Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atal17

Re: East African Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:25 am

Bright spot for Ethiopian despite their tumultuous year - ET reports operating profit of $260m, with a net profit of $189m on the back of $4b operational revenue

https://www.thereporterethiopia.com/art ... sons-smile

Good going, ET!

mr02

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:38 am

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 pm

B747-437B wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
Anyone who thinks that Djibouti is more expensive than Addis to operate into has never actually operated out of either airport. Accra more expensive than Freetown? Somebody is smoking the strong stuff today.

Of course - most figures must be taken with pinch of salt, especially since the West African, let alone, Central African market, is not represented (as it is stipulated somewhere).
As the doc takes into consideration only 737 type, do you think calculating it with a WB (let's say 787 or A330), would drastically change the final outcome?
For some reasons as JIB is more a military base, i thought authorities don't care about increasing traffic/airlines and revenue thus no incentive coupled with high fees! Looks like i'm totally wrong if you don't mind explaining a bit!

Anyway, spot on for the visa openness with Somalia being among continent's best :lol:

Today's news:

:arrow: Air Tanzania indefinitely shelves flights to South Africa. Wow this was a short lived destination - not even 3 months!
https://www.thecitizen.co.tz/news/18403 ... index.html

:arrow: Today (7/10/19) Uganda receives two more bombardier CRJ 900 jetliners:
https://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National ... index.html

Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:53 pm

mr02 wrote:

Will it be a good idea?
Months ago, ET were in talks to help Air ZImbabwe, plus Zambia (not Zambian) Airways too IIRC....
As they can't partner with every one, which airline would be the best investment?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

mr02

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:39 am

eastafspot wrote:
mr02 wrote:

Will it be a good idea?
Months ago, ET were in talks to help Air ZImbabwe, plus Zambia (not Zambian) Airways too IIRC....
As they can't partner with every one, which airline would be the best investment?

I don't know which one would be the best but if it were to invest in one of these Airlines ET would probably want to have some control of the airline.

alyusuph

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 am

Tanzania takes delivery of second Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_W ... 343386.htm

DAR ES SALAAM, Oct. 26 (Xinhua) -- Tanzania took delivery on Saturday of its second Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner for the national flag carrier Air Tanzania Company Limited (ATCL) bringing to eight the total number of brand new delivered planes in its fleet.

Upon its arrival, the 262-seat Dreamliner christened Rubondo Island, a national park located on an island in Lake Victoria, received a water salute at the Julius Nyerere International Airport in the commercial capital Dar es Salaam in a ceremony officiated by President John Magufuli.

The delivery of the aircraft from the Boeing factory in Seattle, the United States, is part of plans by Magufuli's government to revive ATCL.

The government plans to purchase a total of 14 new aircraft for the airline, said Leonard Chamriho, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Works, Transport and Communication.

The official said eight aircraft have already been delivered, with four more expected to arrive between next month and 2021.

Speaking shortly before he commissioned the new aircraft, President Magufuli said his administration will ensure total revival of the national airline which had been ailing for a long time.

"Tanzanians and I are the happiest today with the delivery of this state-of-the-art Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner bought using local financial resources," said Magufuli adding that the plane was flown by Tanzanian pilots from for 18 hours non-stop from Seattle to Dar es Salaam.

"I have always been telling fellow Tanzanians that we can achieve wonders. Our country is rich. We have minerals," said the president, challenging ATCL to work hard.

The delivery of the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner brought to eight the number of new aircraft delivered to Tanzania since Magufuli took office in November 2015 and began reviving the loss-making ATCL.

Magufuli has personally taken charge of the revival of the state carrier, with his government spending hundreds of millions of dollars purchasing new planes.

Magufuli's government hopes that a more efficient national airline will help boost tourism, the main foreign exchange earner in Tanzania's economy. Enditem
I am not an Airbus or Boeing fan, just an aircraft fan

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:07 pm

alyusuph wrote:
Tanzania takes delivery of second Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_W ... 343386.htm

Excellent news, many thanks for reporting as a few days ago a grim news appeared:

Minister dismisses reports on Tanzania receiving new Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
https://www.thecitizen.co.tz/news/Minis ... index.html

Glad, they proved to be right! Fingers crossed no sanctions for them :oops:
CAN or LON next for TC? (Hopefully for April20) :smile:

:arrow: Bujumbura Airport (BJM) - Burundi is undergoing some needed renovations & expansion. A FF lounge first was introduced in Jan19, then a better departure lounge is currently being built.
This amazing vid shows the best part that will see improvements :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKLgbqU8Frw

Also, from what was heard Uganda Airlines is performing higher than expectations... Good for them

More news from East Africa coming soon, so stay tuned ;)

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Bujumbura airport (BJM) - Burundi, departure terminal during renovations ( my own photos):
Indoor photos will come soon....

nairobby

Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:34 am

Jambojet has started selling tickets for Mogadishu & Kigali

evanb

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 pm

alyusuph wrote:

They had the first one for over a year and get horrible utilization with it, flying a 3x weekly flight to BOM and occassional regional destinations. That must be burning money.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:32 pm

evanb wrote:
alyusuph wrote:

They had the first one for over a year and get horrible utilization with it, flying a 3x weekly flight to BOM and occassional regional destinations. That must be burning money.

You're very right Evanb, something very fishy occured in South Africa for them to cancel flights so quickly. Even in East Africa, their network doesn't reach important cities like ADD, NBO or SEZ (as a tourist destination).
If they target to become a point to point niche airline, will they be successful?
If they decide to fly nonstop to LGW soon, they will certainly dig their own grave!

nairobby wrote:
Jambojet has started selling tickets for Mogadishu & Kigali

Hummm, a very interesting development...
Do you know why it isn't a KQ plane flying to MGQ?
Do flights still have to stop/land somewhere else in Kenya before reaching NBO?

As for Jambojet to Rwanda, a mixed feeling arises:

1/ if it increases frequency (2 to 3x or more daily) or launch MBA/KIS/EDL then,why nott!
2/ If they plan to do like Bujumbura, morning flight with KQ E90 - direct or via BJM depending on days - and evening flight with JamboJet nonstop and direct, then it's not so good :mad: (=as I've been used to upgraded to J every 4 flights on this sector).
Then their Dash8 flights will be a no go if I have to choose - mostly due to noise and also it takes longer to cover the distance, 2h05 vs 1h30 in E90...

eastafspot
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:26 pm

:arrow: Kenya Airways introduces new Economy Comfort seat:

Economy Comfort features increased seat pitch of 8cm more than the average Economy Class seats. The Economy Comfort seats are located in the first three rows of Economy Class hence availing 27 seats per aircraft. Additionally, passengers travelling in these seats will enjoy more benefits such as a dedicated overhead cabin for their carry-on luggage, quicker exit as they are at the front of the cabin thus they save time, and travel extras which include a complementary amenity kit and special pillows.

Not sure the Skyteam partners DL, KL or AF offer the same, but surely it improves comfort for passengers for long trip in 787 and 737, has anyone already tried these seats?
Can someone explain me (a serious question), how can KQ offer a better pitch on 3 row, without reducing the aircraft capacity? Where are those 24cm (3*8) gained from previously?
Anyway for $100-150 depending the sector, it looks like an honest price - but in another way, I dont' know what DL or KL charge for these!

https://corporate.kenya-airways.com/upl ... routes.pdf

:arrow: Zanzibar (ZNZ) - Tanzania welcomes first ever commercial B747 flight:

Zanzibar is now receiving a weekly flight from Moscow throughout the European winter season, operated with a Boeing B747 of Russiya Airlines.
Biblio Globus, a leading Russian tour operator, is chartering the flight to bring Russian tourists, wishing to escape the winter cold, to the sunny beaches of Zanzibar.
On the inaugural flight were over 500 passengers

The genuine question is:
Did the new Russian pax went through the brand new or had to endure the suffocating old terminal.... :duck:
FYI: ZNZ runway length: 3,007 m or 9,865ft.
Hope to see more WB (not RwandAir this time ;) , well ...) aircraft soon there.

(Javed Jafferji, Zanzibari tourism, hospitality and marketing guru, at hand to welcome the inaugural flight of Russiya Airlines)

https://atcnews.org/2019/10/28/zanzibar ... 47-flight/

Cunard

Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:28 am

eastafspot

Wasn't the plan for Air Tanzania to fly JRO-DAR-LGW?

With the second B788 joining the fleet I had been expecting an official announcement from Air Tanzania regarding the resumption of LGW.

The way things are going it may well be Uganda Airlines beating Air Tanzania in resuming service to LGW.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:30 am

Cunard wrote:
eastafspot

With the second B788 joining the fleet I had been expecting an official announcement from Air Tanzania regarding the resumption of LGW.

The way things are going it may well be Uganda Airlines beating Air Tanzania in resuming service to LGW.

Sorry for the late reply CUNARD!
TBH, we are in the same boat - awaiting for news.as when TC would start its European operations.
Instead of what you mentioned ( JRO-DAR-LGW), a double touch in Europe - UK + Germany and/or Switzerland/France would make more sense these days!

You might know the meaning of "Pole Pole"...
Thus in order, East African carriers are expected to welcome:

- 1: A339 RwandAir
- 2: B787 Air Tanzania
- 3: A339 Uganda Airlines
- 4: A351 Ethiopian

Why not open the bets for their first??? :P
- RwandAir to USA
- Air Tanzania or/then Uganda Airlines to LGW
- ET to start Perth or Australia
- UK leaving Europe before June 2020

berari

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:20 pm

eastafspot wrote:

- RwandAir to USA

ET does not have A351s on order, only A359s. I also don't know what it will gain in serving Perth or Australia for that matter. What is the Australia <-> Africa market like excluding that of southern Africa?

alyusuph

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:52 pm

Air Tanzania set for third Boeing Dreamliner to boost fleet to 12 Source: https://www.thecitizen.co.tz/news/Air-T ... index.html

eastafspot
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:52 am

berari wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

- RwandAir to USA

ET does not have A351s on order, only A359s. I also don't know what it will gain in serving Perth or Australia for that matter. What is the Australia <-> Africa market like excluding that of southern Africa?

Thanks for corrections Berari, my bad. :ashamed:
I've read somewhere, probably misleading, than the OZ/NZ market from Africa will come to fruitition one day or another but via ET or QF ...

Anyway, You should definitely lead/moderate/launch the future East(ern) African Aviation 2020 thread :smile:
A.nets expressly needs valuable and knowledgeable members like yourself!
Let me add also these guys, Evanb, Nairobby, Alyusuph and MR02 on this specific thread - they are frequently part of this specific team always contributing to the continental aviation thread in a good way and accept differences and various point of view - which is extremely grateful!

alyusuph wrote:
Air Tanzania set for third Boeing Dreamliner to boost fleet to 12 Source: https://www.thecitizen.co.tz/news/Air-T ... index.html

Fantastic news!
Hope one is dedicated to China to reduce price at Kariakoo market ....

Ti23

Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 am

I think Air Tanzania could have ordered 6A220s instead of 2 in 2016 when they orded TCH and TCI ..the dreamliners could have waited.... Air Tanzania needs to expand its regional base first before connecting to europe and middle east ...

Anyways this month TC will recieve a brand new q400 ..lets see where they will deploy it..my suggestion will be to use it domestically and one of A220s can be used to Nairobi route ..

The Joburg route was one of most profitable to Air Tz lets see in the coming year ..with good TC prices we could have even deployed 787 to Joburg
I hate to see the 787 parked at T2 with no proper routes to deploy them ..the Goverment should solve the SA problem quickly...

factsonly

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:21 am

Following the delivery of KLM's 3rd B787-10 last week, starting 16 November 2019, KLM operates its brand new B787-10 on both:

- AMS-NBO-AMS
- AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS

East Africa is the first region to receive multiple KL B787-10 flights.

alyusuph

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:14 am

Ti23 wrote:
I think Air Tanzania could have ordered 6A220s instead of 2 in 2016 when they orded TCH and TCI ..the dreamliners could have waited.... Air Tanzania needs to expand its regional base first before connecting to europe and middle east ...

Anyways this month TC will recieve a brand new q400 ..lets see where they will deploy it..my suggestion will be to use it domestically and one of A220s can be used to Nairobi route ..

The Joburg route was one of most profitable to Air Tz lets see in the coming year ..with good TC prices we could have even deployed 787 to Joburg
I hate to see the 787 parked at T2 with no proper routes to deploy them ..the Goverment should solve the SA problem quickly...

They are getting more A220, if not one more....

alyusuph

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:24 am

Ti23 wrote:

ATCL needs to return to Joburg urgently. if they were flying so that they can schedule Joburg Mumbai, Joburg BKK, and Joburg Guangzhou. I think ATCL also needs more fifth freedom routes such as DAR Lagos London, DAR Mumbai Bangkok, DAR Mumbai Guangzhou, Dar Mumbai London etc. They also need to step up the AC turnarounds whilst the ACs are still new.

HaulSudson

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:09 pm

eastafspot wrote:
Cunard wrote:
eastafspot

Sorry for the late reply CUNARD!
TBH, we are in the same boat - awaiting for news.as when TC would start its European operations.
Instead of what you mentioned ( JRO-DAR-LGW), a double touch in Europe - UK + Germany and/or Switzerland/France would make more sense these days!

- RwandAir to USA

Uganda airlines ordered the A338

Those might become collector's items 8-)

nairobby

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:48 pm

factsonly wrote:
Following the delivery of KLM's 3rd B787-10 last week, starting 16 November 2019, KLM operates its brand new B787-10 on both:

- AMS-NBO-AMS
- AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS

Much needed upgrade from the 747. Air France-KLM is now sending their latest metal to NBO

nairobby

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:50 pm

On the other hand Lufthansa group (LH & Swiss) are sending much older metal to NBO...which I don't like

berari

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:21 pm

nairobby wrote:
factsonly wrote:

- AMS-NBO-AMS
- AMS-JRO-DAR-AMS

Much needed upgrade from the 747. Air France-KLM is now sending their latest metal to NBO

One might think it's likely because there's more competition now in LH and AF (although it's them still,) and KQ emerging as a competitor going forward. Many airlines have returned to NBO in recent years, and the offering has to keep up.

MrGtheSheepA346

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 pm

mr02

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:37 am

Air Tanzania to partner with Uganda Airlines.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... a-airlines

berari

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:52 am

Trying to find a seat on Ethiopian Airlines this December, going east from North American points, is impossible. Despite their recent equipment upgrade to the A350 to YYZ, zero seats available most days out of there. ORD is also seeing the B77L. Have never seen it like this, and the fares ain't low either! They're doing something right!

For the record I'd love to see the A350 on all their North American flights, especially IAD and ORD where there's potential and feed.

Blerg

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:48 am

berari wrote:
Trying to find a seat on Ethiopian Airlines this December, going east from North American points, is impossible. Despite their recent equipment upgrade to the A350 to YYZ, zero seats available most days out of there. ORD is also seeing the B77L. Have never seen it like this, and the fares ain't low either! They're doing something right!

For the record I'd love to see the A350 on all their North American flights, especially IAD and ORD where there's potential and feed.

It could also be that their brand is much stronger now so people are familiar with them and have no problems booking flights. No one likes to book a long-haul flight on an airline they never heard of before. Not to mention that Ethiopia as a country doesn't have the best reputation. ET is doing a great job changing that.

leghorn

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:52 am

That map of Mogadishu Airport has everything on it short of "Here be Dragons" and pictures of Krakens and giant eels

nairobby

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:24 am

SR380

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:23 am

Hey guys! I need some help! According to this article of "Simple Flying":

https://www.google.com/amp/s/simpleflyi ... urope/amp/

Air Zim seems to have its 390+M$ depts paid for? Or am I mistaken?

Also, the article mentioned a possible route to Europe in 2020. Knowing the soap opera Air Zim is, let's not celebrate to fast but what are the changes of an airlines flying old MH 772 with outdated cabin product, while new airlines such as Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and the legacy's one are already in the game with superior product?

Thanks!

SR380

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:36 am

New published article:

https://www.newsday.co.zw/2019/12/airzi ... -5-planes/

Now it seems the airline wants to have up to 8 aircrafts in 2020, and the dept seems to have been paid for throught "innovatives" mechanisms"!

The transport minister plan to take deliveries of the four B772 from Malaysia and speaks about "refurbishments", so maybe they are working on updating the cabin product too.

I assume the rest of the fleet will include two E145 and two A320.

It also seems that the airlines will keep its name, trading as Air Zimbabwe and not Zimbabwe Airways.

After all the soap opera this airline has been, "ordering" Il-96, A345, A380, this might be the beginning of something new. Fingers crossed!

mr02

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:34 pm

SR380 wrote:
New published article:

https://www.newsday.co.zw/2019/12/airzi ... -5-planes/

Now it seems the airline wants to have up to 8 aircrafts in 2020, and the dept seems to have been paid for throught "innovatives" mechanisms"!

The transport minister plan to take deliveries of the four B772 from Malaysia and speaks about "refurbishments", so maybe they are working on updating the cabin product too.

I assume the rest of the fleet will include two E145 and two A320.

It also seems that the airlines will keep its name, trading as Air Zimbabwe and not Zimbabwe Airways.

After all the soap opera this airline has been, "ordering" Il-96, A345, A380, this might be the beginning of something new. Fingers crossed!

The contrary actually.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/amp/sunday- ... -grounded/

berari

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:44 am

Kenya Airways posts profita warning. In a notice signed by Kenya Airways Board Chair Michael Joseph, the troubled airline blamed the performance on stiff competition.

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/busine ... index.html

eastafspot
Topic Author

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:07 am

berari wrote:
Kenya Airways posts profita warning. In a notice signed by Kenya Airways Board Chair Michael Joseph, the troubled airline blamed the performance on stiff competition.

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/busine ... index.html

Future CEO will have a tough job - not sure long term solutions even exist to save the airline...

eastafspot
Topic Author

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:10 am

Just flew Uganda Airlines last week from Entebbe to Bujumbura :smile:
Very good overall experience
Full trip report with photos just here :

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1437263

Blerg

Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:37 am

eastafspot wrote:

That's a great trip report, thanks. Hopefully loads improve as time goes by. What I found interesting is how late the pilots told the crew to take their seats for landing, I guess he must have forgotten.

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Blerg wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

That's a great trip report, thanks. Hopefully loads improve as time goes by.

Wow, many thanks Blerg for reading and your feedbacks, I've just realized this only now - my bad! :guilty:
Many Burundians are now living, settled in or refugees in Uganda - first from 1993 and more recently due to the 2015 troubles plus political issues with Rwanda those days (Rwanda vs Uganda + Rwanda vs Burundi :mad: ) that prevent them from travelling directly via Kigali to Bujumbura. The community is not as big as South Sudaneses or Ethiopians but - like some of Jo'burg suburbs full of Congoleses or Nigerians (for the latter maybe less now :oops: ), Kirundi is widely spoken on certain streets of Kampala! A 3x weekly service seems perfect to emulate the demand! Let's how it goes!

Blerg wrote:
What I found interesting is how late the pilots told the crew to take their seats for landing, I guess he must have forgotten.

Can you guess what? I did the exact same remark when watching the video afterwards. :laughing:
Pilot must have forgotten but on the other hand, on an Air Tanzania flight from Kigoma to Bujumbura in 2014, why did the pilot act the similar in this very short video?
:arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q780e8oe2mQ

It must be a (bad) African pilot habit... :shhh:

eastafspot
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:10 pm

:arrow: Ethiopian Airlines, Boeing partner to help those in need:
*Two humanitarian delivery 787 flights bring more than 53,000 pounds of aid supplies to Ethiopia.
Are these the 18th and 19th or 20th 787 planes to ET? And to replace what?

Not too much info here:
https://ajot.com/news/ethiopian-airline ... se-in-need

:arrow: Air Tanzania 787 chartered flights to Hangzhou to start in February 2020:
Flight will depart Dar on Feb 24th at 6pm and arrive in Hangzhou in the morning of 25th.
Return flight from Hangzhou on the 25th with 262 tourists to Dar. They will stay for 7 days.
Second flight will depart on March 2nd and return on the next day.
Then on from April there will be one weekly flight to Hangzhou.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost ... count=1063

:arrow: RwandAir enters partnership to increase travellers’ savings:
"The new offering enables customers to conveniently pre-purchase RwandAir flights at the best available price and decide when they want to travel at a later date."

https://www.newtimes.co.rw/business/rwa ... rs-savings

Also, the delivery of the A330neo is postponed until further notice, which means that the Big Apple will welcome RwandAir plane not before 2021 :crossfingers:

Best wishes to all of you and safe landings for 2020! :airplane:

Next year will see some amazing news too for Eastern African airlines! :smile:

qf789

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:03 pm

Please continue discussion in East African Aviation Thread - 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437959
Forum Moderator