Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AEROFAN

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
As a reminder AA launched its year-round Saturday CLT-GND service on 21 December. Flights are operated with the 128-seat 319 (8 in Business class, 120 in Economy class). These flights complement AA's daily MIA-GND. The other scheduled flights from north America are by B6 (daily from JFK) and AC (thrice-weekly from YYZ).

I do not understand how AA can have a daily JFK-GND flight and could not maintain JFK-BGI. How is this possible? I remember the days when PanAM and AA plied the JFK-BGI route daily.

AA doesn’t have a daily JFK-GND flight; B6 does. AA flies daily from MIA and weekly from CLT to GND.

Furthermore, no airline other than B6 has been able to make NYC-BGI work. AA dropped JFK. UA and DL have both shied away from serving it from EWR and JFK respectively while other smaller islands do see service from those airlines e.g. ANU has a strong AA presence from JFK and also sees UA from EWR and DL from JFK despite B6 flying it as well.

No one can make it work except JetBlue? Why would you think so? Because JB is now the only carrier on the route? AA was on this route for well over 20 years and competed quite well against PanAm and the then BWIA during much of this time period. If it couldn't make it work, it would have left a lot sooner.
JBlue has gone from one daily flight to sometimes four flights a day during certain peak times. That should be an indication of the market capability.
Neither Delta nor Continental were serious about their entry into this market. If either were, they would have had at least a daily flight at a reasonably scheduled time at reasonable prices.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

Brickell305

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:49 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:

I do not understand how AA can have a daily JFK-GND flight and could not maintain JFK-BGI. How is this possible? I remember the days when PanAM and AA plied the JFK-BGI route daily.

AA doesn’t have a daily JFK-GND flight; B6 does. AA flies daily from MIA and weekly from CLT to GND.

Furthermore, no airline other than B6 has been able to make NYC-BGI work. AA dropped JFK. UA and DL have both shied away from serving it from EWR and JFK respectively while other smaller islands do see service from those airlines e.g. ANU has a strong AA presence from JFK and also sees UA from EWR and DL from JFK despite B6 flying it as well.

No one can make it work except JetBlue? Why would you think so? Because JB is now the only carrier on the route? AA was on this route for well over 20 years and competed quite well against PanAm and the then BWIA during much of this time period. If it couldn't make it work, it would have left a lot sooner.
JBlue has gone from one daily flight to sometimes four flights a day during certain peak times. That should be an indication of the market capability.
Neither Delta nor Continental were serious about their entry into this market. If either were, they would have had at least a daily flight at a reasonably scheduled time at reasonable prices.

That’s kind of my point. B6 runs as many as 3 times daily from JFK and 1x from EWR during peak season and yet none of the other two airlines with hubs at JFK (DL, AA) or the only airline that hubs at EWR (UA) seem interested in flying NYC-BGI. That’s despite the fact that they do fly to smaller Caribbean destinations from NYC. There must be some reason for that.

baje427

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:18 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:

BGI has trouble maintaining US services one would think for winter UA would be able to pull off an EWR-BGI service but B6 picked up the route . I don't think any other US carrier will be in BGI anytime soon.

chepos

Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:19 pm

baje427 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

BGI has trouble maintaining US services one would think for winter UA would be able to pull off an EWR-BGI service but B6 picked up the route . I don't think any other US carrier will be in BGI anytime soon.

AA is also a US carrier and they currently fly to BGI, from MIA and CLT. Unless you meant no other US carrier on BGi-NYC route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Brickell305

Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:52 pm

chepos wrote:
baje427 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:

AA is also a US carrier and they currently fly to BGI, from MIA and CLT. Unless you meant no other US carrier on BGi-NYC route.

I’m guessing he meant outside of AA/B6. Most other destinations in the Eastern Caribbean, even ones much smaller than BGI see service from a greater number of US carriers.

baje427

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:47 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
chepos wrote:
baje427 wrote:

I’m guessing he meant outside of AA/B6. Most other destinations in the Eastern Caribbean, even ones much smaller than BGI see service from a greater number of US carriers.

Correct this is what I meant most other islands have atleast 3 US carriers BGI seemingly only works for AA and B6.

LimaFoxTango

Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:25 pm

I sometimes question B6's profitability into BGI. I've been on one of those 3 daily JFK runs and it was barely half full, and that was an A321. The fares though are sometimes phenomenal, which encourages travel, but how much money are they making. Either the BGI govt is paying B6 some coin, or someone in scheduling really really loves BGI.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

AEROFAN

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:16 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:
I sometimes question B6's profitability into BGI. I've been on one of those 3 daily JFK runs and it was barely half full, and that was an A321. The fares though are sometimes phenomenal, which encourages travel, but how much money are they making. Either the BGI govt is paying B6 some coin, or someone in scheduling really really loves BGI.

I have never questioned the profitability of the route. What airline runs 3 sometimes 4 daily flights and at a loss? Come on now. I have been taking JBlue at least 4 times per year for the last 6 years to BGI; every flight I have taken has been full.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

AEROFAN

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:18 am

Brickell305 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

That’s kind of my point. B6 runs as many as 3 times daily from JFK and 1x from EWR during peak season and yet none of the other two airlines with hubs at JFK (DL, AA) or the only airline that hubs at EWR (UA) seem interested in flying NYC-BGI. That’s despite the fact that they do fly to smaller Caribbean destinations from NYC. There must be some reason for that.

They lack vision. AA should not have allowed JBlue to gain such a strong foothold. To have an upstart run an incumbent out of a profitable market indicates they don't know what they are doing.

chepos

Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:48 am

AEROFAN wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:

I have never questioned the profitability of the route. What airline runs 3 sometimes 4 daily flights and at a loss? Come on now. I have been taking JBlue at least 4 times per year for the last 6 years to BGI; every flight I have taken has been full.

And you know those flights are profitable how???? Just because the flights you have been on are full? Full does not equate profitable. An airline can fly a route for a variety of reasons, sometimes airlines operates routes at a loss (not saying this is necessarily the case for BGI). However, to make a blanket statement such as, the flights I have been on are full hence BGI is profitable is extremely simplistic at best. If the US to BGI market was as profitable as you claim, why is DL not on BGi-JFK/ATL/BOS, UA on BGI-EWR/ORD, etc etc. That right there tells you something.

Last edited by chepos on Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Balloonchaser

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:49 am

Has anyone heard anything on the loads of the airlifts to and from the island of St. Maarten? Airlines seem to be doing really well, but I’m assuming that the island still isn’t ready for more airlifts yet. Has anyone heard anything about any future development? I heard rumors of a big Sunwing Group expansion to the island once their Resort is completed. I have also heard of TUI and other European carriers being highly interested in returning/beginning service. Very curious about the future of SXM/TNCM.

AEROFAN

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:24 pm

chepos wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:

And you know those flights are profitable how???? Just because the flights you have been on are full? Full does not equate profitable. An airline can fly a route for a variety of reasons, sometimes airlines operates routes at a loss (not saying this is necessarily the case for BGI). However, to make a blanket statement such as, the flights I have been on are full hence BGI is profitable is extremely simplistic at best. If the US to BGI market was as profitable as you claim, why is DL not on BGi-JFK/ATL/BOS, UA on BGI-EWR/ORD, etc etc. That right there tells you something.

And you know the JBlue flights are not profitable, how?

tphuang

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:56 pm

B6's JFK to Latam operation is really profitable. If you can't figure that out, you are not paying attention. FLL to Latin American on the other hand has become a disaster in the past few quarter.

The fact that they have monopoly on NYC-BGI market means they can have enough capacity to keep competitors out while charging high enough fares to compensate for the roughly 80% LF that they typically get here.

baje427

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:27 pm

As B6 has the monopoly on the BGI-JFK and EWR-BGI flights what incentive would they have to operate up to 4 flights daily some days if they weren't profitable ?

Midwestindy

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:58 pm

baje427 wrote:
As B6 has the monopoly on the BGI-JFK and EWR-BGI flights what incentive would they have to operate up to 4 flights daily some days if they weren't profitable ?

Why would any company make/operate anything at a loss?

I suggest you read about the concept of a "loss leader"
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

ryby92

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:07 pm

tphuang wrote:
B6's JFK to Latam operation is really profitable. If you can't figure that out, you are not paying attention. FLL to Latin American on the other hand has become a disaster in the past few quarter.

The fact that they have monopoly on NYC-BGI market means they can have enough capacity to keep competitors out while charging high enough fares to compensate for the roughly 80% LF that they typically get here.

Let's see what happens when those MAXs come back into the fleet. By then 40 + planes due. They will need to fly them somewhere. Do not be surprised if they increase and resume more JFK to Caribbean flying.

Of late the following:

JFK-SJO D
JFK-GEO D
JFK-LIR 1W
JFK MBJ D
JFK-GCM 1W

To already existing:

JFK-ANU D
JFK-SKB 2W
JFK-STT 1W
JFK-PUJ 1W
JFK-CUN 2D
JFK-BDA D

LGA-AUA 1W
LGA-NAS 1W

Remember Delta started many of their flights as 1W from JFK and expanded gradually. It is not inconceivable for AA to do the same. Furthermore with exception of PR and Hispaniola (Haiti & DR) AA is the largest US carrier at all the island airports and the largest overall in many. So it's not like they have to open a new station.

ryby92

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:20 pm

baje427 wrote:

It is not exactly 4 flights a day every day. That is the Saturday schedule only where they operate 3 to JFK 1 to EWR 1 to BOS and 1 to FLL..

Actual to JFK is 12 W, BOS 2W, EWR 1W and FLL 4W for a total of 19 weekly flights.

tphuang

Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:21 pm

ryby92 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Let's see what happens when those MAXs come back into the fleet. By then 40 + planes due. They will need to fly them somewhere. Do not be surprised if they increase and resume more JFK to Caribbean flying.

Of late the following:

JFK-SJO D
JFK-GEO D
JFK-LIR 1W
JFK MBJ D
JFK-GCM 1W

To already existing:

JFK-ANU D
JFK-SKB 2W
JFK-STT 1W
JFK-PUJ 1W
JFK-CUN 2D
JFK-BDA D

LGA-AUA 1W
LGA-NAS 1W

Remember Delta started many of their flights as 1W from JFK and expanded gradually. It is not inconceivable for AA to do the same. Furthermore with exception of PR and Hispaniola (Haiti & DR) AA is the largest US carrier at all the island airports and the largest overall in many. So it's not like they have to open a new station.

Is this a joke? How many markets have b6 chased aa out of JFK island market?

windian425

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:06 pm

On an annual basis, B6 operation into BGI is profitable. Full stop.

AA also LGA-BDA on 21st December Saturday only year-round.

gunnerman

Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:

They lack vision. AA should not have allowed JBlue to gain such a strong foothold. To have an upstart run an incumbent out of a profitable market indicates they don't know what they are doing.

AA has a relatively poor presence at JFK compared with DL and B6, and that has a lot to do with the takeover of US which was strong in PHL that is just 100 miles away. Whilst AA inherited a lot of valuable LGA traffic from US JFK became not so strategic as can be seen by the fact that AA has almost 400 daily departures from PHL but about 170 from LGA and under 100 from JFK. AA just isn't in a position to compete with a big beast like B6 at JFK.

caribny

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:10 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:
How is BW able to do this route seemingly with no issues? Or is it we're not hearing issues about them?

BWs issues normally pop up due to late night/early morning fog at GEO. If this was a problem you would have heard of it as you know fully well that Caribbean people will riot when a Caribbean airline is 30 minutes late, but behave like good colonial sheep when AA kicks them to the curb with late flights which mess up their connections in MIA.

caribny

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:26 am

baje427 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
chepos wrote:

Correct this is what I meant most other islands have atleast 3 US carriers BGI seemingly only works for AA and B6.

BGI is a relatively high volume low yield market when compared to other Eastern Caribbean islands. Check fares on the JFK BGI with JFK SKB as an example. DL and UA have low frequency flights to those other islands that they serve. Only UVF gets daily DL service. For the others (even ANU) its Sat only. What is interesting is that JFK ANU is one of the few routes where AA and B6 maintain year round service competing against each other.

Maybe low frequency service cannot be competitive for BGI. Its US visitor arrivals have increased significantly since Sandals entered and B6 beefed up their service.

Also where an island sources its US visitors might matter. ANU seems to have a NY area focus so gets quite a bit of service (almost as much as BGI). Maybe UVF gets a broader geographic range so can support seasonal low frequency service out of PHL, and ORD. Note that BGI is the only Eastern Caribbean island with year round BOS service. Even UVF gets this only winter.

danipawa

Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:51 pm

Sky High Aviation retired it last prop today, B1900 HI1007 gone for a new home.

Active fleet: 2 ERJ145LR HI1052, HI1053 to destinations: Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Medellin, St Kitts, Antigua, Anguilla, Saint Marteen, Maracaibo, Tortola.

STS133

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:28 pm

gunnerman wrote:
As a reminder AA launched its year-round Saturday CLT-GND service on 21 December. Flights are operated with the 128-seat 319 (8 in Business class, 120 in Economy class). These flights complement AA's daily MIA-GND. The other scheduled flights from north America are by B6 (daily from JFK) and AC (thrice-weekly from YYZ).

DL also has a seasonal Saturday service to ATL. They sometimes run a seasonal JFK service as well, I have been on that flight.

adamh8297

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:17 pm

caribny wrote:
Note that BGI is the only Eastern Caribbean island with year round BOS service. Even UVF gets this only winter.

There's a dedicated VFR component to BOS-BGI that allows B6 to go year-round.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

leleko747

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:24 pm

danipawa wrote:

Active fleet: 2 ERJ145LR HI1052, HI1053 to destinations: Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Medellin, St Kitts, Antigua, Anguilla, Saint Marteen, Maracaibo, Tortola.

Really did not see that coming! Was their Jetstream 41 written off? I remember it was out of operation after a runway excursion somewhere.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

danipawa

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:01 pm

leleko747 wrote:
danipawa wrote:

Really did not see that coming! Was their Jetstream 41 written off? I remember it was out of operation after a runway excursion somewhere.

Yes JS41 HI1038, it was writte off after emergency landing at Dominica, there are 2 more retired from fleet: JS41 HI1013 and ERJ HI1024 (rented from Republic) stored at SDQ.

B1900 HI1007, HI1017 and B99 HI950 going to Panama start up Air Bocas.

gunnerman

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:36 pm

BW600 wrote:
Seems like AA is having some issues on the JFK-GEO route. With full flights southbound, their B738 seems to have difficulty doing the flight non stop. Three flights since launch had to stop at SJU to refuel. BW has no difficulty but its seat counts are only 150 on their B738.

I believe that AA is operating the "Oasis" 738s on the route which have been densified by increasing the number of seats from 160 to 172, and 22 additional passengers with their bags on over water flights compared with BW make a difference. It seems though that AA has solved the problem by restricting the number of passengers on every flight.

caribny

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:46 pm

gunnerman wrote:
BW600 wrote:
Seems like AA is having some issues on the JFK-GEO route. With full flights southbound, their B738 seems to have difficulty doing the flight non stop. Three flights since launch had to stop at SJU to refuel. BW has no difficulty but its seat counts are only 150 on their B738.

I believe that AA is operating the "Oasis" 738s on the route which have been densified by increasing the number of seats from 160 to 172, and 22 additional passengers with their bags on over water flights compared with BW make a difference. It seems though that AA has solved the problem by restricting the number of passengers on every flight.

172 seats is a dense configuration. Leg room issues will have folks running to B6. I assume that the unused seats will just be taped off and left empty.

gunnerman

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:32 pm

No need to tape off seats which are not broken, just don't sell them by reducing the seat inventory for the flights. There will be some lucky passengers who will have an empty seat next to them.

STS133

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:51 pm

caribny wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
BW600 wrote:

172 seats is a dense configuration. Leg room issues will have folks running to B6. I assume that the unused seats will just be taped off and left empty.

I have flown on those newly configured 738s extensively. The seats are slimline, the literature is stored higher, there are no IFE boxes, so, the reduction in pitch is not noticeable when compared to a traditionally configured aircraft; TBH it actually feels a bit roomier as your knee is a bit further from the seat in front of you. B6 offers more pitch that other airlines though, so if that is truly a deciding factor, then it will be regardless of the equipment AA uses.

ryby92

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:49 pm

caribny wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
BW600 wrote:

it's not half as bad as most make it out to be. Have flown oasis 6 times before. 6' 2" tall with no issues. The actual space between the seats is same as older configuration. Seat is slimmer, plus the partition between first and coach is removed in addition to slightly narrower lavatory.

Tape off seats? it's not a construction site.Just need to reduce inventory in system.

caribny

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:42 pm

ryby92 wrote:
[

.Just need to reduce inventory in system.

Width? Caribbean women can be big boned.

baje427

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:37 am

What are the prospects for SkyHigh ? Operating two 50 seat regional jets which airlines are trying to ditch myst be challenging I wonder if they are making money.

qf789

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:06 am

Please continue discussion in Caribbean Aviation Thread 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437879
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos