• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:01 am

chepos wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
phlsfo wrote:

Something that I think a lot of people here are not considering is where these extra transatlantic flights and potentially transpacific flights will go? A-West in the evenings is already over capacity, with AA shuffling aircraft around to make room for all the arrivals, having to use remote parking stands for some international arrivals, and even QR is towing to a remote stand while on the ground. Most gates in A-West in the afternoon are in constant use. Unless they plan on adding morning flights, it is going to be difficult to make more room without drastic changes.


I always thought about that too. Do you or anyone else know the gate usage between 9-11pm at A-West? Maybe that could be a second bank of translantic flights to more leisure friendly destinations. I can’t really see A-west gate expansion the way it’s desgned but who knows


During the busy summer season all AA TA flights when operating on time are gone by 1000 pm. After that time the BA late evening LHR is the last long haul departure out of A terminal. The complication is the Caribbean international arrivals come in from 600 pm on taking up space at CBP capable gates, coupled with the European arrivals it makes for a busy place.
Last edited by Bigant0408 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:03 am

chepos wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
phlsfo wrote:

Something that I think a lot of people here are not considering is where these extra transatlantic flights and potentially transpacific flights will go? A-West in the evenings is already over capacity, with AA shuffling aircraft around to make room for all the arrivals, having to use remote parking stands for some international arrivals, and even QR is towing to a remote stand while on the ground. Most gates in A-West in the afternoon are in constant use. Unless they plan on adding morning flights, it is going to be difficult to make more room without drastic changes.


I always thought about that too. Do you or anyone else know the gate usage between 9-11pm at A-West? Maybe that could be a second bank of translantic flights to more leisure friendly destinations. I can’t really see A-west gate expansion the way it’s desgned but who knows


During the busy summer season all AA TA flights when operating on time are gone by 1000 pm. After that time the BA late evening LHR is the last long haul departure out of A terminal. The complication is the Caribbean international arrivals come in from 600 pm on taking up space at CBP capable gates, coupled with the European arrivals it makes for a busy place.


With that being said sound like for summer anyway any potential international service non AA would have to be from a foreign airline that wouldn’t mind departing late at night. Overall upcoming years will be interesting with gate utilization
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:04 am

What gates and concourses can handle international flights?
 
crownvic
Posts: 2464
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:18 am

Back in the day, Delta operated L1011s, 767s & DC-10s and NWA had DC-10s from 'E', United had D10s, 767s and 747s at 'D', Eastern operated L1011 & A300s and National had DC-10s from 'C', while TWA operated from 'B' with L1011 and 767s. In other words, wide-bodies operated from all concourses at PHL in the past, so why can't they do it now to alleviate the 'A' gates? I would think that wide-body domestic flights and Caribbean flights could use the B and C gates as a reliever. Does AA ever park wide-bodies at B or C anymore?
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
What gates and concourses can handle international flights?


Outbound all concourses can, I have seen GLA and other 757 TA flights out of B con, as well as some island flights. The issue becomes inbound flights that require customs clearance.
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:32 am

Does anyone know if PHL is ever going to get a in ground fueling system?
 
PHLCVGAMTK
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:54 am

The terminal congestion at peak is a big reason why I would actually expect PHL-NRT to start on AA metal, much as I would love to see a JL tsurumaru in Philadelphia. Given that the flight would be relying on connecting traffic on both ends, it would most likely have to mirror the schedules of existing NRT-NYC and NRT-BOS flights, departing PHL around midday and arriving PHL in the early afternoon. On JL metal, that's a long period on the ground at a remote stand in PHL, but with an AA 787, that's a 3 hour spin in NRT, and eastbound bird can be spun for a peak-hour TATL while the westbound departure can come off of the latest-arriving international the night previously.

The other factor suggesting a AA flight over a JL flight is that, doing a quick count of flights, the JL-AA joint venture is currently unbalanced in favor of JL doing more of the flying. That's good for passengers, who prefer JL for solid reasons, but assuming the standard clauses in the JV agreement to balance flying to assuage the labor unions, then PHL is a decent place for AA to put a flight, with the competition hours out of the way. That may change if another carrier tries to compete for PHL-Asia; I could see CA or HU being crazy enough to try from PEK once they have the additional slots from the opening of Daxing.

In any event, a PHL-NRT announcement for S20 is obviously on my wish list for 2019. Other international routes I'd like to see announced are:

[*] YVR and YYC. On any airline. I could see an Asian carrier try to steal a march in to PHL with a 5th Freedom flight
[*] Seasonal flights to EDI and SNN upgraded to year-round on A321neo. (SNN probably reliant on the admission of EI into the AA/BA/IB/AY JV, to gain Irish point of sale.)
[*] MUC on LH
[*] FI upgrading KEF to daily and/or year-round.
[*] BOG on AV or PTY on CM.
[*] Re-entry of a Skyteam carrier to CDG or AMS
[*] Summer seasonal flights to BHX, OPO, PDL, again on A321neo, and MXP on A332 or B767. Additional summer seasonal adds to Central Europe, unless those are overtaken by the JV expansion.

Now of course, all of that is contingent on the economy staying strong and the bottom not falling out of the international air travel market in the next 12-18 months, which is not something I would put money on right now. But the above would be my wishlist for PHL if miracles occur.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4031
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:29 pm

crownvic wrote:
Back in the day, Delta operated L1011s, 767s & DC-10s and NWA had DC-10s from 'E', United had D10s, 767s and 747s at 'D', Eastern operated L1011 & A300s and National had DC-10s from 'C', while TWA operated from 'B' with L1011 and 767s. In other words, wide-bodies operated from all concourses at PHL in the past, so why can't they do it now to alleviate the 'A' gates? I would think that wide-body domestic flights and Caribbean flights could use the B and C gates as a reliever. Does AA ever park wide-bodies at B or C anymore?

I agree that outbound international flights can use any terminal. Again, this happens at other busy international airports to make the best use of the FIS capable gates. But to your point, this happened in the past at D and E, but did it ever happen at B and C? Due to the small alley ways and the tight area between the terminal ends and the taxiway, I'm not sure AA can park widebodies at B/C.
 
steeler83
Posts: 7639
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:34 pm

I would love to see more Int'l flying out of PHL. My wish list is having El Al come in and launch TLV-PHL service, but I'm sure that has a snowball's chance in hell of every happening. Also on my wish list is flying to Aisa or at least announcing service to Asia. I believe AA has already shifted a fair amount of its JFK-Europe flights down to PHL giving it a rather impressive level of service to Europe. Longer term, I'd LOVE to see the BA747 and LH747 stick around for as long as possible!!!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:30 pm

Does anyone know how Qatar service is doing? I know a lot of people keep saying the route won’t last even til this day but I feel the scheduled changed from last year has helped them out.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
crownvic
Posts: 2464
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:49 am

usairways85 wrote:
crownvic wrote:
Back in the day, Delta operated L1011s, 767s & DC-10s and NWA had DC-10s from 'E', United had D10s, 767s and 747s at 'D', Eastern operated L1011 & A300s and National had DC-10s from 'C', while TWA operated from 'B' with L1011 and 767s. In other words, wide-bodies operated from all concourses at PHL in the past, so why can't they do it now to alleviate the 'A' gates? I would think that wide-body domestic flights and Caribbean flights could use the B and C gates as a reliever. Does AA ever park wide-bodies at B or C anymore?

I agree that outbound international flights can use any terminal. Again, this happens at other busy international airports to make the best use of the FIS capable gates. But to your point, this happened in the past at D and E, but did it ever happen at B and C? Due to the small alley ways and the tight area between the terminal ends and the taxiway, I'm not sure AA can park widebodies at B/C.


Absolutely and I used to fly out of both B and C on wide-bodies all the time. I can remember the following:

Concourse B: These flights mostly operated out on the end gates.
TW L10/767 to ORD, STL and LAX. TW also would sub 741s occasionally.
DL D10s to ATL and LGA (later moved to Concourse E)

Concourse C: National operated out at the end of C. Eastern placed the L10/A3B out at the end as well, but also used inner gates between B and C for wide-bodies as well.
EA L10s and A3B to MIA, MCO, FLL, ATL, YYZ, SYR, SJU
NA D10s to MIA and LGA
 
User avatar
phlsfo
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:18 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:33 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Does anyone know if PHL is ever going to get a in ground fueling system?


It is already there. They just can't use it due to environmental issues. But they do indeed have it.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4031
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:43 pm

crownvic wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
crownvic wrote:
Back in the day, Delta operated L1011s, 767s & DC-10s and NWA had DC-10s from 'E', United had D10s, 767s and 747s at 'D', Eastern operated L1011 & A300s and National had DC-10s from 'C', while TWA operated from 'B' with L1011 and 767s. In other words, wide-bodies operated from all concourses at PHL in the past, so why can't they do it now to alleviate the 'A' gates? I would think that wide-body domestic flights and Caribbean flights could use the B and C gates as a reliever. Does AA ever park wide-bodies at B or C anymore?

I agree that outbound international flights can use any terminal. Again, this happens at other busy international airports to make the best use of the FIS capable gates. But to your point, this happened in the past at D and E, but did it ever happen at B and C? Due to the small alley ways and the tight area between the terminal ends and the taxiway, I'm not sure AA can park widebodies at B/C.


Absolutely and I used to fly out of both B and C on wide-bodies all the time. I can remember the following:

Concourse B: These flights mostly operated out on the end gates.
TW L10/767 to ORD, STL and LAX. TW also would sub 741s occasionally.
DL D10s to ATL and LGA (later moved to Concourse E)

Concourse C: National operated out at the end of C. Eastern placed the L10/A3B out at the end as well, but also used inner gates between B and C for wide-bodies as well.
EA L10s and A3B to MIA, MCO, FLL, ATL, YYZ, SYR, SJU
NA D10s to MIA and LGA

But that sounds like ~30 years ago. Has there been a reconfiguration of B and C when US Air grew there through the 90's?
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Frontier resuming PHL service to RDU service 3x weekly. I'm sure more expansion is coming soon.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
TheFlyGuy
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
Frontier resuming PHL service to RDU service 3x weekly. I'm sure more expansion is coming soon.


Over on the Frontier Airlines Network Thread, a poster mentioned that PHL became a pilot base as of 1/1/2019 and that the airline is ramping up staffing at the airport which likely indicates further expansion at PHL by F9.

I would expect this will include the return of some routes operated previously by F9 at PHL, but perhaps some new destinations as well. Some of the routes I could see them trying from PHL include DTW, IND, CMH, CLE, MSP, and SDF. Perhaps they will try a route not currently served nonstop from PHL by another carrier such as TUL, ICT, LIT or ABQ. One thing I appreciate about F9 is that when they’ve launched new nonstop flights to unserved destinations from PHL in the past, AA has responded several times by launching the same route. Examples that come to mind are MSN, OMA, DSM and SRQ, as none of these were operated by AA nonstop from PHL until F9 announced these routes.

Additionally, I’d also like to see F9 increase the number of destinations with daily (7x weekly) service from PHL. Currently, I believe MCO, RSW, TPA, DEN & SJU are flown daily.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:45 am

TheFlyGuy wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
Frontier resuming PHL service to RDU service 3x weekly. I'm sure more expansion is coming soon.


Over on the Frontier Airlines Network Thread, a poster mentioned that PHL became a pilot base as of 1/1/2019 and that the airline is ramping up staffing at the airport which likely indicates further expansion at PHL by F9.

I would expect this will include the return of some routes operated previously by F9 at PHL, but perhaps some new destinations as well. Some of the routes I could see them trying from PHL include DTW, IND, CMH, CLE, MSP, and SDF. Perhaps they will try a route not currently served nonstop from PHL by another carrier such as TUL, ICT, LIT or ABQ. One thing I appreciate about F9 is that when they’ve launched new nonstop flights to unserved destinations from PHL in the past, AA has responded several times by launching the same route. Examples that come to mind are MSN, OMA, DSM and SRQ, as none of these were operated by AA nonstop from PHL until F9 announced these routes.

Additionally, I’d also like to see F9 increase the number of destinations with daily (7x weekly) service from PHL. Currently, I believe MCO, RSW, TPA, DEN & SJU are flown daily.


Yea competition with F9 and AA is def good for the customer. I believe F9 utilizes 3 gates so I believe expansion will definitely increase at a good rate hopefully. As another poster stated maybe they can expand past Denver this time around.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
usairways85
Posts: 4031
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:28 am

TheFlyGuy wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
Frontier resuming PHL service to RDU service 3x weekly. I'm sure more expansion is coming soon.


Over on the Frontier Airlines Network Thread, a poster mentioned that PHL became a pilot base as of 1/1/2019 and that the airline is ramping up staffing at the airport which likely indicates further expansion at PHL by F9.

I would expect this will include the return of some routes operated previously by F9 at PHL, but perhaps some new destinations as well. Some of the routes I could see them trying from PHL include DTW, IND, CMH, CLE, MSP, and SDF. Perhaps they will try a route not currently served nonstop from PHL by another carrier such as TUL, ICT, LIT or ABQ. One thing I appreciate about F9 is that when they’ve launched new nonstop flights to unserved destinations from PHL in the past, AA has responded several times by launching the same route. Examples that come to mind are MSN, OMA, DSM and SRQ, as none of these were operated by AA nonstop from PHL until F9 announced these routes.

Additionally, I’d also like to see F9 increase the number of destinations with daily (7x weekly) service from PHL. Currently, I believe MCO, RSW, TPA, DEN & SJU are flown daily.

F9's model is mainly less than daily flights aside from the flights to DEN or large volume warm weather destinations. And they won't deviate from their model of summer and winter seasonal routes. You are not going to see PHL-DTW, IND, CMH, CLE, etc. outside of April-October. I am rather curious about where else they can expand. I think they are already up to 20-30 flights/day in the summer.
 
crownvic
Posts: 2464
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:30 am

usairways85 wrote:
crownvic wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
I agree that outbound international flights can use any terminal. Again, this happens at other busy international airports to make the best use of the FIS capable gates. But to your point, this happened in the past at D and E, but did it ever happen at B and C? Due to the small alley ways and the tight area between the terminal ends and the taxiway, I'm not sure AA can park widebodies at B/C.


Absolutely and I used to fly out of both B and C on wide-bodies all the time. I can remember the following:

Concourse B: These flights mostly operated out on the end gates.
TW L10/767 to ORD, STL and LAX. TW also would sub 741s occasionally.
DL D10s to ATL and LGA (later moved to Concourse E)

Concourse C: National operated out at the end of C. Eastern placed the L10/A3B out at the end as well, but also used inner gates between B and C for wide-bodies as well.
EA L10s and A3B to MIA, MCO, FLL, ATL, YYZ, SYR, SJU
NA D10s to MIA and LGA

But that sounds like ~30 years ago. Has there been a reconfiguration of B and C when US Air grew there through the 90's?


Actually, in some cases, 40+ years ago. While I am long gone out of PHL, I still fly back there a few times per year and "underneath the paint", a lot of it still seems to be the original structure. What I cannot answer is, perhaps taxiways have been adjusted that may preclude wide-bodies from parking on the concourse end gates.

PHL, has some neat history in it's physical structure. The original terminal built in the early to mid 1950s, actually still exists today, including the brick facade on the airside between Terminals B and C. Most of the expansion was either built over the existing terminal or on the outer fringes (i,e, earlier Concourse E, then A and F). For those of us that grew up there, the original Concourse D was mostly United gates. In the late 60s, they raised the end section to accommodate the DC-10/747 generation that was coming. For those arriving on Delta flights today, that now occupy Terminal D, the "ramp" inside the terminal still exists today where the rise in the terminal is, but the 747-100s and DC-10s from these gates are long gone :(
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:05 pm

A new airline Sun Country added seasonal service from MSP to PHL 4x weekly starting April 18th
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:25 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
A new airline Sun Country added seasonal service from MSP to PHL 4x weekly starting April 18th


I'm probably one of the few who didn't expect this route to happen. Good for the consumer. I'm curious as to which gate/terminal it will serve out of PHL
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
User avatar
757usairways
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Some more PHL announcesments today. Frontier adds PHL-ATL/RDU/LAS/MYR/PNS
http://www.philly.com/business/frontier ... 90108.html
 
OslPhlWasChi
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:29 pm

More F9 announcements today for PHL:

Atlanta (ATL): 3x A320 begins April 30 (this was last flown two summers ago I believe)
Las Vegas (LAS): daily A320 begins April 30 (first time F9 is overflying DEN - many expected this route to come)
Myrtle Beach (MYR): 3x A320 begins April 30
Pensacola (PNS): 3x A320 begins May 1
Raleigh-Durham (RDU): 3x A320 begins April 30 (already announced, this was last flown two summers ago I believe)

http://www.philly.com/business/frontier ... 90108.html

Clearly this is enabled by the fleet expansion. Great to see them try overflying DEN and returning to high traffic, competitive routes like ATL and RDU. Especially given WN has been pulling back on the route, I am very optimistic LAS will convert to year round. Maybe the same will happen with ATL and RDU given they are also focus cities but these are competitive markets so time will tell. Note that they are competing with both AA and NK on MYR.

Per the article, note that this will bring the peak daily departures at PHL to 19 this summer.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4031
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 am

PHL is loading up on the redeyes

AS: SEA/PDX/LAX/SFO - PHL
F9: SJU/DEN/LAS/DFW/IAH - PHL
NK: LAX/LAS - PHL
 
jetsetter629
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:22 am

usairways85 wrote:
PHL is loading up on the redeyes

AS: SEA/PDX/LAX/SFO - PHL
F9: SJU/DEN/LAS/DFW/IAH - PHL
NK: LAX/LAS - PHL


Hahah the 'red eyes' of DFW, IAH, and SJU :roll:
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:27 am

I guess those new taxiways getting broken in this summer 8-)
 
usairways85
Posts: 4031
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:46 pm

The F9 PHL summer schedule so far:

ATL: 3x weekly
LAS: 7x
MYR: 3x
PNS: 3x
RDU: 3x
MCO: 17x
SJU: 7x
DEN: 7x
TPA: 7x
AUS: 4x
IAH: 4x
DFW: 3x
SAV: 3x
OMA: 2x
MCI: 3x
CUN: 4x
CHS: 3x
CLT: 4x
CVG: 3x
RSW: 5x
JAX: 4x
MSN: 2x
MEM: 2x
MIA: 4x
MKE: 3x
MBJ: 3x
MYR: 3x
BNA: 4x
MSY: 5x
PUJ: 3x
_______________
=164 flights a week
= 23.4 flights a day
So while in reality F9 only has at most 19 flights a day on their busiest weekday the average comes out a bit higher
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:43 pm

usairways85 wrote:
The F9 PHL summer schedule so far:

ATL: 3x weekly
LAS: 7x
MYR: 3x
PNS: 3x
RDU: 3x
MCO: 17x
SJU: 7x
DEN: 7x
TPA: 7x
AUS: 4x
IAH: 4x
DFW: 3x
SAV: 3x
OMA: 2x
MCI: 3x
CUN: 4x
CHS: 3x
CLT: 4x
CVG: 3x
RSW: 5x
JAX: 4x
MSN: 2x
MEM: 2x
MIA: 4x
MKE: 3x
MBJ: 3x
MYR: 3x
BNA: 4x
MSY: 5x
PUJ: 3x
_______________
=164 flights a week
= 23.4 flights a day
So while in reality F9 only has at most 19 flights a day on their busiest weekday the average comes out a bit higher


I must say that's very impressive and glad to see they'e making even more moves with PHL. I can imagine more routes are to come with one or two possible being cut like MEM and MSN maybe. Great job with the breakdown
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Spirit will start service to San Juan this May

Philadelphia, PA (PHL) - San Juan, PR (SJU) May 23, 2019 Daily, year-round
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
usairways85
Posts: 4031
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 am

Nice add, but with an ULCC already on PHL-SJU I would have liked to see B6.

And PHL seems to be on a tear as of late...just with ULCC's
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:42 am

usairways85 wrote:
Nice add, but with an ULCC already on PHL-SJU I would have liked to see B6.

And PHL seems to be on a tear as of late...just with ULCC's


I agree with B6 adding a PHL-SJU flight but it seems like B6 is not in a expanding mood lately.

Are the LCC and ULCC pretty much maxed out at Terminal E?
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:20 am

usairways85 wrote:
Nice add, but with an ULCC already on PHL-SJU I would have liked to see B6.

And PHL seems to be on a tear as of late...just with ULCC's


I thought the same thing I really thought JetBlue would have been next. I know they mentioned possible starting service a few years ago but seem like they’re focus on their hubs only now.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
TheFlyGuy
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:38 am

Nice add by NK. Hopefully this flight will be timed better than the F9 flight to SJU that arrives at 2:19 AM.

I wish we would see a carrier start daily service to SDQ since AA currently just operates the route seasonally and even then only on Saturdays I believe.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4031
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 pm

PHL released their Nov pax numbers

Month
Domestic: +4.6%, International: +10.7%

YTD
Domestic: +7.5%, International: +5.7%
Pax: 29,165,480 (only 400,000 less than the entire year of 2017)

The percentages are likely a bit high because of the down year that 2017 was. Regardless, PHL is on pace for ~32 million pax for 2018.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:02 pm

TheFlyGuy wrote:
Nice add by NK. Hopefully this flight will be timed better than the F9 flight to SJU that arrives at 2:19 AM.

I wish we would see a carrier start daily service to SDQ since AA currently just operates the route seasonally and even then only on Saturdays I believe.


After doing a dummy booking looks like the times will be PHL-SJU 3:30 PM-7:48 PM and SJU-PHL 10:30 AM-2:34 PM. I feel this schedule is way more reasonable than F9 timing for sure.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
Delta717
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2000 8:56 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:31 pm

FYI - EK203 (A380) diverted to PHL, and according to FR24 is still on the ground right now.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Delta717 wrote:
FYI - EK203 (A380) diverted to PHL, and according to FR24 is still on the ground right now.


Funny I was just about to post about this. Always a site to see a A380 in PHL granted they are all diversions.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Delta717 wrote:
FYI - EK203 (A380) diverted to PHL, and according to FR24 is still on the ground right now.


Funny I was just about to post about this. Always a site to see a A380 in PHL granted they are all diversions.


Damm wish I could get to the airport in time for some photos. :hissyfit:
 
crownvic
Posts: 2464
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:23 am

usairways85 wrote:
PHL released their Nov pax numbers

Month
Domestic: +4.6%, International: +10.7%

YTD
Domestic: +7.5%, International: +5.7%
Pax: 29,165,480 (only 400,000 less than the entire year of 2017)

The percentages are likely a bit high because of the down year that 2017 was. Regardless, PHL is on pace for ~32 million pax for 2018.


Not to be a downer, but these are numbers lower than what the airport was doing 20 years ago. :(
 
acentauri
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:35 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:16 am

crownvic wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
PHL released their Nov pax numbers

Month
Domestic: +4.6%, International: +10.7%

YTD
Domestic: +7.5%, International: +5.7%
Pax: 29,165,480 (only 400,000 less than the entire year of 2017)

The percentages are likely a bit high because of the down year that 2017 was. Regardless, PHL is on pace for ~32 million pax for 2018.


Not to be a downer, but these are numbers lower than what the airport was doing 20 years ago. :(

But, the important number is International growth - which is substantial, versus 20 years ago. Trans-Continental growth is also significant.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4031
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:28 pm

crownvic wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
PHL released their Nov pax numbers

Month
Domestic: +4.6%, International: +10.7%

YTD
Domestic: +7.5%, International: +5.7%
Pax: 29,165,480 (only 400,000 less than the entire year of 2017)

The percentages are likely a bit high because of the down year that 2017 was. Regardless, PHL is on pace for ~32 million pax for 2018.


Not to be a downer, but these are numbers lower than what the airport was doing 20 years ago. :(

I think we can agree PHL is shooting well below it's weight compared to the size of the city. But 20 years ago, didn't US Air have something like 500 flights a day. PHL has evolved, especially part of AA where it is now ~67% O&D paxs and not the connecting hub it once was. I'd be curious of those numbers 20 years ago, how many were O&D and how many were connections as a product of a larger hub.
 
TheFlyGuy
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 pm

Per an article in the PBJ today, F9 is planning to have 180 pilots based at PHL by YE 2019, which is a likely indicator of continued expansion by F9 at PHL.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphi ... s_headline

The new F9 pilot base at PHL will join the airlines existing pilot bases at DEN, MCO, LAS and ORD.
 
Bigant0408
Topic Author
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 pm

TheFlyGuy wrote:
Per an article in the PBJ today, F9 is planning to have 180 pilots based at PHL by YE 2019, which is a likely indicator of continued expansion by F9 at PHL.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphi ... s_headline

The new F9 pilot base at PHL will join the airlines existing pilot bases at DEN, MCO, LAS and ORD.


Well that's good to hear. I wonder if the pilot base will included TTN airport since it is close by. I also wonder if F9 will try to acquire more gates at PHL for further expansion.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed
 
KIA9298
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:09 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:59 pm

Anyone find it odd that AA does not have a flight to DEN today? The winter schedule from PHL-DEN is very sparse - while often 3X per day in summer... UA 2X today, F9 2X or 1X, and WN 2X per day. Very odd...
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:42 pm

KIA9298 wrote:
Anyone find it odd that AA does not have a flight to DEN today? The winter schedule from PHL-DEN is very sparse - while often 3X per day in summer... UA 2X today, F9 2X or 1X, and WN 2X per day. Very odd...


Well if I were to guess, there is no connections in DEN for AA fliers but for UA it's their hub same with F9. Also Tuesday and Wednesdays is slow travel days so I guess AA sees no value for them in the winter.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 pm

usairways85 wrote:
PHL released their Nov pax numbers

Month
Domestic: +4.6%, International: +10.7%

YTD
Domestic: +7.5%, International: +5.7%
Pax: 29,165,480 (only 400,000 less than the entire year of 2017)

The percentages are likely a bit high because of the down year that 2017 was. Regardless, PHL is on pace for ~32 million pax for 2018.


Is this January 2018 to November 2018 or December 2017 to November 2018?
 
KIA9298
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:09 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:52 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
KIA9298 wrote:
Anyone find it odd that AA does not have a flight to DEN today? The winter schedule from PHL-DEN is very sparse - while often 3X per day in summer... UA 2X today, F9 2X or 1X, and WN 2X per day. Very odd...


Well if I were to guess, there is no connections in DEN for AA fliers but for UA it's their hub same with F9. Also Tuesday and Wednesdays is slow travel days so I guess AA sees no value for them in the winter.


Makes sense - just would think they’d be able to support a nonstop daily, being that they often have three nonstops in the summer. Admittedly selfish reasons on my part.
 
usairways85
Posts: 4031
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 11:59 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
PHL released their Nov pax numbers

Month
Domestic: +4.6%, International: +10.7%

YTD
Domestic: +7.5%, International: +5.7%
Pax: 29,165,480 (only 400,000 less than the entire year of 2017)

The percentages are likely a bit high because of the down year that 2017 was. Regardless, PHL is on pace for ~32 million pax for 2018.


Is this January 2018 to November 2018 or December 2017 to November 2018?

The month numbers are Nov 2017 vs. Nov 2018

The YTD numbers are Jan 2017 - Nov 2017 vs. Jan 2018 - Nov 2018
 
crownvic
Posts: 2464
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 am

usairways85 wrote:
crownvic wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
PHL released their Nov pax numbers

Month
Domestic: +4.6%, International: +10.7%

YTD
Domestic: +7.5%, International: +5.7%
Pax: 29,165,480 (only 400,000 less than the entire year of 2017)

The percentages are likely a bit high because of the down year that 2017 was. Regardless, PHL is on pace for ~32 million pax for 2018.


Not to be a downer, but these are numbers lower than what the airport was doing 20 years ago. :(

I think we can agree PHL is shooting well below it's weight compared to the size of the city. But 20 years ago, didn't US Air have something like 500 flights a day. PHL has evolved, especially part of AA where it is now ~67% O&D paxs and not the connecting hub it once was. I'd be curious of those numbers 20 years ago, how many were O&D and how many were connections as a product of a larger hub.


Yes, USAir was quite large in those days. I unfortunately don't have the time to research the numbers from back then, but IIRC, the airport was doing around 32M per year, but don't quote me. I know there is a FAA web site with historical airport data that should answer the questions of PHL during the US peak.
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 am

KIA9298 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
KIA9298 wrote:
Anyone find it odd that AA does not have a flight to DEN today? The winter schedule from PHL-DEN is very sparse - while often 3X per day in summer... UA 2X today, F9 2X or 1X, and WN 2X per day. Very odd...


Well if I were to guess, there is no connections in DEN for AA fliers but for UA it's their hub same with F9. Also Tuesday and Wednesdays is slow travel days so I guess AA sees no value for them in the winter.


Makes sense - just would think they’d be able to support a nonstop daily, being that they often have three nonstops in the summer. Admittedly selfish reasons on my part.


You would think their would be more skiers and snowboarders going I guess it's mostly for business travel in the winter but what do we know. I'm guessing for the summer the DEN is for the European connections. UA is a pretty alternative to AA if not better.
 
880dc8707
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:43 am

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:55 am

Wondering, If AA needs more widebody a/c, could IB (do they have enough extra equip) sub for the AA MAD and/or BCN flights ? Even for the summer, then IB would would have more lift for their South America prime season. Even even substitution would get some different metal in PHL.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos