• 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 10
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:03 pm

Pavanc wrote:
T2 International Gates are where they are because of aircraft size. A 767 of 777 is too long for any gate locaton except the ends of the Terminal. There is not enough apron depth to fit a large widebody aircraft between the building and the taxiway object free area. T2 expansion as shown in the Vision2040 plan cannot begin until the runway is relocated. The new runway will not be operational for at least 6 to 8 years. Then you have to build the expansion, that is another 2 years. Short of a miracle, nothing is happening to T2 for a while.

T1 cannot accommodate any new airlines until a second baggage system is installed. The only baggage system in T1 is owned and operated by Southwest. Even after a second baggage system is installed, there are limited gate options. Gate A9 is really only good for an RJ size aircraft (Via Air). Gates A1, A2, A3 are jammed together with the seating equivalent of one gate. If Frontier only needs 2 gates, T1 should be able to accommodate. Until the T1 gate expansion is complete (probably 3-4 years) there is limited room to accommodate shifting operations from T2.


Hopefully they will consider future expansion with the upcoming expansion. Think up to 80 gates instead of 60. Think 12 international gates that can accept 747 instead of 3... doesn’t necessarily mean build up to 80 but plan up to 80 so that if you need to add more gates, one can just pull the trigger instead of having to rethink configuration... uuuggghhhh
Aiming High and going far..
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:47 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Pavanc wrote:
T2 International Gates are where they are because of aircraft size. A 767 of 777 is too long for any gate locaton except the ends of the Terminal. There is not enough apron depth to fit a large widebody aircraft between the building and the taxiway object free area. T2 expansion as shown in the Vision2040 plan cannot begin until the runway is relocated. The new runway will not be operational for at least 6 to 8 years. Then you have to build the expansion, that is another 2 years. Short of a miracle, nothing is happening to T2 for a while.

T1 cannot accommodate any new airlines until a second baggage system is installed. The only baggage system in T1 is owned and operated by Southwest. Even after a second baggage system is installed, there are limited gate options. Gate A9 is really only good for an RJ size aircraft (Via Air). Gates A1, A2, A3 are jammed together with the seating equivalent of one gate. If Frontier only needs 2 gates, T1 should be able to accommodate. Until the T1 gate expansion is complete (probably 3-4 years) there is limited room to accommodate shifting operations from T2.


Hopefully they will consider future expansion with the upcoming expansion. Think up to 80 gates instead of 60. Think 12 international gates that can accept 747 instead of 3... doesn’t necessarily mean build up to 80 but plan up to 80 so that if you need to add more gates, one can just pull the trigger instead of having to rethink configuration... uuuggghhhh

12 international gates that can accommodate a 747 is overkill. A 747 shouldn’t be the standard for size anymore either. 6-9 international capable gates with four of those being able to accommodate up to a 777X is more realistic. Saturday Cancún traffic and diversion heavy days wouldn’t be a problem then.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:44 pm

It may seem overkill for now but no one knows what things will look like in 2040... I’d rather overkill and use those gates interchangeably thank Undershoot again and be missing opportunities
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 8524
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:35 am

If they need too, and I think Frontier wants it as well, they should just use the old Tarmac gate areas and set up temporary bus routes out of the gates in Terminal 1 for Spirit and Frontier.
Then passengers can utilize the front and back loading scheme. I had to do this in FCO and CDG to get onto planes. It would work here as well.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
LovePrunesAnet
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:51 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Pavanc wrote:
T2 International Gates are where they are because of aircraft size. A 767 of 777 is too long for any gate locaton except the ends of the Terminal. There is not enough apron depth to fit a large widebody aircraft between the building and the taxiway object free area. T2 expansion as shown in the Vision2040 plan cannot begin until the runway is relocated. The new runway will not be operational for at least 6 to 8 years. Then you have to build the expansion, that is another 2 years. Short of a miracle, nothing is happening to T2 for a while.

T1 cannot accommodate any new airlines until a second baggage system is installed. The only baggage system in T1 is owned and operated by Southwest. Even after a second baggage system is installed, there are limited gate options. Gate A9 is really only good for an RJ size aircraft (Via Air). Gates A1, A2, A3 are jammed together with the seating equivalent of one gate. If Frontier only needs 2 gates, T1 should be able to accommodate. Until the T1 gate expansion is complete (probably 3-4 years) there is limited room to accommodate shifting operations from T2.


