Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FriscoHeavy

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:54 am

OA940 wrote:
It looks great but it's gonna look pretty weird in the air when they're folded.

:banghead:

Ummm? They won’t be folded during flight, unless it fails, which means it wouldn’t have taken off in the first place.
Whatever

OA940

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:48 am

Revelation wrote:
Let us know when you see that happen.

Personally I doubt it ever will, but you can never say never.

9Patch wrote:
They look great folded.

FriscoHeavy wrote:
:banghead:

Ummm? They won’t be folded during flight, unless it fails, which means it wouldn’t have taken off in the first place.

Ya I may or may not have used the wrong word there. I meant when they're, well, not like that, in the position they're supposed to be in the air. My bad there
A350/CSeries = bae

art

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:39 am

Boeing so far says the FAA certification process scrutiny for the 737 MAX hasn’t affected the 777X, but LNA and industry participants believe that the FAA must be reviewing what it’s done in the past and looking at what processes are to come. The consensus, and LNA’s conclusion, is that the FAA’s revisiting the process (if this thesis is correct) will result in a delay as well.

https://leehamnews.com/2019/07/24/boeing-2q-earnings-down-as-expected-777x-delay-confirmed/

Well I hope that the certification work done so far is revisited and, if found suspect, done again properly. The engine delay fortunately mitigates the delay involved. What value would certification have if done as per MAX?

WIederling

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:14 am

9Patch wrote:
They look great folded.

Actually the articulation looks "medieval". :-)

So many seams, nooks and crannies remaining in the "fly state".
Definitely no laminar flow in that area.
Murphy is an optimist

Revelation

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:50 pm

OA940 wrote:
Ya I may or may not have used the wrong word there. I meant when they're, well, not like that, in the position they're supposed to be in the air. My bad there

Seems you stirred up an old controversy you didn't know about. There seem to be a lot of people who don't understand that the wing tips are using very tried and true mechanisms such as those seen on navy fighters, so there was a lot of initial fear about various failure modes and their impacts, both of which were overstated. Hopefully all of that has been put to rest, but you never know.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

bikerthai

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:12 pm

Revelation wrote:
There seem to be a lot of people who don't understand that the wing tips are using very tried and true mechanisms such as those seen on navy fighters, so there was a lot of initial fear about various failure modes and their impacts, both of which were overstated.

Have there ever been a document event where the folding wing of a navy get "accidentally" deployed in flight?

Similarly, there is one incident of the thrust reverser deploying in flight. But after that issue was corrected, there seems to be no more issues. The TR can be deactivated in the closed position, the same procedure would apply to the folding wing if needed.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

FluidFlow

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:19 pm

bikerthai wrote:
Revelation wrote:
There seem to be a lot of people who don't understand that the wing tips are using very tried and true mechanisms such as those seen on navy fighters, so there was a lot of initial fear about various failure modes and their impacts, both of which were overstated.

Have there ever been a document event where the folding wing of a navy get "accidentally" deployed in flight?

Similarly, there is one incident of the thrust reverser deploying in flight. But after that issue was corrected, there seems to be no more issues. The TR can be deactivated in the closed position, the same procedure would apply to the folding wing if needed.

bt

As the folding mechanism is really far out on the wing of a 777X even if it would fold up during flight, the aircraft will not be in immediate danger, it will just increase drag a lot. But chances are high that it will be bolted and the bolts can not be moved when in flight or most probably over a certain speed > taxi velocity.

What we might see a few times is that the wing tips will not fold up after landing and they have to bring out crew to manually fold them up to park the aircraft at the gate or deboarding will be somewhere else where there is enough space.

sassiciai

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:28 pm

This site documents occasions when US Navy aircraft took to the air with their wings "folded"

https://theaviationist.com/2014/02/19/u ... ded-wings/

It would be funny if flight experience shows that the 777X wing tips are more effective in the "up" position than "down"!!

Stitch

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:30 pm

bikerthai wrote:

Not to my knowledge. Considering the much larger surface area of the folded wingspan of carrier aircraft and the (often) more complicated folding mechanism, I imagine it is just not possible due to the aerodynamic forces in effect on the wing when in flight.

9Patch

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:37 pm

WIederling wrote:
9Patch wrote:
They look great folded.

"Not invented here."

OA940

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:46 pm

FluidFlow wrote:
bikerthai wrote:
Revelation wrote:

bt

As the folding mechanism is really far out on the wing of a 777X even if it would fold up during flight, the aircraft will not be in immediate danger, it will just increase drag a lot. But chances are high that it will be bolted and the bolts can not be moved when in flight or most probably over a certain speed > taxi velocity.

What we might see a few times is that the wing tips will not fold up after landing and they have to bring out crew to manually fold them up to park the aircraft at the gate or deboarding will be somewhere else where there is enough space.

I'm pretty sure Boeing actually said at one point that even if they did fold mid-flight it wouldn't be any major threat to the aircraft. I assume they're gonna test how the plane responds to such an event, rare as it may be
A350/CSeries = bae

WIederling

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:30 am

9Patch wrote:
WIederling wrote:
9Patch wrote:
They look great folded.

"Not invented here."

Let me elaborate on the invalidity of your answer after a shorter one went missing:

Quite a large effort goes into creating unbroken surfaces ( be that wing skins, fuselages or engine nacelles..)
the one piece wing skins of a CFRP wing are quite instrumental here.
Longitudinal seams have less impact than the air stream crossing ones.

It is surprising that Boeing "kills" this process via introducing a convoluted articulation design
that nixes all these advantages for that part of the wing.

It is a design that works towards impressing as "visually sturdy".
Murphy is an optimist

bikerthai

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:48 am

sassiciai wrote:
This site documents occasions when US Navy aircraft took to the air with their wings "folded"

https://theaviationist.com/2014/02/19/u ... ded-wings/

It would be funny if flight experience shows that the 777X wing tips are more effective in the "up" position than "down"!!

Now we know at least planes can fly with folded wings. If I read it right, all the situation noted are examples of pilots forgetting to unfold the wings and not wings folding themselves during flight.

Hopefully control towers will know enough to remind the pilots if they forget to unfold or the checklist before clearing for take off.

bt

RickNRoll

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:52 am

Pretty sure the safety systems would detect the unfolded wingtips and alert the pilots. Can't see it ever happening.

Stitch

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 pm

bikerthai wrote:
If I read it right, all the situation noted are examples of pilots forgetting to unfold the wings and not wings folding themselves during flight. Hopefully control towers will know enough to remind the pilots if they forget to unfold or the checklist before clearing for take off.

The 777X ACAP notes that as part of the takeoff clearance procedure, the crew will inform the tower that the wings are in the proper configuration for takeoff. I also expect that a configuration EICAS and/or Master Caution warning will sound if a takeoff is attempted with the wingtips folded (like when the slats and/or flaps are not properly configured).

mxaxai

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:56 pm

WIederling wrote:
9Patch wrote:
WIederling wrote:
"Not invented here."
Quite a large effort goes into creating unbroken surfaces ( be that wing skins, fuselages or engine nacelles..)

At the high Reynolds numbers of commercial jets, singificant laminar flow is not to be expected anyway. If the -9's wing is aerodynamically derived from the original 777 wing - which I expect it to be - there won't be much to worry about laminar flow in the first place.
The first airliners to incorporate significant areas of laminar flow are (AFAIK) the 787 and A350. Even there, it's only on select parts, mostly vertical stabilizer and engine nacelles.

WIederling

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:15 pm

mxaxai wrote:
At the high Reynolds numbers of commercial jets, singificant laminar flow is not to be expected anyway. If the -9's wing is aerodynamically derived from the original 777 wing - which I expect it to be - there won't be much to worry about laminar flow in the first place.
The first airliners to incorporate significant areas of laminar flow are (AFAIK) the 787 and A350. Even there, it's only on select parts, mostly vertical stabilizer and engine nacelles.

IMU and afair all talk was about the 777 CFRP wing being a (more or less, scaling rules apply ) upsized 787 derivation!?
Murphy is an optimist

9Patch

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:07 pm

WIederling wrote:
9Patch wrote:
WIederling wrote:

"Not invented here."

Let me elaborate on the invalidity of your answer after a shorter one went missing:

It is surprising that Boeing "kills" this process via introducing a convoluted articulation design
that nixes all these advantages for that part of the wing.

It is a design that works towards impressing as "visually sturdy".

But the benefits of the increased wing span on fuel efficiency must more than compensate for any of your contrived caviling, or Boeing wouldn't have done them in the first place.

seabosdca

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:10 pm

WIederling wrote:
IMU and afair all talk was about the 777 CFRP wing being a (more or less, scaling rules apply ) upsized 787 derivation!?

:checkmark: By all appearances it has more in common with the 787 wing than the 777 Classic/LR wing.

In any event it seems rather unlikely that they didn't take into account the effect of the folding mechanism when they evaluated the design of the wing as a whole.

Revelation

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:20 pm

seabosdca wrote:
In any event it seems rather unlikely that they didn't take into account the effect of the folding mechanism when they evaluated the design of the wing as a whole.

I know that Boeing is in the doghouse these days, but it's amazing that people think Boeing went through all the time and expense of developing the folding wingtip itself and the procedures and the software to use it, and yes, satisfying aviation regulations, without having a solid understanding of what benefits it provides versus any hits in efficiency it may suffer due to not presenting a flat surface when unfolded for a small number of inches/centimeters.

bikerthai

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:39 pm

seabosdca wrote:
By all appearances it has more in common with the 787 wing than the 777 Classic/LR wing.

The thing most in common with the 787 would be how it was constructed (skin, stringer, frame configuration). The new wing necessitate a different airfoil profile than the original wing because of how the wing flex during flight. However, the 777X has a different wing sweep than the 787, so direct scaling is not necessarily accurate.

bt

qf789

Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:27 am

Another close up view of that EK folding wingtip now on the flightline

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/11 ... 25248?s=20
Forum Moderator

steman

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:03 am

qf789 wrote:

There´s something I don´t understand.
The plane hasn´t even had its first flight, probably not even started the certification process and they are already building examples for customer airlines?
LH first and EK now?
Is it because it is not a completely new model and they don´t expect to have to change anything on the production line following flight tests?
Or is this standard for all modern airliners? I don´t recall the 787 or A350 having started production of customer examples before the prototype
made its first flight.

Thank you

StTim

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:05 am

How many will they have produced before certification completes?

A lot of inventory with potential rework required.

StTim

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:17 am

How long and how costly was the rework on the terrible teens?

CX Flyboy

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:52 am

StTim wrote:

But that was an unusual event and not the standard to which normal and future certification programs should be scheduled to.

StTim

Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:17 am

CX Flyboy wrote:
StTim wrote:

But that was an unusual event and not the standard to which normal and future certification programs should be scheduled to.

Agree - unusual and I doubt this will be anywhere near as bad. But we do not know what testing will show.

FrenchPotatoEye

Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:38 am

steman wrote:
qf789 wrote:

There´s something I don´t understand.
The plane hasn´t even had its first flight, probably not even started the certification process and they are already building examples for customer airlines?
LH first and EK now?
Is it because it is not a completely new model and they don´t expect to have to change anything on the production line following flight tests?
Or is this standard for all modern airliners? I don´t recall the 787 or A350 having started production of customer examples before the prototype
made its first flight.

Thank you

Certainly there were many pictures of the 787 line with ex-northwest 787s with red tails on the assembly line.

All before the furst flights.

RobK

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:01 am

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Certainly there were many pictures of the 787 line with ex-northwest 787s with red tails on the assembly line.

There were no ex-northwest 787s with red tails. The red tails were all Air India with some Hainan.

Revelation

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:39 am

StTim wrote:
CX Flyboy wrote:
StTim wrote:

Agree - unusual and I doubt this will be anywhere near as bad. But we do not know what testing will show.

Surely there are GE9X engines already needing rework.

Good thing they are detachable.

steman

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:40 am

RobK wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

There were no ex-northwest 787s with red tails. The red tails were all Air India with some Hainan.

So it is standard practice for Boeing to start building airplanes destined to customers even before the prototype makes its first flight?

UAEflyer

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:42 am

Is there a 1% chance that 777X can make it to Dubai Airshow ? Display only..

FrenchPotatoEye

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:45 am

RobK wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

Sigh:

https://advancelocal-adapter-image-uplo ... -large.jpg

Randy"s Journal in 2007 showed three 787s in assembly. Two of which had red painted ruddeers that were due to go to northwest, prior to being taken over by Delta.

Google is your friend.

Last edited by FrenchPotatoEye on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlatantEcho

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 am

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

So it is standard practice for Boeing to start building airplanes destined to customers even before the prototype makes its first flight?

of course.
Same for Airbus too.
They don't just wait for certification to be complete and say 'ok, now let's build some of these'

FrenchPotatoEye

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:58 am

UAEflyer wrote:
Is there a 1% chance that 777X can make it to Dubai Airshow ? Display only..

Denis mullenburg said first flight was now in 2020, so I guess the 1% chance is more like 100% no chances!

RobK

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:12 pm

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Randy"s Journal in 2007 showed three 787s in assembly. Two of which had red painted ruddeers that were due to go to northwest, prior to being taken over by Delta.

I stand corrected. It's so long ago now I'd completely forgotten about those and they were only very short-lived if I recall before getting painted in Boeing house livery.

StTim

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:12 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

of course.
Same for Airbus too.
They don't just wait for certification to be complete and say 'ok, now let's build some of these'

Of course they do but I cannot recall production versions off the line before a first flight of the variant has happened.

FrenchPotatoEye

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:36 pm

RobK wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

I stand corrected. It's so long ago now I'd completely forgotten about those and they were only very short-lived if I recall before getting painted in Boeing house livery.

Not a problem robk, easily done.

Still, would have been nice to see them in NW colors! Ah well!

bikerthai

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:04 pm

StTim wrote:
Of course they do but I cannot recall production versions off the line before a first flight of the variant has happened.

First flight and production output is really not dependent on each other. The reason why they need to keep pumping out planes during testing and certification is they can not afford to keep a large work force idle waiting for certification to be complete. Long lead parts forces them to continue with the fabrication. It is a risk that they must take to enable a sufficient number of frames available for the first customer as soon as FAA approves the certificate.

As we saw with the 787, if some issue is discovered during flight test, then the ramification can be significant. However, the delay of getting frames to the customer also have a financial impact as well.

bt

Polot

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:09 pm

StTim wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

of course.
Same for Airbus too.

True, but this is due to a relatively last minute delay involving a bolt on exterior component built elsewhere. Any manufacturer would be in the same situation. Nothing about the first flight is going to change anything about the production aircraft (obviously things that crop up during flight testing might).

WIederling

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:17 am

Polot wrote:
.................last minute delay involving a bolt on exterior component built elsewhere. ................

as in "jet engine, 2 of " ? :-))))))
Murphy is an optimist

musman9853

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:13 am

WIederling wrote:
Polot wrote:
.................last minute delay involving a bolt on exterior component built elsewhere. ................

as in "jet engine, 2 of " ? :-))))))

Yeah, a fairly minor part lol
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

qf789

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:23 am

777-9 N779XW is scheduled to have more taxi and brake system testing at 12pm today

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/11 ... 99265?s=20
Forum Moderator

Spetsnaz55

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:10 am

qf789 wrote:
777-9 N779XW is scheduled to have more taxi and brake system testing at 12pm today

I get off at 12. Perfect will head straight there

Spetsnaz55

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:58 pm

qf789 wrote:

Dont think it's still happening. 1 PM and no movement yet

Revelation

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Watch the wingtips unfold as 777-9 N779XW taxis to the runway at https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/11 ... 6404265984 ...

777222LR

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:45 pm

It's definitely a good looking aircraft. Can we expect the wing flex to more along the lines of the 787 now since the wings are carbon fiber? (Correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Sooner787

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 pm

777222LR wrote:
It's definitely a good looking aircraft. Can we expect the wing flex to more along the lines of the 787 now since the wings are carbon fiber? (Correct me if I'm wrong on that).

I just received my new 1/200 B779x in house colors and the wings are curved up just like the 787 wings.

Also..... that model shows the 777X title on the belly of the beast.

Btw.... bought the model at boeingstore.com :)
Last edited by Sooner787 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stitch

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 pm

777222LR wrote:

I hope so - love the flex on the 747-8 (which I know is aluminum) and 787.

SEPilot

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:06 am

777222LR wrote:

The amount of wing flex is tied to several factors. But the most important ones are the strength to stiffness ratio of the structural material, and its ability to withstand flexing without fatigue. CFRP is far superior to aluminum in these regards; it is very strong without being stiff, and is pretty much immune to fatigue, whereas aluminum is very susceptible to it. In fact, what drives the life limits that the FAA has required that airframe manufacturers put on all airliners is primarily aluminum fatigue. Steel has a fatigue floor; you can stress it less than the floor value basically indefinitely, and it will not fatigue. Aluminum does not. If you stress it repeatedly, no matter how slightly, and repeat it enough times it will crack. So aluminum wings, if they are allowed to flex a significant amount, will have much shorter lives than is desirable. CFRP wings, on the other hand, can happily flex to the designer’s heart’s content.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos