wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:54 pm

830WE off to paint at Dean Baldwin at ROW.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4295
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:07 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
Harvestman wrote:

Recently there was a Cargojet bird filling in for one of AeroUnion's on one of DHL's South American routes (can't remember if it was CVG/MEX or CVG/GDL). Wasn't quite sure how that worked.


Was Cargojet flying it outright or was it wet leased capacity as that can sometimes make a difference. Aerounion just recently got a "new" A300F replacement for the old 3-man crew bird that was pretty damaged in a nosegear collapse in MEX


Subservice can indeed make a difference where permitted. However, I heard that Cargojet was actually taking over some ABX runs to South America from CVG. That may well have been an inaccurate rumor, however.


I don’t know the specifics of that one, but in this case it was an Aerounion route and I don’t consider Mexico as part of South America so in this one instance I don’t think it applies.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:16 pm

Did I say that Mexico is in South America?? I don't see that. But anyway, jeez, I thought we were Pals.
 
BTVB6Flyer
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:20 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:18 am

Just posting this because I found it interesting.

Ordered a biology themed clock from Amazon for a teacher's Wishlist...its coming from the Ukraine and will be in Tampa by the end of October...

Will be interesting to see the route it takes and what carriers.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4295
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:25 am

wjcandee wrote:
Did I say that Mexico is in South America?? I don't see that. But anyway, jeez, I thought we were Pals.


Hahah yeah we are good mon ami, the Mexico in South America bit was for another poster further up claiming MEX and GDL are in South America. Reminds me of my family in Jersey claiming any Latino is “Spanish”.

Speaking of old South America flights, any updates on the parked 21 air freighters?
The last of the famous international playboys
 
HPRamper
Posts: 4945
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 4:22 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:50 am

travaz wrote:
There is a Antonov An 124 sitting in Phoenix since August 4. It arrived from ANC. I was told they are waiting on the permission to go to PAE to move the engines.

Don't know if it's the same one, but there is an AN-124 on the cargo ramp at SEA right now. It was fueled but appears to not be leaving until later today.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:28 pm

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Did I say that Mexico is in South America?? I don't see that. But anyway, jeez, I thought we were Pals.


Hahah yeah we are good mon ami, the Mexico in South America bit was for another poster further up claiming MEX and GDL are in South America. Reminds me of my family in Jersey claiming any Latino is “Spanish”.

Speaking of old South America flights, any updates on the parked 21 air freighters?


They're both still at Stambaugh Aviation at BQK, presumably getting some work. There was an article recently about 21Air taking over some Aeromex routes currently being flown by ABX, so maybe that rumor is true.
 
travaz
Posts: 853
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:13 pm

HPRamper wrote:
travaz wrote:
There is a Antonov An 124 sitting in Phoenix since August 4. It arrived from ANC. I was told they are waiting on the permission to go to PAE to move the engines.

Don't know if it's the same one, but there is an AN-124 on the cargo ramp at SEA right now. It was fueled but appears to not be leaving until later today.


The AN-124 at PHX departed to YYZ at 06:30 Local so not the same frame.
 
User avatar
kitplane01
Posts: 1341
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:51 am

CX747 wrote:
I say this with good intentions but whatever is going on with the 737 fleet is a disaster. Maybe somebody can step in but those pay rates and monthly hour guarantees are abysmal. To be honest, what Amazon "wants" is something very few qualified pilots are going to swallow. Hours, pay, work/life schedule on the 737 is horrendous. Just look at the requirements and one can see we are dredging the absolute bottom of the pilot ranks or those that may not have the appropriate "seasoning". Is this Atlas's or Amazon's doing? Either way, in my opinion it won't last long as staffing at those rates/hours/requirements is a full blown seven ring circus. Nobody that can jump on with a regional is going to choose that pay/hour combo.

I at times wonder if the Amazon deal actual works with both ABX/ATI and Atlas guys at similar pay rates.


CoThG wrote:
Teamsters 1224 lost the Atlas arbitration today. Now the fun begins! Just in time for peak season!!! Bezos better tell Purchase to pay up if they expect any wheels to turn for the holidays.


wjcandee wrote:
But Atlas would really have to be shorthanded with pilots or operations people for Amazon to do that. In all cases, what any business wants is for its contractor to just freakin' get the job done as promised.


I was under the same impression as wjcandee. That Amazon is just a vendor buying a service, and just wants the job done. It it not ABX/ATI's job to set pay rates and work conditions? I don't get why Amazon would be a party to those negotiations/decisions.

If Amazon had the ability and wanted to micromanage an airline, I imagine they'd just set up their own airline.
 
User avatar
kitplane01
Posts: 1341
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:57 am

wjcandee wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
Doesn't AMZ have options, e.g., 5X and USPS. Also, the AMZ/FX international contract remains in force.


If you mean re FedEx, they're fine. Candidly, while that's being portrayed as FedEx dumping Amazon, the fact is that they just didn't come to terms on price. FedEx was already the highest-cost option in most cases, and Amazon wasn't willing to pay the price that FedEx wanted, so they parted ways. My understanding, unconfirmed, is that Amazon wanted FedEx to come down in price to get closer to, say UPS, and FedEx wouldn't. If Amazon felt it still needed the FedEx option, it would have been more flexible as to price. Remember that Amazon, like most big shippers, has software which computes the lowest-cost shipment, and determines travel time reliability and other metrics to determine the optimal route for each package it ships. (Like ShipStation, only probably more-sophisticated in terms of metrics used.) FedEx wasn't often the top choice, but it was a useful alternative. Without it, packages will just go to other carriers, who will step up. Options include UPS (and folks like LaserShip and OnTrack) for end-to-end delivery, as well as Amazon organic line-haul with final-mile through the USPS, Amazon local delivery, LaserShip/Ontrack, and others. The air and ground organic line-haul networks are getting pretty-impressive (ground is a little more-developed and should be able to scale-up easily), and the final-mile end is likely adequate for Amazon's needs. There is still more capacity out there than Amazon can use, and it's growing.


I can totally imagine their is some software that for each package determines the best route and vendor. But if that's the case, why drop FedEx?

Suppose FedEx's prices are almost always higher than other vendors. Then the software will almost always chose someone except FedEx, and the few times FedEx is chosen represents less money spent for these few packages. And in an emergency or unusual situation, the software still has the FedEx option.

So why drop FedEx? It must have the best price *sometime*, and in unusual/emergency situations, is still useful.
 
USAirKid
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:29 am

kitplane01 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
Doesn't AMZ have options, e.g., 5X and USPS. Also, the AMZ/FX international contract remains in force.


If you mean re FedEx, they're fine. Candidly, while that's being portrayed as FedEx dumping Amazon, the fact is that they just didn't come to terms on price. FedEx was already the highest-cost option in most cases, and Amazon wasn't willing to pay the price that FedEx wanted, so they parted ways. My understanding, unconfirmed, is that Amazon wanted FedEx to come down in price to get closer to, say UPS, and FedEx wouldn't. If Amazon felt it still needed the FedEx option, it would have been more flexible as to price. Remember that Amazon, like most big shippers, has software which computes the lowest-cost shipment, and determines travel time reliability and other metrics to determine the optimal route for each package it ships. (Like ShipStation, only probably more-sophisticated in terms of metrics used.) FedEx wasn't often the top choice, but it was a useful alternative. Without it, packages will just go to other carriers, who will step up. Options include UPS (and folks like LaserShip and OnTrack) for end-to-end delivery, as well as Amazon organic line-haul with final-mile through the USPS, Amazon local delivery, LaserShip/Ontrack, and others. The air and ground organic line-haul networks are getting pretty-impressive (ground is a little more-developed and should be able to scale-up easily), and the final-mile end is likely adequate for Amazon's needs. There is still more capacity out there than Amazon can use, and it's growing.


I can totally imagine their is some software that for each package determines the best route and vendor. But if that's the case, why drop FedEx?

Suppose FedEx's prices are almost always higher than other vendors. Then the software will almost always chose someone except FedEx, and the few times FedEx is chosen represents less money spent for these few packages. And in an emergency or unusual situation, the software still has the FedEx option.

So why drop FedEx? It must have the best price *sometime*, and in unusual/emergency situations, is still useful.


I don't have any specific knowledge about the FedEx contract, but I do know that in the past for other shipping contracts Amazon must pay to ship a minimum number of packages even if they don't have that many available. I know in the Seattle area a few years ago Amazon would sometimes upgrade shipping for a package to their Same Day product, which was fulfilled by OnTrack at the time. They weren't doing this to be "nice" to the customer, they did it because they were going to pay for the package anyway, so they moved a shipment up to make sure they met the quantity they were contracted for. (I've heard this explanation from an Amazon employee.)

I'm guessing in this case FedEx made sense financially in some cases, but not for all of the packages that Amazon shipped with them, but Amazon shipped some packages with FedEx even though they could get a lower price elsewhere, because Amazon needed to meet the minimum number of packages required. The negotiations were probably an example of negative cost spiral. Amazon wanted to reduce the quantity of packages they were sending via FedEx by say 45%, which caused FedEx to increase the price by 20%, which then caused Amazon to want to reduce the quantity of packages by 65% over the original amount, which caused FedEx to increase the price by 25%, etc, etc, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon maintains the ability to ship via FedEx, but they're probably paying near the retail rate, and have a limit on the number of packages per day they can send via FedEx.
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:34 pm

As far as I know, Amazon wasn't able to negotiate as good as a rate with FedEx as they were with the USPS or UPS. When Amazon wanted to renegotiate the rates, FedEx balked which is why FedEx left.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 pm

N392UP is on the way to CONUS from TLV. Stopped in Shannon on 8/29/19.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:26 pm

N392UP is going to be painted by Dean Baldwin at GUS, where it just arrived today, 8/29/19. That's two new ships off to Dean Baldwin after the single one to Landlocked Aviation, which I guess was a one-off. Landlocked is generally a little-cheaper and a little-faster, but I guess ATSG decided to dance with the one that brung 'em.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:49 pm

N153DL is on the way to ILN tonight from SBD, presumably in preparation for going to TLV for conversion.
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:16 pm

For my shipments to my family in Puerto Rico, while everything was shipping via UPS for the past few months, it now looks like the pendulum has now swung back to USPS but being shipped out earlier. Two of my shipments shipped via Priority Mail and one was via a contracted cargo carrier on MIA-SJU with the last mile delivered by USPS.

Also, I don't seem to be getting International Bridge/ParcelPool, UPS Mail Innovations, or USPS First Class Mail for my shipments to PR anymore. I wonder if these services don't make the cut for Amazon's new Prime delivery standards for AK/HI/PR.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:59 am

wjcandee wrote:
N153DL is on the way to ILN tonight from SBD, presumably in preparation for going to TLV for conversion.


Postponed until 9/5, it seems.
 
User avatar
yochai
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:43 pm

N153DL is expected in TLV on Sunday night via tech stop in SNN.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:48 pm

yochai wrote:
N153DL is expected in TLV on Sunday night via tech stop in SNN.


That's pretty quick. Seems like we usually see about a week in ILN before they come over. Must have been well-prepared in SBD.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:56 pm

So an interesting flight tonight: GTI9537, with N1049A flying AFW to ILN. Came in to AFW from CVG earlier as 9536. So this is a non-revenue Amazon flight. Very interesting!
 
MO11
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:45 pm

CAM signed for I-AIGJ on Friday (N391UP) as well as JA8356 (N327CM).
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:11 pm

MO11 wrote:
CAM signed for I-AIGJ on Friday (N391UP) as well as JA8356 (N327CM).


Thank you! Interesting that 8356 is going to have a CM number, so maybe not going to UPS? I'm trying to figure out how CAM will have 4 frames for UPS by 12/31/19 unless they use two already-converted frames. Other options, I guess, are HL8319, a lease return from Air Incheon, now renumbered N360CM, which is a very-recently-converted frame, and possibly something like 376AN or 363CM, both of which are doing ACMI work for UPS at ATI and ABX, respectively. 376AN is the much-more-recently-converted of the two. Or there is something else up their sleeve that I'm not privy to.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:54 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
Also, I don't seem to be getting International Bridge/ParcelPool, UPS Mail Innovations, or USPS First Class Mail for my shipments to PR anymore. I wonder if these services don't make the cut for Amazon's new Prime delivery standards for AK/HI/PR.


USPS First Class (along with USPS PM and UPS) still used by AMZN for Hawaii.
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:11 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
Also, I don't seem to be getting International Bridge/ParcelPool, UPS Mail Innovations, or USPS First Class Mail for my shipments to PR anymore. I wonder if these services don't make the cut for Amazon's new Prime delivery standards for AK/HI/PR.


USPS First Class (along with USPS PM and UPS) still used by AMZN for Hawaii.


UPS 2nd Day Air or Next Day Air was what was mostly used for the past few months, but has shifted back to USPS Priority Mail and the contracted cargo carriers (the latter if shipped out of Florida). I think UPS is still used if the Priority Shipping option is selected. However, I used to get UPS Mail Innovations at times for some items under 1 pound, but I don't seem to be getting them anymore. UPS-MI went via MCO, so perhaps because Amazon is now doing their own contracting with cargo carriers out of MIA could be why I am not getting UPS-MI anymore.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:51 am

I did just learned something that differentiates the older Sortable fulfillment centers from the newer ones - the newer ones are Amazon Robotics equipped, which use robotic fulfillment instead of traditional conveyors. TUS2 in Tucson will be the first Amazon Robotics Sortable fulfillment center in Arizona; PHX6 uses the older conveyor system. Most of the Sortable centers in the Inland Empire are Amazon Robotics equipped except ONT2 (San Bernardino) and ONT6 (Moreno Valley).
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.
 
User avatar
yochai
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 am

wjcandee wrote:
yochai wrote:
N153DL is expected in TLV on Sunday night via tech stop in SNN.


That's pretty quick. Seems like we usually see about a week in ILN before they come over. Must have been well-prepared in SBD.


Apparently not ready to leave ILN yet...flight delayed, will advise when new slot shows up.
 
User avatar
yochai
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:37 pm

New slot for N153DL into TLV on Wednesday afternoon.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks, Yochai!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:13 pm

Yochai and/or Fify:

Can you tell us what if anything you have seen in the conversion line (or at TLV awaiting that line) besides the following:
N391UP (I-AIGJ);
N1501P;
N304CM (former CC-CZT);
N308CM (formerly CC-CZU);
430CJ
431CJ.

Just trying to make sure I have it right. Also, any word around there what will be going to the line in MEX when they finally finish N276DH, which has been there just over six months now (which is waaay longer than the Mexicana MRO conversions have taken so far)?
 
HPRamper
Posts: 4945
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 4:22 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
Also, I don't seem to be getting International Bridge/ParcelPool, UPS Mail Innovations, or USPS First Class Mail for my shipments to PR anymore. I wonder if these services don't make the cut for Amazon's new Prime delivery standards for AK/HI/PR.


USPS First Class (along with USPS PM and UPS) still used by AMZN for Hawaii.


UPS 2nd Day Air or Next Day Air was what was mostly used for the past few months, but has shifted back to USPS Priority Mail and the contracted cargo carriers (the latter if shipped out of Florida). I think UPS is still used if the Priority Shipping option is selected. However, I used to get UPS Mail Innovations at times for some items under 1 pound, but I don't seem to be getting them anymore. UPS-MI went via MCO, so perhaps because Amazon is now doing their own contracting with cargo carriers out of MIA could be why I am not getting UPS-MI anymore.

This is the funny thing about the whole AMZ/FX situation. FedEx carries something like 75% of PML under the postal contract, so that freight - while pulled away from FX handling - is still physically being carried on FX aircraft in the form of hugely-increased USPS volumes. Which the USPS pays for on a per-case basis if their assigned matrix is blown out.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Interesting. Of course, except for traffic to places like Puerto Rico and Hawaii, Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively as a last mile carrier, with Amazon doing the line haul itself.
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:09 am

wjcandee wrote:
Interesting. Of course, except for traffic to places like Puerto Rico and Hawaii, Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively as a last mile carrier, with Amazon doing the line haul itself.


I think Amazon uses USPS First Class Mail for some non-Prime orders with the lower 48 states, but FCM mostly goes via passenger aircraft.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:14 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Interesting. Of course, except for traffic to places like Puerto Rico and Hawaii, Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively as a last mile carrier, with Amazon doing the line haul itself.


I think Amazon uses USPS First Class Mail for some non-Prime orders with the lower 48 states, but FCM mostly goes via passenger aircraft.


Interesting. Then I stand corrected.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:55 am

HPRamper wrote:
... FedEx carries something like 75% of PML under the postal contract, so that freight - while pulled away from FX handling - is still physically being carried on FX aircraft in the form of hugely-increased USPS volumes. Which the USPS pays for on a per-case basis if their assigned matrix is blown out.


But is the surcharge USPS pays passed through to AMZN? I bet it isn't, and that USPS absorbs it, which makes AMZN clever at USPS' expense.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 am

WPvsMW wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
... FedEx carries something like 75% of PML under the postal contract, so that freight - while pulled away from FX handling - is still physically being carried on FX aircraft in the form of hugely-increased USPS volumes. Which the USPS pays for on a per-case basis if their assigned matrix is blown out.


But is the surcharge USPS pays passed through to AMZN? I bet it isn't, and that USPS absorbs it, which makes AMZN clever at USPS' expense.


Except Amazon isn't using USPS to do air line haul in any part of the lower 48, at least not for Prime. So while this is a very, very smart observation, the reality is that that's not what's happening.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4295
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:20 am

WPvsMW wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
... FedEx carries something like 75% of PML under the postal contract, so that freight - while pulled away from FX handling - is still physically being carried on FX aircraft in the form of hugely-increased USPS volumes. Which the USPS pays for on a per-case basis if their assigned matrix is blown out.


But is the surcharge USPS pays passed through to AMZN? I bet it isn't, and that USPS absorbs it, which makes AMZN clever at USPS' expense.

Which sounds like you don’t actually know and are making claims based on a bias.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3881
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:48 am

wjcandee wrote:
Interesting. Of course, except for traffic to places like Puerto Rico and Hawaii, Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively as a last mile carrier, with Amazon doing the line haul itself.


I live in Colorado springs, but I’d say the majority of my packages are delivered by Amazon logistics. The rest are USPS. None are FedEx or Ups.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
User avatar
yochai
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:02 am

wjcandee wrote:
Yochai and/or Fify:

Can you tell us what if anything you have seen in the conversion line (or at TLV awaiting that line) besides the following:
N391UP (I-AIGJ);
N1501P;
N304CM (former CC-CZT);
N308CM (formerly CC-CZU);
430CJ
431CJ.

Just trying to make sure I have it right. Also, any word around there what will be going to the line in MEX when they finally finish N276DH, which has been there just over six months now (which is waaay longer than the Mexicana MRO conversions have taken so far)?


These are currently all of the 767's being converted at TLV as far as I remember, with 153DL now delayed until Thursday afternoon TLV time.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 am

yochai wrote:
These are currently all of the 767's being converted at TLV as far as I remember, with 153DL now delayed until Thursday afternoon TLV time.


Thank you, our friend!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Interesting. Of course, except for traffic to places like Puerto Rico and Hawaii, Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively as a last mile carrier, with Amazon doing the line haul itself.


I live in Colorado springs, but I’d say the majority of my packages are delivered by Amazon logistics. The rest are USPS. None are FedEx or Ups.


That sounds about what I see here in NYC, and although a consistently-increasing portion is coming by AMZL, USPS still delivers more last-mile to me than anyone else does.

Because I realize my wording may have been susceptible to multiple interpretations, when I said "Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively as a last-mile carrier", I was saying that USPS's primary function for Amazon is to do last-mile deliveries (of packages that Amazon has line-hauled via small contractors that it hires directly). I wasn't intending to say that USPS is exclusively what Amazon uses for final mile, because it isn't, as I think many of us know. For final-mile, Amazon also makes significant use of OnTrack/Lasership, and various types of AMZL delivery, among others.

Jetmatt: I have to ask -- living in Colorado Springs, have you ever met/seen Lt. Joe Kenda (who is of course long-retired)? I do love his show.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 4295
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 pm

wjcandee wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Interesting. Of course, except for traffic to places like Puerto Rico and Hawaii, Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively as a last mile carrier, with Amazon doing the line haul itself.


I live in Colorado springs, but I’d say the majority of my packages are delivered by Amazon logistics. The rest are USPS. None are FedEx or Ups.


That sounds about what I see here in NYC, and although a consistently-increasing portion is coming by AMZL, USPS still delivers more last-mile to me than anyone else does.

Because I realize my wording may have been susceptible to multiple interpretations, when I said "Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively as a last-mile carrier", I was saying that USPS's primary function for Amazon is to do last-mile deliveries (of packages that Amazon has line-hauled via small contractors that it hires directly). I wasn't intending to say that USPS is exclusively what Amazon uses for final mile, because it isn't, as I think many of us know. For final-mile, Amazon also makes significant use of OnTrack/Lasership, and various types of AMZL delivery, among others.

Jetmatt: I have to ask -- living in Colorado Springs, have you ever met/seen Lt. Joe Kenda (who is of course long-retired)? I do love his show.

Quick question especially to Jetmatt: I’m next door in Manitou, and especially on weekends we get Amazon deliveries by dudes in private cars (like, sometimes Honda civics). Are these different operations than the grey vans (which really have only showed up in the past year here)?
The last of the famous international playboys
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3881
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

I live in Colorado springs, but I’d say the majority of my packages are delivered by Amazon logistics. The rest are USPS. None are FedEx or Ups.


That sounds about what I see here in NYC, and although a consistently-increasing portion is coming by AMZL, USPS still delivers more last-mile to me than anyone else does.

Because I realize my wording may have been susceptible to multiple interpretations, when I said "Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively as a last-mile carrier", I was saying that USPS's primary function for Amazon is to do last-mile deliveries (of packages that Amazon has line-hauled via small contractors that it hires directly). I wasn't intending to say that USPS is exclusively what Amazon uses for final mile, because it isn't, as I think many of us know. For final-mile, Amazon also makes significant use of OnTrack/Lasership, and various types of AMZL delivery, among others.

Jetmatt: I have to ask -- living in Colorado Springs, have you ever met/seen Lt. Joe Kenda (who is of course long-retired)? I do love his show.

Quick question especially to Jetmatt: I’m next door in Manitou, and especially on weekends we get Amazon deliveries by dudes in private cars (like, sometimes Honda civics). Are these different operations than the grey vans (which really have only showed up in the past year here)?


I’m not sure; I’m not home 90% of the time when deliveries come. When I am home it seems to be the big grey Amazon van.

Thanks for the clarification wjcandee, I misread the intent of your post. I agree they hardly ever use USPS for any long distance stuff. Even my shipments that are delivered by USPS coming from the Denver warehouse seem to be trucked by amazon to Colorado Springs before being introduced into the USPS system.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
USAirKid
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

I live in Colorado springs, but I’d say the majority of my packages are delivered by Amazon logistics. The rest are USPS. None are FedEx or Ups.


That sounds about what I see here in NYC, and although a consistently-increasing portion is coming by AMZL, USPS still delivers more last-mile to me than anyone else does.

Because I realize my wording may have been susceptible to multiple interpretations, when I said "Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively as a last-mile carrier", I was saying that USPS's primary function for Amazon is to do last-mile deliveries (of packages that Amazon has line-hauled via small contractors that it hires directly). I wasn't intending to say that USPS is exclusively what Amazon uses for final mile, because it isn't, as I think many of us know. For final-mile, Amazon also makes significant use of OnTrack/Lasership, and various types of AMZL delivery, among others.

Jetmatt: I have to ask -- living in Colorado Springs, have you ever met/seen Lt. Joe Kenda (who is of course long-retired)? I do love his show.

Quick question especially to Jetmatt: I’m next door in Manitou, and especially on weekends we get Amazon deliveries by dudes in private cars (like, sometimes Honda civics). Are these different operations than the grey vans (which really have only showed up in the past year here)?


The grey vans (and sometimes white vans, etc) are part of Amazon's delivery. They're contracted through small companies (1 to 25 vans) but they only deliver Amazon packages all day, every day. Those small companies only deliver Amazon packages, this is essentially the same model FedEx Ground uses. The Honda Civics, etc, are part of Amazon Flex, which is gig economy type work. Those cars might be doing some other work on other days.

This article has some information and background on how Amazon has evolved their last mile network:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/us/a ... dents.html
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Posts: 5671
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:55 pm

I actually rarely seem to get OnTrac anymore. It is mostly Amazon Logistics with some USPS and UPS.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7863
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:55 pm

N830WE (to be N419AZ) is coming home to ILN today from paint in ROW. (9/10/19)

N354AA (to be N397AZ) has been at ILN post-paint for conformity since 8/19/19, so it ought to be going into service soonish.

And, FWIW, ATSG currently has two ABX 767-200s in HMVs at HAECO Americas (formerly TIMCO) at GSO. In the past 15 months, they have run six (including these two) ABX 767s through HAECO for HMVs. None of the ATI aircraft have visited HAECO, but all their 757s and at least one 767 has been through ATSG's "new" AMES shop in TPA (formerly PEMCO). It is interesting that given all the contract maintenance that AMES is doing (including for Delta, the Patriots, Len Blavatnik, and all the 767 lease customers like Star Air, Amerijet and such), that they are sending some (about 25 percent) of the ABX aircraft out to HAECO. I'm assuming that, like Delta TechOps, they balance in-and-out-of-house work depending on availability, what they're being paid for the work, etc. But I guess it is an indication that the new hangar at ILN (and the whole AMES operation) is busy.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 3077
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Anonymous vans doing commercial work need to be regulated, particularly when operating on a large scale. Amazon is probably big enough to carry its own insurance for any delivery system it uses. Just fold the cost of insurance into the contract. But of course that would entail a few other things. Drivers need to be trained, given enough time to get the job done. Routes need to be designed to prevent accidents (design to avoid most left turns). I don't like getting packages delivered by anonymous people. Some of them have been pretty scruffy.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
ChrisNH38
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Up here in the New Hampshire region, we have two upcoming Amazon facilities...one in Andover (MA) and the second in Hooksett (NH). Both are probably 20 minutes from MHT, which would seem to make a good airport for them to fly to.
Next Trip >> BOS-NRT-BOS on JAL 787-9
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3881
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:01 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
frmrCapCadet wrote:
Anonymous vans doing commercial work need to be regulated, particularly when operating on a large scale. Amazon is probably big enough to carry its own insurance for any delivery system it uses. Just fold the cost of insurance into the contract. But of course that would entail a few other things. Drivers need to be trained, given enough time to get the job done. Routes need to be designed to prevent accidents (design to avoid most left turns). I don't like getting packages delivered by anonymous people. Some of them have been pretty scruffy.


I don’t care what they look like. I just wish they would use a little more common sense / care for delivery placement. My USPS, FedEx, and UPS drivers will place my packages behind my landscaping around my front porch so it’s not visible from the street. The Amazon drivers will place it right in front of my door which is very obvious from the street.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 3077
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:25 pm

scruffy - in the cases I've noticed not merely appearance. LOL
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
N212R
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:18 pm

Re: Amazon Fleet Discussion - 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:40 pm

kitplane01 wrote:
If Amazon had the ability and wanted to micromanage an airline, I imagine they'd just set up their own airline.


With billions in the bank, Amazon has the ability to do what they please including setting up their own airline. What they want is the most desirable concatenation of circumstances amongst those carrying their freight to allow for maximum profit. It's always the bottom line for Bezos!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos