'? Or supplement current fleet usage/routes and allow the 767's to open up new routes, etc.?

Sub-daily rotations to various smaller cities as well is possible I would think.

SierraPacific

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:46 pm

So when is the point going to be reached when the FAA forces Amazon to take their operations in house? It seems like Amazon is almost to the point that UPS reached before the FAA stepped in and made them create their own airline rather than contract it out.

wjcandee

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:06 pm

SierraPacific wrote:
So when is the point going to be reached when the FAA forces Amazon to take their operations in house? It seems like Amazon is almost to the point that UPS reached before the FAA stepped in and made them create their own airline rather than contract it out.

There are significant differences between the way UPS was doing it and the way Amazon is doing it. Also, UPS Airlines didn't happen just because of the FAA; there was significant interest within UPS in the same time frame to start their own airline, and their experience in owning IPX played into that. Indeed, UPS Airlines uses the IPX certificate and designator (i.e. that's why UPS Airlines is 5X). I'm pretty-confident that the high-level people at Amazon who are involved in Amazon Air are well-aware of the history and have designed things to give them options, but also to operate in a way that keeps certain decisions within the airline and not at Amazon.

MajMattMason

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:49 am

wjcandee wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

There are significant differences between the way UPS was doing it and the way Amazon is doing it. Also, UPS Airlines didn't happen just because of the FAA; there was significant interest within UPS in the same time frame to start their own airline, and their experience in owning IPX played into that. Indeed, UPS Airlines uses the IPX certificate and designator (i.e. that's why UPS Airlines is 5X). I'm pretty-confident that the high-level people at Amazon who are involved in Amazon Air are well-aware of the history and have designed things to give them options, but also to operate in a way that keeps certain decisions within the airline and not at Amazon.

While I believe your premise is correct regarding the differences between AMZ now and UPS then, I have to disagree on your conclusion. I think it is inevitable that at some point, the “vast Fedup lobbying complex” is going to be whispering in congress’s ear, “See how AMZ is operating way to much control? That being the case, they must therefore assume the cost and liability of being an “airline”!! At that point, Congress via the FAA will force the issue.
Just my guess on how this will all shake out in the not so distant future.

N212R

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:35 am

wjcandee wrote:
I'm pretty-confident that the high-level people at Amazon who are involved in Amazon Air are well-aware of the history and have designed things to give them options, but also to operate in a way that keeps certain decisions within the airline and not at Amazon.

I'm pretty confident the high-level Amazonians have it all planned out, right down to the last nickel they will squeeze out of the most economically favorable option. That's the way they fly. Let's hope the powers that be take some of the starch out of Bozos' designed Big Tent business.

USAirKid

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:26 am

SierraPacific wrote:

I've seen this come up a few times. The thing I'm confused about is how is what Amazon is doing any different than what the majors do with their regional airlines? Many of the regional's planes are owned by the major. The major tells the regional what planes to fly. The major tells the regional what schedule they are going to fly their planes on. The major tells the regional what will be painted on the exterior of their airplanes.

Amazon has done exactly what the major airlines have done, only they've put non-self loading freight on the planes.

SierraPacific

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 am

USAirKid wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

I've seen this come up a few times. The thing I'm confused about is how is what Amazon is doing any different than what the majors do with their regional airlines? Many of the regional's planes are owned by the major. The major tells the regional what planes to fly. The major tells the regional what schedule they are going to fly their planes on. The major tells the regional what will be painted on the exterior of their airplanes.

Amazon has done exactly what the major airlines have done, only they've put non-self loading freight on the planes.

I think the difference is that the Big 3 have airline operations under their own AOC while Amazon is exclusively using contract outfits. I think that if Amazon had a fleet owned directly by Amazon then the 737-800's contracted out then it wouldn't be an issue. I would think that the MBA's at Amazon would have done their homework on that though.

Whiplash6

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 am

MajMattMason wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

While I believe your premise is correct regarding the differences between AMZ now and UPS then, I have to disagree on your conclusion. I think it is inevitable that at some point, the “vast Fedup lobbying complex” is going to be whispering in congress’s ear, “See how AMZ is operating way to much control? That being the case, they must therefore assume the cost and liability of being an “airline”!! At that point, Congress via the FAA will force the issue.
Just my guess on how this will all shake out in the not so distant future.

For every 1 dollar the “vast fedup lobbying complex” uses to grease palms with Amazon has another 3 to keep things their way.

wjcandee

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:33 pm

So N750AX, an ABX-operated Amazon-leased 767-200, is coming back from paint tonight from ROW-CVG. Can anybody get a shot of it or at least inform us what livery it is wearing?

Merci!

Delta28L

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 pm

Amazon has begun construction of their CVG hub. Five contractors have been selected

UPS757Pilot

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:01 am

wjcandee wrote:

The Air Italy tail is for UPS dry lease. More are coming...

wjcandee

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:21 am

UPS757Pilot wrote:
The Air Italy tail is for UPS dry lease. More are coming...

Awesome! Thanks! Remarkable that UPS would go to a converted product in a significant way. I guess that (1) their recognition of the excellence of the 767 in this role, plus (2) I guess a good experience with the converted young JAL aircraft, plus (3) longer lead times on new-builds from Boeing and maybe (4) relatively-low prices of the converted product (even if feedstock is getting more expensive) have led to this choice.

This makes ATSG's choice to lock down a feedstock set of 20+ ex-AA aircraft with common features and maintenance look pretty-smart, as does IAI's decision to open an overflow line in MEX.

Amazon's decision to go with ATSG for the next 10 (and maybe more) 767 conversions means that they're satisfied with the IAI/Bedek product, which is less-expensive than the BCF. ATSG/CAM uses IAI exclusively for conversions, so if the product wasn't satisfactory in their view, they likely would have looked for a different lessor, like AAWH/Titan/Andromeda.

wjcandee

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:18 am

Weird article in Forbes today to the effect that "Amazon and Alibaba" have saved the 757. 757. Not 767. 757. https://www.forbes.com/sites/samuelenge ... a387eb5f37

It points to FedEx's conversion of them and the fact that the Chinese express carriers have taken a few. Am I missing something? FedEx has no desire for any more, and I don't see DHL beating down the door for any of them. And yet the article estimates another hundred 757 conversions in the next 5-6 years. I really thought we were moving to the 738 and A321 at this point.

Spacepope

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:00 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Weird article in Forbes today to the effect that "Amazon and Alibaba" have saved the 757. 757. Not 767. 757. https://www.forbes.com/sites/samuelenge ... a387eb5f37

It points to FedEx's conversion of them and the fact that the Chinese express carriers have taken a few. Am I missing something? FedEx has no desire for any more, and I don't see DHL beating down the door for any of them. And yet the article estimates another hundred 757 conversions in the next 5-6 years. I really thought we were moving to the 738 and A321 at this point.

I guess we will see in the future. FX's takeup of used 757 aircraft was huge, no doubt about that. SF has also taken apparently 27, with at least 3 more coming (and probably more after that). DHL is still converting them as well, and is even using them to replace other older conversions. Add Cargojet though and you have about 200 total though, so I highly doubt another 100 in the future. But then again you've seen my other forecasts so....

The problem with the A321 lanch is we're 2 years now since the first metal has supposedly been cut on the Precision program and still nada. Even then once it's done and certified the ramp up will be super slow. I don't see the A321 being a big player in the market till at least 2021-2022. B738 has a much earlier start and now with BCF, the recent AEI cert (and freeing themselves up from converting 734s) and the impending BDSF certification (scheduled for June) it'll start cranking out conversions at a much higher rate by the end of the year.

wjcandee

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Spacepope: Do you think that some of the articles that I read about how the 738 conversions are sufficiently-different in major metrics that ultimately the market will settle on one or two, because to have mixed fleets will be too difficult and resale value will therefore be diminished for the less-popular ones? Has PEMCO missed the boat here on the -800?

Spacepope

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:36 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope: Do you think that some of the articles that I read about how the 738 conversions are sufficiently-different in major metrics that ultimately the market will settle on one or two, because to have mixed fleets will be too difficult and resale value will therefore be diminished for the less-popular ones? Has PEMCO missed the boat here on the -800?

Honestly looking at the NB conversions in the past and what's happening now with the A321 conversions, I don't actually see it as too much of an issue. We have 2 757 conversions where one even relocates the L1 door with a new smaller unit, and they have different pallet positions. The A321 conversions are also vastly different with Precision completely relocating the crew door. As for the 738, I assume major operators (like if FX takes on a fleet) can schedule around differences, but if they take the entire early AA 738 fleet that's scheduled to head out the door soon they may just stick with a single conversion house. Smaller operators may be just fine with mixing fleets, or they may be able to onsie-twosie enough of the same configuration.

We see FX being able to swap 763s or MD-10s on domestic run when an MD-11 goes tech, so I'm sure there's a bit of flexibility to work with.

fify

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi, guys! We are now working on N354AA, this is the next airplane to be finished probably in July. N830WE is still on it's wheels in the hangar. Also B378 N737KT is in conversion.

MO11

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Amazon signed the papers for N851DM on Tuesday, and N843DM yesterday. I'm not sure where N843DM is in the conversion process.

wjcandee

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:42 pm

fify wrote:
Hi, guys! We are now working on N354AA, this is the next airplane to be finished probably in July. N830WE is still on it's wheels in the hangar. Also B378 N737KT is in conversion.

Thanks for the info!

How is 730WE coming along?

Exciting that 737KT is in process! I expect that that line will be a busy one for you in the coming years. Have they picked an airline for it yet?

wjcandee

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:44 pm

MO11 wrote:
Amazon signed the papers for N851DM on Tuesday, and N843DM yesterday. I'm not sure where N843DM is in the conversion process.

Cool! 851DM is in ANC; we'll see where it flies to next. SEA?

fify

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:54 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Exciting that 737KT is in process! I expect that that line will be a busy one for you in the coming years. Have they picked an airline for it yet?

Yes, we are pretty busy right now. I've just arrived back to work after few months of pause. I saw 730 in the hangar, seemed to be finished. Regarding N737KT- still Spectre Air.

rubberdogdo

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Delta28L wrote:
Amazon has begun construction of their CVG hub. Five contractors have been selected

With a 1.5 Billion USD investment in this hub , Amazon will firmly place CVG on the map of global logistics hubs. With parking for approximately 100 aircraft , they still have room for more , even with all the 737's and 767's accounted for. I would venture a guess that the 757 fits neatly between the two , and would not be surprised if Amazon were to order 25-30 757 conversions in the coming months.

wjcandee

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:55 pm

fify wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Yes, we are pretty busy right now. I've just arrived back to work after few months of pause. I saw 730 in the hangar, seemed to be finished. Regarding N737KT- still Spectre Air.

Gotcha. So if 737KT is Spectre, then it's going to SpiceJet for their new cargo subsidiary.

BTVB6Flyer

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:07 am

Amazon continuing to grow in TPA, leasing old UA space. From the way the article writes, sounds possibly indicative of new 738's coming online.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... lines.html

CALMSP

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:47 am

A colleague of mine shared a new station opening up in June. Anyone know? It’s not the new ILN hub.

wjcandee

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:30 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Amazon continuing to grow in TPA, leasing old UA space. From the way the article writes, sounds possibly indicative of new 738's coming online.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... lines.html

Very interesting! They're talking in the article about Atlas Air giving up their 5000 square foot space and wanting to lease a 7500 square foot space in the same building.

7500 square feet is roughly the size of a typical Walgreens, maybe a little smaller than that. The extra 2500-ish square feet is about 1.5 times the size of a typical Subway sandwich shop.

Not sure that this is obviously-indicative of any particular thing, but growth is generally a good thing...

wjcandee

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:00 pm

wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Cool! 851DM is in ANC; we'll see where it flies to next. SEA?

VQQ. Arrived 4/6/19.

KLM747er

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:39 pm

N851DM is now registered a N5147A according skyliners.net
Source: https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=3

KLM747er

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos