Brickell305

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 am

gunnerman wrote:
So, we'll have three flights from JFK to GEO:

BW527 at 0125
AA2896 at 1800
B61965 at 2355

Let the battle begin. As a small Caribbean carrier BW will find it hard going against the big boys.

They better find a way to deal with it though because they can’t afford to shed a route like GEO-JFK. They already have to suffer the heavy competition on their KIN-USA routes that they likely can’t drop due to commitments made to the J’can government and KIN market. POS-NYC is now three carriers and six flights daily. AA also expands MIA-POS to three times daily during peaks. They are facing strong competition all around.

caribny

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:07 pm

gunnerman wrote:
So, we'll have three flights from JFK to GEO:

BW527 at 0125
AA2896 at 1800
B61965 at 2355

Let the battle begin. As a small Caribbean carrier BW will find it hard going against the big boys.

They have beaten off the big boys into POS so its not inevitable that they will succumb. In fact I suspect that AA will be the casualty on this route as if B6 introduces a low fare strategy (fares below $750) AA will not like that. Also that 1800 departure will not be popular with many people given its near midnight arrival in GEO.

caribny

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
] that they likely can’t drop due to commitments made to the J’can government and KIN market. POS-NYC is now three carriers and six flights daily. AA also expands MIA-POS to three times daily during peaks. They are facing strong competition all around.

The commitments were made when they were using the "Air Jamaica" brand. BW is already in breach as they were supposed to run 6 routes out of North America. If reduced yields on the JFK GEO seriously hurt BW a decision will have to be made and I bet that there has been conversation about the bleed on those Jamaican routes.

AAs 3x to POS is winter only, meaning Xmas and Carnival. In fact one can say that they have reduced their service as summer was now just 2x with a 738 rather than the A321 that they used to use.

trintocan

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:38 pm

I think that the grounding of the 737 MAX planes was a major reason behind AA reducing POS to 2 daily from 3 this summer. Remember that POS was a headline MAX route for the airline and the grounding left them scrambling to reshuffle craft to routes across the network. The third frequency thus became a victim of the cuts.

Somehow I would not write BW off in GEO yet, there are likely to be many Caribbean Miles members who would prefer to maintain their loyalty and earn rewards.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

GUYAIR707

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Adverts for B6 in the local media says $550 rtn and $320 o/w. Last price on BW was $850 rtn. AA was $750 geo-ewr rtn via Mia.

GUYAIR707

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 pm

trintocan wrote:
I think that the grounding of the 737 MAX planes was a major reason behind AA reducing POS to 2 daily from 3 this summer. Remember that POS was a headline MAX route for the airline and the grounding left them scrambling to reshuffle craft to routes across the network. The third frequency thus became a victim of the cuts.

Somehow I would not write BW off in GEO yet, there are likely to be many Caribbean Miles members who would prefer to maintain their loyalty and earn rewards.

Trintocan.

They held their own against DL when they did geo-jfk and the other charters out at that time, so yeah, don’t write them off.

303dk

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Intercaribbean announced EIS-STX and EIS-STT (again). If they actually start it this time, that might be the end of LIAT in the USVI.

LimaFoxTango

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:38 pm

303dk wrote:
Intercaribbean announced EIS-STX and EIS-STT (again). If they actually start it this time, that might be the end of LIAT in the USVI.

Don't write LI off the USVI just yet. LI's strong point is that it has the vast network that InterCaribbean does not have. There's even rumours that LI may restart STX.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

caribny

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:59 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
303dk wrote:

Don't write LI off the USVI just yet. LI's strong point is that it has the vast network that InterCaribbean does not have. There's even rumours that LI may restart STX.

Not sure why LI should be written off. Based on Trip Advisor reviews Inter Carib is even worse than LI which offers a nonstop flight to ANU from STT. Not sure about that STX thing though. I think more likely more flights to STT.

The gap that I see in the STT Eastern Caribbean route is to SKB. SKN has the largest OECS population in the USVI and yet only Air Sunshine serves that route. And that airline isn't for everybody. So end up using LI which is hard on the southbound with a lengthy wait in ANU.

303dk

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:13 pm

caribny wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:
303dk wrote:

Not sure why LI should be written off. Based on Trip Advisor reviews Inter Carib is even worse than LI which offers a nonstop flight to ANU from STT. Not sure about that STX thing though. I think more likely more flights to STT.

The gap that I see in the STT Eastern Caribbean route is to SKB. SKN has the largest OECS population in the USVI and yet only Air Sunshine serves that route. And that airline isn't for everybody. So end up using LI which is hard on the southbound with a lengthy wait in ANU.

The reality is that most of the VFR traffic from the USVI is only going to the DR and Dominica. For nearly anyone else, especially biz travelers, AA via MIA will cheaper and less hassle. The generation from most other OECS has been in the USVI for 25+ years. There’s not much connection left to drive air traffic.

caribny

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:52 pm

303dk wrote:
caribny wrote:
The reality is that most of the VFR traffic from the USVI is only going to the DR and Dominica. For nearly anyone else, especially biz travelers, AA via MIA will cheaper and less hassle. The generation from most other OECS has been in the USVI for 25+ years. There’s not much connection left to drive air traffic.

Is there something special about Dominicans why only they of the OECS travel back home? There are more SKN in the USVI then Dominicans. Source the 2010 census. I am not talking about the DR as it is to be understand that this is a very recent group.

From reports LIs STT route is doing well enough and if it wasn't LI would have scrapped it by now. LI doesnt properly serve Dominicans as they dont connect from DOM to STT, so it isnt Dominicans supporting that route. So the route is supported by people travelling to ANU, SLU, and SKB. I doubt that BGI and POS travel exists.

You make me laugh when you claim that its easier to get to SKB via MIA. I know that you have an anti LI bias but AA (at least its service to the Caribbean out of MIA) isnt that great either. Doesnt work for St Lucians either. So why travel all the way up and back down, especially when AAs fares into SKB can be quite fierce.

danipawa

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:01 am

Sky High Aviation Services is starting Santo Domingo-Medellin finally, first flight Nov 8, 2 weekly on ERJ145.

baje427

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:17 am

It appears Liat is in dire straits again with the negotiations between BGI and ANU not moving thusfar.

https://barbadostoday.bb/2019/09/19/bad-to-worse/

Caymanair

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:18 pm

caribny wrote:
303dk wrote:
caribny wrote:

You make me laugh when you claim that its easier to get to SKB via MIA. I know that you have an anti LI bias but AA (at least its service to the Caribbean out of MIA) isnt that great either. Doesnt work for St Lucians either. So why travel all the way up and back down, especially when AAs fares into SKB can be quite fierce.

It's not that far-fetched. There are many routes, especially East-West, where AA via Miami is the easiest and often cheapest option. GCM-KIN, KIN-PLS, GCM/KIN/MBJ/PAP-ANU/BGI/POS are all examples of pairings easiest via Miami even when non-stops exist.

caribny

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:42 pm

Caymanair wrote:
caribny wrote:
303dk wrote:

It's not that far-fetched. There are many routes, especially East-West, where AA via Miami is the easiest and often cheapest option. GCM-KIN, KIN-PLS, GCM/KIN/MBJ/PAP-ANU/BGI/POS are all examples of pairings easiest via Miami even when non-stops exist.

Flying to KIN via MIA from POS/BGI might make sense, providing of course that you have a US visa. There are people who do this, especially before BW added their nonstop KIN BGI flight.

Flying WITHIN the Eastern Caribbean via MIA doesnt. STT to POS costs the same with LI and AA and LI does it 3 hours faster. Normal people like to get on and off a plane ASAP. And that is the one trip where the MIA back track might have been worth it given how far south POS is.

If folks want to run up their AA FF miles that is OK. Not sure why one would prefer travelling to KIN from GCM via MIA for any other reason. Its neither cheaper nor easier. I am not of the impression that walking thru MIA is easier than connecting via ANU.

Until the US no longer requires international to international connections to have a US visa why anyone would want to do that is a mystery. That is unless the AA FF issue is their goal. I will suggest that PTY offers better options to places where CM flies than does MIA. A big chunk of the PAP/SDQ/SJU and maybe even some KIN/POS use that option. No visa required for intransit passengers.

caribny

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:57 pm

baje427 wrote:
It appears Liat is in dire straits again with the negotiations between BGI and ANU not moving thusfar.

https://barbadostoday.bb/2019/09/19/bad-to-worse/

Not sure that this is a bad for LI given that ANU had far fetched of sending LI to compete against AA with flights to SoFL. These gov'ts need to sharply reduce their taxes for intra Eastern Caribbean travel. The high fares is a main reason why travel within the region is much lower than it used to be.

Lots of the impulse travel that one used to see between neighboring islands ceases to make sense when flights are US$400. Fares of US$700 plus for travel between the northern and southern parts of LI's network is ridiculous. And this isnt LI's fault as they offer some very low fares if one books well in advance, but then taxes more than double these low fares.

Yes LI no doubt has its internal problems of inefficiency and incompetent management but at least if travel increases, so would loads and losses would drop.

Brickell305

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:07 pm

caribny wrote:
Caymanair wrote:
caribny wrote:

Flying to KIN via MIA from POS/BGI might make sense, providing of course that you have a US visa. There are people who do this, especially before BW added their nonstop KIN BGI flight.

Flying WITHIN the Eastern Caribbean via MIA doesnt. STT to POS costs the same with LI and AA and LI does it 3 hours faster. Normal people like to get on and off a plane ASAP. And that is the one trip where the MIA back track might have been worth it given how far south POS is.

If folks want to run up their AA FF miles that is OK. Not sure why one would prefer travelling to KIN from GCM via MIA for any other reason. Its neither cheaper nor easier. I am not of the impression that walking thru MIA is easier than connecting via ANU.

Until the US no longer requires international to international connections to have a US visa why anyone would want to do that is a mystery. That is unless the AA FF issue is their goal. I will suggest that PTY offers better options to places where CM flies than does MIA. A big chunk of the PAP/SDQ/SJU and maybe even some KIN/POS use that option. No visa required for intransit passengers.

I don’t think the visa is as much of an issue as is having to clear customs/immigration in Miami. Many Caribbean based travelers have US multi year, multiple use visas anyway as they also travel to the US itself. Even people who don’t travel to the US frequently tend to keep it up to date just in case. The biggest headache has always been the reconnection through Miami but with the updated kiosks even that has been improved somewhat. I agree with you though that people who don’t already have visas are highly unlikely to get one just to make those trips. However for those going Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean and vice versa, I’m not sure the subset of people without US visas is that high.

gunnerman

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:31 pm

In spite of LIAT's problems there is a plan to increase service to Dominica from 25 to 28 flights a week this winter.
https://dominicanewsonline.com/news/homepage/news/liat-to-increase-flights-into-dominica/

Brickell305

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:57 pm

gunnerman wrote:
In spite of LIAT's problems there is a plan to increase service to Dominica from 25 to 28 flights a week this winter.
https://dominicanewsonline.com/news/homepage/news/liat-to-increase-flights-into-dominica/

Is that just LI 364 now stopping in DOM every day instead of alternating with PTP? Basically, is it now just BGI-DOM-PTP-ANU on those three days?

LimaFoxTango

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Is that just LI 364 now stopping in DOM every day instead of alternating with PTP? Basically, is it now just BGI-DOM-PTP-ANU on those three days?

No, a new flight has been added in the afternoon.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

baje427

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:57 pm

With the imminent closure of TCX I wonder what steps destinations such as BGI and MBJ will take to cushion the lost capacity.

gunnerman

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 am

The situation now is very different to what it used to be. If Thomas Cook collapses, only Tui Airways will be left of the many holiday airlines we used to have in the days when the big four operators (TC, Thomson, First Choice and Airtours) had their own airlines plus others like Caledonian, Monarch and XL Airways. Of the scheduled carriers Air Jamaica, BWIA and British Midland are gone, so no more flights to Jamaica and the eastern Caribbean. There's a limit to how much capacity BA and VS will put into this region, and we've already seen that VS will axe St Lucia. Condor has Caribbean flights from FRA but who knows what will happen enxt year.

In short, it's hard to see how lost capacity from Europe can be replaced.

caribny

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:08 am

Brickell305 wrote:

I don’t think the visa is as much of an issue as is having to clear customs/immigration in Miami. Many Caribbean based travelers have US multi year, multiple use visas anyway as they also travel to the US itself. Even people who don’t travel to the US frequently tend to keep it up to date just in case. The biggest headache has always been the reconnection through Miami but with the updated kiosks even that has been improved somewhat. I agree with you though that people who don’t already have visas are highly unlikely to get one just to make those trips. However for those going Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean and vice versa, I’m not sure the subset of people without US visas is that high.

I am not sure that one can say that Jca E/C bound passengers are mainly the upper middle class types (business people or gov't officials) with multi entry visas. Given the difficulties that many J'cans have in their travels to the E/C this is a more diverse traveler than maybe it was 30 years ago. Jamaican populations do now exist in many of these islands, triggering levels of VFR travel. Shanique Myrie might be more of a norm than one would think.

Using the kiosks doesnt automatically mean that one doesnt have to join the line. Then especially in the summer many of the northbound AA flights are late, meaning that a 2 hour gap, which should be enough, suddenly becomes a race. Of course the infamous "waiting for an open gate". Aside from those who want to build their AA FF miles I just dont see how it is easier to fly KIN POS via MIA. Its approx. the same fare and 3 hours more (if all goes well).

For people traveling to MBJ, GCM and NAS I can see the advantage. For POS bound out of NAS its pre clearance so the hordes at MIA (CBP and TSA) you dont have to deal with. Even though BWs one stop is still more convenient, though more expensive. NAS to BGI will be easier on AA for those with multi entry visas.

danipawa

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:31 pm

Sky High new ERJ and new paint scheme landing at CUR: Larry Every photo

GUYAIR707

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Government of Guyana signed an air services agreement with Qatar Airways. The government is touting it as an indication that Qatar will begin flying to Guyana.

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/n ... ar-airways

gunnerman

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:19 pm

This is probably related to Qatar Petroleum's recent acquisition of stakes in Total's two oil and gas blocks offshore Guyana.

Balloonchaser

Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 pm

So just a few questions.. Maybe someone has the inside or knowledge..

So currently at SXM/TNCM, more and more flights are being reduced and the prices of tickets have increased significantly. Mainly with American.. But why cut/decrease a flight significantly? Why not fly the A319 over the B738/B752/B763?!

I know that TUI originally planned to come back to SXM sometime this year.. But we still haven’t heard much from them. Same with some other airlines that have been rumored to make an announcement (Sunwing Groups mass expansion to SXM - with their new exclusive resort, Spirit expansion, Russian Carrier, Norwegian, Virgin Atlantic, etc). Anyone have any information on what’s happening and what airlines might be waiting for to jump into the market again?

caribny

Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:11 am

Balloonchaser wrote:

So currently at SXM/TNCM, more and more flights are being reduced and the prices of tickets have increased significantly. Mainly with American.. But why cut/decrease a flight significantly? Why not fly the A319 over the B738/B752/B763?!

?

Are these reductions programmed for Dec/March? The current period is the soft season so its no shock that flights are pulled down, especially given the continued MAX fiasco. Reduced flights for the busy winter season would be more significant, given that SXM has largely recovered.

Balloonchaser

Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:49 pm

caribny wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

?

Are these reductions programmed for Dec/March? The current period is the soft season so its no shock that flights are pulled down, especially given the continued MAX fiasco. Reduced flights for the busy winter season would be more significant, given that SXM has largely recovered.

They are programmed from now until like next April. December-February is actually a very busy time down in SXM. It could be the MAX issue with American and United.. But still doesn’t explain why new carriers/existing carriers aren’t harping at the opportunity.

GUYAIR707

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:34 pm

Flew AA1512/1513 GEO-MIA within the past 2 weeks. Outgoing and incoming were full to capacity. AA must be pleased with this flight.

gunnerman

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:36 pm

The Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne has announced that his country has secured a $40m loan from Venezuela-based ALBA Bank to pump into LIAT, and is no longer interested in buying shares in the company from Barbados.

caribny

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:25 pm

gunnerman wrote:
The Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne has announced that his country has secured a $40m loan from Venezuela-based ALBA Bank to pump into LIAT, and is no longer interested in buying shares in the company from Barbados.

So ANU will be leveraged as is BGI.

gunnerman

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:03 am

Let's just say that the dividends from LIAT's profits to enable repayment of the loan must be regarded as a long-term project.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos