99NY

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Aruba Airlines has seen most of its fleet banned from operating in the airspace controlled by the DC-ANSP.

http://bes-reporter.com/index.php/2019/ ... -services/

A388

Wed May 29, 2019 2:25 pm

The ban for Aruba Airlines has been lifted already so they can use the airspace again.

A388

aa1818

Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 pm

caribny wrote:

CUR and SDQ can be incorporated into the POS KIN route. There is KIN CUR VFR traffic.

I think that they are applying for KIN GCM, not KIN SDQ. I bet GCM is dragging their feet as that route has been very good for KX.

I believe there were two separate applications. My mistake- on further examination the applications were KIN-GCM-KIN and KIN-HAV-KIN.

One Caribbean, an airline with a single Beechcraft 1900D starting to fly a Boeing 747...and we wonder why the private sector in the Caribbean can't run a successful international airline. WE just DON'T get it! Laughable. I mean it is sad to admit but no one in the private sector understands or has the commercial sensibilities for commercial aviation.

Cheers,
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

LightChop2Chop

Thu May 30, 2019 7:01 pm

aa1818 wrote:
caribny wrote:

One Caribbean, an airline with a single Beechcraft 1900D starting to fly a Boeing 747...and we wonder why the private sector in the Caribbean can't run a successful international airline. WE just DON'T get it! Laughable. I mean it is sad to admit but no one in the private sector understands or has the commercial sensibilities for commercial aviation.

Cheers,
AA1818

a 744 is very laughable. but who are we to judge, maybe they have a cargo contract to ship rum and coconuts? :D

Seriously though, CAL is successful, as is Air Caraibes. There are some smaller international carries that are profitable too. Tropic Air down there in Belize and InterCaribbean are by all accounts profitably run.

caribny

Thu May 30, 2019 9:36 pm

This One Caribbean episode I think stinks of gov't/private sector corruption. Its too ludicrous for one to think that rational people are involved. Some say that the plan will be used for charters and based out od Dubai. So why assign it to SVD and jeopardize the ECCAA's cat 1 status? Clearly someone thinks that they are getting political protection.

caribbean484

Fri May 31, 2019 12:42 am

Been a while since I posted nice the see the forum flowing

aa1818 wrote:
caribny wrote:

CUR and SDQ can be incorporated into the POS KIN route. There is KIN CUR VFR traffic.

I think that they are applying for KIN GCM, not KIN SDQ. I bet GCM is dragging their feet as that route has been very good for KX.

AA1818

I heard POS-CUR will be coming soon, and we already say KIN-GCM and HAV on the application list for new routes. Hopefully SDQ will be on the horizon, lots of potential there.

NAX737MAX wrote:
How is the new flight between Kingston and Bridgetown doing?

I heard its doing good, loads are good more so in business. They puropose was to get more utilization from the KIN fleet so it was a low risk opportunity. Also freeing up seats on the POS-KIN sector.

LightChop2Chop wrote:
747-400 service SVD DXB (according to the link). Let’s see how quick they burn through $100mil.

caribny wrote:
This One Caribbean episode I think stinks of gov't/private sector corruption. Its too ludicrous for one to think that rational people are involved. Some say that the plan will be used for charters and based out od Dubai. So why assign it to SVD and jeopardize the ECCAA's cat 1 status? Clearly someone thinks that they are getting political protection.

Well if we want to see corruption Caribbean stlye, that's just one glaring example.
All ah we is one family

caribny

Fri May 31, 2019 3:45 am

No surprise that BGI KIN nonstop is doing well. Flying that route with 2 stops (one at POS with a change of crew and sometimes aircraft) would have been a challenge. It also frees up some seats on the BGI POS sector as some KIN bound travelers will be on the nonstop service instead of traveling via POS. It also opens up seats in the event that SDQ and/or CUR are added as new stop(s) enroute to KIN.

And yes BW has under utilized planes in KIN as they have reduced service to the USA from Jamaica.

n2dru

Fri May 31, 2019 4:40 am

Anyone think DL will reenter the Barbados or Trinidad markets again? From ATL or JFK? UA makes IAH and EWR work and AA even makes CLT work. Maybe its time DL reentered these markets.

Brickell305

Fri May 31, 2019 2:31 pm

n2dru wrote:
Anyone think DL will reenter the Barbados or Trinidad markets again? From ATL or JFK? UA makes IAH and EWR work and AA even makes CLT work. Maybe its time DL reentered these markets.

Re POS, I don't think so. NYC is now essentially a bloodbath with BW at 3x daily, B6 at 2x and UA at 1x. As you noted, they've tried ATL-POS in the past and it didn't work. I don't see why that would be any different now. POS works well on the heavy VFR/business markets like NYC, MIA/FLL and IAH, not so well from elsewhere. From ATL, DL would essentially have to be undercutting on price to/from the main source destinations to get people to choose the one-stop connect versus the nonstop flight. I don't see how that could make money especially since the largest source markets are all already extremely well served.

Re BGI, I think it's possible. AA runs CLT-BGI daily and a hypothetical ATL-BGI would likely attract similar pax. Unlike POS, BGI's tourism appeal could draw enough DL FFs to fill flights. I think however, DL has essentially put their ATL-E. Caribbean eggs in the UVF basket as that destination has done and continues to do extremely well for them. From NYC, it's also a possibility. B6 is up to four flights on some days out of NYC during peak season and they have absolutely no competition. I'm sure DL could fill at least a once daily during peak period. However, there must also be some reason that only B6 seems to be interested in or able to effectively serve BGI out of NYC.

I think BGI's chances are better, especially out of JFK but I wouldn't hold my breath for either.

n2dru

Fri May 31, 2019 2:59 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
n2dru wrote:

Re POS, I don't think so. NYC is now essentially a bloodbath with BW at 3x daily, B6 at 2x and UA at 1x. As you noted, they've tried ATL-POS in the past and it didn't work. I don't see why that would be any different now. POS works well on the heavy VFR/business markets like NYC, MIA/FLL and IAH, not so well from elsewhere. From ATL, DL would essentially have to be undercutting on price to/from the main source destinations to get people to choose the one-stop connect versus the nonstop flight. I don't see how that could make money especially since the largest source markets are all already extremely well served.

Re BGI, I think it's possible. AA runs CLT-BGI daily and a hypothetical ATL-BGI would likely attract similar pax. Unlike POS, BGI's tourism appeal could draw enough DL FFs to fill flights. I think however, DL has essentially put their ATL-E. Caribbean eggs in the UVF basket as that destination has done and continues to do extremely well for them. From NYC, it's also a possibility. B6 is up to four flights on some days out of NYC during peak season and they have absolutely no competition. I'm sure DL could fill at least a once daily during peak period. However, there must also be some reason that only B6 seems to be interested in or able to effectively serve BGI out of NYC.

I think BGI's chances are better, especially out of JFK but I wouldn't hold my breath for either.

Thanks, I see your points. BGI does seem like the stronger contender if DL did want to reenter.

AEROFAN

Fri May 31, 2019 7:39 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
n2dru wrote:

Before B6 ran AA off the route, I used to be able to fly JFK/BGI at the most popular time i.e. Christmas for $600-650. Last Christmas, the cheapest flight was over $1,200. needless to say- I stayed States side for Christmas...

danipawa

Fri May 31, 2019 8:02 pm

Sky High received their second ERJ145 N811HK yesterday. One more to be added this summer for a total of 3

caribny

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:25 am

DL already tried BGI not that long ago and decided to leave. Fares can get quite low outside of peak periods. MIA BGI is $210 R/T (excl taxes) and JFK BGI is $260 (excl fees). With AA at daily on the CLT BGI maybe DL isnt going to compete out of ATL. I am fairly sure that this route is an MRG.

BWA900

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:49 pm

caribny wrote:
DL already tried BGI not that long ago and decided to leave. Fares can get quite low outside of peak periods. MIA BGI is $210 R/T (excl taxes) and JFK BGI is $260 (excl fees). With AA at daily on the CLT BGI maybe DL isnt going to compete out of ATL. I am fairly sure that this route is an MRG.

Delta's approach to BGI was rather lackluster if you look back at history. They had the opportunity almost a decade before CLT was even thought to be proposed as daily. DL flew twice a week with solid loads whereas, they'd fly daily sometimes from two cities to smaller Caribbean destinations. This was also before B6 had their rapid expansion in BGI. However, I remember that there was an issue with regards to payment between the government and Delta, not sure if anyone knows more about that matter?
Flown: A300 A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A350 A380 B717 B735 B737 B738 B739 B38M B744 B752 B753 B763 B772ER B772LR B77W B788 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9

BWA900

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
n2dru wrote:

DL already flew JFK/BGI/ATL as a triangle route when they were re-entered . Doubt they would try JFK again.
Flown: A300 A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A350 A380 B717 B735 B737 B738 B739 B38M B744 B752 B753 B763 B772ER B772LR B77W B788 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9

baje427

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:46 am

The daily BGI-CLT is seasonal,I am not sure it will be returning this year. I dont think DL will be returning to BGI as B6 and AA have the market covered however, if the Beaches property goes ahead perhaps DL will try again.

Brickell305

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:59 pm

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/cari ... iat-shares

Barbados PM announces sale of LIAT shares
Wednesday | June 5, 2019

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC

The Barbados government Tuesday night formally announced plans to sell its shares in the cash-strapped regional airline, LIAT.

But, it insisted that it was committed to regional transportation and would continue to hold minimum shares in the Antigua-based carrier.

Barbados along with Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Grenada and St Vincent and the Grenadines are the main shareholders of the airline that employs over 600 people and operates 491 flights weekly across 15 destinations.

Prime Minister Mia Mottley, in a statement to Parliament, confirmed reports that Antigua and Barbuda would be seeking to replace Barbados as the largest shareholder government by seeking to acquire the shares Bridgetown would be outing up for sale.

She said that Attorney General Dale Marshall would lead the negotiations.

“There is only so much that Barbados can responsibly do at this time given our current circumstances and our current position on the journey which I referred to just now,” she said, having earlier made reference to the island’s multi-million dollar agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to turn around the ailing economy.

“Therefore…notwithstanding our absolute commitment to regional air travel and notwithstanding the fact and given in fact that the studies have recommended a different module and restructuring for LIAT and given the inability of the government of Barbados to do for LIAT in the next five to 10 years what the government of Barbados did for LIAT in the last five to 10 years when we moved significantly to assume major shareholder responsibilities, we have taken the determination, a decision as a cabinet that it is time for us to step back while at the same time allowing other governments to continue with their proposals to restructure LIAT in the way which they have determined.”

Last month, Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne said he had received communication from Barbados indicating that Bridgetown was willing to sell all but 10 per cent of its shares in the airline that serves 15 Caribbean destinations.

Antigua and Barbuda currently holds 34 per cent of the shares and if it succeeds in convincing Bridgetown to part with its LIAT shares, would have 81 per cent of the airline.

trini81

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:59 am

aa1818 wrote:
trini81 wrote:
Interesting article on St Lucia wanting to quit from the Eastern Caribbean regional civil aviation regional authority....

http://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/ne ... -regulator

To note... it confirms the rumours of flights from St Lucia to Jamaica....
On another note CAL is expected to launch flights from POS to CUR soon let's see how this goes.....

Do we have a source or any official confirmation on this? CUR would be a good add. Perhaps too AUA.

I noticed in another thread, CAL has officially applied to the JCAA for rights to serve KIN-HAV and KIN-SDQ with the 738 each twice per week from July 1 2019. I'm guessing this is still subject to regulatory approval since one month out one would expect the flights to be bookable.

CUR and SDQ (out of KIN) would be good ads I believe though I think that ex-Jamaica the 738 is a bit much.

Cheers,
AA1818

Confirmation of the CUR route by Cal starting August 2019

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/cal-to-b ... 4224b9e3da

Flights would be on Mondays and Fridays from POS/CUR/POS

Brickell305

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:19 pm

trini81 wrote:
aa1818 wrote:
trini81 wrote:
Interesting article on St Lucia wanting to quit from the Eastern Caribbean regional civil aviation regional authority....

http://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/ne ... -regulator

To note... it confirms the rumours of flights from St Lucia to Jamaica....
On another note CAL is expected to launch flights from POS to CUR soon let's see how this goes.....

Do we have a source or any official confirmation on this? CUR would be a good add. Perhaps too AUA.

I noticed in another thread, CAL has officially applied to the JCAA for rights to serve KIN-HAV and KIN-SDQ with the 738 each twice per week from July 1 2019. I'm guessing this is still subject to regulatory approval since one month out one would expect the flights to be bookable.

CUR and SDQ (out of KIN) would be good ads I believe though I think that ex-Jamaica the 738 is a bit much.

Cheers,
AA1818

ATR or 737?

LightChop2Chop

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Maybe CAL should try 2xweekly KIN BZE. There seems to be decent traffic there. 738 might be overkill though

gunnerman

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
trini81 wrote:
aa1818 wrote:

Cheers,
AA1818

ATR or 737?

The 1h 40m flight time suggests the ATR.

danipawa

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:38 am

American launched SDQ-DFW (Summer Seasonal) and SDQ-CLT (YR) today

caribny

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:52 am

SDQ seems to be getting lots of nontraditional gateways these days.

caribny

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:10 am

gunnerman wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
trini81 wrote:

ATR or 737?

PY does POS CUR in 1:30 hours. BW does its POS CCS in just under 2 hours and this is shorter than to CUR. I think its a 738 and it will have to be to compete against PY which appears to have increased its flights to 5x.

danipawa

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Intercaribbean is using their jets finally from PLS to SDQ/STI ans NAS

2travel2know2

Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:40 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:
Maybe CAL should try 2xweekly KIN BZE. There seems to be decent traffic there. 738 might be overkill though
Not if it's routed KIN-GCM-BZE
I'm not on CM's payroll.

LightChop2Chop

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:01 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
LightChop2Chop wrote:

Now that would be a nice milk run. GEO POS BGI KIN GCM BZE :D

BWA900

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:11 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
LightChop2Chop wrote:

Precisely. IMHO its time the english speaking Caribbean is connected without having to route via PTY or MIA/FLL. The 738 on POS-CUR does seem like an overkill.. surprised it was not tagged without KIN or MIA.

2travel2know2

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:52 pm

BWA900 wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
LightChop2Chop wrote:

Precisely. IMHO its time the english speaking Caribbean is connected without having to route via PTY or MIA/FLL. The 738 on POS-CUR does seem like an overkill.. surprised it was not tagged without KIN or MIA.
So far PTY isn't that great of an option if someone wants to fly between BGI/GEO/POS and KIN/NAS/BZE or KIN and NAS/BZE.
POS-CUR-KIN, be CUR-KIN non-stop or via SDQ or PAP could improve loads. Also good if ends in HAV, BZE or NAS.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

caribny

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:23 pm

BWA900 wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
LightChop2Chop wrote:

Why? PY is currently doing 4/5x weekly and PBM CUR doesnt seem to be that vast as they never filled the gap left by Insel. There is also feed from GEO and BGI. Insel used to run flights into GEO from CUR and now no one covers this market.

BZE is actually a risk as their ties to the English speaking Caribbean are limited. Their links are to the USA and BZE is now a mainly Latin oriented nation. Almost 60% are Spanish fluent.

At some point it will make sense to extend this service to KIN, given that no service currently exists between that city and CUR. But while route rights are negotiated getting market share from PY makes sense.

A388

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:45 pm

I'm vey glad Caribbean Airlines finally will serve Curacao, I approached them years ago but the interest wasn't really there at the time. I read their CUR flights are timed for onward connections to several Caribbean destination such as BGI and also to JFK. I wish them all the best on their CUR entry. Hopefully we will see their 737-MAX8 jets too in the future. Keeping my fingers crossed.

A388

gunnerman

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:01 pm

It's hard to believe but One Caribbean, operator of a single King Air B200, has acquired a 747-400 from China Airlines which was flown into SVG and an application has been made to ECCAA to put the aircraft onto the on the register of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. There are media reports that it's planned to operate flights between SVG and DXB (just as hard to believe). Clearly someone has money and wants prestige.
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2019-06-20/eccaa-seeks-faa-guidance-over-st-vincent-747-400-registration-plan

caribny

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:55 am

gunnerman wrote:
It's hard to believe but One Caribbean, operator of a single King Air B200, has acquired a 747-400 from China Airlines which was flown into SVG and an application has been made to ECCAA to put the aircraft onto the on the register of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. There are media reports that it's planned to operate flights between SVG and DXB (just as hard to believe). Clearly someone has money and wants prestige.
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2019-06-20/eccaa-seeks-faa-guidance-over-st-vincent-747-400-registration-plan

Not a commercial route. Just somebody trying to park their AOC with SVD. Hopefully the ECCAA turns it down. If there is no demand for DXB to t6he DR, Jamaica or T&T clearly this isnt to SVD. They dont even have service from LON.

baje427

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Does anyone know how CM is doing in BGI? They dont seem to advertise much .

Brickell305

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm

baje427 wrote:

Dunno how the route is performing. However re advertising, I recently flew Copa and they seem to be advertising Barbados heavily inflight and also at PTY. I do believe Barbados and Salta, Argentina are their current featured destinations.

caribbean484

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:36 pm

baje427 wrote:

Shouldn't our resident Barbadians give some info on this? TBH when in POS I don't see COPA advertise much, however I am told loads are good.

gunnerman wrote:

It will be on the 738; the ATRs are already stretched as it is with most flights demands to TAB.

danipawa wrote:

Nice more diversity to the network.

It seems Suriname Airways is looking to replace the A340 to 777, which will require them to obtain ETOPs 180. The article says the airline's maintenance will be done by Boeing (Must be a subcontractor). It is said to be ex-Singapore, however I think Singapore typically removes their interior when returning planes? or its it the Business and First class seats. Will be interesting to see going forward.

Surinam Airways Replacing A340 With 777
https://onemileatatime.com/surinam-airways-777/

Also Barbados is willing to sell its shares in LIAT to ANU, this will also be interesting to watch of what happens to LIAT, as the airline is treated as a government transit services, with extremely poor financial performance.
All ah we is one family

windian425

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:03 pm

CM flights to BGI are doing well from all reports. They are able to upgrade to 73G and 738's when necessary as the E190's don't provide enough capacity during peak periods.

Brickell305

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:38 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
baje427 wrote:

Shouldn't our resident Barbadians give some info on this? TBH when in POS I don't see COPA advertise much, however I am told loads are good.

gunnerman wrote:

It will be on the 738; the ATRs are already stretched as it is with most flights demands to TAB.

danipawa wrote:

Nice more diversity to the network.

It seems Suriname Airways is looking to replace the A340 to 777, which will require them to obtain ETOPs 180. The article says the airline's maintenance will be done by Boeing (Must be a subcontractor). It is said to be ex-Singapore, however I think Singapore typically removes their interior when returning planes? or its it the Business and First class seats. Will be interesting to see going forward.

Surinam Airways Replacing A340 With 777
https://onemileatatime.com/surinam-airways-777/

Also Barbados is willing to sell its shares in LIAT to ANU, this will also be interesting to watch of what happens to LIAT, as the airline is treated as a government transit services, with extremely poor financial performance.

Re LIAT, I suspect Barbados was willing to sell its shares and reduce its majority stake as it was tired of being called upon to dump more money into the LIAT pit. That coupled with the pressure they are likely facing from the IMF probably made this a pretty easy decision. Also, I don’t really see what they stand to lose. I don’t foresee LIAT dropping many routes out of BGI as the southern flights help keep LIAT afloat financially. This is likely a play by the government of ANU to ensure that there aren’t further reductions to routes there and to ensure that the main base remains. ANU is much more dependent on LI employment wise than BGI is and had more to lose from a LI folding or a further shift in flights to the south of the region.

I just find it interesting that the past few months have been spent trying to appeal to the regional governments to invest more in LI and to increase shared ownership and now the end result appears to be the exact opposite occurring with LI ownership now more heavily concentrated than it has been in recent times.

baje427

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:36 pm

Thanks for the replies re:CM in BGI. On the Liat front I believe Barbados's divestment is IMF driven also the government may have also realised like St.Lucia that most of the profitable routes come through BGI so there is no need to keep sinking in the support.

caribny

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:30 am

LIAT's northern routes are already been severely cut. Others like Inter Caribbean and Winair are gobbling up market share. LI used to have a thriving market on the SXM SKB and they let Winair runaway with that market. Ditto passengers traveling between EIS and the UK (via ANU) who now use Inter Caribbean to connect with the UK carriers..

danipawa

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:54 pm

Some Updates:

Sky High 2nd ERJ entered service today as HI1052 Ex N811HK, 3rd one due to arrive next week HI1053 (N810HK)

current fleet: 2 B1900 HI1007, HI1017, 1 JS41 HI1013 (Stored), 3 ERJ145 HI1024, HI1052, HI1053 (Maintentance USA)

Curacao: JetairCaribbean near launch ops, first F70 reg PJ-JAC ex PH-KZD, 2nd one landed last week at CUR as 2-JACC

Intercaribbean launching Tortola - Santiago de los Caballeros starting Jul 20 EMB120

danipawa

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:25 am

2nd ERJ145 sky High Aviation Services HI1052:

[YOUTUBE]pAkGobsKySk[/YOUTUBE]

BonaireFly

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 pm

Jesus christ can someone sponsor this airline an actual livery?

Side note: Glad to see them growing!

gunnerman

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Dominican Republic's Minister of Foreign Affairs Miguel Maldonado expressed to the Antigua Prime Minister an interest in the resumption of LIAT service to the DR. Here is the web page (in Spanish).
https://www.arecoa.com/destinos/2019/07/08/canciller-plantea-interes-liat-airlines-retome-vuelos-hacia-rd/

baje427

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:39 pm

Talks between the Antiguan and Barbadian governments have broken down re:Liat.

Brickell305

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:52 am

baje427 wrote:

So after all the drama this year, LIAT is back at square one?!

LimaFoxTango

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 am

Brickell305 wrote:
baje427 wrote:

So after all the drama this year, LIAT is back at square one?!

Many on the inside predicted this outcome. It is no surprise.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

danipawa

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:21 am

3rd ERJ145 for Sky landed at SDQ, N810HK to become HI1053. With this one planning Colombia ops to Medellin and Barranquilla and adding St Thomas and Port Au Prince to the network

Brickell305

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 pm

LIAT talks between Barbados and Antigua break down
Dominica News Online - Thursday, July 11th, 2019 at 2:52 PM

Reports coming out of Bridgetown indicate that negotiations on the sale of LIAT shares between Barbados and Antigua and Barbuda have broken down.

Barbados TODAY reported today ,Thursday, that talks between the teams from Antigua and Barbuda and Barbados, which took place last Monday at the Hilton Hotel lasted only a few hours before stalling.

The visiting team subsequently left the island without a deal being reached, the newspaper said.

Barbados’ negotiation team was led by Attorney General Dale Marshall and also included Minister for Tourism Kerrie Symmonds and Director of Finance and Economic Affairs, Ian Carrington.

According to reports, the home team was not impressed with what Antigua and Barbuda brought to the negotiating table.

Meanwhile a source out of Antigua and Barbuda said it did not appear a deal would be struck anytime soon.

“The outcome so far does not reflect that the two sides are anywhere close to Barbados selling even a portion of its sales. It does not look probable for the near future,” the source added.

The source revealed that among the sticking points to Barbados selling its 49.4 per cent majority stake in LIAT was Prime Minister Mia Mottley’s insistence that Antigua and Barbuda would have to take up Barbados’ almost $100 million loan commitments.

That debt is due mainly to a loan from the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) which was used to purchase three LIAT aircraft.

Additionally, the well-placed source said Barbados’ negotiators had also asked for a guarantee from St John’s that LIAT staff in Brigdetown would not be sacrificed at the expense of staff from Antigua and Barbuda.

The source pointed out that Barbados was not fearful of LIAT pulling any of its flights from the island, as Barbados accounted for five of the six profitable routes traveled by the cash-strapped regional airline.

“Any move to pull LIAT flights out of Barbados would lead to an immediate collapse of the airline,” the source maintained.

LIAT serves 15 Caribbean destinations with almost 500 flights.

The breakdown in talks has come just over a month after Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda Gaston Browne announced that Barbados had agreed to sell almost all of its shares.

The sale would make Antigua and Barbuda, which currently has a 34 per cent ownership in LIAT, the majority owner.

Following Browne’s declaration and after weeks of speculation, Mottley revealed Government’s plans to sell its shares.

In explaining her reasons for offering the shares for sale, the Prime Minister maintained that Barbados simply was not in a financial position to support LIAT due to the country’s current economic position and as a result had made a decision to “take a step back”.

While admitting the regional airline was in need of an overhaul, the Prime Minister promised that Barbados would continue to support intra-regional travel.

“The current model which LIAT has within the 1974 limited is not an attractive model and what is needed is significant restructuring; indeed a new model of governance, a new financial model and a new operational model in order for it to be able to extract greater benefits and provide the services which it does,” Mottley said at the time.

https://dominicanewsonline.com/news/hom ... eaks-down/

My biggest takeaway from this is that LI only has six profitable routes and of those six, only one doesn't go through BGI. My guesses for the profitable routes out of BGI are BGI-OGL/SLU/SVD/ANU/GND. I wonder what the profitable non-BGI route is.

windian425

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:33 pm

That would be BGI-POS

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos