B595
Topic Author

3 Southwest special liveries landing in a row at SJC

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:03 am

This past Sunday afternoon (the 30th) three Southwest special liveries landed one after the other at SJC:

Colorado One (SW5638 from SNA at 328pm)
Tennessee One (SW3389 from BUR at 338pm)
Triple Crown One (SW362 from LAS aT 340pm)

These are straight from flightradar24, but I personally saw Tennessee One and Triple Crown One go overhead on final to 30L, so this isn’t false news from fr24.

Was this just a freak of scheduling, or does Southwest plan it this way? Be interested to hear from any Southwest people.

Bradin

Re: 3 Southwest special liveries landing in a row at SJC

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:57 am

I remember a story (either read it here or somewhere else) that when an Alaska Airlines Salmon Thirty Seven was spotted at SEA, Southwest dispatchers rerouted all three Seaworld Orca themed 737s to visit SEA that day.

jetmatt777

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:06 am

I’ll say it was pure scheduling coincidence. Knowing the airlines, if they had planned it to happen the plans would have fallen apart. Usually when the stars line up in an airline operation humans were not involved :)

Happy new year
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

727LOVER

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:25 am

Bradin wrote:
I remember a story (either read it here or somewhere else) that when an Alaska Airlines Salmon Thirty Seven was spotted at SEA, Southwest dispatchers rerouted all three Seaworld Orca themed 737s to visit SEA that day.

IIRC....it was actually five aircraft. They had painted the two -700s, but the two -500s still had it.

I could be wrong
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

barney captain

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:00 am

727LOVER wrote:
Bradin wrote:

IIRC....it was actually five aircraft. They had painted the two -700s, but the two -500s still had it.

I could be wrong

You are correct, it was all 5 Shamu’s and it was the day AS revealed their salmon livery.
Southeast Of Disorder

B595
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:02 am

Thanks for your responses. I figured this was basically a "black swan" event. But prob & stats aside, these special liveries are great marketing for Southwest. Even my non-aviation wife and friends ooh-ed and aww-ed as Tennessee One went over.

Happy New Year

BoeingGuy

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:12 pm

barney captain wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
Bradin wrote:

I could be wrong

You are correct, it was all 5 Shamu’s and it was the day AS revealed their salmon livery.

That’s actually kind of funny. A little friendly one-up-manship in the part of WN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos