• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3542
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:03 am

Please continue from last year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382393
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:15 am

My 2019 RDU prediction
- 1 new airline
- 3 new destinations
- Start of Vision 2040 (parking)
- LHR shift to 787
Aiming High and going far..
 
hockyluv21
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 am

My personal predictions:

Daily SAN (AS)
3-4 new F9 destinations
Possibly an AA/BA switch on the LHR flight
DL/AA switch on the PIT route
Daily MSY from WN
 
F27500
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:12 am

RDU needs its own whole thread??
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:54 am

F27500 wrote:
RDU needs its own whole thread??

It had one last year.
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:55 am

hockyluv21 wrote:
My personal predictions:

Daily SAN (AS)

I'd like to see PDX-RDU, but SAN-RDU is probably more realistic.

SAN seems to have a better transcon market then PDX does.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 am

I’d like to see 1x PDX on a 73G, 1x 73H on SAN, and a 2nd SEA 739.. on AS
Aiming High and going far..
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:30 am

ERJ170 wrote:
I’d like to see 1x PDX on a 73G, 1x 73H on SAN, and a 2nd SEA 739.. on AS


If you’re being that specific a 73J on SEA. We don’t typically use the -700s on transcons unless they are being swapped out and going to GSO for maintenance. We keep them on the West Coast and in Alaska typically. The E175 isn’t proven in the extreme environments of Alaska yet, so they aren’t used there. We used -700s to replace the -400s and Combis.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:02 pm

Honestly, I’m just happy for new service. What is also like to see, slightly off topic.. is anyone do EWN-DCA... anyone, please
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4062
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:20 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
My 2019 RDU prediction
- 1 new airline
- 3 new destinations
- Start of Vision 2040 (parking)
- LHR shift to 787


Looks like you are already 1 for 1, the new airline will be Via Air
https://www.flyviaair.com/route-map
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Wow!! That’s cool..
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:05 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Looks like you are already 1 for 1, the new airline will be Via Air
https://www.flyviaair.com/route-map



RDU-BHM? That's...random.

That's assuming, of course, that Via is still around to start it.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:10 pm

RDU-BHM is not an uncommon route.. places I also see from their route map they can do is MEM, CAE, and Tallahassee...
Aiming High and going far..
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:55 pm

MEM is possible now. Via has been doing a lot better out of AUS for the holidays. I’ve seen significantly less cancellations in the last couple of weeks.

Didn’t ExpressJet try BHM as a standalone carrier?
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Yes... and JAX
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:36 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
RDU-BHM is not an uncommon route.


Are you serious? Please explain and show your work.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Well.. AA had it.. Independence had it... Expressjet has it.. Midway had it... that’s a good amount of carriers..
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:57 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Well.. AA had it.. Independence had it... Expressjet has it.. Midway had it... that’s a good amount of carriers..


Two of the four were hub and spoke carriers at RDU. And I don't think Independence Air ever served BHM from either IAD or RDU.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:38 pm

Corrected. Not Independence air. But I don’t need understand the problem. It’s been served at least by 3 airlines.. so it’s not unheard of or a rarity. It will be okay. I would actually rather hear others predictions than start 2019 with senseless and useless argument which serves no purpose other than trying to make someone look incompetent.
Aiming High and going far..
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:47 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
RDU-BHM is not an uncommon route.. places I also see from their route map they can do is MEM, CAE, and Tallahassee...

It will be interesting to see how it fares. Also I’m curious to see what the frequency will be. It does not appear the schedules have actually been loaded. Most of their routes hover in the 2-4 times weekly area. I agree that RDU-MEM would have to be on the short list of future routes. I’m still surprised DL has not started that but I digress
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:00 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Corrected. Not Independence air. But I don’t need understand the problem. It’s been served at least by 3 airlines.. so it’s not unheard of or a rarity. It will be okay. I would actually rather hear others predictions than start 2019 with senseless and useless argument which serves no purpose other than trying to make someone look incompetent.


I just think it's an absurd route. Don't take it personally.
 
GSP psgr
Posts: 657
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 7:09 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:01 pm

As far as possible Delta Connection adds how do Pittsburgh, Memphis, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, or San Antonio grab you guys?
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:13 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
As far as possible Delta Connection adds how do Pittsburgh, Memphis, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, or San Antonio grab you guys?


I wish I could predict Delta’s moves, but it looks like the shift has gone away from RDU and appear to be showing up BOS now.. SEA getting a little love.. ATL, not so much.. DTW getting more than I would have guessed or done.. MSP getting some.. SLC is on a roll.. but no idea what future RDU plans could entail.. maybe they need more gate space or just upgrading.. surprises the A220 isn’t being used more prominently at the focus cities with mainline more prominent at the hubs.. but, what do I know...
Aiming High and going far..
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:22 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
Corrected. Not Independence air. But I don’t need understand the problem. It’s been served at least by 3 airlines.. so it’s not unheard of or a rarity. It will be okay. I would actually rather hear others predictions than start 2019 with senseless and useless argument which serves no purpose other than trying to make someone look incompetent.


I just think it's an absurd route. Don't take it personally.


It’s really not absurd. Especially on a 50 seater and not daily.

Don’t forget Belk, PNC, and BioCryst all have headquarters or regional offices in both locations.

A lot of F9’s adds are significantly more absurd.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
Cebo29
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:11 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:26 pm

GSE for CS1 (A220) is already in RDU
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:17 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:

It’s really not absurd. Especially on a 50 seater and not daily.

Don’t forget Belk, PNC, and BioCryst all have headquarters or regional offices in both locations.



Good luck to 'em. I just doubt there will be substantial business travel on such an unreliable, less-than-daily service.
 
CanesFan
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:54 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Well.. AA had it.. Independence had it... Expressjet has it.. Midway had it... that’s a good amount of carriers..


I don’t believe AA ever operated RDU-BHM
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 pm

CanesFan wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
Well.. AA had it.. Independence had it... Expressjet has it.. Midway had it... that’s a good amount of carriers..


I don’t believe AA ever operated RDU-BHM


They did in their hub days. Just looked it up in an old timetable I have.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
LovePrunesAnet
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:00 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Corrected. Not Independence air. But I don’t need understand the problem. It’s been served at least by 3 airlines.. so it’s not unheard of or a rarity. It will be okay. I would actually rather hear others predictions than start 2019 with senseless and useless argument which serves no purpose other than trying to make someone look incompetent.


AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
RDU-BHM is not an uncommon route.


Are you serious? Please explain and show your work.


yeah the "show your work" bit is a little, um... cranky/passive aggressive? definitely antagonistic and unnecessary. Happy freaking 2019 though.

I was going to point out only that the fact they route was no longer in existence till via air took it up might indicate it wasn't sustainable. But these airlines like Frontier picking random city pairs, especially involving RDU, seem to be working in general. Especially so *if* Delta has hit the pause button.

As far as Memphis goes, I really see that WAY WAY down the list (or not even ON the list) of needing nonstops from RDU. I frankly think MEM can have everyone on all airlines connect thru hub-only flights as MEM is a shell of it's former self, but this is an RDU topic, not one for MEM.

F27500 wrote:
RDU needs its own whole thread??

For the poster wondering why RDU has it's own thread, it goes back 4 years : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=607831
I guess the practice here on this forum is every single topic gets a new thread on Jan 1. Kinda unnecessary IMO
 
CanesFan
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:43 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
They did in their hub days. Just looked it up in an old timetable I have.


What year? Departedflights doesn't even show it.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:44 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:

yeah the "show your work" bit is a little, um... cranky/passive aggressive? definitely antagonistic and unnecessary. Happy freaking 2019 though.

I was going to point out only that the fact they route was no longer in existence till via air took it up might indicate it wasn't sustainable. But these airlines like Frontier picking random city pairs, especially involving RDU, seem to be working in general. Especially so *if* Delta has hit the pause button.

As far as Memphis goes, I really see that WAY WAY down the list (or not even ON the list) of needing nonstops from RDU. I frankly think MEM can have everyone on all airlines connect thru hub-only flights as MEM is a shell of it's former self, but this is an RDU topic, not one for MEM.



And a Happy New Year's to you, too. My apologies to anyone I have offended.

IIRC, RDU-MEM was one of the last drops by DL Connection from the MEM hub. I don't know how much that means now, though.
 
F27500
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:44 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
RDU-BHM is not an uncommon route.


Are you serious? Please explain and show your work.


Hahahaha... "Explain and show your work" .. who says that ?!!
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:45 am

F27500 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
RDU-BHM is not an uncommon route.


Are you serious? Please explain and show your work.


Hahahaha... "Explain and show your work" .. who says that ?!!


I did. I literally wanted to know what was meant by that. No big deal.
Last edited by AVLAirlineFreq on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:48 am

So... now that it’s all settled... any other predictions?
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:56 am

ERJ170 wrote:
So... now that it’s all settled... any other predictions?


* DL's domestic growth at RDU will continue to be sluggish as it awaits more deliveries of A220s.
* WN will add two new daily markets, one of which will be MSY.
* G4 will add FLL.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5068
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:30 am

hockyluv21 wrote:
My personal predictions:
Daily SAN (AS)
3-4 new F9 destinations
Possibly an AA/BA switch on the LHR flight
DL/AA switch on the PIT route
Daily MSY from WN

Happy New Year to all! Boy, you folks jump right into it in a hurry! Look at all these posts on the 1st day of the year. (I wish we had this kind of participation on the SAN-thread...)

Anyway, I sure hope you're right with your first prediction. I don't even know if F9 still serves the route -- I can never keep track of their here-not here flights -- but regardless, the market needs a real airline with real service. I agree with your choice of carrier also but it's a bit hard to tell what AS might start this year. WN is already on a rampage in 2019 at SAN (apparently due to picking up several new gates) so in addition to the surprise add of SAN-ORF, I wouldn't put it past them to jump at SAN-RDU as well...

Anyway, fingers crossed.

FA9295 wrote:
I'd like to see PDX-RDU, but SAN-RDU is probably more realistic.
SAN seems to have a better transcon market then PDX does.

I will say that for the first 2 quarters of 2018, the DOT (Table 6) shows PDX-RDU at 85PDEW and SAN-RDU is at 144 PDEW; SAN has (minimal) service while PDX has none.
This is of course not the only factor taken into account when cx select new routes but it does show important data.

bb
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:35 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
So... now that it’s all settled... any other predictions?


* DL's domestic growth at RDU will continue to be sluggish as it awaits more deliveries of A220s.
* WN will add two new daily markets, one of which will be MSY.
* G4 will add FLL.


If G4 adds FLL we can probably kiss any chance of getting NK goodbye. Most of their main markets will be very well served. B6 hasn’t been great at keeping up with demand on this route.

With fuel prices dropping, it might help get someone to experiment with a west coast flight. AS is capping their growth in 2019, but an additional flight would help move planes into GSO for maintenance. F9 needs to fly all of their new planes somewhere. Not sure what fleet flexibility WN has.

CanesFan wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
They did in their hub days. Just looked it up in an old timetable I have.


What year? Departedflights doesn't even show it.


1992 timetable.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
CanesFan
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:50 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
1992 timetable.


Learn something new every day :) Thank you.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:35 am

Does anyone know the order for Vision 3040 to be completed?
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:13 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
If G4 adds FLL we can probably kiss any chance of getting NK goodbye. Most of their main markets will be very well served. B6 hasn’t been great at keeping up with demand on this route.


I can still see NK adding RDU. I don't keep up with them as much as I do G4, so I don't know what their pilot and equipment situation is at the current time, so I didn't predict their entry into the market. It may also depend on whether NK sees that they and G4 can both be successful in GSO and/or AVL. Those markets are obviously different in their own ways from RDU, but they may also serve as something of a litmus test of whether both airlines can co-exist on RDU-Florida ULCC routes.
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:38 am

SANFan wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
I'd like to see PDX-RDU, but SAN-RDU is probably more realistic.
SAN seems to have a better transcon market then PDX does.

I will say that for the first 2 quarters of 2018, the DOT (Table 6) shows PDX-RDU at 85PDEW and SAN-RDU is at 144 PDEW; SAN has (minimal) service while PDX has none.
This is of course not the only factor taken into account when cx select new routes but it does show important data.

bb

An Alaska Boeing 737-800 has 159 seats. So 144/159 is roughly a 91% load factor. Obviously 144 is just an average, but SAN-RDU could probably work for them.

On a separate note, RDU has really been pushing for PDX service, so with a financial subsidy, it might be able to happen.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5859
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 am

What’s the likelihood of a BDA or NAS flight? Even if only seasonally? If CUN can be run, why can’t these 2?
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:23 pm

Does Envoy handle the ramp for AA at RDU?
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
CanesFan
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:56 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
What’s the likelihood of a BDA or NAS flight? Even if only seasonally? If CUN can be run, why can’t these 2?


CUN and BDA are entirely different types of markets. CUN has more to offer and is relatively cheap, so the appeal is more widespread. BDA, on the other hand, is the most expensive country in the world, and with its more limited offerings, tends to be more exclusive. RDU used to have nonstop service to BDA back in the hub days when nearly all of the traffic was connecting.
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:28 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Does Envoy handle the ramp for AA at RDU?


Yes.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
Rafale9312
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:29 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Does anyone know the order for Vision 3040 to be completed?


The new runway is the first and highest priority line item to be completed in the 2040 plan from what I remember. Purely guessing from here, but I believe the next priority after that is improvements made to parking by expanding the Economy Lot 3 substantially then constructing the consolidated rental and transportation center. Terminal expansion will probably follow that, but a lot of what the Vision 2040 plan entails will come as funds become available, and will not necessarily be in place by 2040. For those who want to know some of the specifics of the plan, they can be found at https://vision2040.rdu.com. There should be a document on there outlining a rough timeline of what should be completed in order according the priorities set by the airport.

I'm very excited to see what 2019 has in store for RDU!
 
devron
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:27 pm

I predict a direct flight to frankfurt with lufthansa. Oh no that is just wishfull thinking.

Seriously is there any change of another europe flight?
 
CanesFan
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:13 pm

My bold predictions:

Growth will tend to be more about up gauging aircraft as opposed to increasing flights.
Some less-than-daily flights will move towards daily.
One or two of Allegiant and/or Frontier's routes will be picked up by one or more of the legacy carriers.
Allegiant and/or Frontier will reshuffle their routes somewhat out of RDU.
ViaAir will come and go little fanfare.
If there is any international growth, I would look towards adding a Caribbean destination such as PLS or GCM.
 
RDUDDJI
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:42 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:35 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Does Envoy handle the ramp for AA at RDU?


Yes.


Not entirely true. AA does the ramp for most (all?) mainline flights now. I have some friends who work on the ramp for AA and some who work for Envoy. The way my AA friend described it, it sounds like pmUS became the AA ramp because pmAA had already been outsourced to Envoy. And as of a few months ago, AA was still hiring for the ramp.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them
 
RDUDDJI
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:42 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:42 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
RDU-BHM? That's...random.



Random for you perhaps, but would be great for me since I go to BHM about once a month for work. :)
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos