atcsundevil
Topic Author

South Florida Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:14 am

Please continue from last year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1383125

Miami

Re: South Florida Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:45 am

Anyways...

Happy New Year, everyone. Hope you all have a great 2019!

What are some of your predictions for South Florida aviation in 2019?

Best regards,
- Miami
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Miami

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:25 am

Heard several people predicting Emirates moving to MIA from FLL. Is 2019 the year it will happen? Or will it ever happen?
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:15 am

A few predictions:

1- We finally see Miami to the Far East. Whether it's NRT, HKG or some other point I am not sure.
2- Southwest draws down FLL substantially, shifting much of the international flying to HOU or BWI. Many domestic routes are axed also or frequency reduced. This does not happen if B6 encounters serious financial issues, but barring that I am fairly certain WN will begin to retreat from FLL.
3- AA begins another MIA-Europe route. It'll be seasonal. Manchester or Rome would be my best guesses.
4- NK continues to grow at FLL - rumors of flights and priorities shifting to MCO are overblown.

jplatts

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:26 am

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
A few predictions:

2- Southwest draws down FLL substantially, shifting much of the international flying to HOU or BWI. Many domestic routes are axed also or frequency reduced. This does not happen if B6 encounters serious financial issues, but barring that I am fairly certain WN will begin to retreat from FLL.

WN actually has more market share on domestic air travel in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale market than any of its LCC or ULCC competitors.

There are a few more routes that could be added by WN at FLL such as FLL-CVG, FLL-CLE, FLL-SDF, FLL-OMA, and FLL-SAN. B6 and NK do not currently serve CVG, SDF, and OMA, and there is also currently no nonstop service to FLL from OMA. WN had also said that it was already considering adding nonstop service to FLL from CLE, even though B6, NK, and UA all already serve FLL nonstop from CLE.

WN also could extend FLL-MKE nonstop service to year-round nonstop service since WN is currently the only airline to have nonstop service to South Florida from MKE, since there is currently no year-round nonstop service to South Florida from MKE, and since neither B6 nor NK currently serve MKE.

FLL is a much better connecting point than HOU or BWI are for international connections to the Caribbean from the Midwest and Southeast. PHL also lacks nonstop service to BWI on WN due to BWI being too close to PHL, so WN needs to use ATL, MCO, or FLL for international connections from PHL.

WN also could add more nonstop international routes out of MCO since (a) MCO is a much bigger WN station than FLL is, (b) WN has nonstop service to MCO from destinations that don't have nonstop service to FLL on WN, and (c) MCO is a much better option than HOU or BWI are for international connections from the Midwest, Southeast, NYC, and Philly.

Miami

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:05 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
1- We finally see Miami to the Far East. Whether it's NRT, HKG or some other point I am not sure.

I hope 2019 is the year. MIA has been pushing hard for it. I'm predicting JAL to NRT on the A350-900.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
3- AA begins another MIA-Europe route. It'll be seasonal. Manchester or Rome would be my best guesses.

MIA-MAN would be interesting. We use to have flights with Thomas Cook but they just pulled out without warning.

Brickell305

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:38 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
A few predictions:

4- NK continues to grow at FLL - rumors of flights and priorities shifting to MCO are overblown.

I don't see NK withdrawing from FLL any time soon. They have a strong domestic presence and FLL is by far their best bet for their international ops which are mainly Caribbean destinations. If anything I think WN's presence in the FLL international markets will only strengthen with added experience and stronger brand awareness.

Miami

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:51 pm

Miami International Airport To Spend $1.45 Billion Over The Next Three Years On Improvements:
https://www.thenextmiami.com/miami-inte ... rovements/

DobboDobbo

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:12 pm

Miami wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

I hope 2019 is the year. MIA has been pushing hard for it. I'm predicting JAL to NRT on the A350-900.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

MIA-MAN would be interesting. We use to have flights with Thomas Cook but they just pulled out without warning.

I’d not expect AA to launch MIA-MAN.

If anyone does (and it’s a long shot IMHO) it is most likely to be VS.

njdevilsin03

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:39 pm

Why does it seem like everytime FLL and MIA are in one thread the majority always wants to see Miami take all of FLLs service? Why can’t it ever be FLL has had a good run lately let’s see if they can keep it up and potential new services for them. Everypost is which airline will jump ship for MIA next it seems... smh
717, 727, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 753, 762, 763, 777, DC9, MD80, DC10, L1011, ERJ, CRJ, ATR, DH8, A300,

Miami

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:29 am

njdevilsin03 wrote:
the majority always wants to see Miami take all of FLLs service?

It's not just what people want. It's what's happening.. Norwegian, Sunwing and Volaris made the jump. Frontier did at one point as well but back at FLL with some flights.

Miami

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:30 am

Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport traffic highlights for November 2018:

Passengers: 3.0 million, +9.0% year-on-year;
- Domestic: 2.3 million, +7.5%;
- International: 692,982, +14.1%;

Cargo: 10,179 tons, +0.1%;
- Freight: 10,130 tons, +0.2%;
- Mail: 49 tons, -14.0%;

Aircraft movements: 28,084, +6.2%

synanthropic

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:44 pm

njdevilsin03 wrote:
Why does it seem like everytime FLL and MIA are in one thread the majority always wants to see Miami take all of FLLs service? Why can’t it ever be FLL has had a good run lately let’s see if they can keep it up and potential new services for them. Everypost is which airline will jump ship for MIA next it seems... smh

I'm probably one of the few people who sort of view both of these airports as 'two arms of one area'. This probably has to do with the fact that I live a very easy drive to both airports (in the Western Suburbs), with very little vehicle traffic to get to either. For me, I don't see these as competing airports; I view it more as having a large variety of destinations to pick from with an easy drive. I fly internationally about 6x a year and domestic about 2x a month; with Automated Passport Control, Global Entry, Pre-Check, Variety of flight times and Lounge Access, I view flying out of the South Florida area as a true pleasure with very little wait times. I am happy when either of these airports can attract and retain routes. There are some routes I prefer to fly FLL and some routes I prefer to fly MIA.

We did FLL - Oslo - Longyearbyen last year and it was a beautifully easy trip with a short layover in Oslo. The flight was priced wonderfully and it was amazing to think how we were able to get to Svalbard with just one short layover stop from South Florida. Either way, I believe the entire South Florida area benefits when either of these major airports continues to grow! That said, I do recognize that there are "fans" of each airport, often on quite opposing sides ;)

Brickell305

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:54 am

synanthropic wrote:
njdevilsin03 wrote:

I'm probably one of the few people who sort of view both of these airports as 'two arms of one area'. This probably has to do with the fact that I live a very easy drive to both airports (in the Western Suburbs), with very little vehicle traffic to get to either. For me, I don't see these as competing airports; I view it more as having a large variety of destinations to pick from with an easy drive. I fly internationally about 6x a year and domestic about 2x a month; with Automated Passport Control, Global Entry, Pre-Check, Variety of flight times and Lounge Access, I view flying out of the South Florida area as a true pleasure with very little wait times. I am happy when either of these airports can attract and retain routes. There are some routes I prefer to fly FLL and some routes I prefer to fly MIA.

We did FLL - Oslo - Longyearbyen last year and it was a beautifully easy trip with a short layover in Oslo. The flight was priced wonderfully and it was amazing to think how we were able to get to Svalbard with just one short layover stop from South Florida. Either way, I believe the entire South Florida area benefits when either of these major airports continues to grow! That said, I do recognize that there are "fans" of each airport, often on quite opposing sides ;)

I live in downtown Miami and feel the same way. The more traffic both airports can sustain, the better. I prefer flying in/out of MIA due to proximity but unique, more convenient or cheaper flights out of FLL are a draw when available.

Miami

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:59 pm

"From the weekend before Christmas Day through Three Kings Day on January 6, Miami International Airport welcomed 2.48 million passengers – its highest number ever during the 17-day holiday travel period, and an increase of 117,000 over 2017. MIA also set its all-time-high for passengers in a single day, eclipsing 160,000 for the first time ever on Saturday, December 22."

https://news.miami-airport.com/mia-kick ... ay-travel/

Miami

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 pm

TAP Air Portugal's A330-900neo debut to Miami remains unchanged on March 1, 2019.

Miami

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:29 am

Miami International Airport traffic highlights for November 2018:

Passengers: 3.8 million, +3.8% year-on-year;
- Domestic: 1.9 million, +3.1%;
- International: 1.8 million, +4.6%;

Cargo: 215,322 tons, +1.4%;
- Domestic: 39,659 tons, +9.2%;
- International: 175,664 tons, -0.2%;

Aircraft movements: 33,844, -2.5%;
- Domestic: 17,971, -5.3%;
- International: 15,873, +0.9%.

Miami

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 am

Corsair will soon give MIA more flights to the City of Lights:
https://news.miami-airport.com/corsair- ... of-lights/

OB1504

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:42 am

MIA will be partially closing Concourse G this weekend as a result of the government shutdown causing TSA staffing shortages.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... 60800.html

Miamiairport

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:53 pm

G doesn't get used much. I think some UA flights (and some I think also go out of H) and occasional Swift flights.

Miami

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:21 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
G doesn't get used much. I think some UA flights (and some I think also go out of H) and occasional Swift flights.

Almost all LCCs are at G as well as United.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 pm

OB1504 wrote:
MIA will be partially closing Concourse G this weekend as a result of the government shutdown causing TSA staffing shortages.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... 60800.html

I am flying out of MIA today and expect this to become a regular feature at many airports (including FLL and PBI) unless this shutdown is dealt with. Not being political here but this isn't good for aviation or public safety.

Brickell305

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Miamiairport wrote:

There are some LCC & Caribbean carriers that use G as well.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
synanthropic wrote:
njdevilsin03 wrote:

I live in downtown Miami and feel the same way. The more traffic both airports can sustain, the better. I prefer flying in/out of MIA due to proximity but unique, more convenient or cheaper flights out of FLL are a draw when available.

Me too. I am easily able to get to both airports and I like you see them as two arms of one region. It doesn't matter much to me which airport gets what service, I just want the option to fly from either airport to wherever. I don't want to see airlines abandon South Florida service. Though I must admit I do worry NK success at FLL particularly to international destinations might chase away or scare away airlines. But other than that perhaps ill-founded worry, things are going well at both FLL and MIA.

727LOVER

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Miami wrote:
TAP Air Portugal's A330-900neo debut to Miami remains unchanged on March 1, 2019.

Is this DAILY? That's around the time I will be down there. I'd like to see it.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Miami

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:11 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Miami wrote:

Is this DAILY? That's around the time I will be down there. I'd like to see it.

Yes.

JFKCMILAXFLL

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Looking at fr24.com, it seems that DY is once again running a Dreamliner (789) seven days a week on flights 7043/7044 from LGW. For awhile, they were using a Wamos Air A-330 every day except Saturday. Not sure if that was holiday related. I also wondered how the Saturday DY crews got to or from LGW, deadhead on a Wamos flight?

OB1504

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:30 pm

Miami wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

MIA really only has two LCCs: Frontier and Sun Country. Other users of the concourse are Aruba Airlines, Bahamasair, Flair, and Sunwing. Swift flights have been only departing from E and F recently.

Per the Miami Herald, only 12 flights will be affected and they can be accommodated in F, H, and/or J as necessary.

Miami

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:45 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Miami wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

MIA really only has two LCCs: Frontier and Sun Country. Other users of the concourse are Aruba Airlines, Bahamasair, Flair, and Sunwing. Swift flights have been only departing from E and F recently.

Per the Miami Herald, only 12 flights will be affected and they can be accommodated in F, H, and/or J as necessary.

Aruba is using G today.

Miami

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Avianca Brasil to end MIA service eff. March 31, 2019.

Miami

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:36 pm

MIA surpassed 45 million passengers in 2018 for first time:
https://news.miami-airport.com/mia-surp ... irst-time/

Miami

Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Starting June 6, 2019; American Airlines will be operating the 737 MAX 8 on one of two daily flights from Miami to Seattle.

AA2194 MIA0831 – 1158SEA 7M8 D
AA2194 SEA1258 – 2200MIA 7M8 D

Miami

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:21 pm

FLL reached 36M passengers in 2018.

Miami

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Fort Myers Southwest Florida International Airport experienced its busiest December on record, handling 958,717 passengers in December 2018, a 9.8% increase year-on-year.

Miami

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:23 pm

Fort Myers Southwest Florida International Airport traffic highlights for December 2018:
Passengers: 958,717, +9.8% year-on-year;
Cargo: 1443 tonnes, -7.7%;

In 2018: Passengers: 9.4 million, +6.0%; Cargo: 14,730 tonnes, -0.8%.

Miami

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:08 am

Between May 3, 2019 and June 5, 2019, American Airlines to place 737 MAX 8 on additional international routes from Miami: Caracas, Grand Cayman, Guayaquil, Managua, Maracaibo, Port-au-Prince.

Miami

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:24 pm

MIA To Add Connection Between Concourse E And F: https://www.thenextmiami.com/miami-inte ... e-e-and-f/

miaami

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Miami wrote:
MIA To Add Connection Between Concourse E And F: https://www.thenextmiami.com/miami-inte ... e-e-and-f/

Interesting that they mention posibble AA expansion to terminal F. Those are going to be some very long walks for people making connections if it's true. Lately AA has been trimming more than expanding at MIA, not sure additional gates at terminal F are even needed.

Miami

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:24 pm

1 missing, 1 rescued after small plane crashes about 12 miles off Bay Harbor Islands: https://wsvn.com/news/local/1-missing-1 ... r-islands/

Miami

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Here’s How Miami International Airport Is Spending $1.45B On Capital Improvements:

- Concourse E (Central Terminal) renovations – including new passenger loading bridges, renovated third level international arrivals corridor, a Concourse E-Concourse F post-security connector, a renovated passport clearance facility (already completed) and Concourse E-Satellite people mover system (already completed)
- Renovated South Terminal-Central Terminal baggage handling system
- Concourse H roof work
- New North and Central Terminal passenger loading bridges
- Miscellaneous projects such as taxiway renovations, a new Airport Operations Center area, a new employee parking garage, and renovated Central Terminal ticket counters

https://www.thenextmiami.com/heres-how- ... rovements/

MAH4546

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:50 pm

miaami wrote:
Miami wrote:

Interesting that they mention posibble AA expansion to terminal F. Those are going to be some very long walks for people making connections if it's true. Lately AA has been trimming more than expanding at MIA, not sure additional gates at terminal F are even needed.

AA ended FY2018 with a 2.6% increase in mainline traffic and a 14.6% increase in Eagle traffic. That's not trimming.
a.

Geminijets101

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:44 am

What do you think the next airline or route will be announced for MIA? I think PDX-MIA is just around the corner with SY.
Cíao

Miami

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 am

Geminijets101 wrote:
What do you think the next airline or route will be announced for MIA? I think PDX-MIA is just around the corner with SY.

Why would it be Sun Country?

winginit

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:04 am

Geminijets101 wrote:

That would surprise me. PDX-MIA would by SY's longest flight in their system.

jbpdx

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:43 am

winginit wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:

Also wouldn’t offer any connection opportunities to the Caribbean and South America, which AA and B6 have. But if they continue to resist, who knows.

rainaviation2

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:56 am

Miami wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:

Why would it be Sun Country?

Because SY is building up a base in PDX and there is no MIA-PDX route. SY tried PDX-MCO but we have yet to see if that will continue this summer or not.

rainaviation2

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:04 am

winginit wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:

Actually, SY has many routes that are over the PDX-MIA flight time which would be about 5 hours. MSP-AUA, PDX-HNL, MSP-SKB are all consistently over 5 hours.

Geminijets101

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:20 am

Maybe AA will pick it up or B6 with FLL.
Cíao

winginit

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:19 am

rainaviation2 wrote:
winginit wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:

Actually, SY has many routes that are over the PDX-MIA flight time which would be about 5 hours. MSP-AUA, PDX-HNL, MSP-SKB are all consistently over 5 hours.

Mileage seems a more suitable metric than block time don't you think?

PDX-MIA: 2,697
MSP-AUA: 2,618
PDX-HNL: 2,603
MSP-SKB: 2,593

Geminijets101

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:09 pm

winginit wrote:
rainaviation2 wrote:
winginit wrote:

Mileage seems a more suitable metric than block time don't you think?

PDX-MIA: 2,697
MSP-AUA: 2,618
PDX-HNL: 2,603
MSP-SKB: 2,593

It’s still pretty close to the others. I’m hoping they would do it
Cíao

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos