bpat777

Re: JetBlue Network Thread - 2019

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:54 am

Iggy500 wrote:
So B6's LGA-MCO/FLL routes will only be on A321s starting October 27th, considering they dropped a flight for both (5->4 for FLL and 4->3 for MCO). LGA-PBI and LGA-BOS stay the same. Also, I don't think B6 can fit its A321s into LGA's terminal A, since the whole terminal is basically one whole gate for LGA's new concourse B. So, either B6 is moving to B from A in October, or Terminal A will become a complete nightmare for JetBlue flyers.

Eastern used A300s to BOS for many years from terminal A at LGA. The holdroooms might be very crowded but A321s should fit into many of the A gates without any issues.

jfklganyc

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:53 am

B6 has 6 gates for approx 15 flights a day.

321 will have no problem. Just encroach on another gate that is rarely used anyway.

Iggy500

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
Iggy500 wrote:
So B6's LGA-MCO/FLL routes will only be on A321s starting October 27th, considering they dropped a flight for both (5->4 for FLL and 4->3 for MCO). LGA-PBI and LGA-BOS stay the same. Also, I don't think B6 can fit its A321s into LGA's terminal A, since the whole terminal is basically one whole gate for LGA's new concourse B. So, either B6 is moving to B from A in October, or Terminal A will become a complete nightmare for JetBlue flyers.

I don’t quite understand what your quote about Terminal A being one whole gate of Terminal B.
I can tell you that B6 can park 321s at gates 3,4 and 6 if necessary.

What I'm saying is that IMO, Terminal A's hold rooms will not be enough to fit passengers on these flights, depending on the load factors. Jetblue's A321s can fit up to 200 passengers, so if flights are full, then it will become a major problem for B6 if they stay in Terminal A at the time. The problem with Terminal A is that it is insanely small, probably fitting smaller aircraft.

nine4nine

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Blueknows wrote:
Lgb pocket session July 17th. This should
Be good.

Anything come out of this?
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

brutuspup

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:39 pm

jsteeves3 wrote:
Ok so I will post this on the New England thread too but as you all know JetBlue opened their reservations today and I opted to book a PVD-MCO and back on April 18th-April 25th... THE FLIGHT IS ALMOST SOLD OUT ALREADY! This is crazy!!!! Thoughts?!!!? This is the 6am flight and 2pm flight...

School vacation week in MA and RI :)

Bluewho

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:22 pm

nine4nine wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
Be good.

Nope, I’m shocked oh wait I’m not.
Unless we are talking about vacuuming on request vs always being as it always has been. You know we need to cut cut cut to make that earnings per share in 2020.

TheLunchbox

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 pm

What do you do for the airline? Pilot?

Bluewho

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:04 pm

TheLunchbox wrote:
What do you do for the airline? Pilot?

Just an employee under poor leadership waiting for Jetblue to get a direction and see its employees valued again. So I’m definitely not in the ELT :)

tphuang

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:20 pm

From OAG this week
B6 BOS-FLL DEC 7>8[6]
*B6 BUF-MCO NOV 2>1.0[1.0] DEC 2>1.0[1.0] JAN 1.3>1.0[1.0]
B6 FLL-LAS NOV 1.0>1.7[1.0]
B6 FLL-MBJ NOV 1.0>1.9[1.0] DEC 1.0>1.6[1.0]
B6 JFK-SAN DEC 1.9>2[1.8]
B6 JFK-TPA NOV 3>4[3] DEC 4>5[4]

For BOS-FLL/JFK-TPA, March/April reduction from recent schedule extension made very little sense to me last week. They make even less sense given they are adding a lot of capacity to both routes for Nov/Dec. It's almost like they don't know how many aircraft they will have and still allocating those flights.

I'm waiting to hear what they have to say in earning call this week. I hope we are not seeing any aircraft delivery deferment. If we are not, then there is quite a few A321NEO that should be delivered early next year. I hope they have something good planned for March/April.

tphuang

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:16 pm

today is their Q2 earning
http://blueir.investproductions.com/inv ... -120049024
RASM up 3.1%
CASM-EX up 1.8%
pretax margin at 11.2% (11.3% excluding special items)
For Q3, antiticipating 0.5-3.5% RASM growth and casm-ex up 0.5 to 2.5%

Not great numbers imo. I thought CASM-ex would come down even more given the high completion %, longer stage length and shifting of expensese to Q3.

Interesting thing is that they expect capacity to increase 5.5 to 6.5% full year, which is still quite good given the lack of A321NEO deliveries this year. They are delaying some 320 reconfiguration to 2020 in order to have enough aircraft for these flights. They now expect 50 to be reconfigured by the end of the year (so 22 more to go).

https://paxex.aero/2019/07/jetblue-take ... retrofits/

Given that they are expected to receive at most 6 aircraft this year and 14 next year (down from 13 and 15 scheduled), I think they are quite lucky the MAX shutdown coincided all the NEO delays. At this point, I think it's certainly possible the A321NEO delays will cause the TATL service to be pushed to later in 2021.

More things of note, they said JFK-CLT was not loss making, but was cut due to limited CLT gate access and below system average in margin. I think the first point is bs. The second point and lack of aircraft are the most likely reasons.

They also made a comment regarding Boston being very profitable despite other carrirs adding service. I'm assuming this is a response to calm investor sentiment regarding DL's Boston expansion. But it's pretty clear at this point, their strategy for next few years is basically around Boston.

Dieuwer

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:37 pm

tphuang wrote:
At this point, I think it's certainly possible the A321NEO delays will cause the TATL service to be pushed to later in 2021.

I wonder if I will be alive by the time JetBlue starts TATL service... :D

tphuang

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:40 pm

also, they moved to SFO T1 today
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/H ... 115049.php
They will have exclusive usage of gates B-6, B-7 and share B-8 with WN.

They currently have 15 flights a day, so that should be enough gate access for them. If they add 4 or 5 more flights, things could get tight for them at certain points of day.

CaptCoolHand

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:56 pm

nine4nine wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
Be good.

This made me giggly.

Gigitty gigitty.... nope.

Really though nothing ever comes from the pocket session.

Dieuwer

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:50 pm

CaptCoolHand wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
Be good.

This made me giggly.

Gigitty gigitty.... nope.

Really though nothing ever comes from the pocket session.

Hot-Air(ways) ;)

tphuang

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:47 pm

A few more points that seem to be interesting from earnings call yesterday.
- ancillary revenue up 15% per customer YoY, now at $33 per customer, all time high for B6
- bag fees up 15% YoY
- change fees and EMS also grow in double digits
- 24% growth Yoy on loyalty program
that last part is probably the most significant. As legacy carriers continue to make a bundle on credit card, B6 needs to get in on that game too. That's what the Boston, TATL push are about. Need more places to gain ff and places for them to redeem credit card.
- looks like transcon is doing better in Q2/3.
- They think that even though DL is adding capacity, others like WN is reducing capacity, so overall capacity growth in Boston is not completely out of whack. Certainly in many of the market that B6 really does well in, NK probably has added even more capacity than DL and a lot of that is in high season.
- reduced growth in 2020 because the planes are not getting delivered on time in 2019.
- very ambitious CASM guide for 2020.
- expect to see most of the benefit for Fare Options 2.0 to be realized by late 2020 into 2021. They expect $125 to $175 million in RASM benefits. Given their yearly revenue is $8 billion, this could mean 2% improvement in margin if it works out. Given the pressure they face from investors, I can see why with their financial situation, this became a necessity.

Reality is when things were smooth sailing and DL had not started expanding in BOS, they didn't have to make the hard choices. Now they do have to make some tough moves. If they can get into 2021 relatively unscathed, they can have A220 and A321XLR to look forward to in addition to the benefits of fare options 2.0 and fully reconfigured A320 fleet. This next 6 quarters aren't going to be very kind with all the NEO delays and A320 restyling delays. They are lucky that MAX delays have slowed down some of their competitors.

tphuang

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:09 pm

So with WN pulling out of EWR, it's a good time for B6 to try to get at least one of their gates along with the associated time slots. Given their focus on BOS and lack of spare aircraft, I've given up on B6 being ambitious at EWR in the next year or 2. But they could at least try restoring some of the cut Florida flights along with running a shuttle type of operation to BOS. Opportunities like this don't come around everyday.

WeatherPilot

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:13 pm

tphuang wrote:
So with WN pulling out of EWR, it's a good time for B6 to try to get at least one of their gates along with the associated time slots. Given their focus on BOS and lack of spare aircraft, I've given up on B6 being ambitious at EWR in the next year or 2. But they could at least try restoring some of the cut Florida flights along with running a shuttle type of operation to BOS. Opportunities like this don't come around everyday.

I don’t see B6 snagging up any gates. If anybody does I think it’s more than likely going to be NK, F9 or G4.

jetbluefan1

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:50 pm

tphuang wrote:
A few more points that seem to be interesting from earnings call yesterday.
- ancillary revenue up 15% per customer YoY, now at $33 per customer, all time high for B6
- bag fees up 15% YoY
- change fees and EMS also grow in double digits
- 24% growth Yoy on loyalty program
that last part is probably the most significant. As legacy carriers continue to make a bundle on credit card, B6 needs to get in on that game too. That's what the Boston, TATL push are about. Need more places to gain ff and places for them to redeem credit card.
- looks like transcon is doing better in Q2/3.
- They think that even though DL is adding capacity, others like WN is reducing capacity, so overall capacity growth in Boston is not completely out of whack. Certainly in many of the market that B6 really does well in, NK probably has added even more capacity than DL and a lot of that is in high season.
- reduced growth in 2020 because the planes are not getting delivered on time in 2019.
- very ambitious CASM guide for 2020.
- expect to see most of the benefit for Fare Options 2.0 to be realized by late 2020 into 2021. They expect $125 to $175 million in RASM benefits. Given their yearly revenue is $8 billion, this could mean 2% improvement in margin if it works out. Given the pressure they face from investors, I can see why with their financial situation, this became a necessity.

Reality is when things were smooth sailing and DL had not started expanding in BOS, they didn't have to make the hard choices. Now they do have to make some tough moves. If they can get into 2021 relatively unscathed, they can have A220 and A321XLR to look forward to in addition to the benefits of fare options 2.0 and fully reconfigured A320 fleet. This next 6 quarters aren't going to be very kind with all the NEO delays and A320 restyling delays. They are lucky that MAX delays have slowed down some of their competitors.

Thanks for the summary. They also mentioned that Northeast-Florida is performing well, and that transcon not only bounced back from Q1 but was actually ahead of expectations. Mint also outperformed system RASM, which is impressive.

As much as I sometimes question B6 leadership, I have to admit that the results are pretty good especially when considering the assault they are facing from DL @ BOS and NK/WN @ FLL. As you noted, if they can keep things together until 2020/2021 once the A220's and A321LR/XLR start to get delivered, they can really start to drive down that CASM and open new markets which will boost FF loyalty (which can lead to some really big revenue opportunities).

Their excuse for cutting JFK-CLT is lame, but I think it's pretty clear what's going on here. The focus is on protecting BOS, optimizing NYC for high margin VFR/leisure markets, and towing the line at FLL. There is just not room for much else, especially when considering the 321neo delays.

tphuang wrote:

If they can pick up one of those 3 gates, I think we'll see them try to run a shuttle-type operation to BOS. They could also further double down on the Florida flying, given the strength they are seeing there.

Now, if they could get all 3 gates....I'd like to see Mint @ EWR :bouncy:

WeatherPilot wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I don’t see B6 snagging up any gates. If anybody does I think it’s more than likely going to be NK, F9 or G4.

I'm not sure NK is really in a position to take advantage of a tactical opportunity right now. Their Q2 earnings call was not good, and they are going to have to build more slack into their fleet. They are overextended. Adding flights to a congested NYC airport is only going to exacerbate the problem.

tphuang

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:46 pm

jetbluefan1 wrote:

Thanks for the summary. They also mentioned that Northeast-Florida is performing well, and that transcon not only bounced back from Q1 but was actually ahead of expectations. Mint also outperformed system RASM, which is impressive.

As much as I sometimes question B6 leadership, I have to admit that the results are pretty good especially when considering the assault they are facing from DL @ BOS and NK/WN @ FLL. As you noted, if they can keep things together until 2020/2021 once the A220's and A321LR/XLR start to get delivered, they can really start to drive down that CASM and open new markets which will boost FF loyalty (which can lead to some really big revenue opportunities).

Their excuse for cutting JFK-CLT is lame, but I think it's pretty clear what's going on here. The focus is on protecting BOS, optimizing NYC for high margin VFR/leisure markets, and towing the line at FLL. There is just not room for much else, especially when considering the 321neo delays.

It's quite easy for me to get frustrated with their slowness. I have to say even their slowness with TATL decision seems not that bad now that we have all this delays. Even if they had made the decision a year ago, they'd be unlikely to get their first LR frame before second half of 2020 given all the delays.

Seems like this 2 years from mid 2018 to late 2020 with DL BOS buildup, new pilot contract and A321NE delays are all meant to be tough quarters. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I see light at the end of the tunnel. Once they start getting A220 and A321NEO into service and a fully reconfigured A320 fleet along with benefits from fare option 2.0, the margins should buid back up again. It's interesting how even AS is turning things around a little bit with their version of BE. It's all cyclical.

Cuts like JFK-CLT hurts. It seems like with their fleet shortage issues, any growth at BOS will mean some trimming elsewhere. Given the choice between JFK/FLL/MCO/LGB, it seems obvious to me which one should be trimmed if they are really desperate for spare aircraft. If WN can cut EWR, B6 should be able to cut some under performing station in times of need.

If they can pick up one of those 3 gates, I think we'll see them try to run a shuttle-type operation to BOS. They could also further double down on the Florida flying, given the strength they are seeing there.

Now, if they could get all 3 gates....I'd like to see Mint @ EWR :bouncy:

I'm not sure NK is really in a position to take advantage of a tactical opportunity right now. Their Q2 earnings call was not good, and they are going to have to build more slack into their fleet. They are overextended. Adding flights to a congested NYC airport is only going to exacerbate the problem.

For a lot of people that work in wall street area and possibly live in Jersey/hoboken or further into Jersey, EWR is the only choice. And even if you live and work downtown, EWR is just as convenient as LGA. Their 19 daily flights across 3 airports really don't work that well. If they can get more gates at EWR, they should start a semi-shuttle operation on BOS-EWR and maybe have a combined shuttle schedule at LGA/JFK. a 10 to 15x daily schedule on BOS-EWR will allow them to really compete for business client. I would be shocked if UA is not filling out a lot of those BOS-EWR flights with regulars from wall street. And they'd make DL completely irrelevant on that route.

mint @ EWR would be so nice if they can get some A321s delivered. I wonder if leasing some A321CEOs at this point would really be that costly.

I think NK may add a couple of flights, but they are not going to need more than half a gate. I can't see F9/G4 expanding. So most of those gates/slots are either going to B6 or UA

tphuang

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:25 pm

B6 BOS-PDX NOV 0>0.5[0]
B6 BOS-SAN NOV 1.9>3[1.8]
B6 BOS-SFO NOV 4>5[5]
B6 BUR-JFK DEC 1.7>1.3[1.7]
B6 JFK-PAP DEC 2>1.5[1.7]

From updated OAG sections. Looks like they are making an effort to try to extend BOS-PDX to run longer. Eventually, this should be a year round route for them. Hard for them to be more competitive against AS if they only operate it 3 months a year. Again, BOS-SAN is getting the 3rd flight for a month longer. Should be the norm going forward.

wnflyguy

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:37 pm

Big Rumours swirling around that because of WN departure from EWR B6 will Kill low yields and capacity At LGB.
LGB-OAK,SMF,SJC,RNO,PDX will all be axed and aircraft will be used to increase EWR marketshare.

Ya I know
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

tphuang

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:10 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Big Rumours swirling around that because of WN departure from EWR B6 will Kill low yields and capacity At LGB.
LGB-OAK,SMF,SJC,RNO,PDX will all be axed and aircraft will be used to increase EWR marketshare.

Ya I know
Flyguy

i'm certainly not against that in concept, but where are you getting these rumors? if they just need aircraft, cutting some lower yielding transcon capacity would free up more aircraft.

AirFiero

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 am

tphuang wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Ya I know
Flyguy

i'm certainly not against that in concept, but where are you getting these rumors? if they just need aircraft, cutting some lower yielding transcon capacity would free up more aircraft.

Isn’t B6 using a lot of E jets on those LGB routes? Would they move them to EWR for shorter routes?

Runway28L

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:41 am

AirFiero wrote:
tphuang wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Ya I know
Flyguy

Isn’t B6 using a lot of E jets on those LGB routes? Would they move them to EWR for shorter routes?

All of the E190s operate from the East Coast and Florida. They haven't flown out of LGB in years.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

flyby519

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:03 am

tphuang wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Ya I know
Flyguy

Just like WN using the MAX as excuse for chopping EWR, B6 could use this excuse as the reason to chop LGB? I'd also argue low yield transcon routes have more importance in terms of network potential and core business model vs the short haul west coast flying. A low yield transcon today could be a profitable Mint route tomorrow.

jfklganyc

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:03 am

wnflyguy wrote:

Ya I know
Flyguy

Makes sense.

They need to do something quick if they want to maximize EWR

Quick as in December

AirFiero

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:05 am

Runway28L wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
tphuang wrote:

All of the E190s operate from the East Coast and Florida. They haven't flown out of LGB in years.

They are using all 319 and 320 on LGB to SJC, etc?

Blueknows

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:13 am

I hate to stoke the fire. But working for B6 you start to connect dots. B6 leaves HOU(wn) for IAH(ua). Wn leaves EWR(ua)...B6 increasing EWR??B6 pulls back LGB/WN moves in on gates. This all is turning into a very strategic merger potential. Of course its the old UA/B6

mjzair

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:10 pm

Blueknows wrote:
I hate to stoke the fire. But working for B6 you start to connect dots. B6 leaves HOU(wn) for IAH(ua). Wn leaves EWR(ua)...B6 increasing EWR??B6 pulls back LGB/WN moves in on gates. This all is turning into a very strategic merger potential. Of course its the old UA/B6

Ummm.. if this were pointing to the merger, why would they add service where there would be overlap. If you ask me, it is the opposite of pointing to a merger, it is pointing to direct competition. If anything, and you want to believe in conspiracy theories, this points more towards WN/B6.

Blueknows

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:54 pm

mjzair wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

Ummm.. if this were pointing to the merger, why would they add service where there would be overlap. If you ask me, it is the opposite of pointing to a merger, it is pointing to direct competition. If anything, and you want to believe in conspiracy theories, this points more towards WN/B6.

I mean Ua has made a point of saying they should have never left JFK. Overlap..its a very calculated strategy.

Planeboy17

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:59 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

B6 has no 319s. Only 320 and 321s.

StinkyPinky

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:35 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Ya I know
Flyguy

Would seem like a knee-jerk reaction since they just transferred in 35 additional FAs into the LGB for August. I think they could cut some underperforming transcons first as previously mentioned. Besides, the LGB network is finally reaching a sustainable level and is necessary to give B6 minimal relevance on the West Coast. I have a feeling LGB will look a bit different in a few years when the A220 arrives and maybe city council realizes new airlines aren't scrambling to scoop up slots nor are current airlines willing to serve new destinations. I wouldn't be surprised if the FIS gets reconsidered.

tphuang

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:14 pm

On the EWR front. They currently maximize at 31 departures per day in March/April season. They are doing 7x BOS, 5x FLL, 6x MCO, 4 x PBI, 2x SJU, 3x RSW, 2x TPA, 1x STI/SDQ.

If they want to quickly add 2 of the 3 gates WN is giving up, they could run a schedule of
12x BOS, 7x FLL, 7x MCO, 5xPBI, 2x SJU, 4x RSW, 3x TPA, 1x STI/SDQ
and in summer time, they can run flights to ACK/MVY when the Florida stuff gets reduced.

Although I doubt B6 will be this aggressive.

STT757

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:27 pm

B6 can bulk up Florida and Boston from EWR, they real move would be to add EWR-AUS, LAS, LAX, SFO, SJC, SEA, CUN etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

WeatherPilot

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:49 am

I'm gonna laugh my ass off if B6 builds up a sizable base at EWR and it has better on-time performance than their JFK ops.

Bluewho

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:59 am

wnflyguy wrote:

Ya I know
Flyguy

Oh oh so SWA can move in at LGB right?

AA94

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:01 am

mjzair wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

One day JetBlue pilots are banging on about how leadership has no strategy, no one can make decisions, and the airline is a house of cards; and then the next day suddenly they're playing 4-dimensional chess and aligning the stars for a secret merger with United. Unbelievable.

Bluewho

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:53 am

AA94 wrote:
mjzair wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

One day JetBlue pilots are banging on about how leadership has no strategy, no one can make decisions, and the airline is a house of cards; and then the next day suddenly they're playing 4-dimensional chess and aligning the stars for a secret merger with United. Unbelievable.

I don’t think blueknows is a pilot.
But actually your post could be correct. There is a big difference from the board to the ELT to middle management. You could definitely have plans being executed while everything else is a mess. If you worked here you would get that. I’m not saying that’s what will happen but there can definitely be part of the airline going in one direction while the other is going a different way. It’s actually how our airline works. Tons of middle management and very very compartmentalized.

JetBlue is Smart and Stupid at the same time as I’m sure many corporations are.

massachoicetts

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:42 am

Bluewho wrote:
AA94 wrote:
mjzair wrote:

But actually your post could be correct. There is a big difference from the board to the ELT to middle management. You could definitely have plans being executed while everything else is a mess. If you worked here you would get that. I’m not saying that’s what will happen but there can definitely be part of the airline going in one direction while the other is going a different way. It’s actually how our airline works. Tons of middle management and very very compartmentalized.

BOS-EWR loads were sagging on B6 last I checked... I dont know why they would increase the freqs to 12x, especially with DL advancing on the EWR-BOS market.
I think a smart move would be EWR-ORD or DCA.

Blueknows

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:08 am

EWR has been growing for years. The management sees dollars signs in NYC. In the next couple years will start ISP service. Marty left for a reason. He saw the direction and just couldn't be on board to what B6 is turning into. Its all about shareholders. Late planes OW e190s will be at B6 till at least 2025. To little to late for
B6

tphuang

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:08 pm

massachoicetts wrote:

BOS-EWR loads were sagging on B6 last I checked... I dont know why they would increase the freqs to 12x, especially with DL advancing on the EWR-BOS market.

no, EWR-ORD/DCA would not work. They will get killed on a hub-to-hub route for UA in the former and the latter they don't have the slots.

With EWR basically turning back into a level 3 airport, they need a place to basically squat on slots until they have the aircraft needed to launch more relevant routes. Putting a competitive schedule on EWR-BOS would allow them to compete more aggressively with UA for the high valued corporate client that they are chasing after and make DL completely irrelevant on this route.

Adding things like MSY/LAS/LAX/SFO would all be good moves, but they simply don't have the aircraft for that right now.

All of this obviously assumes that they are going to be able pick up a couple of the gates and take over the majority of time "slots" that WN had been using. We will see.

aemoreira1981

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:04 pm

I have to wonder if BUF can be used by B6 to attract sun traffic from the Golden Horseshoe for Canadians not wanting to pay heavy taxes out of YYZ, once the A220-300 planes arrive, during the winter season, as well as for Western New York to sun destinations besides FLL (from BUF, WN flies seasonally to TPA and RSW, and WG operates package tours to PUJ, MBJ (where their parent company owns a resort), and CUN. Keep in mind that more than 2 out of every 5 passengers who fly out of BUF are Canadian, owing to taxes.

Also, what about service to PBG that connects to JFK and BOS for connecting flights to sun destinations, or maybe even a nonstop to places like PTP, FDF, and UVF in the winter season? The concept would be the same as BUF---advertising in French for Francophone Canada, as most of those flying out of PBG are French-speakers, and PBG has no night restrictions.

B6 doesn't have to fly to Canada to serve Canada. This is what I can see the A220-300 opening up.

cledaybuck

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:34 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I have to wonder if BUF can be used by B6 to attract sun traffic from the Golden Horseshoe for Canadians not wanting to pay heavy taxes out of YYZ, once the A220-300 planes arrive, during the winter season, as well as for Western New York to sun destinations besides FLL (from BUF, WN flies seasonally to TPA and RSW, and WG operates package tours to PUJ, MBJ (where their parent company owns a resort), and CUN. Keep in mind that more than 2 out of every 5 passengers who fly out of BUF are Canadian, owing to taxes.

Also, what about service to PBG that connects to JFK and BOS for connecting flights to sun destinations, or maybe even a nonstop to places like PTP, FDF, and UVF in the winter season? The concept would be the same as BUF---advertising in French for Francophone Canada, as most of those flying out of PBG are French-speakers, and PBG has no night restrictions.

B6 doesn't have to fly to Canada to serve Canada. This is what I can see the A220-300 opening up.

Why the A220-300? It seems to me BUF-Florida in season are volume destinations where you want the largest (narrowbody) aircraft you have.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

jetbluefan1

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:36 pm

tphuang wrote:
On the EWR front. They currently maximize at 31 departures per day in March/April season. They are doing 7x BOS, 5x FLL, 6x MCO, 4 x PBI, 2x SJU, 3x RSW, 2x TPA, 1x STI/SDQ.

If they want to quickly add 2 of the 3 gates WN is giving up, they could run a schedule of
12x BOS, 7x FLL, 7x MCO, 5xPBI, 2x SJU, 4x RSW, 3x TPA, 1x STI/SDQ
and in summer time, they can run flights to ACK/MVY when the Florida stuff gets reduced.

Although I doubt B6 will be this aggressive.

I agree that B6 will probably not be this aggressive, but I think it's the most likely outcome if they can acquire a gate or 2. They'll just add to what already works so well for them.

STT757 wrote:
B6 can bulk up Florida and Boston from EWR, they real move would be to add EWR-AUS, LAS, LAX, SFO, SJC, SEA, CUN etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would love to see that, as it would help set them apart from DL/UA who only offer such markets from only one NYC airport.

But as noted above, I just don't see them being that aggressive (at least in the immediate term).

massachoicetts wrote:
Bluewho wrote:
AA94 wrote:

BOS-EWR loads aren't great, but yields are okay. Although it's counter-intuitive, yields can actually increase along with increased frequency, as B6 will all of a sudden have a Shuttle-like operation between NYC and BOS, which will attract higher yielding corporate flyers. What they currently offer across LGA/JFK/EWR is not exactly a shuttle and thus they have a much harder time competing against UA/AA/DL for that wallet share.

If anything, I think DL entering EWR-BOS is all the more reason B6 would look to bolster frequencies. On DCA-BOS, they jumped from 10x to 15x upon DL's announcement (and also increased frequencies to some other business markets, like PHL and ORD).

Ultimately, I think B6 will do whatever they need to do to protect BOS.

tphuang wrote:
massachoicetts wrote:

no, EWR-ORD/DCA would not work. They will get killed on a hub-to-hub route for UA in the former and the latter they don't have the slots.

With EWR basically turning back into a level 3 airport, they need a place to basically squat on slots until they have the aircraft needed to launch more relevant routes. Putting a competitive schedule on EWR-BOS would allow them to compete more aggressively with UA for the high valued corporate client that they are chasing after and make DL completely irrelevant on this route.

Adding things like MSY/LAS/LAX/SFO would all be good moves, but they simply don't have the aircraft for that right now.

All of this obviously assumes that they are going to be able pick up a couple of the gates and take over the majority of time "slots" that WN had been using. We will see.

:checkmark:

My only question is how aggressive UA would be in response, and if they would view B6 differently from WN, especially given that B6 already has such a large reservoir of frequent fliers to tap into in the NYC area.

AirFiero

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:09 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

If they can’t fill main line planes at LGB on west coast routes, why haven’t they used E jets? Other airlines are, and seem to be doing ok.

AA94

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:29 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

If they can’t fill main line planes at LGB on west coast routes, why haven’t they used E jets? Other airlines are, and seem to be doing ok.

Operational disaster. With the A320, you can route the aircraft virtually anywhere ex-LGB, and there's an A320 crew base in LGB. The 190 would have to be routed through an intermediate city (likely AUS, given JetBlue's limited presence in middle America), and all 190 crews are based on the east coast. Just too difficult to schedule for what amounts to very marginal return.

speedbird2263

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:57 pm

AA94 wrote:
mjzair wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

Indeed my friend.
Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

aemoreira1981

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:51 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Why the A220-300? It seems to me BUF-Florida in season are volume destinations where you want the largest (narrowbody) aircraft you have.

Route starter. There wouldn’t be more than a 25-seat difference between an A320 and a BCS3.

Buffalomatt1027

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:59 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:

A320 or a321s should be used by b6 during winter peak ..... thousands of canadians come over like you said. The A220 route for b6 from BUF could be SLC or somewhere on the west coast. Heck even the LOS - BUF route that could be a better fit.

tphuang

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 pm

looks like JetBlue is moving to T2 at ORD
https://www.aviationpros.com/airports/p ... al-airport
anyone knows if this will give them more a little more gate access? At least yesterday looks like all their departures are out of 1 gate.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos