HP69

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Should UA start some nonhub - tourist island flights?

LimaFoxTango

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:20 am

gunnerman wrote:
I have read that the Barbados PM Mia Mottley instructed the Director of Civil Aviation to have this aircraft registered despite objection from the DCA which has no resources to provide oversight for this aircraft. This was done and the registration was 8P-ERI. It's a mystery who had the clout to get this done.

I now understand their lone Saab 340 has also been registered in BGI. Not sure what their plan is, but they're not going to get very far under BGI regulations.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

N292UX

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 am

HP69 wrote:
Should UA start some nonhub - tourist island flights?

I highly doubt it. UA already has an aircraft shortage at the moment due to the MAX situation, so they aren't exactly in a position where the they add a bunch of flights. Plus, I'd say if anyone would do those types of flights, it'd probably be some ULCCs like G4, F9, and NK. UA just isn't in a position to be adding a lot of new mainline flights at the moment.

caribny

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:10 pm

I wonder what Caribbean destination he proposes. Most from the DR are light and best served by small carriers like Sky High, Air Century and Inter Caribbean.

I have noted a tendency for some Dominican elites to exaggerate the importance of DR within the context of the rest of the Caribbean. It isnt important aside from the fact that Dominicans have fled to many of these islands and so some small VFR opportunities have arisen. DR is integrated into PR and Haiti and that is it.

dabpit

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:20 pm

gunnerman wrote:
'Flycana has identified a number of US destinations with sizeable Dominican communities which currently lack nonstop services'
Don't be shy, name them. And US carriers fly to SDQ from JFK, EWR, BOS, PHL, CLT, MIA, MCO, FLL and ATL, so what's missing?

From Flycana's website:
From the map appears places of "interest" in the US are: BOS, EWR/JFK, PHL, BWI, IAD, ORD, ATL, MCO, TPA, FLL/MIA, MSY, IAH, DEN, SAN, and ELP.
Carpe Diem

gunnerman

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:10 pm

If flycana is to survive it's network map needs to remain what it is - a map.

windian425

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Looks like BGI, GEO, CAY, POS and BDA are also on this map

chepos

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:50 pm

If FlyCana takes off it most probably will fly to SJU, MIA and maybe NYC. At that point we will see it they make it past a year. Aeromar. Air Santo Domingo, PAWA, Lan Dominicana all had lofty ambitions as well. It is very hard to take this airline seriously with that proposed route map.SDQ-ELP, GEO, etc, really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

caribny

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:37 pm

chepos wrote:
If FlyCana takes off it most probably will fly to SJU, MIA and maybe NYC. At that point we will see it they make it past a year. Aeromar. Air Santo Domingo, PAWA, Lan Dominicana all had lofty ambitions as well. It is very hard to take this airline seriously with that proposed route map.SDQ-ELP, GEO, etc, really?

Yes core VFR routes are best. Many Dominicans might be inclined to support a national carrier if they don't provide the crappy service that PAWA did (see Tripadvisor). I see SJU, MIA, JFK and a few other US cities. This summer there are over 40 daily flights between the DR and the NY area so JFK might be even more important that MIA. Maybe MAD given the large Dominican population there.

A few major Latin cities as it might be easier to snatch leisure travel from the mainly legacy carriers in those markets. I don't know if Latin leisure travel is as vertically integrated as that out of Europe/Canada. The Euros use their own tour carriers given the high vertical integration with their leisure travel so Flycana can forget about that unless they offer really knock down rates.

I guess another key will be where do people who live in the DR travel to. The DR is large enough to generate its own outbound travel, not just relying on inbound leisure or VFR travel.

But I just love all of those Mexican cities though. Shows great imagination. I think that someone thinks that SDQ is PTY and they can create a new COPA.

These Dominican elites over estimate the importance of the DR.

maverick4002

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:58 am

I'm on Flight Aware and I see BW has a flight on its way to JFK from St. Vincent? How long has this flight been operating? Does anyone know of its performance?

Brickell305

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:11 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
I'm on Flight Aware and I see BW has a flight on its way to JFK from St. Vincent? How long has this flight been operating? Does anyone know of its performance?

Since March 14, 2018. It fluctuates between once and twice a week depending on the time of the year. No idea on the route performance.

Brickell305

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:25 pm

B6 will increase JFK-ANU to 5x weekly, up from 3x weekly.

https://www.caribjournal.com/2019/08/19 ... p-flights/

gunnerman

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Puerto Rico wants to transform its international airports into centrally located hubs for air passengers and cargo flowing between Europe and Latin America
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/analysis-puerto-rico-advances-effort-to-establish-c-460359/

SJU never recovered from AA's dehubbing (which had peaked in 2001 with 16 mainland destinations and seven Caribbean) and the complete withdrawal of American Eagle in March 2013 after 27 years of operation.

HIA350

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:18 pm

caribny wrote:
chepos wrote:

Yes core VFR routes are best. Many Dominicans might be inclined to support a national carrier if they don't provide the crappy service that PAWA did (see Tripadvisor). I see SJU, MIA, JFK and a few other US cities. This summer there are over 40 daily flights between the DR and the NY area so JFK might be even more important that MIA. Maybe MAD given the large Dominican population there.

A few major Latin cities as it might be easier to snatch leisure travel from the mainly legacy carriers in those markets. I don't know if Latin leisure travel is as vertically integrated as that out of Europe/Canada. The Euros use their own tour carriers given the high vertical integration with their leisure travel so Flycana can forget about that unless they offer really knock down rates.

I guess another key will be where do people who live in the DR travel to. The DR is large enough to generate its own outbound travel, not just relying on inbound leisure or VFR travel.

But I just love all of those Mexican cities though. Shows great imagination. I think that someone thinks that SDQ is PTY and they can create a new COPA.

he problem is with my DR too much taxes, around 138 or more the government is too corrupted, they wanna fly for free so no national airlines will survive they have to charge similar to that the big boys charge but they can't provide the same service and there is no tax break to local airlines, i hear from a source that worked for aerodom that b6, aa, ua, copa and other don't pay them for a whole year and they let them operate, PAWA didn't pay for 3 months and it was gone, i don't think flycana wil make it unless govement changes

caribbean484

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:29 pm

CAL will start KIN-GCM Oct 29th
Caribbean Airlines resumes Kingston – Grand Cayman service from late-Oct 2019
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2019/

Hearing that so far POS-CUR is done very well.
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:41 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Puerto Rico wants to transform its international airports into centrally located hubs for air passengers and cargo flowing between Europe and Latin America
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/analysis-puerto-rico-advances-effort-to-establish-c-460359/

SJU never recovered from AA's dehubbing (which had peaked in 2001 with 16 mainland destinations and seven Caribbean) and the complete withdrawal of American Eagle in March 2013 after 27 years of operation.

Ok but which airline is willing to hub there? PR has been in a economic downturn since the early 2000's, I'm not sure what airline will want to hub there again, less so a foreign airline.

HIA350 wrote:
caribny wrote:
chepos wrote:

he problem is with my DR too much taxes, around 138 or more the government is too corrupted, they wanna fly for free so no national airlines will survive they have to charge similar to that the big boys charge but they can't provide the same service and there is no tax break to local airlines, i hear from a source that worked for aerodom that b6, aa, ua, copa and other don't pay them for a whole year and they let them operate, PAWA didn't pay for 3 months and it was gone, i don't think flycana wil make it unless govement changes

That really interesting, I always wondered why the DR does not have at least 1 national airline, so this might be one of the reasons. SDQ has a large NYC and Florida expat population where at least some flights can make money from local ventures.
All ah we is one family

Brickell305

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:05 pm

gunnerman wrote:

Someone in SJU is smoking something pretty strong if they think this will become a reality. Why would airlines stop in SJU in between Europe/Latin America when they can just fly to those places nonstop? Of the larger Spanish Caribbean countries (PR, DR, Cuba), Puerto Rico has the least traffic to Europe and the least to Latin America. This makes entirely no sense.

Brickell305

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Ok but which airline is willing to hub there? PR has been in a economic downturn since the early 2000's, I'm not sure what airline will want to hub there again, less so a foreign airline.

HIA350 wrote:
caribny wrote:

That really interesting, I always wondered why the DR does not have at least 1 national airline, so this might be one of the reasons. SDQ has a large NYC and Florida expat population where at least some flights can make money from local ventures.

The problem with a DR national airline is a similar one to a Jamaican national airline. They are both relatively close geographically to the US so it's not a major time investment for US airlines to schedule flights there. For the tourism destinations (PUJ, MBJ) the overwhelming majority of passengers are US originating leisure travelers so US airlines have a significant structural advantage there. For the VFR destinations (SDQ, STI, KIN), the largest VFR markets (NYC, So. Fla, etc.) also happen to be where the major US airlines have their hubs. They can easily fill the demand for those markets from said hubs. Both islands have outbound traffic demand that is very US-centric and is also centered around those US hub destinations. As for KIN, there is some regional demand that could be filled by a local carrier but for SDQ, their primary regional destination happens to be SJU (a US Commonwealth) which therefore has all the same structural disadvantages that the mainland US has for a local carrier.

baje427

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:59 am

Is there even a need for a DR national airline ? The country is pretty well covered with airlift it's hard for a local carrier to compete same goes for Jamaica.

gunnerman

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:29 am

The case of Malév, the flag carrier of Hungary from 1946 until its demise in 2012, is instructive. When it failed with debts of US$270.5m BUD was badly hit but recovered 95 percent of capacity within eight months from foreign carriers. Privately-owned Wizz Air also grew rapidly after 2012. So, you don't need a national carrier which too often soaks up taxpayer money and distorts the market.

caribny

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:28 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Someone in SJU is smoking something pretty strong if they think this will become a reality. Why would airlines stop in SJU in between Europe/Latin America when they can just fly to those places nonstop? Of the larger Spanish Caribbean countries (PR, DR, Cuba), Puerto Rico has the least traffic to Europe and the least to Latin America. This makes entirely no sense.

I wonder when someone in SJU will learn that people prefer to move passengers and cargo in a straight line instead of through a hub. The latter only is needed when traffic between 2 points doesnt justify direct service.

SJU needs to reconcile itself that it is an O&D market with some hub activity to the US/BVI and a few smaller islands like SBH and AXA. Why will someone traveling between Colombia and Spain operate via SJU?

caribny

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:36 pm

baje427 wrote:
Is there even a need for a DR national airline ? The country is pretty well covered with airlift it's hard for a local carrier to compete same goes for Jamaica.

DR doesnt have to have a national carrier however there is nothing wrong if a private carrier starts operations. The market is large enough. That is if the market wants it The fantasy will be when folks think that such a carrier can compete into the leisure market.

Given that these markets are well served no need for a state owned carrier. I will not suggest that KX doesnt serve a need for GCM. Its a smaller market so can be overlooked as GCM discovered after Hugo hit when the majors pulled out.

Zidane

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:30 pm

BA to increase UVF from 7 to 9 weekly, MCO and LAS to be reduced to facilitate this. http://www.loopslu.com/content/british- ... t-st-lucia
United to launch EWR/CUR route.
https://www.caribjournal.com/2019/08/22 ... s-nonstop/

aa1818

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Zidane wrote:
BA to increase UVF from 7 to 9 weekly, MCO and LAS to be reduced to facilitate this. http://www.loopslu.com/content/british- ... t-st-lucia

Are any of the current 7 UVF flights terminating in UVF or do they all continue on to somewhere else?
I believe 4 of the flights continue to POS. Where do the other 3 continue to? Any idea if the additional 2 will continue also?
Cheers,
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

Zidane

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:46 pm

aa1818 wrote:
Zidane wrote:

Are any of the current 7 UVF flights terminating in UVF or do they all continue on to somewhere else?
I believe 4 of the flights continue to POS. Where do the other 3 continue to? Any idea if the additional 2 will continue also?
Cheers,
AA1818

They all continue elsewhere. Yes, 4 continue to POS and 3 to GND. All with cabotage rights. No specifics if these new additions will terminate at UVF, news is still fresh.

gunnerman

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:37 pm

The year-round schedule is maintained; five to POS, two to GND. The extra flights to UVF start on Saturday 4 July and Tuesday 7 July and are terminators. BTW, there is no First cabin on the extra flights.

A388

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:17 am

Zidane wrote:

Where does it say that BA will increase UVF by reducing MCO and LAS? Can't find this anywhere in the article. I find this also very hard to believe. MCO and LAS are way more import to BA than any island.

Good news for us that we are getting UA back.

A388

Brickell305

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:24 am

AA is adding seasonal weekly BOS-GCM.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -jan-2020/

As A388 pointed out, UA is starting weekly EWR-CUR.

Brickell305

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:27 am

A388 wrote:
Zidane wrote:

Where does it say that BA will increase UVF by reducing MCO and LAS? Can't find this anywhere in the article. I find this also very hard to believe. MCO and LAS are way more import to BA than any island.

Good news for us that we are getting UA back.

A388

While I definitely don’t doubt the importance of both destinations for BA, they face significantly less competition to the Caribbean and unlike LAS (specifically out of LGW. They also serve it from LHR) and MCO, they probably consistently perform well in premium cabins to UVF.

chepos

Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:43 am

gunnerman wrote:

That ship sailed, PR is not going to be a hub for anyone. SJU is lucky to have the amount of flights it has. Some of my fellow Ricans are under the very incorrect notion we are the belly button of the world. The economy is depressed, the population is aging, a massive brain drain and a decreasing population. Not a recipe for anyone to set up shop and rebuild the SJU hub.

Fly the Flag!!!!

2travel2know2

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:40 pm

chepos wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

That ship sailed, PR is not going to be a hub for anyone. SJU is lucky to have the amount of flights it has. Some of my fellow Ricans are under the very incorrect notion we are the belly button of the world. The economy is depressed, the population is aging, a massive brain drain and a decreasing population. Not a recipe for anyone to set up shop and rebuild the SJU hub.
1st SJU must get US Homeland Security to allow TWOV transfers at SJU.
The only US airport to still have it is ANC and passenger airlines hardy use it, I believe not even GUM has it.
Good luck with that.

As for international flights, other than regional flights from SJU to the nearest islands (D.R., Turk & Caicos, B.V.I, SXM/ANU and others) plus perhaps CCS/MAR, AUA/CUR, POS (!?) and CM's hub PTY thrice daily, SJU should consider itself lucky to get a MAD (or Canary Islands, if within narrow-body range) flight and some weekly European even Canadian seasonal comercial or charter tied to cruise holidays programmes.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

chepos

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:46 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
chepos wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

1st SJU must get US Homeland Security to allow TWOV transfers at SJU.
The only US airport to still have it is ANC and passenger airlines hardy use it, I believe not even GUM has it.
Good luck with that.

As for international flights, other than regional flights from SJU to the nearest islands (D.R., Turk & Caicos, B.V.I, SXM/ANU and others) plus perhaps CCS/MAR, AUA/CUR, POS (!?) and CM's hub PTY thrice daily, SJU should consider itself lucky to get a MAD (or Canary Islands, if within narrow-body range) flight and some weekly European even Canadian seasonal comercial or charter tied to cruise holidays programmes.

SJU currently has a BOG flight as well.

Fly the Flag!!!!

caribbean484

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

HIA350 wrote:

The problem with a DR national airline is a similar one to a Jamaican national airline. They are both relatively close geographically to the US so it's not a major time investment for US airlines to schedule flights there. For the tourism destinations (PUJ, MBJ) the overwhelming majority of passengers are US originating leisure travelers so US airlines have a significant structural advantage there. For the VFR destinations (SDQ, STI, KIN), the largest VFR markets (NYC, So. Fla, etc.) also happen to be where the major US airlines have their hubs. They can easily fill the demand for those markets from said hubs. Both islands have outbound traffic demand that is very US-centric and is also centered around those US hub destinations. As for KIN, there is some regional demand that could be filled by a local carrier but for SDQ, their primary regional destination happens to be SJU (a US Commonwealth) which therefore has all the same structural disadvantages that the mainland US has for a local carrier.

I may not have been articulate with this; I don't mean government run airline, rather private investors in DR starting an airline and capturing a market that is relatively large. Mostly servicing the VFR community, but the problem seem to be these grandiose expansion plans rather than slow and methodological. The problem with some of these guys is they want to grow way to quick or poor business planning and analysis; like Insel, Redjet etc.
All ah we is one family

baje427

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Zidane wrote:

Makes sense with VS suspending service next year. Nice addition for CUR with the UA flight I wonder if B6 didn't start the EWR-BGI service if they would have returned to BGI.

gunnerman

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:20 pm

BA used to fly LGW-SJU-SJC and LGW-ANU-SJU, both weekly and both terminated. The market isn't there.

trintocan

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:07 am

BA increasing UVF to 9 weekly is not surprising and appeared to be the most logical outcome of the VS situation there. As mentioned, their present daily flights continue to POS 5 days per week (Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri and Sun) and to GND on Wed and Sat. BA offer First on most of these flights and this aspect may have tipped the balance towards UVF vs MCO and LAS. With regard to those two US markets, LAS also has LHR flights featuring First and increasingly it appears as if BA have upsold those services, which also allow for easy connections to other parts of their network. Out of LGW VS compete with them to LAS. MCO is perhaps VS' strongest LGW route so BA may have found it prudent to step back a little, especially given the weakness of the UK travel market at the moment. What one could probably see BA do is, if they shift another First-equipped 777 to LGW, they could have daily First to UVF and, with the frames freed from the reduced LAS and MCO services, maintain and increase seats in the other service classes to UVF - an aim assisted by the two extra flights being dedicated to St Lucia.

Well done to CUR on the new UA service to EWR, may it be a great success.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

danipawa

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:27 pm

caribny

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:24 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:

The only heavy traffic between SJU and the rest of the Caribbean is to the DR and the US/BVI. Even the other nearby islands struggle with a daily 34/48 seat. LIAT makes its 3x/w SJU route work by feeding in every country from GEO heading north, so clearly there isnt much. No nonstop service from POS to SJU, and even as BW looks to increase its regional routes SJU isnt being mentioned. They are looking at SDQ and have already added (or will add) HAV, CUR and GCM in recent years.

PR missed its opportunity to be a major commercial hub. Those statehooders always derided any connection between SJU and the rest of the hemisphere so MIA and now PTY have grabbed it. In the late 80s there were plans for SJU to be an alternate hub to MIA and when a statehood focused gov't took over these plans were dropped. Now imagine if SJU had some of what PTY now has, given its dire economic circumstance as various tax incentive policies ended drying up investment?

I keep on thinking that elites in PR remain ignorant of how isolated it is from the rest of the Caribbean. The rest of the Caribbean have forgotten that it exists, that is aside from its closest neighbors, the DR and US/BVI.. And now they turn to South America which needs them even less.

2travel2know2

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:40 pm

caribny wrote:
I keep on thinking that elites in PR remain ignorant of how isolated it is from the rest of the Caribbean. The rest of the Caribbean have forgotten that it exists, that is aside from its closest neighbors, the DR and US/BVI.. And now they turn to South America which needs them even less.
During the Venezuelan oil-boom years a large number of Puertoricans chose to emigrate to Venezuela and now many of those who did and their children/grandchildren have left Venezuela.
If Puerto Rico ever had a strong link with South America was with Venezuela and now there's no real chance of SJU-CCS, much less SJU-MAR ever happening in soon.
Bear in mind, SJU-CCS was one of AA last SJU hub routes to go.
Also, long before CM PTY hub, Puerto Rico had a very strong link with Panama, The U.S. Canal Zone among other connections, which still going on.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

leleko747

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:27 am

Any news about this incident at Argyle Int'l? Aircraft seem to be a Saab 340.

https://bit.ly/2zpKpCa
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

tphuang

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:18 am

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... nded-Range

JetBlue announces JFK-GEO officially. Starts right before Easter holidays.with A321NEO.

Schedule between New York (JFK) and Georgetown (GEO)

Beginning April 2, 2020

JFK - GEO Flight #1965

GEO - JFK Flight #1966

11:55 p.m. – 5:58 a.m. (+1)

7:20 a.m. – 1:09 p.m.

INFINITI329

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:32 am

tphuang wrote:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190910005718/en/JetBlue-Greets-Guyana-Latest-Route-Extended-Range

JetBlue announces JFK-GEO officially. Starts right before Easter holidays.with A321NEO.

Beginning April 2, 2020

JFK - GEO Flight #1965

GEO - JFK Flight #1966

Can only 321neo do this route full? or can the 320 and 321ceo as well?

LimaFoxTango

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 am

INFINITI329 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190910005718/en/JetBlue-Greets-Guyana-Latest-Route-Extended-Range

Beginning April 2, 2020

JFK - GEO Flight #1965

GEO - JFK Flight #1966

Can only 321neo do this route full? or can the 320 and 321ceo as well?

I've always heard the reason B6 took soo long to announce this route is the A32xx ceo's range is insufficient for this route. Also, they had to wait until the runway extension works in GEO are completed.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

windian425

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:37 pm

I predict a bloodbath on the JFK-GEO-JFK route next year with CAL, AA and now B6 operating a minimum of 21 - 24 weekly flights. Suspect that BW will reduce to 7 from 10 at a minimum.

SELMER40

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Please and thank you. When will TNCM/SXM be able to control aircraft using radar rules?
Teaching this old dog a new trick

baje427

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:45 pm

GEO is on a roll I suspect AC will be next there. BW will really face stiff competition come next year hopefully they have a plan.

caribny

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:59 pm

baje427 wrote:
GEO is on a roll I suspect AC will be next there. BW will really face stiff competition come next year hopefully they have a plan.

BW's plan for the GEO market has been to raise fares to astronomic levels just as the market gets competitive. B6 will take over this route just as they did JFK KIN. AA will drop out, or BW is in deep trouble. This was one of their most profitable routes because of high fares and yields.

jmdc861

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:48 pm

BW has been anticipating this for years. Have no doubt the plans are in place to deal with it!

caribny

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:35 pm

jmdc861 wrote:
BW has been anticipating this for years. Have no doubt the plans are in place to deal with it!

Then they need to make those plans known to the Guyanese traveling public. This year they have significantly increased fares that were already high. AA jumped in and adopted a high fare strategy so they continued with this.

Now B6 (already well regarded by the Caribbean VFR) will jump in with low fares, new planes and better IFE. I expect AA to bow out as I doubt that they will play airfares games with B6.

BW will have serious market repair to do. They have lost market goodwill I get the impression that the folks at Piarco have adopted a BWIA mentality thinking that GORTT will for ever sustain losses so that they can turn a deaf ear to the traveling public.

Their JFK KIN flights are more than 50% empty outside of the peaks as B6 has expanded and now DL has overtaken them. I forecast similar for their JFK GEO. I know they cannot go back to their previous JFK POS GEO service.

gunnerman

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 am

So, we'll have three flights from JFK to GEO:

BW527 at 0125
AA2896 at 1800
B61965 at 2355

Let the battle begin. As a small Caribbean carrier BW will find it hard going against the big boys.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos