B747-437B

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:02 pm

mr02 wrote:
They initially started the operating in Tanzania with A319s,later using Embraer aircraft after posting losses. As for Mozambique, their operations were profitable (I think),but after Ethiopian's entry,they saw loads drop and that's why they teamed up with LAM

I doubt FastJet has ever been profitable at anything. They have demonstrated the unenviable skill of being able to lose money faster than Zimbabwe can devalue it. Their most recent results for FY2018 show network losses of $41.2m on revenues of $38.3m (yes, they had a margin worse than negative 100%). Their forward looking statements also state that Mozambique has been the most challenging of their markets since inception, so the losses there are probably even higher than Zim or TZ ever were.

How their investors keep throwing good money after bad continues to astound me (and yes, I've asked them exactly that and received a nervous laugh in response).

Blerg

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 pm

B747-437B wrote:
mr02 wrote:
They initially started the operating in Tanzania with A319s,later using Embraer aircraft after posting losses. As for Mozambique, their operations were profitable (I think),but after Ethiopian's entry,they saw loads drop and that's why they teamed up with LAM

I doubt FastJet has ever been profitable at anything. They have demonstrated the unenviable skill of being able to lose money faster than Zimbabwe can devalue it. Their most recent results for FY2018 show network losses of $41.2m on revenues of $38.3m (yes, they had a margin worse than negative 100%). Their forward looking statements also state that Mozambique has been the most challenging of their markets since inception, so the losses there are probably even higher than Zim or TZ ever were.

How their investors keep throwing good money after bad continues to astound me (and yes, I've asked them exactly that and received a nervous laugh in response).

So what does the future hold for them? Is there a way out of this situation or...?

I just checked Wikipedia (I know, I know...) and it says that they dropped the A319. Is that true? Supposedly their fleet consists of 2 E90 and 3 E145.

B747-437B

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Blerg wrote:
So what does the future hold for them? Is there a way out of this situation or...?

I just checked Wikipedia (I know, I know...) and it says that they dropped the A319. Is that true? Supposedly their fleet consists of 2 E90 and 3 E145.

Fastjet's structure today is very different than what it was in the Tanzania days. It is now around 60% owned by Solenta Group, so the focus has shifted away from the Airbus metal that Stelios and Co. preferred, towards Embraers which is Solenta's area of expertise. The medium term strategy is going to be expansion of the Fastjet brand into the SA domestic market with the E145s via the Federal Air AOC that they also control - trying to compete as an LCC in the niche that CemAir has exploited relatively successfully. That may be the only way they can survive. Their CEO is Nico Bezuidenhout who was the driving force behind the team that built Mango from scratch into a solid and competitive domestic brand for SAA, so he knows the formula that works. The management has also been localised rather than being run by a bunch of people sitting in the UK, many of whom had never actually even visited Africa. They have a chance, but as long as their margins are as horrendous as they currently are, it is a long shot at best.

mr02

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:29 am

B747-437B wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Fastjet's structure today is very different than what it was in the Tanzania days. It is now around 60% owned by Solenta Group, so the focus has shifted away from the Airbus metal that Stelios and Co. preferred, towards Embraers which is Solenta's area of expertise. The medium term strategy is going to be expansion of the Fastjet brand into the SA domestic market with the E145s via the Federal Air AOC that they also control - trying to compete as an LCC in the niche that CemAir has exploited relatively successfully. That may be the only way they can survive. Their CEO is Nico Bezuidenhout who was the driving force behind the team that built Mango from scratch into a solid and competitive domestic brand for SAA, so he knows the formula that works. The management has also been localised rather than being run by a bunch of people sitting in the UK, many of whom had never actually even visited Africa. They have a chance, but as long as their margins are as horrendous as they currently are, it is a long shot at best.

I thought the A319 were unprofitable for them and that's why they chose the smaller E-jets.

mr02

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:38 am

B747-437B wrote:
mr02 wrote:

Why don't they just exit the Mozambican market? It's not the biggest,doesn't have O&D and doest provide a good connecting hubs. They can enter the Angolan market.

Blerg

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 am

mr02 wrote:
B747-437B wrote:
mr02 wrote:

Why don't they just exit the Mozambican market? It's not the biggest,doesn't have O&D and doest provide a good connecting hubs. They can enter the Angolan market.

I think Angola is extremely protective of TAAG and from what I heard it's next to impossible for foreign carriers to add more flights.

mr02

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:41 am

Blerg wrote:
mr02 wrote:
B747-437B wrote:

I think Angola is extremely protective of TAAG and from what I heard it's next to impossible for foreign carriers to add more flights.

I think entering the SA market is going to be tough. The saturation is too much i.e. Mango,SAA,Airlink,SA Express,Comair (kulula, British),cemair(though I don't know if they're still allowed to fly)and flysafair. Don see them competing with these airlines,unless they connect secondary cities,which is Express's job.

B747-437B

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:04 am

Blerg wrote:

Remember that Fastjet arose from the ashes of fly540, which already had its own Angolan AOC running ATR-72s. The financials made the Tanzania operation look good in comparison.

B747-437B

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:12 am

mr02 wrote:
I think entering the SA market is going to be tough. The saturation is too much i.e. Mango,SAA,Airlink,SA Express,Comair (kulula, British),cemair(though I don't know if they're still allowed to fly)and flysafair. Don see them competing with these airlines,unless they connect secondary cities,which is Express's job.

Mango, Comair and Safair all effectively compete on the same "trunk" routes with 150 seaters (viz. Joburg to the coast and intra-coastal). They operate in a traditional LCC sense; namely high volume, low margin, and heavy focus on ancillaries.

Airlink and Express focus on a different niche altogether - they operate in lower volume niche markets where the economics (or operational ability) of the 150 seaters don't work. Cemair is the only real competitor in that market, but their on-again-off-again situation has hurt their brand in recent months. There is definitely a market for an efficient operator to move into these secondary markets (think Kimberly, Bloemfontein, Pietermaritzburg, etc..) to offer services in competition - both as spokes to a hub, as well as hub bypass routes. The 50-100 seater Embraers are ideally suited to this (see Airlink for proof of that). It is a solid business strategy in theory, but the devil will be in the details and the execution.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:00 am

berari wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
Just need Muscat and Kuwait City only (maybe soon), as AUH might drain out pax as being to close to DXB.

Ethiopian already serves Muscat and Kuwait City, and all major middle eastern cities with no unrest with the exception of AUH.

Re: AUH, and even SHJ, ET has consolidated its offering to DXB and if anything I think they'd want additional frequencies. Getting into AUH may require new agreements between Ethiopia and UAE, and could prove risky in terms of competition for Ethiopia/n (read protectionism.) The two countries failed to reach a BASA a few years ago, and Ethiopia even denied Etihad access to ADD as a result. Ethiopia claimed back then that UAE wanted separate agreements for each state within UAE, while Ethiopia wanted a single agreement which governs all Emirate states.

1/ Thanks a ton for the correction Berari, next time I will definitely avoid looking at the first map found on google when typing " ET destinations". :banghead:

2/ Very interesting comment about bilaterals! It looks like ET has more daily frequencies than EK + FZ combined on the ADD - DXB route. Not sure about the exact figures on both side though (3x daily for ET vs 10x weekly for EK maybe?) .
Do you think ADD would get more carriers if there were less hurdles for potential entrants?

:arrow: Uganda Airlines 'Behind Schedule' for first commercial flight:

Delays in the acquisition of an air operator certificate (AOC) among other requirements, has created uncertainty over the exact time when the revived national carrier will launch its first commercial flight.

Uganda Airlines first commercial flight had been scheduled to start next month in July, but now the chief executive director Ephraim Kalyebara Bagenda says that they are behind schedule in terms of preparations.

https://allafrica.com/stories/201906100069.html

:arrow: Kenya Airways aims to double fleet over 5 years on path to profit

“We intend to double the size of the fleet over the next five years if we can find the right financial structure to do this,” Joseph said.

https://af.reuters.com/article/investin ... B1K9-OZABS

Will they stick to Boeing/E2 only or, as mentioned in a recent thread, switch to Airbus/Bombardier?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

AF022

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:49 pm

B747-437B wrote:
mr02 wrote:

Those numbers sound like Rwandair numbers.

dkny

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:02 pm

Do we know what terminal ET will use in JFK.

berari

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:47 pm

eastafspot wrote:
2/ Very interesting comment about bilaterals! It looks like ET has more daily frequencies than EK + FZ combined on the ADD - DXB route. Not sure about the exact figures on both side though (3x daily for ET vs 10x weekly for EK maybe?) .
Do you think ADD would get more carriers if there were less hurdles for potential entrants?

There are no hurdles per se. I don't believe that ADD in itself has enough traffic or yields to entice new entrants. ET's foray into worldwide destinations comes in the form of BASAs that for the most part the other parties are not using. India, for example has ceded some of its home grown airlines' rights to Ethiopia to ET. We have seen many others that have started flying into ADD and pulled out in the last 10 years, including KLM, Air China, TAAG Angola, British Airways. I can't recall if South African also flew into ADD at some point.

What airlines would you deem interested to fly into ADD beyond EY?

AF022 wrote:

Really? I had this perception that Rwandair was doing alright, not that i have dug up numbers or anything.

dkny wrote:
Do we know what terminal ET will use in JFK.

Terminal 8

AF022

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:19 am

berari wrote:

AF022 wrote:

Really? I had this perception that Rwandair was doing alright, not that i have dug up numbers or anything.

http://www.minecofin.gov.rw/fileadmin/t ... _Paper.pdf

"Expenditure under net lending in fiscal year 2018/19 has been projected at FRW 190 billion, which is FRW 12 billion higher than in the fiscal year 2017/18. Out of the allocated amount of FRW 190 billion, FRW 107 [billion] has been allocated to Rwandair as a subsidy for its operations whilst ..."

107 billion Rwandan francs is about €104,000,000.

mr02

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 am

ADD would see extra carriers in the form of LCCs(that's if protectionism stops)which probably won't. I don't see any FSC serving ADD(except for ME3 and TK) and a few African carriers,namely KQ and WB. The only time flights would be added is when an open sky agreement between Ethiopia and a certain country is reached.

berari

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm

mr02 wrote:
ADD would see extra carriers in the form of LCCs(that's if protectionism stops)which probably won't. I don't see any FSC serving ADD(except for ME3 and TK) and a few African carriers,namely KQ and WB. The only time flights would be added is when an open sky agreement between Ethiopia and a certain country is reached.

Can you name LCCs that would enter ADD where you see protectionism as being a barrier to entry today? FlyDubai does fly, the only other one I can see is Jambojet which should be able to enter given that both Ethiopia and Kenya are signatories of SATAM (although we know that KQ boss was averse to it.) Re: Jambojet, KQ would have to make the call to determine whether or not they will serve ADD using both brands. KQ has increased frequency to ADD in recent times to have flights connect with its flagship route to JFK.

The only other one I can think of is Air Arabia from Sharjah, but it falls to the same UAE agreement we discussed above.

I can't think of any airlines that are raring to go into ADD. The only one with upcoming service is Rwandair, which may become successful if it is cooperating with ET for feed.

berari

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:30 pm

China Southern is now flying to Changsa from Nairobi, in addition to its flights to Guangzhou.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-0 ... 137673.htm

Blerg

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:18 am

As Ethiopian economy develops, maybe we will see Pegasus launch SAW flights? They could offer connections to a wide array of destinations? I think their A320neo could make it?

MileHFL400

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:27 am

KQs inaugural flight to FCO and GVA just landed in GVA.
Thanks and best Regards
AA

nairobby

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 am

MileHFL400 wrote:

I hope this route performs well for them

eastafspot
Topic Author

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:51 am

berari wrote:
We have seen many others that have started flying into ADD and pulled out in the last 10 years, including KLM, Air China, TAAG Angola, British Airways. I can't recall if South African also flew into ADD at some point.

Air Arabia maybe? For a such popular tourist destination as Ethiopia.
But the most intriguing, is that **NO** other airport in Ethiopia apart ADD welcomes foreign airline, except DIR - Dire Dawa.
Although the economy is definitely booming, and the total population, among the top 5 in Africa .
Btw, I flew from ADD to LHR with British Midland International and not BA (ages ago though... ;) )

viewtopic.php?t=975211

Blerg wrote:
As Ethiopian economy develops, maybe we will see Pegasus launch SAW flights? They could offer connections to a wide array of destinations? I think their A320neo could make it?

Indeed, a very good suggestion, exactly what was thought! :smile:

AF022 wrote:

http://www.minecofin.gov.rw/fileadmin/t ... _Paper.pdf

"Expenditure under net lending in fiscal year 2018/19 has been projected at FRW 190 billion, which is FRW 12 billion higher than in the fiscal year 2017/18. Out of the allocated amount of FRW 190 billion, FRW 107 [billion] has been allocated to Rwandair as a subsidy for its operations whilst ..."

107 billion Rwandan francs is about €104,000,000.

Good you took time to detail a bit!
This is a total disaster :mad:

Have you seen the future KGL-TLV rundown?
- O&D traffic demand (2018): 2,607 pax
- Growth % YOY: 1.5%

What is going to happen when they will receive the A330neo and start flights to CAN :confused:

mr02 wrote:

Totally agree with you mr02, and why not targeting leisure or charter operators that seem inexistant at ADD, let alone in secondary airports in Ethiopia if you compare to the rest of East Africa ( would be glad to be proved wrong though) - except failed states such Eritrea, Somalia and Burundi....

berari wrote:
China Southern is now flying to Changsa from Nairobi, in addition to its flights to Guangzhou.

What is the goal of this route? Well, can it perform better than the previous HKG? :scratchchin:

nairobby wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:

I hope this route performs well for them

Indeed, fingers crossed,

Do you think, this is likely to happen?

Information received from a regular source has suggested that Kenya Airways may place an order of up to 25 Embraer E190-E2 at Paris Air Show.
Given Kenya Airways’ cash position is the deal likely to be backed by an aircraft leasing company – both Aircap and Air Castle have been mentioned.

https://atcnews.org/2019/06/12/will-ken ... -air-show/

I've already met the blog author (last time was like 2 years ago in Uganda) and talked to this guy recently. But how reliable is he?
Can they resume CAI as a stop over to Europe with this A/C?

Also, are you aware about the fate of KQ's 77W? :?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

berari

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:26 am

eastafspot wrote:
berari wrote:
We have seen many others that have started flying into ADD and pulled out in the last 10 years, including KLM, Air China, TAAG Angola, British Airways. I can't recall if South African also flew into ADD at some point.

Air Arabia maybe? For a such popular tourist destination as Ethiopia.
But the most intriguing, is that **NO** other airport in Ethiopia apart ADD welcomes foreign airline, except DIR - Dire Dawa.
Although the economy is definitely booming, and the total population, among the top 5 in Africa .

Ethiopia is not exactly the tourist destination like Kenya or Tanzania. It still has a long way to go to command large numbers.

Airports in Ethiopia other than ADD have no draw for airlines. Even ET dabbled with a Makale/Bahir Dar to Khartoum routing and it was quickly quashed. Dire Dawa to Djibouti is the only one that works.

eastafspot wrote:
Information received from a regular source has suggested that Kenya Airways may place an order of up to 25 Embraer E190-E2 at Paris Air Show.
Given Kenya Airways’ cash position is the deal likely to be backed by an aircraft leasing company – both Aircap and Air Castle have been mentioned.

I've already met the blog author (last time was like 2 years ago in Uganda) and talked to this guy recently. But how reliable is he?

One lesson learned for Ethiopian is that small narrowbodies do not support its cargo and additional lift ambitions. This was true when they got the B73Ws, and the versatility of the B73s to date have allowed them to use the aircraft not only regionally but also to farther destinations in Africa and the Middle East. What KQ is doing is limit its range with the E190s, remaining more of a boutique airline in my opinion without the versatility that ET has. Even its far flung destinations in Africa such as DKR and ABJ are flown on B73s.

Re: KQs 77Ws, their lease has been extended with TK.

mr02

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 am

berari wrote:

Does Kenya have a huge Chinese diaspora?

mr02

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:44 am

eastafspot wrote:

I always thought Embraer aircraft were too small for them and a A220-100/200 mixture was more suited for their domestic and regional routes.

berari

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:12 am

mr02 wrote:
I always thought Embraer aircraft were too small for them and a A220-100/200 mixture was more suited for their domestic and regional routes.

The A220 was not available to KQ when they ordered and received the E190s many years ago. The incumbent would be Embraer in the event that they are shopping around today.

Blerg

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:18 am

mr02 wrote:
berari wrote:

Does Kenya have a huge Chinese diaspora?

Not really but according to various sources online, the Kenyan government aims to attract 100.000 Chinese tourists... which shouldn't be that hard.

mr02

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:38 pm

berari wrote:
mr02 wrote:

The A220 was not available to KQ when they ordered and received the E190s many years ago. The incumbent would be Embraer in the event that they are shopping around today.

I guess Embraer would offered them a better deal than Boeing or Airbus. They did say that they are looking at the Max 8(but was hesitant due to the MCAS issue) and A220 series(probably used as a negotiating tool to get discounts). But that shouldn't be a problem since KQ might become state owned and get enough money from the state to buy larger aircraft. Also,if they go with the E2 they're going to take payload hits due to NBO's elevation.

mr02

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:44 pm

What happened to Uganda Airlines? Have they launched yet or....?

Blerg

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:42 pm

How is the airport infrastructure in the region? Have there been improvements? Also are cities/countries/airports working on improving connectivity between the airport and the city it serves or do they mostly rely on taxis?

B747-437B

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:12 pm

mr02 wrote:

They don't even have an AOC yet and one of the aircraft has been leased out to Bombardier for use as the demo airframe.

The whole dog and pony show was conducted in April so Museveni so could show Magufuli that he also has an airline toy to play with.

mr02

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:48 pm

B747-437B wrote:
mr02 wrote:

They don't even have an AOC yet and one of the aircraft has been leased out to Bombardier for use as the demo airframe.

The whole dog and pony show was conducted in April so Museveni so could show Magufuli that he also has an airline toy to play with.

So,this guy is blowing millions of dollars just to show he has an airline to toy with. They talked a big game and how they don't want do an Air Tanzania by not having aircraft parked at an airport by not having an AOC. As an African,this continent never ceases to amaze me. God knows what will happen with all the money when they actually get money from their oil deposits.

berari

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:55 pm

mr02 wrote:
berari wrote:
mr02 wrote:

I guess Embraer would offered them a better deal than Boeing or Airbus. They did say that they are looking at the Max 8(but was hesitant due to the MCAS issue) and A220 series(probably used as a negotiating tool to get discounts). But that shouldn't be a problem since KQ might become state owned and get enough money from the state to buy larger aircraft. Also,if they go with the E2 they're going to take payload hits due to NBO's elevation.

The state already owns almost half of the airline, and I hope that the state owning the airline is the saving grace following the failed merger/takeover of the airports idea. KQ has been harping about state subsidies among its competitors, reminds me of individuals that always look outside for their problems but never within. State ownership may put them on a similar playing field in their mind, and in their case would come in the form of the state pumping money into it while its competitors still remain independent of their states save for loan guarantees (unlike them their competitors are quite profitable.)

mr02

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:51 am

berari wrote:
mr02 wrote:
berari wrote:

The state already owns almost half of the airline, and I hope that the state owning the airline is the saving grace following the failed merger/takeover of the airports idea. KQ has been harping about state subsidies among its competitors, reminds me of individuals that always look outside for their problems but never within. State ownership may put them on a similar playing field in their mind, and in their case would come in the form of the state pumping money into it while its competitors still remain independent of their states save for loan guarantees (unlike them their competitors are quite profitable.)

I never saw KQ running the airport. It would have been better to exempt it from taxes or airport fees which probably would have negatively impacted NBO's revenue and profits. I think that's one of the reasons why the state denied the merger. Do you know who the current CEO is or who are shortlisted to get the role? But being state owned does bring its challenges like corruption etc.

mr02

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:48 pm

When is the TC DAR-JNB starting? And are they still going to use the 787?

nairobby

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:37 am

KQ's 9th dreamliner is back in NBO. The aircraft operated as A40-SZ for Oman Air. This means that KQ has it's entire 787 fleet back in operation. Should be reg number 5Y-KZJ.

nairobby

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Apparently KQ609 from MBA lost an engine today https://twitter.com/nellymunyasia/statu ... 5978893312

eastafspot
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:35 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:

Many thanks for the update, totally forgotten :o .Really nice pics & video upon arriving from GVA available here:
https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Pr ... ancement-d

Like Nairobby stated, fingers crossed, it will last more than 5 years!

berari wrote:
Ethiopia is not exactly the tourist destination like Kenya or Tanzania. It still has a long way to go to command large numbers.

Airports in Ethiopia other than ADD have no draw for airlines. Even ET dabbled with a Makale/Bahir Dar to Khartoum routing and it was quickly quashed. Dire Dawa to Djibouti is the only one that works.

Interesting facts, that I was unaware - thanks a lot Berari.
As yes indeed, not other airlines serve regional airport in Ethiopia. Why there are no incentive to increase competition with local operator on domestic/regional routes?

Ethiopia’s Travel & Tourism economy grew by 48.6% in 2018, the largest of any country in the world, according to the World Travel & Tourism Council’s (WTTC)
Read more at: https://www.wttc.org/about/media-centre ... l-tourism/

The only figures found for tourists visiting Ethiopia neared 900K / year, it can't be true, it must be more somehow :eyepopping:

berari wrote:
One lesson learned for Ethiopian is that small narrowbodies do not support its cargo and additional lift ambitions. This was true when they got the B73Ws, and the versatility of the B73s to date have allowed them to use the aircraft not only regionally but also to farther destinations in Africa and the Middle East.

For ET like DXB, LBV, DSS and LOS I presume?
Did their cargo destination map change or, now, they are also sending a dedicated freight a/c to some cities aforementioned (+ maybe more in ME/Africa)?

mr02 wrote:
But that shouldn't be a problem since KQ might become state owned and get enough money from the state to buy larger aircraft.

Not sure if it's a good news though :scratchchin:

mr02 wrote:
When is the TC DAR-JNB starting? And are they still going to use the 787?

Well, according to my current PNR, valid for the 28th of June ( kind of inaugural flight :lol: ) it still remains ok as shown below:
However, I truly hope that you are not a snakebit.... :biggrin:

nairobby wrote:
KQ's 9th dreamliner is back in NBO. The aircraft operated as A40-SZ for Oman Air. This means that KQ has it's entire 787 fleet back in operation. Should be reg number 5Y-KZJ.

The best timing for this move, especially for the summer season :smile:
Any special name planned for her? I would suggest for her "Malaika", what about you ?

nairobby wrote:
Apparently KQ609 from MBA lost an engine today https://twitter.com/nellymunyasia/statu ... 5978893312

A very good twitter attitude, as some Northern Emisphere people would have rushed straight away to claim:

"KQ sucks", "our holidays were ruined in 10 min", "Kenya Airways... meh... never again " and the likes you bet :lol:

eastafspot
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:40 pm

:arrow: RwandAir inaugural flight to CAN got a bit delayed but amazing pics are available here or Tw/FB:
https://www.newtimes.co.rw/news/rwandai ... -guangzhou

:arrow: As Skytrax awards were given at the same time as the Paris Air Show, it appears that:

- Ethiopian is the best 40th airlines and 1st in Africa - as expected,
- RwandAir becomes - for the very first time, Africa's second "Best Regional Airline".

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/worl ... ines-2019/

Next year for sure, RwandAir (WB) will be n°1 in Africa if and only if the President.... :rotfl:

nairobby

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:20 am

Hearing unconfirmed reports from another forum that the 2 Embraers that crashed on the ground at JKIA have been written off

GRJGeorge

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:24 am

Was ET not suppose to start Livingstone (LVI) flights mid-June, think I read about this being opposite triangular as ADD-GBE-LVI-ADD, while the VFA routing remain ADD-VFA-GBE-ADD.

Also read somewhere that ET plans to start ADD-BEW (Beira, Mozambique) soon, but nothing confirmed.

nairobby

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 am

nairobby wrote:

Any special name planned for her? I would suggest for her "Malaika", what about you ?

I'd name it Lake Turkana :D

B747-437B

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:33 pm

GRJGeorge wrote:
Also read somewhere that ET plans to start ADD-BEW (Beira, Mozambique) soon, but nothing confirmed.

It's confirmed. Flights are already on sale. Will operate 3x weekly via Blantyre (ADD-BLZ-BEW-ADD).

mr02

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 pm

B747-437B wrote:
GRJGeorge wrote:

It's confirmed. Flights are already on sale. Will operate 3x weekly via Blantyre (ADD-BLZ-BEW-ADD).

Do you think a 2 stop will work? It just seems a little bit overwhelming.

B747-437B

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:40 am

mr02 wrote:

It works everywhere else ET operates their "triangle" flights, so no reason it won't work here with the domestic feed into Beira. The network effect at Addis is humongous.

berari

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:24 am

mr02 wrote:
B747-437B wrote:
GRJGeorge wrote:

The triangle flights have allowed ET to serve the many destinations it flies to today. They are mostly employed on the central/southern Africa routes that don't command terminator service, and whose distance/operation allow for connectivity at the morning departure and evening arrival banks at Addis Ababa. In some cases, like Lilongwe and Lubumbashi, these routes have been converted to terminator service, which we may see more of depending on aircraft availability, demand, and of course capacity at ADD.

mr02

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:16 pm

B747-437B wrote:
mr02 wrote:

It works everywhere else ET operates their "triangle" flights, so no reason it won't work here with the domestic feed into Beira. The network effect at Addis is humongous.

So is that why ET utilises so many widebody aircraft and is able to fill them?

eastafspot
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 pm

nairobby wrote:
nairobby wrote:

Not bad indeed!
Maybe a natural attraction in West Africa would be great otherwise.

:arrow: Work constructions on the way at Bujumbura airport - Burundi, for the passenger terminal extension (has a new airline showed interest into flying there?). No more nice views to the apron right now.
On the other hand, a brand new business lounge has finally been opened ( usd30 entrance fee).

:arrow: a project of a new international airport in Burundi's capital city - Gitega is in the pipeline.

http://www.burundi.gov.bi/spip.php?article4164e

:arrow: is ET sending 777 frequently to DAR? Today the huge rift valley (not sure about the reg) was parked next to Air Tanzania 787. For cargo or summer season demand?

:arrow: New terminal looks really beautiful, much better than on the pictures. Hope it will ease the arrival process as this afternoon, 1,5h was spent to grab (for the first time to me) the visa on arrival - even though there were not too many incoming flights... :?

nairobby

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:10 am

eastafspot wrote:
nairobby wrote:
nairobby wrote:

Not bad indeed!
Maybe a natural attraction in West Africa would be great otherwise.

* :arrow: is ET sending 777 frequently to DAR? Today the huge rift valley (not sure about the reg) was parked next to Air Tanzania 787. For cargo or summer season demand?

ET sends big planes everywhere

factsonly

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:24 pm

From July 2nd, 2019 KLM will operate its first B787-10 in 100th Anniversary colours exclusively on AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS:

- 02 Jul 2019 Amsterdam (AMS) - Kilimanjaro (JRO) B78X (PH-BKA) 10:35 — 19:55
- 02 Jul 2019 Kilimanjaro (JRO) - Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) B78X (PH-BKA) 21:00 — 22:00
- 02 Jul 2019 Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) - Amsterdam (AMS) B78X (PH-BKA) 23:20 — 07:25

factsonly

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:15 pm

factsonly wrote:
From July 2nd, 2019 KLM will operate its first B787-10 in 100th Anniversary colours exclusively on AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS:

- 02 Jul 2019 Amsterdam (AMS) - Kilimanjaro (JRO) B78X (PH-BKA) 10:35 — 19:55
- 02 Jul 2019 Kilimanjaro (JRO) - Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) B78X (PH-BKA) 21:00 — 22:00
- 02 Jul 2019 Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) - Amsterdam (AMS) B78X (PH-BKA) 23:20 — 07:25

Postponed

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos