Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
 
303dk
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:13 pm

caribny wrote:
danipawa wrote:
Sky High Dominicana flew to Medellin today, 2 weekly Mondays and Fridays ERJ145 service.

Next destinations Barranquilla, St Thomas, Kingston from SDQ.

Dominica, San Juan, St Lucia, Aguadilla, down to Summer Seasonal service



I guess SJU is a competitive route so someone had to stand down. STT should be a success as Dominicans are probably the largest source of VFR among the immigrant derived populations.

If they can’t make SJU work, JetBlue is going to kill them out of STT
 
caribny
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:20 pm

303dk wrote:
caribny wrote:
danipawa wrote:
Sky High Dominicana flew to Medellin today, 2 weekly Mondays and Fridays ERJ145 service.

Next destinations Barranquilla, St Thomas, Kingston from SDQ.

Dominica, San Juan, St Lucia, Aguadilla, down to Summer Seasonal service



I guess SJU is a competitive route so someone had to stand down. STT should be a success as Dominicans are probably the largest source of VFR among the immigrant derived populations.

If they can’t make SJU work, JetBlue is going to kill them out of STT



Wouldn't a nonstop STT SDQ be preferable to traveling via SJU? Giving light international schedules at STT immigration should be a breeze upon return. Plus isn't there the customs check out of STT to SJU?

B6 with multiple daily flights on the SDQ SJU will be tough, even if Sky uses its jet.
 
BW600
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:39 pm

Anybody know if BW has been affected by the B737 NG pickle fork issue? I noticed 9Y-KIN and 9Y-JMC have not been in service for a while. Their B738 fleet is up there in age and could be requiring checks.
The JFK-MBJ flight seems to be originating and ending in KIN as of recently.
POS TAB BGI NAS MIA MCO JFK LAS LAX SFO SEA YYZ YUL YOW YQB YWG YEG YYC YVR LGW AMS NCE CDG
 
303dk
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:57 am

caribny wrote:
303dk wrote:
caribny wrote:


I guess SJU is a competitive route so someone had to stand down. STT should be a success as Dominicans are probably the largest source of VFR among the immigrant derived populations.

If they can’t make SJU work, JetBlue is going to kill them out of STT



Wouldn't a nonstop STT SDQ be preferable to traveling via SJU? Giving light international schedules at STT immigration should be a breeze upon return. Plus isn't there the customs check out of STT to SJU?

B6 with multiple daily flights on the SDQ SJU will be tough, even if Sky uses its jet.
JetBlue will kill them on price. SDQ traffic is very price conscious. STT customs is a nightmare. You’ll often stand in that dark dungeon for 30 minutes or more waiting for officers to come over from departures to clear you. Also, USVI based travelers often prefer to take a morning flight from SDQ to SJU, shop, then take the afternoon flight to STT
 
caribbean484
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 pm

BW600 wrote:
Anybody know if BW has been affected by the B737 NG pickle fork issue? I noticed 9Y-KIN and 9Y-JMC have not been in service for a while. Their B738 fleet is up there in age and could be requiring checks.
The JFK-MBJ flight seems to be originating and ending in KIN as of recently.


It would be interesting to know also, but either the media or someone in parliament has to ask that question. I saw KIN back in the air today while JMC looks to be still down for heavy maintenance. With the a/cs down they had to make changes in the schedule to optimise fleet utilization, so they are not letting an a/c sit all day at MBJ for the time being.
All ah we is one family
 
BW600
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:52 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
BW600 wrote:
Anybody know if BW has been affected by the B737 NG pickle fork issue? I noticed 9Y-KIN and 9Y-JMC have not been in service for a while. Their B738 fleet is up there in age and could be requiring checks.
The JFK-MBJ flight seems to be originating and ending in KIN as of recently.


It would be interesting to know also, but either the media or someone in parliament has to ask that question. I saw KIN back in the air today while JMC looks to be still down for heavy maintenance. With the a/cs down they had to make changes in the schedule to optimise fleet utilization, so they are not letting an a/c sit all day at MBJ for the time being.


Seems like 9Y-KIN went tech in SVD today after its first flight back online. The fleet reliability has really taken a hit recently. Those Max 8 can’t come fast enough.

The JFK-MBJ flight is a tough one for BW to schedule. Optimal departure times mean an aircraft on the ground all day as a result of the FLL-MBJ flights being dropped. The alternative of routing to KIN helps with utilization but add the cost of the extra sector. No win scenario unless they could somehow use that sector to link MBJ to the rest of the network with decent connections to the Eastern Caribbean etc.
POS TAB BGI NAS MIA MCO JFK LAS LAX SFO SEA YYZ YUL YOW YQB YWG YEG YYC YVR LGW AMS NCE CDG
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:16 pm

BW600 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
BW600 wrote:
Anybody know if BW has been affected by the B737 NG pickle fork issue? I noticed 9Y-KIN and 9Y-JMC have not been in service for a while. Their B738 fleet is up there in age and could be requiring checks.
The JFK-MBJ flight seems to be originating and ending in KIN as of recently.


It would be interesting to know also, but either the media or someone in parliament has to ask that question. I saw KIN back in the air today while JMC looks to be still down for heavy maintenance. With the a/cs down they had to make changes in the schedule to optimise fleet utilization, so they are not letting an a/c sit all day at MBJ for the time being.


Seems like 9Y-KIN went tech in SVD today after its first flight back online. The fleet reliability has really taken a hit recently. Those Max 8 can’t come fast enough.

The JFK-MBJ flight is a tough one for BW to schedule. Optimal departure times mean an aircraft on the ground all day as a result of the FLL-MBJ flights being dropped. The alternative of routing to KIN helps with utilization but add the cost of the extra sector. No win scenario unless they could somehow use that sector to link MBJ to the rest of the network with decent connections to the Eastern Caribbean etc.

Demand to/from MBJ/E. Caribbean is minimal at best. Those connections won’t make much of a difference.
 
caribbean484
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:31 pm

BW600 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
BW600 wrote:
Anybody know if BW has been affected by the B737 NG pickle fork issue? I noticed 9Y-KIN and 9Y-JMC have not been in service for a while. Their B738 fleet is up there in age and could be requiring checks.
The JFK-MBJ flight seems to be originating and ending in KIN as of recently.


It would be interesting to know also, but either the media or someone in parliament has to ask that question. I saw KIN back in the air today while JMC looks to be still down for heavy maintenance. With the a/cs down they had to make changes in the schedule to optimise fleet utilization, so they are not letting an a/c sit all day at MBJ for the time being.


Seems like 9Y-KIN went tech in SVD today after its first flight back online. The fleet reliability has really taken a hit recently. Those Max 8 can’t come fast enough.

The JFK-MBJ flight is a tough one for BW to schedule. Optimal departure times mean an aircraft on the ground all day as a result of the FLL-MBJ flights being dropped. The alternative of routing to KIN helps with utilization but add the cost of the extra sector. No win scenario unless they could somehow use that sector to link MBJ to the rest of the network with decent connections to the Eastern Caribbean etc.


That's correct, however this is temporary with the high season and a/c being down for maintenance. At this point it seems that CAL needs a 13th a/c to maintain the schedule as the current are running tight as it is.

CAL is in the same position as every other airline with the MAX issue, they have to push back plans while the MAX is grounded. I wonder if they will be paying for heavy maintenance or be compensated as the MAX were to come in time before more heavy checks.
All ah we is one family
 
caribbean484
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Caribbean Airlines Has Positive 9 Months
The unau­dit­ed re­sults of Caribbean Air­lines Ltd for the nine months end­ing Sep­tem­ber 2019 showed earn­ings be­fore in­ter­est and tax­es of TT$121M [US$20 million], com­pris­ing of TT$153M [US$25 million] on in­ter­na­tion­al op­er­a­tions.
How­ev­er, the air­line lost TT$32M [US$ 5 million] on the do­mes­tic air-bridge.
Rev­enue for the pe­ri­od was TT$2.3B [US$ 0.4 billion], up 3.8 per cent.
https://www.guardian.co.tt/business/cal ... fa182a7e26


Its good to see CAL back in the black and hopefully they continue to stay that way.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestne ... x_petition

Call for CARICOM heads to respond to travel tax petition

A group calling themselves Caribbean Citizens Against High Intra-Regional Travel Taxes is calling for the heads of government in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) to respond to a travel tax petition.

The group said that over the last two weeks packages containing copies of the petition bearing over 20,000 signatures were dispatched to the offices of the CARICOM heads of government and the secretariat in Guyana.

The group noted that a letter to each head of government, cogently outlining the case for dialogue on the “vexing issue of high intra-regional Caribbean travel taxes and fees” was also included in the packages.

To date, the group said, only the offices of the President of Guyana, Brigadier David Granger and Dr Keith Mitchell, Prime Minister of Grenada have acknowledged receipt of the communication.


I have to agree here, taxes in the Caribbean are way too high and instead of cutting taxes to boast personal spending and arrivals. It seems that every year when a new airport project is proposed the first response is to raise taxes on air travel.


https://www.antiguaobserver.com/regiona ... liat-deal/

Regional governments reach ‘consensus’ on LIAT deal
December 11, 2019

A new agreement has apparently been struck as the government of Barbados has apparently come off its initial stance of requesting US $40 million from the Government of Antigua and Barbuda (GOAB) to acquire most of its 49 percent shareholding in regional air carrier, LIAT (1974) Ltd.

“We have a general consensus on the way forward,” declared Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne. He attended a LIAT shareholder government’s meeting held over a week ago. He confirmed that in that meeting with Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley and St. Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves.


Here we go again with the LIAT merry-go-around. I'm not sure but how can these Governments continue to put money into LIAT while they are facing financial troubles themselves?
Something has to give at LIAT eventually and its either the airline becomes profitable and make significant changes or continue to be run like a bus service and eventually shut down. The 3 major governments cannot expect each country to pump money every other month into LIAT with little returns on investments.
All ah we is one family
 
A388
Posts: 8004
Joined: Mon May 21, 2001 3:48 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Does anyone know how Caribbean Airlines is doing on their new POS-CUR route and also what's their projection for the coming months (more flights maybe or mixing it up with their ATR72)?

A388
 
caribbean484
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:57 pm

A388 wrote:
Does anyone know how Caribbean Airlines is doing on their new POS-CUR route and also what's their projection for the coming months (more flights maybe or mixing it up with their ATR72)?

A388


From a reliable source they mentioned the route has performed well even in the low season, however I am unsure if they will increase flights at this time. The fleet is stretched as is but they are mentioning new routes in 2020 so we will see what they do from here.
All ah we is one family
 
A388
Posts: 8004
Joined: Mon May 21, 2001 3:48 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:20 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
From a reliable source they mentioned the route has performed well even in the low season, however I am unsure if they will increase flights at this time. The fleet is stretched as is but they are mentioning new routes in 2020 so we will see what they do from here.


Thanks caribbean484. It's good to read they are doing well. I hope it will continue of course. And of course I hope to see their MAX here in CUR too next year. Keeping my fingers crossed :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

A388
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1151
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Passengers were angered by the failure of Caribbean Airlines to launch its twice-weekly KIN-HAV service yesterday (Friday). The route had initially been scheduled to start on 6 November. No explanation has been given for stopping the launch.
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/lead-stories/20191214/grounded-caribbean-airlines-direct-flights-kingston-havana-fail-take
 
Caymanair
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:53 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:38 am

It seems BW may have also failed to get in contact with all customers who purchased tickets on their KIN-GCM service, the start of which seems to have been delayed until this coming week. People turning up at the airport for flights only to be advised that it's cancelled...
 
caribny
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:54 am

Not a good start, especially on the GCM where KX is formidable and well entrenched. BW's excuses seem to be quite silly. This continues a well established pattern of BW's POS operations disrespecting other markets. Both Jamaicans and Guyanese have complained about this.
 
caribbean484
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:33 pm

caribny wrote:
Not a good start, especially on the GCM where KX is formidable and well entrenched. BW's excuses seem to be quite silly. This continues a well established pattern of BW's POS operations disrespecting other markets. Both Jamaicans and Guyanese have complained about this.


True, I'm not sure why the last minute cancellation to HAV, but it seems related to a/c shortage. You don't treat customers that way at least be honest. Not sure why corporations just communicate these points to customers. One 737 is down because of the pickle fork issue and an ATR is still down from the incident earlier this year so the fleet is stretched. The current winter schedule is packed and little room for error as we saw they have temporarily positioned flights between MBJ-KIN.

Good news is GCM started today so hopefully HAV is not far behind.

CAL will be getting more ATRs next year with the first one arriving in January.
All ah we is one family
 
caribny
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:18 am

caribbean484 wrote:
caribny wrote:
Not a good start, especially on the GCM where KX is formidable and well entrenched. BW's excuses seem to be quite silly. This continues a well established pattern of BW's POS operations disrespecting other markets. Both Jamaicans and Guyanese have complained about this.


True, I'm not sure why the last minute cancellation to HAV, but it seems related to a/c shortage. You don't treat customers that way at least be honest. Not sure why corporations just communicate these points to customers. One 737 is down because of the pickle fork issue and an ATR is still down from the incident earlier this year so the fleet is stretched. The current winter schedule is packed and little room for error as we saw they have temporarily positioned flights between MBJ-KIN.

Good news is GCM started today so hopefully HAV is not far behind.

CAL will be getting more ATRs next year with the first one arriving in January.



Will the additional ATRs be for the TAB route or do they have new routes in mind. A big hole in intra Caribbean travel is POS SDQ.
 
caribbean484
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:26 am

gunnerman wrote:
Passengers were angered by the failure of Caribbean Airlines to launch its twice-weekly KIN-HAV service yesterday (Friday). The route had initially been scheduled to start on 6 November. No explanation has been given for stopping the launch.
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/lead-stories/20191214/grounded-caribbean-airlines-direct-flights-kingston-havana-fail-take


caribny wrote:
Not a good start, especially on the GCM where KX is formidable and well entrenched. BW's excuses seem to be quite silly. This continues a well-established pattern of BW's POS operations disrespecting other markets. Both Jamaicans and Guyanese have complained about this.


It seems that the airline did not get the regulatory approval in time to start the flight to HAV, and is hoping such approval comes soon
http://www.loopslu.com/content/destinat ... rly-2020-2

caribny wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
caribny wrote:
Not a good start, especially on the GCM where KX is formidable and well entrenched. BW's excuses seem to be quite silly. This continues a well established pattern of BW's POS operations disrespecting other markets. Both Jamaicans and Guyanese have complained about this.


True, I'm not sure why the last minute cancellation to HAV, but it seems related to a/c shortage. You don't treat customers that way at least be honest. Not sure why corporations just communicate these points to customers. One 737 is down because of the pickle fork issue and an ATR is still down from the incident earlier this year so the fleet is stretched. The current winter schedule is packed and little room for error as we saw they have temporarily positioned flights between MBJ-KIN.

Good news is GCM started today so hopefully HAV is not far behind.

CAL will be getting more ATRs next year with the first one arriving in January.



Will the additional ATRs be for the TAB route or do they have new routes in mind. A big hole in intra Caribbean travel is POS SDQ.


Not to give too much but they are for regional expansion.

You are right SDQ is the big hole in the network
All ah we is one family
 
dominicl316
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:48 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:18 am

According to InterCaribbean's new schedule, their STX and STT service out of EIS will now be starting Feb 1. It also appears as if InterCarib is discontinuing EIS-SXM in January. Seems odd, since many people
were looking forward to using their services to get from the USVI to SXM via EIS.
 
dominicl316
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:48 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:22 pm

LI is also rumored to be restarting service to STX.
 
LimaFoxTango
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:50 am

dominicl316 wrote:
LI is also rumored to be restarting service to STX.


Its more than a rumour, but it hasn't been publicly announced yet. After Hurricane Maria damaged the airport in STX, the authorities there didnt bother to repair the international side of the terminal building as there were no international airlines serving STX at that time. I believe that is one of the reasons for LI's delay in restarting service and also for InterCaribbean as well. LI should be 1x weekly on Sundays direct from/to ANU.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.
 
caribny
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:54 am

dominicl316 wrote:
According to InterCaribbean's new schedule, their STX and STT service out of EIS will now be starting Feb 1. It also appears as if InterCarib is discontinuing EIS-SXM in January. Seems odd, since many people
were looking forward to using their services to get from the USVI to SXM via EIS.



Inter Carib seems somewhat unstable changing their schedules almost every month. Yes I thought that SXM would support the USVI routes, in addition to connections to ANU and DOM/SLU. EIS SXM is now quite competitive so I guess Inter Carib pulled the plug. Still think that Inter Carib should look at SKB especially now with their USVI routes. LI has changed its SKB service no longer offering an evening ANU SKB service (the flight is nonstop BGI SKB and then ending in ANU) so its quite difficult to fly there from the USVI. Not everyone wants to trust an air taxi service.
 
dominicl316
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:48 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:44 am

caribny wrote:
Still think that Inter Carib should look at SKB especially now with their USVI routes. LI has changed its SKB service no longer offering an evening ANU SKB service (the flight is nonstop BGI SKB and then ending in ANU) so its quite difficult to fly there from the USVI. Not everyone wants to trust an air taxi service.


Air Sunshine may fit the description of an "air taxi service" but they are quite popular with the USVI Kittitian-Nevisian community. You can't beat a 35 minute flight on a B1900. Sometimes they also use the C402 out of STX, which is slightly slower, at 45 minutes
 
dominicl316
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:48 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:23 am

However, I do think that the market can still support USVI pax traveling to SKB on InterCarib via EIS. The Air Sunshine flights sell out quickly, and while their SKB/NEV flights are daily out of STT, they aren't daily out of STX.
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2966
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:35 pm

POS report:
It’s time CM adds capacity or extra frequencies to POS. Looked like there was even connecting traffic from MIA and JFK on the flight I took. Evening flight departure time doesn’t allow connections from all evening arrival flights.
It’s about time BW trow numbers for POS-HOU (if it doesn’t want to go head to head with UA on POS-IAH), the Trinidad - Texas O/D market seems to be there.
Has TK started to study IST-POS? IST-CCS-POS-IST could be very very interesting...
What a neat airport, I pleasantly surprised.
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1151
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:01 pm

TK is not going to fly to POS.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:43 pm

gunnerman wrote:
TK is not going to fly to POS.

Exactly. On another note, I’ve noticed that AA I scheduling their Christmas week third daily MIA-POS flight to depart MIA at 22:58 and arrive in POS at 03:38 with the return from POS leaving at 03:45 and arriving in MIA at 06:51. So for those who thought the MIA-GEO schedule was brutal, the third daily POS seems much worse.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:49 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
POS report:
It’s time CM adds capacity or extra frequencies to POS. Looked like there was even connecting traffic from MIA and JFK on the flight I took. Evening flight departure time doesn’t allow connections from all evening arrival flights.
It’s about time BW trow numbers for POS-HOU (if it doesn’t want to go head to head with UA on POS-IAH), the Trinidad - Texas O/D market seems to be there.
Has TK started to study IST-POS? IST-CCS-POS-IST could be very very interesting...
What a neat airport, I pleasantly surprised.

The POS-Houston O&D market is there but the lucrative traffic on the route (the oil related business travel) is generally Houston originating and likely loyal to UA.

What I could see causing BW to start POS-Houston is actually business travel to GEO increasing. As there is currently no IAH-GEO service on UA, BW might be able to grab that traffic and with the VFR traffic they can get to/from POS, that may be enough to make that viable.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1151
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:40 pm

As a reminder AA launched its year-round Saturday CLT-GND service on 21 December. Flights are operated with the 128-seat 319 (8 in Business class, 120 in Economy class). These flights complement AA's daily MIA-GND. The other scheduled flights from north America are by B6 (daily from JFK) and AC (thrice-weekly from YYZ).
Last edited by gunnerman on Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1151
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
TK is not going to fly to POS.

Exactly. On another note, I’ve noticed that AA I scheduling their Christmas week third daily MIA-POS flight to depart MIA at 22:58 and arrive in POS at 03:38 with the return from POS leaving at 03:45 and arriving in MIA at 06:51. So for those who thought the MIA-GEO schedule was brutal, the third daily POS seems much worse.

These flights run up to 5 January. I see them as being operated with the planes and crew that AA has available, and AA is quite happy to make full use of both. I think passengers will be happy as well, better to fly ugly hours to meet family and friends rather then not fly at all.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:28 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
TK is not going to fly to POS.

Exactly. On another note, I’ve noticed that AA I scheduling their Christmas week third daily MIA-POS flight to depart MIA at 22:58 and arrive in POS at 03:38 with the return from POS leaving at 03:45 and arriving in MIA at 06:51. So for those who thought the MIA-GEO schedule was brutal, the third daily POS seems much worse.

These flights run up to 5 January. I see them as being operated with the planes and crew that AA has available, and AA is quite happy to make full use of both. I think passengers will be happy as well, better to fly ugly hours to meet family and friends rather then not fly at all.

Agreed. AA is stretched thin fleet wise so at peak times of year I expect "creative" scheduling and if there's one destination in the Caribbean that kind of schedule could work, it's POS because of its VFR tilt and geographic distance from MIA.
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2966
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:31 am

gunnerman wrote:
TK is not going to fly to POS.
Lets see if some people @ TK IST hub might seem to disagree.
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
BW600
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:43 am

Seems like AA is having some issues on the JFK-GEO route. With full flights southbound, their B738 seems to have difficulty doing the flight non stop. Three flights since launch had to stop at SJU to refuel. BW has no difficulty but its seat counts are only 150 on their B738.
POS TAB BGI NAS MIA MCO JFK LAS LAX SFO SEA YYZ YUL YOW YQB YWG YEG YYC YVR LGW AMS NCE CDG
 
baje427
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:52 pm

BW600 wrote:
Seems like AA is having some issues on the JFK-GEO route. With full flights southbound, their B738 seems to have difficulty doing the flight non stop. Three flights since launch had to stop at SJU to refuel. BW has no difficulty but its seat counts are only 150 on their B738.

Interesting re the diversions the innaguaral flight was also delayed by 12 hours. I assume this will be a Max route once they are airworhthy.
 
LimaFoxTango
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:11 pm

BW600 wrote:
Seems like AA is having some issues on the JFK-GEO route. With full flights southbound, their B738 seems to have difficulty doing the flight non stop. Three flights since launch had to stop at SJU to refuel. BW has no difficulty but its seat counts are only 150 on their B738.


Clearly AA underestimated that route. Nothing less than a 757 should be used, particularly during the Christmas, Easter and summer peak periods.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.
 
AEROFAN
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:30 pm

gunnerman wrote:
As a reminder AA launched its year-round Saturday CLT-GND service on 21 December. Flights are operated with the 128-seat 319 (8 in Business class, 120 in Economy class). These flights complement AA's daily MIA-GND. The other scheduled flights from north America are by B6 (daily from JFK) and AC (thrice-weekly from YYZ).


I do not understand how AA can have a daily JFK-GND flight and could not maintain JFK-BGI. How is this possible? I remember the days when PanAM and AA plied the JFK-BGI route daily.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:23 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
As a reminder AA launched its year-round Saturday CLT-GND service on 21 December. Flights are operated with the 128-seat 319 (8 in Business class, 120 in Economy class). These flights complement AA's daily MIA-GND. The other scheduled flights from north America are by B6 (daily from JFK) and AC (thrice-weekly from YYZ).


I do not understand how AA can have a daily JFK-GND flight and could not maintain JFK-BGI. How is this possible? I remember the days when PanAM and AA plied the JFK-BGI route daily.

AA doesn’t have a daily JFK-GND flight; B6 does. AA flies daily from MIA and weekly from CLT to GND.

Furthermore, no airline other than B6 has been able to make NYC-BGI work. AA dropped JFK. UA and DL have both shied away from serving it from EWR and JFK respectively while other smaller islands do see service from those airlines e.g. ANU has a strong AA presence from JFK and also sees UA from EWR and DL from JFK despite B6 flying it as well.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:34 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
BW600 wrote:
Seems like AA is having some issues on the JFK-GEO route. With full flights southbound, their B738 seems to have difficulty doing the flight non stop. Three flights since launch had to stop at SJU to refuel. BW has no difficulty but its seat counts are only 150 on their B738.


Clearly AA underestimated that route. Nothing less than a 757 should be used, particularly during the Christmas, Easter and summer peak periods.

I think it’s just a case of AA simply not having enough 757s to go around. IIRC, JFK only sees the 757 on AA out of DFW once daily now.
 
caribny
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:08 pm

dominicl316 wrote:
caribny wrote:
Still think that Inter Carib should look at SKB especially now with their USVI routes. LI has changed its SKB service no longer offering an evening ANU SKB service (the flight is nonstop BGI SKB and then ending in ANU) so its quite difficult to fly there from the USVI. Not everyone wants to trust an air taxi service.


Air Sunshine may fit the description of an "air taxi service" but they are quite popular with the USVI Kittitian-Nevisian community. You can't beat a 35 minute flight on a B1900. Sometimes they also use the C402 out of STX, which is slightly slower, at 45 minutes



Do they have any choice? And being an air taxi are they reliable, or do they adjust service and planes based on last minute demand? They don't always use the B1900 and that smaller plane is a real problem for some people.
 
caribny
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:17 pm

baje427 wrote:
BW600 wrote:
Seems like AA is having some issues on the JFK-GEO route. With full flights southbound, their B738 seems to have difficulty doing the flight non stop. Three flights since launch had to stop at SJU to refuel. BW has no difficulty but its seat counts are only 150 on their B738.

Interesting re the diversions the innaguaral flight was also delayed by 12 hours. I assume this will be a Max route once they are airworhthy.



BW I am sure is quite happy with these events. Also as they too will use the Max once they are back in the air I guess they will only have B6 to worry about if there is passenger resistance. Maybe recent events at Boeing will assure the public that the matter is being taken seriously. Suspect those planes aren't going to be back until summer.
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2966
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:53 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:
BW600 wrote:
Seems like AA is having some issues on the JFK-GEO route. With full flights southbound, their B738 seems to have difficulty doing the flight non stop. Three flights since launch had to stop at SJU to refuel. BW has no difficulty but its seat counts are only 150 on their B738.


Clearly AA underestimated that route. Nothing less than a 757 should be used, particularly during the Christmas, Easter and summer peak periods.

I think it’s just a case of AA simply not having enough 757s to go around. IIRC, JFK only sees the 757 on AA out of DFW once daily now.

Doesn’t AA have an spare wide-body sitting on JFK tarmac between JFK-South America red-eyes flights it could deploy on a day-time JFK-GEO-JFK rotation?
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
dominicl316
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:48 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:57 pm

caribny wrote:
Do they have any choice? And being an air taxi are they reliable, or do they adjust service and planes based on last minute demand? They don't always use the B1900 and that smaller plane is a real problem for some people.


They reroute flights frequently, and sometimes with unscheduled stops, but I haven't heard of anyone having their flights canceled. Most of their clientele is already aware of their air taxi-like operating procedures, though.

They got a second B1900, so most of their SKB/NEV service is on those aircraft. I believe all of their flights STT-SKB-NEV are on the B1900 while STX is a crapshoot which aircraft you get.

Air Sunshine also just started B1900-only service STX-SLU Saturday only, and SLU-STX Sunday only. It is sometimes routed via SKB depending on demand.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:40 am

2travel2know2 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:

Clearly AA underestimated that route. Nothing less than a 757 should be used, particularly during the Christmas, Easter and summer peak periods.

I think it’s just a case of AA simply not having enough 757s to go around. IIRC, JFK only sees the 757 on AA out of DFW once daily now.

Doesn’t AA have an spare wide-body sitting on JFK tarmac between JFK-South America red-eyes flights it could deploy on a day-time JFK-GEO-JFK rotation?

AFAIK, the only SA rotations they have from JFK are GRU and EZE and they r flown with a 77W and 772 respectively. Those are both way too much plane for GEO. In fact AA’s entire long haul portfolio is 777s so a widebody on JFK-GEO is out of the question IMO
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:09 am

Brickell305 wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
I think it’s just a case of AA simply not having enough 757s to go around. IIRC, JFK only sees the 757 on AA out of DFW once daily now.

Doesn’t AA have an spare wide-body sitting on JFK tarmac between JFK-South America red-eyes flights it could deploy on a day-time JFK-GEO-JFK rotation?

AFAIK, the only SA rotations they have from JFK are GRU and EZE and they r flown with a 77W and 772 respectively. Those are both way too much plane for GEO. In fact AA’s entire long haul portfolio is 777s so a widebody on JFK-GEO is out of the question IMO


And GIG (AA 973) which is winter seasonal, also a 772.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
baje427
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:39 am

I am surprised about the diversions to be honest, perhaps they will block some seats going forward.
 
ABEguy
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:45 am

Looks like they got the point. Starting Christmas Day, the JFK-GEO leg is blocked off to 140, and the GEO-JFK is blocked to 157. They badly need another AC on this segment but as mentioned above, no spare 75’s sitting around. The Max could probably carry the full payload but who knows when that’ll fly.
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:11 am

ABEguy wrote:
Looks like they got the point. Starting Christmas Day, the JFK-GEO leg is blocked off to 140, and the GEO-JFK is blocked to 157. They badly need another AC on this segment but as mentioned above, no spare 75’s sitting around. The Max could probably carry the full payload but who knows when that’ll fly.


Flight went nonstop tonight, with some open seats. No nonrevs appeared to have been cleared so I am going to assume due to restrictions nonrevs aren’t being loaded? With a pretty lengthy nonrev list tonight to boot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
tphuang
Posts: 5454
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:31 am

I wonder if this blocking is just for winter time or permanent. Seems like max is badly needed here. Neo delay was the reason JetBlue is not starting here until April.
 
LimaFoxTango
Posts: 982
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:34 pm

How is BW able to do this route seemingly with no issues? Or is it we're not hearing issues about them?
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:28 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
How is BW able to do this route seemingly with no issues? Or is it we're not hearing issues about them?

BW’s 738s have less seats than AA’s.
  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos