UkiAir

Re: JetBlue Network Thread - 2019

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Abeam79 wrote:
I like the fish scales also on the neo! Pretty neat little subliminal nod to a new era of crossing oceans maybe? :scratchchin:

I didn't even think of that! Love it!

Blueknows

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:42 am

ents ago

https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/c ... -heathrow/

https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/c ... -heathrow/
Go to FAQ look at flight schedules. LHR IS NOT LISTED AS CITY THEY FLY.
Look at there posted schedule no
Listing of these flights leaving from LHR..i wonder who got those slots ???? B6????

fsafsx

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:45 pm

When jetblue announces Indy or Cbus as their next hub I want to see LHR.

ilive4planes

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:52 pm

fsafsx wrote:
When jetblue announces Indy or Cbus as their next hub I want to see LHR.

JetBlue will announce both of those cities eventually but I doubt there will be a JetBlue hub in the Midwest

tphuang

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:07 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-r ... a320-tour/
A pretty nice article on the A320 phase 2 retrofit. Can't wait to try one out.

Abeam79

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:20 am

tphuang wrote:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-retrofitted-a320-tour/

Wow! They are re-inventing the in flight experience yet again 20 years later. Looks remarkable! It seems like they are setting a platform for long haul flying. No other domestic cabin experience is up to par to this! (Que delta to start copying it soon. I always say, want to know what delta will do next? Look at jetblue now and wait like 5-8 years)

jfklganyc

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:40 am

Europe is for 2021.

It wont be listed on any drop down box.

Supposedly Look for a Michigan city to be announced

ikolkyo

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:43 am

Abeam79 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Wow! They are re-inventing the in flight experience yet again 20 years later. Looks remarkable! It seems like they are setting a platform for long haul flying. No other domestic cabin experience is up to par to this! (Que delta to start copying it soon. I always say, want to know what delta will do next? Look at jetblue now and wait like 5-8 years)

What is so revolutionary about this cabin? Seems to me they are playing catch-up since their previous A320 cabins are extremely outdated

flyby519

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:45 am

jfklganyc wrote:
Europe is for 2021.

Traverse City?!?! I hear it is the Nantucket of the Midwest! :rotfl:

SyracuseAvGeek

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:23 am

jfklganyc wrote:
Europe is for 2021.

When would such city be announced? I can see them maybe adding GRR, if they do add TVC it would only be seasonal.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

shamrock137

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:21 am

Abeam79 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Oh no.... do you know what you've done?? Don't you know you're not allowed to say JetBlue is better then Delta on a.net?? Que the pro Delta crowd to come flooding in explaining how the cabin on a CRJ-200 and an A320 with paid wifi is far superior to any JetBlue offering.... :roll:

ikolkyo wrote:

What is so revolutionary about this cabin? Seems to me they are playing catch-up since their previous A320 cabins are extremely outdated

Wouldn't say the 320 cabins are outdated compared to most airlines, but a refresh is needed. As far as playing catch up, this update will put them miles ahead of most other airlines with Delta Studio being the most competitive product, minus the gogo wifi.
Time to spare? Go by air!

Blerg

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 am

Has legroom remained unchanged on these newly refurbished A320s?

trueblew

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 am

Those overhead bins look like the same, small, outdated bins that existed before the cabin refurb. What a drop of the ball to not update the bins to the larger style that also provide more headroom. I suppose they are content to keep taking delays to allow all the excessive carryons to be gate checked at departure time.

tphuang

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm

trueblew wrote:
Those overhead bins look like the same, small, outdated bins that existed before the cabin refurb. What a drop of the ball to not update the bins to the larger style that also provide more headroom. I suppose they are content to keep taking delays to allow all the excessive carryons to be gate checked at departure time.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-u ... 0-restyle/
"Inside the refurbished A320s, you’ll find a new in-flight entertainment system, featuring a high-definition seatback screen, in-seat power outlets with USB ports and gate-to-gate Fly-Fi — free, as it is on other JetBlue Wi-Fi-equipped aircraft — mood lighting, updated seats, larger overhead bins and more."

Blerg wrote:
Has legroom remained unchanged on these newly refurbished A320s?

The pitch is reduced, but apparently the leg space will be the same and the seats are a little wider. Not sure how the wider seats are achieved.

trueblew

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:40 pm

tphuang wrote:
trueblew wrote:

"Inside the refurbished A320s, you’ll find a new in-flight entertainment system, featuring a high-definition seatback screen, in-seat power outlets with USB ports and gate-to-gate Fly-Fi — free, as it is on other JetBlue Wi-Fi-equipped aircraft — mood lighting, updated seats, larger overhead bins and more.".

They may be marginally larger, but in the photos they appear to be the same outdated style as in older aircraft. I was contrasting them with Delta's new A320-series bins:

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/delta- ... head-bins/
Last edited by trueblew on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twicearound

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Abeam79 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

How do you figure? DL retrofitted their 319/320 fleet a few years ago. what's "remarkable" about jetblue's new cabin?

tphuang

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:54 pm

twicearound wrote:
Abeam79 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

How do you figure? DL retrofitted their 319/320 fleet a few years ago. what's "remarkable" about jetblue's new cabin?

Let's see more legroom, wider seat, fully adjustable headrests, memory foam padding, decent size bathroom, still free high speed wifi that now covers basically everywhere they fly to. Still 100+ channels on directTV and now the rest of IFE is getting the needed upgrade.
http://blueir.investproductions.com/inv ... -165930919
10.1 inch, 1080P high definition screen at every seat.
More than 100 channels of live television.
Expanded collection of on demand movies, TV shows and video content, plus new gaming features.
Destination-specific content allowing customers to enhance their travel experience.
Picture-in-picture function.
Enhanced, 3D flight map offering multiple ways to track time to destination.
NFC paining turning personal handheld devices into remotes or gaming controllers.
Expanded Fly-Fi connectivity, providing coverage to nearly the entire JetBlue network.

as for cabins sizes, the have adopted the new airbus airspace cabin
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ca-452220/
Just looking at the A320 photo in there, it doesn't seem that much different from what this refurbished phase 2 A320 look. But we will see once it gets into service.

Dieuwer

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:40 pm

The only way to reduce seat pitch and keep legroom the same is to shrink the padding on the seats.
I wonder who many more people will start reporting back pains when sitting in "slimline" seats for several hours...

tphuang

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Going through the latest schedule extension.

Big news is that they seemed to have lost 2 slots at LGA (presumingly to WN as part of the VX/AS lease to WN). They really need to find a way to get more slots at LGA.

JFK added a FLL flight to replace the one fewer flight on LGA. Now the first flight leaves at 5 am instead of 6 am, yikes. Nothing for MCO. This winter season sees 7 flights a day on EWR-MCO after being running 6 a day for most of the year. Maybe one of the flight got "moved to EWR". Either way, no addition on JFK-MCO even after AA dropped out. Seems like this is one of the many flights out of JFK that should get additional frequencies if the slot constraints go away.

EWR with the 2 additional flights to BOS is up to 31 daily flights in November on peak days and 30 in December. That's up from last year I think.

Out of BOS, most of the adds are still in place. I see RDU back down to 6 a day and CLT back up to 3 a day. ORD remains at 6 a day, EWR at 7 a day, PHL at 8 a day and DCA at 14 a day. Interestingly enough, OAG thread is showing 13 a day even in December on average, which would indicate they are not doing much reduction for BOS-DCA/EWR/PHL even in holiday season.

BOS-JAX dropped from 3x daily on E90 to 2x daily on A320 (few flights, but same or higher capacity). I'm seeing A321s on BOS-PBI/RSW, which I don't think have had A321s in the past.

BOS-BUF down to 4x daily. Maybe that's due to ROC flight.

Other than that,
JFK-ANU is 5x weekly now. Looks like they might be able to push AA out here. JFK-AUS is down to 11x weekly, not great. JFK-ATL is 2x year round even holiday season. The cuts to BGI extends until end of year. JFK-CTG is seeing a little boost in capacity, possibly due to AV cutting the route. FLL-SDQ/SJU seeing more capacity later in the year.

Brickell305

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:04 pm

tphuang wrote:
Other than that,
JFK-ANU is 5x weekly now. Looks like they might be able to push AA out here.

Based on what? AA recently upped frequency to daily on that route even before B6 went up to 5x weekly. How is B6 pushing them out?

WeatherPilot

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:18 pm

From the schedule extension it looks like they’re dropping the seasonal SYR-FLL route. It usually went from Dec 15th thru April 1st.

tphuang

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Other than that,

Based on what? AA recently upped frequency to daily on that route even before B6 went up to 5x weekly. How is B6 pushing them out?

Take a look at Oct/Nov/first half of dec, AA is Sat Only. Given AA's efforts at JFK these days, I would be shocked if that's still around a year from now.

Brickell305

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:27 pm

tphuang wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Other than that,

Take a look at Oct/Nov/first half of dec, AA is Sat Only. Given AA's efforts at JFK these days, I would be shocked if that's still around a year from now.

AA has always been Saturday only that time of year as it is the low season. They return to daily during high season which is the increase they made before B6 chose to go 5x weekly. So again, I ask based on what? AA needs zero feed at JFK to make a route like ANU work so their cuts elsewhere only hurt from the standpoint of them losing frequent flier traffic but I suspect that as long as they're the leader to London, they'll be able to maintain a sizable pool of premium FF who would vacation in places like ANU.

avi8

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:36 pm

I wonder what the big announcement in April is for. I was hearing rumors that a new Latin American destination will be announced this year. But like I said, it is just a rumor. A lot of people are already condemning B6 to bankruptcy, but I think they have identified their weaknesses and are addressing the problems while still making profits, albeit small. That's good company insight and proactiveness. Thank you all for providing valuable information regarding the B6 network. I enjoy reading this thread quite a bit.
avi8

Medschool student

varsity

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:36 pm

jetbluefan1 wrote:
My mind might be fooling me but they may have even tried LAS/SAN at some point (don't quote me on that though).

Yes, they definitely did operate IAD-LAS at least, because I flew JFK-IAD-LAS and back. Can't tell you when but it was definitely before EWR-BOS started.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

wnflyguy

Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:15 pm

JetBlue Schedule Extension has LGB at 21.2
LGB-LAS 3
LGB-SLC 3
LGB-JFK 2
LGB-SEA 2
LGB-SFO 2
LGB-SJC 2
LGB-OAK 2
LGB-SMF 2
LGB-RNO 1
LGB-PDX 1
LGB-BOS 1
LGB-BZN .2

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

tphuang

Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

AA has always been Saturday only that time of year as it is the low season. They return to daily during high season which is the increase they made before B6 chose to go 5x weekly. So again, I ask based on what? AA needs zero feed at JFK to make a route like ANU work so their cuts elsewhere only hurt from the standpoint of them losing frequent flier traffic but I suspect that as long as they're the leader to London, they'll be able to maintain a sizable pool of premium FF who would vacation in places like ANU.

If you think AA will stick around, that's great. I'm telling you that with AA has been cutting a lot of stuff in JFK, I don't see how they can overcome B6 putting more pressure on this market. BDA/ANU is all that's left. I can't see how they stick around for much longer, since AA doesn't care about leisure market out of JFK at all.

avi8 wrote:
I wonder what the big announcement in April is for. I was hearing rumors that a new Latin American destination will be announced this year. But like I said, it is just a rumor. A lot of people are already condemning B6 to bankruptcy, but I think they have identified their weaknesses and are addressing the problems while still making profits, albeit small. That's good company insight and proactiveness. Thank you all for providing valuable information regarding the B6 network. I enjoy reading this thread quite a bit.

Speculation is London, but maybe the announcement will be even more than that. We will have to see. They typically don't reserve big announcement for one new Latin American destination.

FlyinRabbit88

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:29 pm

Ok the latest from the rumor front:
(Gotta love some of these)
Jetblue buying Thomas Cook UK
Jetblue will announce Europe (London, etc)
Plus HNL...
Jetblue will fly to LGW initially from JFK/BOS

Of course there is always the United rumor out there.
Again these are all the rumors floating around the pilots and such. So who knows what will happen at the party on April 10.

nine4nine

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:50 pm

FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
Ok the latest from the rumor front:
(Gotta love some of these)
Jetblue buying Thomas Cook UK
Jetblue will announce Europe (London, etc)
Plus HNL...
Jetblue will fly to LGW initially from JFK/BOS

Of course there is always the United rumor out there.
Again these are all the rumors floating around the pilots and such. So who knows what will happen at the party on April 10.

London is coming. But you nailed all the rest.

But you forgot:

the “jetHawaiian” guy who constantly posts an HA/B6 merger.

B6/AS/HA merger

WN/B6 merger

Hostile takeover of B6 by CapeAir

B6 trading the fleet of E190’s to Cessna for a fleet of 152’s.

B6/NASA merger offering one stop flights to Mars via the moon.

Might as well just make up some of these absurdities to go with some of the ones that always pop up.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

Dieuwer

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:12 pm

Thomas Cook signed a deal with Globus, Russia. No nothing B6.

https://www.thomascookgroup.com/pressre ... /102/10869

FlyinRabbit88

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:20 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Thomas Cook signed a deal with Globus, Russia. No nothing B6.

https://www.thomascookgroup.com/pressre ... /102/10869

This is the Thomas Cook Group, the group wants to sell the “airline” and focus more on the travel group/hotels/vacations part. So really this JV has nothing to do with Thomas Cook UK being up for sale.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... ll-carrier

Fankhauser declined to give further details, saying: “The review is at an early stage.” But it is likely a joint venture will be among the options examined.

He said: “This is a logical step. We always said we don’t need to own an airline. We have a great business, but as a holiday company we don’t need to own an airline as long as we have a strong commercial relationship with the airline.”

The carrier’s airport slots will be among its most-valuable assets. It has 400 slots at Frankfurt, more than 230 at Dusseldorf and 160 at Munich, as more than 350 at Manchester and 200-plus at Gatwick.

Fankhauser said: “They are all great airports. That makes our airline proposition extremely valuable.”

So think how much Jetblue would be willing to buy slots from Thomas Cook UK into FRA,LGW,MAN,MUC and others. I’m sure a few aircraft could be bought too. Of course it’s all speculation until the press release.

arfbool

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:42 pm

trueblew wrote:
tphuang wrote:
trueblew wrote:

"Inside the refurbished A320s, you’ll find a new in-flight entertainment system, featuring a high-definition seatback screen, in-seat power outlets with USB ports and gate-to-gate Fly-Fi — free, as it is on other JetBlue Wi-Fi-equipped aircraft — mood lighting, updated seats, larger overhead bins and more.".

They may be marginally larger, but in the photos they appear to be the same outdated style as in older aircraft. I was contrasting them with Delta's new A320-series bins:

Do those bins accomplish anything? I was on a Delta 737-900ER in 2016 with the new bin type and found them more difficult to open and close. Plus, people put their bag in however they please, ie, not vertically like the signs tell you to.

VS4ever

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:35 pm

arfbool wrote:
trueblew wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Do those bins accomplish anything? I was on a Delta 737-900ER in 2016 with the new bin type and found them more difficult to open and close. Plus, people put their bag in however they please, ie, not vertically like the signs tell you to.

Given I just flew on one of these today down to SJU, I will give you my thoughts.
1. Seats are nice but suck for more than 4 hours, need more padding :)
2. Interior looks like new and the crew we had were very excited to be on it
3. Don’t use the power points before you take off. Big brother is watching you use them and will tell you to stop
4. The bins do not appear to be any bigger, but maybe that’s just me.
5. The toilets are definitely on the small side for sure.
Reference aircraft: N529JB Ole Blue Eyes from row 22.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Dieuwer

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:50 am

FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
Of course it’s all speculation until the press release.

So why is nobody leaking the news?

FlyinRabbit88

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:14 am

Dieuwer wrote:
FlyinRabbit88 wrote:
Of course it’s all speculation until the press release.

So why is nobody leaking the news?

Because it’s all the usual rumors with a sliver of truth. Who knows if anything happens with Jetblue and Thomas Cook uk or United or whoever. It’s waaaaaay above our pay grade and those that do know if something is going down have serious NDAs.

Oh the fun of airline rumors.

tphuang

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Saw something interesting from Alaska Airlines investor update.
http://investor.alaskaair.com/static-fi ... bb7a47f6df

For the good news, B6 has very good balance sheet with very little debt.

B6 is also spending a lot more on CAPEX and growing a lot more than AS. Lower projected CASM growth than AS.

Bad news, they have one of the worst mainline fule efficiency (ASM per gallon). I'm sure a lot of that is due to E90s and having 150 seats on A320.

The presentation also lists the stage adjusted CASM-ex for the major airlines
AA 11.32
DL 11.19
UA 10.86
B6 9.25
AS 8.93
WN 8.12

While on surface, this is not too bad for B6, since they are closer to WN than UA. I think this shows quite a bit of cost control issue especially compared to AS and WN, especially the 10+% higher than WN.

Let's consider the following when it comes to cost:
B6 advantages
- a lot of red-eye flying
- high utilization rate of A320 series
- lower pilot and probably FA pay scales than WN and Big 3.
- has yet to be hit by the pension obligations that Big 3 (and maybe WN?) have to deal with
disadvantages
- the existence of E90 in the fleet, huge cost hog
- 2 aircraft series, will get even worse for a few years when A220 comes into play
- most flights are out of airports with high fees
- high costs of office in NYC

AS advantages
- lower pilot pay scale than WN and Big 3
- no scope clause that allows unlimited farming out flying of 76 seaters to regionals
- red-eye flying
disadvantages
- a lot of RJ flying that will always have higher cost than mainline
- multiple aircraft series even in mainline fleet with both 737 and A320
- separate ETOPS fleet for HI

WN advantages
- high utilization rate of aircraft and gate resource
- operate more out of low cost airport where they dominate
- single fleet type
disadvantages
- high pay scale across all the unions

Just looking at this, it seems like B6 will face more cost pressure in the coming years since the pilots/FA pay scales will go up and the cost of operating to high cost European airports like LHR with ETOPS subfleet will also add cost. Not sure about pension obligations.

A couple of things should help keep cost down.
- Getting rid of E90s eventually and replacing with much lower cost A220. But having 3 fleet types for a few years can't be good for cost control. Adding 8% more seats on A320s (they seemed to be lagging their previously announced schedule again) and a lot more A321NEOs. More of the corporate stuff move to OSC.

Imo for the long term, they would probably need to get their cost to be about 20 to 25% lower than AA/DL to really overcome the network disadvantages they face.

jetbluefan1

Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:21 pm

tphuang wrote:
Saw something interesting from Alaska Airlines investor update.
http://investor.alaskaair.com/static-fi ... bb7a47f6df

For the good news, B6 has very good balance sheet with very little debt.

B6 is also spending a lot more on CAPEX and growing a lot more than AS. Lower projected CASM growth than AS.

Bad news, they have one of the worst mainline fule efficiency (ASM per gallon). I'm sure a lot of that is due to E90s and having 150 seats on A320.

The presentation also lists the stage adjusted CASM-ex for the major airlines
AA 11.32
DL 11.19
UA 10.86
B6 9.25
AS 8.93
WN 8.12

While on surface, this is not too bad for B6, since they are closer to WN than UA. I think this shows quite a bit of cost control issue especially compared to AS and WN, especially the 10+% higher than WN.

Let's consider the following when it comes to cost:
B6 advantages
- a lot of red-eye flying
- high utilization rate of A320 series
- lower pilot and probably FA pay scales than WN and Big 3.
- has yet to be hit by the pension obligations that Big 3 (and maybe WN?) have to deal with
disadvantages
- the existence of E90 in the fleet, huge cost hog
- 2 aircraft series, will get even worse for a few years when A220 comes into play
- most flights are out of airports with high fees
- high costs of office in NYC

AS advantages
- lower pilot pay scale than WN and Big 3
- no scope clause that allows unlimited farming out flying of 76 seaters to regionals
- red-eye flying
disadvantages
- a lot of RJ flying that will always have higher cost than mainline
- multiple aircraft series even in mainline fleet with both 737 and A320
- separate ETOPS fleet for HI

WN advantages
- high utilization rate of aircraft and gate resource
- operate more out of low cost airport where they dominate
- single fleet type
disadvantages
- high pay scale across all the unions

Just looking at this, it seems like B6 will face more cost pressure in the coming years since the pilots/FA pay scales will go up and the cost of operating to high cost European airports like LHR with ETOPS subfleet will also add cost. Not sure about pension obligations.

A couple of things should help keep cost down.
- Getting rid of E90s eventually and replacing with much lower cost A220. But having 3 fleet types for a few years can't be good for cost control. Adding 8% more seats on A320s (they seemed to be lagging their previously announced schedule again) and a lot more A321NEOs. More of the corporate stuff move to OSC.

Imo for the long term, they would probably need to get their cost to be about 20 to 25% lower than AA/DL to really overcome the network disadvantages they face.

This is great stuff, thanks for sharing. A few thoughts:

1 - As you pointed out, B6's higher stage-adjusted CASM than WN/AS also needs to be seen in conjunction with the high cost of operating out of JFK (and NYC in general). I don't think WN or AS have anywhere near the same concentration of flights/seats at high-cost airports, or airports that are as prone to ATC delays and weather (which obviously add significant cost). So in a way, it's pretty impressive that B6 has only slightly higher stage-adjusted costs while dealing with near-daily ATC issues in NYC, and presumably higher pay required to retain employees in higher cost-of-living locations.
2 - One thing that I think is overlooked is that the A220's will likely have higher utilization than the E190's - if not due to higher dispatch reliability, then likely due to their utility for red-eye flying. Currently the E190's don't have any overnight flying, which is a drag on CASM. But those A220's will sure look attractive for some existing A320 flying (i.e. JFK-ABQ), and of course to introduce new routes or make seasonal routes year-round (i.e. BOS-PDX, JFK-EGE). This is very good for spreading out the fixed costs of those beauties.
3 - I also think if B6 can continue to keep its debt load low, the savings on interest could be material.

I also wonder if the WN figures include the cost of the new TA with the mechanics - from, which I understand, are a large step up the salary scale from the existing contract.

tphuang

Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:19 pm

Interesting bit from the latest OAG thread.

they are moving one mint flight over from JFK-LAX to FLL-LAX. It seems to start from middle of June until summer season is over. Now, the last flight out of JFK is a more reasonable time compared to AA/DL. FLL gets a late flight. We will see how that does. After summer, FLL gets back to 3 daily and JFK gets back that awful 2 am arrival at LAX. Given the schedule B6 runs on JFK-LAX with 5:40 am as first departure and a 2 am as last arrival into LAX, they are getting pretty yield in general. I don't know if it's due to lack of well timed slots or just the need to maximize fleet utilization.

I think the late FLL-LAX is an experiment by B6 into how well the can price late flight on their second highest yielding mint route. If they do well on it, I would not be surprised to see this extend to the fall season. Obviously, a lot of this is dependent on how many mint aircraft they are going to take this year. Maybe we will get more light on that on April 10th or Q1 earnings call. FLL-LAX looks like a market that can support even more than 4 daily flights and FLL-SFO could use more flight too.

Planeboy17

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:11 pm

It should be a very interesting summer coming up. After all of the hoopla is finished with whatever announcement is made on April 10th, then the real operations will be in full focus.
Today is the day that JFK loses 13L/31R until November 22. No, it’s not an April Fools Joke.
EWR has closed 11/29 until November. It’s not one of the major parallels but anything done at EWR can always cause some pain.
MCO has 17L/35R closed until August 7
FLL will close 10L June to October.
B6 better be praying for clear skies everyday this summer.
Oh and they’re expecting only 6 of the 13 321s to be delivered this year.

tphuang

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:57 pm

Alright Q4 fare report is out. So I will be posting the numbers for Q4 starting with mint. Fyi, just as a general look through some of the data I've looked at, I think B6 did better in Q3 than Q4 in the markets they are in.

First of all NYC-LAX market
CityPair Dist Carrier Board AvgFare NSFare ConnFare % NSPerFlight # Flights LF Yield PRASM Vs B6
JFKLAX 2475 AA 187158 657.03 666.23 404.14 96.49% 102.0 2087 87.90% 585.59 0.2366 184.33%
JFKLAX 2475 AS 113617 251.36 250.87 324.40 99.33% 154.6 0879 83.63% 209.80 0.0848 66.04%
JFKLAX 2475 B6 246182 352.28 352.50 309.20 99.50% 159.0 1718 90.13% 317.69 0.1284 100.00%
JFKLAX 2475 DL 312118 425.32 423.46 543.38 98.45% 221.3 1601 88.11% 373.12 0.1508 117.45%
EWRLAX 2454 AS 91554 263.44 263.05 314.48 99.24% 153.3 0690 86.57% 227.71 0.0928 N/A
EWRLAX 2454 UA 350264 361.84 358.78 540.03 98.31% 190.8 1980 92.71% 332.64 0.1355 N/A
AA definitely rebounded a little here this quarter. AS continued to slide even further down in yield. That's the largest gap between AS and other carriers since I've started tracking this. B6/DL gap has been pretty constant in the recent quarters. It would be good if B6 can have some more premium heavy option for this market, since both AA/DL have much higher % of seat as J/F. I did a recent look on JFK-LAX, 7 out of 10 DL flights are on WB aircraft now.

JFKSFO 2586 AA 71141 614.56 621.66 456.88 95.69% 102.0 0810 86.11% 535.29 0.2070 177.89%
JFKSFO 2586 AS 94500 259.65 258.78 293.74 97.51% 157.1 0711 84.63% 218.99 0.0847 72.78%
JFKSFO 2586 B6 144938 339.18 339.02 372.23 99.54% 159.0 1027 88.76% 300.92 0.1164 100.00%
JFKSFO 2586 DL 185989 404.08 401.41 537.73 98.04% 178.6 1217 85.58% 343.53 0.1328 114.16%
EWRSFO 2565 AS 88610 258.64 257.87 307.24 98.44% 154.1 0682 84.33% 217.45 0.0848 N/A
EWRSFO 2565 UA 397748 445.80 437.69 655.79 96.28% 193.0 2291 89.94% 393.68 0.1535 N/A
Again, AA rebounded a litte bit here also. AS is about the same position as last quarter. B6/DL gap is back to Q1/Q2 level after Q3 had shrunken that gap. Not sure if it's because DL had lower capacity this quarter.

BOSSFO 2704 AS 43938 262.98 260.09 344.32 96.57% 160.5 0352 77.76% 202.24 0.0748 71.96%
BOSSFO 2704 B6 108723 334.36 333.72 406.41 99.12% 159.0 0812 84.21% 281.03 0.1039 100.00%
BOSSFO 2704 DL 34226 298.67 293.70 399.96 95.33% 184.5 0236 78.60% 230.85 0.0854 82.14%
BOSSFO 2704 UA 163213 379.35 376.67 476.81 97.32% 176.7 1067 86.58% 326.10 0.1206 116.04%
Pretty comfortable position here for B6. They have really closed that gap with UA in recent quarters. This is one of their better performing mint routes again. DL only had about 1/2 of its capacity with D1, which explains their weak yield. AS dropped a lot this quarter. It seems like they switched to the less premium heavy 737 fleet. Not great for yield.

BOSLAX 2611 AA 129808 274.76 271.05 355.18 95.59% 176.5 0912 80.64% 218.58 0.0837 83.97%
BOSLAX 2611 AS 29124 221.70 219.75 323.34 98.12% 161.5 0232 77.74% 170.83 0.0654 65.63%
BOSLAX 2611 B6 98143 301.88 301.43 376.07 99.39% 158.9 0715 86.36% 260.30 0.0997 100.00%
BOSLAX 2611 DL 59850 305.44 301.15 360.36 92.76% 169.2 0415 85.25% 256.73 0.0983 98.63%
BOSLAX 2611 UA 65602 288.73 284.12 377.97 95.10% 171.7 0465 82.16% 233.43 0.0894 89.68%
Again, B6 dominates this market. DL is close to them after switching fully to D1. AA continues to be stuck low. AS moved to a less premium heavy 737 aircraft here and their yield plummeted even further. I'm surprised they are still on this route. UA switched to all lie flat this quarter, but B6 continues to have very healthy lead over them.

FLLLAX 2343 AS 41576 290.23 289.25 460.77 99.43% 136.1 0343 89.06% 257.61 0.1100 75.98%
FLLLAX 2343 B6 52988 373.77 373.40 462.59 99.58% 159.0 0367 90.81% 339.07 0.1447 100.00%
FLLLAX 2343 NK 26752 121.94 120.82 156.32 96.85% 160.4 0182 91.66% 110.75 0.0473 32.66%
MIALAX 2342 AA 234253 351.85 350.52 370.03 93.17% 191.1 1323 92.64% 324.73 0.1387 N/A
FLL-LAX recovers the title of the highest yielding mint route after the typically slow 3rd quarter. They continue to maintain lead over AA here. Would be interesting to see how the data look after they add the 3rd/4th flight. Clearly, the market supports it.

FLLSFO 2584 B6 51491 328.37 327.35 478.47 99.32% 159.0 0364 88.97% 291.23 0.1127 100.00%
FLLSFO 2584 UA 29057 316.48 311.92 361.17 90.74% 166.2 0207 84.47% 263.46 0.1020 90.46%
MIASFO 2585 AA 114595 300.67 296.63 396.16 95.94% 185.3 0691 89.49% 265.44 0.1027 N/A
MIASFO 2585 UA 24252 340.16 336.40 405.95 94.60% 159.6 0181 83.97% 282.47 0.1093 N/A
This to me is a weird one. UA consistently does worse on FLL-SFO, yet they canned MIA-SFO. Either way, B6 has pretty healthy lead here. This route does pretty well outside of Q3.

JFKSAN 2446 AA 39232 279.24 275.01 366.77 95.38% 160.7 0294 83.05% 228.40 0.0934 76.98%
JFKSAN 2446 B6 49604 332.79 332.84 311.63 99.75% 159.0 0350 89.14% 296.68 0.1213 100.00%
JFKSAN 2446 DL 71737 331.05 328.93 377.06 95.59% 164.7 0492 88.51% 291.13 0.1190 98.13%
EWRSAN 2425 AS 25425 243.09 241.96 314.21 98.43% 171.9 0175 84.51% 204.47 0.0843 N/A
EWRSAN 2425 UA 79209 368.76 363.39 451.12 93.88% 168.9 0522 89.82% 326.39 0.1346 N/A
EWRSAN 2425 WN 20115 223.00 218.92 269.57 91.95% 167.3 0142 84.65% 185.32 0.0764 N/A
Another very healthy mint market. They maintain a slight lead in yield over DL and a huge gap over AA. If they had more slot/mint aircraft, this should be a prime candidate for more frequency. Both AS/WN are pretty weak on EWR-SAN.

BOSSAN 2588 AS 25803 300.47 300.32 306.37 97.62% 175.5 0176 83.53% 250.86 0.0969 80.84%
BOSSAN 2588 B6 48399 353.18 353.76 321.01 98.25% 159.0 0347 87.72% 310.32 0.1199 100.00%
Definitely the highest performing mint market out of BOS. Totally warrants the 3rd flight.

JFKSEA 2422 AA 20964 257.70 248.77 414.94 94.63% 160.4 0179 73.01% 181.64 0.0750 82.34%
JFKSEA 2422 AS 69589 241.25 239.98 316.58 98.34% 176.5 0435 90.65% 217.54 0.0898 98.61%
JFKSEA 2422 B6 42315 261.09 261.07 273.32 99.77% 159.0 0315 84.50% 220.60 0.0911 100.00%
JFKSEA 2422 DL 113223 301.40 298.09 442.93 97.71% 178.2 0711 89.37% 266.39 0.1100 120.76%
EWRSEA 2402 AS 67189 294.96 293.04 460.36 98.85% 174.2 0466 82.78% 242.59 0.1010 N/A
EWRSEA 2402 UA 77811 298.97 294.33 393.42 95.32% 166.0 0568 82.52% 242.87 0.1011 N/A
Huge bloodbath here. I can't see AA lasting much longer with that kind of number. Mint allows B6 to be competitive here, but DL definitely dominates the action and widened the gap with competition this quarter.

BOSSEA 2496 AS 67426 262.94 262.09 310.34 98.23% 177.1 0433 87.94% 230.47 0.0923 108.37%
BOSSEA 2496 B6 44461 257.42 256.97 305.09 99.08% 158.9 0338 82.76% 212.67 0.0852 100.00%
BOSSEA 2496 DL 37110 271.56 264.46 321.40 87.53% 164.9 0260 86.53% 228.85 0.0917 107.61%
Another tough market here. I think they still have some work to do here in capturing the larger corporate contracts.

JFKLAS 2248 AA 44352 245.50 239.56 295.42 89.37% 161.0 0314 87.74% 210.18 0.0935 95.32%
JFKLAS 2248 AS 21318 190.22 189.39 220.53 97.33% 147.2 0161 89.97% 170.39 0.0758 77.27%
JFKLAS 2248 B6 92235 247.15 246.74 346.85 99.59% 170.6 0605 89.36% 220.50 0.0981 100.00%
JFKLAS 2248 DL 126935 292.12 290.12 450.59 98.76% 177.3 0788 90.87% 263.63 0.1173 119.56%
They finally passed AA this quarter in yield and AS should be gone after this quarter. After shrinking the gap with DL in Q3, this went back to about a 20% gap.

BOSLAS 2381 B6 76834 271.02 270.94 293.51 99.63% 156.2 0606 81.16% 219.88 0.0923 100.00%
BOSLAS 2381 DL 21702 286.76 286.35 289.65 87.32% 160.0 0166 81.70% 233.94 0.0983 106.39%
BOSLAS 2381 NK 23956 95.88 95.64 111.59 98.45% 159.7 0183 81.98% 78.40 0.0329 35.66%
Pretty surprising performance by DL in an initial entrance. My guess is that they probably did not have service on some of the trough days in October and November. We will find out in Q1 how a fully quarter looks. Not a great quarter for mint here.

tphuang

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm

Next, I'm going to post some non-premium transcon market here. There was a lot of interesting stuff going on here in Q4 and I'd like to illustrate a little bit. First, see the impact of the additional capacity to LA basin and second see the impact of utilizing A321s + reducing off-peak flying.

Note, given that there are around 90 days, there should be about 180 flights if a route is flown daily R/T. So anything below 180 like 120 or 110 or 130 is sub daily with most likely Tue/Wed/Sat cut at some point. In some cases just October and first half of November. In other cases, seems like the routes are running 4x weekly the entire quarter.

CityPair Dist Carrier Board AvgFare NSFare ConnFare% NS PerFlight # Flights LF Yield PRASM Vs B6
JFKBUR 2465 B6 39085 246.31 246.16 341.73 99.84% 150.0 290 89.85% 221.17 0.0897 100.00%
JFKONT 2429 B6 24361 211.00 211.00 0.00 100.00% 150.0 184 88.26% 186.24 0.0767 100.00%
JFKLGB 2465 B6 46586 241.26 239.65 344.86 98.47% 153.6 338 89.76% 215.11 0.0873 100.00%
Definitely good numbers out of BUR for that 2nd flight. In fact, it's better than some of their mint routes. ONT is more mediocre, but not that bad given the odd flight times. And I think it will continue to improve over time. LGB looks okay and it seems like they are putting some A321s here given that per flight is above 150 for Q4. LFs solid all around.

BOSBUR 2601 B6 17660 211.64 211.56 216.90 98.43% 156.0 163 69.43% 146.89 0.0565 100.00%
BOSLGB 2602 B6 38035 234.89 233.78 283.84 97.77% 150.0 302 83.96% 196.28 0.0754 100.00%
BOS to LA Basin don't look as good. That second LGB flight is hurting the yield. Not surprising that they moved it to LAS. BUR is really weak. Again, the retiming works better. Not great LF.

JFKPHX 2153 AA 113123 299.36 297.73 342.00 96.32% 160.8 765 91.99% 273.87 0.1272 127.36%
JFKPHX 2153 B6 25592 241.11 240.74 368.69 99.71% 150.0 191 89.33% 215.04 0.0999 100.00%
JFKPHX 2153 DL 58429 317.20 312.68 434.82 96.30% 181.8 366 87.82% 274.59 0.1275 127.69%
BOSPHX 2300 AA 103460 293.76 292.42 314.64 93.98% 160.9 704 91.36% 267.16 0.1162 132.34%
BOSPHX 2300 B6 24359 232.59 232.47 262.58 99.59% 150.0 187 86.84% 201.88 0.0878 100.00%
Pretty average quarter here. Based on the fares that AA/DL get on jFK-PHX, this is really a route that can support mint. At the very least, there seems to me enough demand and yield compared to SEA.

JFKSJC 2569 AS 22410 240.33 239.94 258.01 97.82% 146.9 183 83.39% 200.08 0.0779 99.43%
JFKSJC 2569 B6 21901 234.20 233.38 287.49 98.47% 200.0 127 86.22% 201.23 0.0783 100.00%
JFKSJC 2569 DL 26311 250.24 243.66 385.07 95.35% 168.0 181 86.54% 210.87 0.0821 104.79%
BOSSJC 2689 B6 13932 297.13 297.15 296.88 92.50% 150.0 108 86.00% 255.55 0.0950 100.00%
Quite interesting here. BOS-SJC yield look great when they are running it 4 days a week. JFK-SJC looks great when they are running it 4 to 5 days a week and using 200 seat A321. Both these routes are profitable considering they are red eye flights and JFK using 200 seaters. Those are really not good numbers for AS given that they are flying daytime east bound and also using what appears to be 737-700 given the seat count. DL's yield on JFK-SJC is pretty terrible too when you compare it to their other transcon. I wouldn't be surprised if one of DL/AS drop out in the next 2 years.

JFKSMF 2521 B6 28863 234.61 233.42 292.32 97.98% 200.0 180 80.17% 187.14 0.0742 100.00%
JFKOAK 2576 B6 16906 242.65 242.68 239.11 99.03% 150.0 131 86.04% 208.79 0.0811 100.00%
JFKRNO 2411 B6 15011 227.95 227.99 225.76 97.96% 150.8 118 84.33% 192.27 0.0797 100.00%
JFKPDX 2454 AS 28219 236.21 235.52 252.86 96.03% 173.2 182 89.52% 210.85 0.0859 104.03%
JFKPDX 2454 B6 17296 230.10 230.26 169.86 99.73% 150.0 131 88.02% 202.68 0.0826 100.00%
JFKPDX 2454 DL 41127 307.61 304.56 337.20 90.64% 179.2 250 91.78% 279.53 0.1139 137.91%
A few more here. SMF looks okay given that they are flying 200 seater here with daily flight year round. They are probably breaking even to slightly profitable at this fare level. They reduced off peak flying to OAK/RNO/PDX. The numbers are a lot better. They really should cut RNO. OAK/PDX are probably not hemorraging money at this yield level and considering they use very low demand slot times. not sure how this will be going forward, but I think this will allow them to keep JFK-PDX going without hurting the bottom line too much. It wouldn't surprise me if the entire OAK station gets cut down the road.

FLLLAS 2173 B6 24432 225.28 225.22 246.04 99.68% 152.4 183 87.60% 197.29 0.0908 100.00%
FLLLAS 2173 NK 37755 98.85 97.76 130.59 96.70% 172.8 236 92.58% 90.51 0.0417 45.88%
FLLLAS 2173 WN 21189 247.26 249.56 239.05 78.10% 169.0 134 93.55% 233.46 0.1074 118.33%
FLLLGB 2327 B6 23989 209.81 208.81 280.76 98.61% 150.3 182 87.71% 183.15 0.0787 100.00%
FLLSAN 2269 B6 17357 236.70 234.97 355.86 98.57% 155.5 126 88.59% 208.17 0.0917 100.00%
MCOLAX 2218 AA 82653 241.06 237.94 317.33 96.07% 167.7 551 89.44% 212.81 0.0959 117.57%
MCOLAX 2218 B6 19405 201.37 201.49 195.04 98.21% 150.0 144 89.84% 181.01 0.0816 100.00%
MCOLAX 2218 DL 89213 252.82 250.12 289.05 93.06% 207.8 455 94.38% 236.05 0.1064 130.40%
MCOLAX 2218 UA 53864 227.59 228.20 220.73 91.79% 177.7 338 89.66% 204.61 0.0922 113.04%
BUFLAX 2218 B6 17509 226.45 221.36 362.19 96.39% 150.0 135 86.46% 191.40 0.0863 100.00%
JFKPSP 2378 B6 14104 230.66 230.66 0.00 100.00% 151.9 116 80.06% 184.67 0.0777 100.00%
A few more here. FLL-LAS is getting decent yield. WN looks to have cut off peak flying to boost their yield. NK is surprisingly the market leader here. LGB is mercifully cut. FLL-SAN looks pretty good with the cut to off peak flying. That's the best yield I have seen on that route ever. MCO-LAX is still a huge bloodbath even after cutting off peak flying. We will see if taking away the red-eye will improve the numbers. At least their yields are more comparable to AA/UA now. JFK-PSP is just getting started with Q4. Not good numbers considering they had mint here for almost 2 weeks. BUF-LAX looks okay.

JFKSLC 1990 B6 25708 219.26 219.06 255.93 99.45% 150.7 217 78.62% 172.22 0.0865 100.00%
JFKSLC 1990 DL 120114 326.35 322.68 468.12 97.47% 182.6 740 88.89% 286.82 0.1441 166.55%
BOSSLC 2105 B6 17081 205.20 202.72 271.80 96.41% 151.3 145 77.85% 157.81 0.0750 100.00%
BOSSLC 2105 DL 50185 313.80 309.74 361.18 92.10% 171.6 334 87.55% 271.18 0.1288 171.84%
MCOSLC 1931 B6 23319 170.55 170.50 261.00 99.94% 150.0 184 84.49% 144.05 0.0746 100.00%
MCOSLC 1931 DL 83221 267.72 265.53 296.12 92.83% 198.4 457 91.81% 243.77 0.1262 169.22%
FLLSLC 2084 B6 22369 197.97 197.44 237.84 98.70% 150.0 182 81.94% 161.78 0.0776 100.00%
FLLSLC 2084 DL 29658 316.56 302.55 367.78 78.52% 162.1 196 93.36% 282.45 0.1355 174.59%
As always, there are struggles at SLC. Those yield out of JFK/BOS are not good given that they are running 5x weekly out of BOS for some month. The second flight at JFK-SLC doesn't seem to be doing great out of the gate. Looks like they are deploying some of the reconfigured A320s out of SLC given the per flight number > 150. the yields out of MCO/FLL are definitely better than Q3, but still not very healthy.

jetbluefan1

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:41 pm

Thanks tphuang! Honestly I'm surprised the data is out already (given the delay from the gov't shutdown). Pleasantly surprised here. For my own sanity I listed the Mint markets in PRASM order (highest to lowest) to make it a bit easier to look at, although there are 3 caveats:

1 - Since the BOS markets are longest and FLL the shortest, then BOS performance is slightly understated and FLL performance slightly overstated.
2 - I would also think the BOS flights are filled with a higher proportion of O&D traffic than JFK/FLL, so if anything I think BOS performance can be slightly understated here. (Just a guess.)
3 - MINT is only on 50% of the JFKLAS flights and 66% of the BOSLAS flights, so it makes this data somewhat harder to compare.

FLLLAX 2343 B6 52988 373.77 373.40 462.59 99.58% 159.0 0367 90.81% 339.07 0.1447 100.00%
JFKLAX 2475 B6 246182 352.28 352.50 309.20 99.50% 159.0 1718 90.13% 317.69 0.1284 100.00%
JFKSAN 2446 B6 49604 332.79 332.84 311.63 99.75% 159.0 0350 89.14% 296.68 0.1213 100.00%
BOSSAN 2588 B6 48399 353.18 353.76 321.01 98.25% 159.0 0347 87.72% 310.32 0.1199 100.00%
JFKSFO 2586 B6 144938 339.18 339.02 372.23 99.54% 159.0 1027 88.76% 300.92 0.1164 100.00%
FLLSFO 2584 B6 51491 328.37 327.35 478.47 99.32% 159.0 0364 88.97% 291.23 0.1127 100.00%
BOSSFO 2704 B6 108723 334.36 333.72 406.41 99.12% 159.0 0812 84.21% 281.03 0.1039 100.00%
BOSLAX 2611 B6 98143 301.88 301.43 376.07 99.39% 158.9 0715 86.36% 260.30 0.0997 100.00%
JFKLAS 2248 B6 92235 247.15 246.74 346.85 99.59% 170.6 0605 89.36% 220.50 0.0981 100.00%
BOSLAS 2381 B6 76834 271.02 270.94 293.51 99.63% 156.2 0606 81.16% 219.88 0.0923 100.00%
JFKSEA 2422 B6 42315 261.09 261.07 273.32 99.77% 159.0 0315 84.50% 220.60 0.0911 100.00%
BOSSEA 2496 B6 44461 257.42 256.97 305.09 99.08% 158.9 0338 82.76% 212.67 0.0852 100.00%

Even with the caveats, FLLLAX is likely the most profitable Mint market. That's just really impressive. Somehow I think RASM won't take much of a hit with the third flight, and frankly I wouldn't be surprised to actually see it go up - which a phenomenon they witnessed on JFK-LAX/SFO as they built up frequency and thus were able to attract a larger share of less price-conscious corporate travelers.

SAN continues to be very impressive. I would like to see a third JFKSAN flight return, as they ran many years ago. I can see DL looking at the BOSLAX numbers and looking to spoil the party though...

The bloodbath at BOSSFO appears to be over, and BOSLAX doesn't look too bad either.

As noted LAS figures are skewed, and I think one of the JFKLAS non-Mint frequencies is operated by the 200-seat 321, so that looks like a healthy market to me. BOSLAS is not as good, but keeping in mind that Q4 is probably the slowest quarter, these are not bad numbers.

JFKSEA is pretty weak, but again this is Q4 - when no one wants to go to Seattle.

BOSSEA continues to be a blood bath. It's surprising that B6 lags AS/DL in this market, whereas in all other BOS TCON markets they outperform. I would guess that most traffic in this market originates in Seattle, not Boston.

tphuang wrote:
Next, I'm going to post some non-premium transcon market here. There was a lot of interesting stuff going on here in Q4 and I'd like to illustrate a little bit. First, see the impact of the additional capacity to LA basin and second see the impact of utilizing A321s + reducing off-peak flying.

I am glad the second JFKBUR flight is being well received, although BOSBUR is - uh - ugly. Hopefully the retimed flights which begin in a few weeks will help this out, along with the reduction on BOSLGB.

I think SJC could be a candidate for Mint, although it's hard to see it working sub-daily.

JFKPSP looks a little weak, although they were running the 200-seat 321 on many days, so this obviously helps from the CASM perspective. From my understanding, BOSPSP was not that well received - I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't return next season.

SLC is quite the struggle. DL isn't giving them any breathing room (not that I blame them!).

tphuang

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks a lot
jetbluefan1 wrote:
Thanks tphuang! Honestly I'm surprised the data is out already (given the delay from the gov't shutdown). Pleasantly surprised here. For my own sanity I listed the Mint markets in PRASM order (highest to lowest) to make it a bit easier to look at, although there are 3 caveats:

1 - Since the BOS markets are longest and FLL the shortest, then BOS performance is slightly understated and FLL performance slightly overstated.
2 - I would also think the BOS flights are filled with a higher proportion of O&D traffic than JFK/FLL, so if anything I think BOS performance can be slightly understated here. (Just a guess.)
3 - MINT is only on 50% of the JFKLAS flights and 66% of the BOSLAS flights, so it makes this data somewhat harder to compare.

I have a little excel tracking overall performance of every domestic routes for 2018 thus far. After I tabulate Q4 performance, will share what I think is the highest/lower performing routes.

I'm going to post BOS later, but first a little bit out of LGB. This is the first quarter since their reductions. I have to say the results are kind of surprising.

I've stripped out the WN numbers
CityPair Dist CarrierBoard AvgFare NSFare ConnFare % NS PerFlight # Flights LF Yield PRASM
LGBSFO 354 B6 49030 107.87 107.87 000.00 100.00% 150.1 367 88.98% 095.99 0.2712
LGBOAK 353 B6 47324 116.23 116.23 000.00 100.00% 150.0 369 85.50% 099.37 0.2815
LGBSJC 324 B6 37203 116.30 116.30 000.00 100.00% 150.0 368 67.40% 078.38 0.2419
LGBSMF 387 B6 40923 107.42 107.42 000.00 100.00% 150.0 368 74.14% 079.63 0.2058
LGBLAS 231 B6 75672 093.86 093.86 000.00 100.00% 150.0 553 91.23% 085.63 0.3707
LGBSEA 965 B6 22847 169.82 169.82 000.00 100.00% 150.0 184 82.78% 140.57 0.1457
LGBPDX 846 B6 23363 149.33 149.33 000.00 100.00% 150.0 184 84.65% 126.41 0.1494

just as a comparison to Q3 on SFO/OAK/SJC/LAS (those saw the big cuts). SFO rose from $73 to $96, OAK rose from $74 to $99, SJC rose from $59 to $78 and LAS rose from $81 to $85. SEA/PDX both lost a flight but didn't see much change. I think it was good that they added back that second SEA flight, since it was doing pretty well originally. These are still not great yields, but considering they are all on 150 seat A320s out of a low cost airport, it's not crazy to think that they are at least breaking even now if not making money on the short haul stuff. Will have to see what happens when WN adds more flight.

and just as a comparison to some other mainline service out of LAX. Keep in mind, everyone looses money on west coast stuff. It's way lower yielding than east coast. So even if they can match legacy mainline in yield, that does not mean they are actually profitable.

LAXSFO 337 DL 158455 109.43 109.43 096.14 99.99% 143.3 1357 81.46% 089.14 0.2645
LAXSFO 337 UA 254990 130.59 129.53 318.23 99.44% 165.4 1868 82.53% 106.91 0.3172
LAXSFO 337 WN 153340 111.51 111.31 211.68 99.80% 143.1 1453 73.74% 082.08 0.2436
so with reduced service, they are generating higher yield than DL mainline on LAX-SFO and higher than WN and about 10% less than UA mainline.
LAXOAK 337 WN 233941 125.81 125.63 242.21 99.84% 146.0 2082 76.95% 096.67 0.2868
LAXSJC 308 WN 181856 114.61 114.47 202.98 99.85% 144.7 1706 73.66% 084.33 0.2738
Getting slightly less yield as WN on LAX-OAK/SJC. Keep in mind, that WN looses a lot of money on LAX-SJC at that fare and probably a little money on LAX-OAK. But given WN yields need to be higher to account for lack of ancillary revenue and are running on 737-700, it seems like LGB-OAK could be making money now.
LAXLAS 236 AA 201279 106.95 106.95 000.00 100.00% 178.4 1307 86.34% 092.35 0.3913
LAXLAS 236 DL 54728 102.00 101.96 192.84 99.96% 127.7 524 81.76% 083.36 0.3532
LAXLAS 236 UA 95761 100.46 100.46 000.00 100.00% 171.3 681 82.08% 082.46 0.3494
LAXLAS 236 WN 198889 099.37 099.37 000.00 100.00% 145.5 1696 80.58% 080.07 0.3393
So they are getting higher yield now on LGB-LAS than DL/UA/WN mainline. Keep in mind that DL is flying lower capacity/higher cost planes on LAX-LAS, LGB-LAS is probably breaking even or close to that.
LAXSMF 373 WN 151716 118.31 118.17 198.42 99.83% 145.0 1410 74.21% 087.69 0.2351
WN is the only one consistently running mainline here. LGB-SMF is probably still loosing some money.

LAXSEA 954 DL 179024 183.72 182.43 297.22 98.88% 158.2 1446 78.28% 142.81 0.1497
LAXSEA 954 AS 331991 168.36 167.15 226.47 97.97% 161.2 2465 83.55% 139.65 0.1464
Again, they are getting about the same yield as DL/AS mainline. One of the few routes I think they are definitely making money on out of LGB.

trueblew

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:42 pm

tphuang, thanks for regularly sharing your great analysis. B6 is a mess operationally and has, IMO, poor leadership, but these numbers show that St. George and the other network/revenue management staff actually know what they're doing. They are single-handedly keeping B6 viable, and it gives me a bit of hope.

tphuang

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Thanks Trueblew!

Alright, some data out of BOS. I've tried to assign the RJ flying to AA/DL in all places where possible. You can check under per flight to get a sense of what they are flying on each route.

CityPair Dist Carrier Board AvgFare NSFare ConnFare% NS PerFlight Departures LF Yield PRASM Vs B6
BOSATL 0946 B6 79268 119.15 119.00 227.37 99.86% 149.7 0712 74.35% 088.47 0.0935 100.00%
BOSATL 0946 DL 352243 168.49 166.36 310.80 98.52% 188.6 2079 89.82% 149.42 0.1580 168.89%
BOSATL 0946 NK 10049 068.21 067.93 075.58 96.38% 166.5 0075 80.46% 054.66 0.0578 61.78%
BOSATL 0946 WN 54195 123.73 122.08 159.29 95.57% 156.6 0434 79.72% 097.32 0.1029 110.00%
BOSMSP 1124 B6 51879 129.84 129.84 000.00 100.00% 149.6 0497 69.77% 090.59 0.0806 100.00%
BOSMSP 1124 DL 147205 193.26 189.25 379.92 97.90% 173.4 0990 85.76% 162.31 0.1444 179.16%
BOSMSP 1124 SY 25636 105.78 105.78 000.00 100.00% 160.5 0204 78.30% 082.82 0.0737 91.42%
Starting with the 2 ugliest ones. Thee actually got worse from Q3. From recent scheduling, looks like they are moving to some E90s on BOS-ATL. Not sure if that will help. They certainly had trouble filling these flights. WN going down to 1/day on ATL might help a little bit and same with SY making MSP seasonal.

BOSAUS 1698 B6 23438 259.56 258.46 328.70 98.42% 146.9 0184 86.69% 224.06 0.1320 100.00%
BOSAUS 1698 DL 19384 239.54 229.25 279.59 79.57% 157.1 0148 83.35% 191.07 0.1125 85.28%
BOSAUS 1698 WN 23889 223.59 219.19 244.28 82.46% 151.7 0176 89.46% 196.09 0.1155 87.51%
This one is doing really well. They increased their yield advantage over DL/WN this quarter. Really explains why they are going 2x daily here. Would be a good route for E220.

BOSBWI 0369 B6 67894 140.52 140.51 158.45 99.98% 100.8 0924 72.87% 102.39 0.2775 100.00%
BOSBWI 0369 NK 43751 038.72 038.72 000.00 100.00% 158.6 0342 80.64% 031.22 0.0846 30.49%
BOSBWI 0369 WN 191191 138.11 138.08 451.00 99.99% 149.6 1565 81.66% 112.76 0.3056 110.13%
Yield is down from Q3. Not a great quarter here. Looks like they had trouble filling seats. Maybe because they stuck with 6xdaily in Q4 vs 5x daily in Q3.

BOSCHS 0818 B6 31247 191.02 190.12 212.92 96.02% 138.0 0278 81.47% 154.88 0.1893 100.00%
BOSCHS 0818 DL 10389 189.86 179.72 257.11 86.89% 72.70 0180 79.34% 142.59 0.1743 92.07%
This one looks okay. They upgauged to mostly A320s and cut back on frequency slightly and maintained the same yield gap vs DL while getting higher yield over. Very profitable market. Their move to add frequency here made sense.

BOSCLT 0728 AA 225079 200.35 199.27 256.27 98.12% 171.8 1572 83.32% 166.04 0.2281 117.73%
BOSCLT 0728 B6 35839 178.38 178.27 489.00 99.97% 100.4 0451 79.11% 141.04 0.1937 100.00%
so they had a 3rd flight here for good part of the quarter and saw their performance weakened a little bit vs Q3. It's not bad yield. I think they should make the 3rd flight permanent.

BOSORD 0867 AA 202664 178.34 175.79 327.53 98.32% 163.0 1481 83.95% 147.57 0.1702 113.82%
BOSORD 0867 B6 60811 157.94 157.88 178.21 99.68% 107.6 0688 82.12% 129.65 0.1495 100.00%
BOSORD 0867 NK 11488 044.74 044.26 085.81 98.84% 180.4 0075 84.92% 037.58 0.0433 28.99%
BOSORD 0867 UA 206980 192.51 190.38 316.12 98.31% 171.6 1375 87.73% 167.02 0.1926 128.82%
This I think is the second quarter they went to 5x on BOS-ORD. Not terrible numbers. Their yield went up a little bit, but they also used fewer A320s compared to Q3.

BOSCLE 0563 B6 43408 165.92 165.81 544.00 99.97% 100.9 0519 82.92% 137.49 0.2442 100.00%
BOSCLE 0563 EV 21367 201.71 200.66 247.46 97.74% 050.0 0492 86.86% 174.29 0.3096 126.76%
BOSCLE 0563 NK 6341 035.74 035.74 000.00 100.00% 180.4 0042 83.70% 029.92 0.0531 21.76%
Another market they do pretty well. Again, not sure why UA gave up on this route even with the high cost of 50 seaters. B6 is going to 4x daily on some days to defend this route against DL. It's hard for me to imagine DL getting better yield than what UA got here. So I think B6 numbers should be the fare leader here once that happens.

BOSDEN 1754 B6 40813 214.88 214.57 257.61 99.30% 150.9 0336 80.51% 172.75 0.0985 100.00%
BOSDEN 1754 UA 135037 261.52 260.41 297.83 97.04% 175.1 0864 89.26% 232.43 0.1325 134.55%
BOSDEN 1754 WN 58829 227.76 227.82 227.01 91.74% 170.4 0387 89.23% 203.28 0.1159 117.67%
This was not a great quarter. Especially since in the last one, they caught up to WN in yield here. Those A321s should help.

BOSDFW 1562 AA 169363 275.15 271.90 317.09 92.80% 169.9 1143 87.19% 237.06 0.1518 141.74%
BOSDFW 1562 B6 37758 192.64 192.64 000.00 100.00% 145.0 0300 86.82% 167.25 0.1071 100.00%
This was slight better than Q3. The yield went up and yield gap with AA shrunk. I will keep crying wolf about JFK-DFW.

BOSDTW 0632 B6 45045 169.59 169.59 000.00 100.00% 106.9 0525 80.23% 136.07 0.2153 100.00%
BOSDTW 0632 DL 158929 191.41 190.13 341.74 99.16% 154.7 1196 85.88% 163.29 0.2584 120.01%
BOSDTW 0632 NK 6476 038.37 037.71 057.89 96.73% 180.4 0042 85.48% 032.23 0.0510 23.69%
Easily the best route to a DL fortress hub. Maybe MSP/ATL will eventually become like this. They are probably making money here and the 4th flight will improve their schedule.

BOSRSW 1249 B6 106656 235.06 235.16 209.04 99.62% 145.6 0933 78.53% 184.67 0.1479 100.00%
BOSRSW 1249 NK 30884 092.00 092.04 078.76 99.72% 181.1 0214 79.70% 073.35 0.0587 39.72%
One of B6's most profitable routes continue to do well.

BOSHOU 1609 B6 22130 174.57 174.57 000.00 100.00% 141.8 0184 84.79% 148.02 0.0920 100.00%
BOSHOU 1609 WN 24993 200.80 201.01 199.91 80.19% 156.8 0176 90.55% 182.03 0.1131 122.98%
Another bloodbath to WN fortress hub. This one runs as bad of a margin as ATL.

tphuang

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:40 pm

a few more

CityPair Dist Carrier Board AvgFare NSFare ConnFare% NS PerFlight Departures LF Yield PRASM Vs B6
BOSJAX 1010 B6 41067 167.92 166.99 268.60 99.08% 100.7 0509 80.13% 133.81 0.1325 100.00%
BOSJAX 1010 DL 16556 175.16 168.07 231.71 88.87% 73.3 0297 76.07% 127.85 0.1266 95.55%
BOSMCO 1121 B6 178045 198.93 198.68 221.74 98.94% 181.0 1235 79.63% 158.21 0.1411 100.00%
BOSMCO 1121 DL 59978 195.15 193.12 222.15 93.01% 158.4 0468 80.90% 156.24 0.1394 98.75%
BOSFLL 1237 B6 125036 218.00 217.20 252.15 97.70% 149.8 0966 86.38% 187.62 0.1517 100.00%
BOSFLL 1237 DL 27546 188.76 185.44 210.06 86.53% 158.1 0204 85.41% 158.39 0.1280 84.42%
3 more Florida ones, generally similar results to Q3. DL did a little better on FLL this time around. Other than that, FLL yields are up in Q4 and MCO yields are also up a little bit. There is too much capacity on JAX. They are moving to all A320 in Q4 for JAX, should reduce the cost a little bit.

BOSBNA 0942 B6 41644 171.97 171.84 265.80 99.85% 147.8 0344 81.92% 140.78 0.1494 100.00%
BOSBNA 0942 DL 27048 197.41 192.62 218.58 81.56% 77.6 0424 82.25% 158.42 0.1682 112.54%
BOSBNA 0942 WN 62901 164.62 159.95 195.37 86.81% 149.0 0491 85.98% 137.53 0.1460 97.69%
Again, similar results to Q3. DL does well here and have a yield lead over B6/WN, but B6/WN are running mostly A320/B737 vs DL RJ.

BOSMSY 1368 B6 40384 215.22 215.05 288.98 99.77% 139.4 0327 88.57% 190.47 0.1392 100.00%
BOSMSY 1368 NK 15414 088.09 088.39 079.00 96.83% 145.0 0143 74.34% 065.71 0.0480 34.50%
Another high yielding leisure market for B6

BOSEWR 0200 B6 53982 156.76 156.76 000.00 100.00% 100.3 0903 59.58% 093.40 0.4670 100.00%
BOSEWR 0200 UA 220535 194.91 194.91 000.00 100.00% 162.3 1783 76.19% 148.50 0.7425 159.00%
Not great quarter here. Similar yields to LGA.

BOSPHL 0280 AA 228119 168.02 167.50 377.26 99.75% 157.4 1973 73.47% 123.06 0.4395 111.12%
BOSPHL 0280 B6 75157 149.27 149.27 000.00 100.00% 101.2 1001 74.19% 110.75 0.3955 100.00%
BOSPHL 0280 DL 30882 126.22 126.12 383.63 99.96% 73.6 0591 70.95% 089.48 0.3196 80.80%
Kind of what I expected for DL starting off at PHL. This will be a huge struggle for them. Yield for both AA/B6 fell vs Q3 as a result of the new capacity.

BOSPIT 0496 AA 13135 165.42 157.51 198.64 80.76% 44.1 0400 74.40% 117.19 0.2363 96.93%
BOSPIT 0496 B6 73341 165.67 165.67 000.00 100.00% 100.5 1000 72.98% 120.90 0.2437 100.00%
BOSPIT 0496 DL 24803 142.05 138.44 170.07 88.60% 75.6 0462 70.99% 098.28 0.1981 81.29%
This is just the one route where DL's number look continuously terrible even after serving it for many quarters. DL added more flights here in 2019. Let's see how that will go with now even more seat to fill.

BOSBUF 0395 B6 56043 129.15 129.10 148.52 99.74% 100.5 0812 68.68% 088.67 0.2245 100.00%
BOSBUF 0395 DL 17635 112.46 110.24 179.86 96.81% 70.3 0419 59.89% 066.02 0.1672 74.46%
I would be surprised if this is not the worst performing multi-daily route in the entire DL network. And the gap between B6/DL increased vs Q3.

BOSRDU 0612 B6 75231 197.53 197.53 000.00 100.00% 100.5 0949 78.86% 155.77 0.2545 100.00%
BOSRDU 0612 DL 61712 213.52 212.29 331.07 98.96% 82.1 0929 80.87% 171.67 0.2805 110.21%
Looks like fewer mainline here for DL compared to Q3. Their gap over B6 increased a little bit vs Q3.

BOSRIC 0474 B6 51218 155.01 155.01 000.00 100.00% 101.1 0635 79.81% 123.72 0.2610 100.00%
BOSRIC 0474 DL 22218 157.55 157.25 224.48 99.56% 70.7 0438 71.74% 112.81 0.2380 91.19%
Almost no change from Q3. Pretty stable market.

BOSTPA 1185 B6 92396 180.83 180.78 202.24 99.77% 147.3 0755 83.06% 150.17 0.1267 100.00%
BOSTPA 1185 DL 50083 164.70 161.76 222.18 95.13% 157.8 0415 76.46% 123.69 0.1044 82.37%
Really good numbers here for B6. Yield went up vs Q3 and slightly larger gap against DL too.

tphuang

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:10 pm

Also, some numbers out of HDN/BZN. Not the # of flights. Very SSS, but here you go
CityPair Dist Carrier Board AvgFare NSFare % NS PerFlight # Flights LF Yield PRASM
LGBHDN 758 B6 728 153.66 153.66 100.00% 150 10 48.53% 74.58 0.0984
LGBBZN 904 B6 1022 152.37 152.37 100.00% 150 12 56.78% 86.51 0.0957
BOSHDN 1871 B6 980 260.8 260.8 100.00% 150 10 65.33% 170.39 0.0911
FLLHDN 1843 B6 589 296.92 296.92 100.00% 150 6 65.44% 194.32 0.1054

Anyways, the LF is not good as someone discovered late last year, but the fares are not bad actually. For basically a Sat-only service out of BOS/FLL that increases fleet utilization, I think B6 will be happy with the initial numbers.

jplatts

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:28 pm

tphuang wrote:
JFKOAK 2576 B6 16906 242.65 242.68 239.11 99.03% 150.0 131 86.04% 208.79 0.0811 100.00%
A few more here. SMF looks okay given that they are flying 200 seater here with daily flight year round. They are probably breaking even to slightly profitable at this fare level. They reduced off peak flying to OAK/RNO/PDX. The numbers are a lot better. They really should cut RNO. OAK/PDX are probably not hemorraging money at this yield level and considering they use very low demand slot times. not sure how this will be going forward, but I think this will allow them to keep JFK-PDX going without hurting the bottom line too much. It wouldn't surprise me if the entire OAK station gets cut down the road.

Could you please post the data for EWR-OAK? WN operates EWR-OAK nonstop service that is in competition with B6 JFK-OAK nonstop service and other nonstop routes between NYC and the San Francisco Bay Area on AA, DL, UA, and AS.

tphuang wrote:
BOSDFW 1562 AA 169363 275.15 271.90 317.09 92.80% 169.9 1143 87.19% 237.06 0.1518 141.74%
BOSDFW 1562 B6 37758 192.64 192.64 000.00 100.00% 145.0 0300 86.82% 167.25 0.1071 100.00%
This was slight better than Q3. The yield went up and yield gap with AA shrunk. I will keep crying wolf about JFK-DFW.

BOSORD 0867 AA 202664 178.34 175.79 327.53 98.32% 163.0 1481 83.95% 147.57 0.1702 113.82%
BOSORD 0867 B6 60811 157.94 157.88 178.21 99.68% 107.6 0688 82.12% 129.65 0.1495 100.00%
BOSORD 0867 NK 11488 044.74 044.26 085.81 98.84% 180.4 0075 84.92% 037.58 0.0433 28.99%
BOSORD 0867 UA 206980 192.51 190.38 316.12 98.31% 171.6 1375 87.73% 167.02 0.1926 128.82%
This I think is the second quarter they went to 5x on BOS-ORD. Not terrible numbers. Their yield went up a little bit, but they also used fewer A320s compared to Q3.

BOSHOU 1609 B6 22130 174.57 174.57 000.00 100.00% 141.8 0184 84.79% 148.02 0.0920 100.00%
BOSHOU 1609 WN 24993 200.80 201.01 199.91 80.19% 156.8 0176 90.55% 182.03 0.1131 122.98%

Could you please post the data for BOS-DAL, BOS-MDW, and BOS-IAH? WN operates BOS-DAL and BOS-MDW nonstop service that is in competition with B6 BOS-DFW and BOS-ORD nonstop service, and UA operates BOS-IAH nonstop service that is in competition with B6 and WN BOS-HOU nonstop service.

tphuang

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:49 pm

jplatts wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Could you please post the data for EWR-OAK? WN operates EWR-OAK nonstop service that is in competition with B6 JFK-OAK nonstop service and other nonstop routes between NYC and the San Francisco Bay Area on AA, DL, UA, and AS.

tphuang wrote:

Could you please post the data for BOS-DAL, BOS-MDW, and BOS-IAH? WN operates BOS-DAL and BOS-MDW nonstop service that is in competition with B6 BOS-DFW and BOS-ORD nonstop service, and UA operates BOS-IAH nonstop service that is in competition with B6 and WN BOS-HOU nonstop service.

you can try to decipher this. I didn't bother to align them.
CityPair Dist Carrier Board AvgFare NSFare ConnFare % NS PerFlight # Flights LF Yield PRASM
EWRSJC 2548 AS 18259 264.55 263.65 291.19 96.74% 168 154 70.57% 186.07 0.073
EWROAK 2555 WN 14436 207.96 205.39 239.48 92.45% 157.3 103 89.11% 183.01 0.0716
BOSDAL 1554 WN 25337 186.04 181.25 202.05 77.00% 160.9 182 86.50% 156.79 0.1009
BOSIAH 1597 UA 105554 274.87 274.29 300.92 97.81% 171.6 701 87.74% 240.66 0.1507
BOSMDW 861 WN 110467 146.96 146.55 158.06 96.36% 154.4 809 88.46% 129.64 0.1506

As you can see, their BOS-MDW yield is about the same as B6's on BOS-ORD with similar frequencies. BOS-DAL for WN is even slightly worse than B6 at BOS-DFW, probably due to their weakness at BOS. UA at BOS-IAH is still making good money. I personally think B6 moving from HOU to IAH will be good for everyone. Sticking at HOU just hurts both B6 and WN.

EWR-OAK numbers are better than Q3, but still pretty low considering that WN doesn't do red-eye and doesn't have baggage fees. For a lot of these transcon flights, airlines really depend on the red-eye to lower cost and baggage fees to add up revenue. In large part EWR-OAK was added to combat AS on EWR-SJC. And looks like they have partly done that, cause those are bad numbers for AS.

jplatts

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:22 pm

tphuang wrote:
BOS-DAL for WN is even slightly worse than B6 at BOS-DFW, probably due to their weakness at BOS. UA at BOS-IAH is still making good money. I personally think B6 moving from HOU to IAH will be good for everyone. Sticking at HOU just hurts both B6 and WN.

One big difference between B6 and WN in the DAL/DFW and HOU/IAH markets is that there are some passengers connecting to WN destinations in Texas that aren't not served by B6 through DAL or HOU on WN whereas B6 is not connecting any passengers through DFW or HOU on its BOS-DFW and BOS-HOU nonstops. In addition, DAL and HOU are both focus cities for WN, and both DAL and HOU are two of the original destinations served by WN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos