WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:02 pm

You're right. I've flown in Makani Kai's Grand Caravan HNL/MKK... yes, it's a single. My point about the Grand Caravan to HPV is that I assume reduced payload with a single, so yields must be worse that with the Chieftain. Otherwise, why wouldn't they fly the C208?
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:13 pm

Honu (NH A380) visits HNL on first test flight.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/04/ ... u-airport/
 
77H
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:53 am

WPvsMW wrote:
You're right. I've flown in Makani Kai's Grand Caravan HNL/MKK... yes, it's a single. My point about the Grand Caravan to HPV is that I assume reduced payload with a single, so yields must be worse that with the Chieftain. Otherwise, why wouldn't they fly the C208?


The runway at HPV is longer than JHM’s runway. Makani Kai and MW both operate C208s from there. Payload isn’t the issue.

My understanding is it has to do with the overwater distance between Oahu and Kauai not permitted while carrying passengers under Pt 135. I’m not sure the reg but think of it like the single engine analogous of ETOPS.
It is the same reason MW doesn’t fly to Kauai.

77H
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:23 pm

You're right.
FAR § 135.183
Performance requirements: Land aircraft operated over water.
No person may operate a land aircraft carrying passengers over water unless—
(a) It is operated at an altitude that allows it to reach land in the case of engine failure;
 
vfw614
Posts: 3786
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:27 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
Makani Kai (non-member of IATA, no code) will launch HNL/HPV (Princeville, N. shore of Kauai) service on 01 May 2019 operating its 9-pax Piper Chieftain piston twins. By inference, their Cessna Grand Caravan twins can't operate from the 3,560 ft. strip at HPV with acceptable yields.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/04/ ... u-flights/
https://www.kitv.com/story/40325224/kau ... r-20-years

HPV was originally the home of Princeville Airways, which evolved into Island Air (RIP 2017), but stopped service to HPV almost 25 years ago. With the frequent closures of Prince Kuhio Hwy due to accidents, and the growth of Princeville development, the HNL/HPV service may survive.


What use has HPV seen since the departure of scheduled services? Very little information on the airport available on the internet.
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 pm

A Caravan can only be like 25 or 26 miles from shore- depends on how far it can glide. Thats why Mokulele will hug the Kohala Coast before turning north when flying Kona to Maui.
xx
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:19 am

vfw614 wrote:
What use has HPV seen since the departure of scheduled services? Very little information on the airport available on the internet.


Since interisland service stopped about 25 years ago, activity at HPV (privately owned by Princeville Corp., the developer of Princeville) has been helicopter tours and private jet charters.
 
c933103
Posts: 3808
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:21 pm

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/190412.html
JAL is providing not just self check in kiosk but also self baggage drop for passengers to check in baggage by themselves at the HNL airport
Does that mean most passengers will not need to interact with JAL staffs before they arrive at gate?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:44 am

Yes, in theory.... just like HA's baggage-check kiosks in HNL Terminal 1, but even better, since JL's system doesn't require you to queue in line to hand over your checked bag(s) to a screener. Moving 2 suitcases down the queue in Terminal 1 is quite a dance (but you'd be in Terminal 2 if flying HA to Japan). Flying HA from HNL has a unique set of challenges that no other carriers have. http://hidot.hawaii.gov/airports/hawaii ... ns-at-hnl/
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:17 am

Mokulele Airways (MW) resumes OGG/LNY (Lanai City)... Grand Caravans (unless they use one of their two Pilatus PC-12s).
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/04/ ... and-lanai/

MW is now owned by Southern Airways (9X), which has been on a buying spree.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:28 am

WN starts interisland service on 28 April 2019, HNL/OGG, 4x daily. HNL/KOA starts 12 May, 4x daily.
New TPAC service: SJC/OGG starts 05 May. SJC/HNL starts 26 May. Connection "bank" at HNL to enable OAK/KOA and SJC/KOA.

Tom Nealon (WN Pres.): Pax "satisfaction with the in-flight [TPAC on WN] experience is actually higher than the rest of our system.”
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/04/ ... 00f2528ce1

Kudos to WN's network planners and flight ops. To date, flawless.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1675
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:29 pm

I recently just got home from my first WN HNL trip thanks to the cheap kick off fare sale. While in HNL I hooked up with a long ago WN friend to discuss all things HNL.
He said they were told recently because of the MAX8 grounding SMF-HNL and SMF-OGG starts in the first week of August.
Inter island HNL-LIH sometime in Early October.
HNL-SAN and OGG-SAN in Mid November.

Everything else pushed to spring & summer 2020.

The MAX8 grounding pushed a massive summer expansion from 2019 into 2020.

He didn't have any information on when anything would go on sale.
But given that HNL-OGG starts on Sunday I'm gonna guess something will be announced during the service kickoff ceremony in HNL.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
Justjoshua
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:45 pm

I work for southwest. Nobody has told us anything about SMF Hawaii service being delayed until 2020. Your friend is telling u rumors
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4577
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:13 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
I recently just got home from my first WN HNL trip thanks to the cheap kick off fare sale. While in HNL I hooked up with a long ago WN friend to discuss all things HNL.
He said they were told recently because of the MAX8 grounding SMF-HNL and SMF-OGG starts in the first week of August.
Inter island HNL-LIH sometime in Early October.
HNL-SAN and OGG-SAN in Mid November.

Everything else pushed to spring & summer 2020.

The MAX8 grounding pushed a massive summer expansion from 2019 into 2020.

He didn't have any information on when anything would go on sale.
But given that HNL-OGG starts on Sunday I'm gonna guess something will be announced during the service kickoff ceremony in HNL.

Flyguy


Employees have been given a report date for LIH earlier than your timeline suggests. Last I heard it still wasn’t known how the MAX timeline could impact Hawaii service so like everything else regarding Hawaii timelines, it’s all rumor.

You keep expecting announcements at local kickoff ceremonies but it never happens. I wouldn’t expect this to be any different.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Justjoshua wrote:
I work for southwest. Nobody has told us anything about SMF Hawaii service being delayed until 2020. Your friend is telling u rumors


Justjoshua, welcome to a.nut.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Second Honu test flight to HNL completed, shown at renovated gate C4 (old gate 29).
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/05/ ... a-big-way/
Link has link to pix of a/c F, J, and cockpit: pix 18-20. Go "backwards" from pix 1 to avoid smiling governor and lounge shots.
How can JL compete with bidet toilets in every lav?
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat May 25, 2019 12:26 pm

NH commenced (24 May 2019) regular service, HNL/TYO, on Honu (A380 in sea turtle livery).
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/05/ ... and-tokyo/

HNL has NH's only NH-operated overseas lounge (F pax only). The mediocre UA/NH joint lounge will remain open.

ANA will add a second A380 to the Hawaii market in July and a third in July of 2020.
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat May 25, 2019 2:45 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
NH commenced (24 May 2019) regular service, HNL/TYO, on Honu (A380 in sea turtle livery).
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/05/ ... and-tokyo/

HNL has NH's only NH-operated overseas lounge (F pax only). The mediocre UA/NH joint lounge will remain open.

ANA will add a second A380 to the Hawaii market in July and a third in July of 2020.


I am still not understanding some of NH's logic with this A380 venture.

> first off...having a sub-fleet of only 3 frames of one type has got to be an expensive proposition

> what do they need F-class for to what is largely a leisure/beach market? I have suspected for some time that they configured them with F because they eventually will put them on a few frequencies to markets like JFK/LAX/LHR during periods of lower Hawaii demand, but if not...???

> given that the F cabin only has EIGHT seats, why on EARTH do they need a F-class lounge which seats SEVENTY???? Is it going to be a joint-use F-class lounge for other Star carriers as well as NH?

> seems to me J-class is rather large for a leisure/beach market (min. 10+ seats more than the 787's they've been flying to HNL); maybe they can fill it, I don't know, but I would think a smaller J-cabin around the same size as the 787's but a bigger Prem. Econ. cabin would have been in order. However, again, if they've got a secret plan to deploy these to JFK/LAX/LHR as I mentioned above, well then yeah, the large J-cabin makes sense.

> as a humorous aside...I hope those bidet-toilets are simpler to figure out how to use vs. the one we had in the master bath of the condo we stayed in at the Ilikai in HNL a couple years ago...you needed to be a NASA engineer to figure it out, which we gave up on LOL
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 27, 2019 11:59 pm

First... the easy question to answer. NH's target market is nihonjin, all of whom are certified operators of bidet toilets... even inakajin (country folk, some of whom went from squat toilets to bidet toilets).

The tougher question is the one you raised, cabin configuration on the Honu. My personal opinion is that NH is out to totally dominate TYO/HNL in a fare war after all three Honu are in operation. If NH's planners are correct, matching CASM with LF, they will succeed, to the detriment of JL, UA, DL, and HA in that city-pair. If there is a Plan B (JFK/LAX/LHR), I don't think we'll see it for a few years. Here's where it gets curiouser and curiouser... NH is selling J and F at astronomical fares... $10K for J and $15K for F.... 3 months advance. Y is $1K and W is $1.6K... about average. Could the F and J pricing be intended get *A elites to burn miles and certs?
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 28, 2019 12:12 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
First... the easy question to answer. NH's target market is nihonjin, all of whom are certified operators of bidet toilets... even inakajin (country folk, some of whom went from squat toilets to bidet toilets).

The tougher question is the one you raised, cabin configuration on the Honu. My personal opinion is that NH is out to totally dominate TYO/HNL in a fare war after all three Honu are in operation. If NH's planners are correct, matching CASM with LF, they will succeed, to the detriment of JL, UA, DL, and HA in that city-pair. If there is a Plan B (JFK/LAX/LHR), I don't think we'll see it for a few years. Here's where it gets curiouser and curiouser... NH is selling J and F at astronomical fares... $10K for J and $15K for F.... 3 months advance. Y is $1K and W is $1.6K... about average. Could the F and J pricing be intended get *A elites to burn miles and certs?


ROFL Well hopefully there is an instructional video on the IFE system for us poor gaijin!

As to your theory...I think I'll agree that they are certainly on track to dominate the market in terms of ASK's what with double-daily Honu's planned. The fares you mentioned are outrageous. Seriously? But your idea about that pricing being a nudge to get *A elites to burn miles doesn't make sense to me, because then they'd wind up filling all those J seats (and IMHO needless F seats) with non-rev. traffic, which would kill their RASM and yield. Mind I'm sure NH carries tons of cargo on the route, and will be able to increase that tonnage with Honu's, but I'm speaking strictly from a pax standpoint; I doubt NH intends to subsidize pax losses with cargo profits...that's just not sustainable if you ask me.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
highflier92660
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:16 am

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Why doesn't Ohana (by Hawaiian) fly into Princeville with their ATR42-500s? The regional turboprop has the capability to use the short 3,560 ft. runway although its 60 ft. width might make for a tight turning radius. One would think the number of luxury resorts around Princeville would more than fill the seats with premium passengers connecting from HNL.
 
CanesFan
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 29, 2019 4:40 pm

highflier92660 wrote:
Why doesn't Ohana (by Hawaiian) fly into Princeville with their ATR42-500s? The regional turboprop has the capability to use the short 3,560 ft. runway although its 60 ft. width might make for a tight turning radius. One would think the number of luxury resorts around Princeville would more than fill the seats with premium passengers connecting from HNL.


The weight bearing capacity only shows 30,000lbs for single wheel landing gear.
 
highflier92660
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:16 am

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 30, 2019 10:24 pm

Both Ohana's ATR42-500s and Island Air's DHC8-100s that used to land in Princeville are dual wheel aircraft. At the low gross weights flown on the short interisland route both aircraft are below the weight bearing capacity of the runway. Both the aircraft and adequacy of the airport facility are not issues so it's a bit of a mystery why a larger, more premium passenger friendly aircraft is not used.
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 30, 2019 11:22 pm

PVL has no TSA and it takes forever to get TSA into a new airport.
xx
 
CanesFan
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri May 31, 2019 1:31 am

highflier92660 wrote:
Both Ohana's ATR42-500s and Island Air's DHC8-100s that used to land in Princeville are dual wheel aircraft. At the low gross weights flown on the short interisland route both aircraft are below the weight bearing capacity of the runway. Both the aircraft and adequacy of the airport facility are not issues so it's a bit of a mystery why a larger, more premium passenger friendly aircraft is not used.


I'm aware that the ATR and Dash are both dual wheel aircraft. The single wheel weight limit is the only one published. When did either the ATR or Dash-8 serve Princeville? The largest airliner I can recall was the Twin Otter.
 
highflier92660
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:16 am

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:57 pm

CanesFan wrote:
highflier92660 wrote:
I'm aware that the ATR and Dash are both dual wheel aircraft. The single wheel weight limit is the only one published. When did either the ATR or Dash-8 serve Princeville? The largest airliner I can recall was the Twin Otter.


You are correct that passenger service into Princeville was via the 19-passenger Twin Otter. As far as I know there have been no ATR aircraft flown into the airport either. However in the mid 1990s I undestand (by way of someone who was flying tour helicopters at Princeville at the time) Island Air flew route-proving flights into the airport. The airline had recently taken delivery of a Dash 8-100 and perhaps was testing the viability of flying a 37-passenger Part 121 aircraft into there much like they did at Kapalua on Maui. From what he said the Dash-8 must have been at a very low gross weight because the takeoff roll was 2,000-feet or less.
 
MO11
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:34 pm

Princeville is not a certificated airport, so no scheduled ops with more than 9-seats.
 
sunking737
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:41 pm

Does anyone know how SY flights are doing load wise.?? Thanks
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:41 pm

IDK how SY is doing CONUS/HNL (IIRC, SY is not daily to HNL from any of SY's 3 gateways), but I think the new pilot base in PDX may be connected to SY's plans for Hawaii ... trying to preempt WN?
https://www.southwest.com/hawaii/
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Hawaiian to purchase a 787-9 flight simulator which will arrive in the second half of 2020

https://twitter.com/WandrMe/status/1138 ... 80961?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:57 am

Sad news. 9 souls died in fiery crash of a skydiving company's King Air at Dillingham Airfield on Oahu tonight (21 June 2019). Plane was landing. Debris field was 50' x 50', and on airport fence line bordering Farrington Hwy rather than on or near runway.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/06/ ... -mokuleia/
https://goo.gl/maps/W4AgsoaGKYPpVGt7A
Dillingham Airfield was converted from USAAF to general aviation after WWII, and commercial use is primarily by skydiving and soaring companies.

Operator of King Air not yet identified.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:06 pm

King Air operator identified as Oahu Parachute Center, the smallest of three skydiving companies based at Dillingham Airfield. Accident now thought to be upon takeoff.
(same link as preceding post; updated article)
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:13 pm

Beechcraft BE65-A90. Indications are it lost power in the L engine during TO, and may have been overweight (11 on board).
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/06/ ... 10ed22dfad
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Re: NH and F.

The wealthy Asian traffic has rebounded in Hawai'i. There *is* demand for a non-Y/non-cattle class product and I believe NH is doing their best to capture and own that market. NH is also not a HUGE participant in the ZED program, so I doubt you'll see any non-revs in those upper classes as they don't even offer the same level of flight benefits that most North American carriers offer.
xx
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Re: Beech A90 crash (highest fatality crash in the U.S. since 2011)
NTSB prelim report is out, but no root cause assessment yet. Likely to be W&B... tail-heavy, maybe overweight.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/07/ ... cb45048f24
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 pm

No FAA a/c registration, no skydiving ops certificate or lease from state DOT AptDiv, or employee documentation for the "parachute rigging" company behind the fatal crash.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/07/ ... f46e9fa9ed

IMO, "fly by night" doesn't capture the gross negligence/willful intent of the operator in this fact pattern.

If VIN numbers are checked in an auto inspection, one would hope that tail numbers are checked in an a/c inspection. Wait.... that assumes the a/c was inspected.
 
MO11
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:38 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
No FAA a/c registration, no skydiving ops certificate or lease from state DOT AptDiv, or employee documentation for the "parachute rigging" company behind the fatal crash.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/07/ ... f46e9fa9ed

IMO, "fly by night" doesn't capture the gross negligence/willful intent of the operator in this fact pattern.

If VIN numbers are checked in an auto inspection, one would hope that tail numbers are checked in an a/c inspection. Wait.... that assumes the a/c was inspected.


The article says that there was no aircraft registration with the Hawaii DOT ($10 fee). Probably because it was (FAA) registered in California. Nothing to do with the tail number.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm

WN's CONUS/HI and interisland service is outperforming remainder of WN network!
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/07/ ... ext-month/

Moreover, record performance for entire network in latest quarter, even with MAX groundings. Sheds some light on the EWR station closure ... more RSM in Hawaii.

WN maxes out :) Hawaii service.... all major airports interisland and added W. Coast gateways.
"The carrier soon plans to begin offering service to the Hawaiian islands from both Sacramento and San Diego, as well as bring Southwest service to both Lihue, on Kauai, and Hilo on Hawaii island."

Hawaii is a two mainline carrier market again.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:09 pm

WN's sales for its new CONUS routes (SMF/HNL, OAK/KOA, and SJC/LIH) and interisland routes (HNL/ITO, HNL/LIH, and ... KOA/OGG!!!) begin today (15 Aug 2019). Operation of those segments starts 19 Jan.2019... all without a base in HNL, and TMK, not even a RON. Sales also start today for OAK/LIH and SJC/KOA (ops start Jan. 21).

SAN/HNL planned for 1H2020.

"Interisland sales prices for travel through March 4 start at $29 one-way. Special trans-Pacific pricing starts at $99 each way. * * * Once we see what California does, we’ll see if we want to move further inland,” Watterson said."

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/08/ ... n-january/

HA's interisland fares on routes it shares with WN are now about half the fare prior to WN's entry.
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:00 pm

Well, Hawaii is certainly panning out to be a winner for them. Makes you wonder if now they wished they'd started is sooner!

I'll pass though and stick with HA for both PHX-Hawaii and inter-island...with AA as second fiddle for PHX-HI if I'm desperate.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14886
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
WN's sales for its new CONUS routes (SMF/HNL, OAK/KOA, and SJC/LIH) and interisland routes (HNL/ITO, HNL/LIH, and ... KOA/OGG!!!) begin today (15 Aug 2019). Operation of those segments starts 19 Jan.2019... all without a base in HNL, and TMK, not even a RON. Sales also start today for OAK/LIH and SJC/KOA (ops start Jan. 21).

SAN/HNL planned for 1H2020.

"Interisland sales prices for travel through March 4 start at $29 one-way. Special trans-Pacific pricing starts at $99 each way. * * * Once we see what California does, we’ll see if we want to move further inland,” Watterson said."

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/08/ ... n-january/

HA's interisland fares on routes it shares with WN are now about half the fare prior to WN's entry.

So more money losing prices locals will call fair. Then HA will go under and everyone will cry again. The cycle repeats.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:50 am

ikramerica wrote:
So more money losing prices locals will call fair. Then HA will go under and everyone will cry again. The cycle repeats.


Disagree. Locals call WN's fares "promotional", as does WN. When promotional inventory is sold out, WN and HA fares are roughly the same... but WN seems to have a larger inventory of promotional seats.

HA going under... no way. End of a monopoly, yes.
 
x1234
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:58 am

Any chance of Hawaiian with its new 787's offering service to GUM (Guam) to compete with UA!? Or service to Asian cities like HKG (when it calms down again) or SIN!? I know HA suspended service to TPE and PEK. It would be great for HA to try SIN as its a strategic port of the US Military and Singapore's in the VISA Waiver Program.
 
User avatar
jsnww81
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 3:29 am

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:17 am

Google Maps recently updated its aerial photography for HNL and you can clearly see the new Mauka Concourse under construction at the interisland terminal. Never thought I'd see the day.

Would be nice to see the sad-sack terminal buildings at OGG and LIH get a little bit of love. Other than having their roofs painted green. those facilities haven't changed in almost 30 years.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:48 am

Not only OGG and LIH, but KOA (no air bridges) and HNL ("wiki" buses... but "wiki" means quick, which they are not) would benefit from being managed by an Airport Authority. The bill to create an Airport Authority died in the 2019 Hawaii Legislature... for the FOURTH year in a row.
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3354
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:32 pm

x1234 wrote:
Any chance of Hawaiian with its new 787's offering service to GUM (Guam) to compete with UA!? Or service to Asian cities like HKG (when it calms down again) or SIN!? I know HA suspended service to TPE and PEK. It would be great for HA to try SIN as its a strategic port of the US Military and Singapore's in the VISA Waiver Program.


I don’t see the 787 going to Guam. I expect the 787 will initially be deployed on the longest routes and extending the network to places a bit beyond the A330s reach. The A330 can comfortably do HNL-GUM; I’m not sure about the A321neo (which feels to me like the perfect plane to open more island markets) but maybe the A321XLR (which Hawaiian hasn’t ordered).
 
77H
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:15 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
x1234 wrote:
Any chance of Hawaiian with its new 787's offering service to GUM (Guam) to compete with UA!? Or service to Asian cities like HKG (when it calms down again) or SIN!? I know HA suspended service to TPE and PEK. It would be great for HA to try SIN as its a strategic port of the US Military and Singapore's in the VISA Waiver Program.


I don’t see the 787 going to Guam. I expect the 787 will initially be deployed on the longest routes and extending the network to places a bit beyond the A330s reach. The A330 can comfortably do HNL-GUM; I’m not sure about the A321neo (which feels to me like the perfect plane to open more island markets) but maybe the A321XLR (which Hawaiian hasn’t ordered).


My understanding is that there is some sort of gentlemen’s agreement between UA and HA that keeps them from starting GUM in exchange for UA staying out of the Hawaiian inter island market. Maybe someone has more insight.

77H
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5517
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:01 pm

77H wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:
x1234 wrote:
Any chance of Hawaiian with its new 787's offering service to GUM (Guam) to compete with UA!? Or service to Asian cities like HKG (when it calms down again) or SIN!? I know HA suspended service to TPE and PEK. It would be great for HA to try SIN as its a strategic port of the US Military and Singapore's in the VISA Waiver Program.


I don’t see the 787 going to Guam. I expect the 787 will initially be deployed on the longest routes and extending the network to places a bit beyond the A330s reach. The A330 can comfortably do HNL-GUM; I’m not sure about the A321neo (which feels to me like the perfect plane to open more island markets) but maybe the A321XLR (which Hawaiian hasn’t ordered).


My understanding is that there is some sort of gentlemen’s agreement between UA and HA that keeps them from starting GUM in exchange for UA staying out of the Hawaiian inter island market. Maybe someone has more insight.

77H


I do not know everything related to it, but HA served GUM before with DC-8's & CO trounced them hard. HA did not have the most key ingredient to GUM, contracts with the US Government, cargo & passengers were routed on the daily CO DC-10 & 0f course the Island Hopper offered connections on both ends of the network.

http://www.departedflights.com/HA040289.html - One of my favorite HA route maps, I bet a couple of these past dots are ripe for the A-321neo's HA has & is continuing to receive.

I do not know if UA or CO had any gentleman's agreement, in Hawaii, when big local businesses are concerned anything is possible & the "rules" are confusing & inconsistent.

What I do know, it was a very aggressive pushback from the late Senator Inouye to keep UA out of the Inter Island market, he was able to prove that if UA entered that market it would kill an already ailing AQ causing a ripple effect in Hawaii's economy that could cause massive unemployment & the demand for social services like food stamps would far outweigh what Hawaii had budgeted & would eventually cause a ripple effect in Hawaii that would be felt across the state, but the lions share of the impact would have been on Oahu. UA would not or could not guarantee there would be enough jobs for locals after people with UA experience & seniority transferred to Hawaii. In addition UA wanted to run it's Inter Island flights from the Eva concourse for easy passenger connections & the airport was not wanting that.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:19 pm

I'm not sure by any means, but at 3,303nm I think HNL-GUM is outside the range of the 321neo, however the XLR may be able to do that. But as said above, HA hasn't ordered any XLR's. All that being said, I don't see HA going up against UA in the GUM market, certainly not with a 330 (or future 789) mainly due to the aforementioned lock UA has on govt. & military contracts. What traffic would HA get? Just the leisure market, and I think it would turn into a bloodbath fighting over that with UA. They've got better fish to fry, regardless of any gentleman's agreement, such as shown on that great route map RWA380 linked...Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, maybe a couple others...places UA nor anybody else would even think of flying to. The 321 would be the right amount of capacity for such routes on a less-than-daily basis. As already stated, those 789's are intended for new markets beyond the reach of the 330, and the last few 789's delivered will probably replace an equal number of older 330's which HA decides to retire...remember the 789 deliveries are stretched out over several years.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3354
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: Hawaii Airports and Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:58 pm

As far as the government contracts, remember those are rebid every year, so there is a chance for HA to grab GUM contracts from UA should HA decide to start flying to GUM. For fiscal year 2020, for example, SAN-HNL is Southwest. Those only apply to government personnel (including military when flying on scheduled flights); contractors traveling on government business would still fly according to their company policies.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos