Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
 
factsonly
Posts: 2962
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:24 pm

From July 2nd, 2019 KLM will operate its first B787-10 in 100th Anniversary colours exclusively on AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS:

- 02 Jul 2019 Amsterdam (AMS) - Kilimanjaro (JRO) B78X (PH-BKA) 10:35 — 19:55
- 02 Jul 2019 Kilimanjaro (JRO) - Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) B78X (PH-BKA) 21:00 — 22:00
- 02 Jul 2019 Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) - Amsterdam (AMS) B78X (PH-BKA) 23:20 — 07:25

 
factsonly
Posts: 2962
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:15 pm

factsonly wrote:
From July 2nd, 2019 KLM will operate its first B787-10 in 100th Anniversary colours exclusively on AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS:

- 02 Jul 2019 Amsterdam (AMS) - Kilimanjaro (JRO) B78X (PH-BKA) 10:35 — 19:55
- 02 Jul 2019 Kilimanjaro (JRO) - Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) B78X (PH-BKA) 21:00 — 22:00
- 02 Jul 2019 Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) - Amsterdam (AMS) B78X (PH-BKA) 23:20 — 07:25



Postponed
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 am

factsonly wrote:
From July 2nd, 2019 KLM will operate its first B787-10 in 100th Anniversary colours exclusively on AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS:

- 02 Jul 2019 Amsterdam (AMS) - Kilimanjaro (JRO) B78X (PH-BKA) 10:35 — 19:55
- 02 Jul 2019 Kilimanjaro (JRO) - Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) B78X (PH-BKA) 21:00 — 22:00
- 02 Jul 2019 Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) - Amsterdam (AMS) B78X (PH-BKA) 23:20 — 07:25


Amazing news!
Not aware about this - so thank you very much " factsonly" :smile:
Too bad for the short notice though, 3 weeks ago would have been perfect.
What about the kind crew, do you know if they have to wear a special event unform!

Glad to see news Europe,: :smile:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
factsonly
Posts: 2962
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 am

eastafspot wrote:
factsonly wrote:
From July 2nd, 2019 KLM will operate its first B787-10 in 100th Anniversary colours exclusively on AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS:

- 02 Jul 2019 Amsterdam (AMS) - Kilimanjaro (JRO) B78X (PH-BKA) 10:35 — 19:55
- 02 Jul 2019 Kilimanjaro (JRO) - Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) B78X (PH-BKA) 21:00 — 22:00
- 02 Jul 2019 Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) - Amsterdam (AMS) B78X (PH-BKA) 23:20 — 07:25


Amazing news!
Not aware about this - so thank you very much " factsonly" :smile:
Too bad for the short notice though, 3 weeks ago would have been perfect.
What about the kind crew, do you know if they have to wear a special event unform!

Glad to see news Europe,: :smile:


Of the three KLM flight numbers AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS, the planned operation is as follows:
- KL567 - B77W exclusively
- KL569 - mix of B77W, B78X, B772
- KL571 - B78X exclusively

But things are likely to change.
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:48 pm

nairobby wrote:
ET sends big planes everywhere

Sure, you right!
Do you have more info about the design of the expansion of JKIA? and it will start?

factsonly wrote:

Of the three KLM flight numbers AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS, the planned operation is as follows:
- KL567 - B77W exclusively
- KL569 - mix of B77W, B78X, B772
- KL571 - B78X exclusively

But things are likely to change.

Good to learn this :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

KL567= 2x weekly (Friday, Sunday)
KL569= 3x weekly (Mon, Wed, Sat)
KL571= 2x weekly (Tue, thu)
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:54 pm

:arrow: Ethiopian Airlines starts Garowe, its second destination in Somalia.
https://newsaero.info/airlines/ethiopia ... ?true=1922

:arrow: Some pics of DAR new T3:

Image

Image

Future Air Tanzania Lounge?

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/tzmsemajimkuu/statu ... 04928?s=21
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
berari
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm

nairobby wrote:
ET sends big planes everywhere


Pretty much. Even Lubumbashi/Lilongwe is seeing B789s!
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:28 am

berari wrote:
nairobby wrote:
ET sends big planes everywhere


Pretty much. Even Lubumbashi/Lilongwe is seeing B789s!

About 12-13 years ago, when I used to travel frequently to Malawi, LLW was mainly a 757 destination for ET while KQ was sending some days of week a mix of 767/772...


ET734, operated by ET-ATL, has just landed in MRS at 7:50 (like 40 min ago).



If you have some photos of the event please share them asap, thanks!!! :champagne: :airplane:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8901
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:11 am

berari wrote:
Pretty much. Even Lubumbashi/Lilongwe is seeing B789s!


This is a function of the closure of the main runway in Blantyre for refurbishment. As a result, ET cannot fly direct into BLZ and instead are ferrying the BLZ pax via LLW using the Malawian Airlines Dash 8s. LLW will return to 737 operations once BLZ is reopened and has its own separate flight (combined with BEZ/NLA on different days of the week).
 
berari
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:38 pm

B747-437B wrote:
berari wrote:
Pretty much. Even Lubumbashi/Lilongwe is seeing B789s!


This is a function of the closure of the main runway in Blantyre for refurbishment. As a result, ET cannot fly direct into BLZ and instead are ferrying the BLZ pax via LLW using the Malawian Airlines Dash 8s. LLW will return to 737 operations once BLZ is reopened and has its own separate flight (combined with BEZ/NLA on different days of the week).


Right. BLZ will also be coupled with Beira in Mozambique in coming weeks, another new destination for ET.
 
Ti23
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:01 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Hello Guys am New Here ..day one today :D ..
I was going through the thread ..and i liked it good and impressive ..things..

Would like to make some clarification about a question i saw on previous thread about air tanzania

So the Mumbai flights will be operated by B787 from 17th July 3* weekly Wed,Fri,Sun and the scheduled depature time will be 19:30hrs ..this will be convenient for Connection from Lusaka,Harare which the flight arrives at 5:45pm..Joburg which arrives at 6:35pm..Entebbe which arrives at 5:25pm and Bujumbura which arrives at 4:40pm

I Hope with the coming of another 787 at the end of the year ..Guangzhou and London Flights will start
 
mr02
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Is BA flying to Tanzania?
 
evanb
Posts: 912
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:27 am

mr02 wrote:
Is BA flying to Tanzania?


No.
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:27 pm

:arrow: SInce DR of Congo applies for admission to East African Community (EAC) very recently, it should be fair to now include them in the East African Aviation Thread, though the eastern part of the country speaks kiswahili, like Nigerians (or Myself) speak English. :lol:
However, they (Congoleses in general) remain excellent traders with many large communties spread out in Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya.
In Burundi and Rwanda, it's like 1/4 of the population near the borders...

https://www.france24.com/en/20190613-dr ... trade-bloc


********************************

:arrow: Air Tanzania inks tourism deal with Chinese firm (Touchroad International Holdings Group). Confirmed today, charter flights starting from August 2019 using the B787 between Dar and Hangzhou.(HGH).

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost ... tcount=802
https://www.facebook.com/airtanzania/
https://allafrica.com/stories/201903130842.html

ATCL will receive their 2nd Dreamliner in November (?).
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
berari
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:37 pm

In light of recent expansion at Ethiopian Airlines including routes like Marseille and doubling of flights to Istanbul and adding Amman & Beira, and new frequencies to Asmara, I've been wondering how they're doing it despite having parked 4 MAXs that were in service before the crash. They have received this week a B738 that was operated by Jet Airways, and I would suspect one or two more aircraft of same type to join in soon to make things work? The additional frequencies to IAD and the new service to IAH have so far been shelved, and we don't see much in terms of long haul expansion this year.

ET's expansion drive will be marred by the hold up surrounding MAX deliveries. They had 30 on order, having taken delivery of 5. They intend to be the last to fly them again, with questions around committing to take them all eventually. This should see ET keeping the six 767s around for a while longer (of which 5 fly on its commercial routes) unless they manage to ramp up the delivery of A350s and/or add more B78s to their fleet.
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:17 am

Ti23 wrote:
Hello Guys am New Here ..day one today :D ..
I was going through the thread ..and i liked it good and impressive ..things..

Would like to make some clarification about a question i saw on previous thread about air tanzania

So the Mumbai flights will be operated by B787 from 17th July 3* weekly Wed,Fri,Sun and the scheduled depature time will be 19:30hrs ..this will be convenient for Connection from Lusaka,Harare which the flight arrives at 5:45pm..Joburg which arrives at 6:35pm..Entebbe which arrives at 5:25pm and Bujumbura which arrives at 4:40pm

I Hope with the coming of another 787 at the end of the year ..Guangzhou and London Flights will start


First of all, welcome to Airliners.net, Ti23 - Karibuni sana! Glad to welcome you as a new menber who knows straight forward ATCL schedules. Do you mind if we request your help sooner than later for such questions related to TZ?

Again, Ti23 feel free to bring your valuable contributions up here - whenever you wish/can :smile:

tutaonana baadaye :wave:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:25 am

berari wrote:
, and we don't see much in terms of long haul expansion this year.

ET's expansion drive will be marred by the hold up surrounding MAX deliveries. They had 30 on order, having taken delivery of 5. They intend to be the last to fly them again, with questions around committing to take them all eventually. This should see ET keeping the six 767s around for a while longer (of which 5 fly on its commercial routes) unless they manage to ramp up the delivery of A350s and/or add more B78s to their fleet.


Were the ET MAX supposed to expand to new routes?
Which ones come to your mind immediately?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8901
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am

berari wrote:
This should see ET keeping the six 767s around for a while longer (of which 5 fly on its commercial routes)


Actually, it looks like they have only been deploying ALO/ALP/ALJ on commercial routes recently. ALH (in UN colours) as well as AMF/AMG are doing UN and other charter work.

ALJ/ALP have been reconfigured with the new interiors (flat beds in business class, streaming IFE), but I believe ALO reconfig project was shelved and she still has the ancient recliners and first generation mini-PTVs.
 
bmagee
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 pm

B747-437B wrote:
berari wrote:
Pretty much. Even Lubumbashi/Lilongwe is seeing B789s!


This is a function of the closure of the main runway in Blantyre for refurbishment. As a result, ET cannot fly direct into BLZ and instead are ferrying the BLZ pax via LLW using the Malawian Airlines Dash 8s. LLW will return to 737 operations once BLZ is reopened and has its own separate flight (combined with BEZ/NLA on different days of the week).


Flew into LLW on ETs A350 yesterday! Definitely glad to be taking advantage of the larger aircraft into LLW.
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:52 am

Some of you might be interested on this:

:arrow: Ethiopian Airlines, now offering a complimentary transit city tour in Addis Ababa for all transit passengers having 6 to 8h between their flights :

Transit passengers wishing to take advantage of this offer are required to send their name before their flight departs from its origin using the dedicated mail ADDFreeTransitTour


https://atcnews.org/2019/07/11/ethiopia ... -in-addis/
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
nairobby
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:17 am

Just noticed QR1341 to NBO has been upgraded to an A359 for a while now
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:29 pm

nairobby wrote:
Just noticed QR1341 to NBO has been upgraded to an A359 for a while now

For a while?
You mean for the summer only?

***********

:arrow: Recently, there was a splendid MD80 "AFRICAN" in a green livery, parked at NBO. (Or variant - not sure exactly though). I've got the picture somewhere - for sure!
It would be very interesting to board this aircraft before she retires: Reg is something like 5Y-XLA or similar...
Are destinations limited to Kenya (NBO+ Wajir) plus Somalia - MCQ or somewhere else?

Or maybe too late to catch her?

Many thanks for the specialists :smile:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 am

B747-437B wrote:
berari wrote:
This should see ET keeping the six 767s around for a while longer (of which 5 fly on its commercial routes)


Actually, it looks like they have only been deploying ALO/ALP/ALJ on commercial routes recently. ALH (in UN colours) as well as AMF/AMG are doing UN and other charter work.

ALJ/ALP have been reconfigured with the new interiors (flat beds in business class, streaming IFE), but I believe ALO reconfig project was shelved and she still has the ancient recliners and first generation mini-PTVs.


Precious infos! Guaranteed ! :hyper:
Please, provide more infos on them, frequently,
Especially, in the UN-Colored A/C, if you can!
These are really hard to track on - let alone in Africa!
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
nairobby
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:25 am

Summer season is in full swing at KQ. Paris and Amsterdam getting 2 extra flights weekly on top of the daily schedule. JFK now served daily.
 
mr02
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:13 am

nairobby wrote:
Summer season is in full swing at KQ. Paris and Amsterdam getting 2 extra flights weekly on top of the daily schedule. JFK now served daily.

Any news regarding Mikosz's replacement?
 
Ti23
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:01 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:47 am

Air Tanzania to start Mumbai route today...3* a week using B787..
Price starts at 202usd one way 378 return..
Mumbai to Jo'burg via Dar at 422usd
 
Ti23
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:01 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:50 am

nairobby wrote:
Just noticed QR1341 to NBO has been upgraded to an A359 for a while now

Thats nice ..Qatar serves Nairobi 3* daily
A320
A330
A350
A lot of passengers to doha
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Topic Author
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:43 pm

Ti23 wrote:
Air Tanzania to start Mumbai route today...3* a week using B787..
Price starts at 202usd one way 378 return..
Mumbai to Jo'burg via Dar at 422usd


Just amazing!
Wish to see more of this, please :smile:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
HP69
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:52 pm

Should ET start BOS service? It is their largest unserved market in the US.
 
berari
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:46 am

HP69 wrote:
Should ET start BOS service? It is their largest unserved market in the US.


What are the figures between ADD and BOS, or even Africa to BOS within ET's purview?

Ti23 wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Just noticed QR1341 to NBO has been upgraded to an A359 for a while now

Thats nice ..Qatar serves Nairobi 3* daily
A320
A330
A350
A lot of passengers to doha


KQ is loud on competition that ET brings from next door using narrowbodies, including opening up markets within Africa, while Kenya allows QR and EK to plough NBO with widebodies. These passengers are not ending up at Doha, but onward.
 
Rubani294
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:31 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:21 am

Ti23 wrote:
nairobby wrote:
Just noticed QR1341 to NBO has been upgraded to an A359 for a while now

Thats nice ..Qatar serves Nairobi 3* daily
A320
A330
A350
A lot of passengers to doha

On some weekends, NBO sees;
A320
A350
A350
 
nairobby
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:42 am

berari wrote:
KQ is loud on competition that ET brings from next door using narrowbodies, including opening up markets within Africa, while Kenya allows QR and EK to plough NBO with widebodies. These passengers are not ending up at Doha, but onward.


Indeed. However, Emirates should have been doing 3x daily by now but the authorities cancelled that 3rd frequency.
I wish Qatar could buy KQ somehow..
 
Ti23
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:01 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:30 am

nairobby wrote:
berari wrote:
KQ is loud on competition that ET brings from next door using narrowbodies, including opening up markets within Africa, while Kenya allows QR and EK to plough NBO with widebodies. These passengers are not ending up at Doha, but onward.


Indeed. However, Emirates should have been doing 3x daily by now but the authorities cancelled that 3rd frequency.
I wish Qatar could buy KQ somehow..


Does Fly Dubai Operate DXB -JKIA?

In Dar Emirates used to operate 2x daily
But after code sharing with Fly Dubai

Now emirates operates 1 daily
And Fly DB operates 2x daily 1via Zanzibar another Via Kilimanjaro during summer and winter and 1x daily via Znz during low season
 
Ti23
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:01 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:36 am

Alot of EA passengers pass through middl east..
Emirates operates 2x daily Nai
Qatar 3x daily
Air Arabia daily
Ethiad daily
Also Kenya airways goes to Dubai
For UG
Emirates Daily
Fly Dubai daily
Qatar Daily via Kigali
For TZ
Emirates daily Dar
Fly Dubai daily Znz and Dar
Qatar Daily Dar,Kilimanjaro, Znz
For Rwand
Rwand air goes to Dubai i dnt knw the freq

Does Emirates fly to Addis? Whats thr freq
Also does Qatar and Etihad fly to addis
 
Delta28L
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:22 pm

Ti23 wrote:
Alot of EA passengers pass through middl east..
Emirates operates 2x daily Nai
Qatar 3x daily
Air Arabia daily
Ethiad daily
Also Kenya airways goes to Dubai
For UG
Emirates Daily
Fly Dubai daily
Qatar Daily via Kigali
For TZ
Emirates daily Dar
Fly Dubai daily Znz and Dar
Qatar Daily Dar,Kilimanjaro, Znz
For Rwand
Rwand air goes to Dubai i dnt knw the freq

Does Emirates fly to Addis? Whats thr freq
Also does Qatar and Etihad fly to addis


Ethiopia
EK is a daily 777
QR is every other day with a 787
EY does not
 
berari
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:41 pm

nairobby wrote:
berari wrote:
KQ is loud on competition that ET brings from next door using narrowbodies, including opening up markets within Africa, while Kenya allows QR and EK to plough NBO with widebodies. These passengers are not ending up at Doha, but onward.


Indeed. However, Emirates should have been doing 3x daily by now but the authorities cancelled that 3rd frequency.
I wish Qatar could buy KQ somehow..


What benefit do you see from QR buying KQ? And perhaps not another airline. Or like ET, KQ running itself by Kenyans? It's been bought and managed by KL for years and well, we know where that got it, how different/what difference would there be being bought by another airline?
 
nairobby
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:39 am

berari wrote:
nairobby wrote:
berari wrote:
KQ is loud on competition that ET brings from next door using narrowbodies, including opening up markets within Africa, while Kenya allows QR and EK to plough NBO with widebodies. These passengers are not ending up at Doha, but onward.


Indeed. However, Emirates should have been doing 3x daily by now but the authorities cancelled that 3rd frequency.
I wish Qatar could buy KQ somehow..


What benefit do you see from QR buying KQ? And perhaps not another airline. Or like ET, KQ running itself by Kenyans? It's been bought and managed by KL for years and well, we know where that got it, how different/what difference would there be being bought by another airline?


I just don't want the airline to be nationalised. That burden shouldn't go to the taxpayer. QR has been buying airlines for a while and KQ could be a great way for them to expand their footing given their great African network. This would be difficult though given KQ's balance sheet has been eroded massively. A different management style is needed at the airline.
 
mr02
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Air Tanzania to purchase 2 new A220-300 from Airbus.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... rom-airbus
 
berari
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:10 pm

NAIROBI, July 23 (Reuters) - Kenya’s parliament voted on Tuesday to nationalise the country’s main airline Kenya Airways to save it from mounting debts.

The loss-making airline, which is 48.9% government-owned and 7.8% held by Air France-KLM, has been struggling to return to profitability and growth.

A failed expansion drive and a slump in air travel forced it to restructure $2 billion of debt in 2017. The airline later proposed taking over the running of Nairobi’s main airport to boost its revenue.

Parliament’s transport committee, however, rejected that plan, recommending instead the nationalisation of the airline in a report debated by the national assembly on June 18.

In a voice vote taken on Tuesday afternoon, the majority of lawmakers in the chamber voted to accept the report.

Kenya Airways Chairman Michael Joseph told Reuters the vote was “great news”.


https://www.reuters.com/article/kenya-a ... SL8N24O4NJ


One thing that I find ironic is this, especially given that all these years KQ management has been openly complaining about alleged subsidies the likes of EK and ET get.

The committee’s report also recommended the holding company be given tax concessions for a period to be determined and that it be exempted from paying excise duty on all goods, including jet fuel.

 
mr02
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:30 pm

berari wrote:
NAIROBI, July 23 (Reuters) - Kenya’s parliament voted on Tuesday to nationalise the country’s main airline Kenya Airways to save it from mounting debts.

The loss-making airline, which is 48.9% government-owned and 7.8% held by Air France-KLM, has been struggling to return to profitability and growth.

A failed expansion drive and a slump in air travel forced it to restructure $2 billion of debt in 2017. The airline later proposed taking over the running of Nairobi’s main airport to boost its revenue.

Parliament’s transport committee, however, rejected that plan, recommending instead the nationalisation of the airline in a report debated by the national assembly on June 18.

In a voice vote taken on Tuesday afternoon, the majority of lawmakers in the chamber voted to accept the report.

Kenya Airways Chairman Michael Joseph told Reuters the vote was “great news”.


https://www.reuters.com/article/kenya-a ... SL8N24O4NJ


One thing that I find ironic is this, especially given that all these years KQ management has been openly complaining about alleged subsidies the likes of EK and ET get.

The committee’s report also recommended the holding company be given tax concessions for a period to be determined and that it be exempted from paying excise duty on all goods, including jet fuel.


Aren't KQ'S staff ridiculously overpaid?
 
berari
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Kenya has once again denied Emirates a third frequency into the country citing restructuring at Kenya Airways.

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/new ... index.html
 
MileHFL400
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:02 pm

berari wrote:
Kenya has once again denied Emirates a third frequency into the country citing restructuring at Kenya Airways.

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/new ... index.html


Kenya airways dug their own grave long time ago with Naikuni at its helm and Kirubi on its board. Nothing to do with the gulf carriers access to market
Thanks and best Regards
AA
 
RainerBoeing777
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:43 am

Is there any information on when the Kenya Airways Boeing 777-300ER return to their fleet? I imagine when they return they will return to Amsterdam (AMS) or maybe fly to Paris (CDG) or London (LHR)
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG
 
Rubani294
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:31 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:02 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Is there any information on when the Kenya Airways Boeing 777-300ER return to their fleet? I imagine when they return they will return to Amsterdam (AMS) or maybe fly to Paris (CDG) or London (LHR)

I don't think the B773ER will return to KQ... .
TK recently managed to extend the leases at a 'bargain'. Returning the aircrafts back to be parked was going to be even more expensive.
The B777 is too big a plane for them. Their B787 fleet seem to be the right fit for their current network.
 
mr02
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:23 am

MileHFL400 wrote:
berari wrote:
Kenya has once again denied Emirates a third frequency into the country citing restructuring at Kenya Airways.

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/new ... index.html


Kenya airways dug their own grave long time ago with Naikuni at its helm and Kirubi on its board. Nothing to do with the gulf carriers access to market

I think its more less a poorly timed expansion plan that made them get neck deep in the sh*t. Maybe eastafspot might know more.
 
MileHFL400
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:27 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Is there any information on when the Kenya Airways Boeing 777-300ER return to their fleet? I imagine when they return they will return to Amsterdam (AMS) or maybe fly to Paris (CDG) or London (LHR)


Probably never. They ll probably try and dispose of them when TK leases expire in 2026.

I reckon they ll look at leasing B787-9/10’s
Thanks and best Regards
AA
 
GRJGeorge
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:45 pm

It seems ET isn't operating some flights on ADD-JNB the last week and looking ahead it varies...looks like morning JNB-ADD departure and midday ADD-JNB...leaving the aircraft standing at JNB all day again (from 4am arrival to 11pm departure)...this while they might have aircraft shortage with Max grounding? Looks like the flight operated via MPM today.

On a different note, what happened to ET's Livingstone (LVI), Zambia plans...was suppose to launch middle-June and thus giving GBE a different directional triangle routing with some inbound nonstop ADD-GBE flights...so in addition to ADD-VFA-GBE-ADD flights as it is now, there would have been ADD-GBE-LVI-ADD flights as well. Have this been postponed to a later date, can't find any official confirmation.
 
berari
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:28 pm

GRJGeorge wrote:
It seems ET isn't operating some flights on ADD-JNB the last week and looking ahead it varies...looks like morning JNB-ADD departure and midday ADD-JNB...leaving the aircraft standing at JNB all day again (from 4am arrival to 11pm departure)...this while they might have aircraft shortage with Max grounding? Looks like the flight operated via MPM today.

On a different note, what happened to ET's Livingstone (LVI), Zambia plans...was suppose to launch middle-June and thus giving GBE a different directional triangle routing with some inbound nonstop ADD-GBE flights...so in addition to ADD-VFA-GBE-ADD flights as it is now, there would have been ADD-GBE-LVI-ADD flights as well. Have this been postponed to a later date, can't find any official confirmation.


Schedules to JNB show that the mid afternoon flight will only operate 4x per week until mid September. It could be a number of things including aircraft shortage or weak demand.

The LVI plans appear to have been shelved for now.
 
HaulSudson
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:36 am

It seems uganda airlines is promoting regional flights from 28 august onwards.
Mogadishu is one of the destinations.
 
HaulSudson
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 am

Ti23 wrote:
Alot of EA passengers pass through middl east..
Emirates operates 2x daily Nai
Qatar 3x daily
Air Arabia daily
Ethiad daily
Also Kenya airways goes to Dubai
For UG
Emirates Daily
Fly Dubai daily


Ug gets more ek flights. Thrice daily over the weekend.

One of them may be flydubai, the arrangement is not always clear to me.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos