Page 6 of 13

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:57 am
by qf789
Second 779 has rolled out of final assembly

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/11 ... 37952?s=20

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:02 am
by qf789
777-9 N779XW testing on 17th April at 9pm includes FQIS calibration, refuel and surge pressure testing

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/11 ... 60704?s=20

Another photo of N779XW at the fuel dock

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/11 ... 15616?s=20

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:49 am
by FrenchPotatoEye
When is the 8 due out?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:27 pm
by Stitch
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
When is the 8 due out?


EIS is 2021 last I heard, so late 2020?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:02 am
by Spetsnaz55
qf789 wrote:
Second 779 has rolled out of final assembly

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/11 ... 37952?s=20



That is flight test 3. 2 is still inside finishing up testing

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:43 am
by qf789
779 N779XW has undergone initial fueling

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/11 ... 99233?s=20

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:00 pm
by Sooner787
Stitch wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
When is the 8 due out?


EIS is 2021 last I heard, so late 2020?


The 777-8 , with the shorter fuselage paired with those massive wings and engines,
will really look amazing. Can't wait to see that jet as well :)

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:25 pm
by many321
Sooner787 wrote:
Stitch wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
When is the 8 due out?


EIS is 2021 last I heard, so late 2020?


The 777-8 , with the shorter fuselage paired with those massive wings and engines,
will really look amazing. Can't wait to see that jet as well :)


That's the one I'm most looking forward to.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:25 pm
by ikolkyo
Can't wait for the 777X to fly, I think its going to beat many expectations.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:20 pm
by Tokyo777
Stitch wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
When is the 8 due out?


EIS is 2021 last I heard, so late 2020?


777-8X EIS is 2022 (and always has been).

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:23 am
by RobK
The first production frame for Emirates is in sub assembly right now. (Disregard if already posted up thread, I've not been following this one too closely).

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:00 pm
by Sooner787
So I heard / read few weeks back first flight was set for around April 26th?

Haven't seen any hints on social media about it yet, so anyone have the inside

info on the target date ?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:38 am
by travaz
Cathay Pacific CEO Rupert Hogg said he is impressed with the airplane after visiting Boeing. He also said he might order more of the 777X. Article behind a paywall.
The CEO of Cathay Pacific says Boeing's new 777X is the logical choice for the Hong Kong airline as it modernizes its long-haul fleet. CEO Rupert Hogg suggested to The Business Journal the carrier might buy more than the first batch of 21 it ordered in 2013, when 777X was launched.
Cathay Pacific CEO Rupert Hogg had an upfront look at 777X - Puget ...
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/.../ ... -hogg.html

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:34 pm
by Dave05
keesje wrote:
OldAeroGuy wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:

The 200LR is the real cage fighter!!


Maybe the 777-200LR/F is like a sumo wrestler.


The 777-9 is at serious ballerina, she gained 30k lb empty weight over the 77W.

77W OEW: 370,000 lb / 167,829 kg
777X OEW 400,000 lb / 181,400 kg

Apparently the lower wing loading of the 777X provides better control power at low speeds, during V1+ engine continue take-off.

That said, I can see the GE9X gaining thrust a bit again, even before type certification, to improve safety margins.


The 777w engine's record breaking full thrust was just a demonstration right? That much thrust was never used on any commercial flights. In the demonstration they run the engine untill it blew up to achieve the maximum thrust numbers.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:46 pm
by pabloeing
travaz wrote:
Cathay Pacific CEO Rupert Hogg said he is impressed with the airplane after visiting Boeing. He also said he might order more of the 777X. Article behind a paywall.
The CEO of Cathay Pacific says Boeing's new 777X is the logical choice for the Hong Kong airline as it modernizes its long-haul fleet. CEO Rupert Hogg suggested to The Business Journal the carrier might buy more than the first batch of 21 it ordered in 2013, when 777X was launched.
Cathay Pacific CEO Rupert Hogg had an upfront look at 777X - Puget ...
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/.../ ... -hogg.html

QF visit for B777X too in PAE?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:18 pm
by OldAeroGuy
Dave05 wrote:
keesje wrote:
OldAeroGuy wrote:

Maybe the 777-200LR/F is like a sumo wrestler.


The 777-9 is at serious ballerina, she gained 30k lb empty weight over the 77W.

77W OEW: 370,000 lb / 167,829 kg
777X OEW 400,000 lb / 181,400 kg

Apparently the lower wing loading of the 777X provides better control power at low speeds, during V1+ engine continue take-off.

That said, I can see the GE9X gaining thrust a bit again, even before type certification, to improve safety margins.


The 777w engine's record breaking full thrust was just a demonstration right? That much thrust was never used on any commercial flights. In the demonstration they run the engine untill it blew up to achieve the maximum thrust numbers.


The GE90-115B did run at 127,900 lbs thrust during ground testing but it was not kept at this level until it blew up.

777-300ER's routinely operate their GE90-115B's up to their rated thrust of 115,300 lbs as required for takeoff performance.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:55 pm
by lightsaber
OldAeroGuy wrote:
Dave05 wrote:
keesje wrote:

The 777-9 is at serious ballerina, she gained 30k lb empty weight over the 77W.

77W OEW: 370,000 lb / 167,829 kg
777X OEW 400,000 lb / 181,400 kg

Apparently the lower wing loading of the 777X provides better control power at low speeds, during V1+ engine continue take-off.

That said, I can see the GE9X gaining thrust a bit again, even before type certification, to improve safety margins.


The 777w engine's record breaking full thrust was just a demonstration right? That much thrust was never used on any commercial flights. In the demonstration they run the engine untill it blew up to achieve the maximum thrust numbers.


The GE90-115B did run at 127,900 lbs thrust during ground testing but it was not kept at this level until it blew up.

777-300ER's routinely operate their GE90-115B's up to their rated thrust of 115,300 lbs as required for takeoff performance.

Engines must be run to 103% of rpm during testing. Or, the engine controls must keep the maximum engine rpm below 97.08% of the maximum tested. So testing must always produce more thrust than ever used in service. 103% rpm is about 110% thrust, so all engines are tested to excessive thrust. This is an old FAA requirement to ensure all engines have safety margin. RPM was selected as it is a data point that isn't likely to be off enough to matter and is easy to measure.

GE-90s did undergo blade out testing which is spectacular. Due to oil venting, the GE-90 created quite a fireball, which is normal for this test. A Pratt team witnessed and released the photos. Since then GE has paid Pratt to perform the testing to ensure, as per test contract, the photos are never released. As Pratt's test site is miles from anywhere and in the middle of a swampy forest, no one off site can take photos. Due to the same test stand testing classified engines, no nearby flights are allowed.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:47 pm
by OldAeroGuy
No issue just so long as it's clear that the destruction was the blade out test, not the triple point testing.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:08 am
by nikeherc
Has anyone heard anything new on testing and first flight?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:18 am
by UAEflyer
Is there any 77XBBJ on order ? Which government will be the first to fly it .

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:07 am
by migair54
keesje wrote:
OldAeroGuy wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:

The 200LR is the real cage fighter!!


Maybe the 777-200LR/F is like a sumo wrestler.


The 777-9 is at serious ballerina, she gained 30k lb empty weight over the 77W.

77W OEW: 370,000 lb / 167,829 kg
777X OEW 400,000 lb / 181,400 kg

Apparently the lower wing loading of the 777X provides better control power at low speeds, during V1+ engine continue take-off.

That said, I can see the GE9X gaining thrust a bit again, even before type certification, to improve safety margins.



How is that possible?? I was under the impression that the plane will be lighter due to the new technologies and materials. does this mean that the payload will be lower?? do we have any hint on the MLW and MZFW?

OldAeroGuy wrote:
But at the start of a jump ie takeoff, she weights just the same. 775,000 lb / 351,538 kg

That's for the ULR models, the normal B77W is around 340.2T. So I am not sure if the B779 will have both options or it will be only at 351T.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 am
by RJMAZ
migair54 wrote:
How is that possible?? I was under the impression that the plane will be lighter due to the new technologies and materials.

It would have been lighter if the wing was kept the same size and the fuselage was the same length. The 777X wing is significantly bigger which offsets any weight saving from conposites.

The big wing improves lift to drag ratio. So if both the 777W and 777X took off at the same 351T MTOW then the 777X would require less engine thrust to climb and cruise.

Extra weight used to increase wingspan is weight well spent when it comes to long range fuel burn. Aircraft empty weight is mainly important when it comes to short haul aircraft.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 am
by migair54
RJMAZ wrote:
migair54 wrote:
How is that possible?? I was under the impression that the plane will be lighter due to the new technologies and materials.

It would have been lighter if the wing was kept the same size and the fuselage was the same length. The 777X wing is significantly bigger which offsets any weight saving from conposites.

The big wing improves lift to drag ratio. So if both the 777W and 777X took off at the same 351T MTOW then the 777X would require less engine thrust to climb and cruise.

Extra weight used to increase wingspan is weight well spent when it comes to long range fuel burn. Aircraft empty weight is mainly important when it comes to short haul aircraft.


I got it, so the plane will be heavier, but for the same mission will have less fuel burn, and more capacity, so the benefit is less fuel and more payload.

I guess EK will start using them mainly in the ULR missions where the reduce uplift of fuel plus the reduce fuel burn and the extra space will make the plane an excellent choice, much better than in shorter routes. It will be interesting to see how does the B779 perform in the hot summer weather with 10.000 less lbs of thrust, but I guess it will be compensated by the wing design and the extra long wing.

SEPilot wrote:
Climb performance is determined by how much excess thrust is available over what is required to maintain level flight and by the weight. Being as the weight is the same it is how much extra thrust is available that will determine climb performance. But wing efficiency will also play a small role, and I believe the thrust margin is probably about the same. So my expectation is that the 779 will climb at least as well as the 77W and maybe slightly better.


I really hope it climbs better, because the B77W at very heavy weight it's not climbing very well, be happy if you can reach 30.000 for the first 2-3 hours. The B77L and the B77F are much better climbing.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:56 am
by qf789

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:07 am
by LAX772LR
Stitch wrote:
The MAX theme is now the official Boeing House Theme so all their planes use it.

Meh. Seems like every time they roll out a significant new variant, the "House Theme" colors change..... 77W, 77L, 748, 787s, 7Mx, etc.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:35 am
by RRUltrafan
Does anyone know why there seems to be a sort of ridge towards the rear of the GE9X's nacelle? At the trailing edge of the nacelle, it comes down straight, but at around the halfway point the nacelle extends further back.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:09 pm
by vhtje
LAX772LR wrote:
Meh. Seems like every time they roll out a significant new variant, the "House Theme" colors change..... 77W, 77L, 748, 787s, 7Mx, etc.


I'm struggling to see your problem with Boeing updating its in-house livery. Its not like Boeing is releasing a new model every week...?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:23 pm
by VirginFlyer
RRUltrafan wrote:
Does anyone know why there seems to be a sort of ridge towards the rear of the GE9X's nacelle? At the trailing edge of the nacelle, it comes down straight, but at around the halfway point the nacelle extends further back.

Are you talking about the fairing on back half of the bottom of the nacelle as visible in this photo?

Image

It is where the thrust reverser mechanism is I believe.

V/F

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:40 pm
by LAX772LR
migair54 wrote:
That's for the ULR models, the normal B77W is around 340.2T. So I am not sure if the B779 will have both options or it will be only at 351T.

There are no "both options" with either variant.

The choice is far more than binary:
there are plenty of weight options an airline can select, and they don't have to be static at all times, even for the same aircraft.



vhtje wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Meh. Seems like every time they roll out a significant new variant, the "House Theme" colors change..... 77W, 77L, 748, 787s, 7Mx, etc.

I'm struggling to see your problem with Boeing updating its in-house livery. Its not like Boeing is releasing a new model every week...?

I'm struggling with why you're assuming that I have "a problem" with any of the aforementioned. :confused:

I simply noted that it changes all the time, so there's nothing all that significant about the current appearance on a given model being official at this point. Consistent history of the last two decades shows that it's likely to change with whatever comes out next.


RRUltrafan wrote:
Does anyone know why there seems to be a sort of ridge towards the rear of the GE9X's nacelle? At the trailing edge of the nacelle, it comes down straight, but at around the halfway point the nacelle extends further back.

I'm wondering why it's become more pronounced on recent bigger engines. It's very noticeable on the A32x-NEOs

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:42 am
by bikerthai
VirginFlyer wrote:
It is where the thrust reverser mechanism is I believe.


If this is a translating sleeve TR, then the actuators 6 per nacelles are further up. What you are seeing may be the faring for the track on which the translating sleeve will slide. Just a guess....

One can verify this by the absence of these bumps on the pivoting doors TRs on the Airbus models.

bt

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:43 am
by zululima
bikerthai wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
It is where the thrust reverser mechanism is I believe.


If this is a translating sleeve TR, then the actuators 6 per nacelles are further up. What you are seeing may be the faring for the track on which the translating sleeve will slide. Just a guess....

One can verify this by the absence of these bumps on the pivoting doors TRs on the Airbus models.

bt


It's obvious he doesn't mean the top and bottom TR fairings, which everyone sees. He's talking about the trailing edge of the TR; it's not straight vertical, but has a kink.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:12 am
by RRUltrafan
zululima yes thats what I was referring to

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:00 am
by SEPilot
So any further word on when first flight will be?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:27 am
by 777Jet
July 7?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:26 am
by Noshow
What is she doing now? Engine runs?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:47 am
by majano
777Jet wrote:
July 7?

I see what you did there.... :highfive:

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:33 pm
by Noshow
Let's not wait until 2077 please.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:36 pm
by bikerthai
zululima wrote:
It's obvious he doesn't mean the top and bottom TR fairings, which everyone sees. He's talking about the trailing edge of the TR; it's not straight vertical, but has a kink.


I see what you guys are talking about. If that is the case, then it has nothing to do with the TR mechanism. The shape of the trailing edge of the TR duct is to provide the proper pressure differentials as the expanding air exit the by-pass duct. Looking at the end view of the engine, there is no obvious geometry that would force you to have this kink. The one end view of the engine seems to show that the upper duct may be narrower than the lower portion thus forcing a shifting in the trailing edge to provide the right delta P. But then the difference in duct shape it may just be an illusion.

bt

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:08 pm
by strfyr51
Miquel787 wrote:
The beast has engines..Holy smokes, they are huge..awesome fanblades with those curves.

This is gonna be a hell of an airplane..The 777 was and is Boeing.s masterpiece but this machine will be their finest hour.Sorry for all the Airbus fans but this is a real airliner..

Just joking..I.m a huge triple 7 fan and can.t wait to see it lift off for it.s first flight.

the fan Blades are Huge and the number is reduced from earlier models. The question is? Would GE ever allow a retrofit of earlier GE models with the new Fan Model?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:36 pm
by morrisond
strfyr51 wrote:
Miquel787 wrote:
The beast has engines..Holy smokes, they are huge..awesome fanblades with those curves.

This is gonna be a hell of an airplane..The 777 was and is Boeing.s masterpiece but this machine will be their finest hour.Sorry for all the Airbus fans but this is a real airliner..

Just joking..I.m a huge triple 7 fan and can.t wait to see it lift off for it.s first flight.

the fan Blades are Huge and the number is reduced from earlier models. The question is? Would GE ever allow a retrofit of earlier GE models with the new Fan Model?


The engine core is entirely different - it would never work.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:03 pm
by lightsaber
morrisond wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Miquel787 wrote:
The beast has engines..Holy smokes, they are huge..awesome fanblades with those curves.

This is gonna be a hell of an airplane..The 777 was and is Boeing.s masterpiece but this machine will be their finest hour.Sorry for all the Airbus fans but this is a real airliner..

Just joking..I.m a huge triple 7 fan and can.t wait to see it lift off for it.s first flight.

the fan Blades are Huge and the number is reduced from earlier models. The question is? Would GE ever allow a retrofit of earlier GE models with the new Fan Model?


The engine core is entirely different - it would never work.

Let me rephrase the question and answer. Would GE ever update the GE-90 fan to a fan with fewer blades.

My thoughts, an expensive certification that would only be done if 400+ new GE-90 could be sold. Since there is no chance of that, you will not see the upgrade.

The upgrade would save, at most 0.2% of fuel. Most if the benefit is for a low spool designed for a higher blade tip Mach number. This allows a more efficient low compressor and low turbine as they need high blade Mach #s for efficiency (why there are GTFs).

Since this requires a whole new engine optimization, it will not happen as we are talking a new low turbine that needs a new casing. See PW1100G low turbine PIP.

Lightsaber

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:39 pm
by 747classic
L/N 1587 C/N 65800 B777-9 N779XZ BOEING COMPANY (WH004), Everett factory, May 10th 2019

Image

777-9 fatigue test airplane WY987 on the 40-51 apron, Paine Field, May 10th 2019

Image

WY987 will be moved to the west parking lot Saturday morning May 11th, then down Perimeter Road to the 40-41 fatigue test structure.

Fatigue Test structure, awaiting test frame WY987.

Image

Image

All pictures Original uploaded by Matt Cawby at twitter, see : https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/11 ... 5995669504 and : https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/11 ... 0245475328

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:42 pm
by 777222LR
Man, I really want to see those wingtips unfolded already!

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:04 pm
by TropicalSky
Will the fatigue test be conducted outside?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:13 pm
by Spetsnaz55
TropicalSky wrote:
Will the fatigue test be conducted outside?



Cam you not see that the fatigue test frame is sitting permanently outside?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:56 pm
by 7BOEING7
Most if not all of the fatigue tests are/ were conducted outside. The static test is always inside.

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:39 am
by AirCal737
Any idea on when these wingtips will be lowered for the first time?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 am
by 747classic
777-9 Test frame WY987 has arrived at the 40-41 Fatigue Test facility, KPAE, May 13th 2019

Image

Image

Original uploaded by Matt Cawby at twitter, see : https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/11 ... 0130899973

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 pm
by zanl188
Does Boeing build a new fatigue test rig for every new aircraft? Or is it reconfigured and reused?

Re: Boeing 777X Testing Thread - 2019

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:13 pm
by musman9853
getting 154 flashbacks