Hopefully they will consider future expansion with the upcoming expansion. Think up to 80 gates instead of 60. Think 12 international gates that can accept 747 instead of 3... doesn’t necessarily mean build up to 80 but plan up to 80 so that if you need to add more gates, one can just pull the trigger instead of having to rethink configuration... uuuggghhhh



12 747s at RDU? Rofl
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
Pavanc wrote:
T2 International Gates are where they are because of aircraft size. A 767 of 777 is too long for any gate locaton except the ends of the Terminal. There is not enough apron depth to fit a large widebody aircraft between the building and the taxiway object free area. T2 expansion as shown in the Vision2040 plan cannot begin until the runway is relocated. The new runway will not be operational for at least 6 to 8 years. Then you have to build the expansion, that is another 2 years. Short of a miracle, nothing is happening to T2 for a while.

T1 cannot accommodate any new airlines until a second baggage system is installed. The only baggage system in T1 is owned and operated by Southwest. Even after a second baggage system is installed, there are limited gate options. Gate A9 is really only good for an RJ size aircraft (Via Air). Gates A1, A2, A3 are jammed together with the seating equivalent of one gate. If Frontier only needs 2 gates, T1 should be able to accommodate. Until the T1 gate expansion is complete (probably 3-4 years) there is limited room to accommodate shifting operations from T2.


Hopefully they will consider future expansion with the upcoming expansion. Think up to 80 gates instead of 60. Think 12 international gates that can accept 747 instead of 3... doesn’t necessarily mean build up to 80 but plan up to 80 so that if you need to add more gates, one can just pull the trigger instead of having to rethink configuration... uuuggghhhh



12 747s at RDU? Rofl


*Rolls eyes* Nonone said there would be 12 747s at RDU, what I was saying is gates that can handle 12 large wide bodies is a good investment towards the future. Good grief...
Aiming High and going far..
 
LovePrunesAnet
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:02 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

Hopefully they will consider future expansion with the upcoming expansion. Think up to 80 gates instead of 60. Think 12 international gates that can accept 747 instead of 3... doesn’t necessarily mean build up to 80 but plan up to 80 so that if you need to add more gates, one can just pull the trigger instead of having to rethink configuration... uuuggghhhh



12 747s at RDU? Rofl


*Rolls eyes* Nonone said there would be 12 747s at RDU, what I was saying is gates that can handle 12 large wide bodies is a good investment towards the future. Good grief...


Absolutely zero need fo anyone to plan for 12 747s capable of being at RDU at the same time, same month, or even during the same year. Good grief indeed
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:19 pm

Then we disagree.. I’m thinking the future.. you’re seeing the present. Discussion concluded
Aiming High and going far..
 
Fargo
Posts: 792
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:59 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Then we disagree.. I’m thinking the future.. you’re seeing the present. Discussion concluded


That particular user is pretty notorious for that.

That said, 747's and A380's are on their way out, gates will only need to accommodate up to the B777x/A350 max.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:23 am

Fargo wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
Then we disagree.. I’m thinking the future.. you’re seeing the present. Discussion concluded


That particular user is pretty notorious for that.

That said, 747's and A380's are on their way out, gates will only need to accommodate up to the B777x/A350 max.


The 777 gates at RDU are 747 capable.. so that’s why o said 747... plus we don’t know what is coming in 2030 so I like to think RDU will keep option open.. in case SpaceX needs a gate for interstellular traffic departing from RDU.. *wink*
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 8524
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:03 pm

From my looks at the website it appears Terminal 2 has the following gates open

C8,,C12,C14,C24, and D16

Are these all common use gates? I assume 24 is as that is where Delta parks the 767 to Paris.

Which one will spirit use? D16?
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
tphuang
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:17 pm

From september schedule extension. B6 is up to 7 a day to BOS, 3 a day on JFK (with 1 A320) and one of the two flights to FLL switched to A320.
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:05 pm

casinterest wrote:
From my looks at the website it appears Terminal 2 has the following gates open

C8,,C12,C14,C24, and D16

Are these all common use gates? I assume 24 is as that is where Delta parks the 767 to Paris.

Which one will spirit use? D16?


Technically all gates at T2 are common use. Airlines just do t have signed leases for those at the moment.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
ncflyer
Posts: 1133
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:28 pm

I used to live in RTP, hence my handle. Not anymore though. This JetBlue schedule extension is a little stunning. First off, outside of FL markets and LA, RDU has to be one of the largest B6 stations served from JFK and BOS, maybe even the largest (I have to check DCA). Most markets, even places like DTW and CLE, only have 3 or maybe 4 frequencies.

It just really hits home, I think RDU has one of the best route offerings of any airport in USA.
1) It's not a hub airport. That helps keep competition up and airfares low. One day I'm going to play around with some CLT and RDU fares and I'll bet the differences will be stark
2) Partly as a result, it's got a very generous offering from ULCC, the Spirit expansion, to add all those flights all at once, is almost unheard of nowadays.
3) Also as a result, F9 is really able to experiment, in a way they wouldn't at a place like Charlotte. RDU is one of the larger F9 cities outside of DEN, FL markets, and LAS.
4) Service to CDG and LHR-- those are the two non North America cities everyone would like to start out with. Many cities comparable to RDU have one of those, but few have both.
5) China, with Lenovo in RTP, is a hope within let's say 5 years
6) Really nice coverage, again for not being a hub, for WN. It's not BWI or BNA, but it's a lot better than just about any other non WN hub city.
7) Every major business center has competition. Huge advantage compared to any hub airport.

I'm not saying anything new here, just appreciate what you've got! Really heads and shoulders above where I live now (CLE) and many other markets with larger or comparable populations-- CMH, PIT, IND, MCI, CVG, STL etc. It helps to have a well educated population, lots of relocated northerners, some tourist business, and a large catchment area.
 
LovePrunesAnet
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
Then we disagree.. I’m thinking the future.. you’re seeing the present. Discussion concluded


That particular user is pretty notorious for that.

That said, 747's and A380's are on their way out, gates will only need to accommodate up to the B777x/A350 max.


The 777 gates at RDU are 747 capable.. so that’s why o said 747... plus we don’t know what is coming in 2030 so I like to think RDU will keep option open.. in case SpaceX needs a gate for interstellular traffic departing from RDU.. *wink*


You do realize that even RDU itself has given up the plan for a third commercial runway? They know what's realistic in terms of future need and it's certainly not 12 simultaneous gates parked with 747s. That's why I said what I said but I guess I forgot which forum I was on. It's a.net, so sure dream big, why be realistic, we're all just "playing make believe" here I guess. No need for any basis in reality or practical discussion of whats in store for their future.

Why stop at 12? Why not suggest the entire concourse be changed for all widebody capable? Seriously just thinking practically and of the future.

Your vision of what RDU needs is not shared by the people running the airport whose mission is to help it grow, and keep their options open. If they don't think they need 12 747-capable gates, why do you think they do? It's dramatically more expensive to build gates with more real estate. Sorry I'm just saying your idea doesn't make much sense, as "fun" as it would be to have a giant terminal for 12 747s.
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:21 am

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

That particular user is pretty notorious for that.

That said, 747's and A380's are on their way out, gates will only need to accommodate up to the B777x/A350 max.


The 777 gates at RDU are 747 capable.. so that’s why o said 747... plus we don’t know what is coming in 2030 so I like to think RDU will keep option open.. in case SpaceX needs a gate for interstellular traffic departing from RDU.. *wink*


You do realize that even RDU itself has given up the plan for a third commercial runway? They know what's realistic in terms of future need and it's certainly not 12 simultaneous gates parked with 747s. That's why I said what I said but I guess I forgot which forum I was on. It's a.net, so sure dream big, why be realistic, we're all just "playing make believe" here I guess. No need for any basis in reality or practical discussion of whats in store for their future.

Why stop at 12? Why not suggest the entire concourse be changed for all widebody capable? Seriously just thinking practically and of the future.

Your vision of what RDU needs is not shared by the people running the airport whose mission is to help it grow, and keep their options open. If they don't think they need 12 747-capable gates, why do you think they do? It's dramatically more expensive to build gates with more real estate. Sorry I'm just saying your idea doesn't make much sense, as "fun" as it would be to have a giant terminal for 12 747s.

Dude, it was two weeks ago. You really gotta let it go. We all said our thoughts and moved on...except you.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
LovePrunesAnet
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:05 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

The 777 gates at RDU are 747 capable.. so that’s why o said 747... plus we don’t know what is coming in 2030 so I like to think RDU will keep option open.. in case SpaceX needs a gate for interstellular traffic departing from RDU.. *wink*


You do realize that even RDU itself has given up the plan for a third commercial runway? They know what's realistic in terms of future need and it's certainly not 12 simultaneous gates parked with 747s. That's why I said what I said but I guess I forgot which forum I was on. It's a.net, so sure dream big, why be realistic, we're all just "playing make believe" here I guess. No need for any basis in reality or practical discussion of whats in store for their future.

Why stop at 12? Why not suggest the entire concourse be changed for all widebody capable? Seriously just thinking practically and of the future.

Your vision of what RDU needs is not shared by the people running the airport whose mission is to help it grow, and keep their options open. If they don't think they need 12 747-capable gates, why do you think they do? It's dramatically more expensive to build gates with more real estate. Sorry I'm just saying your idea doesn't make much sense, as "fun" as it would be to have a giant terminal for 12 747s.

Dude, it was two weeks ago. You really gotta let it go. We all said our thoughts and moved on...except you.



What i commented on was 4 replies back in this thread posted 6 days ago. Didnt know we had a time limit, dude.

My point is that its nonsense to recommend RDU plan for outlandish capital expenses like 12 gates for 747s when their 20 year plan sees NOTHING of that kind of need. There are consulting firms who advise them. I know because I am employed in one, and the armchair QB advice here is just completely over the top. This is an airport, not a fantasy model train set.

I don't think even CLT is planning 12 gates for 747s. Thats the closest airport to RDU that could EVER see that kind of need in the next 20 to 30 years.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:56 am

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:

You do realize that even RDU itself has given up the plan for a third commercial runway? They know what's realistic in terms of future need and it's certainly not 12 simultaneous gates parked with 747s. That's why I said what I said but I guess I forgot which forum I was on. It's a.net, so sure dream big, why be realistic, we're all just "playing make believe" here I guess. No need for any basis in reality or practical discussion of whats in store for their future.

Why stop at 12? Why not suggest the entire concourse be changed for all widebody capable? Seriously just thinking practically and of the future.

Your vision of what RDU needs is not shared by the people running the airport whose mission is to help it grow, and keep their options open. If they don't think they need 12 747-capable gates, why do you think they do? It's dramatically more expensive to build gates with more real estate. Sorry I'm just saying your idea doesn't make much sense, as "fun" as it would be to have a giant terminal for 12 747s.

Dude, it was two weeks ago. You really gotta let it go. We all said our thoughts and moved on...except you.



What i commented on was 4 replies back in this thread posted 6 days ago. Didnt know we had a time limit, dude.

My point is that its nonsense to recommend RDU plan for outlandish capital expenses like 12 gates for 747s when their 20 year plan sees NOTHING of that kind of need. There are consulting firms who advise them. I know because I am employed in one, and the armchair QB advice here is just completely over the top. This is an airport, not a fantasy model train set.

I don't think even CLT is planning 12 gates for 747s. Thats the closest airport to RDU that could EVER see that kind of need in the next 20 to 30 years.


Seriously, let it go. You said your comment and everybody who read the thread read it. I got it. You think my comment was dumb. Noted. Now move on. Is there anything new or useful you can add to the thread or are you still stuck on a number? Any new news? New rumors? New figures? Be useful and not petty. Thank you. End Transmission.
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:28 am

Well, since this thread has gotten quiet, I thought I would provide an update or so..

Western LLC, builders of RDU's corporate aviation campus, has one of their large hanger (34000 sq ft) already reserved. In addition, there is a 37000 sq ft hanger, 300000 sq ft hanger, 2x 12000 sq ft hanger, and 2x 6400 sq ft hangars. Any thoughts who would take the 34000 sq ft hangar?

Other news:

* Frontier wants dual door boarding when it moves to Terminal 1. Would definitely make it more fun to get on board.
* The new runway may be short on funds thanks to the FAA cut of funds to RDU for the runway.
* Delta employees at RDU gets $2M in bonus
* RDU identifies it's 4 2019 priorities: Runway 5L-23R rehab + replacement; 2x Taxiway reconstruction; T2 security expansion; T1 gate activation
* RDU has 12.8M passengers throughout the year
* Total connections at RDU was 50780 for 2018 (0.40% of total traffic)
* Total international passenger for 2018 was 360,746
* Total cargo air shipped for 2018 was 290Mil lbs

Lastly, there are some threads that talk about Delta opening other focus cities and offering connections to beef the traffic. seeing that total connections are only 0.4% of the total pax, I don't think a DL focus city relies on connection traffic. DL opened RDU based upon the O&D for the region. I would guess the main connections would be to an international flight for DL and AA.

Hopefully that catches everyone up. Soon Via and Spirit will be at RDU..
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
jetpixx
Posts: 884
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:22 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:26 pm

Beginning 9/4...7x E190 to BOS. That's impressive.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LGA, M57, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:36 pm

If feel like there are other destinations JetBlue could do instead of 7x BOS.. how about one of them to SAN or PDX or HPN or BUF or NAS or BDA???
Aiming High and going far..
 
FLYKTPA
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:48 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
If feel like there are other destinations JetBlue could do instead of 7x BOS.. how about one of them to SAN or PDX or HPN or BUF or NAS or BDA???

Imo they would never. RDU is just a spoke to them, nothing more. If you’re not BOS, MCO, FLL or JFK they aren’t interested.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:58 pm

I’ve noticed... guess we can’t be choosers..
Aiming High and going far..
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:17 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
If feel like there are other destinations JetBlue could do instead of 7x BOS.. how about one of them to SAN or PDX or HPN or BUF or NAS or BDA???

RDU pushed B6 for years to start SJU. They’ve since cut back on SJU, so chances are slim to none now.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
ScrantonUSC
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:11 pm

I was very surprised to find out that they already have 6 daily, equaling DL. According to the RDU wiki, BOS has 4th most traffic from RDU.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:07 pm

Good service but room to grow is probably the 2nd biggest hurdle (after the runway that’s about to become useless)... but a healthy destination list for sure
Aiming High and going far..
 
tphuang
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:48 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
If feel like there are other destinations JetBlue could do instead of 7x BOS.. how about one of them to SAN or PDX or HPN or BUF or NAS or BDA???

RDU pushed B6 for years to start SJU. They’ve since cut back on SJU, so chances are slim to none now.


The next obvious one is MCO, since they are planning to build that out once they move into the new terminal. I could see them adding more frequency on JFK/FLL still. SJU/PBI are possibilities imo.
 
JFKMan
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:46 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:54 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Does Envoy handle the ramp for AA at RDU?


American has mainline ramp at RDU. My source: I work ramp for AA.
NYC
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 8524
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 pm

Anyone know what happened to this hanger? Drove by the other day and it was demolished. Are they rebuilding or leaving it empty for now?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35%C2 ... 78.7879132
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
Noise
Posts: 2436
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 1999 7:38 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:13 pm

When will B6 add RDU-MCO???
 
Rafale9312
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:29 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:19 pm

casinterest wrote:
Anyone know what happened to this hanger? Drove by the other day and it was demolished. Are they rebuilding or leaving it empty for now?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35%C2 ... 78.7879132


I think that hangar was home to a small local air freight operation, but had been out of business for many years IIRC. That being said, I doubt they'll rebuild it.

Noise wrote:
When will B6 add RDU-MCO???


I would say as soon as the terminal expansion at MCO is complete, if at all. As much as I really like B6 and I'd like to see them on this route, I'm not sure if entering this market would be the best option considering there are 3, soon to be 4 (and not counting G4 to SFB) carriers serving the route.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:11 am

casinterest wrote:
Anyone know what happened to this hanger? Drove by the other day and it was demolished. Are they rebuilding or leaving it empty for now?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35%C2 ... 78.7879132


Maybe it’s the start of the construction of the new hangars by Western??? Or maybe the start of construction of the new Cargo Terminals? It’s the general area per the vision2040.
Aiming High and going far..
 
Rafale9312
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:29 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:19 am

ERJ170 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Anyone know what happened to this hanger? Drove by the other day and it was demolished. Are they rebuilding or leaving it empty for now?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35%C2 ... 78.7879132


Maybe it’s the start of the construction of the new hangars by Western??? Or maybe the start of construction of the new Cargo Terminals? It’s the general area per the vision2040.


The Western hangars are the big corporate ones that will be to the NE of SAS's hangar, and if I remember correctly, the new cargo terminal will go where the current UPS and Fedex terminals are now.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:26 am

Okay. So I actually looked at Vision 2040.. looks like that general area will be a RON/hard stand area
Aiming High and going far..
 
Indy
Posts: 4840
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:01 am

Greetings RDU people. Barring an unforeseen better off from a Minneapolis based company, I will be moving to RDU at the end of this month. Anything new and interesting going on at the airport? Any solid rumors? My office will be about 10,000 feet from the end of the runway so I hope to be visiting on a somewhat regular basis. I can't wait to try out the observation tower.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
Rafale9312
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:29 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Indy wrote:
Greetings RDU people. Barring an unforeseen better off from a Minneapolis based company, I will be moving to RDU at the end of this month. Anything new and interesting going on at the airport? Any solid rumors? My office will be about 10,000 feet from the end of the runway so I hope to be visiting on a somewhat regular basis. I can't wait to try out the observation tower.


First of all, welcome to the RDU area! We hope you enjoy the area, which is exploding in growth! As far as spotting at RDU, I recommend joining the Plane Spotting RDU page on Facebook, where you can connect with other spotters and people that always track anything worth checking out (special liveries, military ops, etc.). The observation park is a great place to hang out, although I usually spot from the top of the parking deck in-between the terminals (for $2/hour). We used to have another overlook for Runway 5R/23L inside the G.A. terminal, but has since been deemed all but off-limits to the general public.

Second, as far as airlines and destinations go, Via Airlines has said in a Triangle Business Journal (TBJ) article that three more destinations in addition to BHM will be added/announced from RDU by the end of the year, but so far no speculation has been made in regards to what destinations are being added. This is all we have above and beyond what has already been announced (F9, NK, AA to PHX, DL to MSY, ORD, and PIT; AC to YUL, and SW to AUS and SJC).

Frontier, Spirit, and Via are being courted to Terminal 1 as they prepare to activate four gates built at the end of the year. These gates were not connected to the baggage systems as part of the original forecasted needs of the airport by this time. So far, Frontier has all but confirmed that they will be moving to Terminal 1, with international operations obviously staying at Terminal 1. A United Club is confirmed to be in construction in Terminal 2 across from the D1/D3 gates. While it will definitely open in 2019, no official opening date has been established, although rumors are suggesting a July or August opening.

RDU is still continuing to try to court service to Asia (particularly China due to the dual-headquarters presence of Lenovo in nearby Morrisville and Beijing). Delta, in an TBJ article from last year, is still looking at ways to expand mainly in the domestic territory and they have no interest in serving Asia or India (at least on DL metal), and will focus on improving access to connections at existing hubs for international expansion. However, they made a comment that they are open to the idea of looking at another point in Europe for nonstop service (likely AMS or LHR if they can get the slots) depending on the continued success of the CDG flight.

The airport authority has recently sold land to the Wake Stone corporation in order to help finance the construction of the new 11,500 foot runway (although it has been suggested in another forum that this will be shortened to 10,000 feet coinciding the FAA's decision to shorten CLT's proposed 12,000 feet runway to 10,000 feet, but RDU and the FAA have not confirmed yet whether this is the case), with environmentalists not being happy with the decision (surprise, surprise). On the flip side, when excavation is done, the new quarry and an existing adjacent one should be turned into a biking/hiking trail.
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:14 pm

Raleigh already have a daily flight to LHR on American. Its unlikely Delta will join that market
 
RDUDDJI
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:42 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:41 pm

casinterest wrote:
Anyone know what happened to this hanger? Drove by the other day and it was demolished. Are they rebuilding or leaving it empty for now?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35%C2 ... 78.7879132


I believe that was the old home of (now defunct) RAM Air Freight. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Air_Freight
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them
 
RDUDDJI
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:42 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:41 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
Raleigh already have a daily flight to LHR on American. Its unlikely Delta will join that market


Unless AA drops it. :)
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them
 
RDUDDJI
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:42 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Indy wrote:
Greetings RDU people. Barring an unforeseen better off from a Minneapolis based company, I will be moving to RDU at the end of this month. Anything new and interesting going on at the airport? Any solid rumors? My office will be about 10,000 feet from the end of the runway so I hope to be visiting on a somewhat regular basis. I can't wait to try out the observation tower.


Welcome to the RDU area!
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:06 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:
Raleigh already have a daily flight to LHR on American. Its unlikely Delta will join that market


Unless AA drops it. :)


That's unlikely, American are leasing a daily slot to Finnair in Summer 2019. It means they will probably add another flight in Summer 2020 to a destination - although Washington Dulles, Charlotte and Philadelphia are probably looking at an extra flight before Raleigh
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:07 pm

Rafale9312 wrote:
Indy wrote:
Greetings RDU people. Barring an unforeseen better off from a Minneapolis based company, I will be moving to RDU at the end of this month. Anything new and interesting going on at the airport? Any solid rumors? My office will be about 10,000 feet from the end of the runway so I hope to be visiting on a somewhat regular basis. I can't wait to try out the observation tower.


First of all, welcome to the RDU area! We hope you enjoy the area, which is exploding in growth! As far as spotting at RDU, I recommend joining the Plane Spotting RDU page on Facebook, where you can connect with other spotters and people that always track anything worth checking out (special liveries, military ops, etc.). The observation park is a great place to hang out, although I usually spot from the top of the parking deck in-between the terminals (for $2/hour). We used to have another overlook for Runway 5R/23L inside the G.A. terminal, but has since been deemed all but off-limits to the general public.

Second, as far as airlines and destinations go, Via Airlines has said in a Triangle Business Journal (TBJ) article that three more destinations in addition to BHM will be added/announced from RDU by the end of the year, but so far no speculation has been made in regards to what destinations are being added. This is all we have above and beyond what has already been announced (F9, NK, AA to PHX, DL to MSY, ORD, and PIT; AC to YUL, and SW to AUS and SJC).

Frontier, Spirit, and Via are being courted to Terminal 1 as they prepare to activate four gates built at the end of the year. These gates were not connected to the baggage systems as part of the original forecasted needs of the airport by this time. So far, Frontier has all but confirmed that they will be moving to Terminal 1, with international operations obviously staying at Terminal 1. A United Club is confirmed to be in construction in Terminal 2 across from the D1/D3 gates. While it will definitely open in 2019, no official opening date has been established, although rumors are suggesting a July or August opening.

RDU is still continuing to try to court service to Asia (particularly China due to the dual-headquarters presence of Lenovo in nearby Morrisville and Beijing). Delta, in an TBJ article from last year, is still looking at ways to expand mainly in the domestic territory and they have no interest in serving Asia or India (at least on DL metal), and will focus on improving access to connections at existing hubs for international expansion. However, they made a comment that they are open to the idea of looking at another point in Europe for nonstop service (likely AMS or LHR if they can get the slots) depending on the continued success of the CDG flight.

The airport authority has recently sold land to the Wake Stone corporation in order to help finance the construction of the new 11,500 foot runway (although it has been suggested in another forum that this will be shortened to 10,000 feet coinciding the FAA's decision to shorten CLT's proposed 12,000 feet runway to 10,000 feet, but RDU and the FAA have not confirmed yet whether this is the case), with environmentalists not being happy with the decision (surprise, surprise). On the flip side, when excavation is done, the new quarry and an existing adjacent one should be turned into a biking/hiking trail.


Wow! That’s truly a very thorough synopsis. Bravo. When I travel through RDu tomorrow, I’m gonna see if there are any Delta gates with A220 painted. I know it doesn’t mean they will be arriving any time soon, but it would be nice to know. :)
Aiming High and going far..
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:06 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Rafale9312 wrote:
Indy wrote:
Greetings RDU people. Barring an unforeseen better off from a Minneapolis based company, I will be moving to RDU at the end of this month. Anything new and interesting going on at the airport? Any solid rumors? My office will be about 10,000 feet from the end of the runway so I hope to be visiting on a somewhat regular basis. I can't wait to try out the observation tower.


First of all, welcome to the RDU area! We hope you enjoy the area, which is exploding in growth! As far as spotting at RDU, I recommend joining the Plane Spotting RDU page on Facebook, where you can connect with other spotters and people that always track anything worth checking out (special liveries, military ops, etc.). The observation park is a great place to hang out, although I usually spot from the top of the parking deck in-between the terminals (for $2/hour). We used to have another overlook for Runway 5R/23L inside the G.A. terminal, but has since been deemed all but off-limits to the general public.

Second, as far as airlines and destinations go, Via Airlines has said in a Triangle Business Journal (TBJ) article that three more destinations in addition to BHM will be added/announced from RDU by the end of the year, but so far no speculation has been made in regards to what destinations are being added. This is all we have above and beyond what has already been announced (F9, NK, AA to PHX, DL to MSY, ORD, and PIT; AC to YUL, and SW to AUS and SJC).

Frontier, Spirit, and Via are being courted to Terminal 1 as they prepare to activate four gates built at the end of the year. These gates were not connected to the baggage systems as part of the original forecasted needs of the airport by this time. So far, Frontier has all but confirmed that they will be moving to Terminal 1, with international operations obviously staying at Terminal 1. A United Club is confirmed to be in construction in Terminal 2 across from the D1/D3 gates. While it will definitely open in 2019, no official opening date has been established, although rumors are suggesting a July or August opening.

RDU is still continuing to try to court service to Asia (particularly China due to the dual-headquarters presence of Lenovo in nearby Morrisville and Beijing). Delta, in an TBJ article from last year, is still looking at ways to expand mainly in the domestic territory and they have no interest in serving Asia or India (at least on DL metal), and will focus on improving access to connections at existing hubs for international expansion. However, they made a comment that they are open to the idea of looking at another point in Europe for nonstop service (likely AMS or LHR if they can get the slots) depending on the continued success of the CDG flight.

The airport authority has recently sold land to the Wake Stone corporation in order to help finance the construction of the new 11,500 foot runway (although it has been suggested in another forum that this will be shortened to 10,000 feet coinciding the FAA's decision to shorten CLT's proposed 12,000 feet runway to 10,000 feet, but RDU and the FAA have not confirmed yet whether this is the case), with environmentalists not being happy with the decision (surprise, surprise). On the flip side, when excavation is done, the new quarry and an existing adjacent one should be turned into a biking/hiking trail.


Wow! That’s truly a very thorough synopsis. Bravo. When I travel through RDu tomorrow, I’m gonna see if there are any Delta gates with A220 painted. I know it doesn’t mean they will be arriving any time soon, but it would be nice to know. :)


Been my experience that they tend to paint the new line when a a/c of that type actually comes in. When they opened T2 many lines were painted in the wrong place and ended up causing damage to jetbridges.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
Janj
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:27 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Wow! That’s truly a very thorough synopsis. Bravo. When I travel through RDu tomorrow, I’m gonna see if there are any Delta gates with A220 painted. I know it doesn’t mean they will be arriving any time soon, but it would be nice to know. :)


A couple gates I've seen have them painted, they're labeled both with A220 and CS100/CS300.
 
RDUDDJI
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:42 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:02 am

rajincajun01 wrote:

Been my experience that they tend to paint the new line when a a/c of that type actually comes in. When they opened T2 many lines were painted in the wrong place and ended up causing damage to jetbridges.


Ha, I came in on the DL CDG flight yesterday. Had to wait about 10 minutes because they had to move the adjacent jetway (C22) so they could put C24 in place. Not sure why they waited until a 9+ hour flight arrived to do this...but oh well.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them
 
Indy
Posts: 4840
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:35 am

Thanks for the review and welcome. I would love to see AMS service added. That would make travel to Europe so much easier for me. Can't wait to get there. If all goes well I should be there in 2 weeks to deliver my car. Too bad I will have to lose my vanity IND license plate after only one year but oh well :-)
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5854
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:53 am

Indy wrote:
Thanks for the review and welcome. I would love to see AMS service added. That would make travel to Europe so much easier for me. Can't wait to get there. If all goes well I should be there in 2 weeks to deliver my car. Too bad I will have to lose my vanity IND license plate after only one year but oh well :-)


You can always get IND2RDU.. I’d be surprised if that is taken
Aiming High and going far..
 
Indy
Posts: 4840
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:33 am

ERJ170 wrote:
Indy wrote:
Thanks for the review and welcome. I would love to see AMS service added. That would make travel to Europe so much easier for me. Can't wait to get there. If all goes well I should be there in 2 weeks to deliver my car. Too bad I will have to lose my vanity IND license plate after only one year but oh well :-)


You can always get IND2RDU.. I’d be surprised if that is taken



Great idea. I just might do that.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
Buffalomatt1027
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:02 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
If feel like there are other destinations JetBlue could do instead of 7x BOS.. how about one of them to SAN or PDX or HPN or BUF or NAS or BDA???

Imo they would never. RDU is just a spoke to them, nothing more. If you’re not BOS, MCO, FLL or JFK they aren’t interested.


That's funny you mentioned that. ... at Buffalo International airport B6 flies to the same cities and WILL NOT deviate or add a new route. The only route we have on top of that is LA / LAX. To be fair, B6 makes bank from all those routes. So i get it.

Frontier tried BUF to RDU It just did okay with seasonal service.

Sept 2018 - 60% Seat utilization
Aug 2018 - 90%
July 2018 - 89%
June 2018 - 88%
May 2018 - 81%
April 2018 - 78%
 
thegreatRDU
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:47 am

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm

Hey Guys I talked to some some DL RDU personnel and they said AMS will happen, it's just a matter of when.

Thoughts?
Our Returning Champion
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos